QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Randy
Randy

QuickBookds Desktop Pro is a winner

Reviewed on 2021/12/17

Have used and supported QB Desktop Pro and all its other flavors successfully for over 20 years

Pros

Industry standard for easy of use accounting software; easy to implement; many useful and essential features

Cons

Inexperienced users without proper training can Quick(ly screw up your)Books

Daniel
  • Industry: Accounting

One of the best desktop software solutions

Reviewed on 2023/09/08

It is a great piece of software, although online software is slowly but surely taking over the industry

Pros

Great reporting features, allowing for customised reports on various multi-levels of reporting with different classes, tags etc.

Cons

Need to do regular backups of the data, updates of the software and data from later versions not compatible with earlier versions of the software

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

To have better reports for a construction company

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was a great product with all the needed features
vincent
  • Industry: Market Research

Automate your business billing and invoicing through Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Reviewed on 2024/01/08

My experience with this software is second to none. I mean, the challenges of doing reconciliation every month have been reduced by a click of a button.

Pros

I like the fact that this software gives me flexibility to link my various bank accounts while at same time manage my workflow with ease. Since I started using the software, the hassle of managing employees payroll drastically reduced.

Cons

I would note that there is limitation actually with the size of the file as well as with data.

Michael

Quickbooks Desktop is still the Goto bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

Probably the last remaining bookkeeping software in the bookkeeping industry from the older years though many online bookkeeping services are available, hence Intuit is pushing QB Online version instead of the desktop version which is Superior in functionality but not access for obvious reasons.

People MUST LEARN how to use QB PROPERLY to avoid MANY issues caused by the users themselves who are too lazy to learn and to use. Do NOT blame the QB or tax professionals that are hired to fix the QB owners messes!

Pros

Relatively simple to use especially if you're on the cash basis of accounting.
Can delete many entries.

Cons

Accrual basis can be confusing, if not difficult, especially when you use invoices/receipts since you have to 'link' them to when you actually pay the invoices or receive payment, which many people do NOT, which causes the problems!
Do NOT use 'Undeposited Funds', EVER! Just deposit the receipts! Many people do NOT clear/reconcile the 'Undeposited Funds' account which causes LOTS of problems!
QB Owners REFUSE to learn how to use the software properly hence the large amount of Errors because many don't know how to use the software and do NOT know basic bookkeeping concepts/usage!
Intuit is making Older QB versions Obsolete every ~3 years by dropping support and updates.
AVOID QB payroll unless you KNOW what you're doing! Otherwise, pay an external payroll company to do your payroll! THIS is especially true when benefits are added!

Toshia
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

QuickBooks

Reviewed on 2023/11/22

It was ok i used it for about nine years and only used about fifty percent of the features.

Pros

It was very convenient being able to use multiple business on the same software.

Cons

The set up was confusing and hard to customize for beginners.

MyTAXPrepOffice

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I was tired of trying to figure out how to use all the settings

Personalize

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Recommendation of another person told me it was good.
Johnny
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Low cost solution with frequent upkeep

Reviewed on 2023/11/15

After all of our maintenance issues I would never use Quickbooks Desktop again. Cloud version is the way to go.

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop is a low cost solution for our Finance department that requires a lot of maintenance. It's fairly easy to use and gets the job done when the application is working properly.

Cons

We use it on a server because having several individual workstations running the software was a nightmare. The server frequently locks up and needs to be restarted weekly due to the high usage. The application also has issues with printing every so often because it relies on the Microsoft XPS Document writer. If the printer gets removed or corrupted, it is a pain to recover. Also updating to the latest release can be a pain because the install has issues sometimes.
Because of all these issues, I highly recommend moving to Quickbooks online.

Tialee

All in one place

Reviewed on 2024/01/20

Pros

This provides a one stop shop for everything needed. You can process payroll, do invoicing, access client files and books by simply gaining access from there end.

Cons

Not everything can be easily located, the platform does take sometime getting familiar with.

Helena
  • Industry: Accounting

Good, but pricy accounting software

Reviewed on 2024/01/18

Pros

It’s comprehensive and easy to learn for me

Cons

It is very pricy and also I don’t like that it is not on cloud

Melissa
  • Industry: Accounting

Love the software, but not the price increase

Reviewed on 2024/02/16

Pros

Ease of use is good. Happy with product but not price.

