iMovie

Video making software for graphic designers

Melanie
Melanie
  • Industry: Graphic Design

As a student...

Reviewed on 2023/10/27

Although I am now an Adobe AE and Premier user, I say using iMovies to make transitions and videos with little text, I will always recommend it and will never stop using it.

Pros

I recommend it 100% for those who have no idea about editing and want to create content without any experience. Thanks to iMovie, I got really fond of editing, and when it helped me a lot to create quick projects for class. I think it's a very easy to use program and I like that you don't need to learn how to use it beforehand. In both formats (iphone/ipad or imac), it is super useful, although it should be noted that on the computer you have more options for editing and use.

Cons

Personally I am not a fan of the default ones, I find them out of time. I think the design team could update them, and make them more modern, in this case I think I would make more use of them to facilitate the work and time. I would also like the way of editing to be more free and not so limited, but for what there is now, it is enough to create quick videos.

Diana Marlene

The most practical movie

Reviewed on 2022/05/27

iMovie has helped me making and editing a lot of videos for my courses at school. During the pandemic I had to make videos showing my presentations or the evidence of some experiments I made and I always used iMovie. My experience has been great, I consider it very useful, easy to understand and very practical.

Pros

What I like the most about this software is that everything is very simple. All of the tools are very useful and easy to manage and you can figure out how they function on your own.

Cons

What I like least about the software is that sometime it is "heavy" for the device you are using. For example, in a MacBook Air, it may reduces its speed and the ventilator could make very loud sounds. But really, its not a mayor problem.

Yann
Yann
  • Industry: Online Media
  • Used for 2+ years

A good video editing solution for beginning vloggers

Reviewed on 2021/05/15

Pros

The one thing I personally like the most about iMovie is the fact that it's really a low-friction, easy-to-use, solution for anyone who's taking the first steps in the video world.

Sure, it isn't as robust as many other video editing software out there but it still provides a good suite of features to get started with video editing.

If you're a Mac user, then you have iMovie already available on your machine (for free). So, you can get your feet wet and get started with iMovie right now – you'll able to make your videos look better in no time!

Cons

Even though iMovie is good for new video content creators, it's a software that may lead you to "hit the ceiling" relatively quickly.

Depending on what you'd like to do with a video editing software, you might feel as if you've outgrown iMovie, because you're probably find yourself looking for features that aren't part of what iMovie offers.

So, while on the other hand it's good because it's a low-friction option, it's likely going to have you look for another solution because of missing features.

Jeff

iMovie is GREAT

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

My experience with iMovie has been great. It was easy to learn. There are plenty of helps available.

Pros

iMovie helps you make quality videos. It is easy to edit and create videos.

Cons

You only have one layer to put over the video.

AVS Video Editor

Reasons for Switching to iMovie

I needed to do more complicated things with the video. Also I switched from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop.
Goda
  • Industry: Animation

iMovie review

Reviewed on 2022/07/12

My overall experience is great and I use this app to this day

My overall experience is great and I use this app to this day

Pros

I like the trailer options and different music that contains it. It's very easy to use and you can make very good quality videos aswell

Cons

I don't like the space that it takes in your smartphone cuz when you don't have a lot of storage like me. (i have 32 gb) So it's not the best choise

Christopher
  • Industry: Media Production

iMovie is a great free platform...it just needs a few more features to make it outstanding

Reviewed on 2023/11/16

Overall iMovie is an amazing free platform (via the purchase of a Mac that is). We use it everyday to produce professional content for use on broadcasting channels as well as YouTube and other social media channels. It's easy to use compared to other more sophisticated and more expensive products.

Pros

iMovie for starters is free. When assessing if we needed to purchase Final Cut Pro we decided to try iMovie and see if it an do the video editing we need to produce professional content. The great news is it does. It is also really easy to use and it saves your edits to come back to so we can definitely recommend this product.

