SendGrid Reviews

4.4/5 (313 reviews)
Sam L.

Get into the SendGrid Accelerate Program

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

Our company currently uses SendGrid for all promotional and transactional marketing emails. Our marketing team designs via the HTML editor all our promotional emails, A/B tests, category stats, and segments contact lists inside SendGrid. Our backend RoR setup up the majority of the implementation - he claimed it to be exceptionally easy. For us SendGrid allows us to keep track of all our emails in one place. Rather than having one email service provider for promotional emails (ActiveCampaign, MailChimp, etc) and one email service provider for transactional emails (Mailgun, Mandrill, etc.), we are able to have them all in one place.

Pros

Compared to other email service providers, SendGrid has an exceptional deliverability rate. Being a global company and have thousands of users all over the world, we have never had an issue with delivering emails. Over 99% on all promotional campaigns and a near perfect rate on all our transactional emails.

SendGrid has an extremely simple UI/UX. From creating emails in the editor via HTML or drag & drop, to being able to manage our unsubscribe lists and even viewing KPIs on emails and specific categories; SendGrid is extremely intuitive.

Being a startup and going through an accelerator program in the GAN network, we were able to take advantage of SendGrid Accelerate program and leverage SendGrid training, resources, and early beta access to new products. Not to mention their dedicated IP address.

Cons

I've had trouble setting up their tracking with our website via Google Tag Manager. Followed their instructions and ended up contacting SendGrid support and they said that we needed to implement the code on the actual website. Wish we could have it done with Google Tag Manager.

SendGrid recently launched automation/sequences. While this is still in beta, they have a weird setup where you must configure your entire contact list twice to be able to put contacts through the automation. It will be interesting to see their roadmap for this product as they continue to develop the marketing side of their product.

Abigail N.

An Easy to Use Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 2018/07/05

The detailed stats from each email campaign is amazing, and the Unsubscribe groups option really helped with GDPR compliance

Pros

1. On the bottom left side of the dashboard is a small reputation percentage bar, that measures your reputation. The bar is updated daily based on your email sends, your reputation goes down if your email bounces or is marked as spam.
2. Stats: SendGrid provides A LOT of data on the performance of your email campaigns, these stats are: Requests, Delivered, Opens, Unique Opens, Clicks, Unique Clicks, Unsubscribes, Spam Reports, Bounces, Blocks, Bounce Drops, Spam Report Drops, Unsubscribe Drops and Invalid Emails. SendGrid also provides stats such as: Global Stats, Category Stats, Category Comparison, Subuser Stats, Subuser Comparison, Geographical, Email Clients & Devices, Mailbox Provider Stats, Mailbox Provider Comparison, Browser Stats, and Browser Comparison
3. A/B Testing
4. Unsubscribe Groups: This is without doubt my favorite feature from SendGrid. When you click on "Marketing" on the left side of your dashboard, and select tour from the drop down, it sort of lists steps to set up for sending marketing emails. Step 3 on the list of things to do is to create unsubscribe groups. Here you can Create groups that represent types of email that you regularly send to your recipients. If a recipient chooses to unsubscribe, they will have the option of selecting which of these groups they want to unsubscribe from.

Cons

1. The Email templates in SendGrids gallery are a bit basic which initially wasn't a problem as I liked creating my own template, but I did not like how I couldn't modify the "columns" module to my taste.

I wanted to create a template with three columns with the center column bigger than the two on the side. The idea was to have my client's images linking to their projects (On their websites) on the side columns, with the write up in the center column.
However, that couldn't be done (At least so far it seems so as I can't find any option to tweak the size/width of each column) as each column has an equal width.

2. No automation function: I'd like to create a sort of If/Then sequence where I can resend an email to a group of people after x days, for example, I'd like to resend an email (With a different heading of course) to people who have not opened the first email after four days.

Anatoly G.

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it back

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

7.0/10

Sendgrid shines on mass mailing, but lacks some required features

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Transactional email

Pros

Sendgrid is ready for your scale. From the smallest Saas apps to the largest enterprises, Sendgrid was built with scale in mind. It handles transactional emails very well, and is relatively simple to integrate into your codebase or product workflow. Templates come out of the box, but some coding knowledge is needed to style transactional emails. All templates can be easily versioned.

