Audacity

Write a Review!
Open-source and on-premise audio editing software

4.8/5
4.4/5
4.3/5
4.1/5

Durgesh
Durgesh

Pro Tool with out the cost

Reviewed on 2023/05/11

Overall I have been very satisfied and continue to use the program both on windows and apple platforms.

Pros

Audacity is a free open source pro tool which provides all of the functionality that is present in a paid pro tool. The user friendly gui and the availability of audio effects and functions make Audacity the best tool for audio manipulation and editing.

Cons

The learning curve to learn the basics are a bit steep. The tool could use some of the modern day ux design but for all its limitations, the tool does its job very well which is editing audio.

Camtasia

Reasons for Choosing Audacity

Cost

VEGAS Pro

Reasons for Switching to Audacity

It’s open source and free.
Joe
  • Industry: Media Production

Audacity is that free little program that does a wonderful job.

Reviewed on 2021/04/24

I have had a joyous experience with Audacity.

I have had a joyous experience with Audacity.

Pros

Recording software is extremely expensive. Other brands can make it big impact on your financial situation.
For a long time I have been a user of a very popular software editing program. My job requires me to have several computers. Many times I have faced the inability to install software on many machines. So I went with the next best thing. I looked for free stuff.
I was so surprised when I started using Audacity. Not only did it have all the same functions, but it produced great sounding audio. Editing was simple, and I didn't have to go through complicated setups just to get the job done. It was like it worked right out of the box.

Cons

I really don't have anything to complain about Audacity. I would even recommend that this is the go-to software for anybody on a budget.

Tyler
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

A quick and free basic way to edit audio!

Reviewed on 2022/07/28

I will use Audacity occasionally, as it's ease of use, being free, and uses little processing power is difficult to beat. It has some flaws and can use some improvements, but I would recommend it for most people.

Pros

What's great is Audacity launches quick and runs smooth on older computers as well as modern setups with no performance hit. It's a great piece of software for basic audio editing needs and in particular great for making sound effects, cutting audio clips, and adding some basic effects such as fade in, fade out, etc. The simplicity of of the interface is very clear cut and easy for beginners to the software to understand. Audacity also has a quick way of adding multiple layers, which is useful as it allows you to duplicate something you're working on, make changes to the new version and go back to the original layer and copy over made changes if any mistakes were made during the process. If you want to record a bit of audio with a microphone plugged in, Audacity also allows you to do that with relative ease.

Cons

What's not so great is no built-in mp3 export and finding out about it the first time after installing the program and you've been working on a project for some time. This really stinks and should really be integrated when first installing the program. Instead the user needs to download a separate plugin and just seems unnecessary. There should also be a more intuitive and cleaner way to search for effects, as currently it's just a massive drop-down menu with too many options displayed in one place, we could really use a menu with different categories or sections, would be easier to find an effect and save some productivity in the long run!

Joel
Joel

Power media editting tool for creators

Reviewed on 2021/05/06

The software is rock solid and once you know how to import and modify the content you can do power editing and creation. this software allowed me to capture decades old audio from outdated formats and bring it into the digital world!

Pros

Audacity works across all the media types that I needed. With Audacity I was able to reconstruct audio recordings based on multiple takes that I had on old cassettes for a music project. The ability to edit with extreme precision to capture outtakes and re-assemble them into a fluid final cut was amazing.

Cons

The UI isn't as pretty as other solutions and it take time with the manual to understand how to use the software. Not a show stopper, but given how much this software can do, it was worth the extra effort to understand the basics.

Tomáš
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Freeware software for audio editing

Reviewed on 2023/04/21

Handy program for fast audio editing, easy to use.

Handy program for fast audio editing, easy to use.

Pros

Audacity is free and easy to use, there is many editing options and sound effects.

Cons

Program has only destructive editing, there is no way to get back.

Alexander

Audacity: Feature-Packed and Highly Capable

Reviewed on 2023/09/18

In my experience of around 10+ years of using this software, there's plenty of tools, features and compatibility. It is cross-platform, which means you'll be able to use it on Windows and Linux, for example, and it's Free software!Audacity is great for whoever is beginning their journey in Audio Editing, and it's highly capable for other kind of users as well.Overall I highly recommend this software.

