SendGrid

Rahul
Rahul

Most Underrated Powerful Email Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 2022/05/01

Sendgrid is a powerful email marketing tool that offers superior services to its customers. Sendgrid is a must-have tool for start-ups, eCommerce businesses, freelancers and corporates. One thing that separates Sendgrid from other email marketing tools is their scalability once our list grows. The free version of Sendgrid allows you to send 100 emails every day.

Pros

What I like most about Sendgrid is that most of the tools out there offer easy integration with Sendgrid. Some apps can even directly integrate with SendGrid without using automation software like Zapier.

Cons

Sendgrid's UI is a bit confusing and it took some time to get used to the options. The email editor lacks certain features.

ConvertKit, Moosend and Omnisend

Reasons for Choosing SendGrid

They are very expensive and for half the price I can get all the features on Sendgrid.

Sendlane

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Sendgrid offers more options and subscribers on the free plan than what they offer on their paid plan.
Thomas
  • Industry: Insurance

SendGrid - You pay for reliability

Reviewed on 2023/07/31

Easy to set up, secure and verbose logging and reporting make this an easy choice for SaaS email relaying. While there is a marketing portion to this application, we don't use it so I can't speak of it.

Pros

I don't think the email API service has ever had a technical downtime where it doesn't work in the many years we have used it. The API itself is very easy to use and use the least privileges. Integrating the API into your SEIM or reporting platform (Power Bi for example) is also really easy to do and gives verbose information.

Cons

Email reputation can be a concern in ensuring your emails are delivered externally unless you want to pay extra, otherwise, the lower tiers are fine and still have decent deliverability %'s, typically above 95%'s.

Pedro

The worst customer support ever

Reviewed on 2020/07/06

I had sendgrid free, then I upgraded to the basic. After the shared IP has been blocked many times due to spam, I decided to go to a dedicated IP address. $89/month (really expensive for the service). I send around 500 emails/day for my learners. The server wasn't sending it, it was sending only 100 emails. as it had a limit of requests. I tried to contact their support service and it was terrible, no help at all.

Then, I added some of my IPs to the whitelist, unfortunately I had to change my home IP and I got blocked from sendgrid, after over 2 weeks trying to access it and adding IP, they haven't helped me or given me a proper reply.

Not only I could not send emails, I cant access my account, neither I can cancel.
I had ti sign up with Amazon SES, and now my life is great!

Terrible support, the worst so far, cant even cancel and get a refund =/

Pros

Free trial
easy api integration
cheap and good user interface

Cons

terrible support
expensive
hard to talk to someone

easier better support

Amazon SES

used in the past
Thomas
  • Industry: Hospitality

SendGrid is one of my favorite email platforms.

Reviewed on 2023/12/04

Sendgrid lives up to its reputation as a market leader for email. Be it marketing, authentication and transactional emails. It provides a plethora of options and functionality that meet most business needs.

Pros

The fact I use sendgrid for transactional emails says a lot. The api intergration is a breeze, as are all of its parameters available. The email monitor tools as well as the disposable email detection have proven particularly useful. Third party intergration is easy with the likes of Firebase, FaunaDB and node cloud functions.

Cons

There isn't any particular thing I have a disliking for in all honesty.

MailerLite

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

The api was more approachable compared to some other services on the market. With emphasis on transactional email.

We wanted to try using a new tool

Reviewed on 2022/08/22

Pros

The developers started using Sendgrid to confirm that the emails provided on the portals we created were valid ones. Later on, our marketing team also started to use Sendgrid to blast emails and follow up on how our users interacted with the content we sent. We used to work on another software but we didn't use it's full package and we found it too expensive. So, we ended up switching to Sendgrid and it's doing a good job so far.

Cons

Not the easiest software to use to be honest. The visual of it is just too much information dispayed directly, can be very confusing at first.

Andrew
Andrew

Great for easy bulk email sending

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

Sending emails without having to manually manage and handhold them through the process.

Pros

Easy to connect up and set up delivery of email, handles any bounces, spam reports, link tracking and continually trying to deliver. Allows set up of email authentication including SPF, DKIM and DMARC.

Cons

Sometimes things fail and can take a while to get to the bottom of, some of the reporting feels lack lustre and limited given the volume of emails we send. Support has at times been slow to get back to us, although they always do come back with answers.

Amazon SES

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Had used it previously for a large scale operation.
Roger
Roger
  • Industry: Information Services

Excellent, reliable - I recommend; using for years pre-Twilio

Reviewed on 2023/12/19

Pros

Reliable, excellent delivery rates, clean API - I like 'em.