Cons

Not happy with price change, but otherwise good

Heath

Can do the job, but..

Reviewed on 2024/01/19

Pros

I appreciate that they have a full spectrum of features for just about any accounting task you have.

Cons

I found Quickbooks Desktop Pro to be entirely overcomplicated and non user friendly. And if you had a problem with the software, good luck getting it fixed.

Alan
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The investment is worth the time and convience

Reviewed on 2020/10/27

Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros

The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons

The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was okay but it lacked in features that QuickBooks had that wave didn't.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks is a big name already and I've been recommended by colleagues to use overall I'm very satisfied my complaints are very minor about it. I wouldn't switch
Tara
  • Industry: Accounting

By far the superior bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2021/11/15

Customer service is terrible, but that is the same for all of Intuit. It is a shame because 20 years ago they were #1 in customer service and now they're at the bottom. However, I will never use any bookkeeping product other than Quickbooks Desktop in my office. No other program can even come close in functionality. No other program has the same ease of use. That being said, I don't recommend it for just anyone. If you do not know how to do bookkeeping or don't have a propensity for it, don't buy Quickbooks desktop or Quickbooks online and assume you can do your business bookkeeping. Consult with a professional.

Pros

The general ledger is my favorite. I will not use software that I can not make general ledger journal entries in. I love the tax tracking. It has the best tracking of payroll and sales taxes if it is properly set up. And adjustments can be made if necessary - which in my state is every quarter.

Cons

I do not like that we now have to log-in with an "intuit ID." I bought desktop software because I want to use it on my desktop. I do not want all of my software connected to the internet all of the time. I do not want my client accounts connected to my intuit ID and I do not want them to have to have their own intuit ID accounts. They aren't using the software, I am. They aren't doing the bookkeeping and payroll, I am. And if Intuit's servers are down or if the internet is down and I can't log in, well then I can't work and that doesn't work for me.

Wave Accounting, Xero and QuickBooks Online Accountant

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quite simply, it is the best and it is designed for bookkeepers and accountants.
Matt
  • Industry: Farming

The industry standard

Reviewed on 2022/10/14

QuickBooks is widely used by many different types of businesses therefore, it is supported and understood by most typical CPAs and tax attorneys. Bankers are also familiar with it, as well. It does a great job of tracking income and expenses, and tax related items. While lacking in farm specific functions, it does the others so well that you can trust you’ll have good information come tax time

Pros

QuickBooks is the industry standard for small and medium size businesses. It is known by most CPAs and bookkeepers, so it is easy to get answers for any questions you may have.

Cons

QuickBooks has the most standard set of features needed for most small businesses, however it is not tailored for some of the intricacies of farming.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

GnuCash seems to have all the functionality that an accounting package would need, and is free and open source, but not widely used and accepted by accountants, CPAs, and bankers. Since we rely on a CPA for our depreciation and tax preparation, we made the switch to QuickBooks, which is widely known by CPAs. After doing it for a few years, and getting comfortable doing bookkeeping, I feel like I could make GnuCash work if I tried it again.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I chose the desktop version because I was not interested in the online features or sharing functionality, since it is just my self doing most of the entries. I also was not interested in having a monthly subscription. I preferred to buy the software one time.
Kala

General Contractor's review of QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reviewed on 2022/03/28

Overall we are very pleased with this program. We use it for tracking our accounts receivable, our expenses and payroll. We will be longtime customers!

Pros

This software is so easy to use! We are able to invoice our customers and keep a running balance of our A/P and A/R so we can track our monthly income. Easy referencing for customers by their name, account number, address and any other identifying information to easily access the account you are looking for. We have also linked QB to our CRM and each invoice created and payment links to both programs so the sales team can track their accounts, without needing access to QB. We love this program!

Cons

The only issue I have had, is when we do link payments to our CRM program, sometimes there is 5-10 minute delay before it registers. I can't say if this is an issue on AL or QB, either way, if we need access to the updated invoice immediately, it is available in QB.

Webex, Adobe Acrobat Sign and Weebly

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks has the best reviews and ratings overall. We needed a program that we could rely on to track our business's progress. QuickBooks has done that!
Zuzana
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Desktop Pro is great as entry to manufacturing

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

I've used QB for 20+ years and this program does it all in a complex business environment until you grow enough to need enterprise. (From a manufacturing standpoint)

Pros

It's reasonably priced and does all the features I currently need pretty well. Customer service is great.