Pros

The compatibility with the different importing and exporting formats.The ease of use, it is simply incredibly easy to begin using and extremely intuitive for professional users.The features, things like being able to view and customize Spectral Views along with viewing the regular Waveform at the same time.Plenty of filters and the ability of importing your own VSTs, LADSPA and LV2 ones.Multi-Track support.

Cons

Importing MIDI is possible but using .mid files is very limited. Perhaps a little customization or a set of features to overlay midi data on top of a waveform for transcription might be useful, although it's not the program's main task.ASIO Support would be nice to have, currently the audio devices are tied to the system. Using input equipment in latency-bound scenarios can be tough for direct monitoring through the software on Windows. On Linux it may be possible to direct monitor, provided that you activate the option and set the proper buffersize.Even more advanced editing features would be welcome, although not strictly necessary.For professional use, to my knowledge there is no surround support. But considering this software is aimed at simple usage, it still provides a lot of features.

Geniene
  • Industry: Media Production

Audacity - The Answer to online radio producers who are not inherently sound engineers!

Reviewed on 2023/10/04

I have enjoyed my experience and have taught my entire staff complement how to use it and continue using all the options so they can learn and teach each other new tricks.

Pros

I love that I dont have to be a sound engineer to understand sound waves and how to create high quality sound and audio clips. Its simple to teach DJ's how to use Audacity to create their own jingles, voice overs and clean up their recordings for Podcasts. Their import facility and ability to add and move audio clips to where its most suitable within the file, is beyond reproach and I couldn't have done some of the radio interviews without it. Especially when clients make errors during recordings.

Cons

Very little but if I have to find fault its when you have to install the ff library and that's a challenge as it never works first time. It's quite a mission to get it installed. So I usually tell my DJs to convert their files to mp3 online and then import into Audacity. It doesn't seem to lose quality.

Michael

Perfect for many use cases for audio development even when many digital audio workstations...

Reviewed on 2023/09/18

I mostly use it for batch imports and exports since it allows me to convert or apply effects to multiple audio files at once. Taking some FLAC files and mass convert them to OGG and MP3 or taking those files and adding a speed increase or decrease to them in bulk before exporting.

Pros

It's very simple and easy to work with and edit. Allows for real time editing and batch exporting, batch importing/applying effects and batch converting. It works the best when dealing with multiple things at once to apply things at once and wait for it to export.

Cons

Outside some features, it mostly doesn't have anything to support itself to be different than most digital audio workstations and most features are in digital audio workstations for doing basic stuff or adding effects.

Elijah
  • Industry: Computer Games

I Love Audacity

Reviewed on 2023/10/02

I have seen many people use this free service and I had to try it out for myself. It failed to disappoint. I love this service and will not stop using it.

Pros

I really like that it is a completely free service. It has no paywall at all. Also, the software is really easy to read and doesn't shove tons of things at you as soon as you open it.

Cons

I have absolutely no complaints about this great software.

William Wesley
  • Industry: Music

Same As It Ever Was.

Reviewed on 2024/02/02

Pros

Simple to use, reliable, easy to add 3rd party vst instruments, effects etc

Cons

It's consistent, and has looked about the same since it's initial release, not necessarily a con.

Adam
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

I tried Audacity and moved on to other products.

Reviewed on 2022/08/25

I found myself wishing for more and better options that I need for audio and video work when we are editing soundtracks and films, etc. After a trial run, I looked elsewhere.

Pros

I liked that Audacity is free to download and try. It lets you give it a shot and see if it works for a business before investing more time and money into it. I am grateful for that.

Cons

There are better products out there. I think Audacity tries too hard to be the "universal" standard for open-source digital audio editing and in doing so it lacks more sophisticated features and options that I am looking for. There are many more suites of software that are more robust and go beyond what this basic app can do. Don't get me wrong. The app is good and I am sure it meets the needs of most users.

