Digital Wrench

Auto repair shop management software

Justin M.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Perfect for small shop

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

I like the ease of adding customers and creating work orders. I also like the inventory management system. Although I don't use that particular function as much as others might, it has been helpful in tracking inventory item prices from vendors over time. This has allowed me to search for different vendors and reduce costs in several different areas. I have also been able to reduce the parts and supply inventory that I have on hand and stock the most appropriate supplies for my shop. Overall, my experience with Digital Wrench has been wonderful, and despite efforts from others in my organization (individuals not associated with my shop, just in other areas in the organization) to have me switch to different products (and I tried those other products out), Digital Wrench is the best choice for a small, specialized, or new shop.

Pros

I like that this software is easy to use and teach to new technicians. I like that it is a great value for the money. It is relatively inexpensive and works perfect for my small shop here at the University where I teach.

Cons

There are lots of invoice options to choose from, however, when setting up the company information, not everything that is set up there that should appear on the invoices does so correctly. Instead of having to choose an invoice layout that is already pre-designed, I think it would be better to have a list of options provided and then have the entire invoice customized through the company setup.

Response from VMT Software

Thanks for the kind words. As far as invoices go, the company setup has a few options for invoice#16 or some of our built-in invoices.
We have around 50 custom invoices in our report writer that you can modify directly so you can create an invoice just for your company. You can modify them there, and test them as well. Call us if you'd like some help modifying your own invoice.

Ralf V.

Technician of 34 Years

Reviewed on 2017/07/10

It is flawless in keeping record of my cashflow.

Pros

I find it hard to use. And there is really nothing for me to coment on. The Program works great but is not what I was expecting.

Cons

As many of the other Software's out there this is aiming for the "Selling" and "Money" side of things. It is certainly not catering to the Customer. When I purchased this I was hoping to get a Software that can easily show me repairs that I did for my customers but that is not the Case here.
I am disappointed that the Customer gets left out in the cold.
So if you are looking to serve your Customers you may want to look elsewhere. If you worried about the Money side of things this Software is more than capable to do that for you.

Response from VMT Software

Ralf,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding the customer history.

All RO's relate to a customer, so you can easily see all work done, all parts sold to any particular customer by clicking on the $ icon on the very first screen. Then, click on the Find Customer button, select the customer and all RO's with balances will immediately display. To see all RO's, just uncheck the Balances Only button.

You can also filter the repairs by one of the customer's vehicles, a date range, or even search parts or labor with a keyword like 'Oil' or 'Brakes' or whatever you choose, all from the same screen.

If you every have any difficulties, please let us know. We are happy to help. Plus, it is comments from our customers that enable us to keep enhancing and improving our software.

Ray Rippey
Programmer

Jason L.

Digital Wrench Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

Everything I need is at the touch of a button

Pros

I've been using VMT Digital Wrench for 3 years now & the value you receive in this product is far beyond the price tag associated. In the Marine Industry the Work Order & POS Systems come at a premium rate but Digital Wrench does everything they do with the same ease of use they come with. For anyone looking for a professional product at a unbeatable value, VMT is by far the best option!!

Cons

There really is no Con w/ Digital Wrench in my opinion, the only thing it doesn't do the $10,000 systems do is integrate the parts vendors info via automatic web download

David P.
  • Industry: Automotive

Best work order and inventory software

Reviewed on 2019/08/17

The guys are quick to fix issues and make improvements, great company to work with

Pros

Easy to get started using, no crashes, great customer service, does everything I need, best price

Cons

Would like to be able to change the print layout

Response from VMT Software

David,

Glad Digital Wrench is working well for you.

You can change the print layout of the invoices by using the report manager. Call us and we'll show you how that can be done.

You can also use the report manager to create your own inventory, customer, cash, and many more reports.

James C.

DIGITAL WRENCH REVIEW

Reviewed on 2016/08/15

I used shop controller in the past . They just got way to expensive. I priced other programs and decided on digital wrench. They are easy on the wallet and have very good customer support. Digital wrench might not have everything shop controller has but they have everything a small shop needs and they are adding to it all the time. it

Pros

Ease of use once you lean the curve ,which is no to hard.

Cons

Not being able to pull up a single car past history or maybe i do not know how.

