SugarSync

Cloud file sharing, sync and backup from any device

SugarSync offers the folder specific syncing that very few others do.

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

Pretty much what it claims to do is what I like best about it. It's like being asked "What do you like best about a back scratcher?" It scratches my back! This software syncs my files and it does do allowing me to select the folders I want, which allows me to keep my computers set up in the folder structure that I want. (Most others, like Dropbox, which I also like and use, but for different reasons , make you use their folder.)

Cons

Once in a while there is a hiccup and the sync stops working properly for a certain folder. That can be a little nerve wracking to fix, but for the most part, it's a time saver. I also don't like that they went from freemium to pay only at one point; it's not that it wasn't worth it, but it always feels a little sneaky when you become reliant on something and then you're almost "forced" to keep going with it.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Love it but have to troubleshoot regularly

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Really love that I don't have to check files in/out when I work on them. If another user is editing a document in parallel, the SugarSync system saves both versions. Wish it were more reliable.

Pros

Platform is ideal for a small business with a handful of remote users. Files are synced in the cloud and duplicated on a user's hard drive.

Cons

Occasionally it just stops syncing files. Usually I discover this when I'm in the middle of collaborating with a team member or working on a critical document. It is frustrating to have to reboot or refresh which usually fixes the problem but not always.

Martha V.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Sugar Sync user

Reviewed on 2020/09/06

Generally was exactly what I required with a good result

Pros

I found SugarSync user friendly and well suited for the purpose I required, which was to be able to access parts of our server remotely including without internet access.

Cons

Sometimes there was a double save of documents which was confusing. In these cases we would need to work out which was the latest document and delete the oversave.

Samantha C.

Love sugarsync for 2 way syncing of files

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Love its usability and how it backs up all my files!

Pros

I have been using sugarsync for over 5 years and I absolutely love it! My files are backup automatically to the cloud and I can select which folders are backed up automatically and can even change this on multiple devices. I backup my cellphone, laptop and tablet with it and have never lost anything!

Blaine M.
  • Industry: Farming

Very nice file sync program.

Reviewed on 2018/09/02

Overall we are very happy with sugarsync.

Pros

What i think sets SugarSync apart from other file sync programs is that you can chose to sync any file or folder on your computer. You don't have to change your file structure or drop files in a certain spot to sync.

Cons

I would like the ability to access and restore files of other users in our company account. It would help with support of some users.

Stephan K.

Runs great, could use a few more features

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

It is a great product, support does a lowsy job.

Pros

I can keep my own folder structure. I share folders with my family and they also can keep their structure.
All is synchronized. We use Notebooks, so a normal server would not work when we are traveling.

Cons

No option to syncronisze network drives (NAS etc)
Iphone App picture sync totally buggy and unreliable.

Dan N.
  • Industry: Law Practice

A Hidden Gem

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

Pros

I really like how I can right click a file a create a public link. Other software requires to go into the website a get a link, which is many more steps. I also really like the versioning

Cons

I wish it had more integrations to other software.

Sanel P.

SugarSync - A Very Useful Cloud Service

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

Better for personal use than business usage.

Pros

Very easy to use. Great desktop and mobile environments. Able to share files easily.

Cons

Pricey for a lack of advanced collaboration features.

Yvonne T.

SugarSync

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Great way to securely share files with coworkers or clients.

Pros

It is easy to share and access files securely.

Cons

It isn't supported for use with a server.

Marisa E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Not great for teams

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

We were trying to use it to share files among our remote team but it created way more headache than anything else. It was also a pain to get our accounts cancelled.

We moved to G-Suite and have never been happier.

Pros

The fact that there was a backup online as well as on your machine was nice. Being able to share folders theoretically seems great.

Cons

The fact that we couldn't have a team based folder. Maybe it was just based on how we used the product but for us, my boss had access to the main folder and he had to share permission with people to get access to it. But he wasn't always available so we'd have to download the file and send it to the person who needed it.

Over time, this became really hard to manage as well as a version control issue. Plus having all of the files on every single person's computer was causing a space issue too.

Jason B.

Solid product that got the job done

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Pros

I liked the ease of setting up everything. The online tutorial I found was super helpful and had everything done pretty quickly.

Cons

Ultimately, it didn't play nice with some of the other programs we were using. We found another solution that integrates well, but I would still recommend it if someone asked.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great back up software.

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

Ran seamless in the background and made it easy to store all files and data in the cloud. Great interface.

Cons

I eventually switched to just using google drive which is a lot more affordable and it works better with other software I use.

Scott F.

SugarSync has by-far been the most reliable file-sync program I have used to date.

Reviewed on 2018/05/05

SugarSync allows me to easily syncronize files between all of my computers without having to move them from their original locations into a central folder.

Pros

The biggest feature of this program, and the one I admire the most, is the ability to sync files and folders anywhere on the computer without having to move them to a specific folder. All the other systems require you to move your data into a specific folder they create, but SugarSync allows you to right click on any file/folder on your computer (including network drives and external drives) and choose to sync the right where they stand. I also like their new backup copy feature that maintains an extra copy of whatever folders you want for safety and versioning changes.

