Canvas X Draw

Write a Review!
Graphic design software for editors

4.5/5

Paul

Canvas X Draw

See above

See above

Pros

In a prior life, I used Canvas for about 10 years when it ran on a MAC and PC. Then for whatever reason they stopped marketing the MAC version of the software. Myself and my coworkers were disappointed because for the most part we were a MAC shop. I retired from the position and in retirement I started working part time for one of my former graduate students. About the same time, the world recognized that MACs could run Windows, therefore I got the windows version of Canvas X. My application was to convert our spectral data into figures which, in turn, could then be published. My experience was a was a bit unsatisfactory. Not with Canvas X, but the weird (to me) intricacies of Windows.

I took an enormous sigh of relief when I discovered Canvas X Draw. I use this program almost daily. It is virtually the same as the PC program but with secure, easy to use, and reliable interface. I am not an engineer, rather I am a PhD chemist, and I don’t use all of the complex capabilities of Canvas X Draw. One critical aspect of Canvas X Draw is its stability. Without that facet, I would not use the software. So far, I have gone through two updates and nothing was broken … the updated program worked flawlessly.

In summary, I have used Canvas software for many years, and to me, I find the Canvas X Draw version to be the best. I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

So far I have no issues in the software that I would describe unsatisfactory.

Response from Canvas GFX

Thank you Paul!!!

-Canvas Team

Frank
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Canvas for technical illustration

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Too bad this format doesn't allow me to share my work product. A picture would be worth a thousand words.

Pros

I began using Canvas in the early 1980's when it was only available only on the Mac. Eventually they created a version of Windows, and it was just in time, because our firm was switching from Macs to PC's in order to gain access to AutoCAD. I never learned to use CAD, but I continued to use Canvas almost daily in my work as a project manager. I also used it at home on my Mac for creating every kind of graphics design from business cards to business logos to birthday cards to architectural sketches and many others. For a while, they stopped selling Canvas for the Mac, but the company continued to support my copy and even sent me upgrades for free. Now they're back on the Mac with Canvas X Draw, and I'm still a loyal user.

Cons

I was very sad to see them abandon the Mac, but grateful for their continued support. I've seen tools for distorting raster images (by pulling at the corners) in other packages, even in simple software aps on my iPhone, so I know it's possible, but it is not available in Canvas. It's their glaring gap. Otherwise, for technical illustration, Canvas is just about perfect.

Robin

Long time user

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

Pros

Easy to get started with. Does not require monthly subscription. Many file format options

Cons

Difficult learning to use some of the draw tools.

Scott
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Long time user

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

I have owned Canvas since version 1.02, published in about 1986 (ran on 1-2 400k floppies on a 512k Mac Plus). I’ve always liked the ability to integrate vector and raster objects seamlessly in the same document. As a scientist, I’ve used it for experimental apparatus design (medium-scale cryogenic gas phase photochemical apparatus) as well as personal projects such as workshop and garden design. As soon as it came out, I dropped MacDraw and (eventually) MacDraft. I even had a PC emulator installed on my Mac so I could use the PC version after support for the Mac was dropped in the 2000’s.

Pros

The upgrade to 7.02 was available almost as soon as macOS 11.1 (Big Sur) was issued. This dealt with the problem that I observed opening new or previously-created files under Canvas Draw X 7.01

Cons

I think there are two improvements that would help me, personally, out. First, I miss the object info tool (command-i) that tells you the kind of object (group, rectangle), dimensions, area, etc. This hasn’t been available since probably Canvas 7 or so. Second, I’m now trying to design a house, and a tool that would make walls (and allow wall joins and insert windows, doors, etc.) would be great, although I realize that it’s a complicated tool, and may cause some issues in pricing and marketing.

John

The All-Purpose Graphics Package for Design Professionals

Reviewed on 2021/01/28

Background: architect for 45 years. I have used Canvas since ver. 1.0 and frankly was lost when the Mac platform was dropped some years ago. Very glad to have it back! Things I have successfully used it for include: Years ago, my company website - exports near-perfect html; original artwork, large scale prints for my client's completed buildings; design and technical drawings; asbuilt surveys of existing buildings (importing a cad or pdf and overlaying scaled information); an on and on. To my knowledge, there is really no other package that offers the same range of functionally. Is it a substitute for Autocad or Revit? Of course not but it also doesn't cost $$$$ and require weeks of training.

