OriginPro

Cloud-based data analysis and graphing software

Greg
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

A lifelong partnership

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

I am doing relatively simple plotting of scientific data, but I take advantage of the myriad cosmetic plotting options, the onboard statistics, and the easy portability of the files and output into publication quality images.

Pros

I feel with Origin that anything is possible when I need to present my data. The options are staggering, and your biggest obstacle will be imaging what you want to show and then finding the right keystrokes to take your dataset to an amazing graphic. I've been using this platform for scientific publishing since graduate school. Anytime I change jobs I always negotiate in the purchase of Origin for the lab. I've made a number of converts among my colleagues at every new lab.

Cons

Origin is a bit pricey compared to other programs, but many universities obtain site liscences for it, and if you get one copy and pay for annual maintenance, you get a second install that comes in handy if you have home and work computers. The other issue is the complexity of the software that is necessary to make all these options available. They have made big strides in showing you how through tutorials, and their customer service is superb. If you have an idea, they can show you how to make the software work for you to realize it.

Vahe
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

OriginPro: Pros and Cons.

Reviewed on 2019/07/09

I like OriginPro very much. It allows me to accomplish most of my analysis tasks on fairly large data sets which are often beyond Excel's capabilities. However, I still use Excel for certain things since its capabilities are symmetric with respect to rows and columns [e.g., I can sum up values of a column and assign it to a cell on that column. I am not aware of this capability in Origin].

I also like the customer service since I have had many occasions to seek help from them. They are really helpful and often resolve issues within a few days.

Pros

High quality plotting and data presentation along with statistical analysis and data modeling.

Cons

It is not fast enough particularly with large data sets. It does not seem to use multi-core capabilities of CPU/GPU's. There seems to be more emphasis on developing new graphs and presentations rather that new analysis functionality. Origin has very little AI and machine learning capabilities!

Origin needs a more friendlier interface in implementing expressions and formulas in column and row calculations e.g., why is accessing parameter cell values so difficult in column fill tab.

Origin 2019 is slower than the previous versions!

Jonathon
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Still not intuitive, but does make nice plots

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

Pros

Data fitting works extremely well... once you have managed to set it up.

Cons

Extremely non-intuitive and support has been almost useless, seemingly relying on other users in forums?

Response from OriginLab

Hi Jonathon,

Thank you for your comments on OriginPro!

Regarding your comment about lack of adequate support:
We work with distributors in several countries worldwide. The distributors are responsible for providing product and licensing support for local users. We will bring your complaint to the attention of our distributor in your region.

In the mean time, we will be happy to provide assistance directly to you. You can find contact information for our main office here:

Joseph
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

OriginPro for graphing and statistics is a good choice for pretty graphs and ease of use -...

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

I've been using it for years and was impressed by the opportunities it provides rather than confused by the tremendous number of options to choose from.

Best
Joseph

Pros

Ease of use, design of user interface and graphs, multiple ways to achieve the same thing (drag-and-drop, buttons, pop-ups...)

Cons

The yellow pop-ups are bothering me as I think this software is so intuitive that it won't take look to find out where to find the desired function to modify graphs, windows or save the project.

Nikolay
  • Industry: Biotechnology

With Origin I can solve most of my analysis tasks. I do all my final statistics and graphing...

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

I'm working with Origin since 4.0 version.

I'm working with Origin since 4.0 version.

Pros

Flexibility, powerful analysis capacity. Graphing is excellent. Making graphs is very easy and user-frendly. Build-in programming makes Origin extremely flexible, so any (any-any) type of your analysis can be reached by it, it is kind of limitless possibilities for you. However, it takes time but it worths it! Oh, I'd like to say more about software updates, first of all new version comes quite often, thus if you met any problem with Origin or you have any suggestion it will be solved fast.

Cons

When you start using Origin you need to learn much about Origin. However, for the best performance of any program you have to learn how to use that.

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Fascinating, remarkable and extremely useful

Reviewed on 2020/02/02

Pros

As a researcher, OriginPro is quite an amazing and versatile software as it offers numerous options for better visualizing your data. We use it on a regular basis for making graphs for reports and journal publications.

Cons

Price: Procuring the required license for this software is kind of expensive and it does prevent a number of students from taking the full advantage of it

• Used for 2+ years

The best software to analyze and visualize your data

Reviewed on 2021/06/18

I have been using Origin Pro for a long time to analyze and plot my research data, it is a powerful and robust tool and I strongly recommend it.

Pros

Trusted and reliable software with more than 25 years of service.
It is suitable for students, researchers, engineers, and market analysis.
The interface is user-friendly.
Data entry is very simple, just drag and drop the files into the working space.
Origin Pro provides numerous methods for data comparison.
The program comes with more than a hundred graphs for data representation.
Users can create customized graphs.
Software updates added helpful features like a new color manager, formula bar, and quick editing bar.
Finally, the support team is great.

Cons

I think purchase fees are costly for low-budget users. On the other hand, the trial period is appreciated.
The program requires knowledge of its features. However, the newcomers will find Origin Pro tutorials very helpful.
Lack of flexibility, it works only on windows.

Han
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

OriginPro User

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

OriginPro is very powerful tool for data analysis, and it has a lot of option and feature sometime analyst don't know it have it. My opinion, OriginPro should have a quick reference or something that attract new user. For example, I have shown some of my college to use OriginPro, they played around for the first hour when I came back to see how they like it. they want back to MS Excel.

