Rise

Human resources software

We've been using Rise for payroll and absolutely love it

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

As our company has grown Rise has always been able to accommodate anything we need. I also cant say enough good things about their customer support; from their support onboarding to quickly answering any questions that come up from payroll to payroll I have always been so impressed.

Cons

Once a payroll has been submitted there is no way to reopen it, make changes, and resubmit. i do wish I had this ability but any time we've made a mistake or needed to make a change they have always worked with us to find a solution.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback. We are really pleased to hear that you have had a great experience with Rise!

Just so you know, once you submit a payroll, you can then edit it and resubmit over and over. However, once you do the final approval, the payroll is complete. Having said that, we are always happy to help to find a solution if and when you need us.

Murray

Works Great for Payroll

Reviewed on 2022/03/09

Getting the Original companies setup. Simple, not complex, great support.

Getting the Original companies setup. Simple, not complex, great support.

Pros

Ease of use and Customer support. .......

Cons

So far everything has exceeded my expectations.

Response from Rise

Hi Murray, thanks for your review. We're happy to hear that Rise is exceeding your expectation by making Payroll easier for you!

Pam
  • Industry: Insurance

We've been using Rise for two years now. Overall the software is user friendly and easy to...

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

I just answered this question in the survey!

I just answered this question in the survey!

Pros

The adhoc payroll process is a breeze, and very user friendly. ROE's are very quick, we've had a few issues with the addresses that were populated into the ROE's, so check closely before finalizing them.

Chat feature is wonderful, and the support staff behind the scenes are always willing to help with issues. Being able to resolve an issue via a chat is wonderful. The chat hours being extended beyond 8 - 5 would be great. Quite often payroll works after hours (especially on Friday), so running into a problem after hours does cause issues. I recently had a situation where I called and got the answering service, and was told I had to call back on Monday. The answering service did pass my message to someone, and I did in the end get a call. It would have been better if the answering service had told me that they would pass my message on to someone, with the hopes that they'd return my call before Monday.

Cons

We've made several recommendations to Rise regarding things that could make the system a bit more user friendly. The response we've received is that any change would effect every client. Most of the changes we've suggested would probably be 'pain points' for any client using the system. This was a bit disappointing, as GroupHEALTH is a very client focused business, and I felt that Rise was as well. We do anything we can to have a better client experience.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Pam! It's great to hear that the adhoc payroll process is a breeze, ROEs very quick, and the support staff and chat service are helpful. As a result of your feedback, we've made some changes to our support process: if you receive our answering service after hours, they will inform you that they will pass your message on to us immediately if it is an urgent matter and we will address your concern outside of business hours.

We also appreciate your feedback on how to make Rise more user friendly. We take all product feedback from customers into consideration and include it when prioritizing new development and features, with our most commonly requested enhancements taking first priority. We look forward to continue working with you - thanks again for this feedback!

Jocelyn
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Almost a year in, and loving Rise so far

Reviewed on 2023/08/15

We've had a great experience with Rise, and it has streamlined a lot of our processes, so we can have our onboarding, payroll, schedule, time off all tracked in the same software.

Pros

Rise is easy to use, and the payroll processing module works very well. It's easy to modify a pay run without having to do a lot of tedious back-and-forth with Rise, and there are many check points through the process to make sure that all the information entered is correct before approval.

Cons

We could use a standardized info sheet to give to new employees about how to use the timecards in Rise. We've found a few challenges getting new staff comfortable with the time tracking system.

• Industry: Information Services

Everything needed for payroll, stellar customer support

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

Customer support is far and away the best part of this software. If anything goes wrong they will fix it.

Cons

The main interface hasn't changed a lot since Paysavvy and is showing its age.

When I sign in, automatically create the next payroll if it's due soon, rather than making me click "Create Next Payroll". When I add a new rule or click Save, don't force a refresh of the whole page, but persist as is. When I click Submit, skip the need to "View Results" and go straight to a summary report that has all of the information broken out. I always need the invoice data.

Detecting statistical exceptions would be great. For example, I once accidentally entered all of employee's time for a pay period as both regular time and overtime. It would be nice for Rise to point out when an employee's hours are significantly different from their median.

Web Service API access to the invoice data in particular is something I've wanted for a while. I have a script that scrapes this data and inserts into my accounting system, because it takes a long time to do by hand.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback - these are great suggestions. Your feedback is being reviewed by our product team for consideration. If you would like information about our API or would like to discuss access to data, please feel free to reach out to us using the contact details below anytime and we would be happy to help.

Katrina
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Room for Improvement

Reviewed on 2022/07/21

RISE has taken away alot of manual tracking and spreadsheets so it saves time for the HR team and managers with admin tasks. Employees are more in control of their information, and can make changes/requests very easily. The tech team seems to move a bit slow, and not sure if its due to lack of staff or a high number of service tickets, but it can be a bit frustrating waiting for a resolution for 7-15 business days.

