• Used Other for 1-5 months

You get what you pay for.

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

Inkscape is a great solution for someone working alone or wanting to learn principles of vector graphic creation. I was surprised at how robust it is. That said, I need to be able output artwork and formats that my printers are going to easily be able to work with, without loss of I was surprised at how robust it is. That said, I need to be able to output artwork and formats that my printers are going to easily be able to work with, without loss of fidelity in translation.

Pros

Number one, I appreciated that it was available free of charge. For a product that is open source, it has some powerful functionality.

Cons

At the end of the day, working in a collaborative varmint or environments, it’s important to be working with similar tools. In my case, working with multiple teams of creatives means It is much easier to collaborate if we’re all using the same tool.

Antonio M.

Best free vector graphics software

Reviewed on 2021/01/29

I used it to create icons for my small business and for the larger clients we had. It was a quick and easy way to create vector graphics. I also used it for our comics. We would trace the drawn comics to blow them up to be printed as posters. I also managed to blow up some comics for use on merch websites that required crazy high resolution source files. I LOVE the program and now I use it in tandem with another similar software I bought at the beginning of the year mainly for the tracing option.

Pros

It is free and it does everything other vector graphic softwares do! Unlike some of the competitors it actually has a decent tracing option.

Cons

It takes way too long for it to start. Other than that, everything is amazing, but I spent minutes every time I tried to start the program. It was on the computer that would start comparable software in under a second.

Andy M.
  • Industry: Design

Vector Logos and Patterns

Reviewed on 2021/02/05

I can create logos for companies very quickly. By learning the keyboard shortcuts you will be able to navigate round the menu super fast. Also, this works well with my touch screen which I never thought I would use until now.

Pros

As a designer one of the best features is to import something which you find inspirational and be able to trace the outline for your first design layer.

From there, you have the ability to smooth out better than the original import and create new shapes, colours and angles very quickly.

Cons

The help menu is not great and I found myself looking in Google for most of my help. However, Inkscape's online help and tutorial site is quite comprehensive and guides you based on your knowledge level.

Great Free Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

Overall, this program is great when paired with a paint program, something to support the vector. Gimp was really good to pair with it. I would definitely recommend

Pros

Inkscape is a vector software that allows you to make clean logos, illustrations, infographics, etc. I only just downloaded this program about a week ago but I've already used it in my freelance illustration job. The other program I had been using was Gimp, another free software. But Gimp wasn't allowing me to create basic shapes. So I was able to save the file I was working on in Gimp as a .pdf file and then bring it over to Inkscape where I added boxes that were perfectly resizeable and did not anchor after you made them. I was able to go back and adjust the color of the boxes and also add and format text within them. It was beautiful.
Inkscape is part of GNU which is the Free Software Movement put in place for just that-- freedom of software, bringing people from all walks of life into an equal platform. So that is why I chose to pair my previous Gimp software with this free Inkscape software as they are part of GNU Systems. Actually, Inkscape borrows some tools and coding from GIMP making it so easy and natural to jump between the two programs in one project. I'd go as far as to say that Inkscape is to Gimp what Adobe Illustrator is to Adobe Photoshop. Each is needed in it's own capacity, each tackle the same job at different angles.

Cons

This is purely asthetic but one thing I was slightly put off by was the white layout. When I first logged into the program, it reminded me of Sticky Notes on my computer. It didn't have that Adobe-esque feel that Gimp had with basically the same dark design. It just didn't feel like it could hold up to creating numerous graphic layers and really tricky tool maneuvers. While obviously it is not Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape seems like it has a lot of essential features to pair up with Gimp, that when these two free programs are paired, the result is very similar to Adobe Suite products. It is a bit different in the tools area as AI. I wasn't able to figure out how to move objects onto different layers. It wasn't as intuitive as AI or Gimp, for that matter.

Arun K.

Inkscape Teached Me The Basics Of Logo Desgning

Reviewed on 2019/06/13

Even you face a little bit of trouble for figuring out the operations in Inkscape, I definitely recommend this for logo designing and vector graphics.Best platform which i used up to date for the same purposes.

