Audacity

Open-source and on-premise audio editing software

Zuber
Zuber
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A simple but powerful audio editing tool you will ever need!

Reviewed on 2022/07/23

I have been using audacity from the past 7 years, the simple user interface and a plethora of audio features has never allowed me to hop into a different software. Firstly, it is free and open source, secondly the design of this application is intuitive which makes the task more easier. Whether it is mixing, converting or noise cancellation for audios, it has an answer to everything.

Pros

1) Simple and easy design
2) Converts any audio files into mp3
3) Fast and adaptive to any operating system
4) Record/convert/edit audios in a simple way
5) Easy workflow

Cons

1) Robust mixing with multiple features should be added
2) Suggestions to improve the audio as a helps should be notified
3) Integration with 3rd party tools should be included
4) More advanced editing/effects are required to meet the professional standards

Joe
  • Industry: Media Production

Audacity is that free little program that does a wonderful job.

Reviewed on 2021/04/24

I have had a joyous experience with Audacity.

I have had a joyous experience with Audacity.

Pros

Recording software is extremely expensive. Other brands can make it big impact on your financial situation.
For a long time I have been a user of a very popular software editing program. My job requires me to have several computers. Many times I have faced the inability to install software on many machines. So I went with the next best thing. I looked for free stuff.
I was so surprised when I started using Audacity. Not only did it have all the same functions, but it produced great sounding audio. Editing was simple, and I didn't have to go through complicated setups just to get the job done. It was like it worked right out of the box.

Cons

I really don't have anything to complain about Audacity. I would even recommend that this is the go-to software for anybody on a budget.

Karl Rodrigue
  • Industry: Entertainment

to start in music he has no better

Reviewed on 2021/08/06

the software allowed me to make my first sounds which still sound great today. I really enjoyed using it

Pros

the fact of being free to start in music there is no excuse not to make music. it's just exciting

Cons

the interface should be reworked, it looks like old software from the 98s and to improve the effects in order to bring something new

Alexander

Audacity: Feature-Packed and Highly Capable

Reviewed on 2023/09/18

In my experience of around 10+ years of using this software, there's plenty of tools, features and compatibility. It is cross-platform, which means you'll be able to use it on Windows and Linux, for example, and it's Free software!Audacity is great for whoever is beginning their journey in Audio Editing, and it's highly capable for other kind of users as well.Overall I highly recommend this software.

Pros

The compatibility with the different importing and exporting formats.The ease of use, it is simply incredibly easy to begin using and extremely intuitive for professional users.The features, things like being able to view and customize Spectral Views along with viewing the regular Waveform at the same time.Plenty of filters and the ability of importing your own VSTs, LADSPA and LV2 ones.Multi-Track support.

Cons

Importing MIDI is possible but using .mid files is very limited. Perhaps a little customization or a set of features to overlay midi data on top of a waveform for transcription might be useful, although it's not the program's main task.ASIO Support would be nice to have, currently the audio devices are tied to the system. Using input equipment in latency-bound scenarios can be tough for direct monitoring through the software on Windows. On Linux it may be possible to direct monitor, provided that you activate the option and set the proper buffersize.Even more advanced editing features would be welcome, although not strictly necessary.For professional use, to my knowledge there is no surround support. But considering this software is aimed at simple usage, it still provides a lot of features.

Angela
Angela
  • Industry: Human Resources

A user-friendly, powerful and flexible tool

Reviewed on 2023/03/29

I've been using Audacity for a while now to do home record editing. I sing in a small jazz ensemble (it's a passion, not my profession) and we use Audacity to edit the songs we record. I have to say, I'm really impressed with this software.First of all, Audacity is entirely free to use. Despite being free, it has many great features that make it a powerful tool for recording and editing audio.One of the things I love about Audacity is its user-friendly interface. It's very intuitive and easy to use, even if you don't have any experience with audio editing software, like me.Overall, I think Audacity is a fantastic tool for anyone who wants to do home recording and editing. It's powerful, easy to use, and completely free. I would recommend it to anyone needing high-quality audio recording and editing software.

Pros

First of all, Audacity is completely free to use. Despite being free, it has a lot of great features that make it a powerful tool for recording and editing audio.One of the things I love about Audacity is its user-friendly interface. It's very intuitive and easy to use, even if you don't have any experience with audio editing software, like me. This is important for me because I'm not a professional audio engineer or anything like that. I sing for passion, it's not my profession.Another great feature of Audacity is its ability to edit multiple tracks. This is really useful for me because I record each instrument separately and then edit them together. With Audacity, I can easily see and edit each track individually.

