Visual Studio Code Reviews

Source code editing for MacOS, Windows and Linux

(1 578)

Jason
Jason

Best code editor out there! Love it!

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Overall this is amazing, I wouldn't trade this code editor for anything. I used to use Coda on the Mac, and even though I miss the absolute elegance of that app, the features in VS Code overwhelm Coda to the point where I can't justify using it. I love VS Code. It does practically everything I could ever imagine wanting a code editor to do, and (for the most part) has a very clean and workable UI.

Pros

This is an extremely well-featured code editor that also runs quickly. It is highly configurable and has an amazing plugin system with a huge selection of user-made plugins that can improve your workflow. Despite not being a fan of almost anything else Microsoft has ever designed or created, this software is an absolute TREASURE and the gold standard of code editors. Nothing comes anywhere near it in terms of competition in this space.

Cons

The only thing I find mildly annoying is the documentation. Everything is so heavily developer-centric, and the settings are stored in JSON files. That's fine, but most of the documentation makes a bunch of assumptions about your basic knowledge and doesn't spell out how to actually get things done. Sometimes I have to do a lot of googling just to figure out how to change a basic setting. This is somewhat of a minor complaint and often comes down to the plugin authors, but even Microsoft's own documentation when explaining how to turn new features on is often lackluster and requires a lot of pre-existing knowledge.

Martin
Martin

The #1 code editor available today.

Reviewed on 2022/05/16

Apart from the actual operating system, Visual Studio Code is the most-used software on my computer. It is consistently fast and once you get into the swing of it, easy to use. The keyboard shortcuts, cuts my development time drastically

Pros

It's a heavy weight product that's FREE! Seriously there is so much to Visual Studio Code that making it free to download and use makes it a no-brainer to use this software.

Cons

Occasional bugs, but they are almost always taken care of within a day or two.

Adobe Dreamweaver

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio Code

Whilst I use Creative Studio on an almost daily basis, I find that I have much more control over the code I produce in VS Code than with Dreamweaver.

Adobe Dreamweaver

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio Code

It gives me greater control on exactly what get's written to my files. No extraneous code is added by the software, unlike some others. Also, it's free.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Customer Service is Horrible.

Reviewed on 2022/06/27

For a while I had a great experience with VS Code until one of their updates messed up the terminal feature. I had an ever worsening experience as I went to report the bug and got zero help. Nothing they told me to do worked, not to mention they were extremely unconcise so I had to ask a lot of questions or just figure it out, and then advised me to uninstall features I didn't even have. Oh and proceeded to close the conversation without even waiting for a reply. Very unprofessional.
[SENSITIVE CONTENT]

Pros

Its good for writing code and organization. Very good visibility and hub for features.

Cons

A massive blemish in this software would be its bugs. I currently am not able to use their terminal function in any fashion. No debugging no nothing. It will flash pull up and then terminate and shoot me an error. That's a pretty large mess up on their end more so because they won't solve it. I need to be able to use this terminal for my code otherwise vscode in entirety is useless to me. I can go to some other product that has other features that are way better.

Kamal Dyne
Kamal Dyne

Help users for new project creation

Reviewed on 2023/11/14

I use VScode but for a new project I jump up on VScode to use another editor more perform in this type of actions

Pros

Visual Studio Code is the most impressive and fast code editor that I know. He is simple, fast to open, easy to use and can work with many extensions.

Cons

Visual Studio Code can help us by proposing to download automatically package for a new projet. For Instance when you want to create a project, VScode can ask you if it is react or python and then he can automatically download you the package for a new project

Omar Eduardo
Omar Eduardo
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Revolutionary IDE

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

I use Visual Studio Code in two different ways: as a teacher and as a software developer. I like using it at school because it is very easy to install and integrate. It can also be used across Windows, Mac and Linux; which is a great plus.

For my personal projects, I like its seamless GitHub and Maven integration. It is also very customizable.

Visual Studio Code is visually appealing and once you get used to it, you can be very productive. Its integrated Terminal support makes it easy to use and test multiple projects at the same time.

Pros

Visual Studio Code is a freeware, fully functional, source source-code editor. With its great plugin support, you can use it do develop in many programming languages: Python, Java, C#, SQL, etc.

