Duolingo

Learning management system for educational institutions

Sheikh Sakib Ishrak
Sheikh Sakib Ishrak

Home for Learning New Languages in a Fun, Casual Way

Reviewed on 2021/10/26

Duolingo knows how to keep learners motivated. Daily challenges, leaderboards, progress reports, reminders, the app's relaxing theme - everything suits my passive learning style. As the lessons are short in length, I usually get into a lesson without dedicating a long session for it. It has been a great experience so far.

Pros

A wide range of language courses is available to enroll. One of the most attractive things about Duolingo is the way the entire learning process is set up - Gamified, relaxing bite-sized lessons to dive into anytime, even on the go. Progress tracking, looking back into previously learned contents, leaderboards, community to discuss with other learners/experts - everything is well organized and easily accessible. One great part is, anyone can dive in to learn any language without spending money while staying opted out of any advertisements.

Cons

While Duolingo gives a way of learning in a fun casual way in a gamified environment, someone who has a higher priority of learning a language over other activities might find Duolingo's pace rather slow. Sometimes the lessons do feel kind of repetitive. Not everyone learns at the same pace, and I think this balancing still has an opportunity for improvement. The mobile app still lacks various features available in the web app.

Regina

Great Language Learning Software, But Riddled with Ads

Reviewed on 2021/08/09

I have had a pretty good experience with Duolingo. It is a very effective software for language learning. It is easy to track your learning and the learning style is effective for teaching language content. I was able to apply my learning a lot faster using Duolingo as compared to other language learning software. Duolingo is available via a mobile app so you can take your courses with you anywhere. Courses are also very short so it's very easy to get a few done in a relatively short time, so perfect for learning over lunch breaks or other micro-learning sessions.

Pros

Duolingo is very easy to use and very effective. It uses immersion learning like Rosetta Stone but it's more guided. It eases you into the language you chose to learn. Gamification is good; it awards you frequently with gems to be used in the app for various perks. I have noticed that I was able to read content in my chosen learned language much faster using Duolingo than compared to Rosetta Stone. It's also very accessible in the form of a mobile app, so if you install it on your phone, it can go with you anywhere which makes learning much more accessible.

Cons

I don't like how many ads Duolingo makes you watch between lessons. It is distracting to the learning environment. It's not a problem if you subscribe to Duolingo Plus but the free version's ads are very distracting and not conducive to learning. It pushes you toward subscribing even if you don't necessarily want to.

Judi
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Not geared toward slow language learners

Reviewed on 2023/08/23

At first I liked this app. Now I am ready to leave. The more I work, the more I get demoted. I am not being tested or compared to how I have done but by how others do. Not interested in that. Languages are hard for me. By keep making the sentences faster and faster, there is no point in me trying. By hitting the 'slow' button, I hear the individual words - NOT how one word blends into the next. Perhaps there should be three layers as one gets more advanced.

Pros

Early on, i liked Duolingo a lot. There were others who had questions and there was a peer review from which I learned things. I liked the amount it repeats.

Cons

The timed practices. That doesn't test my knowledge of the language I am learning, it tests how fast my eyes go from one column to the other column. And then the right column doesn't even have the right words in it at the same time as the left column. Also, the peer review seems to be gone, so when I get something wrong, I don't necessarily know why.

Susan

Duolingo ROCKS!

Reviewed on 2023/11/08

Overall, I am more than thrilled with this entire program. It's free, it's fun, it's beautifully designed and easy to use. Plus, it has helped my kids work through issues they've had. It saves me from lugging around workbooks and printed sheets, as it's conveniently stored on my phone and their tablets.

Pros

We LOVE Duolingo. I have 2 children in Kindergarten and Second grade, and we use this app daily to keep current with what they are leaning in English, Math and Spanish. It takes the age of your child and magically figures out what they need to know, what they should be learning and gives them tons of practice lessons to keep their skills fresh. And it's fun! I am not a teacher, so this app takes the guess work out of searching for worksheets online.

Cons

I have no complaints about anything to do with Duolingo so far. It has provided help when and where we've needed it for each of my kids.

Karel

My Experience with Duolingo

Reviewed on 2022/06/10

A great language learning app that I would recommend for those who are interested in learning a new language.

Pros

Fun and easy to use.
This app makes learning a new language easy overall.
Gamification is an essential part of what makes this software so good.

