Azure DevOps Services Reviews

Azure DevOps Services

Write a Review!
DevOps solution for handling software testing and deployment

4.4/5
4.5/5
4.1/5
4.2/5

Daniel
Daniel
  • Industry: Insurance

An all in one place to manage scrum teams, store repos and release to prodction

Reviewed on 2023/01/30

We have used Azure Devops across our whole IT department for several years with great success and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Pros

We have used AGILE/SCRUM for several years and Azure Devops allows us to create our backlog containing all of our features & PBI's. We use Devops on a daily basis to run our SCRUM ceremonies by making use of the dashboards to display our burn-down charts, then we use the Sprints section to manage all of the items in the current sprint. We also use Devops to store and manage our repositories from storing the codebase to create pull requests. We then use the pipelines/releases to push our code to several environments with the last one being our production environment.

Cons

Theres not really anything that I have issue with other than maybe the rare occasion that Devops has downtime.

Jira
Sadri
  • Industry: Government Administration

Azure Devops Or not

Reviewed on 2023/02/15

I adopted this tool from the first day

I adopted this tool from the first day

Pros

Azure Devops is intuitive, easy to use, ergonomic.Anyone can use it without training

Cons

Testing pipeline build or release need more times

AWS Lambda

Reasons for Switching to Azure DevOps Services

We use Microsoft technologies and also we use Azure cloud
  • Industry: Computer Games

Functional, but frustrating

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

We've been using Azure DevOps for quite some time, and it's enabled our team to complete tasks efficiently while working from home.

Pros

Azure DevOps Services provides an all in one product planning, tracking, and collaboration experience enabling teams to work well from different teams, projects, locations, and time zones.

Cons

While the power of this software is certainly there, it can be frustrating to use, feeling very much so like a tool aimed at development rather than general product management. UI is clunky, and it can be hard to keep up to date on everything needed.

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Azure DevOps as the ALM Tool of Choice

Reviewed on 2021/07/06

My organization started with 1 team working for development of applications throughout the ALM cycle. We then standardized this as our ALM tool. We folded in the diverse and stubborn teams into the tool without changing many of their tools or processes. We just put this in as the orchestration. Then we customized the templates to cover a wide variety of scenarios for each of the 100+ teams working the product. Finally, we moved our project management, intake, and agile processes into the tool for a single pane of glass across the board for consolidated enterprise management

Pros

If your company is fully invested in the Microsoft product suite, Azure DevOps is the extension of that investment. It allows direct integration with the Cloud Services in Azure for IaC, CaC, and CI/CD code deployments. It also allows the customization for the workflows for Agile, SCRUM, Kanban, etc... to match up with core source control, testing, along with build and release strategies. Its a one stop shop for each of the core disciplines in IT Teams in the ALM process. If you need extensibility to other platforms outside of Azure, the connectors and integration are available to AWS, Google Cloud, On-premise, etc... It allows your teams to work collectively in 1 platform, but use their "own" tools to deliver (i.e. Java, Jenkins, Linux, etc....).

Cons

Because the platform has so many connectors and integrations, customization becomes challenging. You need advocates and training to customize the "teams" to standardize and integrate with working patterns. The features being added are more Microsoft oriented than development oriented.

Gurleen
Gurleen
  • Industry: Information Services

Visual Studio Team Service - A step towards DevOps.

Reviewed on 2019/01/06

Microsoft VSTS DevOps is the best move by the Microsoft, as DevOps is the advanced software development strategy. Continuous Testing with integration of xUnit, jUnit and Selenium make it more flexible. Automation build & Deploy with vNext is good as compared to XML build. Collection code coverage is also good. The Azure DevOps enables DevOps for all platform's software development.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio Team Service DevOps is also known as VSTS DevOps. Development in DevOPS methodology is way fast then the agile. It accelerates the development process and developer. Build & Release is also enhance from the previous version and easy to manage the complex merges while release of the different product. Continuous delivery of the product also help the developer to work and focus on the single task which help in increasing the productivity. Automation Test and Monitoring of application possible with it.

Cons

TFSVC work-space are complex and managing the permission for security is mess up if we select some inappropriate setting. Resolving and fixing it is a big challenge., Microsoft should come with the backup or restore point for the same so if it can be easy to fix can and restore on the earlier position.