Cons

Inventory management is slightly clunky unless you bump up to enterprise which is a commitment. Adding users is also clunky but do-able. Working on desktop remote and in the office or some variation on that is VERY clunky but also do-able if you can find the right solution for your situation.

NetSuite and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

The others are Significantly more expensive.
Koralyss

Adaptable Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2023/10/07

Pros

This is an accounting software, extremely important to effectively run any business. It’s quite affordable, and at the same time it’s flexible enough to adapt to your company’s needs without limiting you to any safety features.

Cons

Customer service is very poor. Simple questions are extremely difficult to get answered or corrected.

Johnny

Very Functional, but Complicated; With Irritating Pop Up Ads

Reviewed on 2021/05/14

Overall it's positive, and the software is very powerful. Even after two years (and a degree is computer science), I am still learning things with it. The bank export to QuickBoosk import feature most banks offer has saved me many hours of time doing monthly accounting, that alone makes it work it. The pop up ads on start up (which slow down my PC even more than the software otherwise would) are very very frustrating.

Pros

This software is very full featured. I use it for a few businesses; residential and storage unit rentals. The software has can do most everything that you would want it to do for this type of business. There's great features for setting up recurring invoices for tenants, generating all types of reports to track how your rentals are performing, and the PayRoll add on is very helpful for paying employees and dealing with quarterly and annual taxes. One very huge pro is that most banks allow you to export transactions from the bank website software into QuickBooks format, and then you can import them into QB. This saves me tons of time as I have many transactions related to the self storage business, and it makes monthly account reconciliation much much easier.

Cons

There's a steep learning curve here. Many of the features and options are not intuitive at all (ironic since the company that owns this software is named Intuit). I used simple spreadsheets before this, I'm very computer oriented, and I still don't use many of the features available in this software after a few years. I switched at the recommendation of my accountant, and a steep discount in my annual tax preparation costs. There's just so much to learn here! There are tons of web tutorials available to learn things, but you have to be aware of a feature in order to know that you can use it. If you have someone that can show you the ropes, or you're willing to dig in and learn, then I recommend this software. The only major complaint that I have about it is the pop up advertisements. When you start the software, you frequently get pop up ads. This is super irritating, and it doesn't seem to matter if you click the 'Don't show this again' button. I've already bought your software, STOP SPAMMING ME!

Michael
  • Industry: Music

My 2nd Try At a Bookkeeping Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

I didn't need a Bookkeeping program, I had a business account, deposited all my receipts from the business into that account. I paid all my business bills from that account. The BANK did my books! We moved back to Wisconsin in '98 where I had to collect sales tax. So I got a Bookkeeping program to keep track of my sales tax.

Pros

It did what I needed it to do, kept track of my sales tax for the State and up to 8 Counties I serve. Due to it being installed on my desktop it was programed with the tax regulations for my state of Wisconsin. When it's time to file the sales tax you have to have the complete sales for the year and the complete sales number of non-taxable sales. QB Desktop Pro always had those numbers ready for me.

Cons

I had no one to teach me, I was figuring it out as I went along, so I didn't get some of the vendors put in correctly at first. I had to re-work parts of it for income tax time and I never did figure out how to connect my bank.

Beverly

A good accounting program for beginners and advanced users

Reviewed on 2022/08/24

I think QB Desktop Pro is good for beginners as well as those who have a little experience. You can use what features you need and ignore the rest. It's easy to find answers to your questions if you have questions. Plus it really is pretty much a standard in accounting software.

Pros

I think what I love the most is the customer service. I am a self-taught bookkeeper so I learn as I go. This was VERY easy to use from the beginning. As time has gone by, if I need to do something that I've done before, I can do a search on-line and most of this get an answer that steers me in the right direction. If I still can't figure it out, I talk to customer support and they are very good at walking you through your problem. Let's face it - things happen! They are always there with no exception within just a couple of minutes.

Cons

For the most part, QB does a decent job with all aspects of the software. I did have a hard time understanding that deposits needed to go through the "receive payments". I had a pretty good mess at first. But I don't blame that onto QB. It was just one aspect of accounting that I didn't understand at first. I know Intuit is trying to push everyone to QB online but I'm not comfortable with it myself. Last I checked, you weren't allowed to make a copy of your file and store it on your computer. I realize Intuit thinks all that information is stored safe in the cloud but I can think of a million scenarios where that information could be lost or stolen. I refuse to allow myself to believe all will be well just because they say it will be.

