OBS Studio

Jeff
Jeff

Tie-ing It All Together

Reviewed on 2021/12/31

Pros

It's ease of use. We have a production team that, may I say, are not the most technically advanced but are able to follow simple directions. OBS Studio allows us to easily record our Sunday services directly from the Google Meet streaming service presented on the OBS Studio laptop. Once Google took away the ability to record (this was removed for non-profit accounts), we switched over to OBS Studio, and have been happy ever since.

Cons

No Cons about the software. The only Con is that we have to use another piece of software to record our Service instead of a direct download from Google Meet. OBS has come through for the last 16 months.

Hans
Hans
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's bad. There's another reason almost every streamer...

Reviewed on 2021/06/29

Overall, we had a really positive experience with OBS after some initial misgivings. We plan to use it every semester now for our capstone classes. This is a good exercise for our broadcast majors who are used to working in a live studio. I think it also taught them to me a bit more mobile and flexible when working with online video.

Pros

I looked for a livestream solution for a long time and talked with a lot of paid programs, such as Livestream and XSplit. When I learned there was a version of OBS for Mac, I took the plunge and tried it. I can't believe how easy it was. We used it to livestream a web show for our capstone project magazine Valley REality. The students were quickly able to figure out how to incorporate text overlays and multiple cameras in the stream.

Cons

There were some issues with connecting the livestream to Facebook and I wish there was an easier way to test the stream before we published it. We had to look up some things online to determine how to preview the stream.
We had an issue connecting some cameras, but that wasn't an issue with OBS. That had to do mostly with the cameras. We also had some of live video get really choppy on the livestream and we weren't able to find a solution just by googling it. It would have been nice to have some live support to help with this, but I understand as open source software, you have to rely on the community.

Donna
  • Industry: Cosmetics

OBS is great for LiveStreams

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

If I was still streaming on Twitch, I would still be using OBS. I tried Streamlabs after trying OBS but didn't like the way it ran. Too many hiccups .. so I definitely recommend OBS for streaming.

OBS is also REALLY amazing if you want to record a webinar that you are working because it allows you to record your screen.

Pros

I used OBS for streaming on Twitch. I liked that I was able to integrate my own layouts and have them show up on my screen. I also loved being able to change back and forth between scenes.

Cons

OBS is challenging to use. I had to watch several YouTube videos to make sure I was connected correctly. I feel like OBS should come with a user manual to make it easier for tech noobs.

Matthew T.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Power product

Reviewed on 2023/12/26

Our producers use this product on a daily basis for capturing content in the field for their broadcasts and they love it. It is super easy to use without much of a learning curve. The interface is very intuitive as well.

Pros

The product is extremely easy to setup and use with its intuitive user interface.

Cons

I have nothing negative to mention about this product at this time.

David
David
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used for 1+ year

Customizable and Reliable

Reviewed on 2021/06/21

We had a great experience using OBS out of the gate, but ultimately went with something with a more streamlined user interface.

Pros

OBS was a great first-try for our streaming worship services. We were able to download it and set it up quickly in response to COVID. It captured audio from our console well and worked with our cameras well.

Cons

The user interface for OBS is a little clunky until it is fully customized, which takes time. It is also harder to train new folks on using the software, and it is especially difficult for folks who aren't used to video recording software.

Vimeo Livestream, ProPresenter and vMix

Reasons for Switching to OBS Studio

At the time, we initially chose OBS because it is free and was quick to install.
Tinotenda
Tinotenda
  • Industry: Telecommunications

If you want to stream and record, OBS is the best software

Reviewed on 2021/11/06

OBS is an awesome online streaming software that I have also used to record my lectures and to record my game plays. All these features are available in OBS for free. As for the me it is the best recording tool out there.

Pros

OBS is a great tool for streamers, because it can stream directly to Youtube. Gamers for example can play, record and stream with the app to Youtube. It is also free and has all features that a professional streamer needs. It is very flexible and easy to use.

Cons

The add-on management needs a bit of improvement

Abdulmajid
Abdulmajid

Very Useful Broadcasting Software

Reviewed on 2022/09/09

Since 2020, we have been able to reach thousands of viewers and followers with our services with the help of OBS

Pros

OBS can capture multi screen, capture multi windows, include pre recorded videos, can livestream, can overlay text. The product is easy to use if learnt properly. On initiation of the program, we were able to integrate with all our previously used software which enabled continuity.