Pros

In addition to producing occasional technical exhibits, artwork layouts and other documents, X Draw is great for non-CAD users who occasionally need to produce or edit scaled technical drawings. One of the best features is the ability to import a pdf of an architectural drawing as a background for new shop drawings or technical bidding documents. Drawing layers are preserved and can be manipulated, and scale can be set to match the original document. Area and quantity take-offs are a breeze. Add photos or other illustrations? Not a problem.

Cons

It is cumbersome to create new pdf files necessary for final use. For example, if there are 30 files of drawing sheets, I have not found a way to batch process the conversion. Each file has to be saved as a pdf. It would be much more efficient to be able to "print to pdf" directly from the Canvas file, which is the defacto standard for virtually every other productivity app.

David
  • Industry: Machinery

Versatile does what i need

Good.

Good.
I use Canvas at work for: Machine drawings, Electrical Schematics, Hydraulic Schematics and some Maps. And at home: Project car parts design, Household projects like Christmas cards and Training myself how to use Canvas.

Pros

I have been using Canvas for MAC since 1993 version 3.5. With the latest update Canvas X Draw ( Version: 7.0.2 Build: 7069 ) runs smoothly and has many powerful features. I think i have purchased every possible version of canvas for Mac since 1993.

Cons

The thing that most upsets me is it appears i can no longer have a copy on my work computer and one on my home computer. I get this message at home: This computer has been deactivated from your membership. This is a problem because at home is where i am able to play with Canvas and figure out how it works. Occasionally drawing project car parts or just learning.
At work i can go months without opening Canvas. When i need to use it I shouldn't be messing around trying to figure out how to update a machine drawing or an electrical schematic. Often with someone hovering behind me waiting for me to produce a drawing.

A feature i used often in the past appears to now be completely gone "Duplicate to a line" It was great in Version 3.5. Later versions didn't allow as many duplications and now it appears to be gone completely.

It is difficult for me to TILE print a large 1 to 1 scale drawing. I would print it on separate pages and then tape the pages together to create a full scale template. I used to do this occasionally to make templates to be used by the welders when constructing a machine. I know the feature is still in there but it is hard for me to find it every year or two when i need it.

By the way I keep a 15 year old Mac running OS 9 in my office to access all of my old Legacy early Canvas drawings that the newer versions of Canvas can't open.

Douglas
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Best combo raster-vector software for Mac OS

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

Pros

The title of this review states the best feature for my use - combination of raster and vector. I typically use Canvas X Draw to develop figures for environmental science/engineering reports. Many figures have a raster base (airphoto, topobase, etc) that I place vector objects and text upon. Sometimes I'll use output from a data graphing program as a vector base, placing vector and text as an overlay. I also benefit from having used the "Canvas product" on the Mac OS for more than 20 years and my familiarity with the user interface.

Cons

Minor complaints - (1) page setup (sizing, magnification, etc) could be more user friendly/explicit, (2) the latest version of Canvas X Draw (version 7) keeps asking me for my license key, (3) the Auto Trace function is cumbersome and often doesn't allow me to make editable objects from raster images, (4) the latest version of Canvas X Draw (version 7) does not open some previous "Canvas" formats, (5) conversion from AutoDesk (CAD) formats is quirky.

ken
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Happy Canvas User Since 1995

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

Pros

Canvas is still what [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] once called the 'Swiss Army Knife' of graphics programs.

When I was first using the Mac in 1995 I was shocked that between Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop it was impossible to actually send a client a fax using either program. I needed to be able to send sketches with accompanying text. Illustrator wouldn't allow me to enter pixel based images, and when it eventually did I couldn't edit them, and working with type in Photoshop was, and still is, an unintuitive nightmare. Canvas solved that problem brilliantly, allowing me to both edit pixel images and work with blocks of editable text.

Here's a more recent example: clients often send me as a PDF complete designed layouts of packages that need me to add an illustration. If I attempt to open them in Illustrator I'm told I can't because I don't have the fonts. But the default in Canvas has always been to ask if I'd like the fonts converted to outlines, which I immediately do, allowing me to place pixel images that I can still edit in Canvas in the layout and email it back exactly how it will look printed.

Canvas has saved my skin in many other ways as well with its willingness to open and edit such a big variety of files.

Cons

The vector tools aren't quite as useful as those in Adobe Illustrator.

Anthony
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Canvas firever

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

As a Mac user of Canvas since version 1 in the 1980s it was a relief that a new Mac version came along and saved me from using a virtual windows machine. It’s great for providing documentation and build instructions fir our electronics. I use it to bring all sorts of information together into one document.
Much slicker than other programs that can do the same.

