ShelbyNext Financials Reviews

ShelbyNext Financials

Accounting and financial management for churches

Kay

Shelby Financials Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

We use Shelby Financials for our Accounts Payables and Credit Card statements. We have found it to be very reliable. The customer service support has been excellent. The techs know their stuff and will work to the very end to come up with a solution for us.

Pros

I like the ease of the software. It's fairly easy to navigate and meets our needs as a church. I like the cues when I am on the wrong account number or I did not put the right amount in the que. It has a great in balance/out of balance feature that prevents a lot of error. And, when there are errors, it's pretty easy to make corrections.

Cons

Some of the drop downs seem to move quickly before I can make a selection, such as choosing a category on the drop down on the Posted Journals. I can't seem to be able to click fast enough before it disappears.

Vevette
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Thankful for ShelbyNext Financials!

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

ShelbyNext Financials is clean, once learned, easy to understand & navigate, and it communicates across other Shelby products.

Pros

What I like most about Shelby Financial is the communication between the other Shelby platforms, once I learned the program's logic I like it more than our previous accounting software, and the Outstanding customer service.

Cons

Some of the report formatting is not my preference.

Ben

If we knew better...

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Poor accounting support.

Poor accounting support.

Pros

Lots of features, capabilities to expand. Workflows are great!

Cons

Shelby financials-
Customer support can’t give us GAP advice; if I had known There were not accountants we could call we wouldn’t have purchased.

We were oversold. The capabilities are great but we would rather have quality over quantity - seems when we call to ask questions we get different support specialist who have different opinions on how to accomplish our goal, none of which actually help in the big picture, so we are left “figuring it out.”

Forms
We have to try to creat work around a to create forms that would allow us to sell merchandise. Too bad there’s not an integrated system that talked with Financials - that specifically was told to us.

Calendar
I cannot believe the calendar will not display more than 3 months at a time on the app - crazy! It too doesn’t have similar feature to share events via website or other apps.

Overall, it’s expensive, it’s not doing what we need it to, customer service has been sketchy, however we feel we’ve spent sooooo much time in it that we can’t leave it bc we have too much time invested- in other words we feel strapped into a corner.

Planning Center

Reasons for Choosing ShelbyNext Financials

Excitement for expansion, but feel let down
Amy

Overall good product

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Honestly, we switched so that we would have cloud based software. It's nice to be able to do my work anywhere.

Pros

This software is easier to use than Shelby v5. I like the way in interfaces with ShelbyNext Membership.

Cons

The reporting function still has a pretty steep learning curve.

ACS

Reasons for Choosing ShelbyNext Financials

We wanted cloud based software with more functionality.

Reasons for Switching to ShelbyNext Financials

Migration from Shelby v5 seemed like it was going to be easier.
Ana

Reviewed on 2019/09/08

Pros

I have been using ShelbyNext Financials only for a year, so I believe there are a lot still to learn; but so far I like it a lot.
It's non accountant user's friendly, which help Financial Dept let the others see their updated budget information; with the setup of the correct security parameters
In general all the configuration is really easy, while modifying the COA you'll be able to see the levels on the screen which it will help to setup new accounts.
The option to have the reports in different formats is useful.
Importing the annual budget, the credit card into ShelyNext saves a lot of time and reduce the errors.
There is a lot of features that you'll be discovering as your needs appear.
In my position, have access from anywhere to the accounting is awesome.

Cons

The cons that I found is the exporting in excel, most used for finances; the reports include additional lines and columns that you basically have to re-format the entire report.
We are coming from v.5 which was giving us the option to refresh in excel at any time the monthly balances, with ShelbyNext we have to export in excel every time an once again re-format the report.
No much information for the Ad Hoc Reports, which are extremely hard to understand and use them; reports from Payroll relate to employees information only, and reports from Purchasing Management (no reporting at all) are important to us and ShelbyNext doesn't give options.
We would like to be able to have consolidate Financial Reports for the different campus we have directly from the software.

Rachel

Longtime user

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Pros

We previously used Shelby v5 financials and so we liked that we were somewhat familiar with the brand already. We knew Shelby is an established company. We like that it is web based which makes it possible to work from home on occasion. The payroll, accounts payable, and general ledger modules seem to work well for our needs. Overall it meets our needs and because we previously used Shelby we felt it was a safe choice.

Cons

Based on our experience switching from v5 to ShelbyNext, we miss certain feature that we were used to. I wish that Shelby had a better solution than Accounts Receivable for registrations (we have a preschool and other events). The "relationships" feature in Accounts Receivable needs some work. There is an online payment piece, but we stopped using it because it seemed that it needed much more development and just didn't work for us. We were also very disappointed to learn that ShelbyNext Financials does not share data with ShelbyNext membership like v5 did. This is a pain to keep addresses and other contact info updated in both systems. There is no "Globafile" equivalent in ShelbyNext Financials either, so it can be hard to look for someone if you want to see if they are in the system and update an address or something. We also have had issues with "bugs" frequently in the software that we have to work around (sometimes these bugs happen after software updates). Support is usually friendly but depending on who you get, some are definitely more knowledgeable than others. The support phone line waits can get kind of long. Last thing I would say is the built in reports frequently don't meet all our needs, I wish we had more options for pulling data.

