SmartVault

Document sharing and collaboration management software

Christos L.

Wouldn't use anything else

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

We are operating a paperless office and everything in the cloud, this is eco friendly as paper waste is minimal. Also all data is securely stored in a cloud so we do not have to worry about backups .

Pros

Possibly the most seamless cloud-based solution for accountants.
There are a few ways to work with SmartVault depending on your circumstances, these are the portal itself, Connected Desktop and SmartVault Drive. All can be used from your main PC.

SmartVault Portal
You can use the portal in a web browser, this is fantastic if you are on the move and away from your usual machine when you need to access documents and all you need is an internet connection.

Connected Desktop
This would be used from your PC, this is where you can do tasks such as sending password protected documents, links to documents, or get documents signed by clients.

SmartVault Drive
This is simply a mapped drive from the cloud to your PC, it is so simple to use, where you can access files drag and drop documents in seconds.

One of the most important pros is the use of 2 Factor Authentication as this does hold client records and data.

Cons

Only con I have found, when getting documents signed by DocuSign using SmartVault, if you select one document to sign, then drag and drop other documents, only the original selected documents get updated in SmartVault, and then you have to update the signed documents manually via drag and drop.

Response from SmartVault

Thanks for your review Christos! Great to hear you're finding SmartVault easy and seamless to use. I'll pass along your drag and drop issue to our developer team :)

-The SmartVault Team

Dawn B.

Reliable and Secure

Reviewed on 2020/11/14

I love the integrations. I cannot say enough about their vision to continue to improve it's interface. This is a super cost effective way for me to operate my tax practice as well as the work I do with other clients.

Pros

I love that SmartVault can integrate with other software applications I use. The security that SmartVault brings to the table is critical to the protection of my clients data. This application fits perfectly with my suite of other applications and I can count on it remaining secure.

Cons

The website times out too often. Maybe I am not aware of being able to extend the time-out but that is definitely something that needs to improve. I also would like to see improvements in the mobile application.

Renee R.

Easy and secure

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

SmartVault is easy to use and secure. The price point is great. Clients find it easy to use. I really like the integration with Outlook. I can easily email links to documents, which makes SmartVault even easier for clients. It is secure, and that is very important to me. Access to files anytime and anywhere is also important. Customizable folders is an added benefit. Each year I get more clients using it. I will use it as long as am in practice. I have no need to shop for anything else.

Pros

Security is the number one feature. SmartVault is easy to use and secure. Clients find it easy to use. Integration is Outlook works great.

Cons

A function to email a third party a document without them having an account would be great. Maybe it is there and I don't know how to use it.

Georgia K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Consistent and Cheaper than other options out there

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

Overall I am very happy with the service for the price.

Pros

It is consistent across the many years we have used it at my small account firm. It is a cheaper options for delivering our tax returns to our clients.

Cons

We have some issues with permissions on our end and on the client end that requires some troubleshooting and frustration.

Jerry H.

Highly reccomend SmartVault

Reviewed on 2020/11/23

We use to use Lacerte DMS. It was a nightmare. Always having to reformat and things kept in diff folders. Data was not easily found either. With SV connected desktop software we can find any client easily.

Pros

We love how SmartVault is integrated with Intuit/Lacerte. It makes our lives simple, efficient, and stress-free.

Cons

in mid-2019 SV did an update that made uploading files more stable and faster. Since then I honestly have no complaints. We upgraded our internet speed for faster uploads and using SV is just a breeze. I did think of one issue, but I do not know if the problem is Lacerte's fault or SV? Sometimes a client may already be in SV with years of historical data, but SV will create a new folder for that client under their Lacaerte client ID? So a duplicate of sorts. I have not found a consistent pattern and never complained because it's rare and random.

Sibylle P.
  • Industry: Accounting

Could not run my bookkeeping practice without it.

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Thanks to SmartVault, it's easy for my clients to provide me with the data I need to keep their books, and I can answer almost any question they have for me quickly and easily. I started off receiving statements by email. I've left that M.O. behind forever.

