StarChapter

Member-Friendly Association & Membership Management Software

Pearl
Pearl

Outstanding comprehensive association management system

Reviewed on 2016/01/21

I have used Star Chapter since 2012 for multiple associations I manage. Of all the association management systems currently available, I found Star Chapter to be the most comprehensive and cost effective online software on the market.

Pros

Star Chapter is user friendly for both members and administrators. Customer support is great and highly responsive to questions or problems. Training and resources for administrators and Board members are excellent. One of my groups consists of a senior chapter, a young professionals chapter and a non-profit 501(c)3 education foundation. They wanted one website for all three organizations with capability to manage each of them. The Star Chapter tech team was wonderful in working with our volunteer Board and communications committee to develop a website "skin" that would function on Star Chapter's system.

Cons

I have some Board members that find it cumbersome to RSVP for a meeting when responding to an email invitation. They would prefer a one click method to indicate if they will attend or not, rather than the multiple steps Star Chapter's system requires to login as a member and register to attend a Board or committee meeting that doesn't require a payment. I have asked Star Chapter to consider changing the system to allow for a "yes" or "no" response when members are responding to a system generated event invitation. We had this with Cvent and it worked extremely well.

Tracey

Choose StarChapter for a Streamlined, Easy-to-Use, Time-Saving Association Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

Before StarChapter, we had a website that we built and maintained ourselves. It was outdated and hard to administer. We used an email campaign software, an invoicing software, paid hosting fees, used a security software, and tracked attendees at our events in a spreadsheet — it was a bulky way of operating. Our organization looks so professional now! We were able to consolidate all our other systems into one which is such a time saver! I'm not sure we're saving any money, but the time, ease of use and professional image is worth it. I highly recommend that anyone in an association consider StarChapter. I couldn't be happier with a management software.

Pros

StarChapter has streamlined our volunteer organization's processes and saved each of us time — which is important as volunteers! It's eliminated the use of an email campaign system and invoicing system. It has streamlined our communication with the newsletter feature, and contacting members and non-members with the email templates makes our roles simpler. I love that each of our board members are learning how to maintain their own pages through StarChapter's Knowledgebase. Everything you need to know is in there and it's presented in a style that's easy to read, follow and understand. I've had to request support for a couple items that were more complex than what I could handle, and their support team has responded within a day or two to resolve the challenge.

Cons

I've been using the software for about eight months. I think I still have so much to learn — it's a very robust software — yet they do make it easy to use. I just wish I could dedicate more time to really diving in to understand the connections between the modules and how to maximize the software.

Kerry

Good for the basics

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

Pros

StarChapter combines all of the functions chapters use for membership/website/registration under one "roof". This can save time and provide additional functionality.

Cons

The options for website customization are quite limited, and the design options are very basic. Some functions also do not work well which can be aggravating.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Our new layout series, the M Series, is available! The announcement has had an overwhelming response. We are currently scheduling redesigns to this new layout series. If you'd like to add your chapter to the waitlist to start the new year with a new look, please submit a ticket to our support team. The impact of a brand-new website design on an organization can be significant to your membership, sponsorship, and volunteer programs.

Brenda
Brenda
  • Industry: Farming
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Life Blood of a Non-profit membership org

Reviewed on 2023/11/21

Excellent, team was helpful and responsive

Excellent, team was helpful and responsive

Pros

Dependable & customer service is good. Ease of use with knowledge base and tutorials

Cons

Can’t get membership auto renewals like we can in PayPal, so running 2 systems

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it as it helps us improve our offerings.

Debra

StarChapter

Reviewed on 2023/02/10

Overall StarChapter has been a tremendous help with our association management. It has made my job so much easier. The system is easy to manage and maintain. Our members are happy with being able to make payments easier.

Pros

StarChapter set up our website with our assistance, gave us minimal training, and responds quickly to any questions I might have. They provide help to my questions about adding to, deleting, and changing the website. StarChapter is my first experience with managing a website and has been a very easy to learn and maintain.

Cons

There are certain parts of our paperwork processes that have been a bit difficult to get used to on a website. But the StarChapter allows you to create support tickets to get assistance on adding or changing information. If the website does not allow certain additions, then the support area sends our suggestions to their management.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we appreciate your feedback.

Robert
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Society membership management

Reviewed on 2022/07/27

Have had a number of issues, looking at changing to something else that is more user friendly.

