Inkscape

3.9/5
4.0/5

Nicole
Nicole

Best free tool similar to Illustrator

Reviewed on 2022/04/08

Overall, we needed a low to no-cost alternative to Illustrator for our small nonprofit and Inkscape fits that dynamic perfectly, allowing us to create logos and other needed artwork for our fundraising campaigns.

Pros

Inkscape allows complete productivity without paying. The software is easy to use if someone has experience with Illustrator.

Cons

I haven't found any features about Inkscape that I do not like at this point!

Ray
  • Industry: Research

Very capable, powerful tool for creating vector images. Cross-platform and open source.

Reviewed on 2021/04/08

Since 2004, I have used Inkscape for creating vector graphics. Inkscape can easily handle small reasonably complex drawings. However, when working on large diagrams, comprised of hundreds of objects and many layers, Inkscape would become less responsive and occasionally crash. For creating highly complex diagrams, I still rely on CorelDraw which is far more robust overall. But I use Inkscape for all simpler diagrams and have watched it transform over the years into an increasingly powerful vector graphics program.

Pros

Cross-platform and open source. This has several big advantages:

a) No need to worry about proprietary file formats and vendor-lock because it saves files in the open SVG format. Drawings that you create today will still be easily opened and used 10 years from now in either new versions of Inkscape, or in one of many other applications that can also open SVG files.

b) No economic barriers to use- our members can easily download and use Inkscape without worrying about license costs. This helps encourage teamwork and sharing responsibility of creating drawings.

c) No barriers caused by using different operating systems: Our organization members can use Inkscape on our computers regardless of which operating system. Some members Linux, others use Mac or Windows 10). Inkscape performs flawlessly on all installations.

Can import Adobe Illustrator (AI), CorelDraw (CDR), EPS, PDF, VSD files and allow modification and edits.

Cons

The way Inkscape handles docker panels is somewhat confusing. Dockers are sidebar panels that display information about layers and objects in the drawing. Currently, the user must navigate to the software menu, click on OBJECT and then click on "Object" to turn on the Object docker panel. The same slow procedure must be repeated for Layers: navigate to the software menu, click on LAYER, and then click on "Layer" to turn on the Layer docker panel. A more convenient option would be to list all docker panels in the software menu VIEW drop-down list or perhaps somewhere else.

In CorelDraw, I used to organize objects in my drawings by placing them in different layers. Inkscape does not seem to be able to do this. This is immensely useful for creating maps as each layer can be turned on or off depending on the type of map you want to create. ie) having a Road Layer, Water Layer, Houses Layer, Vegetation Layer, etc allow me to turn on only the layer I want to display. I can then create separate image files /diagrams for roads, river systems, housing, and vegetation for use in documents or academic articles.
Inkscape developers stated several years ago that this feature would be implemented. Perhaps it was implemented, but I have not been able to get Inkscape to work this way

When working on very large and complex diagrams with many layers, Inkscape can become quite slow to respond. For this reason, I tend to use CorelDraw for complex large diagrams

Jeffrey
Jeffrey
  • Industry: Design

Lets be real, its free. You can't complain, right?

Reviewed on 2020/09/13

This is NOT a long term solution. If you think you're going to be editing vector files for the extended future, get Illustrator. It's great in a pinch for one off jobs, but do not waste time learning it in depth.

Pros

Its free! That means I don't need approval from the man with the card to use it!

It also has almost all the functionality of Illustrator and exports all the standard vector file types. If you're in a pinch and need to edit vector art without shelling out BIG BUCKS to Adobe, this is the standard solution.

Cons

If you're used to Illustrator GOOD LUCK. Nothing works the way you think it should. Getting anything done gives me empathy for my Roomba. Sure it gets my floor vacuumed eventually, but its does it by banging into every obstacle.

Its free.
  • Industry: Online Media

Power, Free, and Open Source

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Inkscape allows me to create designs for laser cutting, for logos and other web graphics, etc. There is definitely a learning curve, but there is a wealth of information in a variety of formats to help get smooth things out.

