Blackboard Learn Reviews

Blackboard Learn

A marketing-leading LMS for education, biz, gov, and more.

Signe
Signe
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Simplifies Grades, Course Communications, & Materials Distribution

Reviewed on 2021/08/18

There are a lot of learning management systems out there, and I've used several of them. Blackboard is my favorite. It has excellent capabilities, improves organization, and makes it very easy to communicate with students.

Pros

Blackboard is a great tool for communicating with students, distributing course materials, and recording student grades. The "one-stop shopping" approach makes it easy for professors to stay organized in each class, and it also makes it easy for students to stay organized. When used well, Blackboard allows you to do everything from communicating with students to uploading assignment sheets to sending class announcements.

As a writing professor, I especially appreciate the SafeAssign feature that checks student assignments for plagiarism. Once I started requiring my students to use SafeAssign, I found that plagiarism attempts dropped off significantly. (So did attempts to recycle papers from one course to another.) In addition, SafeAssign saves me a lot of leg work when students DO plagiarize -- it flags the suspect text as well as the source, so I don't have to hunt it down myself.

Cons

For me, Blackboard wasn't intuitive to learn. Even after 7 years of using it nearly ever day during the semester, I had some challenges making it do what I wanted it to do. I often spent far more time than I should have trying to customize things for my courses. But, as long as I stuck to the basic features -- which are also the ones I personally found most useful/beneficial -- Blackboard was a great tool for organizing my courses and keeping students on track.

Kayla
  • Industry: Biotechnology

BlackBoard as a student

Reviewed on 2020/04/15

It's super easy to navigate and find all your resources on. It's well organized and I love it.

Pros

I really like using blackboard. It is a lot better than other programs I've had to learn for school. It is super easy to navigate. You can find all your assignments there. There's a calendar to make when assignments are due. My favorite part I think, is the fact that you can email another student through blackboard. So if you are doing a project and you've never met your partner, or don't have their information, you can email them through blackboard.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

• Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Blackboard - Really clunky!

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

At our institution Bb Learn instructions sometimes don't match the local implementation.

Pros

What I like most about the software is what is is *supposed* to do: serve as a total course management system.

Cons

Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks. Nearly every function in Blackboard is present in other generic software and works more efficiently. In addition, Blackboard (as set up in our school) forces templates onto teachers, Redoing the templates into usable form takes lots of clicks.

Here are two examples of the most egregious design errors.

1. The Bb gradebook. It vaguely resembles like Excel or Google sheets in how functions. But unlike spreadsheets where one can easily duplicate columns and reassign formulas, the Gradebook requires separate multiple-menu-click operations for every column creation, every grade entry and every grade change. We find little flexibility in creating grading formulas, compared to off-the-shelf spreadsheet programs. And the import-export functions of Bb gradesheets to generic spreadsheets is so clunky that it is unusable.

2. Course duplication. Bb allows the teacher to duplicate a course. Except it doesn't really work. If you try and duplicate the course you taught in the year 2020 for use in 2021, you find that Blackboard will duplicate the general template for all university courses without importing all of the eaacher's innovations.

Often Replaced, But Worth a Look

Reviewed on 2023/11/05

I still use it as a backup in my other classes. It's still useful even when out of front-line service

Pros

Blackboard is often being replaced with D2L/Brightspace, including at my college. However, it comes with a number of advantages. It's relatively easy to use and includes Blackboard UltraCollaborate, which was essential during the pandemic as a remote learning tool

Cons

It tends to delete older classes without informing the professor, making it harder to use or reuse older material

Newkirk
  • Industry: Libraries

Blackboard Learn for Aiken Technical College's Embedded Librarian Program

Reviewed on 2023/02/09

I post announcements about our Library's online resources and also monitor a Discussion Board thread called "Ask a Librarian." I get plenty of questions in the Discussion Board and also in response to the announcements, especially closer to assignment due dates.

Pros

I can post a variety of media in the Announcements section and in the Content Areas. The more options I can give students to access the information they need, the better.

Cons

There may be a way to do this and I haven't figured out how yet, but I would like to be able to transfer a whole content area from one course to another instead of starting from scratch each time.

Moodle

Reasons for Switching to Blackboard Learn

It had better functionality with the campus portal.
Kim

Better Learning Tool Out There

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Overall my experience with Blackboard was not bad but since using other software I do prefer the others to Blackboard Learn.

Pros

Hosting courses on Blackboard is better than having another software. Helps with managing your class and multiple users can work together to add work to it. Integration with zoom is great and necessary. Eases the maintenance that comes with large classes for teacher assistants and professors.

