Unity

Application and game development software

Edwin
Edwin

Unity Review

Reviewed on 2022/09/15

Pros

It is very beginner friendly and easy to use. I like that you could bake lightings and make the scene look more realistic based on Real-Time Lighting Baking

Cons

It sometimes crashes without any reasons. Progress is always ruined by these moments.

Best tool for Newbie & Expert Game Developers

Reviewed on 2019/11/11

My overall experience with unity is quite good, as Ive been working as a Game Developer for over an year, it makes things easier to do, got alot of help through unity forums, and the asset store covers almost evert aspect of Game Development.

Pros

Things I like the most about unity is its user friendliness, the UI is easier to understood, is more RAM friendly, and the asset store will cover all your requirements if you dont have enough time to create everything from very scratch.

Cons

Cons about the software is its compatability issues, as it happened many times that the project starts misbehaving after new update, so i mostly avoid the tool upgrades.

Reasons for Choosing Unity

Unreal Engine UI is a bit difficult to be understood as a newbie, and is quite RAM eating software

Reasons for Switching to Unity

I will choose unity over other resources because of availability of both paid and free resources on asset store of unity, and is quite easier to use and manage however you want
Andreas
  • Industry: Animation

Easy to use, with a catch

Reviewed on 2019/06/28

Unity works, and you can make games with it. If you are a programmer I'm sure many of my cons do not apply to you, and if you have a full development team and a budget, even fewer apply to you. For the lone developer looking to take their first steps into the industry though, it can be daunting and frustrating. Power through, however, and you'll be able to make a full game that could kick start your career.

Pros

-Unity is free
-Unity is straight forward
-Unity provides small developer teams the ability to make games
-Unity provides an asset store to acquire high quality assets for game design
-Unity can create AAA quality titles

Cons

-Unity has a fairly poor reputation you may have to fight through when selling a game
-Unity allows "asset flips" that both harm Unities reputation and saturate the marketplace with poor products. This harms consumer trust in Unity games, and may make your product a harder sell.
-Unity asset store isn't well regulated. You can purchase something that does not work.
-Unity has multiple built in features that are simply useless, or outdated, requiring you to search for replacement assets or create your own.

David Jonathan
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

My Unity Review

Reviewed on 2024/02/04

Good. Easy for beginners it is a good introduction in the world of making a game and other programs

Pros

The most easiest and accessible engine for all

Cons

The subscriptions in unity where people who only wants to code that doesnt have enough money cant buy the engine

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Is Unity a good game engine to start with or migrate to?

Reviewed on 2023/03/05

Very good, if you ever wanted to learn game design Unity is definitely the way to go, everything feels like its made easy, there are plenty of tutorials and Unity the documentation is very easy to understand and follow along.

Pros

It's free for startup projects and you only need to start paying after your game makes a considerable amount of money, easy to use, out of every game engine Unity has the biggest community which means there are a huge amount of tutorials and people that can help you if you're ever stuck. Documentation is also really good and easy to follow along.

Cons

When I started to work on CI using Unitys cloud services I struggled a lot and there isn't much support on the CI end so it kinda feels like you have to figure things out on your own there.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

Unity is more widely used and has a helpful resources online compared to other game engines.
Justin

Everything You Need to Get Started

Reviewed on 2023/08/28

I am still a huge fan of Unity and hope to see it continue to flourish. It has been rocky at times, but we have stuck with it and made several games in game jams and prototypes that we continue to refine and expand upon.

Pros

Unity is easy to use compared to other game engines, free for your first $100k, and has plenty of features and great documentation. It is a great place to start and has a vibrant community and asset store to add and integrate anything you might need for your next game project.

Cons

Lead times on bug fixes can be long (sometimes months to years) and some of the issues seem rather apparent to have been missed in testing or reviews.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

Unity seemed easier to use and quicker to get started that Unreal, which felt overwhelming and complicated
  • Industry: Computer Games

Unity is a superior game development solution

Reviewed on 2020/02/17

I'm several years into developing games and AI in unity and I don't know what I'd do without it.