Carrie

Extremely satisfied with ShelbyNext Financials

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

We use ShelbyNext to provide administrative support to many Assembly of God churches throughout the state of Illinois so they can focus on ministry and we can do the administrative work that is extremely necessary but not always at the forefront of the priority list. ShelbyNext Financials provides the software to enable us to remove the stress of church administration and finances so the church can dedicate their time to reaching others through Christ.

Pros

ShelbyNext is an extremely efficient, effective software that is able to provide very detailed information while still being user friendly and easy to learn.

Cons

There are a few idiosyncrasies throughout the software that I feel are unnecessary and often time consuming. For example, requiring the user to enter a description for every AP transaction, or requiring a confirmation number for each EFT AP transaction is often not necessary information that the church needs.

Suzy

Reviewed on 2019/08/18

SN Financials helps us to track both receipts and expenditures in such a way that is easy for our congregation to understand. Basic reports generated have created a consistent reporting of church finances.

Pros

I like that all of our church management software is through Shelby. The transition to ShelbyNext from the v.5 product was challenging, and yet, Shelby was something of a “known” product for us. Not all church management packages have a financial component, and yet, Shelby did. It is fairly easy to use with basic accounting knowledge.

Cons

Some of the “fixes” for glitches in the software have taken considerable time to resolve. Have never been confident enough in the syncing process to sync up on-line gifts to the GL. Creating special reports is not user friendly.

Robin

Software is great, implementation was horrible, customer support not good

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Once trained very easy to use and intuitive.

Once trained very easy to use and intuitive.

Pros

It is superior accounting software (and I have used many over the years). I like the basic logic to this software and because of this basic logic the ability to run many different reports many different ways. I absolutely love the bank reconciliation reports and the general ledger and the way you can fashion reports based on your need. I like that you can adjust the income statement with custom columns.

Cons

I don't like it when I am doing a journal entry and the first line never accepts the account number and the only way to get it to "recognize" it is to search for it. Annoying. I don't like that all of a sudden something will look entirely different from the last time you performed that same function. When you call customer support and you are in critical need the recording tells you they can not answer at this time and to call back. Not acceptable for a support based software that we pay so much for.

Laura

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Pros

I like being able to see the transaction inquiry...to view by invoice or by payment. I like to be able to see how the payment was applied, especially when it is applied to multiple invoices. I also like being able to pre-populate our charges.

Cons

I hate that this "world" doesn't connect to the Shelby Membership "world". Having to input demographic information into both is such a time-consuming thing. Because we are a preschool, I have to enter the parent(s) and the child(ren) in both places.

Mary

Online financial software

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Pros

I like the ease with which I can import from Arena to Shelby Next Financials. After I got used to it I found it easy to navigate through the applications. I only use the General Ledger to import contributions from Arena and Bank account management to enter non contribution income. The other two users in our organization seem to have easily adapted from Shelby V.5 with no major problems.

Cons

I find the process of importing much slower than before. I liked how all the applications worked together in v.5 - all using the same names and being able to use membership and vendors separately but not having to import data from one to the other. So this part is hard for me. We also were able to use reporting to get information more easily in Shelby V.5 For instance I was able to put a profile on certain vendors and run a report to send them Christmas cards. Now I have to use Excel and manually keep track of them.

Pier

Shelby Next

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

We were forced to comfort because support for our prior product was to be discontinued. It was communicated that the same functions were going to available and that was incorrect. We are still awaiting several reports and functions that are critical.

Pros

The software is relatively inexpensive compared to other financial accounting packages. It provides many features that are used by religious organizations.

Cons

The new Shelby Next product lacks many of the previous features in Shelby V5. It is difficult to contact representatives to resolve problems. There are many bugs in the system and processes are not consistent with many other accounting software packages. The product does not seem that it was tested properly prior to rolling out to customers. There are too many workarounds that should be included in any accounting software.

Emily

ShelbyNext Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

I like it overall. I really like the over lap between Shelby and Arena. For a church our size it helps with keeping track of individuals information. I am not an accountant by trade so I appreciate the user friendliness of this software. For me, it was very easy to pick up and learn.

Pros

I like the user friendliness of the software overall. I like that it helps guide you in the correct accounting procedures.

Cons

The glitchiness of it. Sometimes it does not work properly and I have to go back and un-post transactions.

Shelby

Intuitive Product

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

I have really enjoyed this product and I would recommend it to someone who works for a smaller company!

Pros

When I started at ECO they were using V.5 but had just made the switch to ShelbyNext. Since we didn't have anyone on staff who knew how it worked I was left to teach myself. Using the system was easy and I rarely had issues. The layout of the interface makes sense.

Cons

The software itself does everything we need it to as a denomination. We use all functions expect the payroll piece because we outsource that. When calling customer service there is usually a wait time which is sometimes frustrating.

Kenton
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Beats the old Version 5 but it is not near what other online products have to offer

Reviewed on 2021/03/03

We moved to ShelbyNext because the version we had been using was no longer supported and we weren't ready to make a major conversion. We only stayed with them for 1 year, until we could find a better solution.

