Patriot Payroll Reviews

Patriot Payroll

4,8 (3 386)
Save your time & money with affordable, easy-to-use software

(3 386)

Ann
Ann

2-fold Patriot fan!

Reviewed on 2022/10/09

Doing payroll on my own was very tough and caused a hectic day every week.

Doing payroll on my own was very tough and caused a hectic day every week.

Pros

As a New Englander Patriots is my football team, so why not Patriots Software! The name was the draw, the customer service is the prize to keep me.

Cons

Add an emergency contacts tab to the Employee section.

SAP Business One and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Quickbooks was too robust and hard to use on my own. Patriot Software is much better.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Ease of use. Customer service. Bookkeeping help.
JULIA
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Above and beyond

Reviewed on 2024/03/26

Always a great experience. Patriot has never made a mistake and fixes mine quickly and easily. Has all the features of a great payroll service without the endless sales pitch, high prices, and untrue promises about great customer service.

Pros

Website is easy and clear to navigate. They are at the fraction of the price of the more well know payroll services. Their customer service is excellent and always available during business hours. Allow you to file on your own for less.

Cons

The direct deposit could be faster but not at all a game changer for us.

Doreen

No direct communications from the Tax Team results in delays

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

My client had an issue with the state quarterly forms. Although the SUTA taxes were remitted by Patriot , none of the quarterly returns were filed for the last 5 quarters. After sorting out an issue with the state exemption status, a request was made several times for Patriot to file the late returns. It's been 26 days and still no returns filed. You are not able to speak with the "tax team" or receive any communications from the tax department. All emails, chats and phone calls go thru a general support team. The latest email I received stated the filing of the forms are a "first come, first serve basis". Is Patriot not able to keep up with timely filings for all customers? The support ticket has been opened for over 26 days. I'm wondering if Patriot uses an outside service for tax filing?

Pros

Ease of use, simple interface, reports,

Cons

Tax filings, lack of email notifications

cheap.

Response from Patriot Software

Doreen, Patriot is 100% supported in-house in the USA. Our tax team is available by email or phone option 4. It looks like there was some back and forth about getting the settings and exemptions correct all the way up to last week. Our team is working on your request, we assure you. Please feel free to call and speak with our tax team at any time.

LaDonna

Great Company & Products

Reviewed on 2024/01/22

A GREAT EXPERIENCE! Easy, can process payroll from anywhere, customer service is top notch!

Pros

The ease of setting up a company and employees was great. It's very easy to process a payroll and if there are any issues, the customer service team is very responsive! The cost of using Patriot is way more affordable than the prior company we were using. Never have regretted the change!

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like other than having a quick way to send reports to CPA. Not an issue, just print reports.

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

The cost!!! The price of this software is so much more affordable than Quickbooks and these days, money is everything.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Affordability and ease. The customer service team was very helpful in answering all of my questions immediately and I didn't have to wait around for someone to get back to me.
Tobias
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Patriot Payroll Review

Reviewed on 2024/03/04

After years of use, we have no issues, and they provide good customer service based in the USA.

Pros

Patriot is easy to use and has good customer service.

Cons

Patriot doesn't have geolocation to workers to check in/out.

Alisha

They're the best!

Reviewed on 2024/03/27

Pros

I have tried other software and always come back to patriot software. I have absolutely no complaints. Their software is easy to use and their customer service couldn't be any better. I have never waited on hold with them and they always give me the answer simply.

Cons

I have no complaints with patriot software.

Von
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reduced Stress Payroll

Reviewed on 2024/03/27

So far, so good. The times I needed assistance, Patriot has been very responsive, thorough and patient. Patience is important.

Pros

Patriot will file and fund all tax entities in a timely manner. Plus do all of the payroll calculations. Our employees like the direct deposit. Decades ago, with another business, I had to do all payroll and tax filings manually. Having a service like this would have freed up hours upon hours of time.

Cons

Setting up the state accounts was a bit tricky, but that's not Patriot's fault.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Intuit seemed arrogant. They didn't show up to the scheduled meeting and didn't contact me again until three days after the missed meeting. That turned out to be a blessing and I found Patriot in the gap time.
Greg

Laboratory Director

Reviewed on 2024/03/04

Easy to use. Customer support was always there when needed which was seldom.

