QuickBooks Desktop Reviews

Randy
Randy

QuickBookds Desktop Pro is a winner

Reviewed on 2021/12/17

Have used and supported QB Desktop Pro and all its other flavors successfully for over 20 years

Pros

Industry standard for easy of use accounting software; easy to implement; many useful and essential features

Cons

Inexperienced users without proper training can Quick(ly screw up your)Books

Peter

QuickBooks Desktop the elephant in the room

Reviewed on 2023/11/28

It works and a lot of people know it. You can get yourself into more trouble than with some similarly priced products, but the are not as easy to use.

Pros

Easy to use and learn and a lot of people know it.

Cons

Technical support is not the best and it should be a lot better.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop

No longer supported by manufacturer (Sage) and not very many experts out there.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

We are still suspicious of the cloud and our internet is not 100% up.
Russell
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Difficult to setup for small businesses that use BOM

Reviewed on 2024/06/10

Pros

I liked the interface, the layout, the GUI, and the ease at which certain functions were setup.

Cons

Could not find a competent expert to help me setup BOM's. I build custom desktop computers so I need to consolidate components into one output and could find no easy way to make this happen in Quickbooks.

Stacie
  • Industry: Accounting

Great accounting software for small business

Reviewed on 2024/03/23

Overall a great product for small business accounting and payroll

Overall a great product for small business accounting and payroll

Pros

easy to use great reports and very flexible

Cons

Can't always get the reports you need. Connected online account always monitoring your use. trying to push you online constantly

Quickbooks Desktop Pro- A Powerful Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2021/06/20

It provides the ability to easily customize customers' data, invoices, and reports. It integrates well with third-party applications. Exporting transactions from the bank and importing them into the software makes monthly reconciliation easy. Auditing the books is easy as there is a chronological tracking of transactions affecting each item. Whereas Quickbooks Desktop Pro is a powerful, affordable software with great features and is less costly to run, we had to switch to Quickbooks online which is cloud-based, has more automation and integrations with third-party applications. Quickbooks Online is also more user-friendly.
In my experience, choosing between Quickbooks Desktop Pro and Quickbooks Online is more about the organization's preferences and needs, and less about which one is better than the other.

Pros

It is powerful accounting software that is ideal for well-established organizations that have been in business for a while. It is great for bookkeeping and very helpful when it comes to filing taxes at the end of the financial year. It does not require frequent upgrades unless there are changes that affect a specific feature. It is great for generating various reports, setting up recurring invoices, and processing payroll.

Cons

It has a steep learning curve in the initial stages and requires some accounting knowledge. It is locally installed, therefore, inaccessible while on the move, and if you choose to have it hosted virtually, that comes at an additional cost.
Customer support isn't as great as we expected and issues take very long to resolve.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

A number of accountants highly recommended it.
Daniel
  • Industry: Accounting

One of the best desktop software solutions

Reviewed on 2023/09/08

It is a great piece of software, although online software is slowly but surely taking over the industry

Pros

Great reporting features, allowing for customised reports on various multi-levels of reporting with different classes, tags etc.

Cons

Need to do regular backups of the data, updates of the software and data from later versions not compatible with earlier versions of the software

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop

To have better reports for a construction company

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

It was a great product with all the needed features
Timothy
Timothy

Quirky but effective

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

I am putting up with it since it is already payed for. This might work for most people and companies but I realized that I probabrally will just need to develop my own so that it can do all the things that I actually need it to do.

Pros

The software integrates well with PayPal and can import all of my line transactions which is nice. There is basically a report for everything. I like how the software will not let you enter incorrect information (double-sided accounting entries must match).

Cons

The cost is expensive. Even more so if you want to be able to use the online version. The license will only let you use on one computer. It is customizable to a point but really doesn't allow me to do exactly what I need to easily. I always have to find work arounds. It takes forever to load and uses a lot of resources.

Desiree
  • Industry: Insurance

Quickbooks desktop pro

Reviewed on 2024/06/01

Pros

I like how i can use quickbooks pro with other software seamlessly

Cons

There is nothing i do not like about this app

Zarmin

Exceptional bookkeeping program

Reviewed on 2024/06/05

Great experience & was recommended to neighbor practice

Great experience & was recommended to neighbor practice

Pros

We were able to log each MD's expenses, the company's expenses, daily ledger, accounts payable & receivable.

