QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Leilani
Leilani

Quickbooks Review

Reviewed on 2022/02/08

I love using Quickbooks and will continue to utilize its software.

I love using Quickbooks and will continue to utilize its software.

Pros

what i liked most about Quickbooks is that i can easily track and organize transactions, manage and organize expenses from anywhere, quickly reconcile your accounts and gain control of your cash flow.

Cons

Theres nothing i disliked about the software.

Anne
  • Industry: Automotive

#CJM

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

Pros

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

Cons

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

It was simpler to switch to given we mainly use quickbooks for our accounting purposes.
Kimberly

Quickbooks Payroll don't be fooled

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

If you have a simple payroll this is not a terrible product. If you have employees in multiple states, I would not recommend.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks online was a key factor. It is also very easy to use once the setup is complete.

Cons

The customer service is non-existent. I have a client that uses the full service payroll, and if there is an error where Quickbooks is at fault, it is impossible to ever get them to pay for the error, they will admit the responsibility, but they will not pay for the responsibility. The customer service is tiered so you never speak to a decision maker even when the error is a significant dollar amount. I had this issue in two cases. 1. Quickbooks processed a duplicate payroll costing my client $15,000+ and despite full documentation that they were responsible, they would not pay for the error. 2. I set up a new client on full service payroll with employees in the state of Nevada. QB did not support filing one of the taxes required for the state. They did not disclose this and admitted that they did not disclose at the beginning nor did they prompt the client to file the return when it came due. Quickbooks did take responsibility for the error by admitting it, but they would not take responsibility for the taxes and penalties.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Price and integration with accounting software.
VICTORIA
  • Industry: Consumer Services

This is a really great software

Reviewed on 2023/11/20

I really enjoy using this software. It makes my job as a business owner so much easier and that really matters to me.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and implement with the buisness aspects i am in need of its super easy to keep track of my costs, my working hours, my supplies, and my tax information. It even has a tax calculator thats really accurate for estimated tax payments.

Cons

I do not think its priced very well o believe it should definitely not cost as much as it currently does.

Samantha
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Overall A Good Payroll Software for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2022/11/16

Pros

Very easy to use for both the employer and employees. You can add different admin users along with changing access, if some admins don't need access to everything. It is very user friendly and walks you through step by step on each and every part of the payroll process. This is the first software I ever used when starting in the payroll department, and had 0% training on it. I was able to navigate my way through it with no help.

Cons

The direct deposit limit is what made me change payroll software. I could not pay all of my employees via direct deposit because of the limit they had on our account.

Gusto, Patriot Payroll, ADP Workforce Now and Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

The pricing and overall amount of features that you get for the money was amazing.
Kathy

QuickBooks review

Reviewed on 2020/01/28

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

Salvador
  • Industry: Events Services

Simple solution to running payroll via mobile device

Reviewed on 2020/04/01

My overall experience with both the software and support have been nothing but the best. I think the best feature of Quickbooks Payroll is the service you receive when talking with a solutions agent.

Pros

I enjoy the use of the mobile app to easily review payroll and pay my employees in a timely manner. I also enjoy the functionality of time sheets compatibility to payroll.

Cons

There is nothing. The call back with support is amazing and is withing a reasonable time period to reach back out when I needed the service.

QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Ease of use.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I choose this because it easily migrated with our accounting software and decreased the payments to my bookkeeper.
Kenneth
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Quick books have room for improvement like any other software but it is the best for a small...

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

In the beginning contacting support was an issue but truthfully everything has been great.

Pros

I Love how I can save time creating and sending invoices from the QuickBooks browser version and mobile app. This is a big deal for me.

Cons

The mobile app could be upgraded. Sometimes it hangs up.

Debbie

Best in house payroll software EVER!

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

Love Love Love it! I recommend all small businesses use this program. It will also file you taxes for you.

Pros

I love the reminders QB payroll gives me. I get busy and I have different employees on different pay schedules and QB reminds me to pay on time. The amount of lines I can use for commission, Mileage, Bonuses etc... it what makes this such a great program

Cons

It does not track commission to a specific job via the payroll check. Other than that it's awesome.

Judi
Judi

Very expensive!

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

Customer service is lacking. I'm usually on the phone for at least an hour with a representative trying to fix an issue.

Pros

QB Payroll is fairly easy to use to run payroll and set up employees

Cons

Almost impossible to correct a payroll or run an off-cycle payroll.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Judi. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your feedback doesn't go unheard. We want to make sure you can access support when you need it. You'll find all the options to reach us online at (https://tinyurl.com/4a62hkmy) We wish you continued success. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Kim

QuickBooks Payroll

Reviewed on 2023/08/18

Does not satisfy our business needs however, at this time we have to use it to perform payroll, once we find a suitable product we will be cancelling our Quickbooks Payroll.