Response from VMT Software

James,
In order to see a complete history for a customers car, click on the $ icon on the main screen, click on the find customer button. Then, click OFF the balances only checkmark and you will see all RO's, estimates, WIP's and Completed RO's (Invoices). To see just one vehicle, Click on the Vehicle Icon, select the vehicle, then click on the checkbox to the left of the vehicle. Not hard once you do it once.

Eugene M.

GENE'S HONEST REVIEW

Reviewed on 2016/08/12

HAVE BEEN USING PROGRAM FOR A LITTLE OVER 3YRS,HAD A FEW PROBLEMS IN THE BEGINNING BUT TECH SUPPORT WAS ONLY A PHONE CALL AWAY AND ALWAYS VERY HELPFUL.PROBLEMS WERE ALWAYS RESOLVED QUICKLY.

Pros

YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE TO YOUR NEEDS. PRICE IS FAR BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PROGRAMS I'VE LOOKED INTO. LIKE SNAP ON,NAPA,MITCHELL.

Cons

DON'T REALLY HAVE ANY. WOULD LIKE TO CUSTOMIZE A LITTLE MORE TO MY LIKING & PROBALY COULD IF I WAS MORE OF A COMPUTER WIZ. I KNOW JUST ENOUGH TO GET MYSELF INTO A JAM & THEN HAVE TO ASK MY SON FOR HELP.

Amanda B.

Look no further!

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

Starting our new business and trying to find the right software for our repair orders was overwhelming. Until I came across Digital Wrench. I watched a youtube video, read reviews, and gave it a try. Best decision ever!

Pros

The price, by far the best out there, very affordable!
The customer service is awesome!!! You can call Ray or Don anytime and they are quick to answer, really listen to your concerns (even recommendations!), and they are extremely helpful. Very nice guys too!

Cons

I can not think of one complaint!

Marcel N.

Digital Wrench review

inventory control
quarterly reports
easy to use

Pros

Easy simple to use
very affordable
great team to work with

Cons

nothing everything about it is great. and if not they update so its great

Joseph P.
  • Industry: Maritime

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Pros

Not computer savvy at all and its very easy to set up and use.

Cons

There are a lot of options to choose from and not being computer smart it can be someone hard to figure out but its no big deal.

Moose E.

our digital wrench

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

very great company to deal with ,tech support was great at first start up .after getting the hang of it ,it meets all the needs we have. love it

Pros

evrything ive found so far

Cons

really dont dislike anything

Ikanyeone N.
  • Industry: Automotive

Forier Transform Botswana Pty Ltd use Digital Wrench Auto Workshop management software daily.

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

The software is affordable and easy to use. The software organized our daily operations in amazing way, we are now able to keep track of our spares inventory and track work in progress. Overall it made us look more professional on services we offer.

Pros

Easy navigation with well placed dashboard and comprehensive report formats.

Cons

Difficulty to link it with electronic catalogues.

Trevor M.

My review of Digital Wrench

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

When I was looking for an invoicing software this was not the first to come up on google search. After trying a few unsuccessful other soft wares I came across Digital Wrench. Right from the start it appeared to do what I needed it to. Customer service was on the ball. The other ones I tried did not even respond. Have been using now several months and no issues.

Pros

Easy to use. Tracks my invoices and sales data.

Cons

It is overkill for what I do need but I guess it is not really a con.

Joshua H.
  • Industry: Automotive

Great program! Easy to use and find what you need. Great support team, highly reccomended!!

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

I have already told the other companies in the area about and they said they were going to gove it a try.

David H.

Digital Wrench has saved me a lot of time on POS.

Reviewed on 2015/09/25

To start with I have no cons, this program does everything I need it to do.
Tech support is the best I have ever seen. They made a program special
to fit my needs, and it works perfect. Don and Ray will do everything possible
to make it work for you. I am very Happy.

Dave M.

The best repair program ever invented

Reviewed on 2016/12/19

Very easy to setup. Very easy to learn, very easy to enter information support is a click or a phone call away answered all the questions right away.

Brandon K.

Love it! Finally an interactive shop software with options and features! Great customer...

Reviewed on 2016/04/29

Very solid database, easy to navigate, endless options and features, can be used for simple or complex tasks, great customer support, excellent price.

Cody B.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Best Software I've found to date

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

They've always been professional and handled things as quickly as possible when possible.