Cons

No issues because I've used same program with previous company

Rickie

Great System

Reviewed on 2024/05/25

Easy to set and get started. Great for tracking sales, invoicing, closing reports. Highly recommende...

Easy to set and get started. Great for tracking sales, invoicing, closing reports. Highly recommended

Pros

Very user-friendly. Very easy to set up and get started.

Cons

In our location we have yet to encounter any issues with platform.

Gary
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Good, but...

Reviewed on 2021/04/29

I have used QuickBooks for two decades and for eight years in my current position. It fully meets our needs for day to day accounting, preparing reports for our Board and for processing payroll. However, their support is very poor and reaching a human being is incredibly frustrating.

Pros

QuickBooks Desktop is a powerful accounting package that offers good value for the cost. It has a lot of features that can address most of the needs of a small business.

Cons

QuickBooks will let an inexperienced user do just about anything they want which can result in a real mess if you're an accountant trying the prepare financial statements or tax returns. But with some training from an experienced accountant/user, a lot of the day to day accounting can be accomplished by a relatively inexperienced person. Some supervision is advised.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

QuickBooks is somewhat less expensive and is easier for inexperienced users to master. Peachtree is a wonderful piece of software, but has a more traditional and rigid accounting driven process. QuickBooks Online is expensive and lacks some of the features of the Desktop version.
Tara
  • Industry: Accounting

By far the superior bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2021/11/15

Customer service is terrible, but that is the same for all of Intuit. It is a shame because 20 years ago they were #1 in customer service and now they're at the bottom. However, I will never use any bookkeeping product other than Quickbooks Desktop in my office. No other program can even come close in functionality. No other program has the same ease of use. That being said, I don't recommend it for just anyone. If you do not know how to do bookkeeping or don't have a propensity for it, don't buy Quickbooks desktop or Quickbooks online and assume you can do your business bookkeeping. Consult with a professional.

Pros

The general ledger is my favorite. I will not use software that I can not make general ledger journal entries in. I love the tax tracking. It has the best tracking of payroll and sales taxes if it is properly set up. And adjustments can be made if necessary - which in my state is every quarter.

Cons

I do not like that we now have to log-in with an "intuit ID." I bought desktop software because I want to use it on my desktop. I do not want all of my software connected to the internet all of the time. I do not want my client accounts connected to my intuit ID and I do not want them to have to have their own intuit ID accounts. They aren't using the software, I am. They aren't doing the bookkeeping and payroll, I am. And if Intuit's servers are down or if the internet is down and I can't log in, well then I can't work and that doesn't work for me.

Wave, Xero and QuickBooks Online Accountant

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

Quite simply, it is the best and it is designed for bookkeepers and accountants.
Matt
  • Industry: Farming

The industry standard

Reviewed on 2022/10/14

QuickBooks is widely used by many different types of businesses therefore, it is supported and understood by most typical CPAs and tax attorneys. Bankers are also familiar with it, as well. It does a great job of tracking income and expenses, and tax related items. While lacking in farm specific functions, it does the others so well that you can trust you’ll have good information come tax time

Pros

QuickBooks is the industry standard for small and medium size businesses. It is known by most CPAs and bookkeepers, so it is easy to get answers for any questions you may have.

Cons

QuickBooks has the most standard set of features needed for most small businesses, however it is not tailored for some of the intricacies of farming.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop

GnuCash seems to have all the functionality that an accounting package would need, and is free and open source, but not widely used and accepted by accountants, CPAs, and bankers. Since we rely on a CPA for our depreciation and tax preparation, we made the switch to QuickBooks, which is widely known by CPAs. After doing it for a few years, and getting comfortable doing bookkeeping, I feel like I could make GnuCash work if I tried it again.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

I chose the desktop version because I was not interested in the online features or sharing functionality, since it is just my self doing most of the entries. I also was not interested in having a monthly subscription. I preferred to buy the software one time.
Tony
  • Industry: Farming

Quickbooks Desktop Premier Plus

Reviewed on 2023/02/14

We have been using Quickbooks for years. Apparently, their goal is to get you "hooked" on the software and go up on the prices every year. There are several add-ons that can be used, for a separate fee of course, such as Payroll. We do our own Payroll at my company so this makes things much easier. However, adding additional services can get quite expensive and they tend to change plans almost every year. They are now charging annually for software that we use to be able to purchase once and then use for 3 years. Those days are gone.