Pros

I started to using Inkscape from 2019.Inkscape works really well in making logos and vectors in a simple format.One of the best featurre it provides is called node editing.Its capability of handling node editing impressed me alot.I think Inkscape is the best designing software to start graphic designing , if you are not familiar with any other softwares like adobe illustrator.One of the best speciality of Inkscape is that , it is totally free and it works well in all major operating systeems like windows,mas o.s and linux.If you are running a business , this one is suited for small, medium and also well suited for freelancers .Even i didn't tried much about vector designing in Inkscape, i believe this one helps to learn about basics of vector designing more easily that otheer graphics softwares like corel draw.You can set and edit or convert nodes is the best thing about Inkscape.It also support path simplification with variable threshold, path insetting and outsetting, object creation,bitmap tracing etc.I always like to use the speciality of converting a real picture into good looking and creative logos using Bezier curve tool.If you are looking to learn logo making and digital vectors, i always recommend Inkscape.This one helped me alot to learning in designing some logos.

Cons

If you are dealing with very large projects, it has some tendancy to freeze for sometime and this makes to feel bad while working on projects.It may be difficult to operate atfirst time after installation because of the new tools and features which are unfamiliar to a person who is a novice in digital graphics.So think it will take some time to figure out how Inscape is working.Even they provide tutorials about the working, most of people feel like an alien at the time of first use.Definitely i faced saving my work as in .jpeg or .gif format primarly and also it does not support .ai extension files.

Karin D.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great alternative to higher priced image software

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Inkscape has been a vast improvement over the suite software I was using. I don’t have to switch software to perform different tasks on a project. And, it’s price tag of FREE certainly helps when starting a business with zero capital and only two commissions that are yet to be paid.

Pros

This product is great. It combines all the features I need for SVG creation into one, easy to use, FREE software. Did I mention it’s free? I am trying to run a business selling various art items. I am not very technologically savvy and, as I am still in start up phase with zero capital, I need something inexpensive. I had been paying over $30 a month for another software suite that did not work well for me. Being on a budget so tight it’s basically non-existent, my laptop is very low on RAM, ROM and all those other computer capability things. With the larger suite, I had to install one of the programs, do part of the work on an image, remove that program, install a second program, do more work, and continue this cycle until the images were just right. This made projects take vastly longer than I could charge my clients for. Using Inkscape, I can do all these steps with one program that takes up about a quarter of the resources on my laptop than even one of the two programs in the expensive suite. And, it saves me over $350 a year!

Cons

The only issue I have with Inkscape is one of my own problems. I have been using the expensive suite so long, learning the different names and slightly different icons for Inkscape has taken some time. However, many videos exist on the internet to help people learn how to use the program.

Nigel masimba R.

Great For Web Development Quick Fixes

Reviewed on 2020/05/22

Inkscape is great for minor edits to images and for exporting SVG images to raster formats. I use it to create minimalist icons and export them to PNG format. However, due to the rise of the WebP format I've had to add an extra step to my workflow where I export from SVG to PNG, then from PNG to WebP. While I could install a WebP plugin for Inkscape I've had bad experiences with Inkscape plugins in the past and I avoid them as much as possible.

Pros

Supports most of the mainstream media formats.
Uses okay file compression for exported PNG files.
It's easy to use and learn.
It's stable.

Cons

It does not support WebP image import and export out of the box.
Compatibility issues when objects/shapes are not converted into paths. If I don't convert SVG objects to paths they might not display correctly in other applications.

Dima V.

Become the master of vector graphics!

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

Inkscape had entered my life over a decade ago and is here to stay! I use it as an image editor, as a sketcher for work flow diagrams and even for renovation projects! This is a must-have for anyone who is even remotely a visual person! ))

Pros

Wow, where do I begin? This software is so powerful, it's like a nuclear missile! I love what you can draw with it - literally anything!! There are so many tutorials online that anyone can use - articles, videos etc - that will teach you the basics as well as some advanced concepts and projects.