Pros

I love having the ability to use such a huge range of 3D development and design skills and techniques in one place and it is totally empowering in that I can model, animate and code all in one place. And the peicing structure is awesome.

Cons

It's a huge learning curve. And sometimes plugins will just stop working on an update. But it's worth every bit of effort it takes to manage it.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

Vibe, price, and also I tested unity first and fell in love and never wanted to change.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used for 6-12 months

Still learning and loving it!

Reviewed on 2021/06/10

my overall experience is very positive. The platform is constantly being updated and new tools and technologies are added all of the time. I love the community as well.

Pros

Unity has a wonderful and helpful community of professionals and newbies. I haven't felt nervous to ask any question there. The tools themselves are easy to understand if I give myself the time to learn them and concentrate. Also there are a lot of add ons and toolkits that can be had to make my ideas come to life.

Cons

I really found the different versioning of the software a bit confusing. There is a version manager where you can update Unity but it also allows you to keep an older version in case your app is effected by the updates in Unity. I had a few problems with uninstalling older versions and they took up a lot of space on my hard drive.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

I chose Unity over Unreal because of what my developer friends were suggesting. I wanted to keep it easy but I also wanted something that I could grow into. I feel that I made the correct choice.
Josh
Josh
  • Industry: Design

Awesome Game engine to get started in Game Development

Reviewed on 2022/05/19

Great and free game engine to learn game development and it has a huge community.

Pros

I like that there are tons of developers that use Unity so there are tons of classes and tutorials on how to use things. It is an amazing deal for those beginning as it is free.

Cons

Not that this is specific to Unity but if you don't know much coding it will be a lot of work to learn and so it has a large learning curve though the coding is actually harder than the interface. The Unity interface has a learning curve but really isn't bad.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

Unreal has a much higher cost to start so starting out cheap you have to go with Unity.
Paruhang
Paruhang

Amazing for Indi development

Reviewed on 2023/01/21

I have been using unity to test out different algorithms like "a star" and "ant colony" along with visuals representation using characters and environment for presentations.

Pros

Its a light weight modular engine and the learning curve is not that steep. The allover environment is easy and comfortable to use. Its the best for a Indi or a small team.

Cons

I have to keep going through the assets stores for finding the best plugin for my work.

Panagiotis
  • Industry: Media Production

Not just a game engine

Reviewed on 2019/10/25

I started by making my own game engine and related tools back at 1993-95, in DOS, using Assembly and Pascal. I was successful and I created some small games that we used to play with my friends from the neighborhood. Later I embraced the 3D Construction Kit, an early attempt to a commercial 3rd party game engine and editor. That was awesome and the era of digital creativity was just starting.
After many years, when I created my own company and team of creatives, I was searching for a game engine to adopt as a development platform for us. It was the time before Unity become successful and famous and I remember that I payed for the license through my own PayPal account to the previous Unity's CEO PayPal directly, and got an installer attached in an email the next day. For some reason I had faith on that team of developers and their product (Unity) seemed to be just right on my needs and philosophy. I was a Windows developer at the time, but Unity came only for OSX back then. So I also purchased an iMac to be able to test the development with the Unity editor.
So many years passed from then and I saw Unity grow, from nothing to the behemoth of a company that it is now. And their technologies and tools grow with them.
My overall experience with Unity is great.
Unity is extremely steady for such a huge development environment, and the editor's interface is well organized and has enough abstraction to make learning the environment easy and intuitive.

