David K.
  • Industry: Information Services

Going massively downhill

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

Trying to use them as accountants for my small limited company. Pretty tempted to swap to Quickbooks.

Pros

Bank reconciliation with certain banks is free and easy to use. Nice to know your tax exposure at any point.

Cons

They are dropping their iPhone app, which is pretty basic and could be so much better, but allows fast expense entry. No have top use their website, which isn't the best.

You no longer have a dedicated account manager, you have a pool of them, so you don't get continuity and there's always a different person responding to emails.

There seems to be a huge shortage of accountants, they take literally 1-2 weeks to reply to a basic email.

End of year accounts has a lead time of 8 weeks and you have to chase to actually achieve that (I understand that its fully automated, the accountant just needs to double check it, which is pretty basic, I have no idea why it takes so long in this day and age).

You ask a specific question and quite often get a generic response.

They do not offer any helpful tax advice or go out their way to help.

Expensive when compared to the competition.

Alyson M.

Gets the job done for much less than traditional accountants

Reviewed on 2016/12/11

We've been using Crunch for almost a year now, and they've saved us a huge amount of money over traditional accountants. But it's also taken a long time to learn the software and it's not flexible enough to be our only tool. The biggest limitation is the reporting, there are a couple built in reports but you can't edit the reporting period!

Response from Crunch

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review our service. We're really pleased that you're enjoying the service and happy to recommend us!

So that we can improve the experience for yourself and other customers, would you mind providing a little more feedback to our Client Experience Manager, Andy, about adapting to the software? We'd really appreciate the extra insight.

Andy can be contacted directly using [email protected]

We're aware that the reporting functionality requires some improvement and we're confident that we'll see this added next year. We always look to take on board feedback from our customers and look to improve on our software - we never sit still!

Thanks again.

Rob E.

Great functionality backed up by great customer support.

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

Pros

All the important stuff is handled automatically, or with minimal input needed from me, leaving me to get on running with my business.

Cons

Performance can be a little quirky running in Edge browser, but fine in Chrome or Internet Explorer.

Dave K.

Perfect for small business - Crunch takes all the pain out of running my company.

Reviewed on 2017/06/30

Allowed me to set up my own business from inception to trading in a matter of days.

Pros

Simplicity. Every tab shows me a summary of what I need to know.
Ease of Use. Reduces the time required on day-to-day administration of my company.
Customer support team. They're excellent - and answer all my queries clearly, no matter how daft the question!

Owen P.

Online accounting made simple. Telephone and email support when needed. Great friendly service.

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

Pros

It's easy to use and they are always looking to make improvements based on feedback. If you get stuck help is available via the phone, email or social media.

Henri C.

Great for contractor accounting

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

Easy display of available dividend money, good graphs of total revenue, getting accounts etc submitted are a snap

Cons

Tough to say, i've sent a few feature requests in with new ideas and I get thanked for sending them but don't get much visibility of if they've made the roadmap/if they'll ever happen

Julie S.

Love. it.

Reviewed on 2011/12/01

Crunch have literally saved my life. Switched from an old-school accountant who would charge me through the nose for even a phone call - now I can natter on the phone all I like to Crucnh and it doesnt cost me a penny.

Pros

Flat price
Personal service
Cool software
Do my accounts anywhere
Fun company

Cons

Software is necessarily complex (I suppose thats accountancys fault rather than Crunchs)

Rick E.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Honest and upfront advice

Reviewed on 2019/03/20

Coming from a different accounting company with poor communications and the feeling I was just a number, Crunch made me feel valued and went out of the way to prove it.
So far very good support and additional services all under one umbrella.

Pros

All my accounting needs in one place, with access to a very good platform. Quick response from team when needed.

Cons

Pricing was not as clear as stated, ended up being more than what was pitched on site.

Wayne P.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Crunch is an excellent and practical tool. The customer support is excellent.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Great support in establishing ,my company and guiding me through the journey of managing my own accounts

Pros

Reasonably simple and intuitive. Like some of the supporting apps e.g. tripcatcher that makes life a breeze.

