ABBYY FineReader PDF Reviews

ABBYY FineReader PDF

PDF solution for document editing and digital collaboration

Pattar and Co.
Pattar and Co.
  • Industry: Accounting

Extremely valuable tool in fostering automation for my small-sized accounting firm

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

For anyone in the finance industry, it is now simply understood that numbers are no longer "crunched" by overworked accountants battling customer-driven deadlines. That is all gone by way of automation. The only hang-up to a seamless input into automation is the fact that much of it still is stored as paper, believe it or not. My firm in particular made a push to start digitizing all of our records and in this process, I learned much about OCR technology. There are hundreds of products that say they can OCR, but the fact that ABBYY can process a HUGE variety of documents, fonts, etc. , this saves a lot of time correcting the output and actually getting searchable documents onto file storage. I just hope that this product continues to develop and remains at its reasonable price point.

Pros

It literally helped my firm save HUNDREDS of man-hours of data entry by running all of our scanned documents through ABBYY and relying heavily upon its OCR to produce a variety of formats which we were able to quickly cross verify and enter into the accounting software. In short, the quality and intelligence of their OCR engine is tremendously accurate and fast!

Cons

The licensing stuff is a little TOO strict and often the remote licensing procedure has to be manually restarted within WIndows Services. We eventually bought more licenses after realizing that ABBYY will be a critical component in my firm's efforts to digitize all of our records and hard copies onto our cloud-hosted server. However, for a very small business that may not warrant another license purchase, they will quickly find out that ABBYY is quick to detect multiple sessions of the same serial code and will block both out. A little excessive, but I can understand their strict use and protection of this fine product.

Steve

Best Overall PDF software I've found.

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

For the price, still the best program out there, and much improved in recent years. Great alternative to the terribly priced and overwrought Adobe.

Pros

Ease of Use in combining and editing documents.
Simple to adjust, remove, merge, and edit text.

Cons

OCR function not wholly accurate, but no program is.
Image adjustment is slower and has a steep learning curve. I wish you could work on doc image without first running OCR (adds time). Steeper learning curve on OCR.
Commenting on docs not as clean/clear to follow along as on other programs.

PDF Studio

Reasons for Choosing ABBYY FineReader PDF

Needed a reliable and affordable pdf editor. Reach of the products above failed one of those criteria.

Adobe Acrobat Reader and Lumin PDF

I don't recall
Mari

Reviewed on 2023/12/15

OCR not very accurate
Scanning is good

OCR not very accurate
Scanning is good

Pros

Product is good.

Purchase and set up a complete nightmare. Getting the serial number to activate required legal threats.

Was sold with a free mobile version which
Eventually i got a link for but would not install.

I only got help when i raised a complaint with paypal.

Cons

Setup and administration.

Their payment and processing system seems to be completely independant of issuing license numbers

Radovan
  • Industry: Wholesale

ABBYY is my second favourite office software.

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Pros

PDF to EXCEL converting,
Abby screenshot reader

Cons

I like everything. Abby screenshot reader shoud have some editing options.

Response from ABBYY Software House

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for the great review. We are happy to hear about your positive experience. Subscribe to our blog for tips, trends, and use cases to boost your document productivity even more!

Krzysztof

I recommend this program

Reviewed on 2021/12/06

This program is a real combine of possibilities, it has helped me many times in difficult situations when it was necessary to change the contract sent in pdf and in the form of scans, so it is worth having such a program

Pros

This program allows you to work with pdf files completely, you can edit files created from screenshots and scans, it has many more functions than the free version of adobe reader.

Cons

The price could be lower ;) In my work, I often need a program not only to read but also edit documents, often scans of documents, some information on documents must be obscured due to data protection, etc. basic programs do not provide such functions.

Christopher
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 1+ year

ABBYY Fine trader PDF Review

Reviewed on 2021/07/10

My overall experience with this software is pretty good I solve a lot of works on different purposes

Pros

This software is very accurate and effective to read make pdfs save important files also to collaborate and merge some.docs

Cons

Sometimes some.features are not too clearly to use and to get all the functions you get to buy a very full version of the software and some people can't get it

Carol

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

Pros

I bought Abbyy to use as an OCR for volunteer work but it turned out to be so much more. It’s become my default PDF viewer as well. I love the ability to add and delete pages to any PDF.

