Nowsta

Write a Review!
Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4.7/5

Mary Jo "MJ"
Mary Jo "MJ"
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to use, cuts staffing time in half, great customer support and overall highly recommended.

Reviewed on 2018/07/09

Pros

Nowsta is a staffing platform that was created especially for the Catering & Event Industry. They did their research on what was needed and that comes full circle as you use it daily. On top of having great Customer Support and response time to questions, issues, concerns or suggestions, Nowsta provides a streamlined staffing software that is easy to use for all. Our response times are cut in half and we have more immediate feedback if a staff member is going to accept the shift or not. The Time & Attendance feature is super simple to approve times and notice and discrepancies. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Currently, the only thing I wish I had with this software. I have is having to log into the web application as a Coordinator and not having access through the app for making day of/on-site changes to staff, but this is a rare need for us and easy to use the web version from a phone internet browser.

Rachel
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Staffing is hard enough as is, do yourself a favor! Get Nowsta!

Reviewed on 2023/05/11

With nowsta we are staying organized and it helped push our companies staffing methods into the digital Era. Using an app vs sending emails and making calls has saved so much time. [sensitive content hidden] and [sensitive content hidden] have been so helpful to me since day 1 and care about their clients and how this program can help them every day.

Pros

Nowsta customer service is always top notch! The software is so user friendly from both an admin pov and staff member pov. It has the ability to be so event specific and you can truly tailor it to your companies needs! This allows you to see all information on the go, whenever you need it! Nowsta also makes employee communication easier with the use of notifications and viewing team contact info. I honestly cannot say enough great things about this software.

Cons

I have no complaints, truly. And if I did, I know Nowsta would do everything they could to fix them. Nowsta has helped me at 2 different companies over 4+ years and it is one of the top 3 things required for me to do my job properly.

Gerardo
  • Industry: Food Production

Great product

Reviewed on 2024/03/14

Pros

I really enjoy the ease of use of this program.

Cons

I wish there was an app for the phone to make the schedule

Joe

Great resource

Reviewed on 2024/03/07

Pros

This is a great product for our catering and events management team. I am able to change schedules easy, and update details in real time.

Cons

I wished there was a few less "clicks" to navigate the pages.

Michelle

Makes my job easier!

Reviewed on 2023/05/19

I can not gush any mor than I have. It is the best managing software I have ever used. It meets all my staffing needs- and exceeds them with Nowsta Flex. I could not be a happier camper.

Pros

Nowsta creates a space where I can successfully create and customize events to our companies particular needs. We are also able to more easily evaluate our staff and track hours worked. Communication with our staff is an absolute breeze with the built in announcement feature.

Cons

I have not bumped into anything that Nowsta has not already changed (adding the "unavailable" feature was a dream come true)

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

I used Nowsta at another company (where I was first introduced to it). When I moved to my new company, they were using email+google sheets to manage events and staff employees. I said there is a better way- let me tell you about Nowsta! We implemented in the off season and have been using Nowsta in full force since then!
David
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Intuitive scheduling for catering events

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

We are saving 1-2 hrs per week making the schedule and at least 10 hrs a week of admin time that used to be spent texting, calling etc. Now it's all centralized with more control delegated to captains, etc.

Pros

Great customer support team with active development on a best in class platform with a solid codebase to support future iterations.
App recently modernized and continued improvements in reporting allow for oversight and quantitative analysis

Cons

Doesn't include payroll, but it syncs with many others! Only real con I can think of

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

Nowsta is built for the events industry. Nothing else comes close

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

It does what it does the best of any. Others can't even comprehend what an event is.
Michael

Game changer

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Great! From when we were first introduced to Nowsta through now, it has been a GREAT experience.

Pros

The Nowsta software provides such an easy way to communicate with staff. Scheduling offsite events is about communication. Nowsta provides a platform where everyone can speak the same language when scheduling or receiving a schedule.

Cons

Hard to think about what I don't like. As soon as there is something that seems off the engineers are on it

UKG Ready

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

The Ready Set Work software was dying more than it was growing. Nowsta's progressive approach to understanding a caterers needs seemed custom fit to what we were looking for in scheduling software.

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

The final decision was based on ease of use and its custom ability to schedule to an event rather than an individual.
Cameron
  • Industry: Hospitality

A world of difference, leagues beyond the next in line.

Reviewed on 2021/03/02

The employees can see exactly how lucrative shifts are, and easily sign up for shifts. Requesting staff is so simple, and scheduling them is even simpler. I can't say enough good things about the ease of access.

Pros

The accessibility is so optimized, it takes only two minutes to get someone up to speed on how to use it. The metrics it tracks, and volume of information readily available to both employees and admins is second to none.

Cons

The live-update features occasionally don't work, and you'll need to reload to see changes. It's not a big issue, it's just that they occasionally do work, so you usually just need to refresh to make sure.

Paige
  • Industry: Events Services

New Staffing Events Coordinator Joins New Company as a Nowsta Coordinator.

