Showing 79 reviews of 76

StoryXpress

Cloud-based video creating, hosting and recording software

Showing 79 reviews of 76
Jeheen mahmood Z.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

A must-have tool for content desktop creators/instructors/remote team

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

I am the team leader of a remote service agency. I need to create a lot of instructional videos for my team mates and my clients. I also creat how to videos for content marketing. For these purposes I used Screencastify and Loom, both were free and came with limitations. Since I switched to StoryXpress' Clapboard app, with a lifetime license, it has replaced all other apps. On top of that, it is also providing insights and analytics that were not available even in other apps paid versions. Eagerly waiting for the desktop version of StoryXpress' Clapboard

Pros

I really like the depth of the video analytics they offer. Not only each view of the video is counted, but they also show which device was used and which segment of the video the viewer was paying attention to. This helped me a lot in improving video copy and presentation style.

The on-screen drawing and annotation tools are very handy for instructional videos as well

Cons

The video upload speed could do with improvements. With weaker connections, it sometimes takes longer to upload longer videos. For small video clip makers, this is not a problem though; it generally happens when you are loading videos of 1 hour or longer duration.

They currently dont have a desktop app, which is also a drawback. But I was notified by their support that they will be launching this in Q3 2020. It should also improve the uploading speed issue. Something to look forward to in 2020 ha!

Heather S.

Simple but Powerful

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

It's been great, I got the deal on appsumo so for a very small investment I have gotten a ton of value

Pros

Love how simple it is to use, easy to customize the appearance of videos and with the new editing tools I can easily crop and trim up the videos I create.

This has been an awesome solution for both quick tutorials and for adding a video component to all of our proposals and reports. Being able to walk a client through these documents by video and then also know if/when they actually viewed them is awesome.

Cons

A few times my videos have failed to process, although that has been a while so the issue seems to be resolved. I would love to be able to completely hide the controls on some videos but closing them works just fine

Noud D.

Feature rich and easy to use!

Reviewed on 2020/08/06

Quick videos to customers to help walk them through their online platform and explain features in detail for future reference.

Pros

The ease of use and add our own branding to the videos

Cons

We like the software! We did not find anything that needs improving.

Sally H.

Intuitive & packed with features.

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

At the moment, I'm mainly using StoryXpress for training videos. I plan to use it for copy critiques and presentations in the future though.

Pros

I like the fact I can brand and track videos. I haven't had the chance to make the most of this functionality yet, but I have plenty of use-cases in mind for it.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get out of the 'face only intro' to go straight to the screen. But that's probably user-error!

Justin K.

Best video recording software I've used

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

I use this for almost all of my proposals now and it has been a game changer!

Pros

Not only has this product worked without flaws since I got it, but also the team has been incredibly responsive and fast when it comes to implementing new ideas into the interface.

Cons

The email integration for Gmail (via Chrome) can be a bit buggy at times, but still fully functional.

Pedro P.

My Loom alternative

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

Pros

As a marketer who does a lot of cold-outreach, using StoryXpress is a great way to remove the "cold" out of the equation.
What I do is that I typically record myself on camera with my client's website as a background and I do a typical sandwich recording...
Where I say something good about their website, followed by something I can do for them, followed by another cool thing about their website.
And what I love about the software is that I can share a direct link for my recording...
And people will see my recording on a page where I can edit the page to look more about my brand.
Going through this effort really pays out.
And people typically comment on how great it looks.
I understand people use this tool in different ways.
And it's the tool versatility that I love the most because it offers a lot of different ways to use it.

Cons

It happened a few times that after I made a video, especially when it is a bigger one...
That after I finish recording it, the video is gone.
And it's not on the videos list.
And I end up having to record everything again.
This, so far, is the only really bad thing I can see on the software.

Datis M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great alternative to Loom

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

It's an excellent piece of software, great alternative to Loom, DIRT CHEAP if you purchase off AppSumo, and the product is evolving at a rapid pace.

Pros

I purchased a Lifetime deal off AppSumo for $60 [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and can't recommend it enough. It's got the majority of the same features as Loom and they are developing a bunch of new features. The few functions that ClapBoard doesn't have are in development and will be extended to all AppSumo users.

