Surfer Reviews

Surfer

Cloud-based SEO management & content optimization software

Chris
Chris

Must-have on-page SEO software for any digital agency

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

We are an SEO agency. Surfer helps discover missing keyword opportunities, not just phrases but also singular words. This has been very helpful for many of our clients, ranging from local small businesses to national medium-sized organizations. Additionally, our top benefit is being able to run an SEO audit using the audit tool and offer a quick and free analysis for potential prospects. We have a general template setup where we focus on the most important elements in the audit ranging from the content score to page speed. Not too many agencies do this at no charge -- we do and it's been bringing us a good amount of business -- all thanks to SurferSEO!

Pros

SERP analyzer. It's a powerful tool featuring a friendly visual interface and many interesting features such as the audit and keyword density tool. Additionally being able to view SERP results based on different geographic locations is very useful.

Cons

In the keyword density tool, they once changed the relevancy descriptions from percentages to low, medium, and high. Thankfully they went back with the original percentages, which are much more accurate.

Yos

Awesome Software to Help You Surf in the SEO World

Reviewed on 2021/05/25

Pros

I like that the software is easy to use and filled with actionable tasks. Your competitors wrote more content with more relevant keywords? Well, you know how many words and what keywords to add to your page.

I also like the fact that the software keeps evolving to the user's demands. Surfer started as a basic on-page tool which then added content planner, content editor, keyword research, etc.

The interface is also easy to understand and looks beautiful. Kudos to the team who can translate complex stuff like SEO into a much simpler product which users can use easily.

Cons

I know that this software is mostly used for on page purpose. However, if in the future, it also integrates more backlink data, it can evolve into a very awesome beast and be the ultimate SEO tool.

At the moment, the backlink data is limited but it's not a deal breaker.

PageOptimizer Pro

Reasons for Switching to Surfer

Surfer's layout is much better and easy to use.
Gordon

Direct easy and automatic

Reviewed on 2021/06/01

Pros

The product is easy to use. It literally makes it easy for the writer to follow keyword directions.

Cons

I don't know if you've encountered this before but for some reason it experiences some glitches that erases all the stuff I've written. Like when I'm writing a particular article, if I switch tabs or sometimes just on its own it reloads (saying that the connection was interrupted) and then all of a sudden everything is gone.

It's odd because I'm using an actual ethernet cable which makes my internet connection faster than just using a wireless one. I'm not sure why this is occurring, but it just happened again right now.

Even if I press undo over and over, the words I've written don't come back. What concerns me is that this might become a repetitive cycle, forcing me to screenshot my work all the time.

Tanya

Good tool for Content that Ranks

Reviewed on 2023/12/20

Our time with Surfer SEO has been great. It's easy to use and helps a lot with creating content and improving our SEO. The only thing is, organizing stuff could be simpler without folders. But overall, it's made a big difference in how we work online, making things easier and more successful for our team.

Pros

Surfer SEO is great at telling us how to make our content better for search engines. It doesn't just give general advice – it gives us specific tips that really work. Using Surfer SEO has made a big difference in how well our content shows up in search results, helping us stay visible online and create content that people find useful.

Cons

A bit tricky with Surfer SEO is that you can't organize your stuff into folders. Instead, you have to use tags, and when lots of teammates are using it, finding things becomes a bit of a hassle. Folders would make things way easier, helping us keep our work more organized and team-friendly.

Axel

Great

Reviewed on 2022/07/28

Overall, I have been extremely happy with Surfer. It has made it a lot easier to expect that I will get results from my content. One post I published instantly vaulted into the top 10, and has now settled at #7 (for a competitive keyword).

Pros

I love how easy it is to optimize blog posts. Unlike some other SEO tools, adding the keywords they recommend usually boosts the score. They also seem to have the best algorithm on the market, and I have seen decent results updating my keywords per their recommendations. It adds gamification into my content writing process, which makes it way more fun and satisfying.

Cons

I wish they had an option for pausing plans for a few moths. I'm a small business owner, and I purchased as part of their black Friday deal, so cancelling would mean I lose those perks.

Bex
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

What a fantastic tool - if a little pricey!

Reviewed on 2023/02/08

I actually worked as a content writer and SEO in a previous life, so I know the work it takes to rank. Now running a small social enterprise, it's really important to us that we climb the SERPs in a competitive field. The higher we rank, the more of a positive impact we can make, and I truly believe Surfer will help us do that.

Pros

I compared the content editor with another software I was using and it was miles ahead of the competition. The audit is a fantastic way of refining older bits of content and I've already seen SERP movement by making just a few small changes.I love clustering the keywords to come up with a content plan that is highly targeted and relevant.Overall, I'd really recommend Surfer.