Pros

multi user capable. Everything handled in "one place"

Cons

difficult to maintain web pages. have to edit multiple places to update a page. Switched from accepting PayPal to their own credit card processing application. Does not accept any "foreign" card (any card from outside the US, this mean even Canada. We have a number of Canadian based members who can't be processed. Fees are high than PayPal. Can not accept (swipe or chip) cards onsite, have to manually key them in.

Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Was told it could do a lot of things that we later found out were not possible, at least not without major changes to our society operations and procedures

Constant Contact

was sold a lot of hype.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Dustin

Easy to use, Friendly for everyone

Reviewed on 2022/11/29

I really have enjoyed StarChapter overall and feel it has greatly modernized our organization top to bottom.

Pros

We needed an online membership database that was easy to update and accessible for multiple users. We also needed a way to integrate our website content and registration events. StarChapter made all of that easy and affordable.

Cons

I do not like how all of the membership must have an email. Some of our members change emails frequently because of their job titles or retire and lose access to previous emails. That has made some of our communication and connections difficult.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we really appreciate your feedback.

Desiree
  • Industry: Higher Education

Useful tool for Chapter management

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Overall, it’s a vast improvement from how we were managing our chapter. However, there are definitely parts that could be better.

Pros

This tool greatly helps us manage our chapter and events by automating processes that we used to do manually. Gone are the days of tracking everything with spreadsheets. New member sign ups and membership renewals are a breeze, we are able to link to a payment gateway and accept payment directly though or website, and best of all, members can update their contact information at any time. Event registration, sign-in, and payment is also easy. And being able to run reports from the software is great.

Cons

It’s difficult to update the website unless you have prior experience. The reporting function is lacking by not being able to include all data that we want. And while sending emails from the software is great, having to manage this or respond using an outside email provider is very cumbersome. It would be better if we could read emails in the software. Also, not being able to create and send continuing education credit certificates through the software is a huge miss!

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

It has the most components and was one of the more affordable options.
Tom
  • Industry: Insurance

Constant Contact vs Star Chapter

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

Member management will be better. All board members have access to snapshots of the business including revenue and meeting attendance.

Pros

Several features for chapter management seemed to be an advantage to Constant Contact. Communications to members, non-members and expiring members seemed to be be better.

Cons

Can't call anyone for support. Users are required to submit an online ticket and wait usually 24 hours to get an answer. This isn't helpful when trying to meet a deadline and run into trouble. Some event registrations don't show up in orders and I must do manual reconcilation of credit card payments (I'm told to avoid this we need to upgrade to PayPal Pro. Constant Contact worked fine with Standard Business PayPal). Requires our NAHU members to create an account and "log in" when registering.

Shelli

Good Platform

Reviewed on 2023/02/20

Star Chapter is a good platform for smaller (less than 400 members) organizations. Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to make changes to the website; processing orders into QB; overall, just too cumbersome and time consuming, which cuts into productivity of an organization.

Pros

Creating member categoriesInvoicingProcessing CC payments

Cons

Not integrating with Quickbooks desktop and online! Too many steps to create an invoice and send to membersReports needed that are not currently providedNewsletters do not have professional looking templates

MemberClicks

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

It was a platform I've used in the past and its affordability.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Heather

Horrible customer service and glitchy system

Reviewed on 2021/10/14

Our onboarding experience was HORRIBLE! Zero support, zero expectation management, and the SC team linked our membership page TO THE WRONG WEBSITE > as in, visitors to our membership page were redirected to another chapter that is in our geographic area and is OUR COMPETITOR. When we let our customer service lead know and asked her to fix the error, she responded with a one-word answer - "done".

Pros

I thought we would like that it was an all-in-one solution, but even that isn't worth the headaches of trying to use it.

Cons

Too many pros to list here but this box is requiring more characters . . . it doesn't integrate with any other tools, the website design options are incredibly limited, outdated and stale looking. Check out their website and have a look at the one positive testimonial listed - if you visit that site, you will see they are no longer using StarChapter!

GrowthZone

WordPress

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

I wish we had chosen otherwise! We will be ending our membership immediately and starting over with another solution.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Sandy

Star Chapter has been very beneficial to our Association

Reviewed on 2022/07/28

On the frontside, the website is beautiful and very user friendly. It has made us stand out from the other chapters and looks very professional. On the backside, it was more difficult to implement than I thought - I didn't understand when I signed up how much of the site I would actually have to create myself. That being said, now that I've been using it for a few months, it's quite easy to maintain.

