Showing 671 reviews of 661

Showing 671 reviews of 661
Julian X.

Best Editor/IDE ever!

Reviewed on 2019/12/08

Visual Studio Code is definitely the tool you may want to consider if you use products such as Atom, Sublime Text and so on. As a lot of people is using it, you will probably find someone supporting you in case you need help. Microsoft also does offer a lot of documentation and support channels. If you're still not using this, consider doing the switch now!

Pros

Since Sublime Text I was always searching for a good valuable Editor and IDE that can be extended and integrated with the vast majority of languages and tools available around, while developing software. Luckily Microsoft came up with VSCode, which not only provides a very good an fast editor, compared to its competitors, but also a very IDE even for debugging purposes. Whichever language you need to develop with, you are covered.

The tool offers also plugins (extensions) which can be found and installed directly from the marketplace.

Cons

The only cons I could think of, is the fact that the tool is based on Electron which suffer from performance issues, although Microsoft has done a lot to improve this aspect. Nevertheless if an alternative engine could be found, which could improve this factor, would make it the perfect tool!

Puneet M.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A perfect IDE environment

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

It's one of the best IDE I used with great graphics and new feature. Easy to build and deploy code

Pros

It's a perfect environment for development riguous software with API. Easy to use and run with perfect UI

Cons

Nothing at all. But it keeps sometimes ask for updates.

Muhammad ashhar H.

Best free code editor

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

Pros

Best thing is that you can add extensions of any language to add its support including intellisense and snippets. It also automatically integrates itself with github.

Cons

There could be a support of UI based node package manager.

Lazer P.

Lightweight and Feature-rich Code Editor

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

VS Code has allowed me to easily maintain workspaces of related code files, search between them, and track and understand the current state of many codebases. It's intuitive and has many shortcuts that allow me to edit code quickly without taking my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse.

Pros

-Source control - Highlights changed, deleted, added lines when you are working in a git repository. UI Controls to stage changes, view the current status of edited or staged files.

-Syntax highlighting, intellisense (suggest auto-completions for variables in scope, available methods based on MDN), direct links to documentation on many languages

- Plugins add support for more languages, local html servers, code snippets, extended source control visibility, remote collaboration and more

- Dozens of tremendously useful keyboard shortcuts, supports mulitiple cursors, VIM key bindings if you're that kind of person

- Integrated terminal with multiple shell options

- Many color themes so you can pick something that feels good for your eyes on your screen

-Frequent updates and bug fixes

Cons

There are some minor differences between the Mac and Windows versions, and I use both. On Mac, you can Cmd + Scroll to enlarge/shrink the code font size. In Windows, using the keyboard, the only option is CTRL +/-, which also makes the UI elements larger and smaller. I don't usually need those buttons to change size, just the code text.

If You're Coding, You Are Already Using This... Or Seriously Should Be

Reviewed on 2019/10/25

VSC is an incredible workflow accelerator and workflow assistant. I love using it to open Folders and having it so seamlessly Save on Focus Change, open in Browser (Alt+B). I remember an old version of Sublime that first showed me I could test a file in the browser from the editor! My point is that it isn't unique to VSC, it's just part of my overall experience. I have barely scratched the surface of the software, but I rely on it.

Pros

I like so much about Visual Studio Code, but probably my favourite thing is the simple multi-cursor capabilities. I am currently working on a javascript project for my direct supervisor (not a computer guy) who asked me if I could come up with something to do XYZ Within a few days a colleague in HR (not a computer gal) asked me if I could come up with something that could do ZXY, so I said, "Providence!" and agreed. Well, the challenge became my stubborn insistence on identical architecture for both projects. Anyway, editing large arrays of filenames which I needed to keep organized numerically, by extension, in paths, etc was a breeze with this feature. I realize it is pretty common to robust code editors, but my complementary go-to Notepad3 doesn't, and I sure enjoy the VSC editor in contrast.

Cons

There really isn't anything I dislike, but what I like least is probably the seemingly-undercurated variety in 1) Extensions and 2) Intellisense. There are staggering redundancies and besides popularity of download I don't know how to select which Extension-That-Does-X from the many options. Trial and error is trying and irksome. Similarly, Intellisense loses significant value when the same text prompts too many options... all the more so when the one I want is way down the list. I imagine you can cull those lists, but I've spent way too much coding time fiddling with Preferences, custom keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Jefferson B.

Best editor I've used for web projects

Reviewed on 2019/09/01

So far it's the best editor I have used for web projects, specially for front-end projects. For some languages though it may be a better idea to use a specialized editor.