Pros

I guess many things that I like from Unity, is that the creators of this software keep an open mind as to what game technologies are and how they can be used. I always felt that I think in parallel with them.
What I mean is that, I always thought that technologies used in games can be used in many more aspects of the society and I don't mean only for the entertainment media industries.
The Unity authoring environment keeps this philosophy even after many years of their initial offering to the public. Being a truly open ended authoring environment, that allows the its users to be free as creators.
With Unity almost anyone can build video games, interactive experiences, research applications, powerful media presentations, interactive media that cross boundaries between the digital and the physical.
The interface of the Unity editor makes is easy to import various media types and connect them in an intuitive way, and it is also extendable via scripting, to make your own tools and workflows, if you need that extra mile in your pipeline.
Another thing worth mentioning, is that from early on, the developers of Unity, understood that community driven solutions are also a great way to extend a product. So they created the Unity Asset Store, in which they curate a vast collection of tools and content that is created daily from the creatives that support the Unity community. That adds a lot of value to the product both ways, user and supplier.

Cons

Unity in general is an excellent software and is offered in tiers that relate well to any level of user. From the free to the professional and beyond, the price is right and the features are awesome.
In reality, I don't have a specific bad thing to mention about Unity, but from my experience I can guess what might count as a negative to some subset of its users.
First of all, and topmost at the forums and discussions, is that Unity now is a huge company and not the kind of company that was when they started at the beginning. This brings positive value, as Unity now can offer much more platforms for the creators to bring their projects and to provide a vast amount of technologies and workflows for any creative person or team at any industry. But to have all that, a company has to be huge, and with that comes a little de-personalization in the company-to-customer affairs. That means that a user needs patience when it comes to receiving support from Unity, especially on technical issues. Personally I don't mind and I accept the trade of personalization in order to have a very powerful interactive media authoring environment, that can really make whatever I wanted it to make.
After all, if you need urgent person-to-person support, there is a paid option for that too, so professionals who really need that service, can get that too.

GameSalad Pro

Reasons for Choosing Unity

Unity offered a more open-minded solution that feel parallel with my philosophy on creativity and the digital media industries. Their business model and price tiers are accessible for my company. It allows me to experiment in various fields without prior knowledge and to create prototypes very fast together with a remote team.

Reasons for Switching to Unity

Unity offered an open-minded philosophy on what interactive media is and they look beyond the horizon of making video games, linking technologies and industries to create an authoring environment like no other, where the only limit is your imagination.
Sean
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Unity is a great alternative to Unreal

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Its been great. I don't have a finished product that is to be published yet, but Unity has given me all the tools necessary to do so!

Pros

Being able to create games is an amazing ability. and Unity makes it a possibility.
- The graphics are amazing
- The amount of tutorials on the internet allow you to become very familiar with the product in very little time.
- The possibilities are only limited by your own imagination and or computing power lol
- The licensing deals when you actually get around to publishing your game are very reasonable.

Cons

Like most high-end game creation software, the demand for a computer with great processing power and expensive video cards is a must. If your machine isn't up to the task, creation using Unity can be troublesome.

Unreal engine has more in-depth tutorials online and their node system is very easy to learn but Unity does a good job making a name for it's self against the giant that is EPIC Games.

Gareth
Gareth
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Unified game development framework and IDE

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Does an awful lot for you in terms of game development while still giving the developer options such as how much to define in code or via the UI.

Pros

Good integration with Visual Studio (the scripting language is C#).
Takes care of scene management and the entity component model while providing enough that can be controlled via the UI that non-coders can get working results.
Excellent documentation and new user on-boarding with lots of tutorial and starter content and assets.

Cons

Would be great to have a built in paint program for creating quick placeholder sprites when prototyping 2D games. In the latest version a lot of the 2D tools need to be installed via the package manager (such as 2D Sprite Editor and Tilemap) even when the project has already been defined as 2D - would be better if there was another project type which had these pre-installed.

Gonzalo
Gonzalo

Where the Indie game developers thrive

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Unity is overall a beautiful piece of software that came to do much of the heavy lifting on low-level tech stuff, allowing smaller teams to develop faster and better games in less time, opening the market to more and more people worldwide.

Pros

Unity is, out of the box, a beautiful piece of software. Is the kind of middleware that arrives and does the job, the missing link that most of Indie and small game development teams were looking for.