Ebrahim
Ebrahim

Must Have Source Control

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Since our company has started using VSTS, I found it very helpful and it has made our work so much easier. We can now all work on the same project at the same time, we have our pipelines and builds going well, so deployments are no longer such a huge concern in terms of reliability and roll-back capability. There is much that I still have to learn, but from what I have experienced so far, I will not use any other version control system.

Pros

Having recently started working with VSTS, I found it capable of so much in terms of version control, continuous integration and also project management(Yes Project Management). The idea of having everything you need in one place, has always been a challenge in many teams. With VSTS DevOps, everyone knows what is happening, from management, to developers, to project managers.
You can see exactly what was changed, by whom and when.
Project managers can plan and allocate tasks to developers and track their progress.
Other than the version control and tracking of progress, continuous integration and delivery enables a seamless link from dev to staging to production and everything in between.
VSTS is indeed a powerful tool that not many can compete with.

Cons

I find it a bit difficult to navigate through. Due to the large scope of functionality, I find myself with too much info at times. From your menu to the left, it branches out to so many different pages.

Emilio
Emilio

A solid choice for IT project management

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

I thinks its a very robust tool which, being integrated into Visual Studio, makes it great especially for devs. From my product manager viewpoint, I like that its easy to track versions and work items, making my work easier and ensuring I dont loose track of anything.

Pros

I think the best about VSTS is the ability to be able to comment on work items, naming people, so that they are notified of what comments you make. This makes it very agile to cooperate and collaborate with my team. Everyone knows what to do, there is traceability, and, for the first time, all the info we need to work is in a single place. Linking and ordering work items by hierarchy is also a great feature that I really like.

Cons

Its a bit hard to get used. There are a few features we are not even using because we do not full understand them. Kanban boards are not that intuitive and we end up using old lists usually. I also find it annoying that I cannot order by columns when looking at a sprint or backlog, I can only do that in queries.

Aram
Aram

If you are using Azure as your Cloud Provider, Azure DevOps is a very logical and convinient...

Reviewed on 2022/02/04

Overall since we had all our infrastructure hosted in Azure for us it was very convenient to host our source code and our build and release pipelines in Azure DevOps and we had a good experience with them.

Pros

The best thing about Azure DevOps is that it is natively integrated and connected to all of your other Azure cloud resources and it makes it easy to manage and govern you infrastructure because they are all inside Azure. It has all kinds of templates for your various software platforms to enable you build and deploy your code from Azure hosted source control into Azure services for your customers.

Cons

Sometimes the build machines can be slow, you need to bring your own build machines and setting your own build machines can be complicated. The Git aspect of the Azure DevOps is also not as smooth as other competitions in the market like Github, but it is very extensible.

Dan
Dan

Getting better

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

VSTS has been getting progressively better over the years and now boats a pretty impressive set of features including a best-in-breed bug/ticket tracking system, excellent source control support and very good CI build/release pipeline management. While some people still swear by the on-prem TFS for their teams (myself included), I am slowly getting swayed towards cloud-based VSTS

Cons

If you rely on VSTS for your code builds you may run into an issue where you are running out of free "build minutes" and will need to purchase more. You may also need to share build hosts with others using VSTS which is very, very annoying. These can also be expanded for a price.

Abhinav
Abhinav
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Visual Studio Team Service with a development mythology of DevOps.

Reviewed on 2018/11/17

Visual Studio Team Service is helping use to jump to the DevOps Development process methodology. The new vNEXT build is really a game changer as once the gated check-in is configure you can Do anything with the builds to play with the code according your need and requirement.

Pros

Visual Studio Team Service DevOps is the one of the best move of the Microsoft. Build & release process for continuous integration delivery that work all platform. Version Controlling is having the two option in GIT and TFSVC for managing the code. Tracking on work is also easy and as developer and manager can check their capacity and work backlogs. Custom reporting can also help you preparing charts. VSTS also Test for your code.

Cons

The least thing I like in it is not covering the monitoring the aspect under the name of DevOps. As a continues feedback is also very important with corresponding to the development. Build automation should simplify and for release management they should provide recommendation for the best practice to implementation.

