Dragon Professional Individual Reviews

Dragon Professional Individual

On-premise speech recognition software for professionals

ayse
ayse
  • Industry: Translation & Localization
  • Used for 2+ years

facility

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

Since I sometimes use CAT, I use it less, but it's so much fun to just dictate. You dictate, the job is done, just little checks of connections here and there.

Pros

it's really an indispensable tool. How quickly I gained by simply dictating what needed to be typed. Translating takes time already, but typing takes time too. It's a big help to have to use this software.

Cons

it's true it's an expensive purchase. It is true that it is profitable afterwards, but the cost is substantial. It's not something that everyone can afford.

• Industry: Higher Education

Enormous time saver with an fairly easy learning curve.

Reviewed on 2017/10/24

Pros

I am neither a fast nor accurate typist and this software lets me dictate all my documents, saving me hours of time. I can create or edit all types of documents and forms as well as dictate on line with email or Web forms. The commands are simple to learn and it didn't take long to get up to speed, especially since I used to dictate in my prior legal position. The program is powerful and seldom makes a mistake and I speak quickly. It has been a life-saver, freeing me from the keyboard. Invest in a good headset mic to increase accuracy and make the most out of this software.

Cons

It does take a good chunk of memory/computing power to run and though my system exceeds the recommended minimums, it does slow things down when Dragon is running. It also frequently freezes if I have multiple windows open or programs running when Dragon is in use. This doesn't stop me from using the program, as it is an infrastructure issue, but it's worth mentioning as a heads up. I might just have to get more RAM to solve this problem. I also would love to see a less-cumbersome way to change capitalization or edit grammar with verbal commands but I am still getting used to that side of the program. ;-)

gary
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Used to be great!

Reviewed on 2021/03/11

As per the title - this software used to be great, even excellent! Later versions are poor in comparison and I am now looking to switch to another product most definitely. I did think I would ever switch from Dragon!

Pros

Difficult to say – used to be a great piece of software now it isjust a continual disruption…

Cons

It basically just keeps failing – it is not consistent in terms of its operation and use. For example, this morning, I trained a couple of words i.e. acronyms that I use on a regular basis. This spelling was accepted and I applied it a couple of times. Only an hour later, the words are not recognised. I try to re-iinput the same word and same spelling again, but it reverts to a normal spelling. Also regularly now, words appear with extra letters in them – as per the example here with input, it is not that I cannot spell input it is just that this is how Dragon spells it… Have had various problems recently and every time the aim of customer service is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible – to be quite frank this business has lost the plot.

Dustin
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

The only full service voice dictation software.

Reviewed on 2018/06/12

Very cheap and effective Medical dictation software.

Very cheap and effective Medical dictation software.

Pros

First of all this is really all about the Medical edition of the software. I support 50 doctors who use this software on a daily basis. I have users who speak at barely a whisper and then I have doctors who will speak so loudly and fast to dictate you would think they are having a shouting match with someone. It can be trained to pick up speech patterns and accents. It's a very accurate piece of software and each version keeps getting better. The dedicated support team we have access to with Dragon is top notch as well. On average they respond to my odd ball problems within an hour and have some potential fixes.

Cons

There are times when Dragon will start lagging and not properly dictate, this is annoying but it can be fixed. Since we use Citrix in our environment we have to occasionally run a program to restore vSync and after doing so Dragon is back to picking everything up.

Works like a charm

Reviewed on 2018/12/01

If you are in language transcription business or medical transcription business or just have a lot of tying to do, don’t give it a second thought and just buy this. It’s incredible at what it does with Speed and Accuracy. It could really save you a lot of time but it takes a while to get to know the commands and get your voice recognised in all scenarios. Overall a great product 👍🏻

Pros

1) Accuracy is one of the best things about it.
2) Speed is another aspect that it scores highly. I talk really fast, but it still manages to write down almost all of it.
3) Command Set is pretty easy to understand and get used to.
4)Huge Time saver - If you are into Transcription business like me, it’s a dream come true. You can get so much done in such little time and ofcourse earn more 🙂

Cons

1) RAM consumption is a lot with this software. You can’t really multitask if it’s open.
2) Sometimes it starts to lag behind in the writing process, but that rarely happens.
3) Comprehensive inbuilt Grammar check is missing which would really take this software to a new level.

