Inkscape

Business Graphics Software

Nicole
Nicole

Best free tool similar to Illustrator

Reviewed on 2022/04/08

Overall, we needed a low to no-cost alternative to Illustrator for our small nonprofit and Inkscape fits that dynamic perfectly, allowing us to create logos and other needed artwork for our fundraising campaigns.

Pros

Inkscape allows complete productivity without paying. The software is easy to use if someone has experience with Illustrator.

Cons

I haven't found any features about Inkscape that I do not like at this point!

• Industry: Online Media

Power, Free, and Open Source

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Inkscape allows me to create designs for laser cutting, for logos and other web graphics, etc. There is definitely a learning curve, but there is a wealth of information in a variety of formats to help get smooth things out.

Pros

I appreciate that I get a powerful vector design option without being tied to a costly subscription. As a small business owner (with an equally small budget) who needs to use quality design software, Inkscape has all of the features I need to get the job done and then some.

Cons

Inkscape isn't always as user friendly as it could be and every once and awhile I find myself looking feature that seems like it should be an obvious choice to include. There are always work arounds, but they take longer.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Largely because it's free, although I would be willing to pay for it. I have a particular dislike for the subscription software model, so I was glad for a quality alternative.
Jeffrey
Jeffrey
  • Industry: Design

Lets be real, its free. You can't complain, right?

Reviewed on 2020/09/13

This is NOT a long term solution. If you think you're going to be editing vector files for the extended future, get Illustrator. It's great in a pinch for one off jobs, but do not waste time learning it in depth.

Pros

Its free! That means I don't need approval from the man with the card to use it!

It also has almost all the functionality of Illustrator and exports all the standard vector file types. If you're in a pinch and need to edit vector art without shelling out BIG BUCKS to Adobe, this is the standard solution.

Cons

If you're used to Illustrator GOOD LUCK. Nothing works the way you think it should. Getting anything done gives me empathy for my Roomba. Sure it gets my floor vacuumed eventually, but its does it by banging into every obstacle.

Its free.
Arnold
Arnold

Amazing piece of vector editing software

Reviewed on 2023/11/15

Using it for over 10 years now. I can't imagine wanting it to change for different software.

Pros

It's free and opensourced. I stopped using Corel Draw because Inkscape do the jobs I need much better.

Cons

Not much support for large format printing

Nigel Masimba
Nigel Masimba

Great For Web Development Quick Fixes

Reviewed on 2020/05/22

Inkscape is great for minor edits to images and for exporting SVG images to raster formats. I use it to create minimalist icons and export them to PNG format. However, due to the rise of the WebP format I've had to add an extra step to my workflow where I export from SVG to PNG, then from PNG to WebP. While I could install a WebP plugin for Inkscape I've had bad experiences with Inkscape plugins in the past and I avoid them as much as possible.

Pros

Supports most of the mainstream media formats.
Uses okay file compression for exported PNG files.
It's easy to use and learn.
It's stable.

Cons

It does not support WebP image import and export out of the box.
Compatibility issues when objects/shapes are not converted into paths. If I don't convert SVG objects to paths they might not display correctly in other applications.

Reasons for Choosing Inkscape

Corel Draw is not supported on my current operating system (Linux-based)

The other options are not supported on Linux-based OSs
Stanley
Stanley

Most popular Opensource Vector Design Software

Reviewed on 2022/11/09

Inkscape has been my companion for quit some time and its agood replacemnt for CorelDraw and Illustrator for most of my project.

Pros

Community support and availability of tutorials for Inkscape make it the go to application for vector design and the fact that its free and opensource make it the best or student and newbies to getting started. Also support for Windows and GNU Linux make a fine addition.

Cons

Lack of support for most data file format especially proprietary one that are industry standard.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Cost of implementing Inkscape is zero on license and that is very vital for startup.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Inkscape is one of the best design tools

Reviewed on 2023/01/01

Overall i like inkscape very much. I think that is a big competitor to adobe programs because it can get the same quality of work without over prices of adobe which many people can't afford it

Pros

I like that it is professional. It has alot of options and tools to make my designs look unique and professional. Also, it is very easy to use.

Cons

I don't like the lack of Arabic Fonts which they should give much care because i need it in many projects

Fantastic free tool for vector graphics

Reviewed on 2020/08/26

Overall, I'm very happy with Inkscape and use it to create/edit logos, banners, and other illustrations.

Pros

Without question, the best thing about Inkscape is the fact that it's completely free. It offers all the tools you'd ever need and has lots of useful extensions for more specific needs.

Cons

It's hard for me to find something to dislike about Inkscape. I'd only say that it could use some tweaks in the interface itself, especially in the dark theme.