Cons

So many features could be improved. We now use Canvas and prefer that to Blackboard Learn. Need more integration and more improvements on the mobile app.

Arturo
Arturo

Your new classroom (digital)

Reviewed on 2022/05/26

The experience that Blackboard gives you is satisfactory since several other platforms, its management system between courses, and the power to upload files or open documents that teachers upload to their respective courses, are not as easy to do as in blackboard, since the software is very friendly for students like us and makes it not cost us work in performing all its functions that it gives us.

Pros

Being still a student, I love the ease with which I can move within the interface and change courses because if you have several subjects, you can easily locate them and see the content very easily. Inside the software, you can see practically everything as if it were a classroom since you can hold virtual meetings, see your content/tasks to do, see your final grades, take your final exams, etc. It is a platform that stands out for its excellence in education since the page rarely crashes or presents some difficulties.

Cons

It may be difficult at first to navigate through the different menus/pages/courses because the platform does not give us that simply look the first time we see it, as unlike its competitors in the market, this one has a slightly less friendly view. But it is rescued if for example our school/university gives us within Blackboard a small tutorial on the essentials you should know about this software.
But honestly, I do not see many cons to Blackboard because it is a platform that gives us what we are looking for and that is why it is one of the top e-learning software.

Luis Carlos
Luis Carlos

Does the job and has everything you need

Reviewed on 2021/12/28

I like that it does a little bit of everything. Some other professors at my university liked to rely on BB Learn for everything, including video-conference and online exams. Being as feature rich as it is, BB Learn has the problem that the user interface might be very challenging for some people. I guess you either really like it or really don't, so when it doesn't click you can get frustrated by a lot of things. Still, for the people loving it, they will make the most out of it. One of the best tools out there. Easy to recommend for general purposes.

Pros

I like that if you're a power user and your students get into it, this is probably the only eLearning tool you will ever need. It has everything from homework assignments to actual video-conference; besides of the usual tools like forums and work groups. The online exams are very useful, specially if you don't want to manually grade tons and tons of tests.

Cons

I don't like the user interface. Most of the tools are one more click away than I think they should. Very useful things like the exams are really powerful, but creating them is so awkward that sometimes you prefer to just handle a document.

Prateek
Prateek

Exceptional Learning Management Systems Provide Integration With Third-Party Applications

Reviewed on 2022/12/19

The platform helps me because I can continue my education from a distance using the various alternatives offered by Blackboard. It is an entire LMS system, incredibly user-friendly, and connects with a variety of audio and video resources.

Pros

I love that everything for all of my classes is accessible on Blackboard Learn in a single area. I have access to all of the resources, tests, and homework that my instructors have uploaded. the platform's user-friendliness. For instance, it can be effectively used by both the instructor and the students. You can see all of your selections on the bar to the left.

Cons

I can't think of anything about Blackboard Learn that I dislike, to be completely honest. It has been an excellent resource for online learning and classes. I may interact with my professor and fellow students, take part in debates, and access and watch my lectures.

Khothatso
Khothatso

A great LMS to use.

Reviewed on 2022/08/03

Pros

Blackboard Learn is a great tool to manage your academic career and it has helped me a great deal especially during the pandemic because I could attend my lessons online. You can literally access everything on your portal with features such as communication and notification features. It is easy to use and provides you with everything you need.

Cons

In the beginning the software would kick me out as I was attending classes and it happened a few times. Otherwise I don't have any problems with the software.

Laura
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

BB Learn-the old workhouse

Reviewed on 2022/05/27

I will continue to use BB Learn or soon we will be using Ultra, for as long as I have to for my job. If my job were to ask me should we keep BB or switch to another LMS - I would say SWITCH!

One of the absolute worst features within BB is the Voice thread area. I used to use it and had to teach others how to use it. They (BB) decided to "improve it" a couple years ago and now it is so difficult to use that I tried to create user guides and could not get it to work and it was so complicated now, I have given up on it entirely and do not recommend that area at all for anyone to use.

Pros

I like the powerful features and security of the program

Cons

BB is the most frustrating program I have ever used. It was one of the 1st LMS programs-I have heard. Its design is clunky and seems to be created by someone with little UXUI experience, I mean UXUI was a field that was known only by the people in the top of their field 20+ years ago so that would make sense! The lack of logical design for buttons and search areas is aggravating. The lack of them going back and changing things for the better and getting a visual designer and UXUI person involved NOW to fix the program-is again aggravating. An example to add a user, you click on a menu item-it goes to a window on the right and there is a search field there which one is supposed to ignore and know somehow to click on a button that does not look like a button called "Find Users To Enroll". WHY, is the search field even showing? Do you know how many times if I get away form using BB for a few weeks or months I end up typing in that filed instead of a button that does not look like a button? Explaining to faculty to NOT type in the field is a constant, because your intuition thinks the design makes sense-it does not.