Cons

It is expensive, particularly for small businesses like mine, but there are ways of gaining extra content editor credits which I think is a nice touch as 10 on the basic plan feels very limited. It is a premium product however, so I would expect to pay a premium price.

Dan
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Amazing content optimisation tool

Reviewed on 2023/03/13

Pros

The content editor is a fantastic product that helps to create first page of SERPs quality content through competitor analysis and suggestions.

Cons

The keyword research tool doesn't do it for me - I find it too restrictive with the way it creates topic clusters that can't be edited.

Brian

Surfer SEO review

Reviewed on 2021/11/28

So far, it's been a great tool to help me start to focus more on the SEO of our website and gives us a target to score articles and my pages based on my competitors. It's not perfect, but as a small business owner I know very little about SEO and cannot afford a high-priced agency to help me. Surfer SEO has helped me start improving my SEO presence.

Pros

The scoring system and the ability to create content editors that include questions and some of the competitive sites that rank high for the particular keyword/phrase. It enables you to create an outline and provides a framework for your article/blog.

Cons

Some of the concepts used to score an article are somewhat difficult to understand. For example, NLP(natural language processing). The software scores it, but it's hard to understand how it is scoring your article on the concept.

Frase

Reasons for Switching to Surfer

Frase didn't seem to have the feature set, and Frase was not integrated into Jarvis.ai, which I also use?
William

Repairing Damage to old Articles for Better SEO

Reviewed on 2021/08/11

I started off a little confused, but the customer support was excellent. They cleared up some confusion I had and everything is working well. I also like the Surfer Academy that teaches how to use the tool and some good concepts that you can apply with it.

Pros

I love the audit feature. I have a lot of articles on a site that are full of good information, but they aren't presented in an optimal fashion for search results. Surfer allows me to audit my pages and it makes recommendations I can easily implement to improve my rankings.

Cons

I'm not in love with the credit system. It reduces my ability to work in a bulk mode, doing one stage at a time for multiple articles. When you pay a thousand dollars for a service, you don't want to mess around with credits that limit your options.

Ahrefs

Reasons for Switching to Surfer

Along with Ahrefs being more expensive, I found that the audit feature and the content editor with Jarvis AI were more valuable to me.
James

Finally a great tool for SEO newbies

Reviewed on 2021/06/24

Great software, sometimes a little slow responding and I have lost content before. So I save it as I go. Generally, though, a great piece of software.

Pros

I love the Jarvis integration, the ability to monitor my internal link efficiency and, most of all, the way I can save time by creating topic clusters.

Cons

I am reliant on NLPs and I think I deserve more considering the amount I spend per month! :)

Ahrefs

Reasons for Switching to Surfer

Cheaper and focus on content rather than analysis
Tyler
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 2022/10/18

Pros

I love the content editor feature. As I write articles, it gives me ideas on specific terms to use throughout my post. It allows me to make slight modifications to maximize keywords I am trying to rank for. Even keywords I didn't even think about trying to rank for.

Cons

Keyword research is not as full-formed as some of the other tools available. You get some great ideas with the browser extension and content planner for sure. But those seem to be slightly limited compared to others. Biggest value is in the content editor IMO.

Siddhartha

Absolute necessity for anyone looking to boost website traffic!

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

I have been using Surfer SEO for the past year and have been extremely impressed with its capabilities. As a manager of digital marketing in a start up company, I was looking for an affordable and effective SEO tool to help improve my website's ranking on search engines.Surfer SEO has exceeded my expectations in this regard.One of the standout features of Surfer SEO is its ability to provide accurate and detailed keyword data. This has allowed me to identify the most effective keywords to target in my content, which has helped improve my website's visibility on search engines.Another useful feature of Surfer SEO is Grow Flow. These suggestions have been invaluable in helping me optimize my website's content and structure for search engines. As a result, my website's organic traffic has increased significantly.Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with my experience using Surfer SEO. It is a powerful and affordable SEO tool that has helped me improve my website's ranking on search engines. I highly recommend it to any small business owner looking to improve their online presence.

Pros

According to me the best feature or function of Surfer is content editor and serp analyzer. These two feature helps us a lot in writing quality content.

Cons

The pricing structure of Surfer is the only drawback I can think of. Not that it's pricey, mind you. I currently subscribe to the pro plan, which costs $119. However, I wanted to customize the plan. In pro plan you won't be able to customize your plan. if you need more credit in content editor you just upgrade the plan from PRO to Business.

Stanford
Stanford
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Essential for On-page Optimization

Reviewed on 2021/10/04

There are competitors trying to copy what surfer is doing, but the experience with Surfer is by far the best.

