Harvest

Write a Review!
Online time tracking, invoicing & project reporting

4.2/5

Anissa
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Harvest is Amazing!

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Harvest makes my business EASY. I do love being able to set limits on projects and getting emails when those limits are near.

Pros

I really enjoy using harvest because I do have a team of subcontractors who I need to keep reports of their time. Harvest makes it easy to report time used and set limits on projects.

Cons

I would love it if I could set up monthly recurring projects by date and not just month to month. Sometimes I have a retainer client that starts in the middle of the month and the monthly recurring feature resets at the end of the month, not when it's been 30 days.

Kurt

Harvest is a Perfect Solution for Time Tracking and Billing

Reviewed on 2022/06/22

Everyone in the agency from me, the owner, to all of our team members love using Harvest. It's so easy to use, between the desktop version to the mobile app. It's been a lifesaver to make keeping track of time and budgets for our marketing agency.

Pros

I started my marketing agency in 1999. I used manual, paper solutions for time tracking for the first few years. After much research we found Workamajig in 2004 to switch to an online solution. It served its purpose for many years but everyone struggled with it and found it not user friendly at all. After many attempts we found Harvest in 2018. I played with it for a few days at the end of a month then ripped the bandaid and switched to it on the 1st of a month. It was SO user-friendly everyone loved it out the gate and we have never looked back. It's so great for time tracking and quick insight into projects and budget status at the client, project and task level. I love it!

Cons

It's very hard to complain about Harvest. I really love it. I do wish it had the ability to set budgets for staff by clients/projects so we can see how booked up our team is and better manage their time allocation. There is a second-party project Harvest syncs with to try to do this, but it does not work the way we needed it to so we dropped it after a brief trial.

Karyn

Tracks Time, Dimishes Trust with Employees

Reviewed on 2021/06/11

I personally did not solve any business problems using Harvest, nor did I see any benefit to me as an employee. The only benefit I could see to the employer was being able to play Big Brother by using Harvest to monitor every second of my day. This software contributes to a corporate culture of distrust.

Pros

The only thing good I can say that I like about Harvest is that it is pretty easy to use. You simply search the client or project name, indicate whether it is a billable or non-billable task and then set the timer. There is also a space to elaborate on the specific details of the task being done.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that the tracking is too granular. Employees that are subject to using it feel like Big Brother is watching and that the employer doesn't trust them. It also doesn't allow for any explanation of extenuating circumstances. For example, if an employee is tracking within Harvest and is expected to track in real time, there is no way to explain a computer glitch or if a system crashes in the middle of a task and the employee has to re-do the task from the beginning. In addition, if you are a billable employee, you are literally tethered to your computer all day, as you must "Harvest" every minute of your day if the employer wants an accurate read of activity. It is tedious and demeaning.

Will
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Timetracking and Invoicing Made Easy

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

In general, I have been very happy with this product. When we originally were researching time tracking and invoicing software this one rose to the surface and it has remained one of the leaders in this space. Having said that, it's not cheap, particularly if you need multiple people on it, so there are definitely options out there that cost less and or are free if that is what you are looking for. It does also provide some integration with Quickbooks that others likely don't have.

Pros

Working in a creative field, I am a person who detests tracking time and invoicing. It takes me out of flow and into a space that doesn't really foster creative ideas or spark the imagination. Harvest makes the process about as painless as possible (let's be real, tracking time will never be entirely painless) and frees me up to focus on what I do and how I best deliver value to my clients and team. For clients that prefer to pay by credit card, it allows you to deliver the invoice via a web portal with the ability to pay via PayPal with your cc.

Cons

I still feel that the project setup scenarios could be simplified and / or streamlined. I've used Harvest for over 10 years and they have consistently added features and addressed certain gray areas that the software couldn't really account for, but I do think that if they were rebuilding the platform knowing what they know now, they would make it even more straightforward and simple from that standpoint.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

Harvest was simply the best and cleanest designed and most intuitive and user friendly of all of the options that we researched with all the necessary features but not a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that would be meaningless to most individuals.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Harvest is a Freelancer's more affordable time-tracking and invoicing option

Reviewed on 2022/08/26

Harvest has been a game changer for me. When I started my business I was easily able to track hours, expenses, and bill clients without paying outrageous fees for software that had more than I actually needed (and was challenging to learn).

