Seesaw

4.3/5

Sarah

Seesaw in Anderson One

Reviewed on 2021/02/12

I used Seesaw as a classroom teacher and now I enjoy getting to share the best ways to implement Seesaw in pre-K to 5th grade classrooms. I love seeing our ESL, speech, related, guidance, and administrators join classroom teachers on Seesaw so that the entire school is connected. It is by far my absolute favorite tool for elementary teachers!!

Pros

We have eight elementary schools in our district and they are all Seesaw for Schools. We have loved using Seesaw to engage our students, document learning, assess understanding, and communicate with families. Recently we used Seesaw blogs to connect our schools across the district so that they could share and comment on each other's writing.

Cons

Seesaw continues to update and make changes to make it easier for both teachers and students to use. We have made some suggestions for future updates but are very happy with the current product!

Summer
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

School liaison software

Reviewed on 2021/08/02

The software was given to us by the school during the online learning experience. It was supposed to allow children to know what they should be doing and what assignments were given. As parents we were given the parent access. There is a general feed where you can find some of the information. I do not know why all the information and postings are not there. There is also a journal section, where each teacher had a file that they would use per subject and where assignments and feedback was found. There is also an inbox section where messages with teachers are found - but if the teacher has not messaged first you can not message. I think the software has some really good ideas... but I think they could make it more organized and easier to use.

Pros

I am able to follow up on what the assignments are and whether or not my child had submitted the homework. I can see the teacher's comments about this too.

Cons

It is strangely set out. Sometimes you find information in the "home" section, sometimes in the "journal" section and sometimes in the inbox section and sometimes not at all! Teachers will say they have posted something, some of the kids will receive it and some not. I genuinely do not know if this is a software issue or user issue.
I was not happy that I could not directly message the teacher, especially in an emergency to say that the child was locked out of the online system, or chromebook had glitched or whatever. I feel that the software is "bitty" as though they had several good ideas and threw them together but that those ideas dont particularly communicate with each other. If the teacher had not messaged the child in the inbox then you would not be able to communicate with them. The organisation of the material is kind of chaotic. It would be better had things be arranged in folders rather than one long feed of assignments and uploaded student work. The only way that my child who was 8 and using this could upload his material was to use his camera on the chromebook to take a picture of the work as he held it up.... I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been for the teachers.

Katherine

Seesaw is hard work for parents

Reviewed on 2022/10/04

Pros

Allows teachers to keep in touch with parents on a daily basis using photos, messages and uploading homework tasks

Cons

It is difficult to understand where to find things that teachers have posted and un-intuitive. The design is poor. I don't enjoy having to use it daily, as it takes effort and could be much smoother.

Melissa

Seesaw heehaw!

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

Pros

This product was a lifesaver Especially during the beginnings of the pandemic when we were all scrambling to get information to the kids and collecting it without seeing them in person staying apart. It was a lifesaver. Whatever the price it was it was worth it.

Cons

Especially during the beginnings of the pandemic when we were all scrambling to get information to the kids and collecting it without seeing them in person staying apart. It was a lifesaver. Whatever the price it was it was worth it. However, scheduling for it to appear on the lesson plans at all it’s a good feature but I did not know how to do it by myself so I did it wrong many times in the beginning and we set a lot of time it would be nice to have a feature video that would demonstrate how to do certain functions because I didn’t wanna waste anyone’s time to show me so I have to play around with it by myself.

Suzanne
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Seesaw for the classroom

Reviewed on 2020/05/19

I love using Seesaw in my classroom. Students pick it up quickly and easily. Parents do not have a problem using it and are more likely to because they can see their child's work instantly. A child can upload their work through the day, and it is quick for me to review and approve. This makes it a great communication tool between school and home also.

Pros

This is user friendly. Parents and students have no problem using it. It is great to communicate and keep the parents involved in their child's schoolwork.

Cons

Seesaw and Schoology cannot be used together. If I could create something on Seesaw and post or link it to Schoology, that would be wonderful.

David

Great for E-Learning Days

Reviewed on 2023/03/29

We really love using Seesaw. We began using it in March of 2020 as part of the pandemic. I typically use it for e-learning days but there are times I use it for in-person assessments or additional activities in a unit. At times, I might assign an activity as part of reading or math centers. It's a great way to have students complete work on their own.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to use Seesaw for assigning work on e-Learning days. The activities that Seesaw has in their library is great. I usually am able to find an activity that is already created in the library. If I do create an activity on my own, the process is super simple. I like the ability to upload PDF's, photos, and URL links seamlessly to an activity.The student journal and activity dashboard is very well organized. I like being able to see how many students have completed an activity. I also like the ability to "send back" an activity if a student doesn't complete it correctly.

