Clip Studio Paint Reviews

Clip Studio Paint

Vector graphics software for creating comics & illustrations

Aleksandra
Aleksandra
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great for small and big projects

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Some of the features CSP offers seemed like a marketing catch, but in the end became part of my pipeline. From working exclusively on cartography and digital painting, I have expanded my horizons to dabbling with webtoons and vector illustration, both made extremely easy and user-friendly with this program.

Pros

Performance of the application is outstanding in comparison to other products of this type; this allowed me to increase the canvas size and open files that would usually slow down the other programs. The asset store is a nice touch, allowing everyone to get additional brushes, patterns, backgrounds and other images for free (or in-program currency), and they're by default allowed for commercial use. That takes a lot of licensing hassle for creators and allows them to focus on their art.

Cons

Some asset features are very CPU heavy and can lag on older machines. Translations can be a bit of a mouthful at a times. Asset store tends to be very slow when browsing. Lack of custom shapes.

Affinity Designer

Reasons for Choosing Clip Studio Paint

In case of Adobe products, the subscription model has became a motivation killer - feeling obliged to work every single day to make the use of money you've paid, ended up stopping the creativity flow and force me to obsess over the worth of my art. With CSP, I have already purchased it, so I can work whenever and however long I feel like. With Paint Tool SAI, the program has felt outdated for a long while, lacking the core features which forced me to use it alongside other programs. CSP has eliminated the need for that.

Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Clip Studio Paint

Price, non-aggressive advertising, no intrusive third-party DRM, full range of features.

Fantastic Program

Reviewed on 2022/06/23

The program is very affordable, it runs fast, and it has pretty much all the features I look for in an art program. It has added features that previous programs I worked with didn't have as well.

Pros

Clip Studio has grown over the years and has become such an amazing program. Templates for printing, for interactive digital storytelling, animation, comic page layouts, 3D assets to help with the layout of an illustration, vector layers and masking, completely customizable brushes and textures. I cannot say enough good about this program.

Custom brushes and assets are drag and drop install and the program comes with a search window to find other custom assets that users have uploaded.

There's a newer feature that records a time-lapse of what is being drawn.
CSP allows the user to export files in a number of different extensions, including PSD.
There is a cloud feature, and the ability to also use the program on mobile. (the mobile version, however, is subscription.)

Cons

One of the biggest weaknesses is the lack of ability to edit text kerning and allow for that text to follow a path, but I'm hoping this will change in future updates, which this program is always receiving. Otherwise, I really don't have much to complain about.

PaintTool SAI

Reasons for Choosing Clip Studio Paint

Clip studio was vastly cheaper, didn't require a monthly subscription for it's desktop version and has most of the tools I need for all my work. It runs faster and smoother as well. Line art looks so much nicer and whereas I as having many issues with pen pressure in Photoshop, Paint Tool didn't have that problem.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to Clip Studio Paint

Paint Tool SAI is a lovely program but updates are/were few and far between and the copy I had been working with just got too outdated to run well and the newer version was not to be completed for several more years.
Mykel

Clip Studio

Reviewed on 2022/06/09

My experience has been good so far. It has not crashed since I purchased it.

My experience has been good so far. It has not crashed since I purchased it.

Pros

I like the price of this software. it is inexpensive and has so many features. Also it does not use a lot of RAM, which is really impressive

Cons

On MacOs. the canvas is separated from the too bar. Creating two windows instead of one.

Adam

CSP Is A Much Better Choice For Beginners In Digital Art

Reviewed on 2024/02/05

So far so good. I have no issues. I got used to how I work with CSP. since its so good for my artworks, I continued using it.

Pros

You can Open CSP files in Adobe Photoshop and vice versa. So that made me very happy because my Adobe Photoshop kept crashing and Clip Studio paint saved my projects. I highly recommend CSP.

Cons

When I first started, I was a bit lost on how to import new brushes or materials.

Gabrielle

The Artist's Friend

Reviewed on 2023/01/30

Clip Studio Paint makes my artistic process so much easier. I don't have to worry about my shaky hand making my lineart look unpolished because the pen stabilization helps keep my art neat. I have been able to draw a lot and draw much more quickly thanks to the available assets so my creative workflow has improved greatly with this software.