Easy to use. Customer support was always there when needed which was seldom.

Pros

It's so easy to use once you get it figured out...which only took about 15 minutes.

Cons

In our case there weren't any dislikes of the software.

Mya
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I’ve been very pleased!

Reviewed on 2024/03/26

I’ve been pleased and the customer service of there have been issues or questions has been over the top helpful. Every time I’ve had to call it’s been prompt service and super helpful.

Pros

The easy of use and the fast and knowledgeable customer service.

Cons

Getting use to a new software. However it’s been great and super easy to figure out.

Brenda
  • Industry: Automotive

Best Payroll Program for Small Business

Reviewed on 2024/04/01

Pros

Easy access......easy setup.......easy processing!!!

Cons

So far, nothing. It's a great software program that is easy to navigate

BENJAMIN

Game Changer For Us

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Cost. Plus ADP only pays for 1 year. Then you make nothing from them

RUN Powered by ADP

White labeling Cost The staff
Peggy
  • Industry: Accounting

Why didn't I try this software sooner

Reviewed on 2022/08/02

I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. Great support that is US based and I'm treated very professionally.

Pros

I had heard it was complicated to set up, but once I had everything in I realized that was a good thing. Payroll has gotten so much more complicated over the years, to have all the small parts done right was a work saver. I wasn't having to create multiple work-arounds and spend extra time double checking. The non-accountant business owner, should consider hiring someone for a short time, get it set up right, then sit back and let the program do it magic.

Cons

Because I prepare the payroll tax filings outside of Patriot I wish there was a simple report that listed the employee name, hours, gross, and full listing of SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Currently I have to dig through the employees' records and manually write down the SS#. I know a lot of this is ID thief protection. But I have an IRS Tax Preparer Certification and they required me to be finger printed and back ground checked.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I was tired of being treated like a child. I do several Washington State payroll filings and like lots of other states they have quirky rules. I was having to amended too many of their filings. I was tired of cursing at the computer screen. I didn't like the data mining and the slow loading while they got all their mining software in place. On an annual basis I was paying more for junk than I was paying for my Wolter Kluwer/CCH Small Firm Services tax preparation software.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Once I tired it I was super excited about all that it did. The support was very available and both talked me through an issue and provided me with written instructions via email.
Shana

Patriot Software is the way to go!

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

My experience has been wonderful overall with Patriot Payroll. I am able to process my payroll easily and efficiently. I haven't needed external assistance because the system is so user-friendly that I am able to handle all of my needs on my own.

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is very easy to use! It is very simple to make any adjustments to the employee files and also to print off any necessary reports. I can always find what I am looking for!

Cons

The only feature that I find frustrating, is when I am inputting the information for payroll and then I need to back out of the screen to update an employee file for whatever reason and all of my information that I have entered has to be deleted. It would be better if the information was able to be saved and then edited later, if needed. It is frustrating when you need to make one small change to one employee file and therefore you lose ALL of the input you put in for the other employees and have to re-enter all of the information.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Paychex was too expensive and was not very user friendly.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll appeared more simple and more appropriate for my business needs.
Beth
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The best value in payroll services

Reviewed on 2023/09/21

I have used Patriot in different settings for over 5 years, and have had no issues. They are the best bang for the buck in payroll processing, and while other companies are outsourcing their customer service (making it essentially worthless), Patriot keeps it US-based, which makes getting help a breeze.

Pros

The best things about Patriot are (1) the customer service - always pleasant and get our answers easily, (2) the price - it really can't be beat for full service payroll, and (3) ease of use - their web portal is very easy to use and navigate.

Cons

I do wish there was an actual app for mobile phones to more easily run payroll that way. Going through a browser on a phone can sometimes be clunky. I would like to see more options for customizable payroll reports.

Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Better price, better functionality.

OnPay

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Better pricing, didn't have a bunch of features we don't need.
John
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Patriot Payroll Rocks!

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Saving time and eliminating the risk and liability of missing deadlines for filing are the biggest problems I'm solving. I spend 10 minutes max every two weeks on payroll.