Concerns on security and blacklisting are limited. As long as you follow their recommendations, Sendgrid will deliver your email.

Pricing is very fair and generous. In years of use, I've never gone over a plan limit.

Cons

Functionality can be limited in interesting ways depending on your plan. On the most basic paid plans, several code features are just missing. Reporting is the most glaring issue, with basic reporting showing only a rolling group of recently sent emails. Without a deeper dive into your logs, you may miss issues.

Transactional emails also lack some features that seem required, like weblinks for email and easy native unsubscribe. There are workarounds for both, but not without challenges. Version tracking for templates is also completely missing, unless you use new versions for each edit you make.

Oscar C.

The best mail service provider for marketing and transactional emails.

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

I have been working with Sendgrid for more than 2 years and it really has been very helpful.

It's perfect when you need to send transactional mails, for example password recovery or notifications to users from your website. or custom marketing campaigns. You can implement on your App easily with his Full Documented API or via SMTP.

The free forever plan is perfect when you're starting a website or application and still do not have enough users. You can also easily upgrade your plan in order to get more emails monthly .

Recommended with closed eyes.

Pros

1. Have AB Testing enable.
2. Manage unsubscribe emails.
3. Easy to Integrate via API or SMTP.
4. Email Reputation indicator.
5.Full detailed report. You can see if the email it's blocked, bounced or delivered.
6. Have a Forever Free plan . (40.000 Emails in the trial period, then 100 Emails Daily forever)

Cons

Send grid interface it's a little bit confuse.

No more cons to highlight, for me it's a perfect tool.

Ryan K.

Long time customer with 15+ active accounts

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

SendGrid was the first to market and has grown more and more powerful over the years, while keeping pricing low and even free pending your needs. Excited to continue plugging it into my side projects and companies.

Pros

I've used SendGrid for years. They have a 1-click "provision" feature inside the Heroku app store that starts at $0 /month until you hit profit-worthy volume (10k+ emails /month).

The API for sending transactional emails is great, however I have not tried their email marketing feature.

I'm such a big SendGrid fan, in fact, that I built a free SendGrid analytics tool that generates reports for other customers (+ myself) to send better transactional emails: https://lesstransactional.com.

Cons

While building our free SendGrid analytics tool, it became apparent that the "Email Activity" API has a much lower rate limit (ie 10 requests per 5 minutes) than the regular sending APIs.

This required us to make restrictive changes to the app at the last minute, and their support team was unwilling to increase the rate limit for our use case.

Esra K.

Awesome software!

Reviewed on 2018/03/09

We send approximately 300K emails per month and Sendgrid made this job very easy for us. I strongly recommend this software.

Pros

We needed an email server provider for our web application and my friend recommended me Sendgrid 3 years ago. We are still using it without any problem. Our Pro 300K plan gives us a clean, dedicated IP address so our automatic emails don't end up in Spam folders.

You can observe the email's journey and get various analytics on how many emails are delivered, how many people have opened, how many clicks etc.

Our marketing team also started to use Sendgrid to send newsletters. It is very easy to manage contact lists and subscriptions.

Customer support is great. They helped a lot whenever we have a question or problem.

API documentation is clean and thorough.

Cons

Website menu structure is a bit complicated and left menu fonts are faded. It is hard to read the menu elements. It's color should be darker.

Ruth L.

We use SendGrid to send emails from our database. It does a fabulous job!

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

They consistently send out my emails and help us comply with the CAN-SPAM act. They help us make sure people are getting the emails they want but not the ones they don't. I can't imagine trying to manage our emails without them.

Pros

It sends emails from our database. The set up for that was extremely easy, and as a non-profit, the pricing is extremely affordable. It allows us to see general statistics for our emails as well as monitor whether a specific recipient actually opened a specific email or clicked on it. It also notifies us if someone clicks spam or unsubscribes so we can remove them from our database. It's easy to monitor what is happening to our emails. When we were somehow blacklisted by AT&T, we were able to catch that quickly and get it resolved.