Pros

Clip Studio Paint is an intuitive program that is easy to learn. It has an abundance of user-made assets and tools available to the artist that can be customized within the software. It works well with 3d models, has easy data import and export, and it can save as a .PSD. The pen stabilization and symmetry tools make drawing neatly for those with shaky hands a breeze. Clip Studio Paint cuts my time spent sketching and finalizing my lineart in half so I can focus on perfecting the smaller details on my drawing.

Cons

The vector drawings don't save as "true" or "editable" vectors if you need to send the vector image to someone who works with Adobe Illustrator or another similar program. It is difficult to export a vector illustration into other software because many of the editing points will disappear. It is also difficult to maintain your layers when exporting your project for use in Adobe Photoshop.

Naiiera

Clip Studio as my main drawing app for 1 year

Reviewed on 2022/06/29

My overall experience is excellent. If anyone asks me about drawing apps I suggest Clip Studio at once! The app deserves more than its the actual price, and I'm glad that they offer it at such an accessible price so everyone can get it.

Pros

First of all, I loved how they make it inexpensive, unlike the other drawing apps. It offers unlimited features that one can't cover all at once. I've been using it for more than a year now, and every day I discover a new hidden feature that I don't know about earlier. I like how they always develop it and add more amazing features.

Cons

I just really hate that Ipad/Android version has no one-time purchase plan just like the PC. Also, when I tried to use it on a tablet, I find it very confusing and way more complex than on a PC. Since I have no keyboard for the shortcuts, I need a friendly interface that eases my experience with the touch screen and pencil. So they really need to work on the interface in the tablet version.

Micalen
  • Industry: Computer Games

Clip Studio Paint: The best for comic creation.

Reviewed on 2022/06/26

I've had an overall great experience using Clip Studio Paint. This is a paid software but it's definitely worth the money. I've used it to create a few comics and I highly recommend it for other comic creators and digital artists.

Pros

Clip Studio Paint's best features for me are their Panels/Frames and Text. This is my favorite software to use when creating comics. The paneling feature creates any kind of panel I need and they exist on their own layer so editing is easy. Comic lettering is the best thing to do because Clip Studio Paint has incredible text tools. I can edit its color, shape, size, font, and other cool effects to it. There are a few brushes in Clip Studio Paint that are very useful for drawing. They can also compile my comic to give me a 3D preview which is very helpful when working out placement.

Cons

The only cons I have about Clip Studio Paint is that it's not the most user-friendly at first. It can be rather difficult to learn to navigate but you will learn and then it's not bad. The shortcuts they offer aren't the most helpful for me but others do make good use of them.

Rogelio
Rogelio

Happy accidents everywhere!

Reviewed on 2021/09/25

I love it. Truly love it. I hope they enable the vector export feature soon.
Of course they try...

I love it. Truly love it. I hope they enable the vector export feature soon.
Of course they try to sell you the brushes packs and several other stuff but they are really cheap and good quality and made on collaboration with several artists who use it on their own arts

Pros

It is really easy to learn how to use it, you can start drawing sketches the minute you start it and you can feel like a real pro if you use the stabilizers. Graphixly (Clip Studio) give enough webinars to teach you how to use it and learn by yourself. It is truly free to let you create whatever you want, the way you want it.

If you are a noob like me, you can draw on vectors and correct everything of the drawing you just made without having to re-draw it

Clip Studio lets you export on several formats including webtoons

Cons

You can't draw on exportable vectors as SVG or EPS.

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

An extremely user friendly premium software.

Reviewed on 2022/07/13

I really enjoy using this software, it has helped me up my game with all my drawings. Being able to add 3D objects into my 2D drawings for reference and the number of brushes provided is an absolute game changer. If Clip Studio Paint could make the setup process a little simpler that would be great. With the powerful text editor that Clip Studio Paint provides, I would definitely recommend this software!

Pros

I like the bundles of brushes it offers, I am able to really get those fine lines and shading that my creative side is going for. It works out really great for my 2D drawing and with its powerful text editor, I am able to do lettering and fancy graphic design text. The best feature is how I am able to add 3D objects into 2D drawings for reference.