Cons

The price is the worst part of this program - it is far more expensive than any other program like it that I have ever used, and each year I am forced to think hard on whether or not I want to renew them or not. They are at least 5 times more expensive than their closest competitor, and the only justification is syncing files/folder where they sit.

Amanda D.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Decent resource for multiple users

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Pros

My group has been using this as a repository for file sharing for many years. The app allows us to easily access files on the go. Files and folders can be renamed with ease.

Cons

When a new file is uploaded the date does not change to the most recent date. Moving files is a bit cumbersome as there is no ability to drag and drop to move files among folders.

Camila A.

It seems to me an extremely useful tool!

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

I have been using this tool very recently because I met it a short time ago, however, it seems too useful! You can synchronize the files to the cloud without having to have them in a very specific folder, you can also do it from wherever and whenever!

Cons

One of the few things that plays this great tool is its price, I think it is a bit high, however, if you are a person who wants everything to be in the cloud for more protection, in the end you will end up looking for the best quality and ease.

Sandra M.

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

Excellent for easy access to saving files.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

I enjoy that you can save different files such as music you may have download as well as pictures. You can reach your files from your phone or computer.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I dislike with this software besides that it does cost money to use. However, it's pretty cheap.

This Software Has Stopped Working with the Latest MacOS

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

It had served me well for a long time, although things always seemed a little on the verge of breaking down. Usually it didn't. Now it doesn't work at all. The customer support team are trying and are nice, but they are just being fed lines from their developers and can't offer any information about when an update will be available. What they are relaying indicates that the problem was on the verge of being fixed, but that line has continued to be served up.

Pros

I liked that you can select the folders that you want to sync, back when the software used to work. It used to be a decent product and serve a role in the syncing world that other software didn't.

Cons

It occasionally would get buggy and there would be a need a few times a year to get on the phone with customer service and resolve new issues. But most of all, it is completely useless to me now because it no longer works with the latest MacOS. Mac pushes their users to update frequently to the latest, safest OS. There is no way anyone should not upgrade because they want to keep using SugarSync.

• Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

SugarSync Review

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

Pros

Our team loves the flexibility that SugarSync gives us to quickly and easily share documents with each other.

Cons

Occasionally, we run into syncing issues, even when all of us have the desktop app open and the SugarSync icon is green.

Jeremy A.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Was perfect, now not functioning well

Reviewed on 2018/04/05

Pros

Can sync any folder, customizable by device. The ability to sync multiple devices across platforms is great, including mobile for true access anywhere. Copy public link is a great, easy way to send a file to someone.

Cons

Lately, the desktop app hogs tons of resources and seems like it's constantly using 30 or more % processor. While it wasn't always this way, it's not completely reliable in terms of keeping files synced- I've had issues with file versions getting mixed up after thinking/expecting they were in sync. This requires a app exit and restart to re-trigger the syncing process.

Andrew R.

Perfect cloud based storage application for home users. Uploading by email is a nice feature

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

The ability to backup literally anything is nice. You can upload files by email directly to your cloud storage with no file size limit. Setting permissions on the files is easy to do, and they give you a good amount of storage to start with.

Cons

Used to be a free service, now you have to pay for your storage. Cost is relatively cheap, but I lost access to files when I decided not to pay my subscription. Be sure to always have a local backup copy of your data!

SugarSync doesn't offer anything unique to justify the cost of the service.

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

Pros

SugarSync is a cloud backup solution that allows you to backup your data to the cloud. It works almost intuitively, allowing you to select what folders and files you want to sync, and instead of creating duplicates on your system and hogging space like Dropbox and other options do, SugarSync allows you to sync items in place, without creating a SugarSync directory on your computer with copied versions of all the files.

Cons

Unfortunately, SugarSync did not work with MyCloud, which meant it wasn't the app for me. It's also insanely expensive. I can get 1-2TB of storage from other places at a lesser price than a month, that do the same exact thing. In my opinion, SugarSync doesn't offer anything truly unique or life-changing that can justify the cost of the service, especially as after awhile, it started running up the CPU and taking more and more resources from other programs.

Ken W.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Excellent option to keep your files sync'd across different platforms.

Reviewed on 2018/05/05

Pros

This software works to synchronize files across several platforms, such as android, windows, IOS or Mac.

Cons

Costs - there are other programs available although they don't work quite as well, in doing virtually the same thing.

Carlos R.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Use SugarSync for a year only because the sync client not work anymore in my PC.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

Make posible sync in easy form different files and folders in identical form that these seen in your PC, permit sync in multiples plataform (desktop, cloud, smartphone)

Cons

In my opinion, pay all month for this services is too expensive. Exist many other software that offer better conditions an are free.

David H.

Sugarsync is an easy to use backup solution.

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Pros

The thing I like most about the software is how easy it was to configure everything. I was up an running in no time at all.

Cons

The thing I least liked about the software was the cost and functionality. I had better results using other free alternative cloud base backup software