Harvest

Online time tracking, invoicing & project reporting

I don't admin Harvest. I only enter time into Harvest. I don't like Harvest.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

I personally get no benefits from this software. I'm not a fan.

Pros

So overall I'm not a fan. That said, documenting expenses is the best I've ever seen in Harvest. It's really well done and simple. Nice and clean, get your photos, get your monies and go. Big fan.

That is where my love affair ends with this app.

From an administrative point, maybe there are incredible advantages over other offerings. The world may have never experienced such a revolutionary piece of software and I, in turn, am a simpleton; stuck in a world of misunderstanding.

Cons

If you write a app which tracks hourly time and tries to put it into buckets for easy expensing, the time-tracking app should be simple for the multitude of non-admin users. Simply put, it's cumbersome and annoying.... and I say that because someone is going to take stronger language less seriously.

Forget the fact that you have to enter in time _Daily_. When I say daily, I don't mean that you click on the day, you do the thing and save. I mean that it shows you one day per page at a time. No calendar to quickly go through a week, no monthly review where you can quickly fill in gaps. One page == one day. You can bring stuff over from the last-entered day, but the hours aren't filled in... just the buckets. This leads to an incredibly slow, painful, and frankly uninteresting experience. For a bunch of users who want to do their job instead of fiddling around with tracking how long they've done their job, asking them to use Harvest is basically asking them to make none of their time billable unless threatened with homelessness. It's incredibly painful to use.

To be sure, I'm not a fan of time-tracking apps anyway. I akin them to asking your employees to lie to you and giving them a form in which to do it... but Harvest makes the fun of lying to your employer the low-light of your day. It's not fair.

Samantha L.
  • Industry: Research

Great recurring maintenance invoices, payment reminders, keeping things simple.

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

Great and easy to use! Support was very friendly too. But to be frank, doesn't proactively solve the issues for me!

Pros

Very simple, straight forward. Can make estimates, invoices, recurring invoices, reminders, payment notes. That's all most of us really need.

Cons

Lacks a number of customizable features. A few features were obviously hardcoded in, and don't provide much flexiblity. There are workarounds, and I guess its simplicity makes up for it. Emails are only mobile width, doesn't look so visually appealing. App doesn't work on my Pixel 3XL. Crashes on Invoice page, and thereafter crashes whenever I open. Not usable. Reported issue, but not yet fixed after about 2 weeks.

Mathew T.

The gold standard for timekeeping

Reviewed on 2020/04/21

We've used harvest in the past and moved away to other products in the name of trying to fine one software suite that does it all: timekeeping, project management, chat, resource management, etc. Inevitably, we end up coming back to Harvest (alongside basecamp and slack) because it keeps things simple and does its job extremely well.

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use. Intuitive interface design that's obviously been user tested and refined. Every button and feature is exactly where you'd expect it to be.

Cons

This software does one thing really well – timekeeping. We've tried using solutions that try to do more and have gone back to Harvest because there's nothing we don't like about it.

Ken S.
  • Industry: Design

Truly the best time tracker/invoice management solution I've ever used

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

I use Harvest to track hours on projects and invoice for time spent. I've also used the estimating tool with great success. I also accept online payments through Harvest and Stripe.

Pros

Number 1: great value for the money. So much capability in one product, for a very low monthly fee.
Number 2: They are constantly adding new features, but not half-baked ones. I get the impression the the product and engineering teams are very good at what they do.

Cons

Could use more customizing of expenses and taxes - I'd like to be able to add fees to invoices that are not taxes - like markups for Stripe fees.

Haja C.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Elegant, Clean and Valuable Time Tracking App - A Staple Product

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

This is a very clean, simple appearing, a non-intrusive app which is actually a very solid and powerful platform. It has the potential to be an indispensable part of modern project-based businesses.

Well, the answer is, this basic time tracking app solves several problems all at once. First of all, Harvest is available on all your devices and computers so, whenever you need to track time...voila there it is. It is super easy to set up and use, zero learning curve needed. It's nicely organized by client, so each project gets placed where it belongs. It has idle time detection to prevent inaccuracies. There are several options for arranging your time-based fees and you can even include your billable expenses. The information is not trapped in Harvest platform so you can import and export clients, invoices and other info to your other systems easily.

You can easily send email invoices directly from your time-keeping records and accept payments online with integrations. In addition to budgeting time, you can also track expenses for each project in order to stay on track, both financially and time management-wise. This software plus Forecast gives you the potential to be increasingly accurate with time estimates for your clients.

Once you take into account all of the software integrations and the API, you really have a valuable central point to manage your business. It helps that this software was developed by a team that had to solve these problems themselves. The company also seems to have good stewardship of the business in social justice and community arenas. I have not yet used the mobile app or API but I am definitely a fan of Harvest!