Cons

Sometimes I have synchronization problems between tracks, and it requires work, especially for me since I'm not an expert.

Geniene
  • Industry: Media Production

Audacity - The Answer to online radio producers who are not inherently sound engineers!

Reviewed on 2023/10/04

I have enjoyed my experience and have taught my entire staff complement how to use it and continue using all the options so they can learn and teach each other new tricks.

Pros

I love that I dont have to be a sound engineer to understand sound waves and how to create high quality sound and audio clips. Its simple to teach DJ's how to use Audacity to create their own jingles, voice overs and clean up their recordings for Podcasts. Their import facility and ability to add and move audio clips to where its most suitable within the file, is beyond reproach and I couldn't have done some of the radio interviews without it. Especially when clients make errors during recordings.

Cons

Very little but if I have to find fault its when you have to install the ff library and that's a challenge as it never works first time. It's quite a mission to get it installed. So I usually tell my DJs to convert their files to mp3 online and then import into Audacity. It doesn't seem to lose quality.

Guy
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Audacity works well for me.

Reviewed on 2023/04/17

At first, I was having trouble with another software when it came to converting the mix to an MP3 file. I downloaded the Audacity program and made the MP3 file in a few minutes. While, I was there, I saw other things it could be used for. In particular, the voiceovers. I also found it very helpful when collaborating with other artists.

Pros

Many times, software has a learning curve. (How long it takes to be proficient in what you bought the software for) I found Audacity to be quite easy to learn. The curve, for me was abbreviated.

Cons

I don't have a Con for this. Frankly, for the price, I didn't have a high bar set for it. But Audacity far exceeded my expectations.

Michael

Perfect for many use cases for audio development even when many digital audio workstations...

Reviewed on 2023/09/18

I mostly use it for batch imports and exports since it allows me to convert or apply effects to multiple audio files at once. Taking some FLAC files and mass convert them to OGG and MP3 or taking those files and adding a speed increase or decrease to them in bulk before exporting.

Pros

It's very simple and easy to work with and edit. Allows for real time editing and batch exporting, batch importing/applying effects and batch converting. It works the best when dealing with multiple things at once to apply things at once and wait for it to export.

Cons

Outside some features, it mostly doesn't have anything to support itself to be different than most digital audio workstations and most features are in digital audio workstations for doing basic stuff or adding effects.

Elijah
  • Industry: Computer Games

I Love Audacity

Reviewed on 2023/10/02

I have seen many people use this free service and I had to try it out for myself. It failed to disappoint. I love this service and will not stop using it.

Pros

I really like that it is a completely free service. It has no paywall at all. Also, the software is really easy to read and doesn't shove tons of things at you as soon as you open it.

Cons

I have absolutely no complaints about this great software.

Lefteris
  • Industry: Entertainment

A quite nice audio editor for starters

Reviewed on 2023/04/25

My experience with audacity was great cause it made me start learning more and more about music.

Pros

It's a great editor that can help begginers work with a powerfull tool and learn some basic stuff about adio editing.

Cons

I think that Audacity's interface is made for editors that just want to do simple things and not dive deeper into the music industry because most of the advanced feutures are hard to find.

Muhammad

As an editor, You need Audacity to become professional.

Reviewed on 2021/08/10

Being a YouTuber, I'm running three youtube channels. Each time I am going to upload a video on any youtube channel, Firstly I'm going to edit my voice with the audacity to make it professional. so i can say that audacity is the worst software on my computer that is most important for me than my pc.
Being a freelancer, I use to create intro and outro videos for my clients. and for that voice quality matters a lot. And I can do this only with help of audio editing software, Definitely, I am going to choose audacity to kick a nice shot.
I have 30+ clients from worldwide who are working with me only to edit their scripts, and I am using audacity to generate good revenue by making my clients permanent just because of serving them good quality service.
So audacity is the main part of my carrier. If you are thinking of being YouTuber, then defiantly audacity is going to help a lot. You can edit your recorder scripts and your background music. This is not all which I have been told you there is much more you are going to experience in audacity.