Pros

I like that it is a whole program, meaning admins and employees can go to one spot to get information, and you do not have to deal with multiple platforms and programs. The KB articles are wonderful resources to use to solve problems/issues without having to send in a ticket. However there is still room for improvement, with the functionality of the the various modules speaking to each other. Also needs some simple fixes, like the calendar having a choose the date instead of scrolling month by month; but overall its a great program.

Cons

The reporting feature within payroll is very complicated, hard to pull data that we need so we end up having to create our own reports. Some of the modules do not speak to each other; changing a start date doesnt flow over the compensation start dates, onboarding defaults to work email and phone number when should go to personal; calendars are tedious as you cant choose a date, but need to scroll month by month. Its definitely a work in progress with areas to improve quite easily.

ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing Rise

Pay at work was only a payroll program, and we needed a full HRIS. It ultimately came down to cost and what RISE was doing for future releases of programs, like performance management and onboarding that really got us excited.
Sue
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Rise is worth your consideration

Reviewed on 2023/03/22

Our experience with Rise hase been positive overall. Getting support via email or chat is sometimes frustrating but issues/difficulties are always addressed in a timely manner and followed up.

Pros

We use direct deposit payroll and have Rise pay our deduction payments to CRA.It is fairly straightforward to set up pension and benefit aspects of payroll.

Cons

It would be worth your while to find someone with payroll experience when fiest setting up your payroll. Customer Support is helpful but you will need to understand some payroll specific language.

Kelly

Great product for Canadian payroll, time tracking and schedule and HR integration

Reviewed on 2023/07/20

We're super happy. We needed a more in-depoth, robust, integrated payroll and HR solution and this was perfect.

Pros

I like the scheduling and time tracking. We love the integration with Payroll. Saved SO much time as we were doing everything manually before.

Cons

I find it a bit overwhelming when figuring out how to set everything up - and where to go to access certain information, as some is stored in the HR section and some is stored in the Payroll section.Improvements can definitely be made in the scheduling and time tracking module. For example, the ability for other employees to see other employees schedules within the app - for more transparent shift delegation, capacity planning, shift-swapping, etc.

ADP TotalSource
Catherine

RISE are incredibly customer focused. They spent a lot of time getting to know us and our...

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

It moved our manual processes to automated for absence tracking, employee file management and access which made we could focus internally on more strategic objectives and allowed us to provide improved customer service to our staff.

Pros

Ease of interface for employees including employee photos. Ability to track all types of absence. Able to upload employee documents to their employee file which they can access online 24/7 access.

Cons

Some initial issues with Quebec set up in relation to payroll and benefits which involved our finance staff having to do a lot of work manually which was not anticipated. This has now been resolved.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your review, Catherine. We're so pleased to hear that Rise helped improve customer service to your staff and free up more of your time so you could focus more on strategic objectives. We also want to apologize for any issues related to the Quebec set up that may have caused you more manual work. We would very much appreciate any more feedback or comments you may have in future. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime using the contact details below.

• Industry: Computer Hardware

My first 2 years were good with Rise but 2017 was a disaster.

Online payroll versus previous provider

Online payroll versus previous provider

Pros

The software itself is pretty good. A bit weird process but once you get used to it it does the job. I switched from ADP Telepay which was really bad as my changes were often not actioned.

Cons

Customer support team is horrible: they take too long to correct mistakes.
Calculated CPP and EI incorrectly in 2017. In December 2017 the paystubs were wrong for YTD salary which took them too long to correct.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that you've had a good experience with our software and we are sorry about the difficulties you faced in 2017. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime using the contact information provided below if we can assist you with anything. We take this kind of feedback seriously as it is valuable in helping us improve our service.

Polina

Glitchy product, poor customer care

Reviewed on 2022/01/27

I used to be a big supporter of RISE, them being Canadian small business but now I am walking away as I don't think the product or support will improve. The company seems to be focused on adding new features but basic functionality that is a must-have is not working properly.

Pros

My organization signed up with RISE for payroll over 4 years ago. The program looks nice and simple to navigate.

Cons

Customer care over the last couple of years has drastically fallen. Our issues are unresolved for weeks and we have to keep following up to get answers. The program has a lot of bugs or glitches and you can't fix anything or no workarounds can be found. The reports are super basic and no setting can be saved, resulting in a lot of re-work.

Response from Rise

Hi Polina, thank you for sharing your feedback. Based on your comments, it's clear we've missed the mark in meeting your expectations. I want to let you know that we value your insights and I have shared them with the team to help us improve.