AVS Video Editor and AVS Audio Editor

Reasons for Switching to Audacity

I didn't. I tried it only because the name is a standard for most audio editors.
Muhammad

As an editor, You need Audacity to become professional.

Reviewed on 2021/08/10

Being a YouTuber, I'm running three youtube channels. Each time I am going to upload a video on any youtube channel, Firstly I'm going to edit my voice with the audacity to make it professional. so i can say that audacity is the worst software on my computer that is most important for me than my pc.
Being a freelancer, I use to create intro and outro videos for my clients. and for that voice quality matters a lot. And I can do this only with help of audio editing software, Definitely, I am going to choose audacity to kick a nice shot.
I have 30+ clients from worldwide who are working with me only to edit their scripts, and I am using audacity to generate good revenue by making my clients permanent just because of serving them good quality service.
So audacity is the main part of my carrier. If you are thinking of being YouTuber, then defiantly audacity is going to help a lot. You can edit your recorder scripts and your background music. This is not all which I have been told you there is much more you are going to experience in audacity.

Pros

The "Track" feature of audacity is my favorite ever. we can always add a new track in any format mono, stereo, label, or in any we wish. Even we can separate tracks too from our voice with help of audacity.
When I need to remove vocals from a song to generate background music for my video, then tracks are going to help me a lot. I can always cut and copy the song through the track and can paste it on the track where ever I want.
when I use to record my script, Definitely some unwanted noise is going to appear in my video. And now I want to delete that specific part of the script to make it good. Now here tracks are too important to make a right cut from the script.
Other local software has limited capacity to zoom in and out of the tracks. But in audacity, we can zoom up to the last point, and we will be able to saw a sine wave in the zooming case.
when we move to audio mixing, Definitely it is going to do through tracks. So I can say the track is a more important feature of audacity.

Cons

Everything in audacity is almost good and too easy to use but I have some objections.
I don't like the "Noise Reduction" feature of audacity. Each time I need to remove the noise from my script, Firstly, I need to generate a voice removal noise profile every time. Otherwise, it is not going to work properly.
I wish the Audacity team should add some noise removing profiles by default. so I save my time and can use them quickly to remove noise from my script and can make it professional only with a single click.
Here is another objection I have, when I use to remove noise from my recorder script. It deletes my recorded voice too, which is absolutely not a good option. The Audacity team should work on this and make this feature good for us.
I'm still using this software because thinking that the audacity team is working on this.

Stephen Zak

Audio Editing Software

Reviewed on 2022/11/27

Audacity includes countless fundamental sound effects where you could also add various plugins. Preset EQ bends, are a major take away, with an ongoing sneak peak in the effects and features. There is an incredible Bass and High pitch changes as well as high-and low-pass channels. A basic compressor, limiter, phaser, reverb, wahwah and tremolo impacts likewise show up among the choices. Switching sound or shortening quietness takes simply a quite adjustment. There are some features that highlight you to include voiceovers a webcast or radio track. Maybe the best part is that Audacity upholds processes that utilizes a favorable condition when it comes to adjusting the project rate . For instance, you can adjust a progression of audio effects or sounds at the same time without re using similar features again and again.

Pros

Audacity allows you to keep in either 16-digit or 24-bit sound. One of the most desirable characteristics that it can flawlessly change over and consolidate any sounds you haul in, paying little mind to test rate and organizations. Concerning altering, we can recorder, copy, or erase sound, orchestrate various sound effects on a similar track, and alter directly down to a sample level. The featuring functions permits you to add custom with fade in and fade out options also.

Cons

To be honest I don`t have anything that i don`t like about Audacity as it has always been my first choice for a pre production of my music and arranging the segments or stems for a fantastic collaboration or pre designed output.

Do you want to learn audio engineering quickly and easily ?

Reviewed on 2022/03/21

To be honest, I've used it for over 3 years and only use it when I'm in a hurry, it serves the purpose at that moment .

