AIM

AIM Point of Sale Software Solution for specialty retailers.

Ron

Has made us MUCH more efficient

Reviewed on 2022/09/27

Pros

For a small retail store this is excellent! Helps manage inventory, as well as daily and weekly check out.

Cons

There was quite a learning curve for us. We had no POS before AIM.

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to AIM

AIM was a better choice for a Retail/Service business
Tara

Phenomenal Experience

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

We were having problems remembering who put what in the system and if it got logged in correctly and whatnot. The ATF Compliant Bound Book completely mitigates that problem. The Technical Support team has been able to answer each and every question I've had, which is incredible, considering I've called them many times when I've in the middle of a process (both on the test system AND live system) I don't understand or forgot how to continue on. They've been wonderful and have not at all made me feel crazy or gotten tired of answering my questions. I cannot say enough good things about my experience. We did have a small issue with a scanner, but the way it was handled was done so professionally and so well, that I consider it a privilege to have dealt with the company in this manner. It showed me that they really care about their customers and back their products and will make it right, no matter what.

Pros

We have been utilizing the POS (Point of Sale) System, and it's very intuitive. You go through a couple test transactions, and it's like riding a bike. You can do it so quickly and effectively. We used the testing system and were able to play around it a lot without worrying about mistakes that will mess up your entire system. We have the label printer, the receipt printer, and the wireless scanner, and they have made our little gun shop look SO professional and streamlined. Gone are the days of handwritten receipts! We can now track customers to see what each person buys and can add notes and wish list items! The Bound Book is ATF compliant, and it has made checking the firearms in and out a breeze. We are going to be purchasing the PO module next, so I can't wait to implement that!

Cons

I can't really say there are any Cons...I would just say it is a bit of a learning curve and can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the support that is offered is just phenomenal.

Adam

AIM once the sale is made we don't care.

Reviewed on 2022/08/25

I have been trying for several years now to get this company to finish installing the software with all paid for data transfers. AIM tech support Has been supposedly working on entering my inventory for about four years now.
Every time I call I get the we supplied the software so that I owe for it even though it is totally unusable without my inventory and bound FFL book installed. And just because I paid for extra for data transfer to make the program usable does not mean that that AIM has to actually do it (simple Excel format)
Tech support is useless as none of them have done their job yet. I am going to have to take the time away from my business to take these crooks to court.

Pros

Looks like if it worked it would be nice.

Cons

The way it just sits there with no data for the last several years waiting for AIM software to finish their job.
The fact that I was charged for software and data transfer and received software without data transfer so it is useless. I have been waiting so long it was called AIMsi when I bought it.

Bill

An overall great product

Reviewed on 2022/09/30

We moved from a custom AS400 program written for our company to AIM almost 10 years ago. We've been very pleased with AIM & never looked back. No program is perfect & they all have their little quirks, but we've been very pleased with AIM & have no interest in shopping for another platform.

Pros

There is a lot to unpack in this program, but once you've learned the system it's an all-in-one package & is fast, easy & efficient to use. Integration between our website, payment processing, shipping, etc. make our life easier. The program is constantly updated with enhancements & quality of life updates making the software faster & better to use. Tech support is very responsive to our needs & requests, development has made many changes to the software at our request to better fit our needs.

Cons

The Vortx web platform that integrates with AIM comes with a lot of limitations & the custom report tool is difficult to use. The SQL platform version 12 uses is powerful, but the hardware & software startup cost (SQL especially) can be high. There is not a good solution for working with products that are sold in both a physical AND digital format.

Julio

Great Softrware, and even better customer service

Reviewed on 2021/04/30

Pros

Three (3) years ago, as I was increasingly becoming frustrated with my previous POS system, I researched various options. In doing so, I discovered a software system called AIMsi, which is a Tri-Technical system. I was contacted by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and walked through the process and signed the agreement. Admittedly, navigating this software was a bit intimidating I became frustrated with the learning curve and gave up on the software that I had paid for. A few months later I was contacted by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]to see how I was liking the software. I described my experience with the software thus far, to include my frustrations with the setup, navigation, troubleshooting, etc. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was extremely patient and professional. Additionally, rather than treat me as a generic customer, he listened attentively, was compassionate and did not close the discussion until he identified a path forward for which he could properly resolve my issue. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]expressed a great deal of concern, acknowledging the cost I paid for the software and that it was of the upmost importance to him that I experience the full range of the product. Thereafter, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] registered me for training sessions, at no cost, and followed up with me repeatedly (2-3 times weekly) until I was comfortable with using the software. The software is great and the staff who have all been friendly and willing to help when I called for tech support.