Powerful software to help plan, develop, and maintain any project

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

Dev Ops (VSTS or TFS) has been the main place I store my code through version control and plan out projects for my current and previous job. Either way of version control you use for your code (TFVC or Git) has a great integration with Visual Studio. From there you can check in or push your changes and once it's hooked up to Dev Ops, it'll appear in the Repos section. You can set the code to build and run all tests by setting a new build in the Pipeline section, along with setting up builds for releases. These have helped immensely when dealing with the program working on other computers.

The main issue I've had with Dev Ops is finding some settings. There has been a few times where it took diving into a few different spots just to figure out how to customize a field. It's also easy to get lost when you're still learning, as there is so much out there.

Pros

There is a ton of features.
They just did a new design and rebranded it.
You can set automatic builds to test your code.
It allows for organized planning through the Boards section.
There is easy integration with Azure Cloud.
It allows use of either Git or TFVC.

Cons

With all of the features, it's easy to get lost.
Settings and security seems to be all over the place, so it's hard to track down the setting you need.
There's a learning curve if you haven't used VSTS or TFS before.

Carleton
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

The Only Agile Tool to Use

Reviewed on 2022/09/07

Since introducing this to our team over 2 years ago we have seen a noticeable increase in productivity and satisfaction from our executive group. We can better articulate the total sum of work remaining and to be done which increases team morale and strategic direction. Highly recommended for any organization looking to implement Agile methodology within their teams.

Pros

Azure DevOps is the absolute leader for Agile deployment. Agile is woven all throughout the DNA of the system and lends itself perfectly to the process and practices that underpin Agile. The best features by far ar the Backlog and Decomposing of tasks. This is beneficial to any working group, IT or otherwise. The other great features are the reporting and burn down chart which provide real time information for team progress that can be broken down further into it's component parts.

Cons

Not too many complaints based on our teams usage of the product but I would say some features can be quite advanced for a team if it's not fully practicing Agile. It is easy to use what you need to and ignore what you don't want but it can be overwhelming for new users.

One Stop Solution for all DevOps needs

Reviewed on 2022/09/14

All in all, I found Azure DevOps Services very useful. It has some of the great features which i have been using daily. It helps me to collaborate with colleagues, track working items, plan sprints, Source code management and Continuous integration/deployment of builds.

Pros

Azure DevOps Services offers various features, I'm using Pipelines(CI/CD), Artifacts, Boards and Repositories mostly. All of the features are very well developed and easy to use. Intensive documentation is offered by Microsoft to learn more about platform's features. Board helps me to track work items. Repositories helps to do peer programming and Pipelines helps to build automatically and deploy. It's integration with other tools like Sonarqube, Ansible and Jenkins are not that hard as well.

Cons

If some of the features comes with learning curve. Apart from that, Microsoft hosted agent pools has its own limitation they are not very useful if we have some special requirements for our project.

Ariel
Ariel
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Intuitive sprint organization and metrics, mediocre test planning options

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

Azure DevOps is an expansive software meant to help manage the full software development life cycle, and it support an agile development environment, from planning to estimating to tracking work, testing and repositories. It accomplishes most of these goals pretty well.

Pros

I find the sprint planning features, dashboard and sprint boards intuitive and convenient. I like being able to organize my tickets and easily see the work of other members of my team.

Cons

I am not a huge fan of the test planning aspect of the program. I find creating test cases to be clunky, even when using the "grid" functionality that allows you to import test cases from a spreadsheet. One example is that when creating a test case using the "grid" feature, if you had multiple line breaks within a single cell in a spreadsheet, it will copy each line break into a separate cell in the grid instead of copying them into a single cell with line breaks as they appeared in the spreadsheet.

The best way to get your CD/CI Pipeline setup without costly overhead

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

VSTS DevOps allowed our team to manage our own DevOps and learn more about DevOps without needing to hire and be mentored by DevOps professionals.

Pros

VSTS DevOps has allowed our team to automate the builds of almost all of our products scaling our release time down and boosting our reliability. We used to be manually deploying our assets which would often cause breaking changes and would spend a day trying to revert the issues but since moving to VSTS DevOps we've been able to roll back versions instantly anytime there are problems but most of the time there aren't issues since VSTS DevOps sends your packages through a build cycle that checks compiler errors.

Cons

Some of the terminology is a little confusing and sometimes it can be hard to find your way around but well worth it once you get your builds setup.

Brad
Brad
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

It has taken a while to get used to, but I like it much better than our old way of doing...

