Sage Timeslips Reviews

Sage Timeslips

Web-based time tracking and billing solution

Gina
  • Industry: Law Practice

Timeslips makes remote billing so easy

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

Overall, timeslips has been great for our firm. We have been using it for over 20 years and have no thoughts of changing.

Pros

The timeslips ecenter is a very useful and needed add-on that we continue to appreciate. I have found timeslips to be very user friendly for basic tasks (time tracking, invoicing) and it gives great snapshots of billing history per client.

Cons

I don't find the custom reports to be very user friendly. I have spent a long time trying to get a report on somethings that I think should be a simple and frequently used. I think I would benefit more from a simpler way to generate reports. We had a change in administrators here and have been unable to set up the function to email invoices from the new administrator. Integrating law pay has been difficult as well - I believe they're support to work with each other but I have to manually run both separately.

Tony
  • Industry: Law Practice

It's a good product but has too many short comings especially for the cost

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

It's a good product, I hope you can tell I am passionate about it. But it is getting passed by every other product it competes with. It was the best. It's not anymore. Sage themselves file this on the website under SMALL BUSINESS...maybe we have just outgrown it? Sage doesn't consider us a Medium Sized business, I guess? Only recently has Sage announced an online product that is designed for business that "aren't complicated". In March. And still won't be available until summer 23. There are so many other products out there, mostly all in the cloud with sleek and easy apps, I cannot recommend Timeslips after being with it for more then a decade. We are leaving...

Pros

It does do the job very well. Billing works great. We have a billing department that are experts with the software so it all works very well. And time entry WHILE IN THE OFFICE is good.

Cons

I would never recommend this product in its current state. Sage implemented Subscription pricing recently while making literally zero changes to the software model And reducing the ways we are able to get support. There's no longer a phone number you can call, oh no. You have to online chat with someone and if you are then deemed worthy, you can get a phone call. The fact the subscription became mandatory while we are still only able to run the software on our internal network is unacceptable. All the competition is running in the cloud...and they have apps to enter your time. Timeslips does not. They have this janky method of going to a webpage and entering into this "Timeslips lite" that is mediocre at best. Not only that but they also charge extra for any extra license...beyond 2. ALL these things were tolerable when we had a perpetual license. We would upgrade every 3 years ro so anyway. But making it a mandatory subscription while adding no cloud or app, and making support harder to get to?

Melinda

Buyer Beware - Frequent New Versions and Very Long Waits for Tech Support

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

I use it only for basics and it would have bee fine for that if they actually supported it. Even with Support the wait times were ridiculous. I was on for 3 hours and 5 minutes with them last week. Took 30 minutes just to get to a live person who could help.

Cons

Timeslips keeps "upgrading" software I do not need an upgrade for - and after 3 "upgrades" you have to pay for a new version or they cut off tech support (which suggests a financial incentive on their end that would explain the frequent upgrades). You do not get tech support for 3 years (which would be reasonable) - if they upgrade 3x in a year (which they have the right to do per the person I ultimately spoke with) then you have to incur substantial cost for a new version. Also, when you have tech support - the wait times are insanely long. As lawyers, we generally bill by the hour. In addition to my 3 HOUR experience last week, I was just on again this morning for 17 minutes before anyone live even answered. Then, that person needed to transfer me to someone but kindly agreed to stay on the line. They were on for about 5 minutes and finally they gave up and said they would send an email to that department to call me back (I am not holding my breath . . . ). This whole situation is crazy - they actually have software that will call you back if you hit "1" - but this option was only offered to me once (last week) and only after I'd been on hold for 15 minutes. BEWARE and do your diligence before purchasing this product.

Cynthia
  • Industry: Law Practice

Hope you never need to change your payment method.

Reviewed on 2023/04/24

I finally got connected with [sensitive content hidden] and that did the trick. He was knowledgeable and kind, despite my frustration after trying to get this done for 4-5 days. Sheesh. I’ve been billing via TIMESLIPS for 10+ years or I would switch to another program.