Pros

Its super easy to use and train guys on. Allows my inventory to be tracked as well as my guys to clock in and out on jobs allowing us to bill out as much of our time as possible. Very affordable and has several features that shops need to function well.

Cons

I wish that there was some more customization available in certain area of our inventory/customer setup. I also wish we could run a web based version for access out of our mobile truck onsite. I would like it if our multiple computer setup would sync better/faster as that has caused some issues for us. Honestly I wouldn't mind paying for some of these items as additional upgrades to the program if the cost was reasonable.

Response from VMT Software

Thanks for your comments. We do have technology we are looking at to perhaps allow your techs to create workorders and invoices out in the field. Currently you could use a VPN or a Terminal Service like TSP plus to accomplish that. You would need a network technician to set that up. You should also have a network technician look at your local area network to see if they can speed that up. Have them call us if you like.
Thank you.

Jordan E.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

My review!

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

I purchased the program for the University of Alabama Grounds Department. This program is geared towards an individual shop owner, which is not exactly what I needed, but this is the closest program I could find to what I needed. We don't actually have customers or charge for parts or labor, we just needed a program to track what repairs we did to equipment within our department and how much money we spent on parts for each unit. I purchased the program mainly for the inventory portion to track how much we use throughout the fiscal year. We got several quotes for other repair utilities suited for our needs, but most were upward of $10,000 or more. All in all, I am very pleased with your program and it has helped us tremendously in keeping repair records of our equipment.

Pros

The inventory tracking is my favorite part of the software. it is easy to use and easy to track quantities of parts used throughout the year.

Cons

I have noticed that when I save and print repair orders that it cuts off some of the sentences or does not print everything I wrote. Everything is there when you view the repair order but not after you save it to pdf. I also save all my forms to pdf so I can put them into an equipment records folder to keep track of each piece of equipment for the year and print them off. I have not found a way to send it directly to the folder. I am having to save it and then transfer it from my wrench folder in the C:/ drive to individual folders. Like I stated before, we do not include taxes or labor rates in our repair orders. It would be nice to have the option to remove different fields from the repair order to clean it up.

Response from VMT Software

Jordan,
Thanks for the kind words.
As far as the RO printout is concerned we can fix that in short order. If you have the newest version, the invoice printouts have been fixed to show all of the labor. Also, some invoices now won't show the tax fields if you don't have taxes. Either way, you can use and/or copy one of the custom invoices and modify it easily and we'll be happy to help.

To automatically send the pdf's to a particular folder you can set that up in the company setup area.

Cathryn B.

Excellent Value

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

I have been more than happy with this product from day one - we have been using it for over 4 years now and have no plans to change.

Pros

Efficient, fast, good value. Support is awesome!

Cons

That would be a questions for the users but they seem to be happy with the system.

Jesus C.

Best software

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

I have used this software every day for several years and its always worked great. Have never had any issues with it. If I had any questions on any feature tech support was always ready to help and answer any question that I may have

Pros

Tech support is the best. Always a fast response.

Cons

None

Donna R.

Digital Wrench Review A+

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

Great software and the customer service is awesome. These guys are very professional and helpful. Glad I found this product. Better than all the others out there by far!

Pros

All of it!

Cons

None of it.

Al R.

Digital wrench

Reviewed on 2016/08/10

Used about a year still learning
Parts inventory works good packages some times hard to setup
Would be nice to pull up cust. From closed work orders

Pros

Support

Cons

Not linked to parts store

Response from VMT Software

Al, If you view a closed RO you can click on the customer edit icon at the top and edit the customer and it will copy the customer info into the closed RO.

Call if you need help with that or it is something else.

Chung T.
  • Industry: Automotive

Its a great shop siftware!

Reviewed on 2016/08/11

This software is great & Don is very helpful and knowledgable. Tried other softwares in the past. Either it's too expensive or it doesn't work as it should.

Pros

It's easy to use & keeps track of everything I need so far. So far so good.

Cons

Not at this moment.

Brent U.

Motorcycle shop owner

Reviewed on 2016/11/16

Easy to use, great support, made filing my sales tax reports a breeze. very happy with the program as a whole.

Frank S.

Great Software at a Great price

Reviewed on 2015/12/08

Ray has been great in helping me set up the software. The program is very stable with no glitches. Ray also does update on a regular bases.