Sibusiso
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Professional graphic designing tool for beginners

Reviewed on 2023/01/22

inexpensive alternative to Photoshop. the functions of the software are easy to understand and use once you've familiarised yourself with it. overall I've had a great time learning how to design using this software. I would definitely recommend it for someone who is learning graphic design.

Pros

free to use software for beginners who cannot afford the priced alternatives and its just as good.

Cons

Functions are hard to use for new users. Prone to latency. limited features.

• Used for 2+ years

A great free program for illustrators

Reviewed on 2019/11/29

I've used Illustrator a lot more than Inkscape, but I do like Inkscape and I recommend it for people who can't justify paying for Illustrator.

Pros

It's free! If you don't want to pay for Adobe Illustrator or other expensive software, or if you are just a hobbyist, you can't beat Inkscape.

Cons

Because it's free, the functionality is not quite as robust as software like Adobe Illustrator. Of course, you would expect that from a free program.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

I didn't choose it over Illustrator, I use both.
Antonio

Best free vector graphics software

Reviewed on 2021/01/29

I used it to create icons for my small business and for the larger clients we had. It was a quick and easy way to create vector graphics. I also used it for our comics. We would trace the drawn comics to blow them up to be printed as posters. I also managed to blow up some comics for use on merch websites that required crazy high resolution source files. I LOVE the program and now I use it in tandem with another similar software I bought at the beginning of the year mainly for the tracing option.

Pros

It is free and it does everything other vector graphic softwares do! Unlike some of the competitors it actually has a decent tracing option.

Cons

It takes way too long for it to start. Other than that, everything is amazing, but I spent minutes every time I tried to start the program. It was on the computer that would start comparable software in under a second.

Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

It was free and had all (or in one case more) options that the rest.
Joshua
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Inkscape offers an Illustrator-like experience, if you're willing to poke around.

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

I use Inkscape frequently for creating documents and image assets on our website, email marketing platform, and social media platforms. Like I said, the interface took some getting used to (the differences are just...a little weird sometimes), but I'm quite comfortable in the basics and learning new things every day!

Pros

Elephant in the room: it's free, which is fantastic! It offers a robust feature set that is more than sufficient for my non-power-user needs. Also, since it's open source, its potential for extensibility is huge. The online community is incredibly helpful when I get stuck.

Cons

I found the controls to be less intuitive than Illustrator, but once you get used to it this is fine, too!

Micalen
  • Industry: Computer Games

Inkscape: Vector Design software for all creators.

Reviewed on 2022/06/26

Inkscape shouldn't really be compared to other software which specializes in illustrations such as Krita. Inkscape is always first a vector design software and one of the best at that. It requires more technical skills than artistic but both artist and graphic designers and even game designers can make full use of this software.

Pros

It's vector design is my favorite thing. I've tried creating logos as rasterized images in other software but they scale horribly. However, as vectors they are perfect and Inkscape does vectors best. The large amount of tools allows me to truly create anything. I use it for logos but also for specialized lettering and sound effects for comics. And it's a free software!

Cons

As far as UI it's not the best looking and can be confusing. You will definitely need to learn how to use the software to its full capacity.

Waqas

Top quality graphics editing software

Reviewed on 2021/05/19

It is full featured vector based graphic editing software with lots of extension available. Their website provides good manual for using the software. As a free alternative to Adobe Illustrator is came handy.

Pros

It is great software for vector based graphics (SVG) creation and editing. It provide lots of vector editing tools. Most important tool in Inkscape is Node selection which is alternative to direct selection tool of Illustrator. It is free alternative to adobe Illustrator.

Cons

Sometimes the processing is slow. User Interface is not user friendly. Require extensive learning curve. Issues with editing Illustrator files.

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The best tool for small business

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

Apart from not being the chosen solution for the printing industry, Inkscape works as well as all the other solutions, it opens the files produced by them and exports to their format.
Inkscape does not require the purchasing of a license, making it perfect for small businesses.
It is easy to work and working with it is just like working with the best software your money can buy.

Pros

Inkscape has all the features the major vector illustration tools provide, with more control over the end result, the file, and is distributed under a GPL license, meaning it is free of charge and free to be modified by knowledgeable developers.
It provides ways to implement new features via scripts, and also has a great developers' environment, continuously working on improvements for the tool.

Cons

Other than the fact that the publishing industry does not use it as the standard, there are no downside in using it.