Cons

For us iMovie has issues with dragging and dropping in certain video filetypes, including certain MP4s. This can really delay our video production as we then need to reformat a video file before we can use in in iMovie. They could also have more zoom and panning features.

Ayesha
Ayesha

Create Video Content With Zero Difficulty.

Reviewed on 2022/08/31

I've been utilizing it for a while now. Its user interface is very engaging. Anyone can use this. Although it might not appear to be powerful, it has a considerable amount of powerful features. Capable of creating excellent content.

Pros

The templates are a tremendous time saver. Every feature needed to create quality content is included. Very quick exporting and easy procedure. I love how each function has been enhanced to suit the user's requirements better.

Cons

Although it has no plugin capabilities that might speed up production, it is still an excellent tool for editing videos.

Stefano
Stefano
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Good for noobs or professional video makers

Reviewed on 2023/10/14

Pros

Free and good for everyone who want to begin with video editing, you can use templates for trailers or any kind of instruments for editing

Joel
Joel
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

If you are not professional, iMovie is the best way to learn and to do your amateur videos

Reviewed on 2023/06/14

My first experience with any video editing software was with iMovie and it was very easy and organic to use, everything was just spontaneous and logical. Once you do your first 20-25 videos, you feel like you want to do some new transitions or effects that in iMovie is just impossible to do

Pros

It is just beautiful and easy to use, it has many features for your amateur creations and again, it is easy and it feels like your learning path is organic

Cons

It has less features and characteristics than other softwares like Final Cut Pro or Adobre Premier which are more professionals and the use of RAM and space is less compatible and difficult to manage with iMovie

Rilwan
  • Industry: Media Production

Best entry video editing platform

Reviewed on 2023/11/16

Pros

The setup for iMovie is pretty easy and makes video editing fun. The platform is straight to the point and the fact that it is free makes it a great entry level video editing platform.

Cons

Due to the fact that the platform is free, it comes with limited functionality. As a company that does a lot of video promotion, this becomes an issue and we have to incorporate other video editing platforms.

Daniel
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

iMovie: The Beginner’s Best Friend!

Reviewed on 2021/04/28

Apple’s iMovie is a rather under the radar video editing software but it is actually quite impressive. There are many things that it can do well and it is especially good for video editors who are starting out. Personally, I would highly recommend iMovie to anyone beginning to learn video editing or anyone who wants a video editor that runs wonderfully on Macs.

Pros

iMovie has many advantages and new features especially since the recent updates. You can clearly see the “Apple philosophy” in the interface of iMovie as it is as simple as a video editor can be. The elegant and clean interface is very intuitive to use and great for beginners. The interface is quite similar to other powerful video editors, so iMovie is a great place to start learning. When you first use the software, there are useful tooltips that appear as you navigate iMovie instead of a full tutorial. The titles and transitions are also incredibly easy to add to a video, and still look quite professional for a free program. Moreover, iMovie has great integration with other Apple products such as iCloud, iMovie on iPhone and even Apple TV to view your movies. Furthermore, iMovie is very well optimised on Mac’s and it works flawlessly especially on the recent M1 Macs. You can easily scrub through 4K video without a hitch! And remember, iMovie is completely free for Mac users and with all these features it’s clear that iMovie is the best free video editor for beginners that have a Mac.

Cons

iMovie does lack a few features and export formats compared to other video editors but what it currently has is implemented seamlessly and beautifully. The interface can also be ‘too’ simple for professional video editors, at times. There are also some advanced features like 360 video and multi cam that are missing but this is to be expected in free video editors.

Sam
  • Industry: Design

iMovie - The best editor to start with!

Reviewed on 2021/10/04

Overall, my experience with iMovie is good. While I definitely prefer more robust video editing programs, iMovie is still my go-to when introducing new people to video editing. iMovie does simplicity and better than any other video program, which makes it an amazing pice of software for a quick video.