Cons

SendGrid campaigns is a little difficult to work with. Also, their unsubscribe groups doesn't seem to work as well as I would like. It is difficult to know exactly what categories of email people are wanting to receive.

SendGrid is a reliable email platform.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/29
Review Source

I have been using SendGrid for the last two years. It is very easy to use. You can design your mail or edit the SendGrid templates. Also there is a code editor. So you can make changes in the code. So you can change the style or make it responsive by writing media query. So you don't have to be bothered about the design issues in sending a mail. Also marketing mails can be send to list of users just by a button click. There are many features which helps you in email marketing and automated email delivery. Thank you team for this wonderful product.

Pros

SendGrid is the best email delivery platform I have ever used. I am a developer and to send automated mails from website was a major concern for me. But using SendGrid I can easily send mail. APIs is easily available and you can design your mail just by some drag and drop. Also there are many templates available in SendGrid. You can just edit the templates and add your images just by uploading to SendGrid photo gallery. Transactional mail templates can be created by desin or code. This is the main attractive part in SendGrid. Also you can upload your users base and send mail to multiple users just by a button click. So SendGrid can be easily used for marketing purpose. So I will say, this is a best option for email delivery service.

Cons

Even if SendGrid is easy, for a beginner it is a little confusing. Because you will not know where to design your template in transactional or legacy . But once you are familiar with it, SendGrid is the best.

Robert G.

SendGrid Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Our business Server is located with GoDaddy and their email delivery service is basically Black Listed which was a real problem for our mass mailer.

We found SendGrid and decided to Port our Server's emails delivery via them.

We ordered a dedicated IP address and our mailing have been flawless in delivery providing all the data one would need to manage email deliveries and an manage delivery to keep from being accused of spamming or popping up on Black Listings.

If we have any issues or questions customer service is always there for us.

Thanks for your business,

RG

Grant & Associates Web Service
Your Window to the World Wide Web
[email protected]

Pros

For a mail delivery service SendGrid provides all all the data and options a customer could ask for.

Customer Service is one of the best. Courtesy and knowledgeable they are one of the few companies I actually enjoy speaking with.

Cons

None to speak of. Customer Service is always on the top of their game providing Superior service whenever it's needed.

Send Effective Email Marketing Campaigns

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

SendGrid allows us to effectively and efficiently email market to a large database of B2B and B2C subscribers. It can be incredibly beneficial in reaching your target markets at the right time and the right place.

Pros

SendGrid gives you the power to email market more effectively, regardless of your skill level. Whether you are looking to custom build your HTML templates, or would like to build out their standard templates, SendGrid offers an intuitive software to help you improve your marketing efficiency. The platform also makes it easier to build more comprehensive distribution lists, and allows you to target your messaging to the right people at the right time.

Cons

The only limiting factor of SendGrid is the fact that the tiered pricing may not make sense for all business models. It would be nice to have more notifications with regard to deliverability/reputation issues that occur.

6.0/10
Aravind V.

Using sendgrid for the last 5 years

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

Pros

We have integrated sendgrid API. They provide us with good email deliverability which is a key factor for us. The stats about the email campaigns they send are near accurate and we can trust them. We also use an alternate service provider just to make sure that emails blocked by sendgrid are delivered through that provider.

Sendgrid also provides us with interesting articles via their insiders program. I found that insightful and engaging. We can get opinions from experts in the area there.

Cons

If you are planning to reach out to recipients who have opted in to receive emails, then sendgrid works best. If you are planning to send marketing emails to anyone who didn't subscribe with you chose another email service provider.

Kevin V.

Great SMTP email service that checks all the boxes

Reviewed on 2019/07/06
Review Source

Overall SendGrid has been a very solid solution for sending our product related emails. We have been using SendGrid for many years now and haven't run into issues, once it was setup we just left it alone and have sent thousands of emails over time.