Cons

The implementation of subtitle is still very difficult in the software.

vMix

Reasons for Switching to OBS Studio

OBS was absolutely free, and you can build your platform as you desire.
Rolando
Rolando
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The best Free and Only Broadcasting software

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

i love it, its free, offers more than paid software, lots of tutorials everywhere to use it and it uses the least resources from software i used

Pros

Its free!!!
so many forum post and youtube videos to learn how to use it
the most popular application
does everything paid applications like xsplit do
auto configuration wizard for easy set up scans your system and internet and bases it on that
plug ins/add ons you can find on the web are easily install able

Cons

nothing, there is nothing to dislike about free software that works and does more than paid programs like xsplit and action.

Matteo
Matteo
  • Industry: Entertainment

Amazing Video Streaming/Recording Software

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

I love this software from simple to not-so-simpre productions.
Great for everyone have streaming...

I love this software from simple to not-so-simpre productions.
Great for everyone have streaming necessity, but also a little bit comfort with Video Setup and configuration.

Pros

This software is really useful for Live events and Local Recordings Streams.
I used this amazing application for work: fro Live streaming an event with multiple sources, to Live Stream my Teching sessions (while I recorded it).
There are a lot of useful filters and quality enhacer.
It's an impressive useful tool for Streaming Producion.
It's Open Source (Free) and the community is really active and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes a little bit triky to obtain some goals, and maybe a little bit difficult for unexperienced user.
It's Open Source and updates are not constant.
There's not so mush preset Out-Of-The-Box... you have to (can) customize every aspect.

vMix

Reasons for Switching to OBS Studio

It's FREE and Open Source and it has an impressive quality and growth potential.
Sarah
Sarah
  • Used for 2+ years

Multiple functionality in one web streaming software

Reviewed on 2021/05/14

It's a great software for web streaming, comparable to zoom in many ways and more

Pros

Multiple functionality streaming, screen recording etc

Cons

Software can freeze over sometimes while in use

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Bring remote teaching to the next level

Reviewed on 2021/03/17

By using OBS forums and some Youtube videos I got started in a few days and could manage my online lessons by myself, giving them a more professional and effective touch. I then learned how to bring outside speakers and computers into the show, and the possibilities were amazing.

Pros

OBS Studio is a free video editing software with lots of helful functions for live sessions. You can set up multiple shots (close-ups, half-length, etc.) and bring multiple elements into your scene (e.g., another computer screen to use as background, an external camera, even a co-host that is broadcasting via his/her cell-phone and that you can put next to you on the same screen!). Features are almost endless, but you have to learn about them via the product's forums and install them as separate addons. The whole thing can be connected to Zoom, Teams, Skype etc (OBS may start a "virtual camera" that you can choose as a video source within each of those softwares). You can use captions, filters, etc... and switch shot by just pressing a shortcut key (e.g.: F1 is the close-up, F2 is the external co-host, F3 is the Powerpoint presentation, etc.). It brings new life to your remote teaching, providing effective solutions and keeping students involved and entertained. Although it may take a while to learn, i found it an excellent investment.

Cons

Like many video-editing programs, it is CPU- and memory-hungry and eats up a lot a PC resources. Accordingly, it may freeze or crash if your PC is not strong enough to cope with the load. The fact that it is open and community-developed does not help. There are commercial alternatives that are more streamlined but less flexibles (and expensive), and you may decide to turn to them at a later stage.

Jason
  • Industry: Music

Not only FREE but intuitive

Reviewed on 2022/11/18

I absolutely LOVE OBS Studio. It's like a gift from the heavens. It's completely FREE with the option to donate to its development because it is an open source program. All it took to get started was to watch a few how-to videos on YouTube for the setup I was going for and BOOM! We're in business.

Pros

OBS Studio is FREE. Let that sink in. It also does more than other paid software I've used in the past (Bandicam). I can screen record and live stream it to social media platforms. If I need to capture the audio coming out of my Digital Audio Workstation, I simply have to put a plugin called Reastream from ReaPlugs at the end of my master channel to route the audio out of my DAW and into OBS Studio.

Cons

It can be a little tricky to setup how you want it but YouTube has a plethora of how-to videos showing you how to setup OBS Studio in various configurations.

Philip
  • Industry: Media Production

OBS is a tremendous option for LIVE Streaming to either Facebook or YouTube

Reviewed on 2021/11/22

It's been a bit of learning curve and some things are a little difficult to to figure out (it's not a very intuitive user interface) but overall it works well. I'm able to live stream on two of the platforms I am on most often and I can do this with a bit of finesse which is important to me as a video professional.