Cons

I really haven’t found anything I’m not happy with.

Reasons for Switching to ABBYY FineReader PDF

It had great reviews for its OCR capabilities.
David

Full Featured Product

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

I love it. I had been looking for something like this and discosvered it via a recommendation.

Pros

The ability to extract to Excel was my main requirement. This makes it quite easy although its not perfect. Having said that some of the pdf files were not that clear so I was asking a lot. It is the best I have seen for the price.

Cons

I have notintegrated it with my processes and probably use less than 20% of its capacity. I expect that it will useful for me to spend more time learning. Not sure there is much availble online though. It woudl be nice to udnerstanda process flow.

Reasons for Switching to ABBYY FineReader PDF

Price and after usign a free trial I was hooked.
William
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

OCR for Arabic

Reviewed on 2023/06/23

Very satisfied. ABBYY is the standard for the translation industry.

Very satisfied. ABBYY is the standard for the translation industry.

Pros

OCR of Arabic, a cursive language, is the gordian knot of OCR technology. ABBYY has consistently worked this issue over the past decade and is now the undisputed champion of the world (spoken with a [sensitive content hidden]
accent). Their tech support is always ready to take on the challenge if I bring up something that could be improved.1

Cons

While it is very effective, I believe if ABBYY allowed users to selectively train patterns, it would be much more efficient. As it stands now, training a pattern means going through many ligatures that are not problematic to get to the ligatures that truly need training. It would be better to go directly to these ligatures.

Ahmad

The Greatest OCR Software

Reviewed on 2023/06/18

I have been using ABBYY FineReader PDF for a long time to convert PDFs to Excel and I am happy using this software

Pros

The most important this about this software is that it supports many languages more than any other OCR software, the OCR results are not very accurate for some languages but the OCR result for the English language is great.

Cons

The OCR results for some languages are bad and not accurate at all, they need to work on the OCR criteria to enhance the results and make it smarter to predict the correct letter or word.

William
  • Industry: Law Practice

ABBYY FineReader Version 15 creates compact .pdfs with OCR support for east Asian languages

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

I have used ABBYY FineReader since 2008, through several versions.

I have used ABBYY FineReader since 2008, through several versions.

Pros

I routinely use FineReader to re-tool documents sent by clients and other attorneys into compact, clear .pdfs with OCR. File sizes are typically one-tenth the size of the scanned file I received, and usually at least one-third the file size. FR can correct trapezoidal distortion and improve text qualities in other ways. The text editing tools work smartly and easily. I appreciate that FR will OCR files in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean and mixed with English. I can also easily create .pdfs from cell phone photos sent of documents, page by page. FR also converts .pdfs to Excel, Word, and PowerPoint formats.

Cons

I am very pleased with FR version 15, but it lacks the excellent bulk .pdf processing scripts that you can write in Adobe Acrobat; however, the FR .pdf files are typically more compact than the Acrobat files. I also liked version 12, but I was not pleased with the changes from version 12 to 14. I found verion 14 unreasonably difficult to use.

Halimatun
Halimatun
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The best for PDF editor

Reviewed on 2021/10/25

Pros

ABBYY FineReader PDF has saves me countless hours of time of data entry. I can simply scanned the physical document and change the form to digital and running the OCR tools to make the text on the document editable. The OCR tools is the best i have tried and it can read the text perfectly even when the text is disoriented.

Cons

Some of the font can't be read by the software, especially for an Arabic font. It is also happen with a custom font and the software won't work well with this type of text. Other think that i hope they can improve is the licensing. The license is install on the computer, and it is not easy to transfer the license to other computer.

Roberto
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great tool!

Reviewed on 2023/06/23

It´s the best pdf editing tool I know so far and I tried a lot different tools, when I worked as an administrator.

Pros

What I like most about Abby is the simplicity, the reliability and the speed which helps me very much to work fast and on my own speed.