Pros

Using Surfer feels like cracking the code to what matters in search results. Once you have completed your keyword research - something which Surfer is adding more and more functionality to helping - SERP analysis and the content editor will give you all the insight you need into the factors that matter in order to rank. There are competitors trying to copy what surfer is doing

Cons

I love the product and use it so much, that I wish there were more credits offered for the content editor. I tend to run out of credits for that quicker than anything else.

Shekhor
Shekhor

Best On Page Audit & Content Optimization Tool in the Market

Reviewed on 2021/12/18

Pros

I have been using Surfer for more than a year now. I first tried it with a couple of trial accounts. And I finally switched to the paid plan from last May. So far, my experience has been awesome. Let me break it down.

1. If you are uncertain what changes are needed to improve your On-page SEO, hands down, Surfer is one of the best, if not the best tools on the market now. It will suggest you how many words for headings, bold, paragraphs and so on by analyzing the top 50 pages from the SERP for your targeted keyword.

2. It will also help you to optimize your content, suggesting a range of word counts for the most important words related to your article using the NLP.

There are few more features which is really stands out than the most competitors, but for me the above two is what most important.

Cons

Sometimes, due to some technical errors or glitch it can't crawl some websites and that is why the SERP analyzer or content editor will give you incomplete score.

Clint
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Came Back to SurferSEO

Reviewed on 2022/03/21

The two features I use the most are the content editor and the page audit feature. Both of these have helped me improve my on-page SEO. The content editor allows me to see how well my page is optimized, and helps me improve it. The page audit feature compares my page against the top ranking pages for the keywords I'm targeting, and tells me exactly what I need to do to match or beat their rankings.

Pros

This is actually my second time using the software. The first time I tried SurferSEO, I liked it but I thought that it was too expensive. I ended up trying out a different SEO software for about a month. However, I quickly realized that the other software didn't provide nearly as much value as SurferSEO. I decided to come back and give it another try.

I'm glad I did! SurferSEO has helped me improve my on-page SEO significantly. Not only has it helped me identify areas where my pages need improvement, but it has also given me actionable advice on how to fix those issues. As a result, my pages have seen a significant increase in organic traffic.

Cons

Sometimes, the auditing feature can be a bit overwhelming because it lists so many things that need to be fixed. However, the more I use it, the more I realize that it's actually a great thing. It shows me exactly what needs to be fixed, and provides clear instructions on how to fix it. This is an invaluable tool for anyone serious about improving their on-page SEO.

Vikram
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Best SEO Tool Out There

Reviewed on 2021/06/17

My overall experience with SurferSEO has been great. I have not seen anything like it before, and the results speak for themselves.
Surfer SEO is a powerful yet lightweight platform that delivers an easy-to-use interface with features that are usually only available in more expensive products.

Pros

If you're looking for a scalable, affordable SEO solution that delivers amazing results then SurferSEO is the way to go! I've been using it for over five months and am very impressed with how easy it is to use. It's really important when selecting an SEO tool to be able to trust the recommendations. SurferSEO has helped me rank in Google for difficult keywords like "makeup brushes" which would otherwise have taken tons of manual effort without help from software.

SurferSEO recommendations are on the mark every time.

I would recommend SurferSEO to any business that is looking for a scalable, affordable SEO solution and could use the help in ranking well on Google!

Cons

There are certain features that I don't use that much.
Fewer NLP credits.

Riley
Riley

Want to Rank Better? Utilize Competitor Intelligence and Produce Better Content w/Surfer SEO

Reviewed on 2021/07/05

Creating rank-worthy content faster. Can't go back to how I wrote content before.

Pros

Surfer makes competitive intelligence research far more accessible, quicker, and comprehensive. I can see the top-ranking contents' stats to produce more relevant, comprehensive, and better content.

With the details provided, I can match and exceed all of my competitors' stats, provide vital topical relevancy and move up the SERPs. I could do a lot of what SurferSEO does with other tools but with much more time commitment. SurferSEO simplifies the research process while providing real-time analysis of my content as I draft it.

This real-time feedback and progress scoring saves me time on each new article draft, adding to greater content output with more significant ranking potential. It's a simple way to outsource the research and provide better competitor intelligence. youngandtheinvested.com is better as a result.

Cons

I'd like it if the content editor allowed me to see my content score with a pre-selected number of images I plan to include in the content instead of needing to add them into the editor and then again into my WordPress draft. SurferSEO doesn't assess the image quality. Simply selecting the number of images I plan to add and reflecting in the draft score would give me more confidence in the content quality/ranking potential.

Kirsty
Kirsty

Surfer helped us reach page one of Google

Reviewed on 2021/05/25

Very enjoyable - the tool is actually fun to use! The service is second to none - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is very active and quick to respond.