Please know our entire company is focused on righting the ship and we're working hard to rework our processes so we can deliver the customer support you deserve and expect. I can assure you this is 100% of our focus from leadership all the way down.

We would love the opportunity to make this right, please reach out to me [email protected] so I can follow up directly.

Michelle
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

I would describe RISE an and "okay" payroll system. It is good for companies with simple...

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

user friendly, simple and intuitive to learn. flexibility of the JR report. I like the payroll input sheet and that it and all reports can be exported. running payroll is fairly simple.

Cons

doesn't have some feature we need for more complicated payroll. Customer service has been BAD. Customer service and software issues especially on the GL coding side. The customer service reps don't seem to have much knowledge of payroll or accounting standards and practices. often find things are set up incorrectly or they are not able to provide much assistance.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Michelle. It is great to hear that our software is user friendly, intuitive, and easy to learn. If you have suggestions on features for more complicated payroll, we would love to hear from you. We also take your comments on our client service seriously and would welcome any further feedback you may wish to share. Please feel free to get in touch with us using the contact details below.

Andrea

Great to begin with but diminished quickly given the frustrations listed below.

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Payroll and time-off integration has been quite helpful.

Payroll and time-off integration has been quite helpful.

Pros

- Payroll and time-off are integrated;
- Affordable for small orgs;
- Reports on birthdays and anniversaries are quite useful.

Cons

- Error in calculating carry-over days both years that I've managed the platform which resulted in manual recalculations and adjustments;
- When running reports, employees who are no longer at the org are included;
- Period of time (less frequent now) where the platform constantly ran error messages that prevented some team members from logging in and being able to use the platform;
- Would be great if the time-off calendar integrated with Google Calendar.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Andrea. We appreciate your comments on some of the challenges you have experienced with our system and have shared your feedback with our product team for review.

The issue regarding error messages is something that we will continue to improve upon - thank you for pointing this out and we apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

Also, the Time Off calendar is already integrated with Google Calendar. You can learn more about this feature in our knowledge base here: https://support.risepeople.com/article/536-how-to-sync-your-time-off-calendar-with-google-calendar-and-ical
Please feel free to contact us using the contact details below if we can be of any further assistance to you.

Elena

Rise is dependable, user friendly and very effective for our business.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

The features are user friendly and adaptable to our business. The customer service is also impeccable, any question or issue we may encounter is addressed immediately and an effective solution is found.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind about what we like the least, so far since we implemented the software it has exceeded expectations.

Response from Rise

Thank you, Elena! We are so glad that you found Rise to be user friendly and dependable for your business. It's great to hear that our customer service is impeccable. We hope that we can continue to provide great service to you in future. Thanks again!

Elizabeth

Rise is an effective payroll software. I love the ease of being able to work on it from...

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

The product is value for money. Less paper work. The software is easy to access from anywhere. Very simple to use. Love the ease of understanding the reports.

Cons

The customer service could be better. Speed of reply or resolving issues could be faster. Could offer additional training to maximize usage.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Elizabeth. It is great to hear your thoughts on our product and service!

We are currently answering all customer enquiries within 48 hours and all client service representatives are enrolled in ongoing training to help us continually improve our services. Please let us know if we are not getting back to you within this time frame and if you have any other additional comments or feedback that could help us improve.

Also, Rise offers complementary training for our clients and we would be happy to book additional training for you anytime to help maximize usage. Feel free to get in touch anytime - thanks!

Karin

A solid product but the database has many limitations

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

Customer support/service! Submitting payroll is easy. I love how you can download a CSV and upload it again to each payrun.

Cons

The YTD totals don't get rolled over at the calendar year so we've been caught a couple times with maximums (such as garnishment) that don't finish b/c the system hasn't taken into account deductions from the previous year...yikes! Also, the system doesn't automatically update vacation accrual to 6% after an employee's 3 year anniversary.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your review, Karin. We are happy to hear that you¿ve had a good experience with our customer support team. The maximums that you have noted can be set to roll over or zero out at the end of the year. We¿d like to help resolve this issue for you. Could you please contact our client service team so we can investigate and change the setting? Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• Industry: Human Resources

Steer clear of Rise

Reviewed on 2021/11/30

We were brought on pre-pandemic and things at first were great! The onboarding, service and success teams were all fantastic. COVID hit, and they let go of all of their staff. It is impossible to get any kind of support or service from Rise. Which is compounded by the amount of errors that their system makes. BIG payroll errors. Government reporting errors. Vacation pay errors. We are embarrassed to be using this product because it reflects poorly on our brand to our employees. Do not buy Rise.

Pros

The benefits admin is fairly straightforward. This is the only decent feature of the system.

Cons

Mistakes, no service, billing errors, government reporting errors, cannot get a hold of anyone.