Pros

The best feature that iMovie has to offer is its overall simplicity. I love that someone with very little video experience can open up iMovie and get started with a video project right away. iMovie takes a lot of the confusing thought out of video editing and instead allows users to quickly drag and drop and move things around. Perhaps the best hidden feature of iMovie is its ability to quickly generate cinematic movie trailers—complete with music and text. iMovie has some great pre-made templates that really make video editing fun and intuitive.

Cons

While iMovie is great for its simplicity, its simplicity is also its downfall. While iMovie can still accomplish a significant amount when it comes to video editing, it lacks more of the precise and robust features offered by other video editing programs such as Adobe Premiere and Final Cut. Having learned video editing on more advanced software, switching back to iMovie was quite difficult. Because it is so simple, the workflow looks vastly different than the majority of video editing softwares. It lacks motion integration, detailed colorization and timeline size/format setup and exporting, for example. However, these features aren't fully necessary for a great product.

alexia
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

video editing software developed by Apple

Reviewed on 2023/05/20

An advantage of iMovie is its seamless integration with other Apple devices and software. Being able to edit my videos on my Mac, iPad, or iPhone allows me to work on my projects from anywhere, ensuring flexibility and convenience.

Pros

I appreciate how iMovie allows me to focus on the creative aspects of video editing without getting overwhelmed by complex technical processes. Also offers a wide range of creative tools and effects that enable me to enhance my videos and give them a professional touch. From adding transitions and filters to incorporating music, sound effects, and titles, it provides me with the flexibility to customize and elevate my videos to reflect my artistic style.

Cons

its relatively basic set of features compared to more advanced video editing software. Maybe is not enought for more complex editing needs.

Robert
  • Industry: Music

Imovie a great video editor for beginners and advanced editors.

Reviewed on 2022/07/03

Great experience. I've been using Imovie since 2009 and still to this day. Imovie just covers good enough tools and options for anyone to quickly edit a cool looking pro video.

Pros

That it's easy to use for a beginner and advanced users. Lot's of other third party editors have way too many options or things that make your head all dizzy. Anyone can just look up a tutorial on Youtube and be ready to go within a few minutes to make a cool looking pro video for their social media or work.

Cons

I would like Imovie to have a bit more Filter options for advanced users that like to get a bit more creative with their work.

Drick
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

I Movie

Reviewed on 2023/10/26

I use it and will continue to use it on all my apple products

I use it and will continue to use it on all my apple products

Pros

For me imovie is the best for doing business video editing on I have made great progress with saving time and the ease of this app highly recommended

Cons

It could use some more features but it's a free app so you getting the best for free and out do 98 percent of video editing app that cost money

Zafar
Zafar
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Create your own story, in your own style

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

When I visit the construction site (for example) and take some pictures of non-conformances, I than create the movie with some epic music which is fun to present to management instead of boring slides and explanation. This practice have a very positive impact on my Management.

Pros

In HSE industry ofent uses clips to show incidents and accidents, however the quality of such short clips is not good. This tool helps me to create a required length video clip with visual and sound effects without requirements of a very complicated computer devices. All you need is iPad.

Cons

The person who is not familiar with iOS, could run in to trouble in using this program. It'll take some more time. Hence the program itself more have entertain purpose instead of professional skill sets, hopefully it'll change.

Faith
Faith

iMovie is a pro's pro.

Reviewed on 2022/04/26

Pros

iMovie is quick, easy, and convenient for people to use. One thing I love about iMovie is how seamless it is in regard to video clips. For example, I can record several separate videos the same day talking about the same topics and yet the application will shuffle and stack the videos like I took the whole video in one take. That's great!

Cons

There's nothing that I don't like or like least about iMovie.

Alan
  • Industry: Entertainment

iMovie - easy to use - one industry standard

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

I used it for years and years and was always happy with it, I also liked its seem less integration with iDVD at the time, but I no longer make dvds so that would not be needed anymore.

Pros

I used iMovie for many many years almost daily. Learning how to use basic operations was easy and the end product was more than good enough for home and personal use. I eventually moved up to using More professional products to gain additional professional tools to improve my videos, but using iMovie taught me all I needed to do so much.