Abhuday
Abhuday
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Easy and flexible learning management system.

Reviewed on 2023/04/16

Students are satisfied with it.

Students are satisfied with it.

Pros

It has very strong and fast customer support service.

Cons

It's bit costly and there are no free version.

Moodle

Reasons for Choosing Blackboard Learn

More features are there in Blackboard.

Google Classroom
William
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Avoid this program at all costs. Use literally anything else.

Reviewed on 2020/04/24

Awful. If I had the choice, I would never use this program again. I use a different program at another college where I work, and I can say without any reservation that Blackboard is garbage. I don't know how it's priced, but I'm sure it can't be worth whatever the administrators are saving. Truly horrid, and now that most of our work is going to be online for awhile, teachers just can't afford to be hamstrung by this abysmal program any longer.
Oh, and Safe Assign is a joke. I've caught ten times more plagiarism using common sense than that thing has ever spotted. It misses almost ALL of the plagiarism I have found from my students. Ridiculously bad.

Pros

There is nothing this software does that other software doesn't do better. I like that it allows for the creation of rubrics, as all programs of this sort do. Really can't seen anything about this that is better or even as good as other programs

Cons

Whole passages of feedback will suddenly disappear if you move the mouse into the wrong area or scroll a bit while you are typing comments on the essay. This is a persistent problem that everyone in our school has verified. In order to use one editing tool (a highlighter), the program locks out the other editing tool (the comment field), unless you refresh the screen, which then erases any comments not held in place by a highlight. I could go on and on and on, but I'm afraid I'd have to type it all over again if this review field is made by the same people who made Blackboard's essay editor.

Brian
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Well established platform

Reviewed on 2016/02/23

I am consulting for two institutions - the one a large higher education institution - 45 000+ Blackboard users - self hosted and the other - smaller business school - 1000+ Blackboard users - hosted.

I present training and support to the faculty on how to use the LMS. Although one can discover a lot for yourself using the Blackboard help site, there are a few tips and tricks that make life a lot easier which is not always that intuitive.

Problems that we are trying to solve: changing the faculty's teaching philosophy from traditional lecture based teaching to a more active learning environment. Blackboard certainly address that well - as long as you plan your activities properly, you can get excellent feedback for example let the students read or view a video on a specific concept and then let them write a pre-test before they come to the lecture. This will help you to identify where the gaps still exist which you can address then in class. Also using a flipped class room approach - Blackboard can be used to assist you in flipping your class room where you can also monitor and track which of your students engaged beforehand.

I have been using WebCT and then Blackboard.

Pros

Everything is in one space - lots of tools - the sky is really the limit.
I also like the Best Practice parts of the help site - it helps you to get ideas of how you can use the tools.

Cons

In terms of support from Blackboard, sometimes the person who receives the inquiry do not read properly or English is a second language because we often have to explain again and again before they understand - that is the only frustration I currently have with the support.

It is unfortunately a very expensive product since the institutions are not based in the USA and therefore we are subjected to the exchange rate.

anitha

blackboard Learn for undergraduate classes

Reviewed on 2021/04/12

I used blackboard as a graduate student and I have been using it now as an instructor for my larger chemistry classes with 200 to 250 students, and it is really very helpful, makes my classes run smoothly.

Pros

it is easy to post all assignments, class materials, notes and grades using blackboard. Especially for larger classes I don't have to print the paper copy, posting the class material on blackboard will help students to print and refer to the material easily. Gradebook is one of the best features of blackboard, I have quizzes almost everyday for my students, posting these quizzes grades were very straightforward using blackboard. I have also used blackboard for online quizzes and exams, and for lab exams.

Cons

Blackboard gets slower when many people are using at the same time and some times it becomes unavailable due to maintenance(but we do get notice prior to it). other than that I had no issue with it.

Joel Thomas

As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me

Reviewed on 2018/11/24

Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros

As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons

While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

Blackboard LMS

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Classrooms disorganized?! Not with Blackboard! This will make classroom administration a breeze, saving your instructors and administrators a lot of time and make your classroom management 1000% more efficient!

Pros

The greatest feature of this product is the ease of use with regards to its navigation. When we started using Blackboard LMS, I literally trained a large portion of our staff on the ins and outs of the software in less than 2 hours. This has made classroom organization the easiest it has been in decade. Our instructors can distribute class materials, assignments, and grades with a few clicks. It is absolutely amazing!