Cons

Could do with the ability to make life a little easier and have some reporting capability so can look at trends

Jay C.
  • Industry: Music

Saves us so much time and amazing staff

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

saving time and a better understanding of accounting for companies

Pros

Where to start? I knew nothing about accounting so when we started I wanted an online company, Crunch basically do it all! Once you get round the software (it's not exactly simple but what accounting program can be??) it's very easy to use and the real time info is great. We use it for tax returns, PAYE and personal tax and it's an essential tool for us!

Cons

The reporting side can be better, you get great bar charts but only for the active tax year. I'd like to see more historical visual charts to help build up a better picture of the companies growth.

Matthew A.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Great online accountancy software

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

Pros

The software is easy to use and full-featured, at least in its desktop version. Backed up with great support from the Crunch accountants and client managers.

Cons

It doesn't scale down particularly well to phones. The iOS app should be full-featured and include the Snap functionality (which is available through a separate app).

Fiona A.

Easy to use software

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

This is very intuitive software, looks nice and navigation is good.
Working in IT, its nice to find some good software like this which doesnt require training or much explaination. Support is always on hand should you need it

Cons

I do not have any issues with the software - the login is very slow.

Kevin R.

Very intuitive software and a perfect balance of control/taken off your hands

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

Pros

I am able to see everything intuitively but I especially love the Apps and how they interact with Crunch

Cons

I still think there is more that can be done using mobile, alerts for VAT payments etc but I use the calendar import which is reality, the same thing

Andrea E.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Friendly, caring and professional

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

To keep finances up to date gives you control and security. This is what I got from Crunch.

Pros

Very user friendly, gives an up to date impression of my finances at any given time which is very useful.

Ben - www.iamben.co.uk

Excellent stuff

Reviewed on 2013/08/16

A few years back I quit my job at an agency and started freelancing. Work came in, everything was great. I debated setting up a company but it looked complicated - it was less about the invoicing and whatnot, more about the legalities. After about 6 months of doing it myself, I realised it just wasn't efficient and decided to do something about it. I had no idea what to look for, but after a suggestion from a friend I contacted Crunch.

As far as business goes, it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. After going through all my options, they set up a company for me, set me up on their system and explained how everything works. There's certainly been a learning curve, but then I'd never run a business before - thankfully they've been wonderful with answers to questions (that looking back) seem borderline idiotic. Reading another review on here (that in fairness prompted me to write this one), I wasn't quite sure what the guy/girl was talking about - my experience with their (incredibly tolerant) account handlers and accountants has been nothing short of fantastic.

The system itself is great - I do a lot of web work and it's pretty much what I would have built if I'd been building it. Expenses, invoicing and the rest is really simple to do, and it's great to have and see all my numbers and 'company financial stuff' in one easy-to-digest dashboard. Paperwork (including all the HMRC real time PAYE stuff) is all done and taken care of automagically. Which is nice.

Frankly, I can't praise them enough. I was really worried about doing the whole 'proper company' thing, but it's not really something I think about anymore - it's just another tool that helps me get my job done, maximise my earnings and keep me legal. There are very few companies I'm happy to wax lyrical about, but Crunch is certainly one of those (just ask anyone I've blathered on to about starting up on their own!).

Pros

Super helpful, easy to use, love the system. Hassle free accounting - I feel like they actually 'get' me and understand what I'm doing.

Cons

None, really.

Odd N.

Great! ...but theres a few small quirks and bits that need attention.

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

More time to grow my business. Less hassle.

Pros

Simplicity of use. Automated filing of inland revenue paperwork. Ability to discuss accounts over the phone while looking at the same numbers. A repository of all paperwork / ability to generate paperwork / ability to generate preliminary accounts.