Reviewed on 2023/10/12

Overall Nowsta is a great tool for admin and external users alike. Other than the missing chat feature and the inability to easily change/sort an event's staff assignments/roles on the event page, I have no complaints.

Pros

I like the ability to visually see which events are fully staffed, which need staffing, and the easy publishing of open shifts to our staffing roster.

Cons

I don't like that there is no way to chat/text staff within the app. It would be nice if there was a SLACK like chat area/channels area for staff to reach out rather than given them our personal numbers.

Gavin

JP Fine Foods Review

Reviewed on 2023/11/06

From the start the people we worked with have been great. The ease of using the system has been the best part.

Pros

The ease of use is what most appealed to me. We also like that it can updated from our catering platform without having to go back and forth between Nowsta and our catering software.

Cons

Being that we are in Canada is would be great to have the payroll report available with our tax structure and be able to calculate the stat pay owed.

Marina

Seamless from Scheduling to Time and Attendance

Reviewed on 2022/01/22

Nowsta has saved us a lot of time scheduling staff and exporting the time and attendance data for payroll.

Pros

We like the time clock app that our managers can download to clock in our staff anywhere. The ease of requesting staff, sending messages, etc. through the platform is great.

Cons

We are eagerly awaiting a way for our staff to communicate back to us through the app. Currently, it is only one-way messaging outward.

Shelby

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software

Sarah

Scheduling Software

Reviewed on 2019/12/19

The entire Nowsta team has been responsive and easy to work with!

The entire Nowsta team has been responsive and easy to work with!

Pros

The ease of use and integration with Total Party Planner

Cons

We would like there to be an option that an administrator is able to clock in/out employees without having to be the event owner.

Cameron
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta has been GREAT for our company

Reviewed on 2023/10/11

Nowsta has helped us streamline staffing for our events and allowed us to focus on building the best teams for our clients. Through Nowsta's many features, we're able to manage and communicate better with our clients and our staff, creating better and stronger events teams all around.

Pros

We love the accessibility and ease of use for each of our team members. Our staff consists of young and old, and everyone seems to understand how to use the app. Getting updated that everyone has clocked in is a great feature, especially when you're running a lot of events daily. The reminders that you have a shift coming up when you're 3 days out, and then again 3 hours out are great too! Lastly, we love being able to see the last time a staff member logged into the app, this helps us manage the teams more accurately.

Cons

We struggle most with the clock in/out feature. It's likely a user error, but we get the most complaints about this feature. When it does work, it's great!

Lisa

I've threatened to quit if I can't have Nowsta

Reviewed on 2023/05/15

I was with another company before the pandemic in the same role, and used Nowsta there. So I pushed hard to get it at my new job, and it has made scaling up our post-pandemic operations much easier. I've also found that the Nowsta gnomes are great about integrating feedback and working out new features.

Pros

I love how fast I can work with Nowsta--building events, assigning staff, sending out information, moving people around from event to event, duplicating events, attaching pdfs with information that my teams will need. The mobile app is much easier for my team to use than our old system. The different kinds of reports I can generate are useful. And it's fun, compared to the alternatives I've worked with or researched. Other products may have the same functionality, but are harder to navigate or require more keystrokes to do basic things. Nowsta is responsive, robust, and clear.

Cons

Our one big challenge is that Nowsta can't export to the .iif format that our particular version of QuickBooks needs, and we're still looking for a workaround. But it works with a lot of other systems, our experience shouldn't put you off.

Tammy

We Love Nowsta

Reviewed on 2023/05/12

Nowsta has been very beneficial in saving time scheduling staffing and keeping track of staffing as per event.

Pros

We love how easy it is to assign team members to events and how easy it is for team members to accept or decline, based on their personal schedules. We love how Nowsta integrates with our Curate software! We appreciate all of the information that we are able to plug-into each event!

Cons

We do not at all appreciate that Nowsta does not offer any phone support whatsoever. Nowsta is impossible to integrate with ADP and this is a huge disappointment, as had been told that this would be an easy process. We are having to hire yet another software in order to run our payroll, again a huge disappointment, because we were hoping that using Nowsta would streamline our payroll process.

Response from Nowsta

Hello Tammy,
We do offer custom payroll files that will import directly into ADP. Please contact us at [email protected] and we can assist you in getting this set up.

Christine
  • Industry: Hospitality

I refer Nowsta to everyone that would benefit from using it!

Reviewed on 2022/03/11

I can not say enough how much I love Nowsta! I am very picky with my software and systems I have in place for my business. Nowsta along with Tave (another software system) work perfect for me!
The Nowsta team is wonderful! Always there to help if I have a question. Nowst is a definite game changer for me and my business!

Pros

This software keeps me organized, keeps the associates organized. I love the systems, I love the real time notifications ~ I just love everything about it!

