Showing 20 reviews of 11

Krita

Vector graphic software with a built-in brush repository

Showing 20 reviews of 11

Best free desktop vector graphics tool

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

Krita has been my choice of a vector graphics editing tool, because it's free and still powerful.

Pros

There are many tutorials for Krita out there, which makes it much easier to use the tool. It's packed with features like brushes and shapes. The application also runs smoothly. And it's entirely free!

Cons

You have to look at the small stuff to find flaws in Krita, but I think the tool is due for an interface overhaul, since it seems dated and isn't self-descriptive.

Léon-pierre C.

a program which works well and well to start some photo editing or to always use a Graphic...

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

For me, I have enough confidence in the future of this program. And a point that could be added is to edit or annotate pdf documents that have several and to open them on a scroll of pages and not on several layers because when you save the document becomes one and only one page which is searing after Krita is not directly made for that, but it would have been an added advantage.

Pros

What I like about this program is its value for money. For starters, it is free but above all it is powerful to the point where I can advise it to anyone if they want to have a versatile program in what is drawing, animation photo editing and now vector drawing. but that is only the beginning because the program is always updated (bug correction or addition of new features ...) and topical. In addition, explanatory tutorials are even offered and free to either start from nothing or to go from a program like this one and they are extraordinarily successful.

Cons

Apart from a few bugs here and there, which is rare, the program is relatively correct. What it doesn't have is allow easy use of pins from other apps on it.

Caroline C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Made by artists to artists, the best drawing software, better than the paid ones

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

After trying a lot of drawing software, in the last few months I started using Krita and now I have it as my "friend for whatever comes" the features are incredible and it is much better than the software I used previously and better, it's free! For me, Krita did better or equal to the famous and expensive drawing software.

Pros

The layout is adaptable to the artist's use, it can be changed according to what is most convenient.
The standard brushes are amazing! The textured ones are the most amazing, but the normal ones are not left behind either. In addition, you can import brushes from Ps and create your own, you can also buy Krita brushes or free download them in internet! It has great filter options to refine final art, tools that make the colorization process fast and stabilizer for lineart.

Cons

For me Krita is perfect, the only problem I have to report is not a problem with the software itself but with my computer, sometimes my computer does not work very well, the brush stroke get slow or the keyboard freezes. Krita needs a strong processor and considerable memory to function in full condition.
But it's nothing serious, just save, close and open Krita again!

Binigya D.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Krita - Your gateway to Digital Art

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

Krita, when it worked with my tablet, has been a delight. I loved concept art creation and making some mockups for games. Also, its fantastic community is such a lovely place to be. Using Krita was definitely a pleasant experience for me, with some hiccups, that are bound to be fixed.

Pros

Krita is a great way to get started with Digital Art, like I did. I made some concept art using it and I loved every minute of using it. Here are the main things I like about Krita:

- The default brush pack that comes pre-installed is a delight, so many varieties and options !
- I love the clean and professional UI
- The brush stabilisation feature is the best I have ever used
- Great community for tutorials, tips and general discussion
- It is free!

Cons

While I sincerely appreciate all that Krita has done for the Digital art community, I have a major niggle that led me to abandon it. The compability issues of Krita with non - Wacom graphic tablets is an alarming issue for me. I have an XP-PEN tablet and I have lots of issues when using it with Krita. Frequent lags, non-detection of the pen, pressure sensitivity issues all plauged me, and eventually I had to move somewhere else. But, I will definitely return if the compability issues are worked on, or I get myself a wacom tablet eventually !
And also, photo editing is not Krita's strong suite so if approached as one, Krita will not meet the standards so perfectly. So this could be a deal-breaker for some.

Powerful, plus free and open source

Reviewed on 2020/09/18

Krita was one of the first design tools I used and it allowed me to experiment a lot of different tools and workflows.

Pros

Krita is an excellent tool to get started with vector design. It's free to use but doesn't lack features. It's excellent to use when designing logos and drawings. Definitely a worthy alternative to paid tools out there.

