Azure DevOps Services Reviews

Azure DevOps Services

DevOps solution for handling software testing and deployment

Daniel
Daniel
  • Industry: Insurance

An all in one place to manage scrum teams, store repos and release to prodction

Reviewed on 2023/01/30

We have used Azure Devops across our whole IT department for several years with great success and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Pros

We have used AGILE/SCRUM for several years and Azure Devops allows us to create our backlog containing all of our features & PBI's. We use Devops on a daily basis to run our SCRUM ceremonies by making use of the dashboards to display our burn-down charts, then we use the Sprints section to manage all of the items in the current sprint. We also use Devops to store and manage our repositories from storing the codebase to create pull requests. We then use the pipelines/releases to push our code to several environments with the last one being our production environment.

Cons

Theres not really anything that I have issue with other than maybe the rare occasion that Devops has downtime.

Jira
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Agrxis Review on Azure DevOps Services

Reviewed on 2023/05/13

My overall impression of Azure DevOps Services has been favorable. The platform provides a full range of tools and capabilities for project management and team collaboration. I value the degree of customization offered by the platform since it enables me to modify my workflows to match the unique requirements of my projects. The seamless and useful interfaces with other Microsoft tools and services have also helped me to streamline my work and be more productive. Although the platform is undoubtedly sophisticated, I have found the documentation and community resources to be useful in getting past any roadblocks or difficulties I may have faced.

Pros

Since I've been utilizing Azure DevOps Services, I must admit that I'm impressed with how it has benefited my team and I as we work on development projects. The feature set of this service that caters to numerous facets of software development, such as project planning, code management, testing, deployment, and monitoring, is what I value the most.When it comes to facilitating smooth communication and coordination between team members, including those who operate remotely, Azure DevOps Services' collaboration tools are very beneficial. We can organize activities and monitor progress effectively thanks to the agile boards' and backlogs' intuitiveness and usability.It's also great that Azure DevOps Services enables continuous integration and deployment, which makes it simpler for us to automate our software delivery pipeline and deliver new features and upgrades on schedule. Additionally, troubleshooting reports and prioritizing capabilities come in handy for quickly detecting and fixing issues as they arise.

Cons

Despite my appreciation for the variety of features and capabilities provided by Azure DevOps Services, I have occasionally seen documentation that is deficient or ambiguous, making it challenging to debug problems or comprehend how particular features operate. Despite these difficulties, I continue to think of Azure DevOps Services as a useful tool for organizing my projects and working with my team.

• Industry: Computer Games

Functional, but frustrating

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

We've been using Azure DevOps for quite some time, and it's enabled our team to complete tasks efficiently while working from home.

Pros

Azure DevOps Services provides an all in one product planning, tracking, and collaboration experience enabling teams to work well from different teams, projects, locations, and time zones.

Cons

While the power of this software is certainly there, it can be frustrating to use, feeling very much so like a tool aimed at development rather than general product management. UI is clunky, and it can be hard to keep up to date on everything needed.

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Azure DevOps as the ALM Tool of Choice

Reviewed on 2021/07/06

My organization started with 1 team working for development of applications throughout the ALM cycle. We then standardized this as our ALM tool. We folded in the diverse and stubborn teams into the tool without changing many of their tools or processes. We just put this in as the orchestration. Then we customized the templates to cover a wide variety of scenarios for each of the 100+ teams working the product. Finally, we moved our project management, intake, and agile processes into the tool for a single pane of glass across the board for consolidated enterprise management

Pros

If your company is fully invested in the Microsoft product suite, Azure DevOps is the extension of that investment. It allows direct integration with the Cloud Services in Azure for IaC, CaC, and CI/CD code deployments. It also allows the customization for the workflows for Agile, SCRUM, Kanban, etc... to match up with core source control, testing, along with build and release strategies. Its a one stop shop for each of the core disciplines in IT Teams in the ALM process. If you need extensibility to other platforms outside of Azure, the connectors and integration are available to AWS, Google Cloud, On-premise, etc... It allows your teams to work collectively in 1 platform, but use their "own" tools to deliver (i.e. Java, Jenkins, Linux, etc....).

Cons

Because the platform has so many connectors and integrations, customization becomes challenging. You need advocates and training to customize the "teams" to standardize and integrate with working patterns. The features being added are more Microsoft oriented than development oriented.