Pros

It streamlines a lot of the processes we were doing through multiple platforms.

Cons

The turnaround time for support. When I'm stumped, I have to fill out a support ticket and it often takes 48 hours to hear back via email. It often isn't what I was asking and then it takes another 48 hours for the correct response. The functionality is usually there but sometimes difficult to find. It would be amazing to actually be able to speak with someone or at the very least, online tech support.

Wild Apricot

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Primarily to have a member management system (we were using an excel spreadsheet). All of the other functionality was an unexpected surprise.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

I liked the look of the websites better and it sounded like with Wild Apricot, I would have to completely design the website myself. I couldn't have done it without the Star Chapter design team.

Christie

Review from a small society

Reviewed on 2021/10/29

We were hindered somewhat by the Covid-19 pandemic and StarChapter was able to help me build some revenue building platforms. The support staff have been great and I think our website is beautiful.

Pros

Integration was easy and the support team did a great job. I felt we received everything we asked for and I am learning how to use the system everyday with the help of the support team.

Cons

Navigating and understanding my way around the website is my biggest challenge but I am new to this and feel that eventually I will get the hang of it.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs and was able to help during the pandemic.

Josh
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Honest Review

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

Overall it has served us very well. There are many "work arounds". From the perspective of someone who has done some software design, the navigation of star chapter is built on the concept the administrators don't want to see or understand the logic behind the scenes. This leads to a lot of confusion and as more and more people are forced to learn computers and programming type of understanding, it makes many navigational tabs very clunky, unnecessary, and confusing. For example, there is a very nice section for "Board Transition" which is somewhat of a hand holding to set up new profiles for board/leadership members and remove old or outdated members. It would be much easier to just have a section that says "Email Routing" where you can see the logic that "[email protected]" routes to "[email protected]". Instead it is a clunky process similar to a turbo tax style of question and answer that is not as easily understood.

Pros

This is great for organizations and non profit that need something simple to get them going. We use this to manage members, as well as host our e-commerce type transactions for events.

Cons

It is a bit clunky and not as intuitive when wanting to do more advanced level organizational management. For example, if a member has not renewed their membership there is a grace period and then the member gets moved to a different list. If that member wants to renew- they have to create a whole new login which adds to confusion when the user expects to just to be able to login and renew their membership. Since starchapter has membership level built into their pricing, it makes it very hard for organizations to keep a seemless record of "active" and "inactive" members. This makes a big difference when doing complex registration or selling of items on the e-commerce site. For example a member may get a certain discount versuses a non member. It is very clunky if a user wants to pay for a membership and get membership pricing of an event registration all at the same time. It is very limited in that logic.

WordPress

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We needed event registration and a way to easily and securely do transactions.

Celeste

StarChapter as a Platform

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

It’s 100 times better than the Wordpress platform we used previously, especially with regard to the membership piece. The four pieces of advice I would give are that:

1) it will make your life a lot easier if you have a central person who will be mostly responsible for knowing how to use the platform and doing most of the work on it.
2) If you are switching from an existing membership platform to StarChapter, anticipate that there will be bumps. Not horrible, but it will take a decent amount of time once it launches to get your membership acclimated to the new system and make sure the information is correct. Not everything will transfer over exactly the way you thought it would. Emails will need to be verified before anyone will be able to receive what you are sending. There is some hand holding of the membership during this stage.
3) Take time to get your members and non-members verified so that people are actually receiving your emails.
4) If you can, have a payment portal as part of your StarChapter system.

Pros

There is a learning curve to get familiar with the program, but once you do, it is pretty straightforward and relatively user friendly. It is nice to be able to use one platform for the website, events, and email communications.

Cons

Creating the events and communications can be frustrating from a formatting perspective if you aren’t used to it – but that is the same in most platforms. And also like most platforms, there are some quirks that you end up just working around to get it to do what you want.

It’s hard to keep the bookkeeping 100% accurate, so I wouldn’t utilize StarChapter’s reporting as your only source of financials.