Cons

I have struggled with keyboard shortcuts and sometimes finding the tools I need for a steady workflow. I also experienced some random crashes when editing several files at once. But these are minor details considering just how much this tool provides for free.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great Free Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

I use Krita at least weekly for my digital art and have recommended it to several friends.

Pros

Krita has a lot of the same features as Adobe Photoshop, but is completely free. I use it regularly with my graphic tablet.

Cons

Bit of a learning curve, especially if you have never used a similar product. Lags sometimes on my PC.

Natalie A.

This is a great app

Reviewed on 2021/01/17

I love it!

Pros

I really like the variety of brushes in Krita and the fact that it's absolutely free.

Cons

I did something to my settings and had no idea how to fix it but I got it. It can be confusing for beginners.

• Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Good for creators of digital art

Reviewed on 2020/09/17

Good for small improvements, erase some scribbles and create PNG images.

Pros

It's simple and practical. Faster, cheaper than others. Good structure, icons and intuitive so you can download it and have fun.

Cons

If someone have told me about this software before I would have installed it earlier on my computer.

Alexandre R.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Test with Krita for the creation of logos and pictures in a craft store

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

I am a designer in a store that works with laser machines, paintings and crafts in general so I always use and research a lot of software and Kripta was one I chose because of the effects that brushes can make on prints that we sell to the store. Professions, children and decoration boards get a different touch provided by the resources that the software has to offer, all for free.

Pros

Krita has a variety of impressive features and brushes, among the various tools that I can cite that help a lot and are different from the program are, the effects that each brush can generate, the possibility of creating your own brushes, the easy way to working with layers and an interesting feature that I discovered is the way the line can be drawn according to the intensity you press with the drawing pen

Cons

Krita does not have many negative points, it is a cheap software with many features. It is not always very intuitive when it comes to tools, but that doesn’t make it a bad software, moreover, it can sometimes hang a little bit according to the design you made, and working with texts on it is not so satisfactory

Yonas T.

Amazing

Reviewed on 2020/12/31

GREAT

Pros

Tremendous product that is a great alternative to adobe photoshop. Has almost of the features needed for great picture editing.

Cons

The software sometimes crashes when I run demanding tasks on it.

Robert G.
  • Industry: Music
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Approachable Elegant Software with the Usual Open Source Roadblocks

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Overall, Krita is a very capable product, great for learning, and acceptable for its purposes. In the long run, a user running any kind of enterprise or business will likely want to find a paid product for the Quality Assurance and Support that comes with it.

Pros

It was approachable and pretty full-featured in its design. The docking system is convenient and after a few basics I was able to get a good ways before really having to resort to online materials for extra help. The dock, tile, and brush system are all very solid and flexible. Although the layout is messy in some ways it keeps the main tasks fairly up-front and simple. They also seem to be constantly updating the program. While it doesn't have touch controls, its support for my drawing tablet seemed to be pretty robust (full disclosure, there are so many tablets on the market that it's hard to say whether my experience is representative).

Cons

The cons, sadly, made my time with Krita limited and I soon had to switch to a comparable paid product. These are issues that, in my opinion plague most free open source projects, so your mileage may vary depending on how important "free" is. First, the documentation is lacking. Sometimes it's just what you expect, but because they are constantly adding features for some features the documentation is missing entirely. Secondly, their constant updates and the nature of a collaborative open source product means a lot of features break for extended periods of time while they get around to figuring them out and fixing them. The result of this is that I felt like I was spending as much time talking to (or reading from) other users on Reddits and forums to figure out what a large number of functions were supposed to do, how they were supposed to work, and what any workarounds were for them being broken.

It's due to many similar reasons why I have sworn off open source products in my business, but for students or those without the same concern of clients and running an enterprise, something that works 80% of the time and requires much more involvement might be preferable as it costs 100% less (free!).