It supports a lot of enhancements and it is very configurable. You can make use of many predefined actions though its Command Palette, a functionality where you popup a search-bar style menu with many shortcuts.

It is constantly updated with new features and bug fixes, and it is heavily supported by Microsoft.

Another great feature is the plugin manager. The community can integrate new languages and tools, which makes this tool extremely customizable. Sometimes, when loading a source code file, Visual Studio Code automatically suggests plugins that you might want to install, which is very nice.

Cons

Some workflows are not very intuitive, and need to be executed using the Command Palette. If you are migrating from another IDE like Eclipse or NetBeans, this will take some time to get used to. For example, to create a Java project, you need to open the Command Palette and type "Java: Create Java Project". Other IDEs have integrated wizards that are easier to use.

Eclipse IDE

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio Code

Visual Studio Code is a more modern tool. It is also very lightweight and easy to run. It is not a RAM hog like other IDEs.

Apache NetBeans

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio Code

Visual Studio code is a less heavy tool. It is free and very customizable.
Sebastian
Sebastian

VSC is now the de facto Python editor

Reviewed on 2021/05/10

VSC allows me to open a directory instead of a file, so I can have all files at glance and with different color codes according to changes related with the status in the repo. The first thing I do after opening the directory is to set up the conda environment (if not automatically detected) and then I know I am good to go, if I run the code from VSC I can see how the script is invoked using Conda so I can do it manually if needed (like from another screen).

Pros

Visual Studio Code behaves well with Conda environments. It search for installed environments and selects the right one most the times according to your code, when it fails to select the environment, you can manually select the correct one. If the env you need is not in the list of available envs, I have to look in Internet how to manually add an env because it is not so intuitive, but this is not a frequent occurrence. The fact that it integrates with both Conda and Git, makes my life as a Python developer way easier. Another nice feature is that when a file changes on disk, this is always reflected in the editor, without the need of a manual reload. The support for Python (using the plugins) is superb, now I can say that Microsoft is taking this language as a first class citizen.

Cons

It is a little bit heavy in resource usage. My 6 Gb laptop freezes sometimes when VSC and Chrome are both active, and I use both programs together. The inline help is not always useful and hard to read because it needs lot of scrolling.

Austin
Austin
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Visual Studio Code, the best coding buddy you could ask for

Reviewed on 2023/08/31

We are using Visual Studio Code to program and develop software, we have a team using it with JS, another team with GO and I am using it with Python, it speaks for itself when it's cross-compatible in multiple languages.

Pros

Visual Studio made coding fun and easy, integration was really easy, all you need to do is install it and start coding, shortcuts are insanely useful, and plugins are out of this world.

Cons

I think some kernel selection in Python could be improved, sometimes it doesn't detect the one it's supposed to and you get some weird errors, but It has improved a lot since last version, hope it keeps going that way.

An overall great IDE recommended for junior and senior developers alike

Reviewed on 2023/07/03

Discovered and ever since used this powerful IDE for full 3rd party integration, ensuring me with a seamless development experience

Pros

The ease of use as well as access to third party solutions, also VSCode being part of the Microsoft family ensures connectivity to other Microsoft products and services.

Cons

Depending on the operating system and hardware used sometimes the run time or searching functionality can be slow and appear buggy.

Julius
  • Industry: Insurance

Visual Studio Code Review

Reviewed on 2023/09/07

My overall experience with Visual Studio Code has been really great, from the benefits of Third-Party plugins to code management. i may say its an A+ Software.

Pros

Easy to use. With code coloring, it makes my work smoother. its third-party plugins are just perfect it makes me integrate with other systems which is just great

Cons

There isn't much I like least with Visual Studio Code

Juan
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Good for starters

Reviewed on 2024/03/01

Pros

It is easy to start using. Download and installation is quick.

Cons

I was not in love with the interface. I think nothing is wrong with it, I just tried other software and felt ore comfortable with others. I think is ore of a taste.

Arnaldo
Arnaldo
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The Next IDE generation

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Is my everyday tool. I use it for taking notes as for develop. Is fast and thats is very helpful, if you need to test something small you are not going to open VS that take time to open, Code take miliseconds and is perfectly integrated with windows explorer, so it's adds a lot of productivity for your daily work.