Pros

The program works fine. Customer support is ridiculously cumbersome. Do they really need this much security for a solo practitioner to change the payment information?

Cons

It took me almost a week to change the payment method on the account. When I tried to find a link through chat, that didn’t work. You have to go through a multi-step process to access your customer portal. And nothing is obvious from their website that contains the account info. Did their best programmer quit or something? This is crazzzzzzzy!!!

Janet

Timeslips Review

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

All of the features are pretty comparable to other billing software. I used to love their support, but not anymore. It is the reporting capability that I love. I am also disappointed the budget portion of the program doesn't work. I used it all the time in past years, and now it doesn't function and is of no value.

Pros

I love the reporting capability. I also like that it is user-friendly.

Cons

The support. It is almost impossible to get an answer promptly from Support, and it is very cumbersome. I have to jump through too many hoops for someone to help me. I used to love the support, but it has become horrible in the last several years. The operating system is not stable. I have been using Timeslips for twenty years and have stayed with it due to its reporting capability. I have found it unparalleled to other billing software.

Erin

Could be better

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

It is a good system for tracking time for multiple people. Overall, the software creates frustration for me though.

Pros

I like that it does a good job of keep details organized and available.

Cons

Timeslips is not very user friendly. I have been using the software for 8 years and still can't figure out how to adjust the format of invoices or rearrange as needed. There are also changes that happen with the A/R history that have been completely frustrating to fix.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Sage Timeslips

Its what we have had for several years, so we would lose the history.
John
  • Industry: Accounting

Timeslips experience

Reviewed on 2023/04/28

Generally positive, as compared with the alternatives.

Generally positive, as compared with the alternatives.

Pros

Quite easy to learn for new staff. Also allows real-time information for billing immediately after completing engagement.

Cons

Reporting terminology and report very confusing and not easily translatable to our business needs (accounting)

Glenda
  • Industry: Law Practice

Better than Quickbooks for our firm

Reviewed on 2023/05/03

Been using for years and tried other products and went back to Timeslips

Been using for years and tried other products and went back to Timeslips

Pros

Ease of getting billing data for each client prepared for court. Reports are needed for court filings and they can be printed quickly.

Cons

Wish it was easier to do the split billing

Janet

Sage Timeslips for Solo Practioners

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

Pros

-Accurate record keeping-Access of historical records for every client-Ease of picking components needed for small office-Ease of changing client identifiable information-Simplicity of adjusting rates for individual users -Ease of integration with our legal practice

Cons

-Help menu isn't specific for simple questions for anyone not familiar with program-Program is all too encompassing for a small office - too many extraneous features-Too expensive for a limited use office -Would prefer a less expensive program limited to the vital features -Would like an expanded online help presence

• Industry: Legal Services

When you elimnated everything else, you choose Timeslips

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

we can invoice our clients

we can invoice our clients

Pros

It enters time. It enters expenses. It supports funds accounting. It makes invoices. It has basic reporting

Cons

The mobile app stinks. The support is not great. The reporting feature is limited so you cannot create 1 report of an entire client's WIP, AR, Invoices, Funds and budget. The interface is slow. The built in backup service chokes file server performance, The interface has not changed in 15 years. There is no hosted option. Don't choose this software.

Ann

It's an ok product

Very frustrating

Very frustrating

Pros

It does billing and invoicing but that's about it

Cons

Very frustrating to get answers to questions; very frustrating to get through to tech support to get information; issues linger

Mariah

Antedated and Slow

Reviewed on 2023/05/09

Sage TimeSlips is not a product I would recommend to anyone. By not being user-friendly, it's difficult to train yourself and others on. We have had many issues with billing clients and onboarding process despite using the TimeSlips manual and sometimes help representatives. It's also frankly not worth the effort to learn all of the capabilities because it's an arduous and time-wasting process.

