OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

OpenShot Video Editor

Free and open-source video editing software!

Haris
Haris
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Incredible Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 2021/05/10

I always use Openshot video editor when i need to make some exciting edited videos. The software is very easy to use and available on free of cost. Openshot Video Editor supports multiple formats and can be easily downloaded from their website. My overall experience with this software is very amazing and i strongly recommend Openshot video editor to the professionals who are looking for exciting video editing experience.

Pros

The videos can be edited in a very simple way by just drag and drop and you can add animations, watermark, sound effects and many other exciting things in your videos. I am using this software for last 3 years and always found it very helpful and full of exciting features. In Openshot video editor you can also trim your videos and add flying text and 3D animations. You can also speed up and slow down your videos according to your need. The interface is so simple and understandable one can easily use this software without any problem.

Cons

As of my experience i have never face any difficulty in Openshot video editor. The software always provide me all the necessary tools and features which i need and to make my videos beautiful and colorful.

Muddassar
Muddassar
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Professional and Open-Source Video Editor

Reviewed on 2020/04/18

I have used the software to edit my own personal videos. Also, I have edited the videos of my clients. The software has helped me to create compositions from scratch to the advanced level. No doubt, OpenShot is the really simple and powerful video editor. I really like this software, because I have created a number of stunning videos using the OpenShot. I can export the video in different formats. So sometimes I export or save my work as a MP4 file and sometimes I use other formats. So my overall experience with this video editor is really incredible.

Pros

OpenShot is the best and perfect video editor. We can download the software free of cost because this is open-source software. This software is very easy to learn because the dashboard interface is very simple. We can easily understand the features and functions of different panels. From the effects and transitions panel, we can drag and drop beautiful effects in our timeline. We can create a lot of layers for your different videos and soundtracks. We can also apply different beautiful animations like fade, bounce, slide and more.

Cons

I would really like if I will able to find more plugins or templates on the official website of OpenShot. No doubt, there are hundreds of effects, features, and transitions that we can also simply apply from the software. Only if they add some external plugins in the website, that will be really Awesome. So for me, all other features of OpenShot Video Editor are really fabulous.

Géovanny
Géovanny
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The free and intuitive video editing solution for all levels

Reviewed on 2023/02/16

Pros

As an Openshot user, I can say that there are several advantages to this video editing software. First of all, its free nature makes it a popular choice for beginners or users with a limited budget. Second, Openshot is relatively easy to use, thanks to its intuitive user interface and smooth learning curve. In addition, it offers a variety of editing tools, visual effects and transitions to customize my videos. Finally, Openshot is available on multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux, making it accessible to a wide community of users

Cons

Openshot can sometimes be unstable and can crash or close unexpectedly, which can be frustrating if you're working on a large project. Also, its range of features is not as extensive as some of the more advanced video editing software, which can limit its capabilities for more complex projects. Finally, although the Openshot community is active and often provides updates, support can be limited compared to more popular and commercial video editing solutions. Despite these drawbacks, I find Openshot to still be an excellent choice for beginner to intermediate users looking for a simple, free video editing solution.

Ismaël Huberson
Ismaël Huberson

Reviewed on 2022/11/19

This is so easy to use and edit. Plus it's completely free and I love that.

This is so easy to use and edit. Plus it's completely free and I love that.

Pros

OpenShot Video Editor is a powerful video editor that allows you to create quality compositions using photo, audio and video files. It is a fun and intuitive video editor with a ton of great features. The fact that it is open source makes it a great tool that can be used by everyone. I have used it in a number of projects, the most recent being a video recording of a conference I hosted.

Cons

this software is just great and it is totally free.

Annam
Annam
  • Industry: Insurance

The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 2020/04/06

My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros

Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons

According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Architecte

Reviewed on 2022/10/27

OpenShot Video Editor is one of the best video editing software in good quality

OpenShot Video Editor is one of the best video editing software in good quality

Pros

Good software for good video editing of very good quality that I really enjoyed. It is a good software

Cons

Actually, the editing is very easy, and the videos are of very good quality

Ibrahima Sory

Reviewed on 2022/11/10

Good video editing software with very good performance OpenShot Video Editor

Good video editing software with very good performance OpenShot Video Editor

Pros

More than two years I use this famous software to edit my videos, it is a very good software

Cons

Everything is going very well with no worries, the performance is better

Ousmane

Reviewed on 2022/11/26

OpenShot Video Editor is very nice for editing a video with better image quality

Pros

I have never seen a better video editing software than OpenShot Video Editor. This software surprised me a lot with its quality and speed, it is a very good tool

Cons

Honestly, it is a simple and easy to use software without any problem

Michael
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

OpenShot is easy to use but limited

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

We were using this to put together instructional videos for YouTube. We were able to get the file ready for uploading, but once we wanted to overlay PowerPoint slides on the green screen things became more complicated and not as usable as we wanted.