Pros

This is a great product for income as well as expense tracking. We enter every transaction that comes through our company and we can easily compare previous years earnings and losses, up to date

Cons

This product is way too expensive for a small business and unless you have been using the software for years, it is very difficult to understand and use. Customer support is lacking when it comes to unusual problems. It seems their customer support team can only "change batteries" so to speak.

Quicken, Zoho Books, FreshBooks and NetSuite

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

Because we have always used this software and with our rather large database, I was leary of changing
Warren

Quickbooks - Stable and easy to use

Reviewed on 2023/01/15

Our migration to QuickBooks was very smooth, mainly down to the simple layout within the software. Anyone can be easily trained to use it quickly.

Pros

The favorite part for us and our accounts tram, is the ease of the GUI and layout. It's incredibly simple to navigate the different areas of the software and quick to get to where you need to.

Cons

The website does offer support when you need it, but its not the most intuitive. When we have had problems or questions, the telephone support is fantastic.

SAP Business One

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop

We wanted to move to a non Microsoft 365 product, and read the reviews on QuickBooks and was thoroughly impressed.

Dynamics 365

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

QuickBooks was more well known by accountants that w spoke to.
Keith
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Find something else

Reviewed on 2021/06/10

I'd rather have cancer

I'd rather have cancer

Pros

Its ok when it works. We have several compaines within QB and for the most part it does what we need, its when you have an issue though is where you better buckle up and start practicing meditation.

Cons

Absolute 0 support. Wait times for support are usually several hours and we've had issues drag on unresolved for weeks. If you manage to get a hold of them and don't get disconnected, the techs will recommend the same fix as the other agents you speak with ( even though they didn't fix the issue the previous 15 attempts), and when they cant solve it, they typically just end the call. Getting a ticket escalated is next to impossible. Of the many software companies I have dealt with, Quickbooks support is by far and away the worst.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop

Big name - poor decision on our end ultimately
Annette

QuickBooks for the Small Nonprofit Organization

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

The program itself is excellent as seen from its popularity. My greatest need has been customer service technical support. I have been using QuickBooks for more than 20 years. Over this time I have been very happy with the improvement of their support. Depending on the level program chosen, there are varying degrees of support. I think this is the most important part of a program as complex as this. I am also very happy with the way payroll handles all the procedures automatically and that they build in the new legislation and regulations from all the states so the user is sure about what they are doing.

Pros

QuickBooks has a sufficiently wide variety of products/service agreements to satisfy the needs of small nonprofits. I find that the service has improved greatly over the years. The customer service people are extremely able to solve problems or explain processes. Also, since the user can choose between accrual and cash based accounting, small organizations can choose the system the best satisfies their particular circumstances. The payroll package is separate, so the customer can choose whether or not to do their own payroll or have someone else do it. The payment of payroll taxes is well supported and easy to use.

Cons

Because this software is so professional, there can be a steep learning curve for those without accounting or bookkeeping experience. It would be advisable for the new user to become familiar with entry level bookkeeping at least. QuickBooks also recommends that new users locate a current user to serve as a mentor. There are specially trained users who serve this role.

Zandi

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Reviewed on 2017/04/12

Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well.
You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Michael

Dinosaur on its Way to Fossil

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

I am hard-pressed to find an enthusiastic pro that I can add here. After years of all the limitations, and looking at other products, can't really praise the beast.