One of my favourite uses for Inkscape is the drawing board for project flows. Unlike raster graphics (bitmap image) editors, in Inkscape each object is a vector, meaning that you can copy, paste resize and play around with it indefinitely. This helps me a lot when doing diagrams.

Another insanely helpful function is image cropping. I can import a photo or a bunch of photos into Inkscape and make a collage or a compilation - and then just crop it all to the right fit. Have designed some of our best family photos like this. Plus there are filters and color edits you can apply too!

Since Inkscape is so flexible and so versatile with what it offers, you can use it for literally any drawing/sketching project. Will improve your digital skills and will let you save some paper as well ))

Cons

The learning curve is pretty steep in the beginning and it is expected that the user should know some basics about vector graphics and image editing. But, like I mentioned, there is a ton of resources online to help you master this software, so put in some time initially and it will be an investment to you in the long run.

Anthony S.

Some issues but free is hard to beat

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

We use it primarily to design pieces for laser cutting. Because of this we also have to teach others how to use it as well. Inkscape is buggy enough that laser cutting is challenging, but doable. Because it’s free, the headache is worth the payoff, but I prefer to use other software for more complicated tasks.

Pros

Inkscape has tons of features, it’s free, and has a pretty decently sized user base. It is very comparable to other vector based software like Illustrator, has many of the same features, and is definitely a serviceable product.

Cons

My biggest gripe with Inkscape is that the user manual is insufficient. Features are not very intuitive nor are they similar in function to similar tools from other software. Prepare to do a lot of googling and YouTubing if you want to learn how to use a tool or figure out if the function even exists in Inkscape.

Joshua D.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Inkscape offers an Illustrator-like experience, if you're willing to poke around.

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

I use Inkscape frequently for creating documents and image assets on our website, email marketing platform, and social media platforms. Like I said, the interface took some getting used to (the differences are just...a little weird sometimes), but I'm quite comfortable in the basics and learning new things every day!

Pros

Elephant in the room: it's free, which is fantastic! It offers a robust feature set that is more than sufficient for my non-power-user needs. Also, since it's open source, its potential for extensibility is huge. The online community is incredibly helpful when I get stuck.

Cons

I found the controls to be less intuitive than Illustrator, but once you get used to it this is fine, too!

Jeremy J.

Digital Design for All

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

I am a HUGE FAN of this program!

Using Inkscape, in conjunction with GIMP, I have created a lot of quality content over the past few years-- all with no investment!

Pros

Inkscape is extremely easy to use-- so easy, in fact, that I even train some of my clients on how to use this fantastic software to generate their own social content. The UI is clean, user-friendly, and plays wells with multiple display setups. Rendering is very powerful-- I have created physical & digital billboards, massive banner, and vehicle wraps all with this FREE, open-sourced software.

Cons

Performance can be a minor issue on certain machines (runs incredibly well on Linux Mint).
Little to no CMYK support, but if you find the right print shop and select appropriate colors, that can be a non-issue.
Some complicated images can be a little glitchy both in the program and after export, but I can always find a quick workaround with little effort.

Shamori E.

So versatile

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

Pros

One of the things I love about this software is that is free! Anything that you could do in illustrator, you can literally do in Inkscape.

Cons

The only con would be the interface, there should be names on the different tools. For a beginner it would take some time to find and identify the tools and modes.

Dan K.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Fantastic free alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

Overall experience is very good. I've been using Inkscape for over a year now and would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get a start in illustration and graphic design. I've been able to create lots of fantastic designs for print on demand clothing sites like Teespring and Printful as well as graphics for my websites and blogs.

Pros

Just as good as Illustrator when it comes to making logos and designs. Very similar to Illustrator in features and functionality. Whatever you can make in Illustrator, you can also make in Inkscape with relative ease. Fantastic alternative to Illustrator since it is open source, actively developed and free! Working with gradients is much easier in Inkscape. Inkscape is also far less CPU intensive than its Adobe counterpart, whereas Illustrator is a beast and requires some intense GPU power.

Cons

It is much easier to work with text in Illustrator than it is in Inkscape. Inkscape can be a little messy here sometimes. Another con is that Inkscape doesn't currently allow you to output files with a CMYK color profile, which is inconvenient when it comes to designs for print.