Pros

Speed and ease are always required for anyone, whether it is for their own company or for another business. Time these days is important, and anyone should take advantage of it. I apologize for the introduction, but it will save me the trouble of delivering information to you.
I will not say that it is the best audio engineering program, but there are other programs that are more in-depth in this field, such as Adobe Audition, but what is unique about Audacity is that it is very easy to use and has all the things that you will use in audio engineering like other programs .
You can master it in a few days, the user interface is very simple and you will not have difficulty, the nice thing is that it is open source, and anyone can download it for free.

Cons

It is true that the user interface is simple and easy to deal with, but it is not the beauty of Adobe Audition, there you feel that you are in an audio engineering program
Unlike Audacity , which you don't feel it .

Gary
  • Industry: Media Production

Audacity intimidated me at first; now we're old friends

Reviewed on 2023/03/21

With Audacity I'm able to do everything I need to do; manage the timeline, improve the quality of individual clips, equalize if I need more mid-tones, or move out too much bass.

Pros

Most, of course is the price - free. I appreciate that there's a huge amount of community support. You can master the program by watching YouTube videos.

Cons

I personally don't care for the fact you have to select your clip first before you can move it. Select the whole length of the clip you're moving. More drag and drop would be nice.

Guy
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Audacity works well for me.

Reviewed on 2023/04/17

At first, I was having trouble with another software when it came to converting the mix to an MP3 file. I downloaded the Audacity program and made the MP3 file in a few minutes. While, I was there, I saw other things it could be used for. In particular, the voiceovers. I also found it very helpful when collaborating with other artists.

Pros

Many times, software has a learning curve. (How long it takes to be proficient in what you bought the software for) I found Audacity to be quite easy to learn. The curve, for me was abbreviated.

Cons

I don't have a Con for this. Frankly, for the price, I didn't have a high bar set for it. But Audacity far exceeded my expectations.

John

Great for starting out

Reviewed on 2022/08/27

Audacity was perfect for me to record and learn how to edit my voiceover content all while being free. I think it's great for beginners or people who want to give voice-over a try. Audacity makes it super easy to learn and gives you everything you need to start your voiceover career or just for fun!

Pros

First off I love that it's free and one of the easiest voice-over softwares I've used. Of course, you still need to have some base understanding but it's very user-friendly. The ability to convert files to fit specific formats is great and super useful

Cons

Obviously, because it's free there are many features that aren't available but for someone just starting out you really don't need those extra features. They can also seem overwhelming at first when there are so many so keeping it simple is great but later on after some experience, you may find yourself wanting more and inclined to find other ssoftware and pay for those extra features.

Ouattara
Ouattara
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A great audio editing software for beginners

Reviewed on 2023/02/08

Audacity is one of my favorite audio editing software, especially since I am not a pro at it. Its many features are enough for me. Audacity is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a simple and efficient audio editing tool.

Pros

Audacity is a fairly efficient program for working with audio files. Even though it is considered a beginner's program, its various features make it an excellent choice for audio editing. Among other things, we can mention the synchronization of several tracks, the normalization of volume, the removal of noise, etc. In addition, it is open-source, totally free, and available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Not to mention that it supports most audio formats. Not bad for beginner's software

Cons

- Advanced features missing for professional use- Not very easy to use for beginners- No app for Android or iOS

james
james
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

audacity-200.

Reviewed on 2023/03/25

Pros

audacity gave me the opportunity to use my creativity into music and changing sounds to more smoothened and easier versions to understand.dddd

Cons

there aren't many options to choose from, but mainly i suggest that the only point that doesn't let me use audacity to a full potential, is the complex system behind all the ideas i want to adoperate.

Margaret
  • Industry: Online Media

learning curve so steep it's vertical

Reviewed on 2023/01/14

Trying to voice record. More than three weeks behind schedule due to performance issues.

Pros

When it works, it seems to be okay, but I can't even get to using it because settings and performance issues are severe.