Cons

This software is bloated and uses out of date technology. It's entire substructure is based on Internet Explorer technology. That's right...Internet Explorer. The only real "cloud" solution they offer is to pay (a lot of money) to a third party service to host a remote desktop solution. Companies have been limping along this way for years. Imagine being a Quickbooks consultant to many different clients, all with different databases. Management becomes untenable. Intuit, a giant company with boundless capital continues to build on this ancient technology. It should have started from the ground up to plan for concurrent technologies, but it opted not to do so. Here is an example that happened with our organization. We wanted to move from a local hosted sever instance to a cloud-based version. Quickbooks recommended that we go with Right Networks. Right Networks, but there are major limitations and it adds $4000 a year to the cost of using quickbooks as a solution. But when your controller travels to Equador or Peru, and they need to be able to work, it was our only option. Because Quickbooks has chosen to stick to relic technology, we have this unnecessary added expense. When we moved to the hosted solution, our Enterprise license should have given us Online Backup functionality. However, the hosted instance of Quickbooks kept prompting us to activate online backups. Over and over again. Because, it uses Internet Explorer skinned prompts, it would not allow us to move forward. Quickbooks was not able to assist because it was a hosted solution. At the time of this review, Right Networks was still publishing remote desktop sessions on Windows Server 2008 R2. It is almost 2019. They are using technology that is at least ten years old. Another limitation with Quick Books and Windows Remote Desktop hosted solutions is Microsoft does not allow competing remote disk technology to run on their servers. Some time ago, our company got rid of our file servers and we moved everything to Google Drive (the corporate version). It allows end users to have access to TERABYTES of shared team data without it taking up space on their local workstation. It has turned out to be a beautifully elegant solution. As an event management and production company, our end users are constantly managing receipts. Quickbooks has no way of "browsing" to Google Drive to attach a receipt to a Quickbooks transaction or invoice. And because there is not a true enterprise-class, truly cloud-based offering from Quickbooks, we are not allowed by Microsoft to integrate Google Team Drive into our Quickbooks solution. Effectively, Quickbooks is a true dinosaur well on its way to fossildom. Even outside of our specific "power-user" needs, I have other complaints. The invoice template design functionality is quite literally out of 1992. It is truly an inelegant solution that looks ancient from the moment you open it. Let's say you have 4 accounting assistants producing invoices. If user A created an invoice based on template number 2, then when users C, D and E go to create an invoice, then their template is defaulted to template number 2. This a user-experience headache. Quite often, invoices get generated with the wrong template because of this "feature". If you want to design branded email templates that get generated when sending an invoice, there is no way to customize the email unless you design the email template using Microsoft Outlook. So you are either bound to Microsoft Technologies, with its attendant costs from CALs, Service Licenses etc. Suddenly, owning Quickbooks becomes even more expensive. Because Inuit wants you to use their payment platform (for accepting cards), they do not allow many (if any) 3rd party payment processing platforms such as Authorize.net. Our company has negotiated an aggressive 10 cent per transaction fee with Authorize.net, and Quickbooks can't compete with that, so we cannot even accept payments directly through Quickbooks. If I were a new business looking for an accounting solution, I would tell them to run far away from Quickbooks. It is terribly outdated for a twenty-second century organization.

Lamini

Efficient and Comprehensive Financial Management with QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reviewed on 2023/10/26

My overall experience with QuickBooks Desktop Pro has been positive. As a Senior Tax Manager and Director of Finance, it offers a comprehensive suite of financial tools, though it could be more user-friendly for those with limited accounting expertise. It greatly streamlines financial and tax management tasks.

Pros

QuickBooks Desktop Pro has been invaluable for me as a Senior Tax Manager and Director of Finance. Its comprehensive financial tools, including accounting, payroll, and tax management, offer an all-in-one solution. I appreciate the extensive customization options, allowing me to tailor reports and documents to my organization's specific needs. The integration with financial reporting streamlines data tracking and analysis. It excels in tax compliance, reducing the risk of errors and audits. The user-friendly interface accommodates varying accounting expertise levels, and its scalability ensures it grows with the business. In summary, QuickBooks Desktop Pro simplifies financial management for professionals in tax and finance.

Cons

While QuickBooks Desktop Pro offers comprehensive financial tools, it can be complex for those with limited accounting knowledge. The software may benefit from more user-friendly features for individuals and small businesses without dedicated financial departments.

Ron
Ron

Solid product

Reviewed on 2022/06/03

Good experience! I highly recommend this software.

Good experience! I highly recommend this software.

Pros

This is just a very good all purpose accounting software application. It has all the features you will need to run a small business. The desktop interface is easy in part because Inuit has leveraged familiar tactile forms in the user interface. (Entering a cheque, looks like a cheque). Lots of time saving features such as “Quick Add”, “Memorized Transactions”, etc. make repetitive tasks easy. A variety of valuable business rules are incorporated into the functions of the software based on configurable Preferences.

Cons

I think the biggest detraction from the software is Intuit’s support. I have used Quickbooks for over 18 years and I have learned how avoid most issues, but if I encounter an error, I know it’s the start of a painful process. It can be a hit or miss experience as I have reached some good support staff. But in general, Intuit makes it very difficult (by design) to communicate with support. There are very few defects that remain (example: recording a PST commission has never worked correctly), but again, over time I have found work arounds. Some of the features such as banking integration were good concepts, but have not been refined to make them useful for the average user. Maybe there is a way to configure this functionality to work as desired, but again the lack of access to good support staff has caused me to give up on this feature.