Pros

-Intuitive user interface
-Cute motivational quotes and illustrations
-Great native desktop experience on the Mac
-Wonderful integrations with other software, including Harvest's Forecast, Xero accounting and Stripe
-A multi-functional API and mobile apps (IOS and Android)!

Cons

- No automated sales tax - or integration with automated sales tax providers (Avalara, Tax Jar, etc.) on invoices
-Team pricing could be better and also would be great if there were a tier between free - two projects and unlimited projects.
-No offline functionality on the desktop

Fantastic time-tracking tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Pros

Especially after a recent update, I like how easy the timer is to work with. Simply select the project I'm working on and start the timer. While I'm working it stays on in the background. If I get called away from my desk for some reason, and I forget to stop the timer, it recognizes the inactivity and checks in with me upon return. That's super handy - if I was off the computer on a call related to the project, for example, one button click and it will continue timing including the 'inactive' time. If I got called off to a different project, I can easily put the minutes/hours of 'inactive' time on the appropriate project. If I got called away by something totally unrelated to work, I can toss the accumulated 'inactive' time and either keep working or stop the clock when I get back. It also sends an email reminder after several hours of inactive time - like when I quit working for the day and forget to clock out. No more guessing!

Cons

There is sometimes a disconnect between the desktop app and the website. I can't remember why but once in a while I'll have to check on the site while the app is running (like to read notes associated with a project) and there were some discrepancies. They always sorted themselves out, but for a couple minutes it was confusing. It's not a huge issue so long as you remember to give the site time update with the app.

Amanda B.

A freelancer's best friend

Reviewed on 2020/01/23

No more tracking time on projects through notebooks and spreadsheets, or losing track of outstanding invoices. It's all there, easily accessible from a single online platform. For my solo enterprise, it's less than $15/month, which is an incredible bargain.

Pros

- So easy to do everything: time tracking, invoicing, expenses. The whole platform is intuitive and easily navigable.
- Flexible time tracking: either setting a timer or entering into a timesheet-like interface.
- The system can send invoice reminders on your behalf, so it's not like you personally bugging your contact.
- You get to choose -- through checkboxes -- how detailed you want your invoices to be.
- Invoices are globally configurable, so you can set up your template with logo, recurring info, etc.
- At a glance, you can see how much you have invoiced/received over the year/last year/etc. and which invoices are outstanding.
- Every end-of-week you get a report that shows how you spent your tracked time.

Cons

I haven't encountered anything to dislike about this platform, though I haven't yet used all of its features.

Amy H.
  • Industry: Design

Great software for the administrator, lacking some functionality for the users

Reviewed on 2021/02/28

Pros

This is great for ease of use and for keeping time tracking central. Although the UI needs work, the UX is very good and makes a cumbersome, laborious task such as time tracking easy and quick. Whereas in other softwares you have to go hunt for the task to track and find the project listing, go to the card, then track - Harvest just has these options all in one panel.

For admins, the info collected is quantified in a very visual and excellent way allowing us to track time and project expenses.

Cons

For those not assigned as administrators, you can't see the time estimates for tasks - only projects. This is a massive issue as it means that for one project, I don't know as a designer how much time is allowed for design vs development - only the whole project.

As a contractor I work for as a separate client, they also use harvest. I bill at the end of projects and also based on monthly enhancements based on hourly cost. It is extremely hard as a user (not admin) to see and get a summary of this time without having to manually add it all up. Massive issue

Jennifer R.
  • Industry: Design

Don't fear, Harvest is here!

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Harvest saves me so much time by tracking my work hours. Invoicing is a breeze.
My clients have an easy time paying invoices through a couple of clicks of buttons. Harvest offers many integrated payment options that I have found to fill my company's needs and were quick to set up.
The simplicity of the layout of the website makes everything so simple.

Pros

Harvest tracks my time with the click of a button. I select the project and hit go. Then I stop the timer when complete. Invoices are made at the end of the month very quickly. It takes less than a minute to create and send each invoice to my clients.
Never once have I had an issue with the site being down, or any other inconveniences.
The Chrome extension helps a lot.

Cons

I have little use for most of the reports, however, they may be geared towards larger companies. Otherwise, this software is great.

Response from Harvest

Thank you for your trust in Harvest and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it!

Khuram Z.

Harvest is awesome!

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

Overall, Harvest is incredible. It's one of the best SaaS products out there. For time-tracking specifically, we found it better than other platforms such as Toggl. The user experience is super simple and it's got great reporting.