Pros

- Updated frequently.
- Has many useful extensions, from adding support to a certain language to performing simple tasks like auto formatting import declarations.
- It works specially well with JavaScript and TypeScript, with fast and reliable auto-completing and linting features, and has an amazing Angular framework extension.
- It's very light to run. Even with a lot of extensions active it still runs well on older computers.
- It comes right out of the box with a very powerful and easy to use git tool.
- Its text editor has a lot of accessibility and quality of life simple yet nice to have features, like easy zoom-in and out, line wrapping, auto trim of trailing white spaces, multi cursor, among others.

Cons

- Currently it doesn't work so well with Python and it's very limited with C#, even with both having official extensions.
- Its debugger, while very powerful, isn't so easy to set up, and more than once I simply preferred to just use the browser's debugger instead.

The best lightweight alternative to the full Visual Studio IDE

Reviewed on 2019/11/28

I use VS Code mainly for my client-side projects, usually featuring a MEAN stack, where it excels because of its tight integration with TypeScript. In fact, VS Code was itself written in TypeScript, so writing Angular is unsurprisingly excellent.

Pros

Visual Studio Code is my go-to when I need a stable, lightweight source-code editor, without the full feature set of their full-blown IDE (and its attendant performance limitations). VS Code is cross-platform, lightning fast and highly extensible (multi-language with syntax highlighting, debugging and linting) via its huge library of extensions. What really sold it was the fact that its based on the Electron Framework by GitHub hence its tight integration with Git and other source-code management providers -- commits, pushes and pulls can be made right from the editor. Just an indispensable tool for any developer, but especially those who work cross-platform and deal mainly with client-side technologies like Javascript, CSS, React, etc.)

Cons

Since VS Code is Visual Studio without the Visual UI part, it is essentially a souped-up text editor. As such, it's oriented around files, not projects, and doesn't have any support for scaffolding. Also, its IntelliSense is limited, even for Microsoft file types. If you're looking for a full-featured IDE, you'll need to move up to Visual Studio Community (free) or Professional (subscription starts at SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN). Lastly, VS Code can be a huge memory hog, so be careful of running multiple instances with a low RAM machine (< 16GB).

Kavishka hirushan R.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best code editor for every software & web developer

Reviewed on 2019/11/17

As a Software developer & a web developer, I use the Visual Studio Code for my coding, debugging & DevOps needs. Also recently I started to flutter mobile app development.

Pros

Before I'm using the Visual Studio Code (VS Code) I used many types of code editors some of them are Sublime Text & Atom. But they were way more complex to understand. But the Visual Studio Code is very easy to familiar. VS Code has the most number of plugins to each language & framework. Even the newest frameworks have stable plugins. Other Code Editors consumes more CPU usage while the VS Code uses when it's only needed. VS Code also integrates the DevOps such as Git. But when it comes to Sublime text Git support is provided as the premium feature.

Cons

VS Codes' git plugins enable in the default settings. This is sometimes a headache for me. Another thing is sometimes Visual Studio Code fails to detect the settings for some languages. As an example I recently VS Code for PHP Coding. I used the CodeIgniter framework for that. Before that, I've installed PHP but VS Code has failed to detect the pre-installed PHP on my computer. Another thing is when we have to do a setting most of the time I had to edit a JSON file. One mistake can make the software completely corrupted. So there is no undoing.

Alex T.

Simple, yet powerful code editor with cross-platform support

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Pros

Visual Studio Code has become my code editor of choice for each of my persona and business machines. The rest of my development team also use this software as their main editor as well for many reasons. Not only is Visual Studio Code incredibly quick, it also supports virtually every major programming language out there, making debugging a breeze. Visual Studio Code, like many other code editors, includes a add-on system where you can install third party packages that can further increase the speed of your workflow.

Cons

One of the most frustrating parts of using Visual Studio Code, in my opinion, is a specific bug that affect the terminal window when opening a project on an drive separate from the startup drive. This bug shows an empty terminal and requires you to return to the next line on the command prompt in order to escape it. It's a small bug but it is certainly a hassle when it is something that you in into on a daily basis.

Rajitha H.

Best IDE for software development

Reviewed on 2020/07/01

It Saved our coding time from its features. I will recommend this software to any software developer in the software industry

Pros

VS Code is equipped with a variety of extensions and a user-friendly interface. It supports code using any language in the current software industry. Coding is easy with this IDE. Also, it has a debugger and a customizable integrated terminal. features like syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, code refactoring, and embedded Git has saved our time for coding.