Pros

It basically started as a complement to Visual Studio for js projects, and ended up as the trend IDE. It provides the performance of a simple text editor and the characteristics of a great IDE like its older brother. The extension market covers any language and any tool, you can integrate it with anything a developer uses. Very well equipped for React / Angular / Net Core project and, at the same time, a fluid experience that adds productivity to your development. And you can also use it as a text editor for notes, documentation, markdown.

Cons

Comming from Microsoft, it is incrdible that it is not compatible with .Net Framework projects. Supports JS, python, PHP, anything, but not .Net Framework. For debugging tools, some features of his older brother are still missing.

Julian
Julian

Best Editor/IDE ever!

Reviewed on 2019/12/08

Visual Studio Code is definitely the tool you may want to consider if you use products such as Atom, Sublime Text and so on. As a lot of people is using it, you will probably find someone supporting you in case you need help. Microsoft also does offer a lot of documentation and support channels. If you're still not using this, consider doing the switch now!

Pros

Since Sublime Text I was always searching for a good valuable Editor and IDE that can be extended and integrated with the vast majority of languages and tools available around, while developing software. Luckily Microsoft came up with VSCode, which not only provides a very good an fast editor, compared to its competitors, but also a very IDE even for debugging purposes. Whichever language you need to develop with, you are covered.

The tool offers also plugins (extensions) which can be found and installed directly from the marketplace.

Cons

The only cons I could think of, is the fact that the tool is based on Electron which suffer from performance issues, although Microsoft has done a lot to improve this aspect. Nevertheless if an alternative engine could be found, which could improve this factor, would make it the perfect tool!

Mir Fida
Mir Fida

An Efficient and fast opensource Code Editor with advanced customization features

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

Best for small businesses and teams working, especially for websites and web apps. Lighter on your budget and computer system resources. You get a library full of extensions/plugins enhancing features. User-friendly interface together with simple settings configuration. Fully personalized it according to the color scheme, coding language, and feature needed. I highly recommend it as a good package tool for full-stack web developers and programmers.

Pros

I have been using MS Code to write and edit for web development and wordpress.t's very light on resources compared to full IDE's and available for multiple platforms OS. Small initial package to download and install. So it's being used for mostly web coding tasks in languages like Html, JS, CSS, and PHP. Community support is very great coming with new features and extensions with new updates. Documentation and many tutorials are available to learn it. The best features that I like in this code editor are syntax highlighting, error checking and IntelliSense.Lot's of extensions provided novel functionality. From theme to the language it is can be personalized to much extent.

Cons

Some extensions show internal conflict due to accessing the same part of API. Should handle conflicts efficiently. Debugging is sometimes a little bit confusing. More features like support for the desktop framework should be added like ASP.NET MVC Application.

Notepad++ and Sublime Text

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio Code

Built-in debugging and feature enriched environment with a huge library of plugins is its competitive unique useful features that I loved. great community support and tutorials also helped me decide to chose MS Code for web development work.
Milton Carlos

Flexibility combined with performance.

Reviewed on 2021/04/24

Visual Studio Code is a code editor with many features and prepared for many languages. It also has an extension system that facilitates the development of plug-in kits for languages that do not yet exist, as well as snippets and IntelliSense with artificial intelligence to aid development.
It is great for working on projects with multiple languages, it is not necessary to open another IDE for a certain part of the project.

Pros

Easy-to-configure shortcut keys that enhance the user experience.
Many extensions and stretches.
Very fast and easy to use.
Integrated with wsl2 windows, allowing use with docker.
Beautiful and customizable themes, just edit a simple JSON.
Synchronizes the configuration with your GitHub account, so that when you need to reinstall or install on another computer, you do not lose the current configuration.

Cons

Some extensions can cause problems, so it is good to check the information available about the repository, ranking, number of downloads.
The excitement with extensions tends to be great, so it’s easy to install many that we don’t need.
The more extensions we install, the more resources are consumed.
Extensions that use artificial intelligence resources are still evolving, but tend to improve very quickly.