Matt K.
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Awesome Open Source Vector Design Software

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

When upgrading all of our office computers we lost our old installation of the Adobe Creative Suite. We have since used Inkscape to replace Illustrator. It is very seldom that we use graphics editors in our office, so the cost of an adobe subscription did not make sense.

Using Inkscape has been an amazing free alternative.

Pros

Inkscape is very intuitive and was an easy transition to make coming from illustrator. It does not have the steep learning curve that you may see when leaving other commercial software for open source.

It is not very resource intensive allowing us to run Inkscape on any machine in the office.

Cons

The industry standard is still the adobe suite. It can make things problematic if I need to collaborate with a partner as many people do not use Inkscape.

Kenneth B.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

THE BEST OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNING

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

This software has tremendously helped me in my work as a freelance graphic designer,since I have no money to buy Paid software's this is my go to software.

Pros

The overall usability of the software is really good it's very straightforward and you could easily create any logo you want it also has the dark theme mode which is a very good design on the software,its perfect for hobbyists like me.It also is a great alternative to other paid graphic editor sotwares.

Cons

The only issue I encountered is when saving your project in pixel size you want .the first time I used this I had a hard time saving my project in 2440 X 1440 eventually I learned and how to save my project the right way.

Steve B.

My Go-to Graphic Design Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Using Inkscape, I've been able to complete almost every project my company has needed (as far as graphic design goes anyway). I used it to make my company's logo, business cards, fliers, direct mailers, etc. All of those things are critical for building brand recognition, so I don't know where we'd be without having software capable of creating clean, scalable vector images. I built my company on a shoestring budget, so the fact that this is open source software has been incredibly valuable.

Pros

Inkscape makes it very easy to make promotional materials for my business; from soft goods, to fliers, and so much more. It has got a bit of a learning curve, but that is to be expected with any software. For the features you get, I almost can't believe it's FREE! That's right. Inkscape is completely open source, which I love. Its developers are definitely givers, and not takers.

Cons

Be prepared to save often! If you start adding a lot of paths to a project, it will sometimes bog down the program and cause an unexpected crash. Beyond that, I really don't have any complaints.

Karl M.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Inkscape follow industry standards and be great, but they insist on reinventing wheels.

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

Inkscape feels like using an alternate universe version of Illustrator where the functions have all been mixed up and it just makes you a little homesick

Pros

Inkscape is a very viable alternative to Adobe Illustrator if you don't need deep functionality or just need it once in a while. I appreciate that it is open source.

Cons

Inkscape tries to do what Illustrator does, but fails to maintain similar shortcuts or functionality that would really make it useful.

• Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Free and full of feature

Reviewed on 2020/02/11

I prepared my company old and new logos, I perpared another company logo.
I use it only when needed, so I don't have a good practice, and every time I find it quite difficult to use

Pros

It is a good opensource alternative to Adobe Illustrator, and it can open and edit Illustrator files

Cons

It's not very easy to use, and the manual is not very detailed to the extend needed. Unofficial online resources are available, but it would be useful to have a good manual

Bruno B.

The top free vectoring software!

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

I use this software for two years to design all the covers of my books, my Instagram and Facebook post and ads. Also I vectorize all the images for my blogs with ease and excellent results. I would recommend it to people without hesitation, but first you have to invest time in learning via videos that are easily found on the web!

Pros

I like this software. I was looking for a free software to create the covers of my books and vectorize the images for use online. This software has never let me down in this regard. It is very rich in features that are also very easy to handle. It is available in several languages. It is the best software for novices on vectoring software and retouching photos or images.