Unity has made it simple and easy to develop a game for beginners and experienced users alike and the most important, allowing you to build your game to a plethora of platforms. Now a small team of developers and artists can build and publish a game in several platforms in no time.

Unity does great for small and mid-sized projects, I really enjoy prototyping with Unity, even when I know I won't use it for the project itself I like to use Unity to build prototypes because it's easy and fun. The interface is really easy to use, a real playground for developers and artists alike.

Their documentation is vast, well-written and constantly updated. Same with the API documentation and the tutorials that will walk you through making a game end-to-end in few hours, the community forum is also helpful when something is not working and you can't work your head around it. The Unity store has also proved useful when I didn't have the time or knowledge to develop some assets I needed for the game.

Unity was also helpful in developing apps beyond games, like architectural explorations, interactive art installations, AR showrooms, etc. Overall a great engine that does much of the heavy lifting for you.

Cons

Sometimes I felt that the process of upgrading was quite difficult and scary, you have to install a separate instance of the program (taking a lot of space) and some of the projects can be really difficult to adapt to the new version. Some of the assets will stop working and you will find your console full of errors that weren't there before.

Another issue is version control, the binaries are pain and still, I haven't found any alternative than committing blindly the scenes, for example, without being able to track what changed from commit to commit.

After a few projects, I have found that the app optimization for mobiles is not that great. For example, if you don't meticulously take care of the textures and assets max resolution you can end up with an app weighing a few hundred megabytes. Could be great if the build itself included some optimization towards the assets.

Binigya

Unity - Creating a new generation of Games and Game Developers

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

I really love Unity, and it has remained my default choice in making any game, be it a simple 2D platformer or a realistic Spaceship simulator. My experience with Unity has so far been fantastic, and I can honestly recommend it to anyone who wants to make games.
It would not be an overstatement to say that Unity is responsible for the boom in the increasing number of game developers, and has made game development accessible to everyone, to a certain extent. It is a wonderful tool to learn and master, and with AR and VR seeping into mainstream apps and games, learning Unity seems to be a valuable skill for anyone to gain.

Pros

Unity is THE game engine you need to be using if you want to speed up your game development process. It makes deploying to multiple platforms a breeze, the User Interface is a delight and the games you can make with it are only bounded by your imagination.

Here are some of the highlights of my most favorite things about Unity:

- Great Community : You can find a great community for Unity everywhere, whether it be Reddit, Discord, Stack Overflow or its own forums. It really easy to get help and ideas on anything that you want to implement with it. This is by far Unity's greatest strength.

- Learning Curve, UI/UX : Anyone can easily pick up Unity, and get started on making simple stuff really quickly. You can find tutorials and guides in any corner of the Internet and the UI is pretty much to-the-point and now with Visual Scripting via Bolt, the barrier to make great games is lowered even further.

- Chock full of features : Unity is fully loaded with awesome features. In-built tools for rigging, animation, terrain generation, Lighting, AR/VR support and much much more.

- The Asset Store : You can get pretty much everything you would need to make a game in here. Art, Code, Music, VFX, pretty much everything is up for grabs here, so that you outsource some aspects of your games if your are short on time and skill. It is a lifesaver. And there are plenty of high quality free assets here too.

Cons

There is little to not like about Unity. It has made game development accessible to many and is opening up new possibilities with its AR and VR toolset. But, there are a few niggles here and there as with any tool, some are minor and some are unfortunately, deal breaking.

Some of the things that I like the least about Unity are:

- Too much of Half Baked Features : Unity is full of features, but some of them are really not meant for production, and some are straight up confusing and keep changing with every version. The animation pipeline is frankly kind of complicated, with all the new tools that keep on changing. The HDRP/URP pipeline still doesn't support custom hand-written shaders. Switching between HDRP and URP can possibly break your project (Always have a backup ready!), and the Shader Graph and VFX Graph still need much work. And finally, the new DOTS system has been in development since couple of years and is still not production ready and complicated to learn.