Pros

The ability to create multiple scenes and switch between them while live streaming. Each scene can be either a pre-recorded video source (thus giving you the option of going "Live" with a taped segment [or segments]), a camera (live video source) or a static image.

Cons

The inability to create a playlist of scenes so that I could more easily go from one to the next. OBS seems to require me to select a preview and then switch it to live. I'd rather be able to fading a sequence of scenes and then just press one button to go through them.

Wirecast

Reasons for Choosing OBS Studio

OBS is a lot less expensive and has a similar feature set for my needs.

Wirecast

Price
  • Industry: Design

OBS Studio Review

Reviewed on 2023/02/14

As a Graphics designer I have to create some content for my business, and Obs studio helps by screen recording.

Pros

- If you are looking for the best quality screen recorder software Obs studio is your answer.- High quality screen recording and it doesn't even crush your computer.

Cons

No complaints here, This software is the best and well designed/ made.

Casey
  • Industry: Media Production

Best streaming software on the market

Reviewed on 2019/10/31

At the time I switched over to OBS, I was using the now defunct "Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder" (a mouthful). OBS was a massive improvement over existing streaming applications for a multitude of reasons.

FMLE was showing it's age (and lack of support). XSplit was a heavyweight when it came to hardware requirements. And other software on the market was obscure and occupied the same space as XSplit.. only XSplit did it better.

And then came OBS. Free, lightweight, open source. It was fantastic. I've never used another streaming app since.

Pros

Well for one, obviously the price tag- can't go wrong with free. But not only is it free, it's lightweight and simple. I've taught many people how to stream using OBS.

Cons

The interface can be a bit of a pain to use. It's a little too simple in my opinion. Some more functionality baked into the main UI could go a long way. This is mostly solved with the "Streamlabs OBS" version, which is built on top of OBS.

Honestly it's been a while since I had to use the profile functionality, but admittedly it was a bit lacking when I did have to use it.

XSplit Broadcaster

XSplit Broadcaster

OBS Studio is the best Free Computer Screen Recording Software

Reviewed on 2022/07/13

At first I could not understand the settings of OBS Studio, but after practicing it several times, doing live broadcasts, adding effects and adjusting settings each time, I was able to get an excellent experience from it, it is enough that it is free and offers very high quality sound and picture

Pros

Yes, there are many programs that offer screen recording, but the problem is that some of them are free and paid and the free programs do not contain enough features to inspire you to use them, so I will shorten the topic for you and tell you about the wonderful OBS Studio program that contains features that I love and use a lot on my device and all of this Open source and free
An easy-to-use and flexible program that offers you high-quality audio and video, and does not take up much space on the device as it is very light and does not pose any weight on weak devices, and supports live broadcasting on more than 20 different platforms, before saving the broadcast, you can also use various video editing tools to edit it.
One of the features that I liked and used a lot is the feature of adding audio filters directly during broadcasting without the need to use external programs, in addition to the presence of many filters for image improvement, color correction, and others.

Cons

Sometimes while doing a live stream with OBS Studio, the stream gets stuck from minute to minute, after which it goes back to working fine
There is also difficulty in the beginning to adjust the settings, but after practice you will get used to it

Andrei
Andrei
  • Industry: Computer Games

The best free recording and streaming software but not without problems.

Reviewed on 2020/05/25

OBS saved us money from buying a paid software for recording and streaming. The community providing tutorials is quite big so it was kinda easy to get into using the program. It may be a bit more complex than other programs but that's also a con and a pro.
As long as you know that some applications won't get recognized and you'll have to use a display capture you're good using OBS (some programs from the competition have the same issues)
This might sound weird and impossible but it would be great if they had a way to not film the OBS frame using a display capture for people with only 1 screen.

Pros

OBS Studio is a great free application for recording and streaming.
The best thing about OBS is the amount of customizations, settings, and options you have along with the plugins. This can also be a problem however (read more in Cons).
A great improvement to OBS is that for a few updates now it has Twitch UI integration where you can setup your stream info and talk to people on their chat.
There are a lot of recording/streaming options and the studio part provides great tools for long streams where you must also act as the director moving from one camera to another, adding transition effects, moving text, etc.
The amount of plugins available makes integrating with Twitch, Youtube, etc work really well especially if you're getting donations.

Cons

My biggest problem with OBS is that certain games are not recognized so the only thing to do is to use the display capture. This is quite an issue since not all streamers know of this and as a game developer myself I can see how this could hinder some people from streaming/recording our products.
Another con would be that there is no basic mode to set things up, even though they have an Advanced tab in the settings, the "basic" settings are still quite advanced.