Cons

Every day I sign on to the software, and every day it has a different problem than the day before. Nothing has been changed since the day before when I have inevitably spent HOURS finding that day's problem and fixing it. I have spent hours and hours searching their help forum. I have spent hours on the internet trying to identify what infinitesimal thing is causing problems. Sometimes I do nothing, and somehow the problem corrects itself for no reason. The whole point of this software is that I shouldn't need either a software engineer or a sound engineer to use it. That has not been my experience. Not sure if other programs are any better, but online reviews indicate that Audacity is one of the best around. There is virtually no help, except a forum where someone might or might not answer. I'm not stupid and I can follow the directions I find by googling. It's just that the solutions don't generally address the problem.

Avery
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great for beginners to start with

Reviewed on 2021/11/12

I was recording videos for my Youtube channel, and I needed something like GarageBand to record my vocals. Of course, it's aggrivating to use 2 different computers for this task, but I was able to find Audacity and use the program to get my audio in line. It also sounds really amazing! Took my videos to a more professional level

Pros

I loved being able to record and mix quickly without much trouble. Literally plugged in my microphone interface and started recording away! Once you understand it's simplicity, it can take you a long way!

Cons

There were times where slowing down the audio was too distorted, even after adding the right effects. Also, moving around the interface can be a bit overwhelming. There is alot of buttons in front of you, so making sure you know the userface is very important.

• Industry: Higher Education

I Love this Software

Reviewed on 2021/08/15

From recording a single source to quickly editing or encoding audio, Audacity is an incredible free tool that has been on the market for almost 2 decades. It is my go-to for quickly editing audio or recording a source.

Pros

Audacity was the first recording program that I had used when I began experimenting with music 15 years ago. Ever since, it is my go-to program for projects or audio that need quick editing. For these simple operations, I find Audacity to be perfect. No need to load up a ton of presets or plug-ins. Audacity is good to go and easy to use.

Cons

Audacity lacks some of the features of some of the higher-end Digital Audio Workstations like Logic or Pro Tools, but for a free tool, it is extremely robust. Added features can be nice, but it may take aware from Audacity's stream-lined process.

Zaiba
Zaiba

The Audacity to make Life Simple

Reviewed on 2021/06/07

Audacity is a great place to start if you're interested in podcasting or recording music. Audacity is still the go-to pick for quick-and-filthy audio processing, despite being a strong, free, open-source audio editor that's been around for years.

Pros

1. Audacity is a great place to start if you're new to audio editing. It's helpful for learning the basic elements and operations of audio editing while also completing the assignments flawlessly.
2. The learning curve for Audacity is also rather short.
3. Another feature I appreciate is that it's little in comparison to more complicated software, so it can be installed quickly and easily on any machine without consuming too much space.

Cons

1. Audacity is not a professional tool and cannot be used in place of a full-fledged Digital Audio Workstation. 2. Audacity offers just the most basic capabilities for dealing with sound, and it does not facilitate the implementation of third-party plug-ins, but it is perfectly adequate for quick sound editing and recording a demo track.
3. The interface is the only drawback. It appears to be out of date.

Amin

The default podcasting editor

Reviewed on 2021/08/05

Audacity has allowed us to run our podcast for over 10 years. It is also useful for any audio editing in general, including editing audio to use in video projects. It is a fairly good convertor as well, able to handle most audio types.

Pros

Audacity is easy to use for the first user, but contains a depth of options for the advanced user. It can be used be novice and expert alike. It should be the first editor one uses when you start podcasting and for many, it can be the only one as well.

Cons

Audio export tends to freeze up the computer until the file is completed, it would have been ideal if there were settings to determine % of PC use and modification of the export window. It would also help if there was a visual undo button rather than just the keyword that undos an action.

Marissa
  • Industry: Entertainment

Powerful program in an ugly package

Reviewed on 2021/06/22

I am grateful that Audacity exists and has its high-level functionality. The compression and noise reduction are truly excellent. I wish it were a non-destructive editor, but it’s hard to fault such powerful freeware for anything. That’s why I DO recommend it to people. And high-level podcasters recommended it to me!

Pros

It allows for really high-level audio editing and manipulation, and is free. Even though there’s no real customer support, you can find out how to do most things via a vast online wiki.

Cons

It’s just an eyesore. The UI is both unpleasant to look at and clunky to figure out. It doesn’t play normally with my computer as an application. I wish it were non-destructive.