Pros

The best part about this software--the price. There is a free option for new freelancers, and for my first year, I strictly used that. Even the free version is highly robust. However, I quickly realized I needed something a bit more custom, and I've upgraded to the paid version, but even that is very reasonable.

Cons

I don't really like that you can't send contracts. I feel like if the program includes estimates, it should also have a contract-sending option. I understand it integrates with other contract platforms, but those were so very expensive-—or just didn't appeal to me.

PayPal Invoicing , Wave and Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

It was affordable and easy to use, and I never heard any customer complaints! It met all my needs.
Mathew

The gold standard for timekeeping

Reviewed on 2020/04/21

We've used harvest in the past and moved away to other products in the name of trying to fine one software suite that does it all: timekeeping, project management, chat, resource management, etc. Inevitably, we end up coming back to Harvest (alongside basecamp and slack) because it keeps things simple and does its job extremely well.

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use. Intuitive interface design that's obviously been user tested and refined. Every button and feature is exactly where you'd expect it to be.

Cons

This software does one thing really well – timekeeping. We've tried using solutions that try to do more and have gone back to Harvest because there's nothing we don't like about it.

Big feature list for time & project tracking but pricey

Reviewed on 2022/05/05

Harvest does everything we need and is easy to use. However there's definitely features we don't need or use that we're paying extra for.

Pros

Lots of great features and the UI makes Harvest nice to use. It's easy to pull time reports for specific resources and projects.

Cons

It's definitely expensive. We are exploring other, more cost-effective solutions in what is now a crowded marketplace.

BambooHR and Clockify

Clockify

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

It's easy to use and the time tracking and reporting fits our use case very well.
Jason
Jason
  • Industry: Design

Great for a small creative business.

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

We've been using harvest for years, and when we were just doing small side projects here and there it met our needs perfectly. Now that our business has grown we need a more powerful tool that integrates bookkeeping and vendor management, in addition to time tracking, billing, and invoicing.

Pros

We love Harvest and its features. From time tracking to billing and invoicing Harvest has helped us grow our business and keep on top of the projects we are working on.

Cons

There are other similar products on the market that offer the ability to send contracts and proposals, as well as products for bookkeeping that integrate many of the same features for not much more in total cost.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Harvest

At the time, pricing was the deciding factor.
Brent
Brent

Does one thing well - simplicity

Reviewed on 2022/05/10

Meh - wish we didn't need to use it, would prefer the timetracking to happen in our project management software (teamwork) - but that doesn't support timesheets & has very poor high-level visibility reporting.

Pros

Timesheets workflow, high-level time spent/remaining visibility

Cons

Doesn't support sub-tasks, loosely integrated with our project management software (Teamwork)

Louis
Louis
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Happy to discover Harvest (strange name)

Reviewed on 2022/03/19

This was a trouble free 30-day trial. I didn’t hesitate to subscribe for a year.

Pros

For my new consulting company, this provides exactly what I need. Totally intuitive startup. Customer, contact, projects, and functions concepts allow good segmentation. Robust, no glitches. Great looking invoice template. Good integration with QuickBooks.

Cons

I have not yet found major irritants .

Laura
  • Industry: Media Production

Wanting for More Features

Reviewed on 2021/06/29

Overall, Harvest does what it needs to do for our company - provide a place to track time worked, on an array of different projects, and report that time worked to upper management. But I think Harvest could certainly add some features to their interface that would increase user productivity, and help guide employees through their work weeks, with an eye on time management.

Pros

Harvest certainly offers a very user-friendly interface. When you log on, it's immediately apparent how to use the software for the basic need of time tracking. The interface is set up to reflect the current week, with the days of the week displayed left to right, and the time you've tracked for each day displayed below it. Each day is broken up into time tracked according to a specific project. If using Harvest in the way our company does, you can create project codes to reflect different projects, so you'll be able to track how long you or your employees are spending on individual projects, or even separate types of tasks within that project.

Cons

I do wish there was a a sort of "Week So Far" tracker feature, that appeared as its own tab in the top menu bar, or perhaps was totaled at the bottom of the screen on the current day's time sheet. At the moment, if you'd like to see the hours you've spent on different projects summed up so far in a given week, you would have to either click into each day, and add up the hour totals yourself, or you go to the "Reports" tab, then click on "Team," then click on your own name under that, where then you would be able to see the total number of hours you've spent on different projects that week. This seems like a simple feature that should be more accessible, or at least more clear to navigate to.