Jillian
  • Industry: Accounting

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Ron
Ron

Solid product

Reviewed on 2022/06/03

Good experience! I highly recommend this software.

Good experience! I highly recommend this software.

Pros

This is just a very good all purpose accounting software application. It has all the features you will need to run a small business. The desktop interface is easy in part because Inuit has leveraged familiar tactile forms in the user interface. (Entering a cheque, looks like a cheque). Lots of time saving features such as “Quick Add”, “Memorized Transactions”, etc. make repetitive tasks easy. A variety of valuable business rules are incorporated into the functions of the software based on configurable Preferences.

Cons

I think the biggest detraction from the software is Intuit’s support. I have used Quickbooks for over 18 years and I have learned how avoid most issues, but if I encounter an error, I know it’s the start of a painful process. It can be a hit or miss experience as I have reached some good support staff. But in general, Intuit makes it very difficult (by design) to communicate with support. There are very few defects that remain (example: recording a PST commission has never worked correctly), but again, over time I have found work arounds. Some of the features such as banking integration were good concepts, but have not been refined to make them useful for the average user. Maybe there is a way to configure this functionality to work as desired, but again the lack of access to good support staff has caused me to give up on this feature.

Vassili

Good overall

Reviewed on 2022/11/15

QB is easy to use even for someone who doesn't come from accounting background. I would strongly recommend that you enlist the help of your CPA to setup your accounts correctly in the beginning, it will save you a lot of time and headache. If your accounts are setup properly and you remember to enter your transactions and make sure your books balance it mostly works flawlessly, will be a good accounting system for years. As it is de-facto industry standard it is also easy to share information with your CPA

Pros

-Easy to use. Set it up correctly and a lot of things simply happen naturally- Good reports. They provide good info out of the box and you can customize them- Very solid billing/invoicing- Easy to share with your CPA

Cons

Sometimes things don't work right and as they have the monopoly they have no urge to fix them. Example: the software will not automatically apply credits to invoices or show them, you have to remember that the customer has credit.Also while their support is good overall and will genuinely try to help you sometimes you bump into completely incompetent reps. Then sometimes they just stick to the script and say they basically cannot do anything for you

• Industry: Telecommunications

We love it - when it works

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

I personally did not choose this software and would readily change to another software if it was my choice.

Pros

It's a real workhorse and it does everything that we need it to do in the realm of accounting and payroll for our small business.

Cons

Customer service is Very bad. We upgrade every year, but we spend at least 4 or 5 hours two or three times on the phone until they get it right. We have three user licenses and five computers (some users have laptops), and somehow the company file gets inaccessible and other problems keep returning. One person did something to one computer and it never worked right again, and they actually told us on the phone that they don't guarantee that what they do remotely isn't going to screw up the computer. We're in the middle of another "upgrade" right now, and again, they've managed to screw up the network. We host our company file on one computer, and all the other ones have to access it there, yet they installed the new software as "store file on this computer" for all of them yesterday. Today, we're on the phone (going on three hours) again, this time to undo all the screwups from yesterday. NOT pleased. Also, now we have to save the accountant file to media and hand deliver b/c the file is "too big" and the only way to solve that is to compress all the old data, which we need to be able to use frequently. Not happy with the customer service.

Melissa
  • Industry: Environmental Services

QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO

Reviewed on 2018/08/12

It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros

Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons

The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

Response from Intuit

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions.

When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer.

Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Marlon
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

My Quickbooks Life ♥

Reviewed on 2022/11/30

Like what I said above that the product is highly recommended, easy to use, affordable and we can use it when we have small business.

Pros

For 5 years of supporting people using the software (Quickbooks) and me myself using it I really recommend the product because it is easy to use and user friendly aside form that you can also send invoices through email without mailing it to customers. We can track and see expenses and where our business was. We can file taxes and pay also liabilities through Quickbooks. We can create payroll on this software also.

Cons

It should have reminder or notification if the patch is not updated or need to update the software to make sure we can use Quickbooks smoothly aside from it I can't think of any problem with Quickbooks. I hope that we can improve more the software like having memos and guides in YouTube for beginner who wants to use the software.