Pros

The learning curve is very easy on this software! I was up and running within an hour without much research or instruction. Very easy and intuitive, very mouse driven, graphically driven, not pull-down driven.

Cons

The ability to do basic editing is great but there is not a lot more to do. If you need only basic editing it is so incredible easy!! Overlays, text can be done but are not as flexible as I wanted. Tried adding an overlay but it tried splitting the file to fit it in.
Did more research and found out better way to make it work but it was not as intuitive as I wanted.
Was going to recommend to a friend, but after the editing experience I decided to recommend something for flexible and powerful. I have gone back and forth with the software. I love the ease of use but the limitations are troubling.

Shotcut
Leah
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

OpenShot Video Editor - the quick and easy place to go to learn video editing.

Reviewed on 2022/04/07

Have been using it to make quick and dirty videos with a high quality result for over 2 years now, and it's still one of those "I can just do it here" tools I reach for easily.

Pros

OpenShot is quick to download and install, and easy to use - I really like it as an inexpensive and quickly functional piece of my toolkit that clients can use during reviews of their results as well.

Cons

It was a bit non-intuitive to learn how the interface works at first, but when all else failed, I read the instructions, and things got a lot clearer a lot quicker.

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

It was the least expensive.
Iqra
Iqra

The best and Professional Video Editor

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

Video editing is the need for our business because we have to make videos regarding the content and work of our business. So I always compose and make videos in OpenShot Video Editor. There are lots of reasons, the first reason it is free and open-source. Second, the dashboard, panels, and all features are really easy to use.

Pros

OpenShot Video editor allows you to make stunning and fabulous videos. You can import the content like images and videos in your composition. Then you can apply lots of different beautiful transitions and effects. You can add as many layers as you want. The software allows you to export the video with different formats and options.

Cons

For my personal and business needs, OpenShot Video Editor always helped me and I never faced any kind of issue during the use of this software. Especially it is free. So according to me, there are no cons. Everything of OpenShot Video Editor is awesome.

Jeff
Jeff

OpenShot Hits The Target

Reviewed on 2021/12/31

We're able to provide a Sunday morning service to our shut-ins parishioners or those who couldn't make the service in person. Since we started a few years ago, this has been a great method of outreach.

Pros

My favorite aspect about OpenShot Video Editor is it's simplicity of use. I am the Tech Advisor at our church but also the volunteer editor of the weekly services. I am using OpenShot in hopes that one day another parishioner will step up and assist. I don't think it will be difficult to train them on this Editor program once they use it once or twice.

Cons

Perhaps it's my machine but I wish that it would render / export the video quicker. I've gotten the process down to where I do other things during this period (about 3 hours / hour of video), but for the price you can't go wrong.

VSDC Video Editor

Price and ease of use.
Souaibou
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Openshot review

Reviewed on 2022/10/30

Pros

The software is free and easy to use. And even if the features are outdated, it allows you to edit not-so-bad videos

Cons

Lack of cutting means with viewing and exporting videos takes time

miracle
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Best video editor compared to others

Reviewed on 2023/02/05

OpenShot Video Editor is a great choice for anyone looking for a free, yet powerful video editing software. Its user-friendly interface and wide range of features make it a great option for beginner and advanced video editors alike.

Pros

User-friendly interface: OpenShot Video Editor has an intuitive and straightforward timeline interface, making it easy for users to manipulate video clips and add different elements to their projects.

Cons

stability issues when using OpenShot Video Editor, such as crashes or freezes while working on a project.

William
William
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Drag and drop video editing for free!

Reviewed on 2020/04/07

I can add several video clips together to produce one seamless video. I can add dozens of built in transitions. Adding titles is a breeze. Then exporting to MP4 has many choices to meet my needs.

Pros

Drag and drop video editing for free! Love this program. It is simple to use right from first install. I have used other bundled software, and even Adobe products. OpenShot is way better and easier to use.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that is lacking in this product. But I am a nubie at video editing. So that I can create a video from multiple clips and add photos and title is awesome.

Adobe Creative Cloud

FREE!!!
Shemsi
  • Industry: Animation

Openshot the most easy software to use

Reviewed on 2021/10/13

Very efficient and good

Very efficient and good

Pros

Ability to save in dffeent formats and download videos

Cons

Edit function and trimming does not work

DaVinci Resolve

It was easy to operate
jamieal

video editor review

Reviewed on 2022/01/03

Pros

software is great for starters those who are just coming up in the video editing part of the graphics but the software it self is great easy to use and have no problem navigating around the software

Cons

software is great nothing bad about this software

Sagar

Openshot is amazing

Reviewed on 2021/05/23

I am using openshot since 2 years its been a quite amazing experience.its easy and simple to use and edit the videos. I have edited my all videos on openshot and i recommend my team and tell them to use this software which is awesome. Its helping me a lot to become a successful video marketer and YouTuber. I highly recommend this software

Pros

What i like the most is its easy to use, with simple and amazing interface and features. I love the way i edit my videos with openshot video editor . I highly recommend this software because of their easy to use and the simple interface.

