Open Social

Community, member, and engagement management software

David M.
  • Industry: Public Policy
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great tool for Community Development

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

Very positive. Great company to partner with. Extremely responsive and supportive.

Pros

We needed to create a regional social network for a smart cities initiative, and Open Social was incredibly easy to deploy and set up. We've had some great uptick in our community and everyone finds it very easy to use.

Cons

You're limited in design (e.g. fonts), although extensions like dashboards are really helpful.

Response from Open Social

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. We're grateful for your positive experience and we're glad you feel we're on the right track!

If you have any question please feel free to reach out https://www.getopensocial.com/about-us/#contact

Bruce S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Overall Kudos

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

I am pleased with the versatility and future possibilities!

As an Open Source user, however I wish there was a more direct way to get help even if it were on a modest fee basis! I can afford very little in the development stage but believe once fully in production can develop enough income via a advert model to pay for additional tech.

Whether that future tech comes from within the Open Social Community or outside, it would still require strong interaction due to the unique elements within its structure!

Pros

It serves the goals and needs I have been searching for many years.

It is set to replace a 20 year old non CMS that I programmed with the same features philosophy (Social Media) and tools in mind however technology has surpassed its capabilities!

Flexibility: The ability to reconstruct many features to conform to my needs!

The Open Source Community, while seemingly minimal in manpower is committed and engaged!

Cons

Regarding pricing, I use the Open Source version as the SaaS version is seeming targeted at multinational and very large organizations. Hence well beyond my means.

Huge learning curve which is as much a Drupal issue as it is Open Social.

Turnaround on support is slow (however, considering that it is Open Source that is to be expected)

I have received feedback from many Beta Testers (Lay Users) that the navigation is hard to understand and even though I have provided comprehensive documentation on the platform, still find it technically difficult! Several joined but have not returned! Note: these beta testers come from the World of Facebook and Twitter!

Huihua H.

Concise interface and looking forward to more functions

Reviewed on 2020/01/16

Pros

The interface is very concise and clear, easy to understand and get hands-on.

Cons

It would be perfect for the new users if there would be a "help" mark to show user manual below each button/section so that more guidance or explanation can be provided immediately

Nana I.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

a Drupal Social Apps

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

it's a Drupal. We can build more the Open Social in a Drupal Way. We can build anything with Drupal. And with Open Social, we have an Social Apps that can develop more and more, i.e. we can add a market place, e-learning system, or add any features on our social apps.

Pros

it's a Drupal. With Open Social, I got a social apps and with Drupal, we can develop anything addition features.

Cons

may be difficult in the first installation.

Olivier R.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Very satisfy by the flexibility, the rapidity to setup and the power to evolve

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

Pros

The handover is realy quick and the documentation realy helfull with a great hotline!
The tool is powerfull due to the open-source licence we can add our own features very simply.

Cons

The SaaS solution don't give me enought flexibility to add my custom features so I take a custom hosting.

Gregory V.

Starting an online LGBTIQ+-community with ease

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

Pros

Installing and setting up Open Social is easy; your own social networksite could be up and running in only a day.

Cons

Extensions are not available for the free edition (distribution).

Sugen P.

OpenSocial review

Reviewed on 2021/02/21

Really pleasent expereince. Helped me launched really quickly.

Pros

Opens Source, very well featured, and easy to setup and use using Platform.sh. Support from the OpenSocial team is very good, are they are always on had to assist.

Cons

Not much, although there is a learning curve mostly on the Drupal Side. Once up to speed its really good.

Kalie A.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Exceptional customer service, and quality product

Reviewed on 2020/12/21

High quality customer service, responsive to questions, and thorough in their approach to learning our business needs.

Pros

Ability to meet our needs through custom developments

Cons

The back end can be complex and could do with some easy to use reference manuals