Cons

The interface is overwhelming at first but you are able to customize it to your liking. When I first started using this type of software, the setup was quite difficult, but once I got all the settings right, then it was a walk in the park.

• Industry: Design

The perfect program for artists!

Reviewed on 2021/09/12

Clip Studio Paint is awesome. I was absolutely enamored with how responsive the program is to my graphics drawing tablet (XP-PEN 13 Pro), and it's perfect.

I have been a daily user for a little now, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Also - I got mine 50% off whenever they were having a sale, so you can't beat that price!

Pros

Tons of features and a library of assets are available at my disposal, it's awesome!

Cons

Because of all of the features, it can take a little more time to learn, but it's well worth it!

Why Clip Studio is my favorite digital art software

Reviewed on 2022/12/19

All in all, the Clip Studio Paint program is a fantastic resource for digital artists, offering an impressive suite of default tools and brushes, as well as a vast online library of user-created assets. With an impressive variety of brushes, as well as the ability to customize and create your own, Clip Studio Paint provides artists with a wide array of textured options to give their work a unique and realistic feel. Whether you want to make something that looks like a traditional oil painting or a modern digital drawing, Clip Studio Paint gives you the tools to achieve it!

Pros

Whether you're just starting out in digital art or you're a seasoned professional, Clip Studio can provide a rich array of tools and resources to suit your needs. I genuinely like this program a lot, as I have used it for several years now. With the variety of tools available, you can take your artwork in any direction that you desire. If you’re creating comics, concept art, illustrations, or anything else, Clip Studio Paint can provide you with the tools you need. Drawing with efficiency and ease is essential for any artist, and especially a professional one at that. The tools and brushes are well made, with much genuine thought and consideration put into them. This makes Clip Studio an incredibly powerful and versatile tool for artists of any level of experience. On top of the quality of the default brushes and tools in this application, there is also an entire community's worth of assets within the program itself that you can download and use. This means that you can find just about anything to suit your artistic needs within the confines of the Clip Studio platform. From basic drawing tools to animation and 3D modeling, Clip Studio Paint is packed with features.

Cons

Recently, Clip Studio had an update that distressed many of its users because it stated they would be changing their payment method to a subscription service. This concerned myself and many others because one of the main appeals of Clip Studio is that it is much more affordable than other digital art software. As an example, Adobe Photoshop is much more expensive and widely used by professional artists, but it caters less to their needs. Clip Studio is a competitor that is more cost-effective, and, as somebody who has used Adobe Photoshop for 2D art, in my opinion, Clip Studio is more feature-rich. Luckily, Clip Studio pushed out a new update saying that they will no longer be pushing the subscription service, genuinely listening to and abiding by their users' needs. So it's no longer a con, but it did really rile up a lot of its users. I will also say that Clip Studio does require a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of it. While this may seem daunting to some, it’s worth investing the time to learn how to use all the features of Clip Studio Paint.

Hayden
Hayden
  • Industry: Animation

My favorite Drawing software to get the job done.

Reviewed on 2020/12/17

I just love working with CSP, it's a great tool for illustration, from conceptualizing to exporting the final piece. There are some features that I cannot live without anymore, and it's just a joy to use this software to create my art. The animation features are also great, but there might be more capable 2D software out there, but it will get the job done.
I still use other software depending on the job I need to perform (Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop and Rebelle), but CSP is my number one tool when I sit in front of my Cintiq. Highly recommended if you want a reliable and fully featured art software.

Pros

Fully featured illustration, and 2D animation software.
Stable and can handle big files like a champ.
Great set of tools for coloring and paining.
Online storage of 10GB and assets that can be easily downloaded and used to make your life easier.
Updates bring more features and tools, so it's constantly improving.

Cons

Not sure if I have any, other than I wish I started using it earlier.

ERIC EMMANUEL SANTOS
ERIC EMMANUEL SANTOS
  • Industry: Animation

Satisfied Clip Studio Paint user.

Reviewed on 2023/11/14

Pros

Low specs requirement, wide variety of downloadable brushes and drawing tools, great for illustration, can do animation projects from scratch to final render, compatible with many type of file format, great app with high resolution output, highly recommended even with beginners.

Cons

Initial use, I had minor trouble memorizing the tools but that I think is also common with other apps for a new user but after a while, I really loved and enjoyed using Clip Studio Paint.