Cons

I don't like the fact that learning on this app cannot really take place offline
Also the amount of ads that you encounter after completing just 1 segment is just too much.

Shujaat

Review based on Own Experience!

Reviewed on 2022/07/28

Happy to experience, very convenient for language learning, comfortable to maintain its dashboard.

Pros

interface, languages list as per convenience, its levels are much competitive. Easy to maintain its dashboard...

Cons

Little delays in Speech recognition, skills tend to limiting and translation may confuse rarely.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

New to experience and best for language learning
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

A Fun Way To Learn!

Reviewed on 2022/07/04

I love Duolingo! I did Spanish and French in school but fell off when I decided to pursue a career in medicine instead. Duolingo has truly helped me to reconnect my prior knowledge of the language and to practice in a fun and engaging way

Pros

Gamification of learning
Ease of tracking progress
Vibrant and interesting app design
Competitions with other users

Cons

If you continue to miss your daily Duolingo classes, the email and notification reminders become overbearing and very annoying

Emirhan
  • Industry: Music

Best way for learn easy language

Reviewed on 2022/06/17

The only application I use to reinforce foreign language learning

The only application I use to reinforce foreign language learning

Pros

I can learn a language at any time because I use it mobile. And the abundant practice and private lessons reinforce the learning.

Cons

Although it does not teach the foreign language completely, it provides a very good preliminary preparation.

Rutaba

Best language learning app in the market

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Great experience, learning and reinforcing so many new words, small achievements and shoutouts make me feel good

Pros

You can see progress of friends, easily refer people, go back to lessons whenever more relevant, new talk conversation feature helps with verbal practice more

Cons

Free trial penalizes mistakes harshly, referral bonus doesn't always sync

Rody

Good for learning languages

Reviewed on 2024/01/14

Pros

You can use Duolingo for fun and to learn languages at the same time.

Cons

Duolingo could offer more topics to learn.

Tim

Excellent start for learning languages - Tries to turn it into a game

Reviewed on 2022/04/03

Pros

I dont think i've seen other learning tools and apps succeed in gamification in the same way as Duolingo. This gives a great advantage for casual learners and can help them develop basics of a language as opposed to a standard learning environment.
It also provides a relatively productive way to handle 'slack time' that you may have during a bus, train or underground trip on the way to work or somewhere else.

Cons

The software is great for casual learning. But should you become serious about learning a language to the point of intensive lessons you may find Duolingo lacking compared to a traditional course.

Anne

Best language learning app

Reviewed on 2021/04/29

Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

Shannon

Learn new languages with ease

Reviewed on 2023/07/24

I have really enjoyed learning a new language with Duolingo, it made it accessible and fun and fit into my busy time table.I have completed one tree and now am starting a new language.

Pros

Easy to use with helpful reminders in a busy work schedule.Lessons can be short enough to do on your break or you can do multiple, this can be managed with goals of how much you want to achieve.

Cons

Some parts are repetitive and new ways to learn and be assessed would help with engagement and retention of people using the app.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for latin based languages, bad for others

Reviewed on 2022/12/21

Overall, duolingo is a fast and easy way to learn new languages. Only worth it, however, if you stick with latin based languages. If you have a need or desire to learn something unique like Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, etc, I would steer clear and go with Babble or Rosetta Stone. You won't get far with the lack of a Cyrillic keyboard, for instance. The fact they do not offer this when other language learning companies do is a cop out. I should not have to install something extra on my phone or computer. I should not have to bounce out to a separate window to formulate my text in Russian and copy and paste it into duolingo. Makes it VERY difficult to learn. I am frustrated. This is a fix other companies provide. Rise up and be better.

Pros

Picking up a second language is really easy. The lessons are straight forward, and my Spanish has improved significantly from using duolingo.

Cons

If a language course is going to offer languages that use a non Latin based alphabet -- like Russian, for instance, they should include a Russian keyboard. Babble does this. the lack of this keyboard makes learning clunky if not impossible. I will be canceling my pro plan until they rectify this or switching to Babble where they take the time to do it right.

Alain

Homework, homework, homework

Reviewed on 2022/05/26

My overall experience is good, but not excellent (some of the sentences are kind of weird and not very useful). But it’s a good way to gain confidence on your grammar when it comes to write in a different language.