Have used for years including Pre-Twilio acquisition, and still good service.

Cons

No complaints here. Not sure what to write.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

We use both - for different reasons / types - both great products and no wrong answer.
Divaldo
Divaldo
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Fantastic solution for transactional emails

Reviewed on 2023/10/20

Pros

SendGrid is one of the best solutions for me in the transactional email service because it's easy to start using, the free version is generous and the more affordable paid version isn't bad.

Cons

I stopped using it simply because I found another even simpler solution, with lower prices and excellent support. Other than that I would continue to use it.

Richard
Richard

Not the best

Reviewed on 2022/09/14

I would have liked to continue with SendGrid since we spend time upfront in its implementation, but we simply could not continue once we came to the conclusion that it was simply not performing for us as well as other ESPs.

Pros

The pricing and implementation were easy enough but once we ran into some issues with email deliverability I felt like I had to school them on what to do.

Cons

It did not adapt to our needs, primarily deliverability.

Higher Logic Thrive and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

I chose all of those options but went with SendGrid originally due to price, ease of implementation and positive email reviews.
Olivier JM
Olivier JM

A good way to send and manage your emails via an API

Reviewed on 2021/04/26

The overall usage was really smooth and it is a product I would chose to use again If I am to integrate emails in any app.

Pros

Easy to integrate with different types of backend, I tried it in nodejs and ruby and it just worked. one of its nice feature is the email builder that allows you to drag and drop as you customize the reusable email templates, this boots productivity by much. I would highly recommend this to non coders as an easy implementation.

Cons

Most things are well documented but somethings are missing like receiving external emails via sendgrid webhooks wasn't clearly documented so we had to go around it.
another issue was not being able to properly filter all outgoing emails in sendgrid dashboard.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Some of the administrators we have who were supposed to use sendgrid didn't have a coding background, having a clean email template builder with a graphical interface that you can easily drag and drop was a big factor.

Reliable, high-bandwidth, and reasonably priced

Reviewed on 2022/05/31

Overall, SendGrid has been a very valuable asset for our company. Even when we are not fully using every available feature, it's never failed us at a crucial moment, and continues to be a reliable and reasonably priced solution for us.

Pros

Our help desk/support team skews more to the "client's industry specialist" side and less to the tech savant end. That being said, SendGrid continues to be simple to use tool for those that interact with it daily. Setup and further customizations have been simple, and over the course of 10 years, it has continued to prove its value with minimum service inturruptions.

Cons

Our team's only major complaint during our ensure using SendGrid was mostly when it was a less mature product. There were some shortcomings early on with the email marketing and contact management, but there has been considerable progress and improvements in almost all corners of their service and UI.

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Our company was VERY small and short staffed when we realized we needed a transactional/API email service. After reading reviews and comparing pricing and features, SendGrid fit our needs the best, especially the pricing packages.
Suman

Using Heroku and SenGrid is Painful

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

The tool is good. But their initial configuration is so terrible I recently moved to SendInBlue. This tool used to be so good but trying to make it secure they just ruin it for devs. The customer supports is not really responsive. In past years they have grown so quickly they could not keep up their old qualities.

Pros

It has a really good transactional API and the dynamic template is nice and easy to use. Ruby gem for SendGrid is good as well.

Cons

The configuration part is terrible. When you add Sendgrid add-on through Heroku it gets blacklisted instantly. When you tried to a new account the signup process is terrible. They have added 2FA and sender authentication that is a good thing but that is a nightmare for a project with multiple devs and having multiple environments. They need to add features for developers.

Brevo

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

I decide to choose SendInBlue over SendGrid because they have become terrible with their initial configuration.
Martin

API implementation is shaky and there are some 500s that you can't solve

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

After ending up on a 500 error from their server on a simple endpoint to create API keys on subusers, I made a support ticket. I had some answers at first and then the ticket stayed unanswered for 24 days, after which I went to Twitter to push them to answer me. They did answer me and told me to try using the API test tool to see if that would also produce the same 500. It did, it was now pretty clear that the error was on their side. 2 days later my ticket was simply deleted without any answer, I cannot see it in my list anymore. Despite asking them about it on Twitter again, nothing changed... I would strongly avoid Sendgrid if you're planning on using it for anything important.

Pros

If you use the most basic features of SendGrid, it will work and do what you need.