Holden
  • Industry: Computer Games

The best code editor - A daily users review

Reviewed on 2022/01/11

Transitioning to Visual Studio Code from another code editor was easy. I came from using IDEA's IntelliJ so I was used to their keybinds. Believe it or not, Visual Studio Code has an extension called "Darcula IntelliJ Theme" and "IntelliJ IDEA Keybinds" extension which made the switch easy. I haven't looked back and recommended Visual Studio Code to all developers and software engineers.

Pros

As a daily user of Visual Studio Code, I really like the overall experience Visual Studio Code offers. I have worked using IDE's (Integrated development environment) for the past 12 years and have used a handful including Sublime Text, IntelliJ IDEA, Webstorm, and kept coming back to Visual Studio Code. Why? Because not only is it free, but the community support is incredible and there are Extensions you can add for anything you can think of. Want a dark mode? No problem. Want docker, python, or yaml support? No problem, there are extensions for that too. Visual Studio Code just works. It's simple, but can be expanded with Extensions making it unique and a very powerful editor.

Cons

The only drawback is out of the box (by default) there could be better code formatting and a variety of file extension support. Thankfully with the Visual Studio Code Extensions, this is not a major drawback as there are extensions you can quickly install to address this single con.

• Industry: Publishing

VS Code : the new kid on the block is not messing around

Reviewed on 2022/02/02

When I first heard about VS Code, from Microsoft, I was doubtful. I already had SublimeText fine-tuned to my exacting standards. But a colleague insisted, so I gave it a try. I've been thoroughly impressed. While I still have a soft place in my heart for Sublime Text 3, I must admit that VS Code is a worthy text editor. Perhaps because it copied so many of the things I love about ST3: multiple cursors, the jump-to-file bar, the huge network of plugins and extensions, radical customization, and lots of other features that help me to think less and program more.

Pros

Offers super easy transition from Sublime Text -- will even map your custom keyboard assignments. Multiple cursors (of course). Easy navigate directly to file (of course). Has a super robust community of plugins and extensions. Deep integration with Github built in. Highly customizable interface. Feels very, very fast. Runs on a JS engine, that's just flat-out cool. Docker extension allows you to edit files directly inside a running container??? That's insane!

Cons

The left-hand navbar gets a little cluttered with icons as you start adding extensions. In a couple of instances, I've got post-commit hooks that run and fail when I make the commit directly in VS Code. This seems to have something to do with the hook trying to run within the VSCode container, and not having the necessary plugins in order to do so. So I have to do my commits on the command line in the terminal for that codebase. Feels weird, not sure what's up with that. But might be an example of trying to pack TOO much stuff directly into the editor.

Sublime Text

Reasons for Switching to Visual Studio Code

I still use ST3 regularly -- but VS Code is a worthy alternative if you're looking to switch. Much of my programming is back-end, so I'm not quite as enamored with it as some of my front-end colleagues, but it is a very nice product.
Jo Ann
  • Industry: Design

You Can't Beat it's Features or it's Price!

Reviewed on 2022/03/15

I love it, can't say it enough! I actually use it as the code editor with Bootstrap Studio. I assigned it as my default editor and now every time I work on a website in Bootstrap Studio, all code pages open in Visual Studio Code. Amazing how they can work together like that, but it's a great team of applications for sure!

Pros

At first it was that it was free so I could really check it out on my own schedule (sometimes 30 days ain't enough when I don't find time to use something. After using it a while I was amazed at all the features that saved so much time designing websites. Not having to visually match start and end tags was awesome as it shows you which goes with which. Tons of different themes to find the one that fits your style or visual needs. So many features and what isn't already there, someone has made an extension for so it's really well rounded.

Cons

Sometimes I have to work at getting an extension to function or function correctly. Keeping in mind of course that in most cases Microsoft didn't create them, there is still sometimes a learning curve with getting extensions working as you want them to.

Achille

Almost perfect

Reviewed on 2022/05/28

VS Code make our tasks faster and now we don't need to switch between different applications.

Pros

As software development agency, we are always looking for simple, expandable, fast, updated development tools.
For some years now we use Visual Studio Code and we love it: low resources (eg. RAM) required, the biggest eco-system of plugins available, frequently updated, all-in-one environment, support for all languages and scripts, and last but not least... "free".