Pros

Having tried filing payrolls documents myself, I found it to be a nightmare of paperwork, made that much more difficult by the State of Maryland, who seems to thrive on making things complicated. Enter Patriot Payroll to the rescue! They make payroll easy and even stay on top of the ever changing requirements doled out by the State. A huge timesaver!

Cons

As a sole proprietorship, I don't have a lot of super complicated payroll tasks, so I likely don't take advantage of the many features. I can't think of anything that I'm lacking as it takes care of 401k, taxes, and all of the straightforward payroll items I need.

QuickBooks Payroll and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Wave wouldn't file in my state, making Patriot the clear winner.

Wave
Oscar

Price vs Value

Reviewed on 2021/01/15

I like it over all, my only one concern for the size of clients I have is the 4 days direct deposit, I don't like neither my clients the other option of add funds to Patriot to have next day direct deposit.

Pros

The software covers most of the frequently payroll needs.
The price is according for what you get.
Customer service is quick response, helpful and kind.
Easy to navigate between companies.
Easy to set up, the steps guide you very well to avoid any error.
Contains value information of how to get tax account from other states.
The blog contains value HR information.

Cons

The 4 days direct deposit.
It does not notify that the date to run is coming up.
Prefund next day payment.

OnPay, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

It more expensive for the basic runs I do every week.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price, recommendations and is perfecto for the size of my cleints.
Terri
  • Industry: Accounting

Excellent software for payroll services

Reviewed on 2023/01/14

Customer service is helpful and has been great! Love not having to process all Q and YE reports and W-2s. The W-2s are ready right away which our clients love!

Pros

Very easy and user friendly. Love not having to process all Q and YE reports and W-2s. The W-2s are ready right away which our clients love!

Cons

That it does not integrate with QB so we manually need to do JE. The time tracking is cumbersome with accruals for time off.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Ease of filing Q and YE and W-2s. Has employee portals and employer portals for access.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Cost
James
  • Industry: Accounting

Best support you could ask for

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

I am so pleased with Patriot. I am very happy that I moved my practice from SAGE to Patriot and I try to tell anyone who will listen that Patriot is a superb product

Pros

The software is very user friendly. but in the even that there is an issue, I have reached out to customer support and received EXCELLENT support anytime it is needed

Cons

There are a few quirks that you have to learn but nothing major. And the setup process can be a little stressful at times

Gusto and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Sage was extremely too glitchy....I need a program that will work on time, every time. Sage is a very undependable program

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Pricing was a large part of it as I have several clients and hope to grow everyday. But in the end, the support and assistance that was provided by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great. Dealing with these two guys lets me know that I am in good hands and if I have any kind of issue, I reach out to them, and they will take care of me. That kind of support is priceless.
Lou
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Efficiency and Satisfaction

Reviewed on 2023/09/23

As a newcomer to payroll management, I found Patriot Payroll’s user-friendly approach to be the guiding light that helped my company thrive. Its simplicity and effectiveness have been instrumental in our success, turning me from a novice into a confident user. Patriot Payroll has truly been a valuable partner in our growth story.

Pros

At our company, Patriot Payroll has been a game-changer. It’s incredibly user-friendly and makes payroll, taxes, and W-2s a breeze. The reporting is spot-on, and our employees love the self-service portal. It’s a must-have for streamlined payroll management

Cons

While I’ve had a very positive experience overall, it’s always possible for any software to continue improving. Perhaps exploring further integration options with other tools or enhancing reporting features could be areas to consider for future enhancements. However, I want to emphasize that these are minor suggestions in an otherwise excellent software solution.

Gusto, Square Payments and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

I chose Patriot Payroll over other alternatives because, during my search, it quickly stood out as an option that was easy to understand and follow. Its straightforward approach, user-friendly interface, and clear-cut features made it the obvious choice for simplifying our payroll management needs.
Steve
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment
  • Used for 2+ years

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are multi million dollar companies. As a small business owner, the bottom line is very thin and we always have to be aware in the cost for any service. When I started Patriot Payroll, I was eager to see if they in fact were a true value company, and in the first 6 months, it paid for itself. I am super happy as a customer.