Simon

Perfect Drawing Software

Reviewed on 2021/10/20

Clip Studio Paint is the best drawing software around, with its many smart and clever features unique to it. It's an inexpensive alternative to Adobe Photoshop as well.

Pros

+ Easy way to adjust lineart after drawing
+ Many smart timesaver features (vector eraser, smart fill bucket)

Cons

- limited CMYK support
- no support for variable fonts

Procreate

Reasons for Choosing Clip Studio Paint

For the bigger focus on drawing and illustration and the features enhancing the experience.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to Clip Studio Paint

Available directly on Mac, not just on iOS.
Carl
  • Industry: Design

The Best Illustration Software Around

Reviewed on 2021/06/17

Use it for basically all my illustration, both professional and for fun.

Use it for basically all my illustration, both professional and for fun.

Pros

Basically the industry standard illustration software for everyone from amateur to professional. The price is pretty good to begin with, and it is constantly going on sale. And the ability to sync projects between your desktop and tablet is great.

Cons

Can be a bit of a learning curve, especially if you are switching to it from another software. Has so many settings that it can take a bit to get the workspace set up comfortably.

Teya
Teya
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The most amazing drawing app EVER!

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

CSP is the software that I recommend daily to all artist around me. I am a professional illustrator and after I started using Clip Studio Paint I forgot about all Adobe software.
Everything is easier, smoother, better in CSP !

Pros

I don't like this app. I LOVE IT! I am happy that someone finally made an app that is light and fast. It doesn't make your computer die. In the same time it has all the useful tool of other aps + some original, very creative tools that I've seen only in CSP.
I love that the software is so affordable too!

Cons

I never had any issues with the software. however a couple years ago I lost my serial key and had to contact the support team to recover it for me. I don't know if this is the way Japanese support usually behaves, but they didn't feel very friendly at all. Not that they were rude, but they weren't kind and friendly as many other apps support people are. That said, I need to mention that they DID solve my problem. It took long though.

Martin
  • Industry: Graphic Design

CSP is a cheap but complete and intuitive painting software

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

CSP is very easy to use and thanks to that, as someone who used to focus on traditionnal painting/drawing, I now actually enjoy painting numerically.

Pros

- The brush management system is really easy and intuitive to use
- Creating brushes is easy
- You can "paint" using a transparent color, allowing you to paint and undo your mistakes with the same brush instead of having to switch to the eraser tool (which, usually, uses a different brush)
- Brush stabilization feature
- A lot of keybinds are modifyable
- Radial, axial, multi-axial symmetry tools
- Comparatively very cheap

Cons

- No CMYK support
- No "dual brush" feature for brushes
- Would like some additional ruler/perspective features (for isometric perspective, etc)

Eric
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Confusing

Reviewed on 2023/04/05

Pros

I got a free trial when I purchased my tablet, so that was cool. It looks very capable and professional. There are lots and lots of tools, options, all that.

Cons

I've opened it and tried to use it every few days for the past month with little progress. It took a long time to just figure out how to open a new file. I still have no idea how to insert a file or add a background. Doesn't seem to have a media library, which is ok but it would be nice. I can't figure out how to change the brush or brush size. It's just very confusing and everything is tiny even on a huge tablet.I'm not a professional artist but I've been a hobbyist all of my life and I use other things like this with no problem. I wanted to use it to draw a new logo for our company but so far I can't even draw a stick man with it lol. Please make some how to videos or something.

Ahmad Aufar
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Drawing is Much Easier with Clip Studio Paint

Reviewed on 2023/01/04

I have a lot of problem with perspective drawing. However, with the help of Clip Studio Paint tools and assets, I can master perspective drawing and get a good grade in my school

Pros

It has various drawing flexibility. It also provided a lot of different brushes, from different creators. It also has a very user friendly 3D model interface. There is also vector layer which is very convenient to edit post- creation. The community of Clip Studio Paint is also very creative. Clip Studio Paint has a lot of user created assets posted in their website. With those helps, I can do my drawing task with ease.