Pros

Direct deposit was easily setup. Adding a new employee was also easy to set up.

Cons

Hard to find things needed pertaining to payroll, when completing payroll it does not give an overview of what was inputted until after you submit it with out going back to completed screens.

Peggy

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros

pretty easy to use
set up easily
integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons

Biggest issues are:
-Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors.
- Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue.
- Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees.
Who focuses on contractor payments?
- RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

Agnieszka
  • Industry: Insurance

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Reviewed on 2020/02/28

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

Pros

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

Cons

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided.
1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we do not use the online version of the software. This needs to be attended to. No one wants to be on hold for 45 minutes to be able to talk to a representative.
2 - the IIF file import form Intuit Full Service payroll to desktop Quickbooks has a flaw. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I spent hours the other day talking to Quickbooks desktop people and although they found a fix, it was just one-time fix. Please, refer to the service ticket [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I were working on for details. This also requires immediate attention.

Paul

Affordable, full service payroll

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

Pros

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Laura
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Quickbooks Payroll Update removes customization abilities

Reviewed on 2021/08/05

Over the last 4 years of I have enjoyed the way Quickbooks works with my bank transactions and credit card transactions. I like the variety of reports that can be created and the ease with which bank accounts can be reconciled but the latest updates to payroll have made it impossible to make customizations and has made Quickbooks boss of my payroll. I should not have to have permission from my software provided to make changes to my company's business.

Pros

I have enjoyed the simplicity of using Quickbooks payroll for the last 4 years but the most recent update has made it much more difficult to use. I can no longer make any customizations on my own. I can not exempt employees from taxes we as a church are exempt from paying. I have to call customer service to have all customizations made by them.

Cons

No ability to customize payroll exemptions and no ability to override reminder notices. Our accountant files all of our payroll reports but Quickbooks does not allow to make the tasks as completed if you have not completed the task with their system. I have to call and ask them to archive (even they can not mark them complete) the reminders to remove them from my Home Screen. I am not hiring Quickbooks to be my accountant but to be my software provider and I resent them placing requirements on my use of the system.

john
  • Industry: Accounting

Full service is great choice for small S-Corps

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

I am a cash flow designer for small businesses. I put structures in place to get them moving their money around their small business for useful reporting and cash flow predictability. Often they are transitioning to S-Corp status and needing to level up their approach to Payroll. I like Quickbooks full service payroll for this.

Pros

Weekly Payroll at no extra cost, which is great for my clients who are primarily small S-Corps not used to running payroll; I have to get that money into their account so they don't mix up their funds and spend out of their business accounts on their personal life. I also like how when there are issues, they walk me through how to fix them in the interface really well. As a non-expert on payroll, using it for only a few clients, this has been really excellent.

Cons

I wish it was easier to change bank accounts for the draw. Over time I move clients from single checking accounts to split accounts with operations expenses separated in certain ways; at some interval I tend to want to move the payroll draw to a new bank account. This is hard, in part because the settings inside payroll are housed in a weird interface that locks up in weird ways if you login from various accounts at the same time. Feels like old old old software suddenly, not modern Intuit stuff.

Brianna

A God-send for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

I would recommend Quickbooks Payroll to new businesses that are looking for an easy way to stay organized and pay bills on time.

Pros

As a cost-plus general contractor, we highly utilize the ERP Integrations System from Procore to create vendors in Quickbooks. Within those vendors, it is easy to enter and pay bills to subcontractors. Creating customer jobs allows us to use job-cost codes to bill our clients. The reconciliation tool helps us double check that our charges match up what is on our monthly statement. Also, the ability to print checks through Quickbooks is useful and looks professional. Probably the most useful tool in Quickbooks is the Profit & Loss tool that allows you to break out individual G/L accounts and easily see your gross income and profit. If our company did not have Quickbooks, we would be so unorganized. Quickbooks is a fantastic software that keeps our expenses, payroll, and vendors organized and stored all in one helpful place.

Cons

The reconciliation tool for credit card charges can be challenging to use and takes additional introduction and training from an accountant to ensure it is being done correctly.

Jeni

From Desktop program to Online program

Reviewed on 2020/05/11

Fast, prompt and knowledgeable assistance. As a new user to the online platform I am a bit of a chore to help, however I have received fantastic service including explanations so guide to me should the issue return. It is comforting that I can expect a prompt response when I reach out for help as I am uncomfortable with any facet of the company bookkeeping in limbo for any length of time.

Pros

Automatic features such as tax calculations and submit, ease of importing bank feeds.

Cons

Templates limited in customization. Possibly because we are a construction office and our invoicing is a bit particular. Also, I have customized and saved a report similar to the 'print check stub' feature in the desktop version, small learning curve there and wouldn't mind seeing that report option.