James
  • Industry: Libraries

Inkscape - Flexible, Easy to use vector editor and graphics design layout tool

Reviewed on 2023/10/17

As with any small organization there is a need to balance efficiency with cost. Over the years I have used several of the commercial vector art software packages available. I find that in inkscape I can easily match 90% of the capabilities of the commercial software. When you evaluate the cost of licensing commercial software for each of the staff computers compared to the 10% increase in features you can then determine whether the cost increase is worth it. In our case, as a library, the answer was that the additional features added little to the ability to create the content we need.

Pros

I frequently am handed details on an upcoming event and need to turn out flyers, posters and other media for it in just a short period of time. With Inkscape I can quickly and efficiently bring together existing artwork (e.g. logos), new clipart, and create graphic elements to form a broad range of media with consistent style and content.

Cons

The one area that I would like to see improved most is handling large sections of text. As a vector art tool you can easily modify individual words and letter by warping, distorting, clipping and more. But when it comes to doing a block of text that needs to dynamically wrap around other elements on the page Inkscape is not as intuitive as it might be. This is improving with each new release and I am anxious to see what develops over the next few updates.

Debbie

Inkscape from a Person who is not techie

Reviewed on 2023/01/31

Inkscape can be used to create logos, icons, illustrations, and graphics for print, web, and mobile applications. It can be used to create marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, and advertisements. It can also be used to create technical diagrams for reports, presentations, and manuals.BenefitsThe main benefit of using Inkscape is that it is free and open source, making it accessible to anyone with a computer. It is also very user-friendly and intuitive, allowing even novice users to create professional-looking images. Inkscape also supports multiple file formats, allowing users to export their work in a variety of ways. Finally, Inkscape features a number of tools and features that make it easy to create complex graphics with relative ease.

Pros

1. Inkscape is free and open-source, so it is available for anyone to use without having to pay for a license. 2. It is easy to use, with an intuitive user interface and comprehensive set of features. 3. It is highly compatible with other vector graphics software, allowing you to easily export and import files from other programs. 4. It has a wide range of features and tools, making it suitable for both experienced and novice users.5. Inkscape is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms, making it accessible to a wide range of users.

Cons

1. Inkscape is not as powerful as more expensive vector graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator.2. The user interface can be confusing for some users, as there are a lot of options and tools available.3. The software is not as well-supported or updated as other vector graphics software, so users may not get the same level of customer support.

David
David
  • Industry: Wholesale

Open Source Vector Graphics Software

Reviewed on 2019/04/07

I really like it over all you can do everything you need that all of the other paid softwares can do with exception to working with CMYK formats, this software is that good that when they get to integrate the CMYK color format as a printout file, a great majority of the people in the printing industry will switch to it. Is so well thought that is possible to designs faster than illustrator and corel draw, many of the tools make the job easier plus you can give a donation of 30 bucks or 100 bucks or 10 a year depending on you, but you get so much power for every cent or dollar you donate to the inkscape team.

Pros

- The amount of stuff you can do with this Open Source software is outstanding and the quality is superb, you can create all the graphics necessary for your websites, motion graphics, banners, games and animations.
- Also is possible to export to a variety of file formats supported by adobe, save images with transparency and even create DXF files for CNC and G code machine cuts, even use your plotter straight out of the software with a plug in.

Cons

- May have a bit of a steep learning curve since it is open source but there is ton of documentation and videos in youtube to overcome this challenge.
- With heavy graphics the program can crash if you do not save your work on layers so you can turn off finished work and work on layers, but can be overcomed with constant saving.
- It can be confusing when you select graphics because it’s highlighted only with a dotted box.
- Some tools don't work in a logical manner.
- It does not support CMYK colors.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

My "Go-To" for Vector Images and Graphics

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

There are a plethora of different applications this software has for business. Design business cards, letterheads, logos, mailers, flyers, and brochures - create a cartoon character or an emoji for your social media pages. Design stickers or a million others things that your business can use to promote. Or, perhaps it is your business to create images for others. Either way, this software can handle it. Personally, I use this software all of the time and I just love to work with it.

Pros

Inkscape allows you create and edit beautiful vector images and graphics! With just a little bit of imagination, a user can do so much because the creators have put so much functionality into this software. I have used many different graphics programs and I really prefer Inkscape since getting used to the controls. I use this software to make cartoon graphics of people for use on their social media accounts. Generally, I have to do a lot of edits to get an image exactly the way someone wants it to look. Inkscape makes those changes easy. This software can be used to make simple edits or to create full gorgeous graphics and the best part is that the software is free to use.

Cons

This software is certainly not for someone who is not tech savvy. There are some other programs that are more user friendly. However, in my opinion, those programs aren't as dynamic either. Inkscape can be intimidating and a little bit frustrating to even someone who does have some understanding of computer graphics until you learn the ins and outs of the program and where/how the functions are laid out. With that said, once you get in there and play with everything, the program develops an ease of use that will have a person preferring this software over other, much more expensive options.