Pros

I appreciate that I get a powerful vector design option without being tied to a costly subscription. As a small business owner (with an equally small budget) who needs to use quality design software, Inkscape has all of the features I need to get the job done and then some.

Cons

Inkscape isn't always as user friendly as it could be and every once and awhile I find myself looking feature that seems like it should be an obvious choice to include. There are always work arounds, but they take longer.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Largely because it's free, although I would be willing to pay for it. I have a particular dislike for the subscription software model, so I was glad for a quality alternative.
  • Industry: Research

Inkscape : Free and Formidable

Reviewed on 2021/04/27

I primarily use Inkscape for generating simple graphics as visual aid to my research work. For this role, Inkscape is possibly the best and only free open-source software in the market.

Pros

Inkscape has an arsenal of formidable graphic design tools which allow me to generate graphics and schematics to support my research work. The ability to export and use these artwork across applications makes Inkscape an asset.

Cons

The user interface and the ease-of-use is not the best. There is a steep learning curve for most users.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Inkscape is one of the best design tools

Reviewed on 2023/01/01

Overall i like inkscape very much. I think that is a big competitor to adobe programs because it can get the same quality of work without over prices of adobe which many people can't afford it

Pros

I like that it is professional. It has alot of options and tools to make my designs look unique and professional. Also, it is very easy to use.

Cons

I don't like the lack of Arabic Fonts which they should give much care because i need it in many projects

Fantastic free tool for vector graphics

Reviewed on 2020/08/26

Overall, I'm very happy with Inkscape and use it to create/edit logos, banners, and other illustrations.

Pros

Without question, the best thing about Inkscape is the fact that it's completely free. It offers all the tools you'd ever need and has lots of useful extensions for more specific needs.

Cons

It's hard for me to find something to dislike about Inkscape. I'd only say that it could use some tweaks in the interface itself, especially in the dark theme.

Sibusiso
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Professional graphic designing tool for beginners

Reviewed on 2023/01/22

inexpensive alternative to Photoshop. the functions of the software are easy to understand and use once you've familiarised yourself with it. overall I've had a great time learning how to design using this software. I would definitely recommend it for someone who is learning graphic design.

Pros

free to use software for beginners who cannot afford the priced alternatives and its just as good.

Cons

Functions are hard to use for new users. Prone to latency. limited features.

• Used for 2+ years

A great free program for illustrators

Reviewed on 2019/11/29

I've used Illustrator a lot more than Inkscape, but I do like Inkscape and I recommend it for people who can't justify paying for Illustrator.

Pros

It's free! If you don't want to pay for Adobe Illustrator or other expensive software, or if you are just a hobbyist, you can't beat Inkscape.

Cons

Because it's free, the functionality is not quite as robust as software like Adobe Illustrator. Of course, you would expect that from a free program.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

I didn't choose it over Illustrator, I use both.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Inkscape is a worthwhile open-source vector platform

Reviewed on 2019/11/23

Inkscape has been invaluable for us as a solution for staffers who don’t do enough vector work to require a Creative Cloud subscription, but occasionally have to do graphical work. Because it’s not user-friendly, I hesitate to recommend it as a full-service corporate solution, but as a low-cost option or a stand-in, it’s very serviceable.

Pros

Inkscape is powerful—it has deep functionality, and allows users to do almost anything they want to do with vector graphics.
Secondly, Inkscape is free. Price point is definitely an advantage.

Cons

Inkscape is not user-friendly. It takes a lot of time to learn, and even some basic functionality will require making use of the support documentation.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Price point. For our users who are working with vector graphics daily, we preferred Creative Cloud.

One of the best free software for illustrators

Reviewed on 2022/06/09

Inkscape is an amazing free software with great features that lets you create and edit vector and no-vector graphics, import and export designs in variety of format, and play with your own designs. It is a great free alternative to Illustrator.

Pros

For a free software, inkscape is feature-packed with almost everything its rivals offer. I love that it allows us to vectorize almost any design, even ones inpkrted from external drawing applications. File conversion from svg to editable PDFs is also a very useful tool, one that isn't available for free anywhere else. It is available on all OS, but seems to work best on Linux. It's recent updates have been fabulous, bringing in newer features and better interface. It also has a great support base with thousands of tutorials and an extensive manual to help whenever we are stuck. You will also find many twmplates online to avoid working from scratch.