Cons

It can be more improved. I believe it should improve their video quality and its should add more languages to make it more easy. Rest of the things i believe easy and simple,amazing to use.

Alioune

Openshot

Reviewed on 2022/11/14

Pros

It is one of the best software to make videos and complete and easy to use. I manage to process my videos well with

Cons

I have had no problems with Openshot and it has lowered the price

Athanase

Openshot review

Reviewed on 2022/09/12

Pros

Openshot is very pleasant to use and allows you to edit your videos to perfection

Cons

Nothing to say on this subject. Openshot has no problem in my opinion.

Michael
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Absolutely worthless

Reviewed on 2022/09/12

Going in, I was told this was a bare bones editor, but I figured that was okay because what I needed to do was very basic. My client did a speaking engagement and the video was in two parts. She wanted me to edit the last bit from the first file to the beginning of the second, so that each part would be all of one of the two topics she spoke on.

This worthless program couldn't even handle that simple task.

The program only recognizes MP4 files as video and could not read the audio from it no matter what I tried to do. It also automatically reduced the video to 1/2 framerate for no reason, and I was not allowed to change it back. It also decided to flip the video (which was taken on a smart phone in portrait mode) to landscape mode, again for no reason, and again I was not allowed to change it back.

As near as I can tell, this program's only use is adding music over still photos. So I guess if you're 13 years old and trying to create an anime mixed music video for your Youtube channel, yeah, this program can do it. For literally ANY OTHER USE, this program is worthless garbage.

Pros

I never found any good uses for this product.

Cons

Can not handle even simple tasks.

Can only be used to add music over still images.

Response from OpenShot Studios

Hi Michael,

I am sorry that you had issues with OpenShot Video Editor.

You probably downloaded our release version, which is over a year old. Our developers are updating OpenShot as quickly as they discover bugs and can add new features.

Would you please try downloading and installing our latest Daily Build to review the newest bug fixes and feature enhancements? You can download our latest Daily build from our website at https://www.openshot.org/download/#daily.

If you have any questions or concerns, please get in touch with our Technical Support Help Desk through Email at [email protected].

Jayla
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

App Is Amazing for YouTube!

Reviewed on 2020/03/23

Nice movie maker, it reminds me of past Windows Movie Makers. I say some features should be updated once in a while but other than that I will keep using this app. Reminds me of Video Pad only better with rending videos.

Pros

The software is best for cutting and editing videos for YouTube, has effects for transition and overlaps files easy without over heating. No watermarks and free! Very thankful this app is available!
Looks like a bad program at first glance but I'd give it a "open shot" Try it out! More people need to know about this program! I use this for YouTube videos when I need to make quick update videos.

Cons

Not a lot of features for music or free backgrounds but thats not an issue at all. I wish the looks was updated more to look less like early 2000s but the program is very useful.

kelvin
kelvin
  • Used for 1+ year

OpenShot Video Editor-Review

Reviewed on 2021/08/10

Openshot is the best video editing software by far because am able to do good editing for my online video easily without having to download expensive and heavy software. hence its free software and opensource too.

It's very and comes with ample features for anybody who would like to edit videos.

Pros

The software is very easy to use, comes with lots of intuitive tools and you don't need any experience to get started in editing videos.

Cons

Though the features are okay, it sometimes crashes when I do editing on lengthy video or I mistakenly use a .wmv format. I least like the blender option required to embed text in the video, that said, it's good software.

Meale
Meale
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

the video editating software

Reviewed on 2022/12/22

a strong software for videos

a strong software for videos

Pros

Openshot Video Editor is a very good software . it is generally used to edit videos

Cons

some editating tools are not really easy and must be explained to new users

Sashana
  • Industry: Cosmetics
  • Used for 1-5 months

Very Beginner Friendly

Reviewed on 2021/01/28

I have really enjoyed using Openshot. I have recommended it to friends and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially beginners or persons who don't want to invest in an over-the-top video editor.

Pros

Everything is very easy to use. It can be used effectively by both beginners and professionals.
For a first-time user, it will not be hard to navigate the software without help from Youtube videos or websites. I watched some videos on how to use the software and I quickly realized how straightforward everything is. The labels are accurate and the pull-down and pop-up menus aren't overcrowded.
I love Openshot's features as well. Its features include, but are not limited to, color correction, visual and audio effects, titles, filters and (my personal favorite) unlimited layering. I love it.

Cons

I love Openshot Video Editor. I've been using it to edit my videos for Instagram and it's just a breeze. However, I'm really missing the chroma key (green screen) feature. If I could use green screen effectively on Openshot, everything would be absolutely perfect.