Cons

At the beginning, I feel like the user interface is too complicated. I feel like Clip Studio Paint should make a mini tutorial/guide for a beginner. However as I used it more often, it is fine. It also has little option in text and Fonts

Molly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Clipstudio is a good art program

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Clip Studio is great! I'm so glad to have it because it allows me to make my Webcomic and all my other pieces of art with ease. I've never been disappointed in it

Pros

It's got a ton of features and everything I could ever want or need to make a Webcomic. You can use all kinds of templates and download brushes that allow you to make amazing pieces of art. I recommend it to all my art friends, it's the best.

Cons

I wish the animating part of it was easier to understand, but I'm also a newbie to animating.

Joelle
  • Industry: Animation

A Solid Program, Especially if you do a lot of Inking/ Work on Comics.

Reviewed on 2023/11/27

I love it! The main things that have stopped me from picking it up full-time is how different it is to photoshop and how efficient I am in the latter. I've already created a solid pipeline in photoshop, which cannot easily be fully transferred over, and I'm too lazy to start over.

But if you're just starting out or happy to experiment, it is an amazing program and much more affordable.

Pros

I love the variety of brushes you can find for use in the program, and felt that needed a shout-out.

However, the main reason I use Clip on the regular is to quickly place flat colours under my linework. I use photoshop CS5, which is sorely lacking a good paint bucket feature. Clip, on the other hand, is amazing at quickly filling areas of flat colour, and allows you to place flats on a different layer than the lineart, all while using the linework information. The result is near-seemless, needing very little adjustments, and is much more versatile and less destructive than the Photoshop equivalent.

Cons

The imported text issue is the main con I have, though it is a situational issue.

Other than that, you need to take the time to learn how to use the program to get the most out of it. Of course, that can be said about almost any program. It is a little harder to pick up than certain programs.

Eero
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Well-functioning software with not-so-professional marketing strategy

Reviewed on 2021/07/25

I bought it but didn't end up using it very often. It is an okay-ish tool, but since we have licenses for better tools (such as Photoshop), we tend to keep using those. However, I would recommend Clip Studio Paint to someone who wants to do digital painting and not pay too much for software licenses.

Pros

I bought the Clip Studio Paint license with plans to use it mainly on a tablet, but I ended up using it on desktop too. The software works surprisingly well with Wacom Cintiq Pro and digital painting is faster than in Corel Painter. What I like the most: Price and speed.

Cons

The brand of this software looks very amateurish, it seems like they are targeting hobby artists. Or maybe that is what their main user group is, and they just end up using the creations of those artists in their marketing. However, it doesn't look very professional. That said, it works fine. What I like the least: Brand and somewhat complex tools.

Krita and GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Reasons for Choosing Clip Studio Paint

I needed a faster solution to finish projects involving digital painting, and Corel Painter was painfully slow (on the computer we used - probably it is faster on a super-fast computer).

Reasons for Switching to Clip Studio Paint

Better functionalities than the freeware options have, and it seemed faster too after short testing.
Cheyenne

State of the Art

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Overall, CSP is a seriously wonderful, state of the art program. It is much like photoshop and paint tool sai had a baby, but much easier to learn, use and has a lot more perks! A LOT Lighter on the wallet too!

Pros

It's hard to pick what I love most about this program, I love that the developers listen to what we want, it's easy to learn AND tjay there is s large amount of free assets(brushes, patterns etc) available right in the program!

Cons

I think the thing I like least is it can be difficult to get brushes to transfer sometimes.

Jenna
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Clip Studio Paint is a Great Beginner's Art Program

Reviewed on 2023/04/21

Pros

Clip Studio Paint is extremely easy to use. You have 2 choices- the normal version or the EX. Whilst EX version offers more, purchasing the normal version still gives you enough content to do what you want. Compared to other art programs, it feels more beginner friendly. They also have sales quite frequently, so it is a great art program to try out.

Cons

The cons of Clip Studio Paint is entirely based upon their newly formed "subscription" model; you are forced to pay monthly, when it's main selling point was a one time purchase. It feels like you get less access to things if you don't pay monthly- which is the unfortunate part.

Miguel

Great Features, Vector Layers, Overall a Great Piece of Software!

Reviewed on 2022/07/08

Pros

Vector Layers! Able to resize linework up and down without losing any quality.

Cons

Could have better text editing options, sometimes it's difficult to get it just the way you want.