Pros

SendGrid is a very reliable solution for sending emails via SMTP or via their API. We have experienced great deliverability of our emails as well as excellent reliability with their service. SendGrid has good pricing as well and can handle sending a large number of emails without a high cost.

Cons

The initial setup took a bit of time, it wasn't entirely clear how to authenticate with SendGrid - the documentation was a mix between explaining normal SMTP email sending and sending via the API and it wasn't always clear which they were referring to.

Rocky K.

Our email client backup

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

piece of mind!

Pros

My course site sends about 50,000 emails a year, containing important information like login/passwords, due dates for content, and other time-sensitive things. Instead of relying on my marketing email client (which can end up in the promotions tabs, or users can mark as spam), my course emails are sent by SendGrid, and always land in the Primary box, because of it's incredibly relevant material. And it just works. It was easy to hook it up to my website, and quickly test.

Cons

It's not a email client. It's more of a backbone, that you use another piece of software to build the emails. Which is fine for my use case, since the course site builds the email, and SendGrid sends the email out to my student.

Patrizia I.

It's great but needs small corrections

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Sendgrid is an efficient tool for email marketing. It allows sending emails with a high rate of delivery and very low bounce one thanks to its reliability. It is really convenient!

Pros

There are different templates ready to use to create your marketing campaigns. If you don’t find a template that fits your needs you can laying out yours using the design editor or the code one.

With regards to the design editor, you can set up an appealing template only by dragging and dropping the modules available on the tollbar placed on the left side of the page. The code editor allows writing the custom html code of your layout.

Sendgrid offers an A/B test function to test the effectiveness of different texts, images, objects, and so on. Checking the insights you could easily choose the most performing email you created.

After composing an email you can send different email tests (with no limits) to multiple recipients. Schedule option available.

You can switch from desktop to mobile view in just a click.

You can update your contact lists and organize them by segmenting the users.

On the homepage you can see your reputation calculated according to the percentage of bounced emails and spam reports you got in your campaigns.

The reports and the insights collected by the tool are really useful, reach and detailed.

Cons

The design editor and the coed one are not synchronized. If you create your template on the design editor and then edit it in the code one you might lose many formatting options.

Sometimes you can’t undo your actions.

Easy Email Relay Service

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

Pros

I know SendGrid has a lot more to offer than I actually use. I have it linked up with a database program and use it as a relay service for sending emails. It has been a solid service. There have been a few times I've had to get in touch with customer service for some help, and they were responsive and helpful.

Cons

Being on the lowest tier, we end up sharing an IP with who knows who else, so our messages are sometimes flagged as spam and bounce because of their IP source. The price jump to the next level which would give us a dedicated IP is hard to justify - several times the price for what I'm guessing would be going from a 99.5% success rate to what would probably be about 99.9%.

SendGrid as a backbone

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

As CTO of SteerIO - a French startup which helps project managers monitoring their projects' health - I've been able to easily transform a rather complex international emails system to a fully integrated implementation. And SendGrid provides me all the options I need to reducing spam flags on my emails, securing and signing links and images I add in them, injecting variables in maintenable templates, etc.

Pros

SendGrid helps me on a daily basis with templating, delivering and monitoring emails. I've tested other solution and no one manages to provide essential features for marketing email campaigns and transactional emails with such an easy way. I'm pleased to verify each day how SendGrid has made bulk send of custom internationalized emails simple and robust.

Cons

SendGrid is a great product but I regret it does not allow me to see more than 3 days of sent emails' status without charging me for an extra. I'm also a little bit disappointed that checking emails' status (received, bounced, in spam, etc.) is only possible through their website and not directly from an API request.

Good Product, Not Great

Reviewed on 2017/12/12
Review Source

Pros

-SendGrid has recently in the last year, come up with a better pricing model for its newletter service. Our E-mail service provider spend was cut in 1/2.
-Easy to use. API is well put together and good for programmers.
-Reporting is good. I can get to the information I want fairly quickly and easily.