Cons

sometimes the software can appear to be complicated gaining a understanding of its functionality helps

Sheila

My experience with AIMsi

Reviewed on 2017/03/10

We use an older version (v6.0), and I am very impressed with the features. I can only imagine how the newer versions must be. Unfortunately, previous employees didn't understand POS software and we are not using many of the features, as our database is really messed up from being misused over the years. We only use the Long Term Rental Contract features, and AIMsi does a great job. Very easy to use. I only wish it had been used properly from the beginning because it looks like it would save me a lot of work.

Pros

The interface is very easy to understand and use, and customer support is great. It is a feature-rich program, I only wish we had a newer version.

Cons

When printing statements, it prints old accounts with no address. Apparently there is no way to filter the ones with no address out so I have to manually remove them. Occasionally one slips past and they are returned to us by the Post Office.

Megan

AIMsi has more and more to recommend it as we learn more about it

Reviewed on 2014/09/05

Pros

This is a great POS for our instrument sale and rental business. There's just enough flexibility in it without having to do everything freeform. The more we use it, the more we learn about new ways that it can help us. And the support option is great. Their staff is very knowledgeable and has been of tremendous help to us on several occasions. We've used AIMsi for years already, yet we're still finding new ways that it can help our business. The designers seem to have anticipated most of the needs of a shop like ours. Whenever we decide we want to do something new, we find there is an option in AIMsi for exactly that. That's a great sign of a well-designed product.

Cons

There are a couple of features that would be nice to have (ability to refund an initial rental payment in the system, reverse an approval return, etc.), but they're just things that would be helpful to us specifically. The only other thing that we really find irritating at all is that the formatting on the straight-to-email option isn't really compatible with Gmail recipients, so the large number of our customers with Gmail get invoices and the like that are very difficult to read and not very professional-looking. We get around that by printing them to PDF instead, but it would be nice to have it work in one step.

Sharon

Best product available to Music retailers at this time.

Reviewed on 2014/09/06

Pros

That it captures customer info; examines things like staff sales, top customers, sales totals so I know how my business is growing.

Cons

the fees that you charge for anything extra that could support us.The fact that any type of webinar, workshop or video costs so much even though we pay monthly fees for support. I don't like the fact that even if we pay a monthly support fee we're screwed on the weekend if the system errors and you can't use it. paying an extra fee for the weekend seems like a another gouge. Not enough free tips and support about general usage, considering you only get a month of "free" support to learn how to use the system. If there are other places to get info then you need to get that info out to your customers.
The email module having no support in the way of setting it up - you're on your own having to know outgoing info and whatever else. I had it working once and now it doesn't and when I ask support that admittedly say that's not there area to help with and you have to call your internet provider. Plus when it does work, depending on your provider you can end up getting blocked from using your email for 24 hours.
That I can't look up a serial number to see it's repair history.
That you didn't ask your customers how they felt about your product and get their input -thanks for listening to my request in the email I sent a few weeks ago.

Response from Tri-Technical Systems

Our Support Manager spoke with Sharon and showed her how to look up the repair history on any serial number, and also stepped her through correcting her port number for emailing out of AIMsi.

Patrick

AimSi helps to run our store

Reviewed on 2016/07/13

Have been using this program for about 25 years. It is a great program to run a music store. Plenty of other music store owners to share ideas of how to get the best out of AimSi

Pros

Really helps with the back room duties (accounting, inventory, planning, etc.). Great point of sale program. Bar coding is a must.

Cons

Getting quality support can be a challenge. Program has so many features that better documentation for using the features would help

Teddy
  • Industry: Wholesale

Experience with Aim

Reviewed on 2022/09/26

Overall experience with Aim has bee satisfactory.

Overall experience with Aim has bee satisfactory.

Pros

User friendly, tech support is good and a fair price.

Cons

Integration with previous inventory got messed up and we had to do much more work to get corrected.

Roger

After ten years, I work with the system reluctantly.

Reviewed on 2016/07/12

Pros

You can open the system multiple times on the same computer. In the middle of entering a sale, cust wants to try on a helmet or gloves, or just gets distracted; you can switch to another copy of the system until the customer is ready to continue. When using the computer to work on customer information or inventory, you can switch to another copy to verify or copy something. For instance, combining two customers into one, can copy email and then compare or enter.

Cons

The system is absolutely opaque, not intuitive, and byzantine. To deal with a product, it is impossible to find S/A Maintenance unless you know how to find it. Way too many arbitrary clicks and decisions to find anything in the system. Especially annoying is the inability to go back one level, if you make a mistake in these decisions; you have to go back to the beginning, and you might not even remember which decision was the wrong one.

The lack of a training program to teach new employees how to use the system is something I have been thinking about for ten years.

The rental module does not lend itself to quick service, renting 100 bikes on a busy day.

If you suspend a sale, you can't open it and suspend it again; therefore you can neither edit, nor even reprint it.

You can't analyze sales data from a sector of the customer data base. For instance, you can't separate the customers from A to M and compare them to the customers from N to Z. This would be useful to analyze the effectiveness of advertising. We could contact all the customers from A to M, but not N to Z, and then compare the results.

