1 630 reviews

Patriot Payroll

Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

4,7
1 630 reviews
Mike F.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Company size: Self Employed

Saves so much time, and I always recommend it!

Reviewed on 2020/06/04

I've saved so much money and time with Patriot, thank you for this product!

Pros

I was paying over $300/mo for a full service payroll for myself + 3 employees to a CPA. I now pay under $40/month for full service payroll with Patriot, and their software is a joy to use. Running a quick payroll, and handling bonuses, benefits, and deductions is so straight forward. The setup and support team is easy to access, quick to answer, and in the US!

Cons

Just because I like to have all of the information, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to have a tax portal to see my balances and standing all of the state/federal tax accounts.

Darrell W.
Industry: Entertainment

The Perfect Payroll Solution for Us

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

This is a product that I cannot say enough about. and In the very few cases where I have needed assistance they have product support like I've never seen before. Patient, smart humans will take all the time I need to help me with any issue, without exception.

Pros

It is super easy to use from setting it up. Once set up it is quick complete and a truly perfect solution for a smaller business.

Cons

Not really a con, but sometimes I have to look around to find what I need, but it's all there and easy to use even for a non accountant.

Chris D.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Get a real company to do your payroll

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/05/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you.
They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly.
NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted.
The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process.
I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot:
1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made.

2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off".

3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year.

4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals

5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.)

6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period.

7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it!

I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Lisa R.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A Great Deal For The Money

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

Having the option of direct deposti for our workers has been a great time & money saver. No more waisting money on paper checks. It was easy to set up and even easier to process.

Pros

Patriot Payroll has many great benefits including direct deposit, not only for employees but also for contract workers. The Cost of the software is not even a comparison to the rest of the companies out there. Patriot Payroll is extremely affordable, no hidden cost, excellent customer service, and will even track your 1099 workers pay for the IRS and so much more... I would recommend Patriot to every business owner I know

Cons

The only con to this software is not being able to split direct deposits for contractors. However, I was told they are working on that feature.

Becky M.
Industry: Construction

Quick set-up, easy to use, great customer svc

Reviewed on 2020/09/18

I'm very happy with Patriot Payroll. They take care of all payroll filings, and they have great customer service.

Pros

I love how easy it was to set up Patriot for our small business. I needed help with some things and I got prompt and excellent customer service -- even during COVID-19 madness! We are only using the payroll feature, but may explore the other accounting services soon.

Cons

We didn't set up the Quick-Books connection, so I have to manually enter the paychecks into QB each week. The instructions on how to do that with journal entry was informative and made that process easy, too.

Response from Patriot Software

Thanks for the fantastic review Becky. Please give our online Quickbooks integration try. It is even easier than you think. ;)

Bill C.
Industry: Insurance

Excellent switch

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

It was a great switch, I am very happy with the switch and have frequently told my previous provider when they have called to try and regain my business that I would never switch back.

Pros

It is very intuitive, it takes me less than 30 minutes to run payroll twice a month and I am saving over $150/month compared to a full service payroll provider that I previously used

Cons

Sometimes it is a little hard to find the specifics of how to make changes,

Marielys A.
Industry: Construction

Best Payroll Software ever!

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Excellent.

Pros

Easy to use.
More flexible price than Quickbooks.
Update the information quickly.

Cons

Sometimes it fails to integrate with quickbooks after it says it was done but I can make it anyway.

Stephanie M.
Industry: Food & Beverages

We love it

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

Easy to use and very self explanatory.

Pros

All I have to do is input my information and the software does the rest. We have never had an issue at all and if we did we could live chat or call. It is very easy to use and way better than other products we have used.

Cons

We haven't had any complaints. We love patriot software.

Mike W.
Industry: Performing Arts

Easy to use...

Reviewed on 2020/09/16

Customer service has been great. I've called at least 3 or 4 times and everyone I've spoken to had answers that made sense. I always felt like they understood my issue and I didn't have to wait for the person on the phone to ask 5 other "higher-ups" for an actual answer. After 2 cycles of payroll... everything has been great!

Pros

I love that the payroll process is so easy. Setup was simple with instructions that were very easy to follow. We've never used a system like this before, so it's been a great first experience.