For one low price, they help you set-up your employee base, salaries or hourly wages, tax numbers, unemployment taxes and more. When you run a payroll, it really only takes me 3 minutes to complete one. Then when the taxes are paid, Patriot also does that and more. They process and send out my quarterly papers and pay all my taxes after linking to my bank. If you need any reports, they are at your fingertips. No longer paying another company extra when you need to get a duplicate employee payroll report. If your stuck and have no where to go, you call their customer service line or email them and within minutes you have your answer.

I have referred many people to this company and for good reason. They are great! The name says it all. Patriot.

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Bruce
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Payroll done easy.

Reviewed on 2021/11/01

The problem I am solving was my old CPA who did my payroll, wasn't always doing it right or sending in reports done right or ontime. I didn't know anything about it. He sent me the amount each week to pay and I just wrote the check. Finally got audited ( just the payroll ) and he was of no help. So I decided to do it myself. That was a nightmare. The IRS was no help, anything they had to teach you how to do payroll, assumed you already knew how and just showed you how to fill out the forms, but you had to know which form. I stumbled upon Patriot, signed up and it has been pretty smooth sailing for years.

Pros

I went from paying my CPA to do my payroll and found out years into it, he wasn't always correct. I knew nothing about it, nor what he was doing wrong, nor how to fix it. And I don't think he did either. It was a huge pain in the .... A friend who is a big time corporate CPA, who says I'm too small for his company, told me about online payrolls, mentioned a name or two, so I investigated. Patriot was not one of the ones he mentioned. I don't remember where I first heard about them, but immediately liked them because they have different levels of how much service they provided. I wasn't looking for someone to do everything, I still wanted to be in the loop of knowing what is being done and when. They offer several plans and the one I use is perfect.

Cons

Nothing really. But I have never done payroll before using Patriot, nor have I ever used another software, so I don't have any experience to compare it to. But I have done my payroll to the satisfaction of the governments and would not have been able to with out Patriot. And whenever something came up that I didn't know, they were there to explain/guide me through it.

Tony
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 2018/02/16

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Patriot Software

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Vanessa
  • Industry: Accounting

Words from a professional user

Reviewed on 2021/06/08

My overall experience with Patriot software has been great.

My overall experience with Patriot software has been great.

Pros

When I joined Patriot as an affinity partner, the software discounts were too good to ignore, especially from a company who offered equal functionality as other top providers in the market. My favorite feature about Patriot Software is the 100% automated payroll tax filing and payments. Other software companies that I have used claimed full automation, but there would inevitably end up being at least one or two tasks that had to be completed manually, which was frustrating. Patriot lived up to and continues to satisfy its promise.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Patriot software is that credit card accounts have to be set up as negative asset accounts versus liabilities, as Patriot (at least at the time of my first company's onboarding) did not accommodate positive liabilities.

Scott

Payroll is best

Reviewed on 2021/01/08

Just finished our first year and have been really happy we made the change. Growing this portion of our business and we feel like we have a strong ally working with us.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Customer service has been outstanding, we can get quick response to questions.

Cons

Some of the reports are a bit lacking. Minnesota need to file new hire reports, would be great if we could generate direct. Correcting or changing payroll in process need to cancel out, wish option was available to dial into tax to make changes.

Pricing and customer service

Paul

Saves so much time and has proved critical in 2020.

Reviewed on 2021/01/13

The software itself has worked flawlessly from my perspective. It's been nice saving a lot of time since we started using it at the start of 2020. The direct deposit feature is something we didn't have before, and that's been really nice.

Pros

We love being able to use direct deposit for our employees. Saves me time writing checks, and employees like it better. In 2020, it was so helpful having things automated for purposes of PPP loan forgiveness. It probably saved me 5-10 hours of work that would have had to be done otherwise. Also, the ease of generating W2s for 2020 was a great help. I no longer need to spend money on W2 forms and software every January. It is well worth the monthly fees, in my opinion.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I guess the only con would be having to pay for it monthly, but it is well worth the fees, and really I feel like it's a good value. I guess the only thing I would like to see is an easy way to show how many employees we had at any given pay period (for filing the 940 forms quarterly). I haven't seen how to do that in the reports section, so I just have to manually check the books and see how many checks I wrote for employees on any given pay period.