- Sub par Rendering when compared with competitors: When comparing Unity with AAA game engines like Unreal and CryEngine, the rendering pales in comparison. It has been fixed to some extent with HDRP, but still you need to do a lot of tinkering to get the graphics to look like what you get by default in Unreal Engine.

- Web Deployment: Web Deployment is still not satisfactory as Web builds need to be of small size and run on mobile browsers too, both in which Unity fails.

Alihan

Unity in Diversity

Reviewed on 2022/12/01

Overall, Unity is that it is a powerful and versatile game engine that is easy to learn and use. It has an extensive library of features and tools that allow developers of all levels to create games of all types quickly and efficiently. It also has extensive documentation, tutorials, and support available for developers to help them get the most out of the engine. Unity also has a wide range of platforms, including PC, mobile, console, and virtual reality, so developers can easily reach a wide range of audiences.

Pros

Unity is a great product. It is incredibly powerful and versatile, with a wide range of tools and features that make creating and developing games easier than ever before. Its intuitive drag-and-drop editor allows users to quickly create stunning visuals and complex gameplay mechanics, while its powerful scripting engine enables developers to create highly customized and unique experiences. Additionally, Unity's Asset Store offers a wealth of free and paid assets, including models, textures, sounds, and scripts, that can be easily integrated into projects. This makes it easy to find the perfect asset for any project. Unity also offers a wealth of tutorials and resources, making it easy to learn and master the software. All in all, Unity is an invaluable tool for game developers, and I highly recommend giving it a try.

Cons

The main downside of using Unity is that it can be difficult to learn and use without prior coding knowledge or experience. It also has a steep learning curve, so it can take time and effort to become proficient in Unity. Additionally, Unity can have performance issues if not used correctly, which can result in laggy or slow game play. Finally, Unity is an expensive engine, so it may not be the most cost-effective solution for those on a limited budget.

Rony

Empowering Game Development

Reviewed on 2023/06/23

My overall experience with Unity has been nothing short of remarkable. The engine's extensive capabilities and user-friendly interface have empowered me to bring my creative ideas to life with ease. The flexibility to develop games across multiple platforms has opened up endless possibilities for reaching a wider audience. The vast library of assets and plugins available in the Unity Asset Store has been a game-changer, saving me time and effort. While there were occasional challenges with learning the engine and optimizing performance, Unity's supportive community and comprehensive documentation have been invaluable resources. Unity has truly been a catalyst for unleashing my creativity in game development.

Pros

Unity impressed me with its exceptional capabilities, making it my go-to choice for game development. The versatility of the engine allowed me to bring my creative vision to life with ease. The intuitive editor provided a seamless and efficient workflow, enabling me to focus on designing captivating gameplay experiences. The extensive library of assets and plugins in the Unity Asset Store saved valuable time and enhanced the quality of my projects. The supportive community and comprehensive documentation were invaluable resources that fostered my growth as a developer. Unity's power, flexibility, and supportive ecosystem have made it an indispensable tool for my game development endeavors.

Cons

While Unity offers incredible capabilities, there were a few areas that left room for improvement. One drawback was the initial learning curve, especially for newcomers to game development, which could be overwhelming. The engine's performance, particularly on mobile platforms, occasionally posed challenges and required optimization efforts. The documentation, while extensive, could benefit from more detailed examples and tutorials for complex features. Additionally, the subscription pricing model might be a limiting factor for some indie developers on tight budgets. Despite these shortcomings, Unity remains a powerful and versatile game development engine with immense potential for creating captivating experiences.

Lee
  • Industry: Computer Games

Is unity the best Game engine?

