Nowsta

Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4,6
4,8
Amanda Z.
Industry: Events Services

This app has been game changing for how we communicate with staff.

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Pros

I like the ease of use as a Coordinator. My time spent scheduling has shrunk majorly, leaving me more time to focus on recruiting, on-boarding and training. The calendar makes it really easy for me to see what my week looks like. The sorting function help me isolate events to more easily see events. Even the color and font choices used in the apps is pleasing to the eye!

The support from the Nowsta team has been amazing. They always respond within minutes through their direct messaging function and not only resolve the issue, but are a blast to work with.

It's been a year that we have used the software and there have been endless improvements to functionality. They have expanded the system in many ways, allowing us to change our payroll functions and save money. Many times, we have seen areas for improvement, have sent the Nowsta team suggestions and then seen the tweaks in the app a few weeks later. The team at Nowsta is the ultimate example of continuous improvement.

My staff really enjoys using the app and it has actually been a help in hiring as well. I mention it during the interview and I have seen candidates' faces light up with excitement that we schedule with such a convenient form of communication.

Cons

The timeclock function on the app can be buggy and not record proper times, but I let the Nowsta team know and it's usually fixed right away. It's also an easy fix as a Coordinator, to adjust the times on the desktop.

Monica D.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Saves time to book staff

Reviewed on 2020/01/27

We are a catering company and we use Nowsta for time and attendance for our in-house staff as well as our staff working off-site events out in the field. We love the ability to see how far away the staff member clocks in. Having the captains able to clock in and out the staff is a plus for staff who forgets their phone or is late and doesn't clock in.

Pros

Scheduling staff for events is a breeze. With multiple events displayed at once, we can click and drag staff to the event best suited for them. The report showing a spreadsheet as to the average number of minutes it takes staff to confirm events and the percentage that staff says yes to working an event helps us with prioritizing our staff based on their response. Approving staff on the Time and Attendance page is very easy and the screen is clear to see their times worked. Scheduling staff for the different departments works well .

Cons

Sometimes if the address of the location is not an exact address then the embedded gps map may send the staff to an incorrect location. The app works poorly on some older model cell phones. I haven't found a way to note when staff is on vacation to block those days so they are not accidentally added to the schedule.

Larry F.

Nowsta review

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

A+

Pros

The Nowsta Team is remarkable and very willing to customize.

Cons

Nothing except we don’t have enough business now to use it to its fullest capacity.

Christopher R.

We like NOWSTA

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

For the most part...it has been very good.

Pros

Ease of scheduling. Response time from my employees.

Cons

Does not cross integrate with TPP. I thought it did...but it does not seem to do this. MAybe I am doing it wrong. Secondly, the cost of the employee per month adds up quickly.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Bob K.

Great Product, Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

I can't say enough about this platform. I've personally recommended it to other companies in our industry and can't imagine ever changing. From start to finish, the software is easy to use/learn, provides great analytics and the customer service far exceeds expectations.

Pros

We love being able to create and assign numerous roles and hourly rates to our team members; the timeclock tablet feature is great for onsite clocking in and out and the tracking/reporting tools are incredibly useful for budgeting purposes as well as budget to actual comparisons. There are just so many great features to this software and it continues to improve.

Cons

I don't believe there is anything that we like least about the software but this is more of a wish list in that we wish we could house more employee information. Again, this is not the purpose of the software but to have it all in one central location would be super convenient.

David H.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Intuitive scheduling for catering events

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

We are saving 1-2 hrs per week making the schedule and at least 10 hrs a week of admin time that used to be spent texting, calling etc. Now it's all centralized with more control delegated to captains, etc.

Pros

Great customer support team with active development on a best in class platform with a solid codebase to support future iterations.
App recently modernized and continued improvements in reporting allow for oversight and quantitative analysis

Cons

Doesn't include payroll, but it syncs with many others! Only real con I can think of

Michael C.

Game changer

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Great! From when we were first introduced to Nowsta through now, it has been a GREAT experience.

Pros

The Nowsta software provides such an easy way to communicate with staff. Scheduling offsite events is about communication. Nowsta provides a platform where everyone can speak the same language when scheduling or receiving a schedule.

Cons

Hard to think about what I don't like. As soon as there is something that seems off the engineers are on it

Sarah P.
Industry: Events Services

Smooth Transition and easy to use!

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

From the initial conversation, to the implementation, I have been fully on board! I'm excited to know they are constantly working on how to make the software as useful as possible and I'm not sure how our company went so long with out it!