Cons

Editing text is not as easy as I would prefer it or better, not everything is so easy to be edited by Abby.

Netram
Netram
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Fantastic PDF files reader and editor software.

Reviewed on 2022/12/01

Overall I am happy with this PDF reader application, User interface is really simple and straightforward in terms of features.

Pros

ABBYY FineReader is a fantastic application while working with PDF files. I can read, edit, merge in PDF files. the best thing that I like is inbuilt OCR functionalities, it changed my PDF file into an editable format so that I can use text in ms word.

Cons

Before switching to ABBYY finereader I was using adobe acrobat for all my PDF purpose after switching into this I found some features missing like digital signature, page arrangement and missing app from my windows app store.

Dawn
  • Industry: Research

Excellent for assistive tech

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

It is helped greatly with creating document Fields with radio buttons, electronically signing a document and scan an absolute tons of research material that would be in accessible any other way. It has been invaluable for research purposes though I would like to learn a faster way to import documents rather than doing a six step process by hand. (This may be scheduling a hot folder but I need to try that yet. I love the potential there because find reader is the only product I've heard about this possibility.)

Pros

Ability to keyword search without OCR to see if I need to OCR for research purposes — saving hours of time. Cheaper than true assistive technology for conversion purposes, even though fine reader is not entirelY accessible by voice, it is sometimes easier to see than some other assistive tech software. Used by college campuses for textbooks so I know it can scan books I need.

Cons

Needs LAME mp3 encoder and quality voices package (ivona, Acapela etc.) with Read Aloud feature with ability to export (if only for disabled people). This needs the ability to choose from a wide range of voices. The reason is that I have to OCR in Finereader then open the doc in Acrobat to Read Aloud, and then I have no way to play the document on my cell phone as an audiobook or burn it to cd to take with me. I can submit a book request to Bookshare for their mp3 but that can take years if at all. I need to know conversion tips like the disabled services at college campuses know, such as how to remove different colored highlighter colors to make a clean paper even if the real one is marked up. I need to learn more about storing multiple documents long term without my computer crashing.
I purchased find reader mobile and finally the PDF in the same package, fine reader PDF is usable but occasionally says that my license doesn’t work. The mobile app became unusable as in a trial even though I have purchased it almost immediately. I would like it up and running again

Nathan

Converts from PDF to Excle seamlessly

Reviewed on 2022/12/26

Been using the product for about 5 years and Acrobat has neve performed as well (which is why we are using Abbyy)

Pros

The ability to convert just what I need in a document without all of the extemperaneous informaiton that is not critical to my work product

Cons

The inability to recognize a poor scan with dust as not being characters

David
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Strengths and Weaknesses of OCR features

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

Main use is converting PDFs of documents sent to us for translation into Word, so they can be translated using Trados software. I'm using an older version of Trados, which can't handle .docx documents, so it's very helpful that ABBYY FineReader converts directly to .doc format.

Pros

My go-to OCR software. Does an excellent job of converting both English and foreign-language text to Word format. Pretty decent at converting PDF docs that have less than stellar resolution into correct text. Very pleased that it can covert both to .doc as well as .docx format.

Cons

Generally has difficulty dealing with images and graphics. Often converts tabbed text to text boxes, which can only be effectively further used in Word by copying and pasting the contents into blank pages and re-integrating them into the document. If it converted tabbed text to tables, it would be far easier to use the result.

Michael

Great Conversion Tool

works very well for our needs

works very well for our needs

Pros

The ability to combine documents from different programs into a single PDF

Cons

this could use a certified signature field or the ability to import a signature from a file

Reasons for Choosing ABBYY FineReader PDF

Did not combine and convert documents

PDF Complete

Reasons for Switching to ABBYY FineReader PDF

Works with my other programs for conversions

Ernest
  • Industry: Publishing

Better than Adobe

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

as good, better in some cases, as Adobe at a reasonable cost.

as good, better in some cases, as Adobe at a reasonable cost.