Cons

Does not allow exporting to jpeg, which is a shame. Not all features are supported when a file is imported from Illistrator. Also, the learning curve is very steep. Even people having fairly good knowledge on Illistarttor and such applications will have to go through basic Inkscape tutorials to know how to get a job done. It also lags a bit sometimes.

Adam
  • Industry: Media Production

Escape from monthly dues, try Inkscape

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Love it! I use it monthly to design fliers, t-shirts, business cards and help with web design for our non-profit that we run in our spare time. Inkscape is really a tool that can do it all and will not break your budget.

Pros

This is an open source project, I love things that are free (as in free beer and free speech). Inkscape is such a great value for the money. It takes a little time to learn, just like other graphics programs. If you are coming from the Adobe Illustrator realm, you will find things frustrating initially. Menu and tools and shortcuts are all different. But the principles of vector design and illustration are all there. You can literally do anything with this product. It won't have that glossy appeal of using Ai but it WILL get the job done. I just printed 100 T-shirts last week from an .eps I created in Inkscape (design and layout).

Cons

It's not flashy like Adobe, it doesn't look sexy from an interface perspective. Does that matter? Probably not. There is a learning curve though, be patient it is worth it.

Linos
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Feels ready to move to a stable release

Reviewed on 2019/05/11

I started using Inkscape years ago, mostly to convert vector graphics and work with them as paths in GIMP. As both the application progressed and I became more experienced with vectors, I can now work from scratch in Inkscape when I need something done that way.

Pros

A cross platform, open source solution, with a helpful community. After a lot of work through more than a decade, Inkscape now feels more stable than ever.

Cons

Developer team have not released Version 1.00 yet, so I guess you could run into trouble with certain issues. Still, it is worth trying, and if anything occurs, just give it another try after it goes full stable.

Boxy SVG , Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

I ruled out non-free solutions for being to expensive. LibreOffice Draw was using too much CPU and RAM, and often crashed. I use both Boxy SVG and Inkscape, depending on the situation.
Don
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Anyone can use Inkscape to create images

Reviewed on 2021/12/29

Every time I use Inkscape I want to learn more. There are so many features and options built in you can make anything with this product. To get started I watched a few videos on YouTube but it is pretty intuitive so it won't take long to get creating.

Pros

Inkscape uses some standard features such as text, color, shapes and layers that make it easy to get started. I needed to create a simple logo and was able to piece together simple shapes and text for an interesting design. you can easily import photos, create layers and add elements to highlight areas or make a fun picture. I love that you can quickly select a huge assortment of colors with ease. Of course you can use a custom color but having so many preset colors ready to go speeds up the process.

Cons

I am not too fond of the page border default which I need to remove before I create an image since I do not use it. It would also be great if there were a robust library of shapes that can be used to speed up design.

Matt
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used for 1+ year

Awesome Open Source Vector Design Software

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

When upgrading all of our office computers we lost our old installation of the Adobe Creative Suite. We have since used Inkscape to replace Illustrator. It is very seldom that we use graphics editors in our office, so the cost of an adobe subscription did not make sense.

Using Inkscape has been an amazing free alternative.

Pros

Inkscape is very intuitive and was an easy transition to make coming from illustrator. It does not have the steep learning curve that you may see when leaving other commercial software for open source.

It is not very resource intensive allowing us to run Inkscape on any machine in the office.

Cons

The industry standard is still the adobe suite. It can make things problematic if I need to collaborate with a partner as many people do not use Inkscape.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best tool for small business

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

Apart from not being the chosen solution for the printing industry, Inkscape works as well as all the other solutions, it opens the files produced by them and exports to their format.
Inkscape does not require the purchasing of a license, making it perfect for small businesses.
It is easy to work and working with it is just like working with the best software your money can buy.