Pros

The "Track" feature of audacity is my favorite ever. we can always add a new track in any format mono, stereo, label, or in any we wish. Even we can separate tracks too from our voice with help of audacity.
When I need to remove vocals from a song to generate background music for my video, then tracks are going to help me a lot. I can always cut and copy the song through the track and can paste it on the track where ever I want.
when I use to record my script, Definitely some unwanted noise is going to appear in my video. And now I want to delete that specific part of the script to make it good. Now here tracks are too important to make a right cut from the script.
Other local software has limited capacity to zoom in and out of the tracks. But in audacity, we can zoom up to the last point, and we will be able to saw a sine wave in the zooming case.
when we move to audio mixing, Definitely it is going to do through tracks. So I can say the track is a more important feature of audacity.

Cons

Everything in audacity is almost good and too easy to use but I have some objections.
I don't like the "Noise Reduction" feature of audacity. Each time I need to remove the noise from my script, Firstly, I need to generate a voice removal noise profile every time. Otherwise, it is not going to work properly.
I wish the Audacity team should add some noise removing profiles by default. so I save my time and can use them quickly to remove noise from my script and can make it professional only with a single click.
Here is another objection I have, when I use to remove noise from my recorder script. It deletes my recorded voice too, which is absolutely not a good option. The Audacity team should work on this and make this feature good for us.
I'm still using this software because thinking that the audacity team is working on this.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Listen, You Have Some Audacity (provided you get Audacity)

Reviewed on 2021/07/23

Free apps aren’t always the most user-friendly (just look at all the free graphics programs and compare them to Photoshop for an example), but if they can still work as well as, if not surpass, the premium apps within the same category, then why not use them? For sound design, Audacity is that free app with the irritating UI that monopolizes this space, and if you’re interested in making and improving your own sound files, then you’ll want Audacity in your toolbox. With the ability to establish sound layers, adjust audio frequencies, and create samples, as well as to export the final result into most of the available sound profiles (.WAV, .MP3, .OGG, etc.), Audacity makes sense for any sound designer, musician, game designer, video creator, or anyone in media to have at the ready. And with the ability to label all exported sounds with a profile label (including “artist,” “track,” “album,” etc.), it almost begs the question, “Why pay for an audio production app?” Unless your paid app gives you the ability to turn your voice into a robotic chipmunk, then I don’t know if there’s a good answer for this.

Pros

Besides being free, Audacity comes with so many bells, whistles, and buttons that any competent sound designer will feel right at home. Because it’s open sourced (I think), it’s also adaptable with plugins, which you may want provided you can find some good ones online. And, of course, you can adjust layers and sound profiles, as well as export to your preferred format (provided you have the right codecs for such a thing—Audacity doesn’t come with those). It’s quite versatile.

Cons

If you’re a newbie, then you’ll probably feel lost without going through some online tutorials. Likewise, if you’re not a sound designer by trade, you may not appreciate the power that Audacity brings to the table. (I’m not a sound designer, so I know I’m in over my head at times.) The user-interface can also complicate a simple process like joining two audio clips together. But, again, it’s free, so who’s complaining?

Edit your audio clips for free in Audacity.

Reviewed on 2022/06/18

I started using it 3 years ago, and I was very impressed with it in dealing with the audio files that I work on and extracting quality in terms of beauty and high quality.

Pros

The nice thing about the program, which I like a lot, is that it's free, has powerful extras like paid software, and works on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
You can make an audio recording directly through the program itself, and this saves time and effort
It supports a lot of sound effects that you can use for free, namely removing noise and distortion from audio, adding FFT technology to audio technology, increasing and improving its quality, and adding echo effects.
Supports keyboard shortcuts to speed up work and save your time, and it is very suitable for beginners because it processes the audio at a high speed, so you will not consume long time in editing the audio while providing the highest possible sound quality.

Cons

I wish that colors would be added to the tracks that were added, so that what type of tracks used for the user would be distinguished

Thuso
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

What is Audacity DAW

Reviewed on 2022/11/13

The greatest free audio editing software (DAW) at the moment is Audacity. Most projects may be completed with this open-source software, which receives frequent updates. It supports a large number of plug-ins, is simple to learn, and is arguably the finest DAW to begin using when beginning any kind of audio editing.

Pros

simple waveform editing without a lot of prior audio editing experience. The UI is quite basic, but also incredibly minimalist. This lessens the impression of being overtaken by the task. It works with all significant audio sources and handles various audio formats exceptionally well.