Cons

Installation can be both lengthy and problematic if you are moving from an incompatible LMS. While we were lucky, we still ran into bugs while making our transition. This was frustrating, but was luckily done during the summer, when attendance was at its lowest.

• Industry: Law Practice

Makes my Online classes SO Much easier

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Overall I love it. It helps me to focus on my school work and know when I have assignments due. It notifies me when new material is uploaded. ANYTHING that makes my life easier is a A++ in my book!

Pros

Blackboard has been AMAZING for organizing my online classes. I take 4 online classes a semester and I would be a mess if I didn't have blackboard reminding me of what needs done and making it super easy. Its very easy to upload my assignments and see whats due when it's due. Everything about it is SUPER easy and organized so I can focus all my energy on my school work.

Cons

I still can't figure out how to export my due dates to my calendar. I'm not sure if you even can, but I can't find any support on it. I don't like how I can't change the names of my courses and Ive had 3 courses that I dont take anymore still showing up and can't get them to disappear.

Joshua
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great LMS for school or uni

Reviewed on 2022/07/15

Pros

Blackboard is reliable and easy to use LMS, requiring little to no direction or training for new users. Communication and notifications are great, found all in one place for easy access and viewing. Gradebook is another fantastic feature. All the information about your assessments can be found in one place, including submission dates, marking criteria and overall grades. Submission process is great, allowing users to thoroughly review their documents and their similarity report before submission.

Cons

UI could be updated to be more user-friendly, e.g., minimise clicks, add more shortcuts for site navigation. Features to allow for collaboration in group projects/tasks would be useful as many users prefer external software for collaboration, communication between students and instructors and productivity. However, it is perfectly adequate for users familiar with the LMS.

Justin
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Blackboard Learn

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

Blackboard is one of the giants of the e-learning industry, so you can expect resourcing and the support indicative of a premier product. The mobile experience was relatively intuitive, which is a must in the current environment where students may be working full time while earning an online degree.

Cons

Compared to other learning management systems (such as Canvas or Schoology), Blackboard reflects the features and structuring of learning management systems of days gone by - specifically, it is structured most closely around a 'document dump' approach to online learning. This approach has been soundly refuted in the research, and while one can certainly design a quality learning environment, many of your end users will likely not have the discernment to do so. From a student's perspective, it is often difficult to access key pieces such as messaging and grades when enrolled in multiple courses at once.

Ziyaad
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A good environment for students

Reviewed on 2022/08/06

Really nice experience especially since I went remote, very easy to learn because of its user friendly UI, it sometimes feels better than being in the office/class

Pros

The calendar was a great feature, I would always catch myself going there to see what I have due on which days, its a really nice addition to stay organized and check due dates in the case I forgot. Another additional feature would be recordings, having a space to go back and check previous recordings was great as well

Cons

Not being able to import the calendar to google calendars or going through a lengthy process to do it, Linking it with outlook calendar can be confusing as well at some points.

seemingly popular but surprisingly clunky

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

This is not a minor software and many have found it to be worthwhile, so consider my review in context of your particular business needs. There may be aspects that fit your needs quite well. I just haven't found them in my case.

Pros

I can't say too much positive other than it is a reliable platform. Rarely experience outages which affect business critical functions.

Cons

I think that the back-end reporting features must be the shining star of this software. The front-end user experience is less than adequate. I have used blackboard to deploy data and assessments for 5 years, and I still have questions which require professional assistance at least once a quarter. It is time consuming to use and does not produce a clean interface.

Lara
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

A perfect LMS for remote learning

Reviewed on 2023/07/19

We have since moved on to Canvas at my workplace, and I long for the days when all we used was Blackboard. I have had more trouble with Canvas than Blackboard with my distance learners.

Pros

Its adaptability and flexibility for the content writer. Information is so easy to add, edit, or remove at a moment's notice, and the changes are reflected immediately.

Cons

There could be more assessment tools added, but the ones already there are more than adequate.

Blackboard Analytics for Learn

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Analytics has been a game-changer that is helping our institution create an overall better student experience.

Pros

Blackboard Analytics is an amazingly powerful data platform. Working in conjunction with Pyramid, Analytics lets you view Blackboard data from a "global" institution view, all the way down to a single mouse click, by one student in one course. In this ever increasing data-driven industry, Analytics is a powerful tool to help you make informed decisions based on real time data. Information is presented in easy to navigate dashboards, allowing users to interact with the data. Admins can create specific reports tailored to the institution needs. Customer support and training have been invaluable.

Cons

Going in, it helps if you have a working knowledge of databases. The dashboards are easy enough for the general user, but the report creation is not always intuitive. All that said, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.