Showing 23 reviews of 13

Clip Studio Paint

Vector graphics software for creating comics & illustrations

Showing 23 reviews of 13
Simon L.

The best drawing software, period.

Reviewed on 2021/02/10

CSP is just fantastic and has been a blast to work with! Wouldn't recommend anything else for illustrators.

Pros

+ Plenty of convenient features that speed up and simplify the illustration process
+ Constant, useful updates

Cons

- Badly implemented support for font glyphs and a total lack of support for fonts with alternate glyphs

Martin T.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

CSP is a cheap but complete and intuitive painting software

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

CSP is very easy to use and thanks to that, as someone who used to focus on traditionnal painting/drawing, I now actually enjoy painting numerically.

Pros

- The brush management system is really easy and intuitive to use
- Creating brushes is easy
- You can "paint" using a transparent color, allowing you to paint and undo your mistakes with the same brush instead of having to switch to the eraser tool (which, usually, uses a different brush)
- Brush stabilization feature
- A lot of keybinds are modifyable
- Radial, axial, multi-axial symmetry tools
- Comparatively very cheap

Cons

- No CMYK support
- No "dual brush" feature for brushes
- Would like some additional ruler/perspective features (for isometric perspective, etc)

Caroline C.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Great drawing software!

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

Pros

It is a software with a very intuitive layout and easy to learn for beginners. It is great for comics, in fact very useful for comic artists, and animators too, although not my area, proved to be easy to understand and create a simple animation.

Cons

It seems that the translation was not very good, it is possible to see some words in Japanese and it bothers a little. I found the standard brushes very limited, I've seen programs with a much larger number.
Some filter tools that make a difference are missing here, like liquify, and as it is a paid program and not cheap this is a problem for me.

Aleksandra S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great for small and big projects

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Some of the features CSP offers seemed like a marketing catch, but in the end became part of my pipeline. From working exclusively on cartography and digital painting, I have expanded my horizons to dabbling with webtoons and vector illustration, both made extremely easy and user-friendly with this program.

Pros

Performance of the application is outstanding in comparison to other products of this type; this allowed me to increase the canvas size and open files that would usually slow down the other programs. The asset store is a nice touch, allowing everyone to get additional brushes, patterns, backgrounds and other images for free (or in-program currency), and they're by default allowed for commercial use. That takes a lot of licensing hassle for creators and allows them to focus on their art.

Cons

Some asset features are very CPU heavy and can lag on older machines. Translations can be a bit of a mouthful at a times. Asset store tends to be very slow when browsing. Lack of custom shapes.

Make the same Cartoons you see on TV!!!

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

I use it for sketches coloring and even logos. its a great tool to trace your existing paper drawings also.

Pros

I always wondered how they made some of my favorites shows. With CS Paint you can make any sort of animation you want with optimal customization and quality. You will find yourself spending hours creating custom brushes and sketching scenes. If you want to draw real life animations then Clip studio is you go to program

Cons

There is a pretty stiff learning curve with this one. and it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of other more popular software. Overall these aspects don't take away from the overall usability of the
software.

My Favorite Drawing Program

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

I started using this software on the recommendation of several of my artist friends, and I haven’t looked back since. I draw with it almost every day.

Pros

It just feels good to draw in it. Very natural to use. Have a tone of features and customizable options for getting your setup just the way you want it. Great price to start with, and it is consistently going on sale for like 80% off.

Cons

It also has too many options. It’s customizability can be daunting for new users. And depending on your computer and tablet setup, it can run very slowly before you figure out the right settings.

Clip Studio

Reviewed on 2020/12/12

I think it is a great application that is specifically geared towards illustrators and comic book creators.

Pros

The EX version is quite full featured with powerful inking tools. Cool features of the inking tools include multiple types of brushes, adjustable stabilization for smoother strokes, and vector inking.

Cons

The screen layout can get a bit cluttered, but using a large screen tablet with decent resolution can help mitigate such a situation. There were some issues early on with losing custom settings but that seems to be resolved.

Hayden F.
  • Industry: Animation

My favorite Drawing software to get the job done.

Reviewed on 2020/12/17

I just love working with CSP, it's a great tool for illustration, from conceptualizing to exporting the final piece. There are some features that I cannot live without anymore, and it's just a joy to use this software to create my art. The animation features are also great, but there might be more capable 2D software out there, but it will get the job done.
I still use other software depending on the job I need to perform (Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop and Rebelle), but CSP is my number one tool when I sit in front of my Cintiq. Highly recommended if you want a reliable and fully featured art software.

Pros

Fully featured illustration, and 2D animation software.
Stable and can handle big files like a champ.
Great set of tools for coloring and paining.
Online storage of 10GB and assets that can be easily downloaded and used to make your life easier.
Updates bring more features and tools, so it's constantly improving.

Cons

Not sure if I have any, other than I wish I started using it earlier.

Teya B.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The most amazing drawing app EVER!

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

CSP is the software that I recommend daily to all artist around me. I am a professional illustrator and after I started using Clip Studio Paint I forgot about all Adobe software.
Everything is easier, smoother, better in CSP !

Pros

I don't like this app. I LOVE IT! I am happy that someone finally made an app that is light and fast. It doesn't make your computer die. In the same time it has all the useful tool of other aps + some original, very creative tools that I've seen only in CSP.
I love that the software is so affordable too!

Cons

I never had any issues with the software. however a couple years ago I lost my serial key and had to contact the support team to recover it for me. I don't know if this is the way Japanese support usually behaves, but they didn't feel very friendly at all. Not that they were rude, but they weren't kind and friendly as many other apps support people are. That said, I need to mention that they DID solve my problem. It took long though.

Cheyenne N.

State of the Art

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Overall, CSP is a seriously wonderful, state of the art program. It is much like photoshop and paint tool sai had a baby, but much easier to learn, use and has a lot more perks! A LOT Lighter on the wallet too!

Pros

It's hard to pick what I love most about this program, I love that the developers listen to what we want, it's easy to learn AND tjay there is s large amount of free assets(brushes, patterns etc) available right in the program!

Cons

I think the thing I like least is it can be difficult to get brushes to transfer sometimes.

Alicia B.

Clip Studio Paint Review

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Pros

I have been using CSP for a year or so and I can tell the newest update has really made quite the impact! The aspect that you can import Photoshop brushes has really made a difference. The brush engine takes a little time to learn but it is well worth it and I think the UI is easy to adapt and adjust around to fit anyone's needs. Overall I think its an excellent program and I recommend it to anyone who likes to draw and paint!

Cons

I guess the only suggestion I would have, would be to include different lighting options for the 3D models. Like have a daylight, evening and night time mode for the models. I think it would make it easier to gather the color values more accurately.

Aileen Z.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great software for a very nice price

Reviewed on 2021/02/20

Pros

I'm not an expert by any means, but Clip Studio is as powerful as Photoshop at a fraction of the price. The official tutorials are helpful and the user-contributed assets are great. A great drawing experience.

Cons

There are tons of tools, and learning all of them requires a pretty steep learning curve.

Lisa S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Super Software zum Illustrieren!

Alles super!

Pros

Viele tolle Tricks um Zeit zu sparen im Vergleich zur Konkurrenz wie Photoshop.

Cons

Am Anfang etwas unübersichtlich und sehr viel auf einmal, aber mit der Zeit läuft alles super wenn man sich einmal auskennt.