Cons

I've experienced some minor (non-critical) glitches. But it's been fantastic otherwise. Really looking forward to the video editing functionality which I think is a big piece that's missing from ClapBoard... but it's on its way.

Steve V.

Better Communication

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

StoryXpress explainer videos are regular features in emails I send to explain more complex ideas, or to provide practical training and examples.

Pros

Super easy to start recording, and just as easy to share my videos where ever I want.
Watch notifications and analytics show me exactly where I lost people, or if my videos were ignored.

Branded video embed pages are a nice touch.

Cons

It's only happened a couple of times when the app crashes during a recording, or the output audio/video are out of sync.

Jordi R.

Good Loom alternative

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

Really good for the moment.

Pros

Really easy to use and with some extra features that Loom doesn't have.

Cons

No desktop app, so you can't do videos of non website apps/tools.

Great resource for video sharing!

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Pros

Very easy to use and navigate around. Extremely affordable compared to others!

Cons

Some hiccups here and there when sharing videos. But support is prompt on trying to solve the issues!

Tevin G.

A tool you cannot dismiss

Good

Customisable to some extent
Great Value For Money

Cons

Overall it is really good. There a few settings I've not master yet but I guess, that is for me to sort out.

Siddhant M.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Amazing Product

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

My overall experience was really great and I would like to stay as a long term consumer of the product

Pros

The detailing of the product is just amazing and it has helped my organization's operations as well

Cons

There was nothing for me as to point out what went wrong in the product

Leon B.

A picture tells 1,000 words

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Pros

Being able to explain how to do things for clients and staff gets immensely easier using this product. Quick setup and have a recorded how to video to share. Super easy to use and share.

Also use it to send personalized video chats to clients, so that they can see and hear me in my message.

Cons

All good, have not really come across any negatives.

Sven K.

Still in starter development

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

I had to do so many recording do-overs that I'm still not using the product most of the time. I keep trying it every few weeks, but every recording is resulting in inconsistent footage, out of sync, or with 20 frames per second resulting in a choppy video. When I try Loom, I don't have this issue.

Pros

Recording and embedding video's on the fly while sharing your screen.

Cons

Most of the time, my video's are not uploaded smoothly. Costing me hours and hours of time to record them correctly.

Matthew J.

Claps for Clapboard by StoryXpress

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

Overall the experience has been positive. The service has been largely reliable and easy to use and there have been improvements since buying into it, so that's good to see.

Pros

While there were some initial bumps in the road when using the software, it has since been fixed, which results in being able to easily and conveniently capture video to share with others.

You can do a Face-only intro, you have drawing/presenting tools, and more available to you.

The upload time is pretty quick and the ability to brand your video page and CNAME it is awesome as well. There are other things like CTAs and banners that you can add to spruce up your final product!

Cons

My biggest annoyance/hurdle with Clapboard is that they don't have 1080p or 4k recording and their response is to create a desktop app to do so. But other products such as Loom and Nimbus offer these features within their extensions, without additional downloads, so the technology obviously exists, so I'm not sure why Clapboard feels the need to go this other route rather than support those two resolutions via the browser extension.

Aditya M.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

I discovered StoryXpress recorder while browsing the chrome store and I have been amazed by the simplicity and ease of using. At the same time, the overall platform provides best in class video marketing tools and it is not limited to video recording. With this you can also host your videos, and convert videos into lead generating machines.

If you want to get the best out of your video marketing efforts, I would definitely recommend this.

Pros

I really like the custom branding feature, one can customize the video player and the video pages (unlike loom). Analytics and heat maps are pretty powerful.

I also use Playlist feature a lot to create video playlists to send out to the clients.

Cons

There are some minor bugs here and there. I also wish if system can allow offline recordings.

Good Products for what I need

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

Overall, I really like StoryXpress, it does exactly what I need & they seem to have some pretty great features coming in the near future

Pros

I really needed a "Loom-like" software which allows me to create video recordings. The problem with Loom is that when I send links to my subscribers, they don't necessarily know what "loom.com" is & they sometimes down click the link to watch the video.
StoryXpress solves that issue by allowing us to add Cname for all shareable links.
This is by far my favorite feature & the reason I subscribed.