Cons

The toughest part was getting all the banking approved, but that was mostly on the part of our bank and IRS. Otherwise, we haven't run into any problems.

Scott J.
Industry: Media Production

Motion Designer & President

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/09/15

Love saving money over my traditional CPA fees.

Pros

How fast I can do payroll, get my paystub, and cut myself a salary check.

Cons

Some confusion over how to set up all the needed categories for accounting. Was glad to have support available to help out. I made a mistake and had Patriot take out too much for taxes, because my previous CPA had already done the same. Was able to get the amount credited back in a few days.

Diana C.
Industry: Education Management

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/09/24

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business up and running. They have been a blessing to me, and to my staff who have not stopped working.

Had they not been there I probably would have closed since I find it very important for my payroll to be accurate. I can run payroll by hand in a pinch but I am not a bookkeeper so it's stressful and risky to do so. Especially with all of the changes with sick pay enacted. I would never have figured that out properly.

This company is top of the line. They have the olden days touch of personal help, (I miss that so it's refreshing), with modern technology to keep things up to date. They saved this company, and I'll stay with them for as long as I'm in business if they will keep me:-)

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two).

When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Timothy B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Kristen B.
Industry: Accounting

Patriot Software

Reviewed on 2019/11/18

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Tony B.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 2018/02/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Neal P.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Bang for your buck!

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly.

It's all I ever wanted.

Pros

1.) Its simple to use.
2.) Its cheap.
3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Response from Patriot Software

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!

Noreen E.
Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Customer Service and Features / Restrictions

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Payroll rules and tax reporting / payments are simplified in one place.

Pros

This software was very easy to use, and as my business grows I am finding the necessary features needed are available to me.
Whenever I have called customer service, I usually have gotten a person that is knowledgeable and is able to help me. There have been times that the person called has not been able to help me, and was able to escalate my issue to someone that could.

Cons

Changes to setting sometimes allow changes that are incomplete. In 2019, I added the accounting software to Patriot Payroll. I updated settings in "Payroll Integration Options" but missed some. I was able to save the partial data and run a payroll.
When reviewing the accounting journal entry that was generated from the first payroll with the accounting software, I saw the JE generated was incomplete. If I had not checked to verify this JE was correct, this would have been difficult to track down later.
This is a big miss, and there should be some warning or stop to prevent this (incomplete data) from happening.

Catherine M.

Highly Recommended

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Yearly audits ask for some obscure paperwork. Patriot always knows exactly where to find it. Every time. A different paperwork. They know their database very well.

Pros

This is so easy to use Patriot Payroll. I'm too busy doing my job and I am thrilled for a reasonable fee someone else will handle the quarterly state and federal forms and take taxes from the paycheck. Frankly, I don't even have to worry about any of it. They just do it. ANOTHER MOST (?) that I like is when I do have to call Patriot, EVERY time I've called, I have received friendly service AND HELPFUL advice. I NEVER have to be transferred. I always get my answer from a friendly person who answers the phone. This is THE easiest and most friendliest company to work with.

Cons

I can't think of a thing I do not like about this company.

Raymond N.
Industry: Law Practice

Perfect for a Small Business or Sole-Proprietor

Reviewed on 2020/04/11

Overall, Patriot has helped me get my payroll taxes under control. For years as a sole proprietor (I am self-incorporated with an S election) I was just paying in estimated taxes quarterly and thus my income was determined by my draws, in essence. Like many sole proprietors, I got behind on my estimates and ended up with big tax bills every year. This software enabled me to implement what my accountant had been begging me to do for years: put myself on a reasonable, regular, payroll, and stick to it. Because cash flow is never predictable in my work, I pay myself a weekly salary. The software does my withholdings, takes out the money for taxes, and then does an ACH direct payment to my personal account each week. It also calculates employer contributions for health insurance, HSA, and in my case, an SEP. It has brought much needed discipline in my personal finance and how I run my business with very little cost.

Pros

This product is easy to learn and use, and that is what I like most about this software. Second to that, I like the fact that it has made my own payroll (I pay myself a W2 salary out of gross company earnings) nearly mindless. The fact that my payroll taxes are computed accurately, withheld, paid on time, and that the forms are filed for me is priceless.