Katalin
Katalin
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Good concept, only fair execution

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Extensive Laboratory use

Extensive Laboratory use

Pros

We have been using Dragon for years - while the concept is excellent, the execution is only fair. Easy to use, easy to set up, very nice "canned comments" and functionality to use.

Cons

Errors are frequent enough to cause concern - going into, then back out of records for recording and re-recording can be problematic. Incorrect translations are frequent enough to cause concerns - translation of words like "thymus" into "time us" is not acceptable. The company does appear to come out with real-time improvements and efforts to correct, however, the errors that make it through are concerning.

carolyn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great!!

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

As someone who crafts as a job, my hands are often busy, or covered in glue or paint or stain. I often have emails to write, or reply to for customers asking questions about sizes, and colors and the like. Its not always easy to stay on top of emails!! Dragon has saved me!! I don't have to put down my pliers, or my paint brushes, or whatever is in my hands to answer a customer question! I have a New England accent, which my phone hates, but Dragon gets just about every word I say! Very rarely does it make a mistake, and I am super grateful for that. Great product, highly recommend.

Cons

No cons in my book, this has saved me so much time and hassle.

Paul
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Works great in most programs. Doesn't work in Electronic Medical Record unless you pay for...

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Speeds up my charting. Easy to use.

Speeds up my charting. Easy to use.

Pros

Professional version is easy to use. Minimal teaching needed. Still misspells some words, not sure why. Works in word and libreoffice but not in EMR software that is web-based. Can still cut and paste into it but it's an extra step.

Rune
Rune
  • Used for 2+ years

Dragon Speech Recognition , fail

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

Tried it. Never really found it to be other than a pain in the apple. I am thinking it COULD be beneficial for someone that writes EVERY DAY and ONLY does that. But for us mortals, I think this tech is, not up to par.

Pros

I like the IDEA that it COULD be faster to talk into the mic like if I was to write a book, that is why I got it.

Cons

The thing here is that every sentence needs to be addressed, like, "end sentence". And "Capital L". "Underscore". You have to talk more to the software than I like and I am not fond of it.

Tohibullah
Tohibullah
  • Industry: Information Services

Best speech recognition software but the technology still has a long way to go

Reviewed on 2018/09/09

Pros

Using this for our transcription needs and very much satisfied. There is an advantage using this software over others as they are the market leader in the speech recognition space and truly discern speech better than all other alternatives to date as per my experience.

Cons

The technology still has a long way to go before making it efficient for someone with not English as mother tongue and not fluent in English make use of this software.

Works with amazing accuracy. Without doubt, the best voice recognition software available.

Reviewed on 2017/12/09

Pros

Its accuracy and ability to execute commands as well as record text. Multiple languages. Adapts by building a profile of the user over time. I bought Dragon NS in 2016, version 13 Premium and was surprised at how good voice recognition has become in recent years. I am a technical translator, French to English, and knew that DNS was fully supported by my computer aided translation software (MemoQ). Even though I am a fast typist, DNS allowed me to double my work output for many translations. I was also surprised by the ease of handling columns and tables of numbers and unusual words with Dragon. In fact, it is easier to say them than to type them. Like many keyboarders, I am OK with the the common keys and punctuation but need to look when doing special punctuation and numbers. Dragon is especially helpful with text containing a lot of the latter. In addition, Dragon knows how to spell!

I bought the French edition of DNS (v.13, Premium) because I knew that I could configure two separate user profiles for myself: one for dictation in English and another for French. That has worked out perfectly. This dual-language capability is not available for all language combinations, however.

Cons

The software itself is quite perfected. There is a challenging learning curve and one must learn many voice commands in order to edit using voice. On the other hand, the keyboard is still operative and it is quite feasible to mix voice and keyboard work. My most serious complaint is not about Nuance's DNS, but about some programs by others that do not support it well. For example, I use MS Office 365 and DNS works well with Word and Excel, but not with OneNote (however, it does work well with Evernote). It is not supported well by some online translation platforms like Memsource, which some of my clients require me to use. So if you plan on using it with specialized applications or platforms, you will need to verify that DNS is supported.