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

When I was considering a game engine for my projects I looked at several different engines such as Unity, Unreal, and CryEngine. By far the easiest engine to use was Unity. There were many people telling me that Unreal would offer better graphics capability but with the advances to the Unity platform, it is getting to pretty even. With the new pipelines that Unity has in place, a developer can choose the pipeline that makes sense for the type of game they want to build. From tiny games to full-featured high-end games Unity has an option for the pipeline. Overall, I am very happy with the Unity platform and will continue to use it for my development projects. I particularly like that with the available paid assets in the asset store even if you can’t program very well you can get a visual scripting extension and still make a complete game using node-based programming.

Pros

Pros

Unity is really easy to get started with. There are a number of tutorials online made by Unity that allow you to learn while doing. The game engine has access to an asset store that currently has many free assets available for download to use in your projects. Over the past few years, Unity is continuing to develop a better engine with more tools to help developers make great games no matter the skill level.

Cons

Cons

It’s not really a Con but if you create a product that nets you more than $100,000 in revenue you have to upgrade to plus or pro versions that have a monthly fee to use.

Sheikh Sakib Ishrak
Sheikh Sakib Ishrak
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Great Game Engine for Indie and Professional Developers

Reviewed on 2020/10/31

Unity has a large user community base who can share their knowledge to help out others. From beginners to advanced developers can feel at home and jump right in with Unity. I've worked with my team using Unity Teams cloud feature to allow team workflow without the need of working face-to-face together. Overall Unity has been a reliable fully featured Game Engine which can be used conveniently for cross-platform game development.

Pros

Unity has a wide range of learning materials available for free which can be helpful for both beginners and intermediate/professional users. Indie developers can get into developing and publishing their games even without worrying about budget with the free version of unity and the available free assets. Unity has a wide range of advanced features which can be used to implement any type of creative game idea. Opportunity to import 3d models and assets from 3d creation software (Blender, Maya, etc.) is useful. Various Unity plugins can be used based on requirement.

Cons

Unity is more resource-intensive than some other game engines. Using it in low-end devices might not always be feasible. migrating projects built in older Unity versions to newer versions can lead to compatibility and technical issues in some cases. Also, keeping multiple Unity versions installed locally can take a lot of disk space. Premium features like high-end asset packs, Enterprise license functionalities, Teams Advanced, Server licensing, and Advanced Cloud Diagnostics could've been cheaper.

Ali
Ali
  • Industry: Animation

A fantastic, fairly simple game engine with tons of scope and potential

Reviewed on 2020/05/07

Overall my experience with Unity has been very, very good. I have used it in a wide variety of jobs and sectors, from mobile apps and PC games, to conventional software and animation demos. It is easy with a small learning curve and there is so much potential to use Unity to build just about anything, it's a pleasure to use.

Pros

What I like most about using Unity are two main things. The first thing is its sheer ease-of-use - it's quick and easy to build playable prototypes and work that can be debugged in real time, thanks to its component system and C# IDE integration. The second thing is that there is tons of potential to make just about any software or app using Unity, despite it being primarily known as being a game engine. Mobile apps, conventional software and games are all easy to build using Unity.

Cons

What I like least about this software is its occassional unreliability - particularly to do with compilation failures and occassional crashes when using external packages using its built in Package Manager. It is not always made obvious as to why crashes occur and why compilation is not always possible when using external packages and it can be difficult to debug at times. There is also no autosave feature that I'm aware of which is a problem.

Thomas

Great for 2D, Good for 3D, features are okay, pricing is mostly fine

Reviewed on 2023/11/20

Overall its not as bad as some people will make it out to be. Its a strong competitor and having competition is good as it leads to quicker innovation and ultimately a better tool for developers. The pricing is great for smaller teams and if you dont like the runtime fee, simply use a version lower than the 2023 LTS one.

Pros

The barrier to entry is £0. The personal subscription is free and you can (soon on the 2023 LTS version) make $200,000 with no fee. The runtime fee changes in 2024 shouldn't scare you as for most of us they are irrelevant and aren't bad at all. As for features, i find that its best for 2D games but has also improved a lot in the 3D department. This is also due for a further upgrade with Unity 6. The asset store is also huge and has all sorts of plugins, characters, templates, etc... that you can use how you'd like.