Cons

I think the payment of bonuses could be more obvious in how it is done, but I am stretching here. This product is nearly perfect.

Danielle A.
Industry: Education Management

The best decision!

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

Elizabeth D.
Industry: Law Practice

Great payroll software!

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

Pros

I was able to scale up my needs without changing platforms or disrutping my currrent processes. When I hired one employee I was comfortable doing my own tax filings and paying taxes myself--Payroll ran the calcuations for me and I did the rest. As I scaled up, it made more sense to let someone else do the filing and tax payments for me so I switched over to full service payroll. It was a seamless transition and has been easy to manage. I still have plenty of control but know that deadlines are met and payments are made. I also really like that I'm not paying for services I don't need or don't care about.

Cons

It is occasionally difficult to figure out how to run reports to get certain information. In time, I've learned my way around but it doesn't always feel intuitive. However, the customer service when I do get stuck has been great! It is usually a longish wait on the phone but they are efficient and very helpful once I do get in touch.

Geoffrey F.
Industry: Environmental Services

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

Reviewed on 2020/05/19

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Response from Patriot Software

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Susan B.
Industry: Financial Services

Great Product, Reasonable Price, Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

Awesome and easy. As far was we know, so far, there have been no errors whatsoever.

Pros

I don't need to know anything about payroll rules and regulations and yet I can "run payroll" in about 2 minutes. I needed to find a way to pay 2 people in our office and our local accounting service was going to charge an unreasonable amount in my opinion to assist our small business. Patriot Software offered an easy to use option. We also use the time card option which is also fabulous and easy.

Cons

Sometimes there is a delay in getting support but I think that's because they are busy and growing which is awesome for them. Getting things set up took a bit of time but the people at Patriot were helpful and patient through the process. I know nothing about how payroll works but their support people worked through it with me.

Lynne H.
Industry: Real Estate

Love Patriot

Reviewed on 2020/05/18

Overall, we are very pleased with Patriot Payroll. We moved from Quickbooks Payroll in 2018 and for the most part, it is great. Every now and then, we have something that comes up that is out of the ordinary, BUT Patriot is always able to work it out for us, other than the coding of taxes to more than one week.
The reports are very self explanatory and very useful.

Pros

We like the ease of use of Patriot. We are a very small office, with only 9 employees and our payroll is basically the same every week, with the exception of hours changing, We have 2 salary employees and everyone else is hourly.

Cons

We wish there a way to code a specific payroll for a person that is a large item, like a commission so that the software would tax it for more than one week. The commission may be for more than one week, so it would be great it there was a way to specify to tax it for say 4 weeks. When I used ADP at a previous employer, they had that option and it was great.

Christine W.
Industry: Accounting

Love this Software

Reviewed on 2020/01/29

Everything has been amazing. The customer service is awesome, the software is easy to use, and the price is just the best.

Pros

I love everything about this. 1) The ease, it is so easy to use 2) the customer service team is always so helpful and listens to suggestions and has implemented suggestions we have made 3) the Price, we came from Intuit and the price savings was crazy amazing 4) They process all payroll forms, Intuit would not process our local LST returns, but Patriot does, they do them all!

Cons

The few items I would like to see changed are mainly just with check printing. It would be nice to be able to print DD stubs with a layout that looks like a laser check so that they could be folded and put into double window envelopes like the checks are. The second thing would be to be able the change the stub options on checks. Currently, laser checks take up both stubs on a check to make one pay stub. It would be nice if you could have an option that it all fit on just one of the check stubs, and then repeats again on the second stub for the employer's copy.

Matthew V.
Industry: Consumer Services

Easiest and best service and value!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Patriot Software's customer service team has been friendly and helpful every time I have reached out. All of my questions have been answered quickly so I could get back to work.

Pros

I love Patriot Software Payroll's incredible ease of use. I used it for a year, then switched to Quickbooks Payroll because I thought it would be easier because we use QBO. I was wrong. Quickbooks Payroll was much harder to use. The primary reason is that you still have to do a great deal when using QBO Payroll. With Patriot Software, once it is set up, the do so much more FOR you as part of the service. This gives me peace of mind, because I don't worry about making a mistake or overlooking one of the many filings.

Cons

For Patriot Software's Payroll software, I have experienced no downsides.