Gurleen
Gurleen
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Visual Studio Team Service - A step towards DevOps.

Reviewed on 2019/01/06

Microsoft VSTS DevOps is the best move by the Microsoft, as DevOps is the advanced software development strategy. Continuous Testing with integration of xUnit, jUnit and Selenium make it more flexible. Automation build & Deploy with vNext is good as compared to XML build. Collection code coverage is also good. The Azure DevOps enables DevOps for all platform's software development.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio Team Service DevOps is also known as VSTS DevOps. Development in DevOPS methodology is way fast then the agile. It accelerates the development process and developer. Build & Release is also enhance from the previous version and easy to manage the complex merges while release of the different product. Continuous delivery of the product also help the developer to work and focus on the single task which help in increasing the productivity. Automation Test and Monitoring of application possible with it.

Cons

TFSVC work-space are complex and managing the permission for security is mess up if we select some inappropriate setting. Resolving and fixing it is a big challenge., Microsoft should come with the backup or restore point for the same so if it can be easy to fix can and restore on the earlier position.

Ebrahim
Ebrahim

Must Have Source Control

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Since our company has started using VSTS, I found it very helpful and it has made our work so much easier. We can now all work on the same project at the same time, we have our pipelines and builds going well, so deployments are no longer such a huge concern in terms of reliability and roll-back capability. There is much that I still have to learn, but from what I have experienced so far, I will not use any other version control system.

Pros

Having recently started working with VSTS, I found it capable of so much in terms of version control, continuous integration and also project management(Yes Project Management). The idea of having everything you need in one place, has always been a challenge in many teams. With VSTS DevOps, everyone knows what is happening, from management, to developers, to project managers.
You can see exactly what was changed, by whom and when.
Project managers can plan and allocate tasks to developers and track their progress.
Other than the version control and tracking of progress, continuous integration and delivery enables a seamless link from dev to staging to production and everything in between.
VSTS is indeed a powerful tool that not many can compete with.

Cons

I find it a bit difficult to navigate through. Due to the large scope of functionality, I find myself with too much info at times. From your menu to the left, it branches out to so many different pages.

Aram
Aram
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

If you are using Azure as your Cloud Provider, Azure DevOps is a very logical and convinient...

Reviewed on 2022/02/04

Overall since we had all our infrastructure hosted in Azure for us it was very convenient to host our source code and our build and release pipelines in Azure DevOps and we had a good experience with them.

Pros

The best thing about Azure DevOps is that it is natively integrated and connected to all of your other Azure cloud resources and it makes it easy to manage and govern you infrastructure because they are all inside Azure. It has all kinds of templates for your various software platforms to enable you build and deploy your code from Azure hosted source control into Azure services for your customers.

Cons

Sometimes the build machines can be slow, you need to bring your own build machines and setting your own build machines can be complicated. The Git aspect of the Azure DevOps is also not as smooth as other competitions in the market like Github, but it is very extensible.

Samuel

How to succeed online

Reviewed on 2023/05/14

Pros

Ease to deployInexpensiveQualify is guaranteed

Cons

Limited development skills on azures development

Dan
Dan
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Getting better

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Pros

VSTS has been getting progressively better over the years and now boats a pretty impressive set of features including a best-in-breed bug/ticket tracking system, excellent source control support and very good CI build/release pipeline management. While some people still swear by the on-prem TFS for their teams (myself included), I am slowly getting swayed towards cloud-based VSTS

Cons

If you rely on VSTS for your code builds you may run into an issue where you are running out of free "build minutes" and will need to purchase more. You may also need to share build hosts with others using VSTS which is very, very annoying. These can also be expanded for a price.

Abhinav
Abhinav
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Visual Studio Team Service with a development mythology of DevOps.

Reviewed on 2018/11/17

Visual Studio Team Service is helping use to jump to the DevOps Development process methodology. The new vNEXT build is really a game changer as once the gated check-in is configure you can Do anything with the builds to play with the code according your need and requirement.

Pros

Visual Studio Team Service DevOps is the one of the best move of the Microsoft. Build & release process for continuous integration delivery that work all platform. Version Controlling is having the two option in GIT and TFSVC for managing the code. Tracking on work is also easy and as developer and manager can check their capacity and work backlogs. Custom reporting can also help you preparing charts. VSTS also Test for your code.