Pros

I think there are not such a thing of too many tools to help us learn (or improve) languages, so it’s good news that we have apps like Duolingo, one of the best known by the way. And that’s for something. I feel like I’m carrying my English teacher in my pocket, I can do the homework literally everywhere and at my own pace. I think it’s especially useful for beginners or for the lowest level skills.

Cons

This app is convenient and easy to use, but I’m not sure if it’s the best way to gain fluency in a language. I’ve been trying to be proficient in English for a while now, and I find it helpful to learn grammar, writing and reading, but not as much to improve my listening or speaking. Nothing like practicing dialogues and conversation with native speakers to do so, these language apps won’t do miracles.

Andrew
  • Industry: Media Production

Duolingo is changing how people learn language

Reviewed on 2022/12/19

I have nothing but good things to say about Duolingo. It's the first app I open every day, and one of the last apps I use every night. The way they have gamified learning and paired it with AI to customize learning paths, for language learners of all skill levels, is utterly remarkable. I spent 12+ years learning French in school and Duolingo was able to break grammar and conjugation issues that had plagued me for more than 20 years. Merci Duo!

Pros

The way that Duolingo has built a community of language lovers through a gamified learning system is truly worth noting. The customized learning paths created for each user offers language learners of all skill levels to start confidently. Having tried all of the major language learning platforms before landing on Duo, I really can't think of a better place to get your family learning language.

Cons

The only con that I could list is that the profiles could be expanded to allow people to include their social media handles. It would be great to connect with other Duo users on, and off, the platform!

Noelia

Learning languages ​​with Duolingo

Reviewed on 2023/08/14

I have been using Duolingo for many years for different languages. I started with English, then French and now also Italian. I use it mainly as another learning method since I can use it from anywhere at any time. I find it practical and quick to learn.

Pros

Duolingo is great! I learn English in a fun way. Interactive exercises and short lessons make everyday learning easy. It's engaging, accessible, and a great complement to other learning methods. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn a new language in an entertaining way.

Cons

Duolingo is a useful tool for language learners and especially for beginners. Also for those of us looking for an introduction to a new language. But to achieve higher levels it is necessary to complement it with more complete resources, with real life practices.

Barbara
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Bad update

Reviewed on 2022/11/20

I used to love it. I can understand some words on closed captioning on the TV before I read them. I can understand some words my Spanish coworkers use. They just need to slow down.,,as I don’t know all the words yet, but can grab the context of what they are saying. But now I will ever learn a new word as I can’t pass the previous levels I had mastered because they have extremely SHORT timers. They want you to PAY for timer boosts, they have gotten greedy and want money. I have sent feedback several times and have NEVER received an answer.me hence the review. If they would’ve at least contacted me and explained their reasoning..I may not have been so harsh., but seriously their update SUCKS

Pros

I used to love it. They updated it and have timed reviews to pass a level. I have to pass everything before I move on. I cannot move on with only one star. It BUGS me. You need three stars and they do NOT give you near enough time. I make so many mistakes rushing. I am about to drop the course

Cons

The lack of time to get the three stars

Regina
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Duolingo is the best and most intuitive app for learning languages ​​the fun way.

Reviewed on 2022/11/22

Overall I consider it to be the best way to learn a language, both on the website and in the app. Learning is light and often you don't realize you're learning. The visual is quite beautiful and attractive, the colors, the images, audios. Learning becomes easy and the best: free of charge.

Pros

I've been using the app for over 9 years and it was with it that I was able to learn two languages ​​and now I'm taking on an even bigger challenge, which is learning Korean. The practices are always a lot of fun, the audios and images help us to better assimilate the vocabulary and this makes learning practical and efficient.

Cons

A negative point is the difficulty of reporting errors so that they are resolved on time. Mistakes often happen that take away a life and the answer was correct. I know the idea is to have repetitions, but I could change it for more vocabularies and even add basic expressions to improve learning even more.

An easy and interactive way to learn a new language

Reviewed on 2023/06/18

Pros

Duolingo offers the opportunity to create a strong foundation when learning a new language, by offering some theoretical information, through practical exercises (dialogues, grammatical exercises, short stories, etc.). For me, the most helpful feature was the audio lessons, where you can hear how words or specific letters are pronounced, also it gives you the chance to practice your speaking skills; afterward giving feedback (right or wrong answer or pronunciation).