There's more, but that will do for now.

John

Outstanding product and tech support!

Reviewed on 2014/09/12

Pros

The product I use has made tracking over 12,000 consigned items a manageable endeavor. In addition to the impeccable tech support I receive, the ability to track each and every product in the store, from intake to settlement, has made this business venture a pleasure. I probably only use 50% of the features, but those I use make my job easy. I can readily identify all pertinent information regarding an item, track notes on the consignor's item and sale preferences, and easily upload all information at the click of a button to my website. A few of the key features I use most are the abilities to associate similar items to one another, to produce reports for each consignor on items sold and still open, to create accounting reports on daily activity, to retrieve a customer's information for mail merge at settlement time, to track my inventory on both quantity and revenue generated to determine my seasonality and busiest days, and to un-publish items from the website once they reach quantity zero (can you imagine doing this manually?).

I also enjoy the easy of use in the Aesys admin system. I've been able to manage and tailor the website to suit my needs with little help from the web support team (another great facet of the product). The ability for real-time lookup of shipping costs and credit card processing made the integration of these items a breeze.

Cons

There are times the system will crash if I have the SA Inventory, customer info, receive batch consignment, and the sales invoice windows open at the same time. There are times I need to have these available in the dynamic environment I've created, and the "Swordfish" errors can be a hassle. Also, there are some canned reports in the catalog that don't seem to work, and creating reports with the wizard is not the easiest or the most intuitive.

Miles

Very updated interface

Reviewed on 2018/02/09

Expensive!!!!! Time to "update" to the newest version? Expensive!!!!

Expensive!!!!! Time to "update" to the newest version? Expensive!!!!

Pros

Solid database. Features specifically designed for our industry like lesson billing, rent to own tracking

Cons

Crashes daily because it isn't fully compatible with newer versions of windows. Not easy to use at multiple locations. Requires arcane network setup like environment variables because you have to pay for a total number of "terminals." Very clumsy user interface because you have to start from the master look up process for every piece of data you need to enter. Autopays are only semi automatic because they only run when you tell them to and once again you have to start from the master look up screen multiple times to: generate an auto pay list with manually input dates, transmit the autopays, post the autopays, cancel the denied auto pays, print out a denied list. Lesson billing is usable yet clumsy, lesson scheduling is a joke.

Sharon

aimsi review

Reviewed on 2017/01/19

It was hard to learn at first and I find my new employees have a bit more trouble with it than I like. Support is good but I have frustrations when CC processor and yourself throw the blame back on each other when resolving such problems. I think the separate module are a bit pricey unless you can catch a sale. And unfortunately I wish there was better online instruction to able to learn a new module. customer support is limits how much they show you in that area. I feel as though I utilize only about 50% of what aimsi can do just because there is no instruction of resource available online. And what's the point of the scheduling tab in reports when it doesn't give data even though the choices of reports are the same in the lesson tab and they work there. Customer service told me the tab doesn't work yet.

Pros

customer contact capture and credit card processing .

Cons

modules priced individually and that updates aren't discounted for current customers.

Randy

AIM is the best fit!

Reviewed on 2022/09/19

The software has been just what we were needing for our sales and service business. The support has been fantastic as well over the years. Simply put top to bottom outstanding!

Pros

There are many POS on the market today but not very many geared to our industry. It is flexible and customizable. It is so easy to use.

Cons

There are very few things I like least because when we do , features can be implemented. I guess at this point I like least is we have no way to print a claim check when customers drop off their vacuum. That said I created a feature request that they are working on as I type this review.

Andrew

A Small Music Store's Best Friend

Reviewed on 2019/11/16

I used this software as a salesman at a local music store. It worked great to keep track of inventory (sales/ordering/receiving), salesman commissioning, time cards, and it made band rental season easy to manage.

Pros

It's very easy to use for all point of sale needs including transacting sales, sales history, band rentals, gear rentals, powerful customer account features, ordering and receiving. We used it to track salesman commissions and it worked great for that as well.

Cons

No real cons from a salesman/user perspective. It functioned to meet all of the needs of a small, local music store.

Parker
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Best A&D and POS software I have used

Reviewed on 2022/09/28

The software allows us to keep all of our records on site and quickly access them from as many terminals as I would like. I recommend AIM to everyone in the firearms industry.

Pros

The team at AIM gave me all the support I could ask for with setting up the software. I can barely turn a computer on and they were able to set it up for me so that I could start using it immediately. Customer support is flawless. The price was well below competing software and still had all the features I could ever use plus some.

Cons

We have experienced some lagging issues, but the team at AIM is working with us to resolve this at no cost.

Carolyn

AIM v12

Reviewed on 2022/09/19

The AIM team is generally responsive to our requests though we do tend to have issues due to the large database size that difficult to diagnose.