Cons

The least thing I like in it is not covering the monitoring the aspect under the name of DevOps. As a continues feedback is also very important with corresponding to the development. Build automation should simplify and for release management they should provide recommendation for the best practice to implementation.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Manage your tasks and create valuable dashboards with Azure ADO

Reviewed on 2022/06/17

We use Azure ADO for tracking our internal tasks and activities. Some teams, also use Azure Artifacts and Azure Pipelines for their CI/CD requirements. The platform has proven pretty solid in terms of performance and since it is backed by Microsoft, security is also taken care of!

Pros

1. Easy to use console: Azure ADO console is clean and very easy to use. It offers mutiple services like Azure Boards, Azure Artifacts and Azure Pipeline as well. All there features are pretty solid and packed with the required feature set. Integrations are also available to make sure the end user can use multiple tools at the same time.
2. Azure Boards: also offer Kanban style task tracking which is proven to be one of the best task management tool.

Cons

There are no major cons for Azure ADO. It offers all the required feature-set and integrations which is required by any large organisation. API access is also available in case anyone want's to access the services via CLI. We have not observed any lack or disadvantage for Azure ADO so far.

Emilio
Emilio

A solid choice for IT project management

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

I thinks its a very robust tool which, being integrated into Visual Studio, makes it great especially for devs. From my product manager viewpoint, I like that its easy to track versions and work items, making my work easier and ensuring I dont loose track of anything.

Pros

I think the best about VSTS is the ability to be able to comment on work items, naming people, so that they are notified of what comments you make. This makes it very agile to cooperate and collaborate with my team. Everyone knows what to do, there is traceability, and, for the first time, all the info we need to work is in a single place. Linking and ordering work items by hierarchy is also a great feature that I really like.

Cons

Its a bit hard to get used. There are a few features we are not even using because we do not full understand them. Kanban boards are not that intuitive and we end up using old lists usually. I also find it annoying that I cannot order by columns when looking at a sprint or backlog, I can only do that in queries.

One Stop Solution for all DevOps needs

Reviewed on 2022/09/14

All in all, I found Azure DevOps Services very useful. It has some of the great features which i have been using daily. It helps me to collaborate with colleagues, track working items, plan sprints, Source code management and Continuous integration/deployment of builds.

Pros

Azure DevOps Services offers various features, I'm using Pipelines(CI/CD), Artifacts, Boards and Repositories mostly. All of the features are very well developed and easy to use. Intensive documentation is offered by Microsoft to learn more about platform's features. Board helps me to track work items. Repositories helps to do peer programming and Pipelines helps to build automatically and deploy. It's integration with other tools like Sonarqube, Ansible and Jenkins are not that hard as well.

Cons

If some of the features comes with learning curve. Apart from that, Microsoft hosted agent pools has its own limitation they are not very useful if we have some special requirements for our project.

Ariel
Ariel
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Intuitive sprint organization and metrics, mediocre test planning options

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

Azure DevOps is an expansive software meant to help manage the full software development life cycle, and it support an agile development environment, from planning to estimating to tracking work, testing and repositories. It accomplishes most of these goals pretty well.

Pros

I find the sprint planning features, dashboard and sprint boards intuitive and convenient. I like being able to organize my tickets and easily see the work of other members of my team.

Cons

I am not a huge fan of the test planning aspect of the program. I find creating test cases to be clunky, even when using the "grid" functionality that allows you to import test cases from a spreadsheet. One example is that when creating a test case using the "grid" feature, if you had multiple line breaks within a single cell in a spreadsheet, it will copy each line break into a separate cell in the grid instead of copying them into a single cell with line breaks as they appeared in the spreadsheet.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Good service - covers everything from task management to VCS and release management

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

Good overall. I'd recommend this if you're in a corporate environment and already use other Microsoft products - this will feel very familiar. Also, if you don't want to combine multiple services and just want to pay for one thing and get everything you might need.

Pros

It's a one-stop shop for everything you need in an R&D group - includes everything, with integration between the different features of the product.

Cons

It doesn't have the best integrations around (especially vs. GitHub for example), and also the task management system feels clunky at times - more old fashioned than alternatives like Monday.com or Asana, which makes it annoying to check up on my work daily as an IC.