Cons

Don't use Subusers, ever! If you are a company who will need to rely on their subusers feature to provide services to your client, please don't, you're wasting your time and you're better off trying another provider that has the same type of functionality but that actually WORKS and is more simple. 500s left and right, endpoints that simply don't work, wrong documentation, ...

Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Because it looked more powerful, but that's the thing, it just seems more powerful but when you use it it's actually not. I'm switching to MailGun now.
Jordan
Jordan

Sendgrid is great

Reviewed on 2019/10/23

Was great for sending transactional, automated emails. API integration with my app was a breeze.

Pros

Love the UI, the simplicity of the setup, the training / onboarding videos, and the ease-of-use. It's a great tool. Also, the visual template builder is great.

Cons

I ended up switching to Mailgun just to test things out - and honestly, they're both pretty amazing, but I stuck with Mailgun because (at least at the time I switched) they had a more generous "free" plan.

Sendgrid is great though!

Reasons for Switching to SendGrid

Well, I do use both still, but probably use Mailgun more honestly - just because they have a more generous "Free" tier. But Sendgrid is just as good, honestly.
Mckenzie
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Effective Emailing tool

Reviewed on 2021/09/10

Excellent

Excellent

Pros

We use sendgrid for our enterprise application for all purpose ranging from notification, verification and transactional information. We switched from a competitor that was burning our pockets and had a lot of issues. the pricing was a balance between our budger and our requirements and send grid just fit into the grid for us

Cons

No complaints. However the suggestion to the manufacturers would be to improvise the documentation for this product to provide more use case specific guidance to help users

Taha Burhan
Taha Burhan
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

SaaS Product Email Journey

Reviewed on 2022/07/29

We use Sendgrid for email automation of our saas product. We plan emails from Sendgrid that will facilitate the journey of our customers in many different scenarios. Since it is very easy to use, we can quickly create templates specific to our company. Also, the email delivery speed is very good and this is very important for us.

Pros

It's really easy to integrate quickly with just one API key. When I learned that it is also preferred by many large businesses, my confidence increased considerably.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Sendgrid shines on mass mailing, but lacks some required features

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Transactional email

Transactional email

Pros

Sendgrid is ready for your scale. From the smallest Saas apps to the largest enterprises, Sendgrid was built with scale in mind. It handles transactional emails very well, and is relatively simple to integrate into your codebase or product workflow. Templates come out of the box, but some coding knowledge is needed to style transactional emails. All templates can be easily versioned.

Concerns on security and blacklisting are limited. As long as you follow their recommendations, Sendgrid will deliver your email.

Pricing is very fair and generous. In years of use, I've never gone over a plan limit.

Cons

Functionality can be limited in interesting ways depending on your plan. On the most basic paid plans, several code features are just missing. Reporting is the most glaring issue, with basic reporting showing only a rolling group of recently sent emails. Without a deeper dive into your logs, you may miss issues.

Transactional emails also lack some features that seem required, like weblinks for email and easy native unsubscribe. There are workarounds for both, but not without challenges. Version tracking for templates is also completely missing, unless you use new versions for each edit you make.

Garret

Worst Customer Support (even for Pro Users)

Reviewed on 2020/07/09

Overall I would say I'm extremely disappointed with the customer support with SendGrid, especially as a paid Pro user. We have sent over 2M emails and an AI tool flagged our account which was then immediately shut-down without any contact from SendGrid to get more information or validate why it was shut-down. After multiple hours calling thru phone banks I was able to get someone live who couldn't help me at all and said they would reach out to compliance and call-back within 30 minutes.

It has been over 8 hours and I have reached out several more times with no follow-up or resolution to our account.

Pros

integration process with our product was fairly straight forward and on-going maintenance is low cost.

Cons

as a customer for more than 7 years I have been satisfied with the service. The platform, per the conversation with the customer support team, has seen a large rise in fraud and has begun banning clients regularly even when compliance hasn't completed a diligence process. This has resulted in a large amount of "false positive" cases.

When they ban your account, there is no notification. It just says you aren't authorized to access your account. Even if you are paying for Pro support you have no ability to access your account to call support. You have to submit a ticket and then wait 24 hours+ to get a call back.

Matt
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Best Transnational Email App

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Mailchimp Transactional Email

Pricing.
Sheryl
Sheryl
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

SendGrid is one of the best EMS optimized for marketing professionals

Reviewed on 2022/06/19

SendGrid handles all of our mailing campaigns and we are very satisfied with the performance. I like the deliverability and tracking metrics provided by it.