Pros

This software is so user friendly! We have a VERY wide range of employees that range from savvy to beginner in the tech department. The transition to this app/website was seamless for everyone involved. I love how you can compartmentalize almost every aspect of information on both the administrative side as well as the user side. It takes me less than 1 minute to create an event, and about the same for our employees to choose whether or not they are able to work. It's great from start to finish!
I also love that employees can choose how they receive notifications. Very customizable to how they use their phones.

Cons

The biggest thing I wish this software had was an app from the admin side. Although the browser is esthetically pleasing, I would like to get push notifications as the administrator.

Shelby H.

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software

Sarah M.

Scheduling Software

Reviewed on 2019/12/19

The entire Nowsta team has been responsive and easy to work with!

Pros

The ease of use and integration with Total Party Planner

Cons

We would like there to be an option that an administrator is able to clock in/out employees without having to be the event owner.

Melissa C.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Nowsta truly transformed our catering companies staffing operations!

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Nowsta has eliminated our need for paper/hand written shift times, confusion over who was at what event and for how long, wondering what was the pay for that particular shift and the need to spend countless hours calculating every employees hours/pay come payroll time. Most of all, Nowsta has connected all our employees and with the app, given each the convenance of handheld information. Oh, and Nowsta integrates with our catering software Caterease which was our biggest selling point because we only have to enter event information once and it is transferred over to Nowsta with all the details needed for the employees.

From a Caterers view point, I do not think there is anything else out there that can come close to Nowsta for us. So happy we made the move to Nowsta and there's no turning back!

Pros

From an Admin stand point, I love how Nowsta is so easy to edit; staff information, times, position costs, literally everything! I love the availability checks that can go out as whatever I want, they do not have to be attached to an event. I love the multiple ways that I can inform my staff of shifts available via shifts requests and publishing to a first come first serve deal. It's so easy to make announcements to staff members who are scheduled for event shifts. Staff members get notified instantly of any event changes. I can set preferences to where I receive emails every time a staff member accepts/declines a shift, when new events are entered into Nowsta (we have the Caterease interface), when staff members do not clock into their shifts on time and so on. I could go on and on...

From an employees stand point, Nowsta gives me all the information that I need for an event. Its linked with Google Maps and with one click, I get GPS directions to my event. I can get notifications of upcoming events I am scheduled for. I clock in and out with my phone, no company timeclock box needed. I can easily add breaks to my shift. I can clock into an unscheduled shift, like for kitchen/office staff members who work daily yet do not have schedule kitchen or office hours. It is soooo easy! Makes everything soooo easy!!

Hands down the BEST Customer service crew I have ever worked with! I love chatting with them even tho I try not to have to. :)

Cons

The only thing at the moment that I wish Nowsta could do is have flat rate delivery options. I currently use normal staffing hours to calculate deliveries but they should be flat rates that do not affect employees hours but we make it work. Looking forward to the upgrade that includes flat rate fees.

Alisha S.

Overall, this program has been a lifesaver and has drastically improved our staffing process.

Reviewed on 2018/07/28

Pros

I have been using the software for over 2 years now and have seen it develop into the great product that it is today. What I like most is that the Nowsta team is dedicated to really understanding the needs of their end users and developing a system that is perfect for event industry professionals.

We have been able to really cut down on overtime in every department, have a much higher response rate from staff who are receiving offers to work, and management is able to track hours and run payroll reports much more efficiently with this system in place.

The many different levels of permissions allow me to customize what each person using the system is able to see and access in the system. My Sales team can see schedules, but not pay rates and are not able to adjust times/ shifts. Department head can see pay rates, and enter schedules, but are not able to create or remove another admin user. Event staff can not access the admin portal at all.

There are many great features that this system has that several others on the market simply do not consider or offer, and I would highly recommend taking a look at it if you are not already a user.

Cons

As with any system that is still in development, there are still a few hick ups in the program. The Nowsta team works diligently to iron out the kinks but this causes the system to go down for unexpected periods of time and staff is unable to clock in/out.

Cristina M.
Industry: Events Services

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

Nowsta has truly streamlined staffing our events. It's cut back on hours we spent on the front end and really helped our staff easily accept or decline shifts in an app. It was also a huge help to pay staff immediately versus waiting for our 2 week pay system via check. Staff seem to really love this option even with the fee.

Pros

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing through the app and the way we communicate with our crew. It's been a game changer for us.