Alex
Alex

A Great, Lightweight App Which Does What We Need It To

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

Overall a very positive experience; the software is very simple to use and does what we need it to (allows us to invoice, view income reports and send client reminders on payments, as well as allow them to pay via card online, from anywhere in the world and for the funds to be filtered into our business bank account. Some limitations persist and I wish the company would listen to the community on such items as the lack of statements facility. However, they do offer a large number of external software integrations for proposals, contracts etc. which beefs out the utility and functionality of the software.

Pros

Harvest is a super-simple app which manages all our client payments and invoicing/reminders for our clients and integrates with Stripe for a seamless payment process. We use it every day and can bill clients in $ or other currencies easily, and provide them downloadable pdf's, payment portals and other functionality (using external app integrations) with ease.

Cons

The in-built feature set is quite limited. To get integration with contract software, proposal software etc. you need further subscriptions with other companies. It would be ideal if it was all built-in. Also, it's missing a huge feature which should be standard on all invoicing apps - The ability to send automated client statements. At any time we may have 5-20 invoices outstanding for some client accounts and, even after 4 years using Harvest we have to manually send links and individual invoice reminders. It's by far the biggest downside of the software and is a big limitation.

Muhammad Adil
Muhammad Adil
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Harvest

Reviewed on 2021/07/04

One of the best tool to track my time on any task or project. The biggest feature is you can track it from your laptop, desktop or mobile, Very easy to manage and dashboard is well layered for easy access the different features. Invoicing is a very powerful feature you can always track and engage with your customer.

Pros

Reporting is a big asset especially virtually. you can easily assign task to individual developer or to the whole team. Track them what is going on and allocate and manage the budget. It is intelligent enough to suggest what part of your project is infected or going strong and you can make your decision accordingly.

Cons

Not very easy to work on it initially but once you are familiar with it then it is going along very nicely. There is need of improvement in there mobile app and also costing is bit tricky as rate change is not very helpful. Moreover for user or developer it is hard to catch his time sheet as summary is not very helpful.

PJ

Best Time-Tracker Out There

Reviewed on 2020/05/01

Overall, I am greatly satisfied with Harvest. It gets the task done and is also helpful in making the team more efficient. Tracking our time was effortless.

Pros

Harvest is straightforward and easy to use. First-time users find it easy to learn navigating the platform. It can also be seamlessly integrated to project management programs such as ClickUp. It also has a built-in Invoicing feature for bout hours and expenses. Another awesome feature is being able to set budgets for every project, so you can have a quick overview of how much you have spent and can still spend on a project.

Cons

What I liked the least about Harvest is that once a person or a project has logged hours, the only option you have is to archive them, and not delete them. It seems to just clutter the workspace. One improvement that can be done is having a prompt whenever the tracker has been on for more than 5 hours, just to check if the timer has been left on, because sometimes we still forget to turn off the tracker.

Time Doctor

Great Tool for Tracking Time & Resources

Reviewed on 2022/05/11

Positive - they were a great solution for a company at our size at the time.

Positive - they were a great solution for a company at our size at the time.

Pros

We used Harvest at our company for multiple years - it provides a great option for the team to track time across multiple projects and ensure project management and billing have hours for billable reference. It's cost is accessible to many organizations and the functionality works as expected.

Cons

Their native reporting didn't meet our needs so it required us to pipe this data into our data warehouse to then create our own visualizations, insights, dashboards, BI systems, etc. We began to outgrow Harvest due to additional needs outside of Harvest's core offering. Our financials were also in a different system which didn't allow us to utilize the billing features to their full potential

monday.com and Asana

Cost
Leah
Leah

Harvest is great for time tracking and billing within small/mid-size companies

Reviewed on 2018/12/03

I've used Harvest as an employee to track my time. Additionally, I have done data analysis on exported information from the platform to predict time requirements and resource allocation across a mid-sized workplace.

Pros

Harvest is an ideal time tracking and billing platform for small- to mid-size companies. Individuals track their time in the desired increments, and then can sub-track their time to particular projects or disciplines. For instance, if tracking time for Client A, time can be segmented into "Client A > Project Review," "Client A > Web Development," "Client A > Business Development," etc. It can flex to accommodate multiple professional disciplines, and provides tallies / time breakouts for each user. On the backend, fairly rich data can be gathered from the platform to analyze time distribution and analysis.