Cons

There are, at this time, only two missing features that we'd like to receive in the next releases:
1. Multiple environment settings, so we can switch from different configurations (eg. selected plugins, editor settings, plugins settings, ...) based on what we're doing. This is because some plugins produce some conflicts and also some settings, so we need to turn on/off a lot of settings/plugins on the base of project we're working on.
2. Sharing preferences and last opened files, because now the software save last preferences and last opened files when you close the app but if you work using different workstation (eg. workstation and notebook), you need to reopen last edited files when you switch between devices.

Narendra kumar

Great tool for code development, debugging and version control at one place

Reviewed on 2022/08/17

It is simply an amazing tool and It helped me very much while developing and debugging big data pipelines. It is very fast and I also like that it enables to connect with GitHub without having to use the command line to update/version control the code in github.

Pros

Very fast during startup. I like the option that it enables you to open multiple projects in different windows at once. The code editor is simply amazing as we can view multiple files at once. The debugger is the most interesting part for me, as VS code really helped me to debug big data pipelines where no other tool I found can be used that simply. The new "Data Viewer" option is also amazing to look into tables or any SQL tables in vs code. Simply it saves lot of time by providing automatic code suggestions, linter..

Cons

As it is developed to work on different programming languages, I miss the interactive console to execute small snippets of code that I observed in the spyder tool.

Marios

A great and lightweight tool for web development and more

Reviewed on 2022/12/15

We are extremely happy with Visual Studio Code as it's an essential tool for our business. We use it daily to develop front-end website mock-ups that will be then transfered to our back-end and also to develop ViewJS applications that will be integrated with our client's websites.

Pros

The tool is very light without unnecessary and complicated tools/extensions. It allows you to install whatever extensions is needed to transform the product for your needs.

Cons

Integration with Maven took us some time to complete in order to easily be able to build our ViewJS applications

ECLIPSE

Reasons for Choosing Visual Studio Code

Eclipse is heavier to use and not as complete as Visual Studio Code as in terms of extensions and tools

ECLIPSE

Ravi

My review for VS Code after using 1 Year

Reviewed on 2023/08/31

If I would tell my Overall experience using VS Code, that is awesome and very time saving. I have also recommended this app to my college friends. They are preparing for the Placements and finding it very time saving. Also, there are too many features in app. Some of them are not explored by me yet after using for more than 1 year.

Pros

The best thing I found in Visual Studio Code, is the auto correction feature and extensions for different languages and uses. It saves my time so... so much. There are also different themes available in the application. Also, the User experience I got from VS Code is amazing. There are also some more features which I do not get from other softwares.

Cons

All the features are awesome and very useful. Everything is good! But one thing I would like to tell that sometimes I work on my code and suddenly app closes. I don't know, is it an app glitch or my system incompatibility. Yeah! that's all.

• Industry: Media Production

Visual Studio Code - The ideal companion for every programmer

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

My experience with VS Code is the best possible.

I use the IDE for editing Web Designer, such as...

My experience with VS Code is the best possible.

I use the IDE for editing Web Designer, such as HTML, Javascript and CSS.

I am also studying the Python language and the program suits me very well, I can import several libraries to improve my knowledge.

Due to its high customization, I left the program with my face, making it easier in my day-to-day and leaving me fascinated by its practicality and robustness.

The software makes my workday and studies too difficult.

Pros

Visual Studio Code is an indispensable IDE for all programmers, from the beginner to the advanced level.

With several libraries, plugins and tools, VS Code makes it easy to create, edit and improve codes.

All technology professionals can benefit from VS Code, as the program can be used in several programming languages, from Java, Python, HTML, Javascript and many others.

With the help of the terminal, we can execute the codes in real time, and do all the tests, reviews and improvements in the code and its structure.

The fact that it is a Microsoft program is fundamental, because in addition to the support, the program is always updated with specific corrections improving its performance, in addition to the possibility of logging in with the Microsoft account, thus being able to access all the plugins, themes and tools that have been customized. by the user.

We can highlight several positive factors:

- Free software;
- Excellent support;
- Extremely customizable;
- Possibility to login with Microsoft account;
- Compatible with several programming languages;
- Extremely light, not requiring large hardware resources;
- Vast library that can be imported to help the user;
- Several plugins that streamline and facilitate programming;
- Highly customizable;
- Very stable program, it hardly locks or has errors.