Cons

Dual login for sole trader and Ltd...why ?? Having to manually tweak monthly salary payments to show up as paid? Why not let customer service rep be able to hi light and show tabs / fields in my browser when we talk over the phone ?

D davies

Crunch - Sigh

Reviewed on 2013/03/05

Oh how I used to love Crunch, the answer to all my one ban band freelance design business woes, well that's how it was for the first 6 months. It went sour after that and eventually rock bottom and perished, leaving a very bad taste in my mouth and a very stressful 18 months.

On the front of it, it's great at invoicing and keeping a tally of ins and outs.

Until you have to update all your expenses yourself, do your own reconcilliation (trawling through uploaded (when they work) csv bankstatements) and matching them off to the expenses you've already inputted. This technically is an accountant/book-keeper's role, so you're doing their work for them.

It's up to you to check your own information, again doing their work for them.

If you can put up with all the server errors, bugs, site crashes etc then fine, which was ok at first as the system was in it's infancy.

But then when you have to engage with a human being, expect to encounter the very junior front end account manager, who is usually pretty clueless.

Imagine this, you're needing to pay yourself, there's a bug in the system that they can't work out in the back end dev department, this holds you back from paying yourself for weeks while they try to sort it out. So you start withdrawing what you assume would be enough to keep you afloat to be told that the numbers now don't work out, then 6 months later with hardly any hair left you get to a state you think is 'fixed'.

Then more problems, I could list pages of problems.

I won't bother. Steer clear, use a human being trained in accountancy, one that has many years of experience behind them.

Not some jumped up cloud system that means you'll be spending sleepless nights worrying about and inputting data.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Plenty

Response from Crunch

Hi there,

We've been unable to find anyone on our system matching your name so unable to get in touch directly to sort these issues out, obviously very sorry to hear you've had a sub-par experience with us.

To address some of your issues directly:

Raising invoices / recording expenses and bank reconciliation are part and parcel of any online accounting or bookkeeping system. We recently launched a service called BankBolt which makes reconciliation significantly easier (and does away with upload errors), but some work on our clients' part is still required. You can of course find a shoebox accountancy service which will do all of this for you, but ultimately you're paying more to be a less informed business owner.

We've spent a long time building out our app infrastructure over the last few years and we've got one of the best around - we've only had one short instance of unplanned downtime in the last eighteen months.

To call our team "clueless" is rather disingenuous - we have a really rigorous in-house training program that is AAT and ACCA accredited - we actually won an award for it recently.

As mentioned above we've been unable to locate you on our system so cannot speak to issues with your individual account - afraid I can only apologise and assure you your experience is far from representative of the vast majority of our users. Keen to have a chat if you would like to reach out to us.

Kevin

Everything I ever wanted and more

Reviewed on 2013/08/16

After moving to Crunch I'd never go to any other form of online accountancy. Where do I start? The system itself is intuitive and easy to use, it helps you every step of the way and if that's not enough you are one phone call away from a well informed, friendly, patient, and intelligent account handler.

The whole system has transformed my understanding of my business. It takes away all the mundane tasks and makes them easy, leaving me with a clear understanding of the financial state of my business, tax, sales, invoicing, exepenses, and everything I'd ever need to know.

They are constantly updating it and I don't know what I'd have done about the realtime payroll stuff if it wasn't for them. I heard of friends having to pay their accountants hundreds of pounds more for this whereas it was simply a well managed free update for me.

I recommend Crunch to every freelance friend I have.

Pros

Too many to list, does absolutely everything and makes it simple and inituitive to use and understand.

Cons

Few if any. They aren't available on the phone at weekends but who is!

Damien Z.