Cons

improved on giving the ability to work on two projects simultaneously.

The most versatile & efficient IDE!

Reviewed on 2021/02/14

Overall, Visual Studio Code is probably the most important software in my work life and its truly found a place close to my heart. I would highly recommend the platform as I have only positive experiences to share about it!

Pros

Visual Studio is the ultimate development environment for any project, small or large! I personally switched to Visual Studio while exploring options for IDEs as I was stumbling through various alternatives such as Repl.it and Atom that simply didn't meet the standards I searched for. VS Code has everything a developer could ever want, it has a light-weight build, it is fast & reliable, and it has extensive features that isolates it from all its competitors. I personally am a major fan of the LiveShare extension enabling developers to join each others' remote servers and cooperate on code simultaneously.

Cons

Occasionally, the extension titled 'Live Share' utilized to allow developers to cooperate together becomes slow or crashes if a large sum of developers are present on a single developmental server, yet such a consequence is expected. Although I do not have any direct issues with the platform, the only thing that VS Code currently lacks is a designing feature on the application itself. Being capable of designing, programming, and deploy code all from one program would be revolutionary and the perfect addition to this IDE.

Ishan D.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

One of the best code editors around

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

Pros

This is one of the best code editor available. Super fast and modularized. Set it up and add the extension that is needed. No matter what language or script you code in, VS code is able to handle everything given the appropriate environment set up and extension added. There's extensions for everything from formatter to intellesence and themes. Love the themes.

Cons

Depending on how many extensions you add and what multiple languages you use it for, sometimes it can be a bit slower in response. I personally use it for Java, python and SQL. Unused extensions should be cleared up periodically.

Caleb J.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Visual Studio Code - Powerful code editor

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

Visual Studio Code is an awesome source code editor and I urge you to give it a swing, you will not regret it.

Pros

Although Visual Studio Code is classified as a lightweight source code editor, it is by no means lightweight when it comes to its power. You can consider it to be a balance between a text editor and an IDE because it posses features like syntax highlighting and autocomplete from the text editor side but also has features like debugging from the IDE side. In addition, it has Git commands built-in which allows you to run all your favorite commands without leaving the code editor.

If you want more features you can do so by installing extensions to add themes, add new languages etc which will all run in completely different processes which will ensure that your editor remains at top speed and will not experience any lag due to these additions.

Visual Studio Code natively supports TypeScript, JavaScript and Node.js; however, it has a large ecosystem of extensions for many more languages, making it the code editor of your choice.

Let us not forget that on top of all the power, features and customization, VSCode remains free and you can run it on your Windows, macOS and Linus machines with no limitations.

Cons

I would like for it to natively support editing and browsing remote files, rather than using and extension.

Karl M.

Simply the best

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

I switched over from Sublime Text Editor a few years ago and would never look back. The overall experience has been excellent, VSCode is very powerful, has lots of features and the marketplace extensions have allowed me to customise my requirements very well.

Pros

Visual studio code is an excellent piece of software, it has lots of powerful features and is very intuitive to use. It also has an integrated marketplace where you can easily fetch extensions to add functionality.

Cons

The marketplace extensions aren't really vetted that well as far as I can tell. Not had any issues with the Visual Studio Code itself.

Sergei edoardo G.

It's good. So good in fact, it risks making paid IDEs obsolete.

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Visual Studio Code has removed the need for purchasing an expensive IDE to get a class leading developer experience. We are extremely happy with it.

Pros

Visual Studio Code's greatest asset is how insanely good and powerful it is as a Front End developer's main editor, while still being a free product. Out of the box, it already comes with powerful features like Code Debugging and Smart Code Analysis that used to be exclusive to big IDEs like Microsoft's more fully fledged Visual Studio and Jetbrains' Webstorm. And should you need more powerful, it's incredibly extensible nature has you 100% covered. Meaning that if there's something it can't do, odds are there is probably an extension out there that does it for you.

Cons

Visual Studio Code's is hard not to like, and even harder to critique being as good a product as it is. But if I was forced to complain, it might be that the stock editor theme is not exactly pretty. Then again, this can be easily switched installing a custom theme.

David K.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Lightweight but with plenty of features

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

When I found that I could use "Visual Studio without the bloat" I was intrigued. When I saw how lightweight and fast it was, I had chosen my new code editor. Then I saw the plugins and new integrations popping up for related tools... The rest is history.