Kelsea

Making Connection Easier for Those with Disabilities

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

Our clients can stay connected which adds to their mental well being. This is important to the caregivers at West Coast Independent Living. The more independence these folks feel, the more empowered they are.

Pros

I researched and purchased this software for the folks in our independent living facility. People here are physically disabled but mentally sound- and usually are new to living with a disability due to illness,an accident etc. This speech recognition software allows our clients to stay connected through the internet just as they had before. Emails, internet searching and using application such as Microsoft Word are accessible to them once more.

Cons

The icon at the bottom which we keep "pinned" to the banner for clients ease of use, can sometimes be too close to other icons. When you do *not* wish to use the software, if you inadvertently press the icon it can take a while to wait for the software to load etc to be able to close it down. For people who cannot use their hands, it can be hard to close all of the windows when not in use. As this software likely is used by those with physical impairments, it is just something to note.

Joshua
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Best Speech Recognition, Hands Down. Literally.

Reviewed on 2020/04/08

Overall this software is the best of its kind. It may not come with my personal vocabulary completely represented, but it can learn what it doesn't already know and I don't have to argue with it over whether I said *Rub a conservative amount of ointment on the entire area." or "Rubber serving plenary arias." (Actual real life mistake from a leading competitor's speech recognition software we have all had the displeasure of dealing with when sending messages in the car). It's the first thing I install on any new device I purchase.

Pros

It's accurate and doesn't force you to repeat the same sentence at it so many times you catch yourself screaming at an inanimate object in front of a busy lobby full of clients.

Cons

I would like to see a larger dictionary from initial setup and a more intuitive punctuation algorithm.

Patrick

Useful Speech recognition tool

Reviewed on 2022/09/13

I have used Dragon since it was called "Naturally Speaking" and have gotten use to the intricacies and nuances of the application. I often get lost in my thoughts when using a keyboard Dragon allows me to just simply talk and get my thoughts onto paper.

Pros

Dragon has the ability to convert your spoken words into written words. It is fairly good at picking out words that are clearly spoken and is quite customizable when it comes to nonstandard words.

Cons

It can be difficult to set this application up and you need to be patient while going through the learning process. However, that being said once you go through the tutorials Dragon works quite satisfactorily.

• Industry: Judiciary

Dragon Nuance Review

Reviewed on 2022/04/19

As a voice writer, I use Dragon Naturally Speaking together with another program daily. I transcribe all court records using this software and it has become quick and easy.

Pros

I have been using Dragon for the past two years. It has helped me to become more productive at work. With the Dragon software, I transcribe more audio hours per week compared to typing on a qwerty keyboard.

Cons

As someone with a Caribbean accent, I had to train the Dragon software to recognise my pronunciation of many words. Training the software took a little time; however, it was worth it. Dragon now recognises my pronunciation perfectly, and this has resulted in greater accuracy.

Excellent dictation software for medical office use!

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

No need for transcriptionist as Dragon is more efficient, and can keep up with fast talkers like myself.

Pros

I love that the more Dragon is used, the better it recognizes words and voices. I use Dragon in clinic when dictating notes, and the program transcribes flawlessly. The program seems to remember previous notes and is able to spell things like medication names and medical conditions with no problems at all. Can add multiple users all with unique voice profiles.

Cons

Slows down the computer, especially when needing to switch from Word to EMR. Seems that in order to use this software, you would need quite a bit of memory to support it.

Meghan

Top of the line dictation software

Reviewed on 2019/01/13

I haven't found anything to top DNS for what it does. I wish the company behind it was more interested in product support than pushing out paid upgrades that aren't ready yet.

Pros

It's the best on the market. If you put the time into it, you can get excellent results. It can be lifesaver for your hands and wrists if you type a lot.