Software is good but pretty awful company with low quality service & high staff turnover

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

The software works pretty well but the company itself basically does nothing for you. You do all the expenses and reconciliation yourself and most of the tax calculation is automated or you have to do it yourself so the accountant only looks at it for the corporation tax return. They never suggest ways you can save tax apart from the most basic standard ways. They never consult you about expected earnings for coming years to put in place any tax saving strategies. They never do what they say they will do unless you hound them. When I finally decided to close my business they told me it would take a couple of months but a year later they still had not done it so then it gave me issues with my tax return. I've had 5 different account handlers in 6 years all of which seem a bit clueless. You pay standard accounting fees for a computer to do the work for them and the little work an accountant does is done very very slowly or not at all. I'll use an old fashioned accountant next time as I paid a lot less tax than with crunch.

Pros

Easy to see the exact state of your business at any moment
Easy to export data and tax documents

Cons

Steep learning curve
You do all of the reconciliation yourself instead of an accountant
No proactive tax advice or strategy so you pay a lot more tax overall

Brian M.

The staff at Crunch are now my best friends.

Reviewed on 2017/06/22

As someone who has started up a company for the first time after 42 years working for others, I found the software and more importantly the people, excellent and helpful in getting me started and answering all my queries, no matter how simple, idiotic or complex.

Pros

It has been designed and built in a friendly way, that allows the experienced user and the inexperienced user to use the system with ease.

Yvonne B.

New to the system so still learning the features - I am not a techie so not all intuitive to me

Reviewed on 2017/06/22

As I've said, not fully conversant with the system yet as a new user, I do like the fact that all the things you need are in one place and the reporting functions seem very good. It still relies on me completing it though and entering the data, which as yet, I have no verification I am doing the right thing

Pros

Seems very comprehensive, I'm sure I'm not using all the features yet I have no doubt once I do, that it will prove its worth.

Cons

I'm not sure the VAT function is working properly and I have highlighted this a couple of times now.

Paul M.

Great service, really helpful team, good advice and essential for me when I was getting started

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Pros

Excellent web interface makes it easy to access all of my accounting information in one go.

I love the fact that its online so that I can use any device to get to my accounts, and NO spreadsheets!!!

Cons

An iPhone/iPad app would be great for quick view information.

I would also love a more fully inclusive contract review service, the existing arrangement with 5 day lead time is often too long so I end up having to go elsewhere.

Sometimes I want a quick answer such as 'which category should I list this expense as?' - this would be nicely solved via an online chat function which would be really useful.

Finally, proper 2 factor authentication (Google authenticator) would be good too.

Richard M.

Crunch has given me more oversight and control over the financial performance of my business.

Reviewed on 2017/06/20

Lower cost than traditional accountants, more feeling of oversight and control over financial position, more empowerment as a business owner

Pros

The various dashboards make it easier to see how my business is performing in terms of sales, revenue and profit. Invoicing, expensing, bank reconciliation and keeping on top of taxes are all easy. Notifications are clear and prompt, so I'm never at risk of falling behind with my accounting.

Cons

Timed logout is too quick - I'm often toggling between tabs and tasks and don't want to have to sign in every 5 minutes. It's time-consuming to rectify historical mistakes in banking reconciliation. Non-compatibility of certain bank statements is a pain.

Ian Y.

I'm a long time Crunch user and very happy with it.

Reviewed on 2017/06/26

Makes it possible to run my business without wasting evenings and weekends keeping my accounts up to date.

Pros

The software covers all my needs for recording invoices, expenses, calculating taxes, preparing accounts and so on. It is pretty easy to use too for most things. I like the reminders that tell you when payments are due and taxes need to be paid. I don't need to remember very much. The automated bank reconciliation process makes it easy to keep up to date too.

Cons

I get a bit confused over how the payments for Corporation Tax work - but my account manager is always on hand to sort things out for me,

Paul E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great software backed by people who call you back and know what they are doing.

Reviewed on 2017/06/21

Complete and instant control of my business finances. Understanding where my company funds are is essential to a small company like mine.

Pros

You are in complete control of your accounts, you instantly know how much you have, what you owe and who you owe it too. Business planning is made simple when you can see your finances at the click of a button.

Cons

Some of the banking dashboards were poor, but have recently been improved. Everything else is spot on.