aMember Pro

Membership and subscription management

D'vorah L.

Powerful Online Platform for Courses, Membership Program and Digital Products

Reviewed on 2020/12/24

Pros

As an online educator and product creator, I needed a reliable, robust and easy-to-use online platform that would allow me to protect my content, provide a wonderful user experience and process payments. aMember delivers it all, and more. I've been using this software to run my business for over eight years.

Cons

There are a lot of moving parts, so you'll need to have a detail-oriented person on your team or systems in place when adding new products. However, the customer support team is spectacular and they get back to you quickly with solutions and support.

Bobby J.

More Support!

Reviewed on 2015/09/01

Okay I get it these guys live and work in another time zone!

I have been a customer for about 15 years. I hold many licenses for all the websites I have set up for myself and others over the years.

Program pretty easy to install and get going. Never really had an issue with any of that.

When I first started using this software the support was quick, and they answered support tickets as soon as they got into the office. This was great for me since their start time is my bedtime. I could resolve the issue in 12 - 24 hours by a quick exchange of emails / support tickets. Their coding structure was simple to use and has gotten very complex over the years.

Their forum is pretty dead and the only people trolling over there are looking to get paid. It used to be full of helpful people willing to help.

Over the years they have listened to their customers and added some cool features. However the documentation for the new features are very poorly written or does not explain all the features. Just a quick overview and the rest is I hope the customers can figure it out.

The biggest issue I have had over the years are the themes, matching the look and feel of my website with aMember. The lack of docs on the subject over every version have made it extremely hard to make my own themes without help from their staff.

Not too many people know how to work with aMember and if you do it wrong you will lose your updates when you update your software to a new version. Hire the wrong coder and you are throwing money away.

So what do you do? You put up with their crappy support system that has gotten worse the more people they hire to provide support. If you catch anyone online (skype) they never answer, say they are on vacation, or tell you to open a ticket. When you tell them you have an you need a reply they ignore you.

Go to bed and you will get half of what you need to complete your task at hand. Add to your support ticket give them your ftp access the next night and they will fix it by the time you wake up, if you are lucky. Otherwise it will be a few days of exchanging support tickets.

If you understand php, phtml, css, and have the time to learn aMembers coding system you will be in business. If not I would stay clear of this software unless you want a half finished broke site for days at a time, or the crappy service!

Scott F.

Consistent support, assistance, updates, and new versions since I began using this back in...

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

With this software I am able to create a simple, yet incredibly feature rich membership management site selling everything from subscription based products, subscription based services and even online webinars and in-person seminars - all for a fraction of the price it would take to develop a custom solution. This allows me to focus all my energy on customizing the website theme, layout and user experience, saving my customers a LOT of money and allowing me to bid jobs much lower than others while creating a superior product. Not only that, but when complete I can offload support on the aMember company for any project IF I choose to do so.

Pros

This software/script is an incredible value for the money. Nowhere else on the internet have I found a membership management application that gives you as many features, options and customization ability than with aMember. On top of all that, you get access to the ENTIRE source code of the system, along with virtually unlimited access to the programmers and support staff that actually build the software for a year with the initial purchase, and after that year the annual support renewal is more than reasonable for the level of help they provide. This system is so versatile that I have been able to build 8 different sites with it, and within those 8 sites each one operates with a similar function but has its very own style and themes.

Cons

The only real draw backs I have about this script is that the actual documentation they have created on their internal wiki is extremely limited, and the support team is based somewhere a bit west of Russia which can make talking with support in realtime a bit challenging at times. Their english is pretty good, but there are times when the language barrier becomes a bit challenging - but not enough to make it difficult or impossible by any means. Honestly, if they updated their documentation to be more up-to-date, clear and concise I would probably never need support.

Sue F.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

My Choice of Shopping Cart

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

I use Amember for my ecommerce site. It functions as my shopping cart and affiliate program. I love the fact that I didn't have to purchase a separate affiliate program, and it helps affiliates find their links by logging into one area and not multiple sites.

Pros

What attracted me to Amember Pro is that it was a shopping cart and affiliate program combined. That makes it easy for me to use to list my products and to run the affiliate program. I also liked the fact that while it works with Wordpress sites, it is a separate install. This keeps the backend of my business separate from the store end.

Cons

There is a learning curve with the software but I found a great Facebook group that helps with additional tips. The customer service from Amember is very good, sometimes, due to their location it takes a while for a reply to come through. But they are excellent at troubling shooting and going out of their way to fix your issues.

Glenn S.
  • Industry: Maritime

An awesome Membership database!

Reviewed on 2017/01/10

The product was completely adaptable to our needs. The customer support has been fast and incredibly attentive to our needs.

Pros

Easily adapted. Great support staff.

Cons

Don't really have any.

Ronnie S.

Reviewed on 2015/12/26

Ken C.

Amember Pro

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Amember pro allowed us to connect wordpress, vbulletin and other app to a central membership database.

Pros

It has lots of features. Many plugins to choose from.

Cons

It could be made mobile friendly. It's hard to navigate on a cell phone.

Scott F.

Has helped me build new business ventures as well as manage existing business models...

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

aMember Pro allows me to effectively and affordably manage multiple subscription style website services.

Pros

I love that these guys have been around for a good 10+ years and are still going strong. The system is updated several times a year, mostly from customer requests and changes, and new features are constantly being added. The program interfaces with hundreds of third-party companies, and if they don't already have a plug-in module they will build it for you OR you can do it yourself with their API systems.

Cons

There are only 2 cons I can think of with aMember. First, the language barrier gets annoying even though they do a pretty good job with English. More than anything it is that their replies are usually short and torte, and they tend to ignore certain requests unless you repeat yourself. Second, the program is well designed but the documentation is terrible. I know my way through most of the system because I've used it for so many years, but when I need help and check the documentation I never know IF it will be there, and if it is there, it might not be for the right version.