Cons

It was limited - I eventually move up to a more professional editing software to be able to purchase additional editing tools for special effects I wanted, but in reality I did not have to move up if I didn’t want to.

Humza

Reviewed on 2021/01/20

My overall experience with iMovie has been a decent one, because it was a good program for me to begin and learn video editing on, but many of its features can be lacking at times.

Pros

What I like most about iMovie is that it's extremely easy to use if you're a beginner. If you want to get into editing videos and creating content, iMovie is a great program to start with because it's very beginner-friendly.

Cons

What I like least about iMovie is that it's very slow at times and tends to lag quite a bit. It seems to be lacking in some aspects of functionality and user-interface.

Muneeb

Edit your films.

Reviewed on 2021/05/28

Its nice handy and convenient can work on the run.

Its nice handy and convenient can work on the run.

Pros

A good average video editing software by the apple family comes with almost all OS's, comes in handy for quick edits on the run. Dont need a high end specifications to run the software.

Cons

It can be a good software for the amateur. there are not much options or plugins that one can get with this software.

Anna
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Gets the job done

Reviewed on 2020/12/27

Until I am shooting and producing my own big budget films, it's good for the time being!

Pros

As an independent artist (actor), I need to quickly edit and send audition videos. iMovie is a great, "free" tool (it was included when I bought on my Apple MacBook Pro) for producing basic videos. Compared to other video editing software that I have used like Final Cut Pro, Avid, and Edius, it gets the job done and is pretty straightforward.

Cons

The features for editing options are very limited. You can't get the precision cuts/transitions that you get with more expensive software, and you cannot manually choose the clip still photo. However, for it being a free app, it is still worth it.

Luis
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Best app for Any Videographer

Reviewed on 2021/08/30

I think this is the best app for any Video Producer who is in need of a professional software for editing.

Pros

This is the Go To and most used app for all my film and video creation projects. All the templates and transitions included are things I use in every project.

Cons

I dislike the that it excludes some detailed features but it is still amazing.

Daniel
  • Industry: Import & Export

iMovie Review

Reviewed on 2023/02/03

For me, iMovie is a great option for simple and easy-to-use video editing software. I appreciate its intuitive interface, built-in themes and templates, and its seamless integration with other Apple devices and services. On the other hand, I found iMovie to be too limited in terms of features and functionality, especially for more complex video projects.

Pros

iMovie is fast and responsive, even on older or lower-end Macs. iMovie includes a variety of built-in themes and templates that help me quickly create polished-looking videos.

Cons

iMovie is only available for Mac and iOS devices, which means that users who work on Windows computers cannot use the software.

• Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used for 2+ years

Great on the computer and mobile devices

Reviewed on 2021/02/10

Recently we used iMovie to edit and convert a video so it could be uploaded to instagram without getting cut off on the sides. The process was a bit tricky, but a quick read through an online tutorial easily revealed how to accomplish this task. Once the editing was done, exporting was very quick and the final product worked perfectly. Did I mention we did all this on an iPhone?

Pros

A solid, full-features video editing program. You can edit videos with multiple video and audio streams. Some good beginner-intermediate effects. Can be used on a computer or mobile device.

Cons

Only available on macs or iOS devices. Some of the advance video editing functionality is not available. No options for advance filters or professional video editing plugins.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

iMovie Is Okay To Use

Reviewed on 2021/01/09

Pros

I have been using iMovie for editing and making youtube videos. I love the filters and how you can put in the text and images. iMovie I have been using since my first iPhone and I am okay with it. The easiest part is putting in the videos. I also like it because it is a free software to use.

Cons

I have a least favorite about iMovie because sometimes the program itself does crash. It slows down a lot and what I also don't like about is not many video editors like myself use it to edit videos. iMovie sometimes does slow down. To the point I have to exit out the software and I have to start over on making the trailers I create for my books. I also hate the fact that it does not have very many choices to edit. iMovie does not have a lot of tools to use, too.