Cons

We have been using Nowsta since it launched. The tech support has been wonderful at reviewing our feedback and making changes that really helped the app and our team use it. The software has had issues from time to time but it's always been resolved. The only downside on our end was setting up a direct bank debit weekly versus our original bi-weekly pay system.

Katie M.
Industry: Events Services

Nowsta allows for flexibility, easily accessible information, and great interfacing in my job

Reviewed on 2020/11/01

Pros

As an events services worker, It’s incredibly important to me that I can clock in from anywhere, see who I’m working with on a given day (and get their contact info in case I need to call them with an emergency issue), and see all the basic information about my event in one place on my phone. Nowsta allows me to do all of this and more, quickly and easily. That’s what I enjoy most.

Cons

The only issues I‘ve had to date with Nowsta occurred after the overhaul last year when Nowsta Timeclock was also introduced. Since then, I find that the Nowsta app can be slow and laggy at times (especially when accepting or declining shift invites). Additionally, once clocked out for the day, if you don’t log out of Timeclock (instead of just swiping out of the app for the night) when you go in the next day your current shift to clock in to wont show up. Before Timeclock, I remember the clock in page refreshing for the day no matter if you had logged out and in. This is a bit of a hassle but doesn’t greatly deter from the ease and functionally of the rest of the app.

Brian H.
Industry: Hospitality

Great product makes my life easier

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Doing payroll used to take me anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on how busy we were and how many people were working. After we switched to Nowsta, I usually have payroll done in 30 minutes. We do schedules on a weekly basis and I used to have to do the schedule in Excel, then change it to a PDF and then email it to all the staff along with where they were meeting for events. It took me forever to do. With Nowsta, everything is right in the app and it cuts the time in half. Also, with people being able to punch in from their phones, there is no longer paper needed. All of the staff is very helpful and quick to get back to you if you reach out to them.

Pros

Nowsta cuts my scheduling time at least in half. It also takes me a quarter of the time to do payroll. Easier for employees to punch in and out.

Cons

Some issues with the app freezing. People with android have had issues using the app. There is no way for staff members to put in extended periods of time off in the app (vacatin or PTO or what not)

Clark K.

Staffing made simple

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Pros

Nowsta makes it so easy to staff events! The platform is very user intuitive and it's easy to know when someone accepts vs declines a shift. The rating system is very helpful, the time and attendance tracker makes life so much easier, and not to mention the Nowsta team always is incredibly friendly, helpful and responds to messages right away.

Cons

I wish there was a message history of all the announcements I send staff - whether a text or email it would be nice to have a history as a reference or to copy and paste from.

Sam T.
Industry: Hospitality

Switching to Nowsta was the best improvement we have made to our staffing department in years!

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

The biggest has been reduced labor because the software is so easy to use on both the admin and employee sides of things. We used to spend so much time fiddling with a product that was difficult for the employees, thereby making it difficult for admins. Hours were spent trying to figure out why they couldn't clock in/out, changing passwords, resetting accounts, an on and on. For this reason, everyone has jumped on board and really embraced Nowsta (and really loves it), which if you've every changed to a different software that you had been using for years, you know is a tall order. In addition to reduced labor, it has reduced our stress, which is hard to put a price tag on!

Pros

The user interface is very clean and easy to use. Our entire organization has rallied around the software and thoroughly enjoys using it not only to check their schedule and clock in/out, but also to communicate with their teammates, view pertinent information relating to their event, and the ability to rate staff (even us old folks born before the age of smartphones find it easy to use)! Clocking in/out is now a breeze, and the process of approving shifts for time & attendance has reduced our labor and errors tremendously. And perhaps most importantly, the customer support is extremely fast and responsive. If you ever have any question, they are certain to receive your message and get you an answer in a very timely manner!

Cons

There really aren't any cons to list here as things that we think could be improved are being addressed by their team! So, what we like least is that we didn't have it years ago!

Evan W.

The Apple of Scheduling Platforms

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Wonderful team of staff - they always want to know feedback and will call action to issues swiftly. Nowsta is always updating with new features. I have used several staffing platforms over the years and Nowsta is by far my favorite.

Pros

Very fluid platform. Easily integrates with our other necessary systems that make staffing, scheduling, and back end work very seamless.

Cons

Loading time takes a bit sometimes. Nothing else.

Mary jo "mj" P.
Industry: Hospitality

Easy to use, cuts staffing time in half, great customer support and overall highly recommended.