Pros

Bookkeepers depend on bank and credit card statements, payroll reports and other documents to do their work. Smartvault makes it easy for me to get these documents from my clients and to keep them easily findable as needed. Without Smartvault, I think my daily stress levels would be 100 percent higher and I could not have grown my business to the extent that I have.

Cons

The fact that I need to switch "views" to get certain jobs done.

Miranda K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Proud Member of the SmartVault Fan Club

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

We have been very satisfied with smart fault, which allows us to organize and archive securely an enormous amount of client files to be shared.

Pros

Smartvault is ridiculously easy to use, and provides a ridiculous amount of storage for the price. Our organization has set up branded portals and client folders for exchanging large files, and set up and transfer of terabytes of information took only one day. It is easy to manage customer access from the administrative tool, and support is always available when we need it.

Cons

The tool is extremely secure, but there is one things that I have found frustrating. It is difficult to create top-down permissions for subfolders. This will only slow you down a minute or two, but it can be mildly frustrating.

Response from SmartVault

Thanks for your review Miranda! We love to hear how we're helping our customers and appreciate your feedback!
-Team SmartVault

Gabby C.

Great Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Very convenient and safe for clients

Pros

The software is so easy to upload to and from. Clients access their folders with ease and we get email notifications hourly if there are uploads. It puts clients at ease that their documents are in a secure home. We've used SmartVault for a few years, but with the pandemic it was imperative to have since no one was dropping off and mailing in documents with everyone being remote.

Cons

It's pretty tedious to go in and set up new folders and restrictions/allowances for clients.

Sherry M.

Easy to Use & Cost Effective

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

Pros

I love being able to download multiple documents at one time.

Cons

I haven't been able to find a direct link to resend an activation email. For instance when you set a guest user they receive an email to activate and create a password. A lot of times, guests lose the email and need do not activate it right away. We then have to delete the guest user and recreate, instead of just sending a new link.

Kimberly G.

We are please with Smart Vault

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

Smart Vault allows us to securely provide tax information, payroll information, reports, etc. to our clients and employees working from home. It has been a wonderful tool to share information with our clients during these difficult times. Most clients find it easy to upload their documents. No more worry of their information getting lost in the mail.

Cons

Still learning some of the features, not sure if it is Smart Vault or because we just don't have the time to dig into learning the program completely.

Katie T.

Makes Working With a Team Easy

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

My firm relies heavily on team work, and SmartVault helps us do so securely. We love that it is cloudbased and that we can access this where ever we are, especially with COVID-19 restrictions in place. Because of this product, when our office needed to immediately work from home, we did not flinch.

Cons

It can take a bit to load certain aspects of this software. Also, not every client is keen on using yet another "vault".

Karina H.

No Cons, Just Pros!

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

It is great for important document storage. Easy to function, manage documents and share with clients as well.

Pros

Its storage is what I liked the most and the fact that it's so easy to manage and get access to certain folders.

Cons

So far so good, there are no cons from my personal experience.

Leslie C.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Smartvault user

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

Pros

This is a very easy tool to save all documents, organized and able to share with the colleagues and available always online.

Cons

So far I have no negative comments on the uses that I give to this application.

Raquel H.

Smart Vault

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

-Very easy to use
-Stores everything in one place
-Very fast

Cons

I feel in QuickBooks you should be able to have 2 books open at the same time and be able to use smartvault.

Olivia G.

Valuable Platform for Tax Season

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

This platform helps to take some of the hassle out of tax season. I like that it integrates with DocuSign and has a pretty easy to use interface.

Cons

I wish the settings would automatically notify us if there is an upload instead of making us click this feature on manually.

Jill T.

SmartVault encompasses our business needs

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

Overall, this software creates an easy solution for email retention.

Pros

Quick scanning and saving, value, no retention issues

Cons

updates must be done or there are other issues, could be easier to forward a saved email

Marlo S.