Pros

it is very easy to use. It is also full of useful features which are much simpler to use than Adobe. I cannot think of one thing that Adobe can do better, although i do not use some of the more collaborative features. It is stable, does a great job of creating and editing PDF and does the same thing Adobe does for a lot less money.

Cons

I wish there was something to say here, but i really have no issue or problems with what i use this for

Ahmet
  • Industry: Building Materials

Cool recognizes text, functional develops

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

Our company is quite modern, but many customers and customers still work according to the old scheme: they create a document, print it out and bring it to us. They are so comfortable, and we have to transfer everything back to the computer. Manually, of course, we do not do this, but use FineReader. It does an excellent job with the conversion, but errors sometimes happen, especially with regard to the recognition of special characters. In general, I like everything.

Cons

The 14th version of the program does not work correctly: the automatic brightness adjustment broke, the document opens on the second attempt, the contrast change function disappears. Hope this is fixed.

ABBYY FineReader PDF-- it works, but...

Reviewed on 2022/12/23

Overall we are more or less satisfied with ABBYY FineReader PDF but we would love to see it have the full feature set of the previous Mac product.

Pros

We use ABBYY FineReader to convert PDFs to text. It does a good job of this, although it is somewhat inconsistent in the way it interprets a PDF. There are many many options for exporting OCR'd text, and that is both a blessing and a curse. Maybe there are a few too many!

Cons

I wish it were more consistent with how it handles chunks of text that appear (to the eye) to be identical. I also wish it had all of the features of the previous FineReader product. One feature that we miss greatly is the ability to highlight regions on a representative page and save those regions as a template which can then be applied to the rest of the document very quickly. The template feature was great in the previous version. The software is not completely intuitive but once you get used to it you can get things done.

Louwrens
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

ABBYY FineReader Converts and Edits easily and without issues.

Reviewed on 2023/02/08

We deployed the ABBYY Finereader sofware in our offices and it really does an awesome job at editing and converting PDFs to Office documents. The OCR function works really well and overall this tool makes our daily lives so much easier.

Pros

The overall user interface is easy to understand and simple to work with.The OCR capability really is what we use the most as a lot of our business users need to edit PDF documents all the time.

Cons

We could not find anything we dislike with ABBYY Finereader.

Zyad

OCR that supports all languages

Reviewed on 2023/12/10

I use ABBYY FineReader PDF to convert scanned PDFs to Excel or Word so that they can be edited, I have been using ABBYY FineReader PDF for more than 4 years and I like this application as it provided a great OCR feature.

Pros

ABBYY FineReader PDF has the best and most accurate OCR tool in the world. The ABBYY FineReader PDF OCR tool supports all languages, especially the most complicated ones like Arabic language. Also, the OCR gives high quality and accurate results and can be converted to Excel, Word, and text.

Cons

ABBYY FineReader PDF is not the best PDF editor or viewer, the text editing is somehow more complicated than other PDF editor applications. I wish they could upgrade and enhance PDF editing features to become the most integrated PDF software.

Jennifer

Excellent product - highly recommend!

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

ABBYY FineReader is an excellent program for those who need to convert inaccessible files to readable text.

Pros

I absolutely love ABBYY FineReader PDF! I mainly use if for its OCR feature. I work at a college in disability support services. Occasionally, I need to have a book scanned and OCR'd to meet the accessibility needs of students requesting etext. ABBYY makes the OCR process simple! The program is super user friendly and quick. Oftentimes I have to combine multiple files and ABBYY does this seamlessly. Additionally, it is easy to reorganize the files before combining them. I highly recommend ABBYY for the OCR feature. There are many other features that ABBYY provides that I have not had a chance to use yet, but I am happy to know that they are there in case I need them. Also, the price is unbelievably affordable for the many features and the high quality and ease of use!

Cons

I have not come across anything I do not like or feels needs to be improved upon with ABBYY. I have mainly used it for the OCR feature and have found it to be very easy to use and efficient.

Timo
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

useful tool

I like it more than competitor tools

I like it more than competitor tools

Pros

OCR is working fine, support for word and powerpoint as well PDF creator is great features

Cons

no special problems, software is just working mainly fine, few time total crash has been seen.