Pros

Inkscape has all the features the major vector illustration tools provide, with more control over the end result, the file, and is distributed under a GPL license, meaning it is free of charge and free to be modified by knowledgeable developers.
It provides ways to implement new features via scripts, and also has a great developers' environment, continuously working on improvements for the tool.

Cons

Other than the fact that the publishing industry does not use it as the standard, there are no downside in using it.

Deepak
Deepak

Review of Inkscape

Reviewed on 2021/04/08

Overall, I recommend Inkscape to anyone who is looking for a robust vector graphic editor for free. It is quite capable of meeting graphic design requirements and is actually very easy to use if one has used other vector graphic software before. For the first time user it may be a bit difficults but there are plenty of online resources available to help the first time user tackle various tasks.

Pros

Inkscape is quite intuitive to use for those who have used vector graphics software earlier. It can open / import a variety of formats and can export to a variety of formats too. It starts up quickly and can convert a raster image to vector quite quickly. It handles graphics and text quite well and is an excellent tool for page layout.

Cons

What I want most from Inkscape is to have multiple pages in a single document. Currently Inkscape has just one page per file so creating a multiple page document can be quite frustrating, as each page has to be in a separate file. Having worked with other commercial software that allows multiple page creation within a single document, I found Inkscape's restriction to one page per document less than satisfying.

Karin
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great alternative to higher priced image software

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Inkscape has been a vast improvement over the suite software I was using. I don’t have to switch software to perform different tasks on a project. And, it’s price tag of FREE certainly helps when starting a business with zero capital and only two commissions that are yet to be paid.

Pros

This product is great. It combines all the features I need for SVG creation into one, easy to use, FREE software. Did I mention it’s free? I am trying to run a business selling various art items. I am not very technologically savvy and, as I am still in start up phase with zero capital, I need something inexpensive. I had been paying over $30 a month for another software suite that did not work well for me. Being on a budget so tight it’s basically non-existent, my laptop is very low on RAM, ROM and all those other computer capability things. With the larger suite, I had to install one of the programs, do part of the work on an image, remove that program, install a second program, do more work, and continue this cycle until the images were just right. This made projects take vastly longer than I could charge my clients for. Using Inkscape, I can do all these steps with one program that takes up about a quarter of the resources on my laptop than even one of the two programs in the expensive suite. And, it saves me over $350 a year!

Cons

The only issue I have with Inkscape is one of my own problems. I have been using the expensive suite so long, learning the different names and slightly different icons for Inkscape has taken some time. However, many videos exist on the internet to help people learn how to use the program.

Vinicius

Review for Inkscape

Reviewed on 2022/04/06

115/40 min
Describe your overall experience with Inkscape(Optional)
It's a powerful and general...

115/40 min
Describe your overall experience with Inkscape(Optional)
It's a powerful and general purpose vector end-user free software, great for a vast professional applications like Web Design, Vector/Graphics Business (cards, flyers, etc.) and so on.

Pros

Easy to download, install and use. Doesn't need of high computer requirements, is a lightweight vector software tool.

Cons

Some functions are a bit confused for starters, but the documentation is great and help a lot to solve most issues.

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Low costs and vast documentation.
Dima

Become the master of vector graphics!

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

Inkscape had entered my life over a decade ago and is here to stay! I use it as an image editor, as a sketcher for work flow diagrams and even for renovation projects! This is a must-have for anyone who is even remotely a visual person! ))

Pros

Wow, where do I begin? This software is so powerful, it's like a nuclear missile! I love what you can draw with it - literally anything!! There are so many tutorials online that anyone can use - articles, videos etc - that will teach you the basics as well as some advanced concepts and projects.

One of my favourite uses for Inkscape is the drawing board for project flows. Unlike raster graphics (bitmap image) editors, in Inkscape each object is a vector, meaning that you can copy, paste resize and play around with it indefinitely. This helps me a lot when doing diagrams.

Another insanely helpful function is image cropping. I can import a photo or a bunch of photos into Inkscape and make a collage or a compilation - and then just crop it all to the right fit. Have designed some of our best family photos like this. Plus there are filters and color edits you can apply too!