Cons

Overall, the app is very easy to use and understand, but I would love the see some improvement in the theory section; for a beginner, with no knowledge of the new language, it would be beneficial to have more information about phonetics, orthography, common exceptions and general grammatical and linguistic theories.

Melisa
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Love Duo!

Reviewed on 2022/12/19

I love duo! It helps me to keep learning and is fun and easy to use! I find the stories are really nice for 'real-world' applications of using the vocabulary. Honestly, highly recommend!

Pros

Duo is so easy to use and fun! It keeps me accountable and helps me to remember words that I may otherwise forget if it wasn't for the good timing! I like that it's a quick daily lesson and that Duo sends reminders if I fall off from Daily use. User friendly, cute graphics, and most importantly useful for language learning!

Cons

There's very little that I would list as a con with Duolingo. I use the free version so not all features are unlocked, which works for me, but you do have the option to pay to unlock more features.They give you the option to flag answers that you believe may have an error, but it does that a while for those to be reviewed.

Zakaria
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

that's why i use Duolingo to learn any language

Reviewed on 2022/04/22

overall experience, I would say that Duolingo has such great results, and everyone should use it.

Pros

Duolingo is a really common software to learn any language as a beginner, it has multiple versions, you can use it on your mobile, computer, tablet...

Duolingo is using great technics to make learning easy for you, there are audio exercises, short stories...Duolingo has a great rewarding system, to make you really motivated to learn, you can practice any language you want anytime and there are no limits, the thing that I really liked more,
that the app is always in touch with you and sends you notifications every day to remind you of your lessons, to be honest, the software is soo fun, I really enjoy it, and i use it most of my time.it has such a big impact on our lives.

Cons

the thing that i liked least, The ads.
I don't see that ads are a good idea, and i think that can be affecting people while learning and distract them.

Délcio
Délcio
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Duolingo is the world's best Language learning software.

Reviewed on 2022/12/03

My experience using Duolingo is the greatest. This is the most fun and intuitive way to learn languages. As an English teacher, I always recommend it to my learners. And they also have the greatest experience. You can trust. Try, and you will be amazed how it will change your life and language skills!

Pros

Simple and intuitive interface, nice illustrations, and test, easy frases to complete, great learning system, and much more options. Duolingo is definitely the best software to learn a new language. I love it.

Cons

Some ads just appear many times when you're learning on the free mode. But I think it's not a big problem. It's just a question of patience. When you don't pay, you just have to wait some seconds, while you see a new website and choose to visit or ignore. So, this is not so bad at all. You just keep learning after you skip the ads.

Dorota
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Great for getting familiar with a new language

Reviewed on 2023/09/21

I find it helpful to pick up the basics of a new language and don't feel completely lost in a foreign country!

Pros

It's a fun way to kick off learning a new language. The courses are well thought and the repetition helps to consolidate the knowledge. It has a very good design and is easy to use. The community aspect is also motivating.

Cons

The languages to learn are quite limited if my native language is not English. The progress tracking changed more than once which can be confusing. I also wish there were more in-depth explanations of some theoretical aspects.

Angela
  • Industry: Newspapers

potential bots use in leaderboards

Reviewed on 2023/08/26

I have been taking courses on duolingo since July 2023. Until recently I was very happy with duolingo overall. I am genuinely interested in learning a new language and truly happy that duolingo is helping me learn. I have dedicated time daily to my learning. I make a very conscious effort to set time aside in my day and in my life to use duolingo to learn a language. I paid for a subscription and as such I expect not only to use this services but to learn and understand how my learning journey is progessing. I encouraged my friends to use duolingo. This week I came across a supposed user in my league who not only came out of nowhere – I have not seen them in previous leagues, but who is surpassing fast in every lesson and accumulating points with a speed that is incredible. I am pretty good but I do not thing it possible to achieve the equivalent of five units in one hour. So I looked into bots and there are a few discussions out there about Duolingo supposedly using bots to increase the time users spend on the app. This made me lose confidence in this appIt is frankly insulting if this is what Duolingo chooses to do. Increasing competition between real users is a great idea. Using false users to do so is paramount to laughing in our faces and taking the efforts we make learning a language for granted. In the future, I will not recommend this to anyone.

Pros

easy to understand and follow. tips are good although there could be more

Cons

Potential use of bots that came up recently.