Pros

It's been over 2 years of using Sendgrid for many things within the marketing team. The code editor allows for effective e-mail marketing campaigns. SendGrid has tons of useful e-mail templates.

Cons

SendGrid doesn't have an intuitive GUI to edit like MailChimp. To make a custom e-mail marketing campaign you must know how to code.

HubSpot Marketing Hub, GetResponse and Mailchimp

Cost and ease of use.

GetResponse and Mailchimp

Budgetary limitations

Suspended Account for no reason

Reviewed on 2018/12/31

very poor support experience

very poor support experience

Pros

it was quite easy to setup to use transactional emails and there was a free tier to start which is great for startups

Cons

the reputation of the shared IP is not really good and we still landed in spam. the biggest problem we had was that from one day to the other my account was supsended because "we were sending spam". No warning upfront, no chance to react upfront - just the information the we are suspended now. The problem: this e-mail came on a Thursday evening (out of office for me) and I reacted on Friday. The support did not answer anymore so we where off over the whole weekend cause their complience team is available only during weekdays business hours. The 24/7 chat support could not help me either. I needed to wait and we lost a lot of signups during those days off. Finally I got an example from them and could identify the problem. What I worry about is the fact that we did not get any warnings and no examples. If they would simply warned us upfront we would have solved everything right away and we would not have lost so many days without transactional emails.

so - really a very poor support experience.

Cristian

Good features, worst customer support ever..

Reviewed on 2020/09/07

Works fine until it doesn't. I would search for a provider with better customer support.

Pros

It has a good set of features, not many competitors covers all the functions provided by SendGrid

Cons

The customer supports is very bad. It was quite much better before it was bought by Twilio. When you have problems with their platform suddenly stop working (we stop getting emails for 2FA, pass reset, etc in a few days and delivery rate dropped below 20%). Their support was not responsive and their only option was to pay for more dedicate ips, increase or cost by x6....and only for sending a few emails per day.

Mailchimp Transactional Email and Mailgun

Better reputation.
Shuhan

Unacceptable random errors for a utility product

Reviewed on 2021/02/26

Pros

Generally set and forget for the years that we've used them, but reliability has been a major problem recently -- see cons.

Cons

Ever since last September, we've had about a 1% error rate with Sendgrid due to random 406 errors. Based on what we've seen on the internet, we're not the only ones. As a utility integration that the rest of our software depends on, this is wholly unacceptable. Imagine your product, and imagine that 1% of emails your product sends just randomly fail.

Sadly, their support has no drive to actually solve the problem. We've been back and forth with their support for months now with no resolution. The last three interactions are about them asking about a different key in our request, one key at a time. This is the interaction after "escalation". At this point, we might get through describing a single API request by the end of the year.

Strongly recommend to just go with any other vendor that actually works. As a utility play, there is no way you can afford to spend time worrying about whether your email provider is reliable.

An excellent email marketing platform

Reviewed on 2023/06/12

The API is cost-effective due to its low operating expenses and lack of application development requirements. Even as a simple SMTP gateway, the API may execute a variety of tasks. These comprise distribution results and bounce information, which enable proper operation. The original enables MTA SaaS services. It is used to display messages from the service provider and to notify the public of impending announcements. It is difficult to function with an original nowadays since it could be utilized as a spam pass-through by hostile third parties. It can, however, operate safely if suitable security measures and patches are implemented on a regular basis. Using the SendGrid service liberates business owners from tasks over which they have no control.

Pros

An wonderful platform, particularly for novices. It provides free trial packages for life, 100 emails every day, and an SMTP feature that can be linked with a program. Emails can be recorded and Follow Up can be done, as well as accurate analyses through development. There are numerous benefits, and it is easy to create an HTML form to place on a landing page or your website to enroll individuals in a mailing list for a charge.

Cons

Haven't really thought about anything negative with this.

Best Transactional Email Service Out there

Reviewed on 2022/06/09

Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Extremely satisfied till now and have been using it for the past 4 years.

Pros

The uptime and delivery monitoring service is the best in class. No doubt large enterprises like Uber, Spotify, etc. use sendgrid for their email delivery. Additionally, its overall communication tools suite like Twilio SMS, Whatsapp business make it an all in one solution for all the communication related APIs

Cons

Probably needs a little elaborative developer documentation with respective to example code samples for a newbie.

Brevo and Mailchimp