Navjot
Navjot
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Highly effective service for maintaining code repository, build & release activity

Reviewed on 2022/02/05

It becomes very easy to track and monitor all the project level activities from one platform. Ensures the code quality and continuous integration very effective.

Pros

It is very easy to configure the CI-CD pipelines to make the release build pipelines. Maintaining the efficient code repositories to ease the code management activities. It ensures the different boards for maintaining the different boards across the organization.

Cons

Some of the best services like Time Tracking and Event based triggers are still not included in this product as we need to import it as extensions.

Elexciss
  • Industry: Cosmetics
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Organization and Visibility

Reviewed on 2022/02/19

This has helped our business get organized on the multiple projects we are engaged in simultaneously. We had tried a few other systems but this is by far the best.

Pros

I think the best thing about ADO, at least for me and my needs is visibility. It's very easy to see where a ticket is in its cycle and easy to follow up on things as needed. Other coworkers can check the status of their items which removes the need for constant email check ups.

Cons

I'm sure this feature can be turned off (or I could filter my inbox) but I receive a lot of emails about updates on tickets but some of them are unnecessary. I don't need an email to let me know someone liked or thumbed up my comment.

• Industry: Information Services

Best suite for Azure shop

Reviewed on 2021/07/27

My experience with Azure DevOps is great. Fits like a glove - if you are into Azure. We tried to integrate non-Azure stuff (mostly Open Source that are in no relation with Azure), we had to apply workarounds

Pros

If your organization uses Azure Cloud and other Azure products, this is the right DevOps service for you. Seamless integration and well knit into the stack. Ability wise you can integrate other products too - but needs decent effort.

Cons

If your organization is not an Azure shop and you use may be one or 2 products, this is an overkill. You have better equivalent choices in market to pick.

Paul
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Lost access to everything, have no idea why as I haven't changed anything

Reviewed on 2022/05/06

Lost access to all my code, which used to work as a serviceable Git repository and now doesn't.

Pros

It was an easy way to use Git. I thought that Microsoft was good, but I should have known better.

Cons

Losing access suddenly to all my code is bad.

Philip

A reliable devops tool for our development team

Reviewed on 2023/02/13

overall this is a grate SAAS for DevOps, our development team relies on it in day-to-day operations.

Pros

The CI\CD process is straightforward, easy to use and setup.

Cons

the project management function is not as good as other competitors, so our team did not move our project management part into it.

Matthew
Matthew

Slow at times

Reviewed on 2021/10/17

I am currently operating as a technical team lead with a very distributed team across the US and latin America. This really is a brilliant tool for centralizing the operations of a technology company.

Pros

I do like how integrated all the Microsoft services are. Allows for a seamless experience between project management and actual development services.

Cons

I dislike the slow responses and page loads - I am almost sure that a number of the screens could be preloaded to make it faster and more responsive

• Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Feature Rich

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

VSTS provides everything our team needs to manage our work, code, continuous integration, and deployment. In the past, i would have 1 or 2 people dedicated to building and maintaining the tools the VSTS provides.

Cons

I wish there was better integration with non microsoft tools like Slack.

Todd

VSTS is becoming a full fledged management tool

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

Pros

The think I like the most about this is how everything is integrated. The code that is checked in is tied to the peer review and the feature it is for, which can be tied to the build it was in, which can be tied to the release that went out. This allows all work to be tracked along the entire software development life cycle.

Cons

The thing that is still lacking are project management tools. However this is something that is continually being worked on and the feature set that exists now is much more robust than what it was a year ago. I expect this to quickly catch up to some of the other tools out there.

Good for small teams, just not across an organization

Reviewed on 2020/12/08

We initially had used Azue DevOps in lieu of Trello. However, once we wanted to roll out agile methodologies across our whole team, we found it difficult to scale across to other teams.

Pros

We loved the integration with other Microsoft products such as Microsoft teams. We also found the UI to be snappy and easy to use.

Cons

The price and team collaboration tools. In contrast to Trello, we found that there was a larger learning curve involved in getting to learn the software.

Siyamamkela
Siyamamkela

Azure DevOps is an amazing service for agile teams

Reviewed on 2021/11/28

Azure DevOps can show you how your team is progressing on the tasks that are on the board, by providing your a project burndown

Pros

You can set up an organization and levels of privilege.

Cons

Release pipelines tend to take too long to finish.