Cons

- Lacking some features / integrations we'd like to see, like with social media platforms
- We feel we significantly overpaid for services from SendGrid in the past, and nearly left SendGrid due to completely being unwilling to works with us in getting something back for that.
- Web UI is still a little buggy.
- Fixing bugs and new feature implementation seems slow

Harimohan S.

SendGrid - Easy configuration, Budgeted plans

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Overall experience with SendGrid was good and fulfill our requirement for what we are searching.

Pros

SendGrid app is a great tool for any organization for their emailing solution in terms of marketing and transactional emails. SendGrid is very easy in configuration as minimum need for support documents.

you can manage lots of things like white listing of domains and support IDs, email templates, reporting etc. Tech support is always available. there are multiple budgetary plan you can choose according to your requirement.

Cons

Improvement is always better than the things running as usual. so reporting system could have been better.

Ivan S.

Exceptional value for the money

Reviewed on 2019/06/11

We're sending all our app user communication via SendGrid (password resets, user communication, scheduling and reminders).

Pros

SendGrid is very easy to use and integrates with our product exceptionally well. Aside of all the automated and user-related emails that our application sends via SendGrid, I found it to be very useful for targeted email campaigns to track which users reviewed updated SOPs and training and so on. The support is great, when our account got hacked the were immediately on it.

Cons

SendGrid has recently reduced sending history to just 3 days, which is s bummer, because we were using history for monthly audits.

Sendgrid is my first choice for email deployment at scale

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Overall, very happy to be using Sendgrid. Generally easy to use, and a good team to help us figure things out when things go sideways.

Pros

- Lots of options to integrate (marketing campaigns vs API)
- Now supports dynamic templating via Handlebars
- Reliable for improving deliverability
- Great team - constantly making recommendations and working closely with us to help improve our email marketing

Cons

- Sometimes support can be a little basic/frustrating till we get escalated to someone more advanced
- Dynamic templating currently has a character limit in the subject lines (it's a problem for us as a global business)

An integral piece of software to ensure delivery of our mail from our custom solutions

Reviewed on 2018/08/05

SendGrid is helping us schedule a mass amount of automated emails internally to our various departments to assist them in their day to day jobs.

Pros

SendGrid gives you so much visibility on what is going on with your email campaigns. I can see who has opened, clicked, and viewed the emails being sent out, verify that they are going out, and get statistics on volume and visibility of these emails.

For our team we are using SendGrid with .Net and Azure functions since the integration is already built out and very functional. All we had to do was configure an account and link our profile in Azure and SendGrid basically handled the rest.

Cons

Some of the definitions for how users are interacting with the messages can feel a bit arbitrary but overall is pretty good.

SendGrid makes emailing and associated analytics easy

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

Our Enterprise application needed the ability to send emails to customers and partners and track their delivery/ response and action taken from the email. SendGrid allowed us to roll this out fast, cheap and frictionless

Pros

The SendGrid software and AP make it very easy to provide email functionality within applications. Whether you are using it's API s or the web interface it is a breeze. The free tier is good enough to get started without any costs. I loved the software so much that I even started using it for sending New Year greetings

Cons

None. Absolutely love this software and it's ease of use

A++ SendGrid - Well Done!

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

I've been extremely satisfied with SendGrid and it has really helped us drive results for our business. I'd highly recommend to anybody looking for an ESP.

Pros

The ease of use and the ability to customize through their API is extremely easy. The reporting aspect is easy to use and great to incorporate into daily metrics.

Cons

We did the SendGrid Consultation to get our reputation better. Although they gave good insight I thought the value we got out of it didn't offset the actual cost. Also, to keep an ongoing report, it was additional money that was a bit pricey.

Rizwan H.

Good Service, Bad Support

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

We are using SendGrid to send out confirmation emails from our website, as well as newsletters. The service works as expected, they have a lot of FAQ's that will answer majority of your questions.

Pros

The functionality of the software is great, sending through SMTP or API calls are quick. Very reliable tool to use for sending mass emails.

Cons

Not a fan of their support. There is no number to call, cannot contact support without logging in, which is an issue when they lock out your account.
Their support teams takes too long to contact you, and they are bad at following up.