Shannon
  • Industry: Legal Services

QuickBooks Desktop Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/12

Some of the benefits that has helped is producing individual statements to send to out clients. This feature is nice since you can produce only a few statement at a time, since it may not be necessary to produce a whole batch at one time.

Pros

I like how the reconcile feature works under the banking section. It allows the user to make changes by leaving the reconcile screen to make any changes within the QuickBooks program, and it still holds everything where you left off, which keeps the user from having to start over. Once complete, it creates the reconciliation detail report and a summary report, which is easy to print, or save in electronic file.

Cons

My biggest frustration is just learning how to use the software. Their is always a learning curve to learning a new software program. To help with learning QuickBooks, I took a class at a local community college to learn and understand how QuickBooks works. It is also helpful to have some accounting knowledge with learning QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

No one wants to do the same work twice, so you can count on us to save your progress while reconciling, Shannon. There can be a bit of a learning curve with the software, but we're positive that you can master it. We also have some great resources to help you get there, like our Community space. Here you can find helpful articles and post questions which are answered by fellow users and the QuickBooks Team: community.intuit.com

Thanks for the amazing review!
David, The QuickBooks Team

Vassili

Good overall

Reviewed on 2022/11/15

QB is easy to use even for someone who doesn't come from accounting background. I would strongly recommend that you enlist the help of your CPA to setup your accounts correctly in the beginning, it will save you a lot of time and headache. If your accounts are setup properly and you remember to enter your transactions and make sure your books balance it mostly works flawlessly, will be a good accounting system for years. As it is de-facto industry standard it is also easy to share information with your CPA

Pros

-Easy to use. Set it up correctly and a lot of things simply happen naturally- Good reports. They provide good info out of the box and you can customize them- Very solid billing/invoicing- Easy to share with your CPA

Cons

Sometimes things don't work right and as they have the monopoly they have no urge to fix them. Example: the software will not automatically apply credits to invoices or show them, you have to remember that the customer has credit.Also while their support is good overall and will genuinely try to help you sometimes you bump into completely incompetent reps. Then sometimes they just stick to the script and say they basically cannot do anything for you

• Industry: Telecommunications

We love it - when it works

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

I personally did not choose this software and would readily change to another software if it was my choice.

Pros

It's a real workhorse and it does everything that we need it to do in the realm of accounting and payroll for our small business.

Cons

Customer service is Very bad. We upgrade every year, but we spend at least 4 or 5 hours two or three times on the phone until they get it right. We have three user licenses and five computers (some users have laptops), and somehow the company file gets inaccessible and other problems keep returning. One person did something to one computer and it never worked right again, and they actually told us on the phone that they don't guarantee that what they do remotely isn't going to screw up the computer. We're in the middle of another "upgrade" right now, and again, they've managed to screw up the network. We host our company file on one computer, and all the other ones have to access it there, yet they installed the new software as "store file on this computer" for all of them yesterday. Today, we're on the phone (going on three hours) again, this time to undo all the screwups from yesterday. NOT pleased. Also, now we have to save the accountant file to media and hand deliver b/c the file is "too big" and the only way to solve that is to compress all the old data, which we need to be able to use frequently. Not happy with the customer service.

Robert
  • Industry: Utilities

I liked it, until...

Reviewed on 2023/12/07

I enjoyed it and was reluctant to move away from QB Desktop. We have moved to QB Online very recently because we kept hearing that Intuit intends to discontinue Desktop Pro and Premium, and they moved the price to an annual subscription price rather than a product purchase price which made the cost very high. the [sensitive content hidden] also wanted to switch. I had resisted for some time because QB Desktop was so functional, easy to work with, and I knew it well. It is for this reason that I don't recommend Desktop any more unless you are a large enterprise, or want to spend the money for Desktop Enterprise. We didn't have the need, nor desire to spend that money.

Quickbooks Online has much improved functionality and I quickly found myself liking it, to my surprise. I still don't like Intuit support. I do like their products.

Pros

I could figure out almost everything about it. I liked access to multiple windows open so that I could go between tasks/reports quickly. I was very familiar with this project having used it on and off for 20 years. I liked customizing reports.

Cons

Importing credit card data was frustrating at times. The functionality was ok, though problematic and times. I could work around it.