Zachery
  • Industry: Law Enforcement
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Streaming made easy

Reviewed on 2019/11/11

Positive, I have been a streamer since Starcraft 2 came out and will continue to be one into many more games. This software is amazing for being free.

Pros

For a free product this is what I use to stream. I like that it is pretty simple to use, easy walkthroughs, it's pretty much click, click ready. But the best feature has got to be how easy it is to make each layer overtop of the other. My stream has 6 layers Game,Webcam,greenscreen, followers screen,donation screen, and gamer tag. Each super easy to set up and super easy to maintain.

Cons

I don't like that it is very demanding on your pc when you start running everything through it, but then again it is a streaming software, and free so who am I to complain.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

One of the best free recording and streaming software

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

When making videos for YouTube OBS make it less stressful by reducing additional editing steps. This is because the scene can be set prior to recording by OBS' editing features.

Pros

OBS Studio is free, cross platform (Windows, Mac and Linux) and open-sourced. This makes it more transparent in terms of security. And also there is a powerful community of developers backing the project which means that more features are added regularly and fewer bugs.

The software has got some awesome features packed inside a decent and optimal user interface. Users can highly customize their scenes with text, images, videos, webcams, display or window captures etc. Also users can add unlimited number of scenes and switch between them seamlessly while recording or streaming.

The audio mixer is so simple yet powerful with features like noise suppression, gain etc. The layout of the interface could be rearranged or undocked out of the main window to use on a separate window space. The recordings can be saved in multiple formats and settings. Customizable hotkeys could be used to arrange shortcuts.

When it comes to streaming, OBS allows hassle-free streaming across popular platforms. Account set up is easy and the streaming quality adjusts automatically based on the connection speed.

Availability of a powerful API for integration with numerous plugins and scripts makes it more versatile and functional. Video conferencing could be made more interactive with video input from OBS Studio virtual cam tool. There are various filters available for videos like cropping, masking, color keying to remove backgrounds etc.

Cons

When it gets to settings and advanced adjustments in some features, most people gets confused with the technical terms and values. It is always better not to mess with the default values.

On some devices there is a problem the with the screen recording that it becomes completely black. This can be solved by adjusting the system's graphics settings.

The streaming software par excellence

Reviewed on 2021/07/21

Having this free software at your disposal is almost mandatory to have it on your computer, since possibly at some point in your life you will have to use it, and more than that we are already living in a digital age where it is completely based on making videos where you can record and save it, or just try to be a streamer and broadcast live from any platform you want to direct your stream to.

Pros

It could be the best platform for streamings in the market, since it has all the necessary tools to have a quality stream, since it has several advanced functions to be able to adjust your stream to your liking, and also to be able to manage the use of the ram and processor that your computer is consuming with the use of time.
It could be said that at the beginning, the interface may scare you a little, since it is very technical and you will have to get used to the tools displayed, but with the passage of time you will get used to it, and be able to make an excellent stream.
It adapts to computers with low resources, thanks to the fact that this software is very light and does not consume much towards our equipment, this advantage could be the main one said by famous streamers.

Cons

It might be quite technical and have several settings which you might not understand, but it is enough to know what they work for with a simple tutorial that there are thousands on the internet, and that is enough to be able to familiarize yourself with the software.

Jenn
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

OBS Studios is the X-Factor for Recording

Reviewed on 2023/07/29

My overall experience was extremely positive with this software. OBS Studio is a dream come true for content creators, streamers, and anyone looking to capture or broadcast their content. With its user-friendly interface, limitless customization options, and low resource usage, this software has become an integral part of my content creation toolkit. I highly recommend OBS Studio to anyone looking for a reliable, feature-rich, and affordable streaming and recording solution.

Pros

Using OBS Studio was a welcoming experience for me. First of all, what you get as a user for free is outstanding in itself. One of the standout aspects of OBS Studio is its extensive customization options. The software provides a wide array of sources to capture, including display captures, webcams, images, and even browser windows. The ability to create multiple scenes and seamlessly transition between them has elevated the quality of my streams to a whole new level!

Cons

Well again, OBS Studio is open-source software, making it accessible to everyone, regardless of their budget. If I had a con for this software, it would be a few rare times, my screen froze up a few times when I was adding in layers in the main screen.