Lillian
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Best Update for Our Chapter

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

My experience was great! From the first call that got my questions answered, getting everything set up, knowledgebase, and getting help when I can't find answers to my questions - it's been a very smooth process. I'm very happy with our selection and don't see us switching away from this platform.

Pros

Being able to have a Member Manager page, easier set up for events, invoicing system, and communication platform. These were all pieces missing previously. StarChapter has helped to make almost everything easier.

Cons

It can be difficult to update certain things. For example: getting the correct address to appear on invoices (or get it on invoices at all). It needs to be updated in three different places. It would be nice it you could change it in one spot (in settings for example) and have it feed to the others. Also, there seems to be a disconnect on the member login side. When a primary contact renews membership, it doesn't renew anyone else with them. Not sure how to fix that, but it hasn't been a major issue that needs to be addressed yet. Just a convenience thing.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket, and our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Susan

A great value

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

The customer service/tech support department is great. They are responsive and problem solvers. One of the great features of this software.

Pros

I like the newsletter feature the most. I can create digital newsletters by template.

Cons

The cons for the software are that it doesn't fit with how our association works. The software is more designed for "chapters" of associations as opposed to a single association. We have COMPANIES as members (we are a 506(c)(6) trade association), and staff of those member companies are also considered members. So the billing/invoicing feature doesn't work for us, nor does the online registration for the most part. I also don't use the mass email feature because we leave it up to our members to create their own accounts, and there are thousands of individuals who might do this. It is easier for me to use Constant Contact for an email database and I have a link on our website's home page that allows people to add themselves quickly to Constant Contact. I also use CC for online registrations. I use QuickBooks for all invoicing and for our membership database. The software witih StarChapter simply doesn't work in the direction I need for our type of association.

Parker

Great Product for our Organization

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Outstanding support, great looking page, great tools

Outstanding support, great looking page, great tools

Pros

This software transformed and streamlined our operations. We were able to save money by eliminating other IT platforms. We now can use the ticketing portal to directly sell tickets for our events.

Cons

The mass email communication system took us a little while to get used to. Once we did a few communications, it was easy to use.

Microsoft 365

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Ease of use and better quality

GoDaddy Website Builder

Cost, quality, support.
Judy

StarChapter Customer Support never makes me the fool

Reviewed on 2016/10/05

Having been with StarChapter for a couple years now, I really like the customer service experience. I've learned to check out the online videos (sometimes beyond my understanding), but I have learned that -- if things aren't clear -- submitting a Job Ticket gets a quick response. And unlike some other software companies I've used (but won't name), the people who talk to me or email back and forth with me until I understand NEVER make me feel like I'm the idiot who doesn't understand functionality. That's so refreshing! If you're a small one-person office like I am, with sometimes-help from college interns, I highly recommend StarChapter. They offer reasonable pricing with no long-term contract. They let you take your time in adopting the different feature capabilities. And once you're up and running, they're an awesome value for the monthly spend!

Pros

Ease of learning how to do stuff for someone who isn't a technology nerd. Sometimes that means my current intern has to look at the video and then show me, but once the lightbulb goes on, I can do 'most anything.

Cons

Some of their training videos have left me wondering what I just watched. That's when I reach out to a digital native / millennial to help me "get it." Or, I submit a job ticket.

Gitte

Not sure

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Frustrated. I am not a programmer. I do not know how to code. I don't understand HTML codeing or how a website works. I do not do this in real life AT ALL. I am frustrated by the fact that you think average folks would have any idea how to change website pages.

Pros

That it is customizable, I guess. I don't really have much else to say, but can't submit this until I type more characters.

Cons

I don't know how to use it. I am expected to do programming, code writing, design layout...I do not know how to do any of this. There is no one to call. I start a project, can't even figure out how to start it, send in a note, the next day someone gets back to me. I mean, it works in theory, but by that time I have moved onto other tasks and find it incredibly challenging to log back in, follow the prompts and get the result I need. Usually this leads to another question or something I cannot figure out how to do, and again, another help ticket, another day goes by. It would BE SO MUCH EASIER if your help team would just make the edit or change, instead of spending the time emails me how to do it. I am never going to remember how to do it 6 months from now, and will need to ask again. Your 'help desk' could be much 'helpier' if they just made the request happen. Done. We'd all be done. I am frustrated by not being able to call.

Deanna
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

WNY PGC Review

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

I overall like the website backend functionality and am looking forward to upgrades in the M Series frontend and hope for more modern backend features soon.