Cons

The UI is fairly straightforward, however it's not particularly attractive. The program might be improved by adding more eye-catching visuals. For what it is, the functionality has never been lacking, but there haven't been any significant updates in a while. Although the community's support network is quite outstanding, it may be somewhat frightening to navigate through. For new users, having better standardized support resources would be advantageous.

Javier

An all-time classic that never gets outdated.

Reviewed on 2022/04/17

I've been using Audacity for nearly two decades now. When podcasts were something that radios wouldn't publish on their websites, I was part of a community that did the job of recording and "slicing" the most interesting parts of the programs of a new radio station which couldn't afford doing that job. And the program we used to do that was Audacity.

Since that time, everytime I needed reliable software to edit audio files, I always came back to my trusted friend Audacity. It never disappoints.

I use it now for my current job as a language teacher, in order to create my own podcasts or audio files to integrate in my videos or exercises for my students.

Pros

Best possible price (free). Easy to use and short learning curve. User friendly, yet effective. For a non professional use, it's better than most. For a professional use, there are better options, but there are also really expensive programs that are worse than Audacity. Reliable, solid and continuously updated.

Cons

I honestly have zero bad things to mention about this software. Could it be better? Yes, but having in mind the price (free), it's difficult. Asking for the moon, it would be great if Audacity could be used also as a proper audio file converter. That would make it even more awesome.

adam
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Audacity is good for beginners to pros

Reviewed on 2022/03/02

When I need to learn songs sometimes the parts are complex. Audacity allows me to record my parts and slow them down to any speed I need to learn them. This made my life so much easier. Certainly there were and are a lot of costly programs that will do the same thing, but as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Audacity solved my problem of needing something to help me learn my parts and so it as been invaluable!

Pros

For me personally I used it to help me learn my guitar parts for my band. It allowed me to capture audio from several sources and file them. I could then speed up, slow down as need be to learn and practice. Later on when I started to write some material it allowed me to create my own songs with multiple tracks. As I am still a noobie I am in awe of the people who can use Audacity to its fullest. My son writes all the music for his band and Audacity allowed him to write and record all the guitar parts as well as bass and drum tracks, mix and edit them. As well is allows him to write and record stems and store them for future use. He used Audacity for his first 2 cd's and I was amazed!

Cons

To be honest, I am such a beginner that there is nothing for me not to like. Perhaps if I had the time and need to really dive in I might find some things, but that is not the case. So far Audacity is everything I need and could hope for, and you can't beat the price!!

Fabian

Audio Editing Platform - Audacity

Reviewed on 2022/07/27

Overall, a pleasurable experience using Audacity. I recommend any DJ or Audio Engineer to try it out!

Pros

Easy to install and use. With practice and generally trying out the different tools, it becomes easier to use. Enables users to import mp3 and wav audio files and alter them to perfection. I would usually add instrumental files and acapella files and line them up perfectly to form my own version of remixes, export them and enjoy.

Cons

There weren’t any real drawbacks to Audacity.

mohamed
mohamed

Audacity Review

Reviewed on 2021/05/17

Pros

Record all audio formats.

It can convert the sounds recorded on cassette tapes to compact discs (CDs).

Controls the speed and determination of the sound path in the audio clips.

Saving records and the ability to merge them.

The ability to add various effects to the sounds.

The possibility of recording in multiple tracks

Cons

The UI in Audacity is unattractive, and may seem complicated to beginners.
Audacity is not the best choice for recording music, due to its inability to record at most two tracks.
The software update is not available regularly.

Alain Jove
Alain Jove
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Audacity an it's awesome functionality

Reviewed on 2021/01/04

Overall, I highly recommend this awesome app and I never had any crashes even with my previous old computer.

Pros

I love this app for its ease of usage, it is lightweight, has a portable version that can be easily saved to a thumb drive, has comparable functionalities compared to Fruity Loops, Sony Vegas and Wave Pad. These are just the ones I used and can compare it with but I can say it is a very excellent app in comparison with the ones I mentioned.

Cons

The lame.dll file is just sometimes not detected and you have to download it to export the audio to an mp3 file. Although you can still export it as a .wav file. The available files online are sometimes not compatible to the version and nothing else is available.

Eldar

Simple and professional audio editor

Reviewed on 2022/10/08

I mainly use it to record my voice and edit it, I also use it to fix the sound of my videos, it works well for my needs, it gives a lot of value for a free tool.