VS Code works.

Pros

Very lightweight especially given the features, stable, open source, free, cross-platform, lots of community support in the form of plugins and like-minded discussion.

Cons

Some of the syncing settings are not consistent, and the customization features are counter-intuitive at first.

Quickly becoming the go to standard.

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

As a web developer, I switch between languages frequently. VS Code handles all of them without an issue. I love the availability of extensions and the extensive customizations possible.

Pros

Visual Studio Code is high quality and performant software with lots of available extensions, a built-in Terminal, and best of all it's FREE! I love being able to fully customize my coding environment.

Cons

I've recently been made aware that Microsoft has included some proprietary telemetry/tracking code into it. This may be a deal-breaker for some.

Waqas S.

Greate IDE backed by Microsoft

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Visual Studio Code (VSC) is one of the complete IDE's available for web development, application and, mobile application development. I provides lot's of features, code completion, extension, themes, and lots more.

Pros

I used many IDE's in my development career. But VSC (Visual Studio Code) is Open Source and one of the best. I target lot's of development paradigm's you can think of. It is like tool of the titan and provide you lot's of workflows to easy your work while thinking about the core functionality of developing application.

Cons

The only thing that I hate about Visual Studio Code is, it consume lot's of system resources and when you're working on low end machine it freezes a lot. Other than that it's ok.

Jason P.

Very powerful free solution to text editing

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Visual Studio Code has become my go-to app for the vast majority of my text editing. I still use an IDE for my development, but for most other things I use Code.

Pros

Visual Studio Code has a huge feature set, as much as a lot of it's competitors, and it's free. It's fast and lightweight, has a large extensions library from the community, and is updated very regularly. It's not as robust as a fully-fledged IDE, but it has a lot of similar features and is much faster and lighter.

Cons

Code doesn't handle Excel or Word documents. While this is not too much of a problem, it seems like it's something that it should easily be able to handle, since it's a Microsoft product.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for developers

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

I have used notepad++ and brackets earlier for programming. VS Code has way more useful feature as compare to them. I have used it for developing flutter and react web apps. It has very easy-to-use interface and you don't feel anything changed while switching different technologies and languages. It works amazingly great while multi tasking.

Pros

As a software developer, working on projects having multiple files has becomes easier. The extension comes very handy while switching programing languages. The debugging became way easier with automatic formatting of code. And terminal panel at bottom is very helpful while executing coding problems.

Cons

Only one con I can think of is that json files were difficult to use for configuration initially. For beginners, they might have to go through documentation for configuring them which might take time.

David T.

Best code editor I've ever used

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

VS Code is perfect for web development, particularly front end development. There's no need to pay for "advanced" products from competitors when you get so many options for free.

Pros

VS Code is the fastest and easiest code editor out there. I've used many "simple" editors before, and none of them are as convenient out of the box.

Cons

I found VS Code less useful to work with when working on project written in Ruby or Golang for example.

Milan R.

Best free editor

Reviewed on 2020/04/06

This is a fantastic free code editor that i would recommend to every developer.

Pros

Very easy to install, setup and use. A lot of plugins available, for even faster and efficient coding. It is free to download for all platforms . All in all , fantastic code editor.

Cons

Not really a con , but would like not so frequent updates. Also you can disable auto updates in the settings .

Cory S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Fantastic, flexible, affordable option for development

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

I currently use Visual Studio Code for front- and back-end web development, using it to code in Java, Python, and PHP, as well as create and edit YAML and JSON files. Switching between any and all of these is effortless.

Pros

The wide variety of extensions allows for a near limitless customization potential and the ability to use a single, relatively lightweight application for all of my most common development tasks.

Cons

It is easy to spend too much time browsing extensions, and depending on how customized your environment becomes, it can be more difficulty to adjust to different systems.

Özgün emre Z.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Best editor possible on every platform/OS

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

I use it as my second IDE, primary text editor. I like the plugins and easiness of them to integrate and search.

Pros

Community, Open source, customizability.

Cons

Sometimes because of too many updates, things have changed too much. So, When I was using rarely, things changed frequently I didn't like it a lot.

Great for front end web designers

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

Handles all my web design needs and is free and uses very little resources.

Pros

Lightweight, simple interface. Great for htmls/css javascript that a front end web designer needs. Extensions allow for formatting, styling and added options. PHP, etc also not an issue. All I need in a free app.

Cons

Not quite as powerful as big ticket software such as PHPStorm, but that's not what I'm looking for.