Cons

There is more of a learning curve. The UI has been improved but some bits could do with more tweaking. Plus its C# with a not as good blueprint (no code) option compared to other game engines. This means that you will need to learn C# to a much higher degree and can make the learning curve quite high and slow.

Gorjan
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Unity is a must leading engine

Reviewed on 2023/09/05

My overall experience I would say four out of five. I am satisfied with using this engine and can't wait to see its changes and find new features.

Pros

My experience using Unity dates back a long time ago since I started to gain some knowledge and skills in its area. This contemporary engine is built with passion and dedication in order to demonstrate a high level of capabilities and to open up as many opportunities as developers would wish, both in the path of building games or apps. If I have to pick only one thing that I love about Unity is definitely its clean design.

Cons

From both my experience and my friends who have been using it for years, Unity (read UnityHub) is not something that I will recommend to a beginner, therefore it is quite a complicated system and requires a certain high level of knowledge. The company should be working on this issue.

Aniirudh
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Unity is simple yet powerful tool for developing cool VR games

Reviewed on 2022/08/01

Overall great as it serves my purpose well.

Overall great as it serves my purpose well.

Pros

The learning curve is not very steep. This is the thing I like most about this product. It may not better when compared to Unreal Engine but the USP of Unity is that it is simple to use and yet can help us design cool VR games. I personally use it to design immersive VR engineering experiments for research and it is definitely serving the purpose.

Especially with assets that can be just imported, Unity is a very useful and simple tool for everyday development.

Cons

The cons are mostly not enough features as compared to Unreal Engine 5. Even though Unity is immersive, it's details when it comes to Ray tracing and other minute details are no match for Unreal. If Unity can improve its details and immersion, it can seriously compete with Unreal just because it's easier to use.

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Great game engine for small and large projects, in constant evolution and with a huge...

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Unity allowed me to easily try new concepts quickly without compromising a cent (like GM2 which is limited until you pay) and then, move from a simple concept to a full project easily. The code version storage (cloud) is perfect if you have a laptop and desktop so moving the code from one play to another can be done just with 2 clicks--literally, and it's integrated on the engine interface!

Pros

Even without a visual scripting (like GMS or UE4), Unity is in my experience the easiest engine to learn. Additionally, newcomers can move really fast from creating simple games to more advanced creations. The documentation is really useful and installer includes Visual Studio which is just amazing for the task. Unlike other engines, Unity can run on older or less powerful machines (as dev or player). Also, the community is supportive, collaborative, lots of tutorials and documents can be found online.

Cons

My only complain is how official tutorials are made. They are great to show the overall of the engine functionalities but not to understand the context of each element. It's more like step by step on how to achieve something instead of why are we using the stuff used on the tutorial to achieve it. They are useful, but they could go a lot deeper.

Chrystian
Chrystian

Easy to create videogames(main focus), AR, VR and apps, with tons of features. Has a big...

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

Fast and iterative process.
Easy to start making videogames (although knowing the bases helps a...

Fast and iterative process.
Easy to start making videogames (although knowing the bases helps a lot)
Cross platform compilation adn prodcut development
Lots of variety on the projects you can do with it.
Big community and nice support.

Pros

Easy to use and do most of the heavy lifting necessary for videogames creation, and other media related software. It is cross-platform (build once deliver in multiple platforms) and its super effective to create game prototypes and iterate over them. It has a very big community and a store with a lot of user created content where you can find a lot of features out of the box besides the ones in the engine.

Really good tool to start AR/VR and videogame development.

Cons

The compiled files for mobiles are bigger than more simpler engines, but it gives you way more tools to work.

Its easy to use, but you still need some technical skills.

The pro license is expensive, but they take none of your royalties.

It's hard to achieve AAA game results, for that to happen you need some serious skills.