Pros

I like the ability to save an update information efficiently.

Cons

Tracking various types of purchases is still very difficult and conversion from rentals to purchase.

Dan

Baums Music

Reviewed on 2022/09/22

I have been an AIM user since 2003 and overall I have been extremely pleased. I have been working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and he has been extremely helpful in my last issues.

Pros

From POS to backroom accounting and inventory management the software integrates seamlessly. Also support is crucial and they have that covered well.

Cons

Seems to need a lot of updates to fix issues.

Andrea
  • Industry: Music

Not at all user friendly

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Auto-pay feature

Auto-pay feature

Pros

Once you get the hang of AIMsi, everything is trackable. There is never any question about inventory, if or when a payment went through, or who still owes money. The auto-pay feature is also very beneficial.

Cons

AIMsi is way too difficult to use. It takes longer than necessary to understand and get used to. It crashes if you leave it alone for too long, and automatic payments aren't actually automatic - you have to go through a whole process to run stored cards, and you have to REMEMBER to do it.

Mary
  • Used for 1-5 months

Too Much Work

Reviewed on 2017/06/08

The sales staff is very eager to show how the program works, but they do not tell you about data entry required, that there is only one check template, and that other parts of their program cannot be customized. The rental and lesson modules cannot be turned off, and having to enter tax by zip code is a tedious job that is unnecessary. Other accounting programs will do this automatically. Overall, the program has great features, but if we had not spent money on it, I think I would have knuckled down and gone with QuickBooks, and I hate QuickBooks.

Pros

Integrates POS, AP, AR, inventory, and invoicing, all in one program. They offer complete training and on-site set up, for a price.

Cons

Too much data entry to set up, which they do not tell you. I had to enter: categories (in a specific format, which I had to develop) and tax by zip code (California has over 2700). In addition, their 'conversion' consists of you putting your information in their template, and them writing a subroutine that will insert it into their program. If we had needed multiple stores, or did rentals, then it would have been more complicated. They only have one check template, and if your check does not fit theirs, their immediate response is 'why not buy them from us'. Nevermind that you might have several boxes already printed. Also, entering a customer is a complicated, several step process. For someone unused to data entry or not very computer savvy, it could be a more frustrating experience than it was for me. Their documentation is SEVERELY lacking, as well.

Michelle

Scheitel's Music Review

Reviewed on 2022/09/21

Grant was very helpful and solved my problem today and he was friendly.

Grant was very helpful and solved my problem today and he was friendly.

Pros

That if I have questions I can call a tech and they are able to help me.

Cons

That in my version, I'm not able to do everything that I want to do without paying more money which I don't want to pay at this time.

Lance

Music Biz

Reviewed on 2022/09/16

overall very good product

overall very good product

Pros

functionality and ease of use plus great customer service!

Cons

Too many updates. If it is necessary to implement updates every week or so... Can you set the system to do automatic updates?

Jessica
  • Used for 1+ year

Poor support, lost data,

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

There is little help for setting up the system. There are so many options, that it was hard to set up. When I called to get help, they wanted to charge me more than I already paid for tech support or they wanted to charge me to have someone fly out and set it up for me. When I had problems, they made me feel like I should know everything they do about computers. After having the system for over 2 years and trying to make it work, losing all my data and having to start over and paying for their top tier tech support the whole time so I would not loose any updates, I have given up. I spent thousands of dollars on software, hardware and tech support and then found out this system that I never even rang a single sale on, cannot be transferred to another buyer.

Pros

It was manufactured by a small company so I thought the support would reflect that.

Cons

The system crashed a few times. It is difficult to learn. The support was not great.

Phyllis
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Johnson's Sewing Centre

Reviewed on 2017/01/19

I have been working with Aimsi since 2005 and my #1 wish would have Canadian Payroll as part of the program. The Lesson module is geared only to music lessons, not for use with sewing and quilting stores. Even though the program is marketed to sewing and vacuum stores the Lesson Module doesn't work well. The purchase order module could be made better committed and in committed orders are confusing, and it's more time consuming to use the program than to hand write a PO. The number of accounts that are available for banking needs to increase as there are many more payment options these days. We take e-transfers, direct deposits, gift cards, as well as cash, cheque, debit, and 3 major credit cards plus gift cards from these various places. Since we deal with a number of outside agents that get stock from us we have had to be very creative with using the transfer in and out a program to keep track of the inventory that is sent to these agents.

Pros

The price point is very affordable and tech help has always been good Bryan is great at what he does.

Cons

Needs to have a more modern look and feel, and could be made more efficient, maybe being able to have windows open, when you generate a report you can not minimize the report and generate a second one without launching another Aimsi window this uses unnecessary server resources. Social media links and the ability to link to a website/e-commerce that you have built would also be nice.