Pros

Handles lots of file types, although sadly can’t export cvx. Mixes images and vector objects really well. Struggles with character position when opening pdfs.
Lots of new features that have helped with 2D design.

Cons

Still crashes occasionally. Still some bugs that have been around for decades.
Imported files don’t use the default units.
Can no longer set up the keys for particular operations. Can be done through the OS but it’s not as slick.
Could do with zoom on mouse wheel.

Klaus
  • Industry: Design

Good Product

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

I am glad that it transitioned from only being available for the PC environment for several years since I had to keep an older MAC OS on a second computer and never felt as comfortable in the PC version as I am in the MAC version. The question below about switching from another product to Canvas X Draw is yes since it was from Claris CAD to Canvas to Canvas Draw to Canvas X Draw

Pros

Since I have been using the Canvas design product for over twenty-five years, (at least) after converting from Claris CAD, I have enjoyed the flexibility between the vector design aspects and the pixel modification (paint type) aspects of the program. For me it is very versatile.

Cons

I have no cons since I am not into computer generated CAD.

Michael

Missing more file exports and Clip Art

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

This product fulfilled most of my requirement as the original Canvas. It is my main object drawing package. Learning curve easier than Illustrator. Fits my engineering background better.

Pros

Is a cooky cutter knife to annotate many types of files and change them from one format to another

Cons

I am an old Canvas using before you bought it. I have a very old version running in VM with on an old MacOS server. It allows me to use the included clip art CDROM that was provide with the original Canvas before you bought it. I like some way to access this from you version.

You do not have an Adobe AI import/export or an eps output. This is useful to embed object graphics in work processor documents (e.g. pages).

Lennart

Canvas X Draw as a Mapping tool

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

So far it has been what I expected, a positive experience!

So far it has been what I expected, a positive experience!

Pros

I have been using Canvas for Mac since it first appeared some 30 years ago, The ease of use, appropriate tools made the program unique in creating overlays of other maps, aerial photographs and satellite images. Canvas GIS was a great innovation which unfortunately not yet (???) returned to Mac. It.is a drawback for my current project on the coast of Kenya.

Cons

I miss the the GIS compatibility that exist on the PC version, particularly to import shape files as base maps or geocoded satellite data. Hopefully you will fix it for us! We are many geographers, like me, who has been addicted to maps with coordinates.

Michael
  • Industry: Wireless

Best Design Layout software for Mac

Reviewed on 2022/01/20

We have used Canvas since the beginning. This software is crucial to our survival as a business. We are also able to make any document or brochure exactly the way we want it. The software is powerful yet easy to use.

Pros

This software allows us to open any image, PDF, schematic, drawing or any other image to incorporate in our technical documentation. We rely on this software everyday to design communication systems while keeping the scale of the original document. We could not prosper as a business without this software.

Cons

This software has all the features and more than we can possibly use.

Fred

Long time user of Canvas

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

One of the most complete and easy to use drawing software programs out there. I can do full architectural with saves to different formats for easy portability. Would love to see a 3D module available some day.

Pros

I've been using various versions of Canvas since V1.0 (yep, late 80's) on the Mac. For awhile it was exclusive to the Mac but during ownership change went over to windows. It was still a great piece of software but limited to PCs. The current ownership brought it back to the Mac but it doesn't have the full functionality of the more sophisticated version on a PC. Nonetheless, Canvas X Draw is an excellent piece of software and I can do everything I need to on it. Eventually, I hope they give it the full functionality of the PC version of Canvas.

Cons

Just would like to have the full features its big brother Canvas has on the PC.

Martin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Really versatile software. Could use a little more development.

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

I have been using Canvas since it was a Desk Accessory on Mac OS 6. I LOVE being able to create/edit aster and vector graphics in one application.

I am not a "graphics pro" more of a "layout worker" but Canvas has been my goto app for decades. It got lost for a while and I had to switch to CS, which I hated. I was so happy when Canvas came back to the Mac!

Pros

My one stop shop for design, layout and working from scratch.

Cons

The handling/selecting of fonts could use a little help. It also occasionally fails at laying out page sizes and handling PDF or AI/EPS formats.

There are occasional license issues and the support can be awkward because of the smaller team, but it always gets straightened out.

I seem to work with tables a lot, and this is not the best software for that. I can get the job done with some effort.