Cons

I would love to have a way to connect the grading to an existing grading software (powerschool, sycamore, etc.).

Stacey
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

My Favorite

Reviewed on 2020/11/26

Pros

There is so much you can do with Seesaw! I have used it for 3 years now and I can't say enough about how amazing it is. I became an ambassador for it 2 years ago and use the paid version. It's also includes an extension where students can take screenshots and embed them into their work. They have made many upgrades through out the years as well. I love how they change and adapt to their clientele.

Cons

The paid version is amazing, the free version is still good but not nearly as many features.

Denice

Seesaw: Easy to Use and a Great Way to Stay in Touch with Families

Reviewed on 2021/08/10

I can't imagine not using Seesaw now that I have used it for a number of years.
I text with parents...

I can't imagine not using Seesaw now that I have used it for a number of years.
I text with parents and share pictures so they can feel like part of the classroom community.
This year, we did many activities and posted them so kids had a real audience for their work.
My early readers love recording themselves reading . . .they are so proud!

Pros

The ease of use of Seesaw amazes me. It can be used on phones, computers or tablets.
I started using it to keep in touch with parents a number of years ago. This year I finally started trying the activities functionality and loved it. There is a free version and a paid version. This year our district paid using COVID funds. I cannot say enough good things about this product. I teach kindergarten, and my "littles" are independent with the tools in no time.

Cons

I would like to see a behavior tracking function like Class Dojo.

jenifer

Seesaw is Amazing!!

Reviewed on 2021/06/25

I love using Seesaw because of the ease of use for the teacher, ability for students to explain their learning in their own voice, and how easy it is to communicate with parents.

Pros

I love the ability to communicate with families in real time and share all the wonderful things happening in my classroom. I also love that even my youngest students can create short videos and add their voice to drawing in order to explain their learning.

Cons

This company really listens to its users! The only suggestion I had would be to add more pages to each activity, and they already added that as soon as customers requested it.

Marcie

Seesaw Is A Sanity Saver! A+A+A+

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

My experience with SeeSaw has been FANTASTIC. Our school district is & has been doing remote learning exclusively since the last part of the last school year. I have 2 children 1 in 3rd grade and 1 in 1st. I AM NOT A HOME SCHOOLING MOM. This is all new to me. When the switch to remote learning happened it was a mess. Each of the kids had multiple sites, apps, etc where they had different passwords, assignments, and assigned time. It was impossible to keep up, I was always missing information and assignments. Fearful the kids were falling behind and we were doing school work from the time we woke up til the time we went to bed & still didn't have everything completed & turned in. I was overwhelmed/devastated at just the thought of doing that again this year. But, now we are using SeeSaw and I have my sanity & time back! Everything is in one place. The kids can use it independently. I am no longer missing information or assignments. It has Been a life saver. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Pros

It is easy to use! Well structured! Nothing unnecessary added, simple, organized, easy to learn and easy to use!

Cons

Lack of direct communication features ie, messaging or email between parents and staff all In one centralized place.

Allison

We LOVE Seesaw

Reviewed on 2021/11/11

Pros

Seesaw is an amazing product that our students and teachers love using. It is extremely easy for our students to use and gain confidence quickly. It continues to improve every year. Seesaw does a great of listening to its teachers when they make improvements.

Cons

I wish there was a way to be able to schedule schoolwide/class announcements.

Patty

Students find it easy!

Reviewed on 2021/07/16

The company provides lots of training materials to use so that folks aren’t able to get up to speed on using it. This makes it simple to onboard new staff, and to find answers you need quickly.

Pros

Seesaw is very intuitive and easy to use for teachers as well as students. Our students use it weekly, and have become experts on this, showing the adults how to use it. In a year like we just had, transitioning from remote to hybrid and back to in person multiple times, Seesaw was a constant and became an anchor for our district.

Cons

Nothing here to complain about! Seesaw works as it’s intended to work. We have not had any failures with the product in the three years we have used it.

Devon
  • Industry: Online Media

A Parent's Perspective

Reviewed on 2023/07/06

Has been great.

Has been great.

Pros

Daily notifications, ease of notifications

Cons

I have no concerns with the product based on the way that I use it daily.