Cons

It requires time to setup and administrate multiple users, especially if it's one person doing this job. Additionally, to do it well, it requires a thoughtful plan to provide the necessary taxonomy of clients / projects / billing to be used across the organization. It is not as robust as other big, enterprise-caliber time tracking platforms (like Salesforce), but for an organization <50 users, it's a great solution.

Haja
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Elegant, Clean and Valuable Time Tracking App - A Staple Product

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

This is a very clean, simple appearing, a non-intrusive app which is actually a very solid and powerful platform. It has the potential to be an indispensable part of modern project-based businesses.

Well, the answer is, this basic time tracking app solves several problems all at once. First of all, Harvest is available on all your devices and computers so, whenever you need to track time...voila there it is. It is super easy to set up and use, zero learning curve needed. It's nicely organized by client, so each project gets placed where it belongs. It has idle time detection to prevent inaccuracies. There are several options for arranging your time-based fees and you can even include your billable expenses. The information is not trapped in Harvest platform so you can import and export clients, invoices and other info to your other systems easily.

You can easily send email invoices directly from your time-keeping records and accept payments online with integrations. In addition to budgeting time, you can also track expenses for each project in order to stay on track, both financially and time management-wise. This software plus Forecast gives you the potential to be increasingly accurate with time estimates for your clients.

Once you take into account all of the software integrations and the API, you really have a valuable central point to manage your business. It helps that this software was developed by a team that had to solve these problems themselves. The company also seems to have good stewardship of the business in social justice and community arenas. I have not yet used the mobile app or API but I am definitely a fan of Harvest!

Pros

-Intuitive user interface
-Cute motivational quotes and illustrations
-Great native desktop experience on the Mac
-Wonderful integrations with other software, including Harvest's Forecast, Xero accounting and Stripe
-A multi-functional API and mobile apps (IOS and Android)!

Cons

- No automated sales tax - or integration with automated sales tax providers (Avalara, Tax Jar, etc.) on invoices
-Team pricing could be better and also would be great if there were a tier between free - two projects and unlimited projects.
-No offline functionality on the desktop

Christopher
Christopher

Time tracking from anywhere

Reviewed on 2023/09/11

Allows us to be efficient and profitable without hours of admin.

Allows us to be efficient and profitable without hours of admin.

Pros

The multiple devices and ways to launch the tracker make it fit within our workflow, from phone, tablet, browser, or our PM software, time tracking is easy.

Cons

Takes a little time to set up and use efficiently but once you start people getting used to the system it has a good learning curve.

Steve
Steve
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Excellent at what it does, but pricey

Reviewed on 2022/01/01

Overall it's the simplest solution for straight forward time tracking. There are tons of competitors that do similar things, but Harvest was one of the originals in the SaaS space and provides excellent execution and stability.

Pros

I learned about Harvest through the integration with Asana. Although my team doesn't use it for billable time, we do track hours for projects so that we can understand what portions of our product pipeline are consuming the most time, so we're utilizing just one small portion of the overall functionality, which includes different clients, rates, and other features consultants or freelancers would need. That said, what I like the most is the slick integration with Asana right in the app, and the clean clear reporting in the Harvest tool itself. We don't tend to use the mobile app our our usage, but it seems quite good as well.

Cons

The biggest drawback about Harvest is the price for what you get. For a product that does basically one thing, it costs about as much as the Google office suite. The hardest part is that they added a new forecasting tool as a separate product and then that costs an additional monthly fee per user, so instead of extending the capabilities of Harvest itself and giving you more value for your money, they froze the Harvest feature and decided to charge more (fortunately it's an opt-in instead of just raising the prices for all).

Dennis

The best time tracking software out there

Reviewed on 2017/11/23

With Harvest we track more hours than we did with other software. It takes the hassle out of the process. Nobody likes to track his of her hours in complicated and time consuming ways and Harvest solves that problem!

Pros

It does what it does and it does it best! Time tracking on projects has never been so easy for our organisation. We have used multiple time trackers, but were never pleased with the wat we neede to register the hours we make for our clients. The mac, windows and iOS/Android apps work great. New projects are available instantly and starting / pausing the time tracker is wonderfully done. Managing the projects, budgets and tasks is really easy and if you like, you can integrate it with Harvest Forecast and plan your team ahead.