Pros

Harvest takes minutes to set it up and is so user-friendly, user adoption happened incredibly quickly. It was the fastest program our team adopted compared with other solutions. Firstly, the platform is accessible through multiple devices ranging from web to desktop to browser extension to mobile app to integrations with Jira. Everyone is different and the platform adapts to almost everyone's needs. Secondly, as an admin, I can go in, add users, add projects, add tasks, classify tasks as billable or non-billable, and add a bill rate if applicable. Thirdly, the platform can set reminders and people self-manage. Each week, I get everyone's timesheets on the dot, I review them, send them back if they need more information, and focus on analyzing data instead of trying to get everyone to give me updates. I love the project view because I can see where we are spending money, where we aren't, and where we need to shift resources accordingly. It's even great for reimbursements - you just snap a photo and add can add the item via the mobile app.

Cons

As a digital agency, we don't always bill by hourly rate or fixed firm price. Some of our clients are on monthly retainers which sadly Harvest doesn't include. It's not a deal breaker for us, but it's something that would be nice to have.

Easy Time Tracking and Management Software that Creates a Powerful Partner to Forecast

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

Highly efficient time tracking and management tool that does exactly what you need it to.

Pros

Time tracking is easy and efficient, and works anywhere you need it to (multiple browsers, phone, browser extensions, etc). Tracking while working on tasks is simple with the built-in timer, and checking/managing your time is as simple as clicking on the browser extension. The platform is highly user-friendly and only gets more useful/powerful if notes by employees are mandatory in project tracking. Looking at time spent on tasks or projects is easy. This tool is only made more powerful by its partner platform, Forecast. Integrating the two is a smart move.

Cons

I wish there was a way to pop a reminder for employees to leave notes about the work they completed. These notes are wildly helpful in managing projects with multiple moving parts or long timelines.

Madison S.

Track your time with ease

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

I would definitely recommend Harvest to both large companies and freelancers! The company I work for does solely remote work, so Harvest keeps everyone accountable. It is easy to use, manage, and edit.

Pros

This is a great product for time tracking! I like how you can create different categories for time that way at the end of the month you can see where your time was really spent. For example, if you're working on a website, you can break down your time into categories such as site maintenance, website edits, client correspondence, etc.

Cons

When I use Harvest, I log into the site directly. I tried the app before, but there were some glitches. Either it would stop tracking when I wanted it to track, or keep tracking after I paused the timer. This could be user error, as a lot of my coworkers prefer the app, however the app wasn't for me.

Megan G.

Eliminated our previously very manual time-tracking process

Reviewed on 2019/12/16

Manual time tracking. Makes it easier for Engineers to input their time, and manager to view in real-time.

Pros

Easy to use and customize. I also implemented the use of Harvest forecast which links with Harvest in order to help estimate utilization of our engineers. Prior to using Harvest, our time tracking process was very manual, and this has really made it so much easier.

Cons

There are lots of features that I'd love to be able to customize, such as budget overages (automatically being marked as non-billable). I also question the way that it calculates utilization, but I've just adapted and manually put together reports for myself and management team.

Katie M.

Works well for time management and budget set up

Reviewed on 2019/11/16

Pretty happy. Its very helpful to keep track and super easy to add in time even if you are backlogged.

Pros

It's pretty easy to understand and they constantly add in new plugins to connect to make time tracking easier such as tracking to your google calendar or tracking via asana tasks which is pretty awesome.

It's also great at sending you alerts if a project is nearing too many hours per budget.

Cons

You can't easily find all your projects for one client as a whole very easily. You have to go through the number system they have at the bottom but if you a lot of clients in there it takes forever to find. It would be nice to have it page through by alphabetical there instead of 1-X.

Dave S.
  • Industry: Design

A great balance of functionality and simplicity for time tracking and invoicing software

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Harvest allows us to easily set up projects, track budgets, and bill clients. No frills, just what you need.

Pros

They have hands down some of the best support of any SAAS company, and for a very reasonable price tag. I almost always get same-day answers.
The basic features are very simple to use and are getting even more simple. I love that it has simple time tracking and invoicing that just work.

Cons

I wish you could style the invoices more, they look pretty bland. I also wish you could charge credit card fees to the customer automatically when they use a card (this is legal where I live in TN). And accepting e-check would be great, too. But I wouldn't be surprised if they implement some of these features, they've been requested!

Joe P.

Harvest makes it really easy for my teams to track time and invoice for time.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Harvest has made it easy to track team utilization (critical for a services based business). It also makes it super simple to invoice time (not to mention follow up on invoices). Reporting and team visibility has also been huge for our functional teams

Pros

Harvest is easy to use on any platform, and has direct integrations into just about any other productivity tool you can think of. I love the Team visibility and reporting. Invoicing is super easy as well.