Anyway, VS Code is a wonderful tool and possibly the best IDE on the market. Free, robust and complete. I love VS Code.

Cons

I don't see any weaknesses in the VS Code.

Due to its high compatibility, and a vast community that contributes to the development of various plugins and tools, IDE remains always up to date and meeting the demand of the programming market.

Perhaps the only negative point is the lack of translation into Portuguese as my native language.

Virtually the VS Code is perfect in my view.

Binigya
  • Industry: Computer Games

Swiss army knife for software development

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

It has been a joy to use Visual Studio Code. Even though it comes with some minor annoyances, I do not feel as if I could ever leave it, and it has saved me a lot of time with its ubiquitous plugins selection and godsend keyboard shortcuts.

Pros

VSCode has been my choice of editor for writing any code, period. It is so impressive with its meticulous keyboard shortcuts that cover every use case and I love the ridiculous amount of plugins you can get to enhance your productivity while coding. Another thing I simply adore about this is how lightweight it is, compared to Visual Studio or other bloated IDE. It is tremendously fast and a joy to write code on.

Cons

Not many things to dislike about this one, but for front end web dev, I feel Sublime Text slightly edges it out due to the quality of plugins offered on the latter. Also, VSCode sometimes acts up with its plugins (when using with Unity), so that it needs a restart of the application and tinkering with the settings. This is an annoyance that I would be glad to see it disappear.

Microsoft Visual Studio

Microsoft Visual Studio

Not your average text editor

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

I am mainly a web developer so even though I installed other IDEs to code in Java, most of the time I use VSCode. I've been using it since my very first days of programming and it is a very good text editor especially for novices. I found the plugins very helpful as I can be very picky when it comes to the appearance of my IDE. It has formatters as well which you could configure to autorun on every save which is very helpful to have readable code.

Pros

Even though VSCode is just a text editor thanks to its huge repository of extensions, it could be really powerful. It has a marketplace for all extensions that could be easily accessed and where you could find support for many languages. It is easily customizable and very user-friendly. What I liked most about it was that the user interface was very intuitive and the plugins made the application very easily customizable. I was able to use it for a large number of languages such as Python, Node, React, c++ and so on. I do not like using many different text editors or IDEs based on the project or language, so VSCode's ability to support many languages even if not natively but thanks to the plugins, came in handy. VSCode now supports live share where you could easily do things like pair programming within the application itself and would not require screen sharing from some meeting. In addition, it also now allows you to ssh into a remote server and access its files from VSCode which comes in very handy in deployment.

Cons

Even though I did use it for many different languages, I did have some trouble setting it up to use for SpringBoot and c++. Using it with C++ was mainly an issue with Windows and not VSCode itself. SpringBoot required many plugins and quite a bit of meddling with so I opted to go with a different IDE for Java-based projects. For bare bone coding that does not require much setup, VSCode is good but not so for things like SpringBoot.

Piotr

Great alternative for paid IDEs

Reviewed on 2022/05/13

To be honest, it is amazing alternative for all paid IDEs that are on the market. It contains almost everything that normal user need. If not it is always possible to enter plugin 'shop' and download missing functionality. Quite lightweight. Works fast and reliable. Unfortunately, windows has two installation versions: User Installer and System Installer, and there is no description on what are they representing on download page. I downloaded User Installer (cause it was first) and two times after ~two months, VSC just disappeared from my computer. I had to download it again, until I got mad and I searched why is that happening -> after downloading System Installer, everything runs smoothly - no more quiet disappearance. Maybe I just didn't know enough how installers work. Also VSC is not as powerful or advanced as market leading IDE company (with paid IDEs). However, normal software developer won't need anything more. Nevertheless, it is totally worth it despite some minor cons.

Pros

It is free.
Easy to set up and use.
A lot of plugins and functionalities - downloadable and adjustable as the user needs
Intuitive.
Lightweight.

Cons

Advanced git integration is not really native, it is done by an external plugin.
Finding a plugin that you need may be exhausting.
It can lag during a launch.