Cons

Harvest lacks decent support of monthly retainer 'projects'. It's not a show stopper for us, but it makes us do manual checks of the hours we make for our clients. I would love Harvest Forecast to be part of Harvest by default instead of the invoicing functionalities, since we use other software for that.

Reka

Good all in one time tracker

Reviewed on 2023/02/13

Overall it is a really good software, would highly recommend for businesses small or large.

Pros

I like how employees can track time based off of categories, so it is clear during week-end review where all their time has been allocated. Categories can be broken down by department and project, so billable hours are also clear. Time sheets and project-based hours can easily be exported which makes payroll very seamless. I also like the expense tracker feature as well.

Cons

It is a bit tricky to get used to at first, employees also agree that navigating Harvest as a new user can be a bit overwhelming. I wish there were also more integrations with expense tracking, so accountants can directly receive the expenses for their upcoming payroll. I also wish time off had more integrations, because integrating our HR software to time off tracking would make it more consistent with our records and eliminate the need to check both applications.

Jessica

We LOVE Harvest

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

Harvest is incredibly easy to use, and doesn't try to be more than it is. It is perfect for tracking time (the iPhone app is great, too, as it allows you to start and stop time on the go) and expenses, and conducting billing. It also has a surprisingly great reporting section, which is helpful for understanding your own productivity and opportunities. Harvest is also wonderfully customizable to fit your office's individual needs.

Cons

This is so nitpicky, but that is because Harvest is so great, and has so little to improve upon: I wish there were multiple pre-set messages you can send. The current system allows for a thank you message and a "balance due" message. Our office, like many law firms, I imagine, has two balance due messages: money due for work performed, and money due to maintain a required trust deposit. Currently we have to manually change this. Not at all a deal breaker, but it would be a very welcome update in the future.

Amanda

A freelancer's best friend

Reviewed on 2020/01/23

No more tracking time on projects through notebooks and spreadsheets, or losing track of outstanding invoices. It's all there, easily accessible from a single online platform. For my solo enterprise, it's less than $15/month, which is an incredible bargain.

Pros

- So easy to do everything: time tracking, invoicing, expenses. The whole platform is intuitive and easily navigable.
- Flexible time tracking: either setting a timer or entering into a timesheet-like interface.
- The system can send invoice reminders on your behalf, so it's not like you personally bugging your contact.
- You get to choose -- through checkboxes -- how detailed you want your invoices to be.
- Invoices are globally configurable, so you can set up your template with logo, recurring info, etc.
- At a glance, you can see how much you have invoiced/received over the year/last year/etc. and which invoices are outstanding.
- Every end-of-week you get a report that shows how you spent your tracked time.

Cons

I haven't encountered anything to dislike about this platform, though I haven't yet used all of its features.

Jennifer
Jennifer
  • Industry: Design

Don't fear, Harvest is here!

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze.
My clients have an...

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze.
My clients have an easy time paying invoices through a couple of clicks of buttons. Harvest offers many integrated payment options that I have found to fill my company's needs and were quick to set up.
The simplicity of the layout of the website makes everything so simple.

Pros

Harvest tracks my time with the click of a button. I select the project and hit go. Then I stop the timer when complete. Invoices are made at the end of the month very quickly. It takes less than a minute to create and send each invoice to my clients.
Never once have I had an issue with the site being down, or any other inconveniences.
The Chrome extension helps a lot.

Cons

I have little use for most of the reports, however, they may be geared towards larger companies. Otherwise, this software is great.

Response from Harvest

Thank you for your trust in Harvest and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it!

Ruth

Easy to track time spent working on a client

Reviewed on 2017/05/26

Efficient time tracking that doesn't take much time out of your day and clear visibility on where you are spending your time.

Pros

The chrome extension makes this really easy to track the time you spend working on a particular client. With the click of a button you can select the client you are working on via a dropdown menu and you just hit 'start timer'. When you stop the timer you can also add in some extra details that are great when you're trying to report back on where your time has been spent.

When you log into the desktop version you can view week by week and day by day. You also have access to a dashboard which visually represents where you spent your time.

Cons

Sometimes you leave the timer running - it's really easy to forget that it's running in the background. You don't get a notification until the next morning and so I often have to log back in to correct my time logged.