Cons

Nothing that I hated, but the Video uploading/rendering speed could (and should) be faster (my internet is pretty fast & reliable - based out of USA).
The upload speed of StoryXpress compared to Loom is probably 2 times slower.
It could get annoying when you record a video & just want to quickly shoot it out to your subscriber to watch right away.

Paul C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Needed a quick screen recorder, especially for describing technical issues

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

Have used it several times to show tech support what I need to show them instead of having to type it out. I work with many vendors and software companies as an entrepreneur so being able to express my problem through video that's immediately shareable is invaluable and saves me SO much time. Overall a very positive experience. It's not something I need every day, but when I need it, it does the job better than anything I've used.

Pros

Incredibly easy and fast to use. You click a button, it's recording, when you're finished, it gives you a shareable link right away. No waiting. No messing with settings or rendering to a local file or having to upload. It's just done and you can move on with your day. Also like the ability to draw or text on the screen while recording though I haven't used that yet, but I know it's possible.

Cons

Want to be able to select an area of the screen to record, but it doesn't do that. Would like to be able to set defaults instead of having to select the options I want every time. Like when I activate it, it'd be nice if it was already set to Audio Off and Screen Only. Doesn't lower my score, it's just a "would be nice" feature.

Cherie H.
  • Industry: Utilities

Better than the rest

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

We need a way to virtually present options to potetial clients that we could not meet with in person due to covid, this screen recording with the camera was an easy solution. This way the video could be shared with all decision makers and rewatched and potetial reused if it was not too specific.

The second solution we needed was to be able to create processes and do training virtually for the now remote staff.

Pros

I have tried many screen/video recording software and StoryExpress has been the easiest to implement for the team. If you are looking to get your team on board and implementing fast this is the way to go. It is very intuitive and robust to meet all of your needs.

Cons

I haven't found a Con - I literally choose this software after using many others.

Lars K.

Easy and simple to us like other popular tools in this segment

Reviewed on 2020/08/01

Good, fast support and a great tool to create videos on your own branding page!

Pros

Simple to install for Customer Success and Support Videos.

Cons

If you like to upload your own videos you need a additional hosting plan.

Richard B.

A very useful tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/03

Excellent to be honest, never had any issue.

Pros

The ease of use. Simply install the plugin and then press it and you're ready to record.
Not only that, you have a lot of editing tools right in the cloud to enhance your video - add call to action buttons, customise the pages and more.

Cons

It would be great if you could have a little bit more control over editing - that is if you made a mistake 2 mins into the recording you could edit it - right now you can only edit the beginning and the end.

Although in fairness this is for creating quick videos.

David J.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great software

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

Very happy with StoryXpress. Great to see competitors to Loom, and I hope they continue to develop their features.

Pros

It is a great alternative to Loom, I like that you can make it look like a landing page and customize the looks etc. Also great you can download, and embedded, very great features.

Cons

Sometimes the videos don't seem to record properly and you have to re record again. This happens maybe 1/20 times, so not so often, but when it does, not the most ideal. But shouldn't be a too big of an issue in most cases.

Michael F.

Good purchase from AppSumo, but new features are adding up for $$$

Reviewed on 2020/07/31

I like it. Loom was slacking on some things and StoryXpress had extra features. The Appsumo deal is what sold me.

Pros

I like the ability to make a custom page and player .

Cons

They said they would allow you to upload videos, but that feature costs extra.

Raul F.

A problem free solution that can save you lots of time

Reviewed on 2020/07/31

I think that video is the future, so this tool can be good integrating video in the everyday work environment, and things like for example explaining complex tasks to colleagues, more impacting customer attention, etc. We are step by step trying to adapt this "technology".

Pros

I like that it is easy to use and an all-in-one solution. I wanted to do something simple (or that I thought was simple), like recording myself on the webcam, creating simple video tutorials, and sharing them on my site with a customized browser. So I tried different ways to do, but without success. First with the webcam software (did not work), later with open source solutions (were too complicated and buggy) so StoryXpress allowed to easily do the task, plus the hosting.

Cons

The downside of having a complete range of options and being new, it is that somethings are still under development. For example I know that they are developing a desktop applications (that will be useful for example to share recordings of powerpoint presentations), and also 1040 px quality (that will be better for selling the videos if they go for paid courses).