Pros

It was a huge upgrade from Shelby V5 which was server-based. Cloud-based was a major step in the right direction, but not enough.

Cons

Reports. The ones provided were not very helpful. Also, I hated the fact that when looking at a report online (like the GL which could be 100 pages), when you reach the bottom of a page, you had to scroll back to the top to go to the next page - very annoying.

Kathy

ShelbyNext/Financials

Reviewed on 2019/08/30

The benefits to ShelbyNext/Financials is accountability for the user. You have a paper trail (so to speak) for each entry that you do in the financials module which is key. Not all financial software has this requirement.

Pros

I like the fact that ShelbyNext follows GAAP policy and procedures to bookkeeping as well as it's ease of use.

Cons

The cost. I think it is a shame that smaller churches cannot afford to take advantage of Shelby's programs for financial oversight.

Peter

Not for non-accountants

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

We use ShelbyNext Financials for maintaining our budgets, submitting expenses, and approving expenses. Nothing overly complicated. It works, and does accomplish what we want, just with a few more steps or a little more confusion than we want.

Pros

ShelbyNext does make it easy to see a quick snapshot of how spending is going in various categories verses what has been budgeted. This is convenient for any main user to check in on, and not have to make requests of the accountant directly.

Cons

Overall, it feels like it's only made for accountants-it hasn't been fine-tuned or made quick, clear, and easy like other programs we use regularly. Perhaps this is the general problem with accounting software, but as ShelbyNext is meant to have many non-accountants involved, submitting expenses, checking budgets, etc, it could be much more streamlined to make this work.

We use the system to not only submit our expenses, but to check on what other leaders/volunteers spend in our areas, but this, too, isn't smoothly designed. When there are errors in expense reports, fixing them always takes a few extra steps that could easily be streamlined. It just overall takes more time than any of us who use it like to spend.

Karen

ShelbyNext exceeds expectations

Reviewed on 2019/08/30

Pros

ShelbyNext makes it easy to create or update accounts payable vendors, enter and pay invoices direct to vendors or enter credit card transactions for multiple card holders. We have 50+ card holders so it makes it easy to sort transactions by cardholder, date, vendor, account, etc. We also have multiple bank accounts and it is easy to choose which account to enter transactions into.

Cons

There really aren't any negatives that I have found working with this software. It meets all my expectations of what I need it to do, from entering transactions to creating reports. I just had to get used to reports looking different, but definitely a more clean updated look.

Carol
  • Industry: Accounting

Improvement is Needed

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Pros

Ease of use. Easy access. Support is very good.

Cons

It’s behind other software packages in its ability to be more versatile....uploading automatically electronic documents, bank statements, etc. Software is behind many other versions out there which has been a great disappointment.

Marlene

ShelbyNext Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

ShelbyNext helps us to generate customized financial statements to provide a complete summary report. Creating special reports is easy to do.

Pros

ShelbyNext is an easy to use program that has good safeguards to ensure tracking of all transactions.

Cons

There are some updates that need to be made to the Accounts Payable module so that you can enter ACH invoices so they appear in your Accounts Payable balance and then you can record the payment.

Jennifer
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great product - not perfect, but the tech team is always making improvements

Good

Good

Pros

The online access is a must, so long as you have fast reliable connectivity, you will enjoy using this program.

Cons

Not all of the applications function the same. I have had to come up with some work arounds to accomplish my accounting duties efficiently.

Carol
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

It is getting much better than when we started almost two years ago. But changes are coming...

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

It is the backbone of our day. Most of what we do is through this software, so it is very important to us. We use just about everything available within the product. It helps in training new employees that the commands and screens are similar in each area.

Pros

I can get most of the reports that I need. The support team are helpful on most issues. The development team is working to get things fixed.

Cons

There are too many times that we are told that the software won't do what we need. I wish we had more flexibility in setting up the formatting of reports. There are too many clicks in some areas.

Mahala
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

We use Shelby for our accounting software and it works for now, but is not the easiest to...

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Shelby has worked in keeping our financials in order and an effecient way of record keeping.

Pros

I do like that we can print several different reports for what we need. We can print statements, receipts, and financial reports.

Cons

This system is not user friendly, and seems to work based on a negative report system. The reports are not as easy to follow in the system or find with what you want.

Amanda

Very helpful software

Reviewed on 2019/09/07

Over all experience is very good. Great support, our area representative, is awesome!!

Pros

I like that the software handles many of the accounting tasks necessary for our church and academy.

Cons

The ease of customizing the reports could be improved. Also, it would be very helpful if the system allowed for identifying sales tax paid on purchases more easily. The system allows for splitting the payment between item price and sales tax but no reporting feature is available that will show what tax has been entered.

Carolyn

Very easy to use and the support team is always great - they help to make your work easier.

Reviewed on 2018/05/23

All-in-one product that is easy to use with great support!

All-in-one product that is easy to use with great support!

Pros

User friendly and capable of using portals for others to view their data. Allows full integration between modules.

Cons

Would love to be able to add/delete accounts en mass instead of to each cost center one by one. Need to have a way to email reports to people integrated into the GL.