Pros

Unlike other SEO tools, Surfer is very user-friendly and fits perfectly into my team's working day. The content team especially like the content editor tool, allowing them to write SEO-optimised content with ease. I personally like the SERP analyser, allowing me to track our search rankings and performance compared to our competitors, identifying areas for improvement. Crucially, by using Surfer, we have ranked key money pages on our website to the first page of Google within less than six months.

Cons

The Search Console integration does not seem to be useful for me yet, but this may be due to our own site performance.

A time saver for SEOs

Reviewed on 2021/11/30

Get fully optimized articles in the first round you write or order them. As Google now focuses more on topics, rather than keywords, having SurferSEO keeps my writers focused on what's the intent they need to convey with the article.

Pros

With SurferSEO you buy free time. Just thinking about the amount of hours needed to compile all the different words, entities and topics to write a single article makes me shudder. Plus, being able to share the content editor with an external writer to optimize the articles is purely practical. Every way you look at it you save time.

Cons

For usability, it doesn't support keyboard navigation while selecting words and phrases for the content editor. Also, it would be great to have the option the disable the counter for images, headings, paragraphs.

Frase and MarketMuse
Victoria
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

A Great Choice for SEO

Reviewed on 2023/11/18

I use this app both for a client and also for my own needs, and I like it. I've seen a clear difference in traffic which makes me want to continue with Surfer.

Pros

I use Surfer for SEO only and it's pretty good. I like how you can choose a range of similar articles on the internet and Surfer puts them all together and comes up with the SEO steps you need to take to get your own article to rank. The color coding on the keywords makes it easy to use and you can compare how your articles are performing against a range of other ones so you can easily stay on top.

Cons

Sometimes it will tell you the article needs to be around 4000 words, which is more than 4 times what my average is. You can't use the AI writing feature if you've written less than half of the suggested length. Also, if you want to input one of the keywords as a header, it doesn't capitalize the first letter of each word (which might be a minor inconvenience but could be an easy fix for them).

Romilly
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

One place to go to for all your content

Reviewed on 2021/06/15

excellent!

excellent!

Pros

It's so accurate, under promises and over delivers.

Cons

No complaints as such.
There is no keyword difficulty checker that's forcing us to pay for another software subscription but this is not going to be an issue, looks like it is in the list of product updates.

Ahrefs and Frase

Reasons for Switching to Surfer

Pricing issue and this product delivers
Idalmis
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Coffee Break Lover's Review of Surfer

Reviewed on 2021/06/07

I'm overall experience with Surfer has been great. Since using it, my SEO rankings have noticeably improved. I also don't have to guess which phrases to include and how often they should appear.

Pros

There are two main things I love about this software.

(1) The ability to analyze competitor's content and (2) the editor that lets me know which words and headers to include in my content.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is some of the functionality of the content editor. Sometimes unrelated words and phrases are included as terms to include. But to be fair, I can choose to excluded these words.

It also seems that when Surfer analyzes the length of competitor content, the comments are included. So, it sometimes recommends that my content length is longer than it really needs to be.

Mike
Mike

I love to work with Surfer!

Reviewed on 2022/12/06

It's absolutely great. Couldn't work without it anymore. Our team of copywriters has really the focus to create stunning content.

Pros

The content editor tool to help us write great content for our websites. It tells you exactly how much words are being used by competitors and suggests which keywords to use too.

Cons

we've had some bugs in the past in the software but all of them are being fixed by now.

Tom
Tom

Great value for on-page analysis and does quite a bit more as well

Reviewed on 2021/06/28

Very positive, easy to use and reasonably priced.

Very positive, easy to use and reasonably priced.

Pros

Really great for in-house SEO or affiliate SEOs, does everything you really need for an on-page tool. I mainly use the Audit feature to optimize my existing or new posts. Content Editor is great but I personally don't use it much. Good value tool and I supplement with MarketMuse and Frase (Appsumo LTDs).

Cons

Understanding the tool takes some time. Regarding the Audit feature, I wouldn't mind seeing a more granular level of recommendations vis-a-vis page structure: e.g. recommended range of H2's, H3's, H4's and what terms/phrases to put in each one. This is something that POP does that is missing in Surfer. Otherwise, nothing else comes to mind.

Edward
Edward
  • Industry: Information Services

surfer helped us significantly increase website traffic

Reviewed on 2022/06/13

Since December last year, surfer has been officially used as an article writing tool. In the past six months, almost 300 articles have been published. Since the Google algorithm update in May, our traffic has begun to increase significantly.

Surfer is very suitable for team collaboration, our content operations and the writing team work well together to improve the quality of the article content

Pros

We mainly use the surfer nlp function to optimize the content of the article, and use the content planer for keyword planning. Surfer helps us optimize the article publishing process, improve article quality and review efficiency.

Cons

Compared with other seo optimization software of the same type, the price is relatively high