Response from Rise

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're disappointed to hear you've had such a poor experience lately. We understand your frustrations with payroll errors and this should definitely not be the case. We would love the opportunity to make this right, please reach out to me [email protected] so I can followup directly.

Scott

Review Of Rise Software

Reviewed on 2020/04/08

Pros

The process for biweekly payroll, T4s and ROEs are very easy to use. T4 reconciliations have always been a breeze and on the spot. The Rise People Team [email protected] and their toll free 1-888-393-3483 & chat box are convenient avenues to get help.

Cons

Our accounting software is Adagio, which is rather obscure, but predominant in the Non-Profit world. There is no integration to import payroll data directly in Adagio.

Response from Rise

We're glad to hear that the process for biweekly payroll, T4s and ROEs is easy to use. We have a journal entry utility that maps journal entry codes to payroll codes and creates an import file that you can import directly into your accounting software. Please contact us at [email protected] or 1-888-393-3483 and we will be pleased to help you. Thanks!

Tina
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Easy to use, great customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

The processes for monthly payroll, year-end reconciliation, T4s, ROE, etc. are easy to execute. Any time I need to call for assistance, I've always been able to speak to someone immediately and resolve the issue on the spot.

Cons

Some reports features can be improved, so is the interface for certain sections, can be more user-friendly & intuitive than current format.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Tina. It's great to hear that you find Rise easy to use and that you are getting the support you need immediately when you call for assistance. We also appreciate your comments on the reports and user interface. If you would like to provide any specific comments on how we can improve, we'd love to hear from you at the contact details below. Thanks again!

Claudia
  • Used for 2+ years

Overall pretty easy to use.

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

What I like most about this software, it makes doing payroll easier. It takes care of all your payroll deductions and T4 information at the end of the year.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the strange, unexplainable glitches.
Also some of the reporting is hard to find or doesn't give you all the info you are looking for.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your review, Claudia. We're glad to hear that our software has made payroll processing an easier task for you. We appreciate your feedback on our software and on our reporting features. Our team would love to hear about your experience and your suggestions for improvement. Please feel free to reach out to us using the contact information below and we would be happy to help you.

Shelley
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Very intuitive software

Save time and money!

Save time and money!

Pros

I find it very easy to use and the customer support - specifically live chat - makes it even easier if I get stumped

Cons

Only real issue is how long it takes the pages to refresh after you input, modify payroll. Also, report downloads take longer than I would like but I simply run it in the background until it is done :-)

Response from Rise

Thank you for your review, Shelley. We're happy to hear that our services have helped you in maximizing your resources and that our customer support experience has been positive. We appreciate your feedback on the speed of our software and will definitely take this into consideration as we continue to improve upon our product.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Awful! They have no clue about Ontario payroll laws. Constant mistakes!

None!

None!

Pros

I can honestly say the only positive thing is the customer support team. Other then that this is one of the worst payroll providers I have dealt with in my 23 year career as a Payroll Manager. We will be leaving in the new year and going to another provider

Cons

Over all service is not impressive. Software is absolutely obsolete!

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Kimberly. We are sorry to hear about your experience with Rise. We value your feedback and invite you to contact us with any specific comments you¿d like to share using the contact details below.

Diana
  • Industry: Restaurants

Rise is the best payroll software

Reviewed on 2023/07/12

Everything is easy. People are friendly and helpful!

Everything is easy. People are friendly and helpful!

Pros

Ease to use. Unlike other payroll software, processing payroll thru Rise is easy and smooth. Nothing is tricky.

Cons

when employee takes vacation, I wish the vacation hours are automatically deducted from the regular hours.

Melanie
  • Used for 1+ year

For the most part it is easy to use. However, there was quite a learning for me to get there.

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

How quickly I can process my payroll. I can get the whole thing done in less than 15 mins. I also don't they offer very patient and clear customer service.

Cons

I would like a heads up when I need to submit an early payroll (eg Christmas) I got a notice my payroll was about to be late(causing me to panic) but no notice I needed to submit early.

Response from Rise

Thank you for your feedback, Melanie. We're happy to hear that our services have helped you to increase the ease and efficiency of your payroll processes. We apologize for the confusion you previously encountered with our early payroll notification. Our team is committed to ensuring our customers are provided with full support in their payroll processing, which includes ensuring that we continue to provide proper notifications in advance.

Helen
Helen

So glad we moved to Rise from ADP

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

Ease of use. When I get questions from staff, I can find the answers quickly. Great to see prior year reports all at my fingertips.

Cons

Doesn't connect well with Apple systems. So Rise staff need to prepare our journal entries for us. Also doesn't talk to Humanity and when choosing these 2 systems we were told that was something that would be happening.