Michael

Inkscape, a "Go To" for so many reasons...

Reviewed on 2019/07/31

Inkscape is really fantastic. It's always installed on my multiple work desktops. I have found Inkscape great for mocking up websites, and also doing perfectly formed layouts for printing. When I need to do some CNC work with my X-Carve, I throw the shapes together in Inkscape, export to an SVG, and I'm not long from rocking and rolling.

There are very few programs that I've used the same way for so long, but I keep coming back to Inkscape.

Pros

Free and Cross Platform! Inkscape gets the job done when I need vector graphics, SVGs, and more. I use it primarily for my room maps, rack layouts, network diagrams and more. As I've started doing a lot of CNC milling, I've found it very useful to do my designs in Inkscape, and then port them over!

Cons

Learning curve makes it a slow start, when I have to shake off the rust. The software hasn't had a great deal of graphical updates, and still has the dated look it it. But this is only cosmetic.

Price, ease of use.
Martinus Ignorence

InkScape is all Vector

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

Inkscape is a fantastic free software and its fundamental center is the making of vector-based designs - it does this particularly well. You can create great SVG illustrations for marking (or some other use, as a matter of fact) yet you should invest energy and examination of the item piece to have the option to receive use it effectively and receive the most in return. On the off chance that you are hoping to deal with raster-based designs, GIMP is a superior choice.

Pros

Inkscape is strong programming to draw delightful drawings, for example, vector pictures. The fundamental benefit is that it is free. Picture control should likewise be possible somewhat. At first, it isn't extremely natural in the event that you are utilized to other application programming projects, for example, AutoCAD, yet there are numerous instructional exercises to acquaint with it.

Cons

Crashes at some point (yet consistently a make a backup document).Less help on 3D Illustrations. Have to be more creative.

Shamori
  • Industry: Graphic Design

So versatile

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

Pros

One of the things I love about this software is that is free! Anything that you could do in illustrator, you can literally do in Inkscape.

Cons

The only con would be the interface, there should be names on the different tools. For a beginner it would take some time to find and identify the tools and modes.

• Industry: Import & Export

Inkscape is thee free software for all skill levels

Reviewed on 2022/05/10

Overall I rate the product highly. It can do almost everything that I need it to do, is easy to learn and is free. There is nothing currently that would make me look for something else.

Pros

I like that it is free, the software is easy to use and there are countless tutorials online on how to use the product. If you want to do anything and do not know how to do it, you can find it on YouTube. That is how I learned and although I would not consider myself and expert, I am good enough.

Cons

There are a few things that I do not like and that is that the software can crash randomly sometimes 10 times in 30 mins. It is infuriating. Also, there can be issues with importing graphics if the formatting is slightly off. Also the options for CMYK colors are limited.

Dan
Dan
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Fantastic free alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

Overall experience is very good. I've been using Inkscape for over a year now and would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get a start in illustration and graphic design. I've been able to create lots of fantastic designs for print on demand clothing sites like Teespring and Printful as well as graphics for my websites and blogs.

Pros

Just as good as Illustrator when it comes to making logos and designs. Very similar to Illustrator in features and functionality. Whatever you can make in Illustrator, you can also make in Inkscape with relative ease. Fantastic alternative to Illustrator since it is open source, actively developed and free! Working with gradients is much easier in Inkscape. Inkscape is also far less CPU intensive than its Adobe counterpart, whereas Illustrator is a beast and requires some intense GPU power.

Cons

It is much easier to work with text in Illustrator than it is in Inkscape. Inkscape can be a little messy here sometimes. Another con is that Inkscape doesn't currently allow you to output files with a CMYK color profile, which is inconvenient when it comes to designs for print.

Cássia Aparecida
  • Industry: Facilities Services

The best cost benefit!

Reviewed on 2023/05/08

I have used Inskape for many years, as a free option for anyone looking to do more professional work, Inkscape offers a wide range of features and is a great choice for graphic designers, artists, illustrators and other professionals who need to create vector-based images . Being free software, I often use Inkscape for free for personal and commercial use on various platforms such as Windows and Mac.

Pros

What stands out most about Inkscape is that it is easy to use and that it supports various extensions and plugins, allowing the creation of new functionalities and features. For example, the program allows you to import files from other graphics programs, such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW. Furthermore, it supports a wide range of file formats including SVG, PDF, EPS, PNG, OpenDocument and many others.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the program, as it has always met my needs perfectly.