Cons

Not enough keyboard shortcuts with this software (which is frustrating to try to do things fast enough). In addition, the software uses a lot of resources, which can have adverse consequences for weak computers.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

A great softwar for creating 2D anda vectorial drawings

Reviewed on 2021/03/27

I looked for Inkscape to produce vector drawings to be placed on CNCs and laser cutting machine which I use to make some simple models, I looked for the software because it is famous and free and I was surprised with the quality of the tools, they are simple to use and easy to learn, it’s not as complete or the most robust software but it’s very good within what it proposes to do and within what I’m looking for, there are tools that can be adjusted and improved but nothing that would harm the use of the software

Pros

Inkscape surprised me positively for the number of features and more, for being free and for having open source. Creating knots, curves and modifying the lines is super easy and simple to use. Some tools are very similar to other expensive and robust software on the market. It is a great software for creating CNC files and a laser machine that I use to make my models.

Cons

The knot cutting tools, drawing and color tools could be more complete and diverse. Creating and excluding nodes and joining them is a little difficult, which makes the learning curve slower and longer. Automatic vectoring (like the mask of bipmaps from other software) could exist even if it were simple.

Ryan R.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Super Handy for Laser Cutting

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

Inkscape is a very powerful software for aiding in Vector and Raster creations that will be laser cut. In combination with K40 Whisperer, I'm able to get a lot of things done with my laser cutter.

Tracing an image and then having the tools to fine tune that trace afterward, makes this software extremely helpful to me.

If they would work a bit on the front end layout of the software, it would really help the novice users. I think that it could be a bit more streamlined. However, the tools are there to get a lot done and the price is right!

Pros

The image tracing feature of this software is very helpful if you like creating customized designs that will be used for laser cutting. Laser cutters require a path to follow and this tracing capability makes it possible to create a cut path for nearly any image that you have.

One other thing... it is free! How awesome is that?

Cons

The layout of the menus and buttons in this software takes some getting used to. It doesn't seem to follow a typical Microsoft type layout or similar. There are buttons and menus scattered on all sides of the screen, so it can be pretty overwhelming to figure things out when you are getting started.

Matt M.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Flexible free vector illustration software

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

I have used Inkscape for personal and professional illustrations. I have used it to convert line drawings to vector files for logo and clipart creation. A few hard to open PDFs have even been accessed by Inkscape when I needed to get to something inside.

Pros

I have to admit, open source software is always intriguing to me. When it works well that is all the better.
One of the best features is the conversion tool for taking my black and white line art from a photo and turning it into a quality vector image.

Another great feature is the active blur. With it, I can blur lines and shapes until I get exactly what I want. There is no intermediate step of choosing a number or checking a preview box before applying it.

The software is being actively worked on, and improved. That is a huge plus when looking at open source software of any kind.

Cons

It may be a bit of a bother for some to run it on a Mac. It runs great but it requires Quartz to be installed and then it runs in that. I have used it on Mac PC and Linux with no noticeable differnces.
The interface may be clunky at times, but I'm more concerned with how the tool works than how it looks.

Does 95% of vector based competitors for FREE

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

I always recommend beginners wanting to learn vector-based software to start with Inkscape because it can do it all and is completely free.

Pros

Inkscape isn't easy to pick up and learn but neither are any of the other vector-based graphic design software programs. For free, Inkscape really can't be beat. If you need to learn how to do something, the community is all over and you can search online with multiple examples displayed by contributors.

Cons

Very seldomly the software would crash when I started up. This seems to have been fixed.

• Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Inkscape: A free, feature-rich program for vector graphics and text

Reviewed on 2021/03/06

Inkscape has helped me design my own t-shirts, and by importing my own photos and fonts, I've made a number of different album covers for my music projects. Inkscape has saved me the expense of hiring a graphic designer, and I highly recommend it.

Pros

Besides the fact that it's free, I like how you can use layer to create visual projects in Inkscape. The program allows you to draw, paint, and add text to images just like Corel Draw, and the program offers a number of different filters to process photographs with. Fonts can be imported into Inkscape from external sources, giving the user unlimited ability to create everything from album covers to t-shirt art, flyers, illustrations and much more.

Cons

I think Inkscape would work best on newer computers, as my laptop is older and sometimes there's lag time when the program is trying to process my images.

Ken K.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

For free graphics software, this is one of the best. Easy to use, lots of function and add on features. I use the create path function to create dxf and svg files for laser engraving and cutting.

Cons

Not a lot to not like about this software. A better way to control contrast would be nice.