Cons

I wish Harvest made it easier to switch between multiple accounts (for example, business and personal) where different email addresses are used.

Tyler S.

Harvest Makes Tracking Time Less Painful

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Simple. Straight-forward. Consistent. And Stable.

Pros

The power and how it's hidden to keep the app simple to use for most people. But when you need it, you can grant it to a user and they can dive into deep reports that show everything that ever happened in our agency. Their Mac and mobile apps are great, too!

Cons

While Harvest doesn't feel all that much outdated, it could probably use a design refresh to take advantage of higher-resolution screens we all work on these days. I like change, and there's room for that.

Keri K.

Great Platform for Time Tracking and Time Management

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

We use Harvest for our payroll time tracking. It has been great as far as that platform is considered.

Pros

It is simple to use for employees and management. I love that it tracks by week / month. It is a fun platform in the sense that the comments when you try to go back in time are about time travel. I like that it is interactive in this sense. It is a great way to track employee time for payroll. It also integrates well with other products such as meistertask.

Cons

The set up at first was a bit confusing when adding employees. Once we got that resolved it was a simple platform to use and is great for tracking employee time.

Helina P.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

One of the best time tracking apps on the market

Reviewed on 2018/05/12

Insight into how we are doing on projects and better billing for our hourly projects.

Pros

It's super easy for our team to track and manage project hours. For freelancers and small teams, it's a no-brainer decision if you need to track time. The app, web extension and easy to use website make it super easy to get people into the habbit of tracking time. Stable software.

Cons

The subscription fees are steep when you have a larger team. The integrations are decent enough. The reporting is clunky and not as sophisticated as it should be for the price point. I always seem to have to export to excel to get the data points I need.

Alexa T.

Track Time Effectively

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Pros

One of the things I’ve discovered from doing freelance work is that I was highly underestimating the time it actually took me to do things. Whether it’s something you’ve done before, or a brand new project, managing your time can be tricky—especially when working from home.

Harvest allows you to track your time per project and per task. This can be incredibly helpful when you’re doing a few different tasks within the same project or for the same client. Not only will this tool help you better track your time, it will also keep you more organized. It even allows you to create invoices directly in the app.

Cons

You can only track one task at a time, so for those who like to have multiple timers going, this may not be the best tool for you.

Garrett S.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Job tracking made easy

Reviewed on 2020/01/24

Harvest is a fantastic tool, making it easy to track and log time for various tasks across different departments.

Pros

So much easier than relying on a stopwatch. The ability to add different jobs and categories as the need arises is especially useful.

Cons

A lot of jobs can take several days to complete, so the lack of a feature that allows you to pull up the previous day's job and add additional time to it is a bit of a headache.

Great for tracking

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

Overall it's a great tool that does what it is supposed to do, make time tracking and billing easier. Having used it as a freelancer, it is perfect to keep clients organized and billed without losing too much time on admin work.

Pros

Harvest is easy to use and allows me to track time in real-time. The app also scans your calendar and helps tag meetings and calls to the right projects to be easily tracked. Set up is also super easy for teams and individuals.

Cons

All of my issues with Harvest are related to how it has been implemented. Our team works cross-functionally most of the day so outside of any consulting work we are doing that is tied to a client, we are moving fluidly from one task to the next and often forget to switch over our timer.

Complete and intuitive solution

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Love it. I recommended Harvest to many friends and partners and they all seem to enjoy the tool.

Pros

Used it both for a medium size business and as a freelancer. Timesheet management is intuitive and easy to use and so is invoicing.

Cons

Some invoicing fields should be more easily customized.
Archiving items could be hiding them in reports to help us clean the data with show on screen and make reports simpler.

John H.

Simple, easy to use time tracking software. Gets the job done.

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

Time tracking without the hassle.

Pros

There is virtually no ramp up time for Harvest, its incredibly intuitive and a new user can understand it on day one. I really appreciate the stopwatch feature and the integrations with other software like JIRA.

Cons

I don't personally work with the reporting features, but I've from others that it takes some work to understand how to organize them and get the right output.

Caitlin L.

Great. This Software is easy for employees to track billable time.

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Easy time tracking and project budget visuals. This software integrates with our task list making tracking a breeze.

Pros

I like that this software is extremely user friendly. You only have to train someone one time for them to understand entering time correctly.

Cons

I sometimes have trouble reading budget bars. It seems odd that the overbudget projects red bar seems to eat back over the original budget. Visually, I think it makes sense to have the budget used up and then have the red extend past the budget bar indicating you are over budget instead of coming back and eating the blue bar up.