Reviewed on 2018/07/09

Pros

Nowsta is a staffing platform that was created especially for the Catering & Event Industry. They did their research on what was needed and that comes full circle as you use it daily. On top of having great Customer Support and response time to questions, issues, concerns or suggestions, Nowsta provides a streamlined staffing software that is easy to use for all. Our response times are cut in half and we have more immediate feedback if a staff member is going to accept the shift or not. The Time & Attendance feature is super simple to approve times and notice and discrepancies. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Currently, the only thing I wish I had with this software. I have is having to log into the web application as a Coordinator and not having access through the app for making day of/on-site changes to staff, but this is a rare need for us and easy to use the web version from a phone internet browser.

Desiree J.
Industry: Hospitality

Never Been So Efficiently Staffed!

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

Pros

We started using NOWSTA almost 2 years ago and it has made scheduling so much more efficient. We use it throughout our company - from servers and bartenders, to kitchen, warehouse, and office workers. The platform is user friendly for both schedulers and staff. Our Staffing Coordinator of almost 13 years says we have never been fully staffed so early for our events! And she doesn't have to rely on temporary staff as much anymore because we are staffed more efficiently.
Bonus - Nowsta's email newsletters are very informative and concise in the topics of labor laws, staffing trends, and other topics related to our industry.

Cons

Nothing major that I am aware of! Overall, it works well.

Heather A.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Nowsta has made everything easier

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

I used to spend two days doing our payroll because the staffing software we used to use wouldn't integrate with our payroll. Nowsta has made payroll and shift management so much easier and their customer service reps are always more than happy to jump in and help me if I (or our staff) ever have an issue. I can't thank them enough!

Pros

Being able to attach documents for each event has been a game-changer for our staff!

Cons

Some of the hiccups with using the timeclock were a bit frustrating (some days it worked fine but then for no reason, it wouldn't). The new update to the software has definitely improved this process!

Kristin J.

Everything in One Place

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

Pros

1) the willingness of the Nowsta team to help with anything you need and make the requested changes to create a more efficient user experience
2) the convenience of having everything in one place! So nice that we can do scheduling, labor projections, payroll, and communication all from one easy to use software.

Cons

1) the speed of refreshing the pages is slow sometimes, but nothing that is really bothersome.
2) it is a new software, so there are things about it that we don't like. While the Nowsta team is great about making the requested changes, they have what I can only imagine is a long list of requests that they are trying to accommodate. With that being said, some of our requests are not always met.

Lisa D.
Industry: Hospitality

Nowsta is the best part of my job!

Reviewed on 2019/07/27

When I took this job, I was using both the competitor (rhymes with LaughFate) and Nowsta, and I fought to go with Nowsta because it was so much faster and more user-friendly. Nowsta works right out of the box, it does everything I need and more, they keep introducing useful new features and functionality. When my predecessor looked over my shoulder at the Event view, she was openly envious of how much easier the job is now. Dealing with 120+ on-call staff is never going to be easy, per se, but Nowsta makes offering them work and keeping track of hours, details, call-outs, etc. much easier.

Pros

It's easy (dare I say fun?) to use right away, it's robust, and the support team is friendly and RESPONSIVE. I suggested a feature that would make things easier and it was implemented within a day of my message.

Cons

Using it on mobile as an admin is still a little awkward, and I would like to be able to drag and drop employees in the Event view as well as the Multi-Event view. It would also be helpful if employees had the ability to opt-in to having their contact info shared for carpooling, etc.--right now, it's either all or none.

Jane B.

Game-Changer!

Reviewed on 2020/09/04

As the HR Manager I use Nowsta daily to reconcile timekeeping, confirm current and previous employee scheduling, access data for reporting to local and state governments, and availability of information via the freeform Incident Entry. Our Ops Director loves the ease of forecasting and entering scheduling details and the seamless way it communicates to our staff.

Pros

Easy access and use of employee and event details and scheduling. Not a bunch of superfluous, irrelevant data - everything I need is at my fingertips.

Cons

I wish there was a free-form text to add to the employee name with info such as their badge number that would populate on the Timesheet. Other than that I love everything about this software!

Fletcher C.

Incredibly User Friendly & Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

We've had an excellent experience. The customer service has been out of this world. Working with the reps has been great. I never worry about being able to actively communicate with them or that we will experience an outage of any variety. Everything has been going swimmingly.

Pros

The ease of use and installation as well as the technical support received along the way. The team was also very receptive to improvements prompted by our team actively using the product in the field.

Cons

That we didn't implement it earlier. After we did, our productivity shot through the roof.