Pros

Timeslips is somewhat easy to use if you do not do anything complicated.

Cons

The program is incredibly nuanced and not very user friendly. It's pretty difficult to use and learn. Despite the constant updates it is also pretty antedated and uses too much data to run smoothly and incorporate in day-to-day practice.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Sage Timeslips

I did not. We choose TimeSlips nearly 10 years ago. Which training young people on has been nearly impossible.
Chris

Going To Clio

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

After using it since around 2000, I'm going to Clio. The screens are easier to read. It manages your entire practice easily. It is more economical. One does not run into the update ripoff robbery by Sage. The final straw is the Windows side of my MacBook Pro overloaded so I could not get on the internet (that is a complaint about Apple making hard drives only 512 gig in size...at least now you can get an 8 terabyte hard drive if you can wait for it to be shipped from China (hopefully Coronafree)). So when I revised the partition of Bootcamp, it wiped off Timeslips. I had made several backup copies. Now I have to buy 2020 to be able to get my data from Timeslips. Its the last money they'll get from me.

Pros

It allowed me to keep track of time and billing when nothing else was available.

Cons

It or your computer invariably crashes every 4 years and Sage won't let you redownload the version you have been using. Thus, you have to buy an "update" at $1,200.00 or more. The screen is structured so the print is too small. I have gone to Macs around 10 years ago so I have to run it under BootCamp because it is a Windows only program. Until recently it was not cloud based.

Jennifer

Review - 10 attorneys

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

We have had Timeslips for a long time. We recently went through a decision of continuing or discontinuing. After review of many others, we decided to stay with Timeslips due to the cost for each "user". We need to group together some of our clients (separate bills but they are grouped together).

Pros

We really like that we can have numerous people listed and don't have to pay for each one. Example, Paralegal work; attorney's initials; groups of certain billing under one name.

Cons

Sometimes you have to hunt for a way to do a report. It is unfortunate that the reports that they have listed do not help us much. We always have to customize. I also dislike that you cannot just purchase the program. You have to purchase a monthly program.

Deedra
  • Industry: Legal Services

Timeslips makes my life easier!

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

I am very please with all that Sage TimeSlips has to offer.

I am very please with all that Sage TimeSlips has to offer.

Pros

We use Sage TimeSlips in our legal office. The attorneys are able to use TimeSlips to enter their billable hours and I as the Office Manager am able to use it to do all of our billing and expenses that we send to our clients.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to get in touch with support. I have waited on hold for hours. I've found that the online chat is the best option for communication. Always make sure to get your service ticket number, just in case their solution doesn't work. Because depending on which package you choose you are only aloud to access help for free so many times before you are charged.

Lake
  • Industry: Legal Services

I used it for many years and would strongly advise against using it.

Reviewed on 2021/01/22

My overall experience has been extremely negative. I would not recommend this to anyone, except perhaps a very large organization that requires this level of customizability, has its own servers and IP department, and is willing to spend a lot of money. It is astonishing that it has been so consistently buggy, and, despite being very expensive, doesn't appear to be improved and maintained very actively. Steer clear.

Pros

It has many features and is highly customizable.

Cons

I've used many versions of it for many years, and every version has been chock-full of bugs. It's very expensive compared to competitors. It must be hosted locally, rather than in the cloud, as modern software of this sort would generally be. Usage and customization is extremely complex often requires that you hire an expert.

Paul

Sage story

Poor

Poor

Pros

It tracks expenses and payments but I cant tell what Ive billed the clients for previously. MY staff did a "work around" by doing everything twice and manually doing hte invoices... I put a stop to this once I found out about it after my office manager retired.

Cons

THe invoices dont show historical bills. Sometimes the "billing history" is empty. But there have been payments made for expenses. Also the quickbooks integration doesnt work and it causes me to go into "task manager" to kill QB whenever I need to use QB since the launch at ZTS opening didn't go off.