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

I use VSTS Devops as an end user, and let me tell you, it was a big change from my old way of doing things. At my company, we used a combination of SURE and Unisys's Albert in order to keep track of our work. It took a while to get used to VSTS. Everything was in one place, set up for an agile framework, but when I finally got used to it, I loved it so much more.

Pros

Most of all, I like how easy it is to track my work and the work of everyone on the team. Coming from a waterfall development cycle to an agile one, it's a big adjustment, and VSTS DevOps helps make that process easier.

Cons

Okay, this might be indicitve of my product manager more than the software itself, but I'd like it if Acceptance Criteria and Steps to Recreate were required fields in any Bug/PBI (where applicable). It would lead to much better work.

Elexciss
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Organization and Visibility

Reviewed on 2022/02/19

This has helped our business get organized on the multiple projects we are engaged in simultaneously. We had tried a few other systems but this is by far the best.

Pros

I think the best thing about ADO, at least for me and my needs is visibility. It's very easy to see where a ticket is in its cycle and easy to follow up on things as needed. Other coworkers can check the status of their items which removes the need for constant email check ups.

Cons

I'm sure this feature can be turned off (or I could filter my inbox) but I receive a lot of emails about updates on tickets but some of them are unnecessary. I don't need an email to let me know someone liked or thumbed up my comment.

Jothika

Azure DevOps Services - Project Tracker

Reviewed on 2023/05/15

Overall, it is a good tool for assigning the task and tracking the project status of the team members.

Pros

Using Azure DevOps Services, we can easily assign a task to team members and track their activity.It has a user-friendly interface that everyone can use. The main advantage of this tool is to store the code in different versions. We can easily create stories and subtasks.

Cons

The main drawback of this tool is that it is very hard to understand its advanced configuration. It is difficult to give access to the team members because of its cost.

Adam
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

CI/CD and project management workhorse with a lot of integrations

Reviewed on 2021/02/27

This become and essential tool to manage our projects (not only strictly devops) and aggregate the effort on a single platform.

Pros

Azure DevOps has been a natural choice for a Microsoft shop; it has a number of super-straightforward integrations with other tools like Sharepoint, Teams, Flow, GitHub, and more. While started as a project management tool, the ability of deploying pipelines and maintaining the code has proven invaluable. Also, measuring and reporting time spent on tasks and projects is what we use daily.

Cons

GUI could have been slightly more user-friendly, as well as slightky more flexible. A few concepts cause me to rather work around them without the option to adjust to my taste.

Oluwaseun
  • Industry: Banking

unique pipelines

Reviewed on 2023/02/08

automation made easy with CI/CD.

automation made easy with CI/CD.

Pros

I like the fact that every release to the main branch has to go through levels of approval by a senior Developer before it can be finally released to production.

Cons

Codes shouldn't be allowed to run directly from GitHub, it should be initiated directly from Azure Repos. I mean Azure Repos should be very unique.

GitHub

All in one DevOps Tool

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Overall it is great tool for DevOps. It has end to end visibility about application Life cycle management.

Pros

It has all the functions to practice DevOps. It is very to easy to get start and has some free license for trial. I really like the UI.

Cons

MS release functions every week and sometimes hard to get update the skill in Azure DevOps. Need to improve the UX.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Azure DevOps Services

It has more functions
David
David

Good but.... AD

Reviewed on 2023/11/08

Pros

It's good that this is free for smaller teams. It's easy to use and works well.

Cons

It's tied into active directory and it's a pain in the ass to manage users. Also trying to turn off the thing was a huge pain.

Swati
Swati

Azure Devops - Making your agile tasks easier

Reviewed on 2022/10/13

Pros

1. Integration with github etc
2. CI CD pipeline is easy to setup and manage
3. Task tracking is very helpful
4. Product backlog tracking and creation is very user friendly

Cons

1. Can be a bit confusing to new users moving from TFS

Manjeet

A full package

Reviewed on 2022/11/13

Pros

It works seamlessly with its own services as well as third party integrations. Reduces a lot of time in developing flows.

Cons

There is not out of the box way to pass variables from build to release pipeline.

Dario
  • Industry: Human Resources

Powerful but annoying

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

Pros

The mass amount of flexibility using boards, backlogs and assigning stories different areas.

Cons

Feature overload makes it powerful but at times not very obvious such as multi selecting items and assigning them tags.