Pros

It's free software with many audio edit tools

You can use it as a voice recorder with a microphone and also record sounds from the computer itself

there are many effects and tools to change or fix your sound, I use it many times to clean the annoying "HISSS" noise from my tracks

You can easily import and export your sounds with the formats: MP3, WAV, OGG, and MIDI and you can also use it as a sound format converter

There is multi-language support.

Cons

It's not very user-friendly at the start, you need to use some tutorials on the web but it's not difficult to find, I recommend to start using it and looking for tutorials for your specific edit needs.

Avery
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great for beginners to start with

Reviewed on 2021/11/12

I was recording videos for my Youtube channel, and I needed something like GarageBand to record my vocals. Of course, it's aggrivating to use 2 different computers for this task, but I was able to find Audacity and use the program to get my audio in line. It also sounds really amazing! Took my videos to a more professional level

Pros

I loved being able to record and mix quickly without much trouble. Literally plugged in my microphone interface and started recording away! Once you understand it's simplicity, it can take you a long way!

Cons

There were times where slowing down the audio was too distorted, even after adding the right effects. Also, moving around the interface can be a bit overwhelming. There is alot of buttons in front of you, so making sure you know the userface is very important.

Natalie
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Such a fantastic audio software!

Reviewed on 2023/08/31

10/10.woukd recommend

10/10.woukd recommend

Pros

First off: it was free. Second: super easy to use. I had no idea how to mix music and record above the files, but it took me tno time at all to learn and figure out the software. I've tried other softwares that were way too complex for me. This is so great for people wanting to get started but not sure how to mix audios.

Cons

There's been a couple of bugs. I have to consistently go back to Edit and Preferences and record new track. Otherwise it automatically adds to the end of my music instead of where I need it on the file. Then I have to go back to the settings to turn it off again. This didn't happen on the last one, just since this last update, so must be a bug. Just a small inconvenience but not stopping me from using the product

• Industry: Management Consulting

Audacity is the standard

Reviewed on 2021/12/08

I don't use Audacity for recording as much as for post production, e.g. equalizing the sound, making sure the volume is consistent across a recording, get rid of background noise, cutting out a cough or "ahem" and "ergh" here and there. That type of thing. Although it is not a simple tool (unless maybe you are a professional audio engineer), mostly due to the fact that there are so many things you can do with it, there are tons of tutorials on YouTube and across the internet to help you deal with a specific thing you want to solve. I use it to polish up the audio track with me talking for my podcast. Great tool to use, and you can't beat free!

Pros

First off, Audacity is completely free. But it is also the gold standard right now, which is quite an amazing combination. I mostly use this tool for post production of interviews and my podcast and it can do everything you need it to with relative ease.

Cons

It is chockfull with advanced features and there are so many settings, I find it hard to know what to do and how. My solution has been to bookmark a few tutorials for those tasks I need most and re-visit them. There are tons of how-to's on the internet that guide you through whatever it is you need to do step by step.

Manase
  • Industry: Music

Simple software but amazing for a number of reasons.

Reviewed on 2021/02/20

This was so much helpful as a beginner in music production. It taught me how to layer tracks and mix too... Basic concepts easily learned in audacity.

Pros

The easy and friendly interface in thos software is o overwhelming. You can teach yourself almost everything at one look or use. Simple but professional tools to use for multitrack mixing and editing.

Cons

Application mode of effects to the audio tracks

Amy
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

...The audacity of me not discovering this software sooner!!!

Reviewed on 2022/03/29

Absolutely stellar. This software has become one of the crucial must-haves to the videos I create, and the process of doing so is engaging and fun, rather than stressful. It has expended my creative outlet in ways I did not expect and continues to do so. Bravo!!!

Pros

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I am having so much fun creating musical and vocal clips with Audacity. As a canvas artist who has no background in audio mixing, this software makes the process fool-proof and exciting. I often do time-lapse videos of my art, and mixing both musical scores as well as varied monologues to add to them has not only been a lot easier than I expected, but has also opened doors to other creative ventures. The ease of use would have to be the number one perk of this software.

Cons

I found only one issue that I can't really even call a con, which is the way the competed projects are filed. I just had to look in my Audacity file first and not the standard downloads file. Again, I am a novice so this may have been something I did!