Cons

It took me a little while to get use to the software, but it was a small learning curve for me. When I send out a message to the team ~ and then go look at the announcement in my announcement tabs, it's difficult for me to find it after I've read it, doesn't seem to be in chronological order once a message, or announcement is read. ~ Also it's very difficult to get on my nowsta page as an administrator on my phone when i'm out of my office ~ this is very frustrating and hope to find a solution for this.

William
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta makes us a force to recon with in our industry

Reviewed on 2023/06/09

I am very happy with the way everything has been going and plan to use the Nowsta app until I retire

Pros

I love both the desktop in the mobile app. Thanks to Nowsta we have a very easy time communicating with our staff in real time.

Cons

Just like any other sort of technology today it takes a little getting used to. We were coming from an antiquated system to something fresh and new, but the team walked us through everything step-by-step, and make sure that we understand every aspect of the app..

Brian
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great product makes my life easier

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Doing payroll used to take me anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on how busy we were and how many people were working. After we switched to Nowsta, I usually have payroll done in 30 minutes. We do schedules on a weekly basis and I used to have to do the schedule in Excel, then change it to a PDF and then email it to all the staff along with where they were meeting for events. It took me forever to do. With Nowsta, everything is right in the app and it cuts the time in half. Also, with people being able to punch in from their phones, there is no longer paper needed. All of the staff is very helpful and quick to get back to you if you reach out to them.

Pros

Nowsta cuts my scheduling time at least in half. It also takes me a quarter of the time to do payroll. Easier for employees to punch in and out.

Cons

Some issues with the app freezing. People with android have had issues using the app. There is no way for staff members to put in extended periods of time off in the app (vacatin or PTO or what not)

Eric
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Using Nowsta for Security

Reviewed on 2021/11/16

I used Nowsta in my previous role as Director of Operations for a catering company, and am now using it in the special event space for the security industry. The types of employees and scheduling utilized in each industry are vastly different, but Nowsta has been a great tool in both spaces. Particularly for security, the app allows me to assemble a vast pool of potential workers for irregularly scheduled events, greatly increasing my ability to ensure appropriate staffing levels.

Pros

Nowsta is extremely easy to set up and use. The interface for the administrator is effective, while the app and interactions with the users make it easy for them to stay current with scheduling. The customization options for roles and permissions provide a high level of precision in accomplishing specific goals.

Cons

I would like to see the ability to categorize groups of positions together with one click, to save the time of clicking each individually for each employee. I would also like to be able to edit email addresses in the system in the cases where I have made a typo or the employee is locked out of their email account.

Desiree
Desiree
  • Industry: Hospitality

Never Been So Efficiently Staffed!

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

Pros

We started using NOWSTA almost 2 years ago and it has made scheduling so much more efficient. We use it throughout our company - from servers and bartenders, to kitchen, warehouse, and office workers. The platform is user friendly for both schedulers and staff. Our Staffing Coordinator of almost 13 years says we have never been fully staffed so early for our events! And she doesn't have to rely on temporary staff as much anymore because we are staffed more efficiently.
Bonus - Nowsta's email newsletters are very informative and concise in the topics of labor laws, staffing trends, and other topics related to our industry.

Cons

Nothing major that I am aware of! Overall, it works well.

Abigail

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 2023/05/24

My experiences have been all positive! It is a great platform that helps our company function efficiently.

Pros

I love how easy Nowsta is to learn and work with. It makes scheduling over 150+ employees easier than I could have ever imagined! The support team is so incredibly quick to respond and help with any issues that arise.

Cons

I would love it if the app had a few more features, such as removing or adding staff to an event.

Response from Nowsta

Hey Abigail,
Thanks for the Nowsta love - we love hearing feedback from our customers. I wanted to follow up to learn more about "removing or adding" staff to an event, as this should be an easy task. Don't hesitate to contact me, and I would be happy to provide more clarity.

Timothy
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Nowsta is everything you need and more.

Reviewed on 2023/10/04

Outstanding program. More than worth its price. Incredible app and mobile integration.

Pros

Extremely easy to integrate into our organization. We had gone from 4 different programs for 4 years and now we've stuck with Nowsta for almost 3. It does everything we need simply and effectively, the ease of use is the most I like about Nowsta.

Cons

Only thing is I wish it paired with apple calendar.

Melissa

Staffing Manager Review

Reviewed on 2023/05/29

Pros

Nowsta makes my life so much easier. It also helps me catch when I make mistakes on times and dates.

Cons

I wish that when I started doing the staffing I would had some one on one training. It has a lot of cool features that I had to figure out on my own.

Response from Nowsta

Hi Melissa,

We have weekly webinars/training that you are welcome to attend.
Here is some additional information.
Best,
Aimee

Camille

Nowsta is a breeze!

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

So far so good! Its been great and easy to use. I highly recommend.

So far so good! Its been great and easy to use. I highly recommend.

Pros

This software is easy to use and fast! I can update a schedule and the employee is instantly notified by text and email! It's so efficient and effective. I love it - it has really had things faster on the scheduling end.

Cons

No cons yet - I have found everything very easy to use!

Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

This has more functionality!

Paylocity