MICHAEL
  • Industry: Accounting

Possible issue with using existing payroll subscription to add a client EIN# with the 2020 QB...

Reviewed on 2019/11/24

Until I started using 2020 program it has been good.

Until I started using 2020 program it has been good.

Pros

Tracking income and expenses and simplicity.

Cons

Their sunset policies in general. It appears that with the new 2020 program the option to add a client company to my accountant payroll subscription is not available. I've spent 1.5hr trying to find anything in the web site to indicate this change but there nothing. This company is using deceptive information to add a company, but it only states for 2017, 2018 & 2019. So by not stating 2020 they feel you should infer that it is no longer available. If this is true, then because of this companies sunset policies I will will not be able to provide this service to my clients. Why don't the simply state "This service is no longer available". I will call on the next business day to confirm this poor policy change!

Julie
  • Industry: Medical Practice

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/03/10

Pros

Customizable for my business, I like that some items are automatic.

Cons

I wish I could make 401k contributions and dhhr payments through quickbooks so that it was done automatically with payroll. I can make deductions but would love for them to be sent.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I like being in control of payroll
Anne
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Good for both experienced and inexperienced payroll processors

Reviewed on 2022/02/11

Pros

Easily able to modify paychecks before/during processing.

Cons

QB Payroll will not process local taxes, so it can't be considered a full service payroll solution like ADP or others. Unable to calculate WC liability unless using QB WC

RUN Powered by ADP
Virginia
  • Industry: Hospitality

Hard to learn, VERY Expensive and just found out that they didn't file one of my quarterly...

Reviewed on 2018/10/29

I've been a QB desktop user for 16 years. Love it. So when I found that QB handled quarterly payroll payments and W-2 and 1099 distrubution, I decided to try it. They offered an introductory rate that seemed it would be much more cost effective rather than using my accountant to handle. Well, after 6 months the costs skyrocketed. And I found transitioning to their online service to be much harder to learn and the payroll service was so much more work! So after that lovely introductory fee I was paying triple what I would pay my accountant and I could not get used to the online QB accounting service ( which you have to
purchase to get the payroll service). in March of 2018 I found an alternative and canceled my service. I just received a notice from IRS saying that I didn't submit 4th Q 941. It's October, almost a year out. The money is there, the form is not. So I go online to try and access my archived files and QB would not let. Even an accountant would provide a document that I paid for them to create. So now I'm going to be paying a heavy penalty even to re-do and submit. I called QB and was on the phone for an hour trying to convince them that I paid for that document and they should, minimum, allow me to have a copy. My good opinion of QB overall has deteriorated greatly.

Pros

invoicing was pretty easy. I'm trying to think of something else. Maybe their online payments, that was nice.

Cons

extremely time-consuming, costly and difficult to use especially compared to other products out there.

Laura
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Fast, Easy and Simple.

Reviewed on 2022/10/31

When working with Quickbooks Payroll, it is easy and very straightforward, when it comes to pay roll all you need to do is add your employee's hours and that is it, I had a very tough time with my last payroll company and the set up with Quickbooks was simple and hassle free. Not only that it does not take up much of my time, like as in it is not an all day activity

Pros

The easiest and best thing about Quickbooks Payroll is that when you need to add a new employee, they make it very easy for you and all you need is their information, another Pro with QuickBooks Payroll is that everything is easy and you cannot go wrong because it is so simple.

Cons

A con would be that since everything is so simple people can often mistake it for something else, and mess up, like when you are tyring to take away a employee off of payroll it can get confusing at times.

Rae

QuickBooks Full Service Payroll Rocks

Reviewed on 2020/02/18

QuickBooks Full Service Payroll has saved me a great deal of time and has assured the accuracy of my Payroll Work. Time saved is money earned and accuracy results in client satisfaction.

Pros

Full Service Payroll is easy to use and it is priced competitively. I like the fact that there are informed Tech Support individuals available when I need a question answered or need help. Today, #CJM was able to help me by quickly adding a payroll item so I could complete my QBO payroll processing in short order. I also like the fact that I do not have to worry about the calculation of or the timing of payroll deposits.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments about Full Service Payroll.

Lori

Great potential!

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

When it's all working, it's great!

When it's all working, it's great!

Pros

I use the Enhanced Payroll and it works really good. Keeps track of your payroll liabilities, and allows you to pay them online through Quick Books, which is great when it works.

Cons

We switched bank accounts, and it was a nightmare trying to switch all of the payroll direct deposit stuff over. In addition, someone in the office picked up the wrong state for withholding and unemployment and we still have't been able to get rid of it. Just like with Quick Books, if you have a problem and call customer service, plan on several hours with them. They are not quick and often transfer you around before you can finally find someone who can help.