Easy to use, Great customer service

Reviewed on 2016/11/16

I love SmartVault! It has allowed us to share documents with our clients (securely) and begin to operate our firm in the cloud!

Quick customer support

Michelle M.

Great software

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

Pros

Great way to cut down on paper in the office by having documents saved in SmartVault

Cons

I quite haven't figured out to spilt files.

David Z.
  • Industry: Accounting

Good for accountants to comply with GDPR

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

Pros

Can be tailored to my company
GDPR compliant

Cons

Some of the users were struggling to use it.

Leanna S.

SmartVault is a decent software that has many good features.

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Access to client documents. Ease of use. Availability to store documents remotely.

Pros

You access information anywhere that you have an internet connection. Ease of Use. Compatible with multiple software and operating systems.

Cons

Glitchy at best. It gives lots of error message. Some valid, some not. Site tends to go down during periods of heavy traffic. That is a big problem, because often times those are during the hours when you need to access.

Derrick M.

Smart Vault Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Pros

The ability to efficiently receive and transmit information back and forth between clients has been great.

Cons

There can be a little frustration when it comes to the search function of clients and their vaults.

James S.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Great Way to Exchange Documents Virtually

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

The first time I used it took no time. I was able to go in and upload everything needed within a few minutes.

Pros

Super easy to upload documents for my CPA and provide important business tax filling information. The portal I logged into already had multiple directories so that I could put appropriate files in appropriate places, keeping everything neat and organized.

Cons

There isn’t anything to dislike about it. It’s simple and straightforward to use and provides a secure way of exchanging private, sensitive information.

Response from SmartVault

Hi James,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback! We truly appreciate it and love to hear when our users have a great (and easy!) experience. All the best!

-The SmartVault Team

Yayoi S.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Yayoi Shimada : Capterra

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

Pros

I cannot think of good things to say.

Cons

I use Lacerte for tax preparation. I switched to SmartValut because tax return copies automatically goes to SmartValut folders. It goes to wrong folders. Multiple tech supports worked on it and cannot seem to fix it. It is not easy to exchange documents with clients. other program was much easier and i kind of regret that fact i switched. I simply stay with SmartVault because switching costs too much time and effort.

Chris B.
  • Industry: Accounting

Well packaged Document Management System, well presented!

Reviewed on 2020/11/26

Overall, I have been very impressed by SmartVault. I was using Office 365 Business and was fed up that Sharepoint kept falling over for clients - I had set it up as groups to move documents around as I provide payroll services, but often I would get an email from the client saying not received or can't access. SmartVault integration has been very easy and clients have embraced - I think that for many it looks like IE tree set up for navigating makes it easier and that a desktop version is available for their use - a feature taken away by Microsoft - they feel they have greater control too. The current global pandemic has meant that the software has been a god send in maintaining client relations and service provision. I am pleased to have moved over and would recommend.

Pros

- Very user friendly and easy to navigate
- Easy to set up and invite clients and give the appropriate access according to their status i.e. full for the company director down to folder or file specific
- Easy to upload documents and great that it has a desktop version in addition to the online version. Clients like the Apple integration and the fact it works happily with MAC's as comfortably as non-MAC Windows PC's
- Good support, though confusing when you get a US number for someone who lives in India to assist! - I'm a UK based company
- Free set up and training assistance including full run through of the software
- Unlimited Companies
- Free access for clients
- Templates for Accounts/Payroll etc save a lot of time for setting up year on year

Cons

- Integration with Outlook - this is hit and miss if it works and mine doesn't meaning I can't link email in - have been advised it is due to not having the full office suite, though I have and it still wouldn't integrate
- A little expensive compared to other products, but it was best fit for the business

Kristi G.

Much to learn

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

I mainly use SmartVault for storing and sharing financial reports and other files that need to be safely sent to/from my clients. The user interface is professional looking and a step up from what I was using. At some point I need to take the time to meet with someone and really gain a better understanding of how some of the features work.

Pros

It is great for securely sharing financial reports.

Cons

There is a pretty big learning curve to the software.