Jeff
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Canvas X transition to Canvas X Draw

Reviewed on 2021/01/27

I enjoy the ease of using Canvas X Draw because many features are similar to Canvas X. I'm glad to see Canvas products return to Mac users.

Pros

The feature I like most is the ability of Canvas X Draw is the ability to easily crop images while reducing the memory associated with the image. In my opinion Canvas X Draw is more user friendly than similar software programs.

Cons

While files from Canvas X can be opened in Canvas X Draw the reverse is not possible.

Robert
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Accurate & useful

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

Been using Canvas at least 15 years, my woodworking designs would be much more difficult without it.

Pros

I make fine furniture, Canvas X draw gives me the ability to make highly detailed drawings for every project.it is easy to set custom scales, to put dimensions on every piece that I need to cut or fit.

I have also used this app to make brochures and playbills for dance studios. Easy to incorporate images with test. Also have used this app for detailed engineering drawings for flood measurement projects.

Cons

There have been several problems I ran into, however, they all were due to my mis-understanding how something works.

Gérald

Excellent!

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

I like this software, because it is "forgotten" when you use it

I like this software, because it is "forgotten" when you use it

Pros

Ergonomics, stability, ease of use, thank you for your work

Cons

In the very first versions, we had the drop-down menus displayed in French. This feature is lacking for French speakers to better use your software

Johan
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Feeback from a longtime Canvas user

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

I make many technical drawings with Canvas and it's my go-to program for making 2D drawings of objects that I then import into Fusion 360 and then on to 3D printing and CNC routing.

Pros

Very versatile, good file format compatibility, excellent for 2D technical drawings, many unique features. Wish list - better/quicker Mac development, 3D support.

Cons

The interface feels dated. I would prefer if the standard keyboard shortcuts adhered better to industry standards (ie Adobe). Metric sometimes feels like an afterthought.
I've used Canvas since the original version 3, development hasn't been particularly impressive since then (20 + years...)

Luis
  • Industry: Higher Education

Problems using Canvas X Draw after updating to Big Sur

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

The main concern/complain is the lack of total support after upgrading to Big Sur. No response to the link provided after the company was sold to a 3rd party. Very upsetting. If this is not solved promptly, I will consider switching to an alternative option!!!! You must improve your support and make sure that the software package works with the latest version of the Mac iOS. And please do not take weeks to make it to work with the current Mac iOS. Otherwise it is a waste of my time and money!!!!!!!

Pros

Long term user, very familiar with the software package.

Cons

Software is fine to me as it was when I was able to use it before updating to Big Sur!

Gary
  • Industry: Design

An All-Around Tool for Illustrating

Reviewed on 2021/01/28

I have used Canvas for years, and needed an upgrade so I could access my older illustrations. The new version operates on my new 64-bit Mac and has all the features and capabilities (and perhaps new ones I have not discovered yet) of earlier versions. I have tried other apps, but they fall short of what Canvas can do.

Pros

Its versatility and capability to accomplish a wide variety of drawing/illustrating

Cons

The photo cropping tool is not very intuitive

Min
  • Industry: Higher Education

A very good software

Reviewed on 2021/02/03

I have been using this software for scientific publication for the last 20+ years. I can't find another one that is better. I haven't had any problems with the current version (the previous beta version for Mac Big Sur does not work well with Powerpoint and occasionally quits by itself.)

Pros

Has many features but be easily operative.

Cons

Bring all parts together for a composite figure, and each part can be feasibly controlled in size, moved in precision, labeled feasibly, and aligned well.

Fred

Canvas X Draw: versatile and user- friendly interface

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

Canvas X Draw has been extremely important in my drawing geologic maps and associated geologic cross sections and diagrams.

Pros

Its interface and tools are user friendly and relatively esay to learn and use especially for users who go all the way back to old Canvas 3.5.

Cons

There are more crashes than I expected, but almost all data are saved when crashed occur. There are times when some of the tools/shortcuts fail to work (e.g., cloning).

Alain

Drawing everyday documents
that need illustrations and text
with complete positioning freedom
in one package

Pros

Replaces Photoshop Illustrator and Indesign
for companies that do not need perfectly exact compatibility
with big printing companies

Cons

A bit slow on following Apple new system versions

ERIC
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Longtime user

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

I have been using Canvas for designing parts for my business for over 20 years. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to use compared to other drafting programs. Does everything I need it to do.

Can be used to review Files sent by AutoCad users

Cons

Has occasionally crashed causing me to lose unsaved work