Haley

Easy to use and great for families

Reviewed on 2020/09/03

Pros

There is little guess work with the app- you know exactly how it works.

Cons

I do not have any cons for the Seesaw app

Rachel

I am a fan with some would be better ifs

Reviewed on 2021/08/01

Pros

I love that you can filter the children’s work in so many different ways.

Cons

I would like to be able to start typing a response to the children’s work, as I’m listening / watching the video but you can’t do both at the same time.

Mom and Teacher

Reviewed on 2024/02/15

Pros

Communication with teachers directly. Usually quickly respond

Cons

Not enough information about the calendar of the events for their studies

Carina

Such a fun addition to our second grade year!

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

It was a wonderful and really positive addition to our second-grade year! We loved having this option.

Pros

Seesaw was so fun and easy to use. I loved getting daily reports from my child and getting to see her work. I loved that I could leave an encouraging note back and also communicate with the teacher.

Cons

Nothing - overall a really positive experience. As long as the teacher provides balance and moderation (which is on the teacher not the software) I think it is a very positive tool for classrooms.

Rhianna

Well organized!

Reviewed on 2021/06/02

Overall I highly recommend for both professionals and parents alike.

Overall I highly recommend for both professionals and parents alike.

Pros

I loved how organized and user friendly it is. Having multiple kids it allowed me to keep track of each one.

Cons

The notifications didn’t always come through as priority

Jeff
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reflecting in Education

Reviewed on 2024/03/17

It has been wonderful as a teacher and as a parent to be able to have seesaw.

It has been wonderful as a teacher and as a parent to be able to have seesaw.

Pros

Seesaw gives the students a platform to reflect on their learning. This is an often overlooked aspect of education. It also keeps parents connected to whats going on in their students classroom.

Cons

Sometimes, if the students are not trained well, it becomes just a fun place to mess around.

Cara

Great for updates teachers and parents

Reviewed on 2022/07/15

Pros

Easy to set up and use, very secure, amazing to get reminders and pictures of kids

Cons

Wish the direct messages system was better

Katie

Great App to connect with Teachers/Families

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

My overall experience with Seesaw has been great. With COVID and remote learning this is a great app!

Pros

This app is a great way to connect with Teachers/Families. Teachers can post assignments, pictures and updates. This app makes it easy to go to one location to view all your students information

Cons

My only hang up is when a link is posted it is very small so you have to know to look for it. For younger kids it can be a bit confusing

Jessica
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Wonderful for project based learning

Reviewed on 2022/02/18

This has been a perfect tool for rti!

This has been a perfect tool for rti!

Pros

I love how students can take everything they have [SENSITIVE CONTENT] in a lesson and respond to a prompt with a video. This directly relates to our speaking standards, and kids love it! I can also share their video presentations with their parents or the principal!

Cons

I wish there was a larger database of premade assignments.

Sherrill
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used for 6-12 months

Seesaw

Reviewed on 2021/05/23

Pros

I love the convenience of Seesaw. I am able to send messages to students and their families all
In one place. I also love that they are able to send videos of themselves speaking so I can listen to their speech sounds.

Cons

As an SLP, I needed to wait for teachers to get the upgraded paid version of seesaw to add me as a coteacher because they could only have so many coteachers.

Gwen
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Parents Communicating with a Teacher

Reviewed on 2021/10/20

I think Seesaw is an unnecessary complication in the communication chain between parents and teachers and it adds one more piece of tech to the lives of those already overwhelmed or overloaded with programs and apps. It's easier and more intuitive to use email.

Pros

I can read posts by other parents and view photos taken by them during class trips, school functions, etc.,

Cons

This program is not intuitive even if you are young or have a tech degree. We are still trying to figure out how to send private messages, because otherwise your posts go out to all of the parents. Furthermore, I am having posts credited to me that I didn't write. Even the teacher struggles with it.

Jenny
  • Used for 1-5 months

Parent Perspective

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

I'm thrilled this software give our teachers the capability to continue to educate my children remotely in these crazy times.

Pros

As our school has recently been forced to remote learning for a short period of time, lower elementary teachers are using Seesaw as their teaching platform. Today was my first experience with it as a parent, and I love the quality of the information our teacher was able to share, and the way my student could interact with posted activities.

Cons

It's confusing as a parent to know where to look to find things from the teacher. It's not very intuitive in this regard and could use improvement.