Cons

It's clunky and is prone to glitches and issues. When it's working it's great. When it's not, it can be a pain. Instead of fixing issues and issuing a patches, the company is more concerned with frequent paid upgrades without fixing the problems in the version you already paid for.

Jenn

Good product

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

Overall, once tailored to my voice found this very easy and pretty accurate. As noted above, I actually looked this better when I used EPIC and found it more user friendly and efficient. Still use it now, but mostly for A/P.

Pros

Once set up for the user, is easy to use and definitely helps facilitate charting/notes to be done quickly. Have seen other providers used this in the patient room though I prefer the use it once the visit is complete.

Cons

This software is easier to use in different EHRs - I actually found it better suited when I had EPIC as opposed the allscripts.

Harlan
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Dictation made easy and inexpensive

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

Having to use this software on a daily basis , it becomes clear that not only do you become proficient in its use, but you actually save money on dictation costs!

Pros

The reputation of the company is what sold our practice in using Dragon speech recognition. WE actually use one of the more expensive versions which is Dragon Naturally speaking with the medical dictionary plugin.

Cons

The most time consuming part of using this software is the training of it to get used to your voice. It is well worth the investment in time

• Industry: Entertainment

would love it to work well

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Pros

when it works, it is pretty good - while it never makes a typo, it often puts in nonsensical words

Cons

I have been trying to use it for years and keep on buying upgrades in the hope that it will function well. I upgraded my PC largely to allow Dragon to run efficiently (32 gigs of RAM, high end processor, high end graphics)- alas to no avail. Even after an update that supposedly corrected bad behavior with Word (Office 365), it still crashes Word and sometimes my computer. It gives me odd errors, like a plug-in is not enabled, but Word tells me it is. Outlook tries to disable the plug-in. And don't ever let customer support into your computer - I did once and all they tried to do was use notepad to try and sell me a new version at a price much higher than was available on-line (I upgraded on my own)

Katie
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great for dictating reports and notes!

Reviewed on 2021/03/06

Dragon speech has helped me for quite some time to efficiently and effectively dictate my notes and reports. I find it more efficient than typing because I can focus on the content rather than typing.

Pros

I love that Dragon Speech Recognition is easy to use and makes writing notes and reports very convenient and efficient.

Cons

Sometimes the software has difficulty picking up on nuances in my dictation, such as small words like "in" versus "on."

Rick

Issues with Microsoft products

Reviewed on 2020/02/20

I rate it an overall 4 out of 10. I use Microsoft and there are issues.

I rate it an overall 4 out of 10. I use Microsoft and there are issues.

Pros

It is user-friendly and easy to install and It works on multiple devices.

Cons

It's not very compatible with Microsoft.

A time saver

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Pros

The voice dictation is amazing. We use this product mostly for our customer service staff. To be able to use the same microphone to answer a call, then to write an email response or a chat response saves them so much time. It doesn't matter how quick the speech, Dragon is able to keep up and make very minimal errors in the dictation.

Cons

There is occasional lag, but nothing too bad. This might be be due to how the program is written, it seems to take a up a lot of memory on the computer while it is running. \

Ruth
  • Industry: Law Practice

Excellent software that speeds your workflow

Reviewed on 2022/08/25

Pros

This software enables me to run my business efficiently and quickly. The dictation is highly accurate. Editing is easy. I have used this software for decades and it has developed into a useful and necessary tool.

Cons

Navigation could be improved. It can be difficult to navigate around certain webpages.

Michael
Michael

perfect for voice typing

Reviewed on 2019/02/24

I have nerve issues in my hands and arms, and so typing is not possible, and I was very worried it would make me unable to do my job. Dragon let me to regain that part of me that I lost, allow me to voice type (and format by voice), and so I've been able to continue doing my same job.

Pros

It's pretty straightforward to use, offers good tutorials if you need it, and learns from your voice and your speech patterns. I mostly use it for dictation and voice typing.

Cons

Controlling the mouse by voice is difficult, and especially difficult on two monitors (which is my set up at work). Some applications don't allow direct dictation, or you can't correct things once you dictated them, which is annoying but possible to work around.