Michelle
  • Industry: Entertainment

Anyone Can Become A Broadcaster

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

I am relatively new to live streaming - I didn't even know something as sophisticated as OBS could be obtained for free! It's not necessarily newbie-friendly. You are expected to kind of know what you're doing or at least go read up on the processes. There is a ton of support in the way of user groups, online tutorials, mountains of user-created videos explaining how things work, and there are lots of add-ons and some pretty cool forks of the project as well (a fork is a branch off from the original open source program that's being developed in a slightly different direction). I play in a band and we recently began live streaming one show a month and OBS has been instrumental in this project.

Pros

Open source and still free, supported by 3rd parties, lots of great informational and instructional videos on YouTube because this software enables anyone to create online broadcasts, so yeah, they're gonna be on YouTube, lots of integrated extras, runs on some less robust computers.

Cons

The only problem I have experienced that wasn't user error or learning-curve related is that I own more than one Chinese import action cam and OBS identifies them both as by the same name (because they have the same internal components) and if the software, or the cameras, or the computer gets turned off and back on (power outage, cable comes loose, you take a break and Windows updates and reboots your computer while you're asleep) OBS cannot re-identify these cameras reliably and often gets them mixed up. It is possible that the computer identifier for these cameras is where the lack of distinction comes from, but it's annoying enough that I have since gone to using only one hardwired camera and everything else is IP cam to eliminate this problem of constantly having to guess which iteration of "UVC Camera" is cam 1.

Dinuka
Dinuka

Powerful Screen capture tool with lots of functions

Reviewed on 2021/09/10

Before using OBS I used the windows game bar to record my screen. But as you know it consumes lots of storage and I have to use third-party applications to compress recorded videos. After getting to know about OBS Studio its been really easy to do my job. I used this to record lectures done by my teachers also I recorded my screen while I'm giving a lecture to my friends also. It contains so many functions like adding filters to reduce background noise, screen filters etc. Also, Im using this software to live broadcast on Facebook when I'm hosting webinars. I also stream games through this software. Its been really simple for me to use this software after I saw one or two tutorials on youtube. Finally, I want to say that I was totally satisfied with this program and I will give it 10 out of 10 for the functions it contains.

Pros

It's Open-source
Powerful video recording (screen capture)
live streaming
Optimized for games
Facebook and youtube support
Frequent Updates
Many functions included

Cons

The software is a little bit advance and needs to go through tutorials to be familiar with it.
Live streaming while gaming needs a high-performance computer.
But for normal recordings and screen captures it is one of the best software.

Shari

Perfect Software for Multi-Screen Recording and Audio Capture!

Reviewed on 2021/07/02

My overall experience with OBS Studio is more than highly satisfied! It can do everything that I needed it for. Will not be switching to anything else!

Pros

What I like most about OBS Studio is its ability to capture multiple screens into one main screen! You can hide screens/videos as well—which is useful if you want to have multiple screens/videos in the same spot of the screen. You can stack them on top of each other, hide all of the screens/videos and play each screen/video one by one. Hopefully that wasn’t confusing to read and understand *laughs* but it is a genius software for all of your screen capturing/recording needs! I personally use this for Twitch and would have my Xbox screen, Safari screens and a Google Chrome screen all showing on my main screen in my own way! I would have my Xbox screen and Safari screen on top of each other, and whenever I wanted to display the Xbox screen I would hide the Safari screen and vice versa.

Cons

It did take a little bit of YouTube video watching and Googling to adjust certain settings with my MacBook, as its easier to use with a Windows computer. For instance, to audio capture into OBS Studio with my MacBook, I needed to install an audio capturing software called SWB Audio Capture and select the multi-output option in my Mac’s audio settings—selecting my microphone and SWB only and deselecting the MacBook audio. Then going into OBS Studio’s audio settings and selecting SWB Audio Capture as the Output. So it does take special adjusting to work with a MacBook, but it is very possible.

Stefano
Stefano

The best tool for recording your screen

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

I use OBS almost on a daily basis for work, and even more often for personal purposes. At first I had some trouble setting it up, but after a few minutes it's really straightforward. I can now record my entire screen in its original resolutions, with no watermarks, completely for free. Honestly

Pros

The product is completely free, with no limitations. You can immediately start recording from multiple sources at once, with a fairly nice amount of customization in terms of the options you have. File formats, encoding, streaming, and so on. You can also create your own shortcuts to start streaming/recording. More functionalities are also available for users who need more control.

Cons

Shortcut seem not to always work on the first hit, and some users might find it difficult to use the more advanced functions. Sometimes records a blank screen when trying to record over videogames or other programs running in borderless fullscreen.