Pros

I like that all transactions are linked to the member accounts and that emails can be sent directly from the backend of the website and we do not need a secondary platform like constant contact to do so.

Cons

I do not like the unflattering emails. I would like your email capabilities to be like those of Constant Contact with nice templates to choose from and a more user friendly experience. Creating templates is difficult and is not self explanatory. The inability to change the REPLY TO in all instances is horrible as people generally trash emails received from unknown or unidentified users like those that read "info".

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, an update to the email functionality and templates will be available soon.

Marci
  • Used for 1-5 months

Review of StarChapter

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

If I could change to another association management software I would for numerous reasons.
The fact...

The fact that you have to submit a ticket and wait for someone to respond per email, then wait to be called is not convenient. Customer service should be readily available, any time, like with Constant Contact.

Fairly recently, Dec. 2, I sent an email, out of frustration, and copied [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who sold us the software:
My email -
"We feel like we were misled with the (lack of) training time. There was very limited time to build the site which left us not knowing where to begin. It was emphasized this is a user-friendly system, we disagree. It seems to be a lot of “back end building” in order to achieve front end results. The pages in the system all look alike, making it difficult to distinguish and learn the different sections. We would like to request additional training time, at no additional cost, to set up e-marketing templates and learn how to distribute the e-marketing announcements, to learn how to set up events/registration and to run reports from that event please, thank you."

An apology wasn't offered and nobody picked up the phone to see what could be done to rectify the situation. My request for help was basically answered by telling me training is offered as part of our standard support services and if there is a tool or task in the system that you want some additional training on, just submit a ticket with that request and your availability.

Pros

It provides all features/tasks in one software. Reports providing attendance, profits etc.

Cons

It's not user-friendly or intuitive as promoted. There's numerous steps to completing a task, revisions of different kinds are not in the same screens where things were created, all pages look the same no matter what category is being used (no color coding, no differentiation for easier learning), and a serious lack of graphics.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience, but I really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. Please let us know when you are available for a call to further discuss your feedback.

Douglas

StarChapter Recap

Reviewed on 2023/02/10

We have moved several association over to SC and while not perfect, the platform has met most of the needs. Development group as been good to work with.

Pros

Being able to make essesntially any updates to the various web pages. Can add page as needed too. Nice having the Knowledge base with videos for those new to SC.

Cons

Group renewals. Members from the same company can't select all at once and make one payment. Can't calculate dues based on unit count: ie: 442 units x $1, 732 units x $1, 84 units x $1. Forum posts should have option to email out automatically and members should be able to reply back to the entire group or click/link to the person/email that did the posting.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Melanie

Turned Our Organization Around

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

We have realized exponential benefits since we have transitioned to Star Chapter in 2017. We are much better able to manage our membership records and know what members do not renew so that we can continue to reach out to them for their renewal.

Pros

Ease of implementation, orientation to members, flexibility, ease of using various modules - meeting manager, newsletter, etc. What we were most pleased with was the ability to integrate with PayPal to streamline our dues and meeting registrations. We have seen a huge increase in the retention of members as well as new members since implementing Star Chapter

Cons

The only CON I can think of is not having the ability to pay for multiple members with one payment (i.e. company pays for 2+ individuals) Each member record stands alone and there is no bridge to a company name.

Dawn
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Lack luster

Reviewed on 2022/07/25

I am not happy with it and wish I had just kept WordPress.

I am not happy with it and wish I had just kept WordPress.

Pros

There really is not one thing that I can say I like about StarChapter.

Cons

There are too many steps to get around. All of the pages on the back end have similar names so half of the time is spent clicking around until you find it. The names of pages can't be changed. We have a long name, so everything is titled on the back end with "National Homicide Investigators Assoc" and it is the same with our forms. It should be able to be shortened to our initials we use NHIA. When we get emails we cant see what it is - Payment, registration, membership application.. I don't need to see the name of our org.. so all of that takes up all the space. In the store if we need to adjust the count, the way you have it set up is so counterintuitive. It would be extremely handy if the store integrated with a shipping site like Pirate Ship so orders could then be sent out seamlessly without having to keep tabbing back and forth between the pages and copying and pasting. We have had to do so many work arounds in order to get this software to work for us. I can't even sum up on here all that I dislike and have a problem with.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.