Since Inkscape is so flexible and so versatile with what it offers, you can use it for literally any drawing/sketching project. Will improve your digital skills and will let you save some paper as well ))

Cons

The learning curve is pretty steep in the beginning and it is expected that the user should know some basics about vector graphics and image editing. But, like I mentioned, there is a ton of resources online to help you master this software, so put in some time initially and it will be an investment to you in the long run.

Jason
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Inkscape is great alternative to Adobe

Reviewed on 2020/09/13

This is a cost effective solution for graphic design for the end user. At home or professional, Inkscape will work for you.

Pros

The price and functionality are great. Inkscape functions well and doesn't take up much storage space as other designer products.

Cons

Beware, Inkscape updates can be tricky due to the amount updates from Apple but its a chance you take. The software for OS is solid but sometimes you need to avoid updates until Inkscape can catch up.

• Used for 2+ years

Escape Expensive Vector Suites with Inkscape

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Pros

100% FREE for the entire package and that's an unbeatable deal. While this doesn't offer as much advanced features as Illustrator or Corel, this software does offer a lot. This is still the best free software of this time of artistic platform. Other Vector image software that's free or even some of the lower-end pay for stuff doesn't compare to Inkscape. If you are familiar at all with Illustrator, then this will feel pretty similar. If you are new to vector images, there's some pretty basic things you can do quickly and a decent amount of tutorials on Youtube and so on. I've used this to make logos for commissioned work and for my own art and I think it's very good. I use illustrator too, but I find myself loading Inkscape often for very quick images. The program isn't very difficult but there's a bit of a learning curb for new folks.

Cons

Not as many features as higher end pay-for-stuff, but it is free and what you get for the price of the time it takes to download is decent. If you are creating simple vector art images, this is pretty decent, but if you are doing something like vector animation, Adobe Illustrator might be worth sticking with. The software is not as intuitive as similar products, but it's pretty versatile.

Shamori
  • Industry: Graphic Design

So versatile

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

My overall experience with the software is fantastic!

Pros

One of the things I love about this software is that is free! Anything that you could do in illustrator, you can literally do in Inkscape.

Cons

The only con would be the interface, there should be names on the different tools. For a beginner it would take some time to find and identify the tools and modes.

Kevin
Kevin

Using Inkscape

Reviewed on 2022/09/30

I have been using Inkscape for many years and it is an essential part of my Technical Writer's toolkit. It provides a rich editing environment with numerous features and functions for creating and editing vector diagrams which can then be included within the documentation I create. This is a tool which rivals Adobe Illustrator, and can in fact open Illustrator (.ai) files flawlessly, allowing me on occasion to "round trip" files from colleagues who only use Illustrator, i.e. open edit and save back into Illustrator format without a single hitch. The plethora of editing tools available within this program are truly staggering. To see the kind of capabilities this program has, visit the user contribution library to see just what can be accomplished with it.

Pros

Inkscape is an outstanding vector graphics editing program allowing a user to create stunning vector designs and save them in SVG format which can then be used by a variety of other programs. The tools available within the package are varied and incredible useful.

Cons

Inkscape's user experience is a little quirky at times and one or two the tools are not entirely intuitive. That said it does not take much usage to master these quirks and foibles.

Dan
Dan
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Fantastic free alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

Overall experience is very good. I've been using Inkscape for over a year now and would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get a start in illustration and graphic design. I've been able to create lots of fantastic designs for print on demand clothing sites like Teespring and Printful as well as graphics for my websites and blogs.

Pros

Just as good as Illustrator when it comes to making logos and designs. Very similar to Illustrator in features and functionality. Whatever you can make in Illustrator, you can also make in Inkscape with relative ease. Fantastic alternative to Illustrator since it is open source, actively developed and free! Working with gradients is much easier in Inkscape. Inkscape is also far less CPU intensive than its Adobe counterpart, whereas Illustrator is a beast and requires some intense GPU power.

Cons

It is much easier to work with text in Illustrator than it is in Inkscape. Inkscape can be a little messy here sometimes. Another con is that Inkscape doesn't currently allow you to output files with a CMYK color profile, which is inconvenient when it comes to designs for print.