Steven

TimeSlips

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

I use it because of inertia and the time cost of switching and risks are great. But I would not recommend it. Their approach seams to be the customer is always wrong.

Pros

Generally, it covers all issues I need for billing efficiently and maintaining comprehensive records.

Cons

The program is buggy. It has always crashed. It is expensive. Moreover, there are occasional balance errors and no way for a user to fix those errors without calling TimeSlips and paying for customer service which is poor. When upgrading, there is a 30 day fee customer service period but it may be difficult to reach someone and the calls seem to be engineered so that there will be continued questions after the the 30 day period. The support period ends after a short period even though most ot the yearly upgrades are incremental.

Gabrielle

Timeslips support

Reviewed on 2023/04/30

Extremely frustrating when you need assistance, even when you have paid the extra fees for support services.

Pros

The billing reports are easy to create and it keeps track of the history for court purposes.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to get help when you have an issue, even when you call. I also paid the extra fees for access to support, but it has not helped at all. It is very impersonal to use the chat and it has NEVER helped. I still have the same problems and can't get them fixed because I can't get a person to communicate via telephone.

Carol

Time slips review 5-3-2023

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

I have used Timeslips for 28 years.

I have used Timeslips for 28 years.

Pros

Time slips is easy to use. I didn't want to learn a new system.

Cons

It is an unstable software and frequently gives error messages. You have to exit and restart the program. Right after I bought the last significant upgrade the tech support went to having to do an on line chat and then when that didn't work you could get a real person to call you. Always before I could call and get a tech person live 24/7.

Nina
  • Industry: Law Practice

Really not user friendly on some features

Reviewed on 2023/05/09

I solve the problem of time tracking and billing.

I solve the problem of time tracking and billing.

Pros

Very easy to enter a time slip for an activity and save it.

Cons

Hard to enter a new client. Asks dumb questions and doesn't allow you to skip entries.Billing and entering payments makes no sense. I always have to rethink it, every time. These are really awful features. The product has now become too expensive. I don't like that you have suckered us into a subscription product.

Mark

Valuable legal tool

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

Pros

I find the process easy to use and a very valuable tool of management of income, expenses and timeline activities

Cons

The thing I detest is there's virtually NO customer service unless elevated and back-door'd through Sales. The referral to help-list pages and community of users is absolutely ridiculous for a tool as expensive as this is. The fact I pay for a service contract and get no service unless I threaten to unplug is absurd and unacceptable.

Ashleigh
  • Industry: Legal Services

Works well keeping time to bill for attorney time, paralegal time and/or expenses!

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

It keeps our time accurately. Somewhat costly.

It keeps our time accurately. Somewhat costly.

Pros

I enables us to keep accurate time records of billable and non-billable time for attorneys, paralegals and/or expenses! There are tons of ways to customize what your bills look like. I love that you can review your timeslip entries prior to final billing.

Cons

Some of the customization features they have we would like to use on our final bill but it is rather difficult to manipulate the format to look the way you view in your mind. Also, it isn't the easiest to look at the pre-bills there is a lot of information on the pre-bill and looks a little crazy at first glance, but then after you take time and get used to it, the prebill is actually easy to understand!

Damien

Meh

Reviewed on 2023/05/02

I chose timeslips because I started working with it early in my career in 1992. I stayed with it when I went out on my own.

Pros

I like the timer function and the spell check features. I like the ability to record time on my phone and download it into the program.

Cons

I don't use it to its full capacity because I don't need to. But it has a lot of features. I don't like the biling format feature. It is hard to understand.

Shirin

okay

okay

Pros

I like it because i have been using it for years and i am familiar with it

Cons

I would like there to be an app feature for billing so that I can input my billing from anywhere. I also get regular complaints that the format of the bill is very confusing. My clients don't understand the bill and then call to get clarification which is a wasteful use of my staff's time.