Pros

I use OriginPro to analyze data and graph, and this software is allowing to zoom in detail into data. since OriginPro embedded Microsoft PowerPoint and Word application, the graph export direct to PowerPoint or Word. it is ready for presentation. The best part, once I load the data, and I have 10+ column to graph to evaluate bad data point. The sparklines is helping me to visual which data column I need to focus on and analyze it first.

Cons

I use OriginPro for many years, and I said OriginPro is not user friendly. For the new user, it needs some guiding unstill new user familiar with OriginPro layout.

Alex

Origin Pro - for scientific data analysis

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

The semi-automatic process of the huge amount of screening data, which provided me with statistically relevant End-Points for CMPDs testin.

Pros

Origin is a great platform for Drug Discovery data processing and analysis.
A lot of really useful functionality, allowing me to easily process the data and extract all kinds of information.

Cons

You have to spend some time to fully appreciate the full potential of various Origin features.

Bharath
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Excellent data handling

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

Excellent till date.

Excellent till date.

Pros

I like the way it handles voluminous experimental data. Quality of graphs are excellent. Marcos features are very helpful.

Cons

Certain additional features in the latest version is slowing down the processing.

Response from OriginLab

Hi Bharath,

Thank you for the review!

Regarding your comment about slow down in the latest version, can you please provide some specifics?

Dariusz

Working on Origin2019b

Reviewed on 2019/06/05

Pros

I have been been working on Origin for more than a decade, starting back with version 6.0. For comparison I also tried other comparable software like MS Excel, Grapher or SigmaPlot and in my opinion nothing really beats Origin. The software seems very complicated for beginners and definitely is designed for a serious statistical, etc. work but few hours spent deciphering features pays back multiple times. It's all about data, data, data...Variability of predefined templates for various types of graphs is large. In addition convenience and freedom in manipulating them to your own needs/way is just fantastic and simple. I very often fit data and have to apply my own customized functions that can be easily build in the Origin code and stored as a function file and used when needed. This is very convenient.

Cons

- Frequent upgrades to a new versions that do not add much changes to a core features.
- complicated manipulation of appearance of heat maps. I have troubles with getting smooth graphs from noisy data as I cannot find option to artificially smooth maps without modifying underlying data except changing graph "speed mode" (and that is not strictly map smoothing).
-More specific: restructured menu in version 2019b. It looks like many functions I could open with click of right mouse button just on the graph are gone (e.g. layer contents, etc.). All takes more time now as I have to find them in the upper menu. Could you bring them back?

Response from OriginLab

Hello Dariusz,

Thank you very much for the review!

Regarding your specific comments:

Heatmap: Can you please send a project to us so we can see the issue and try help you?
Smoothing of noisy data: Again, please send us a project.
Right-click context menu: Yes, we did rearrange because some menus were too long and users with smaller laptop screens were running into issues. Specifically for Layer Contents, you can press the F12 shortcut key on a graph to bring it up.

Also, in versions 2019 and higher, we have a Start button on the bottom left where you can type
m <search phrase>
to see all the menu options related to your search phrase.

Gabriel
  • Industry: Sports

Origin Pro is a great tool for biomechanic analysis

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

As I say before It allow me to apply complex algorithms in other way I couldn´t apply. I want to learn LabTalk programming to have more options, but this will be in the future.

In general terms I am very happy with Origin. I use it almost every day to analyze graphs, apply filters.
I thinks it is a powerful tool for biomechanichs analysis (I am also very happy with the apps specifics for this aim, such as C3D importer, EMG analysis tool, etc.).

Also the developer of the apps help you a lot. I talk with two of them and they give me a lot of ideas and solutions to my problems.

Pros

I worked for a biomechanic lab. Before using OriginLab I try to use to use other softwares such as GNU Octave, R, Python to do signal analysis (finding peaks, apply filters such as Butterworth Filter, Savitzky-Golay, etc.) but I am not very good in programming and I have a lot of troubles. OriginLab has made my life easier as apply this filter is really easy. I also use statistic capabilities of this softwares and create beautiful graphs for presentations or manuscripts.

Cons

I use it in an old computer and I have some troubles with some functions. For example I couldn´t open a project directly and I should open a new project and drag and drop the project into it… In my new computer I do not have this problem. Other trouble I had was that sometimes Ctrl + Z didn´t run well when creating graph. I save the graph in every new step to not loss information. And I also have little problems with the copy and paste arrays of number from and to excel (sometimes I have to do twice). But this problems where minor problems compared with all the things I have do with Origin. It is helping me a lot in my PhD.

Cassi
  • Industry: Research

Student version should have more windows, even 40 instead of 30. Please!

Reviewed on 2022/06/14

It's decent. I did a lot of Fit Peaks (Pro) and it worked for my application wonderfully. But the tables in the graphs that are generated glitch and generate MORE WINDOWS upon opening and closing the software. Which I am only allowed 30. So you hopefully can see where I start to run into trouble.

Pros

This software looks nicer than using excel for example and has more graphing and fitting power which I utilize and appreciate.

Cons

I used JMP for years and I miss it, it's just too expensive for graduate students. I used to script things so I didn't have to change the graph font and number display style 1 million times manually. I like how origin works like JMP for the most part but I definitely have had some graphical struggles in comparison.

Wei
Wei
  • Industry: Chemicals

A very power software for scientific plot

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

The overall experience with OriginPro is pretty good for me. The software can help me generate professional plots and I do believe most of the plots in the scientific papers are produced by OriginPro. I did and will highly recommend this software to my labmates, my classmates, and my colleagues who also in the scientific field. I do believe they also love this powerful tool!

Pros

I have used this software for scientific plots for more than 10 years. I can definitely say this software really help me a lot, not only for my undergraduate studies, term papers, scientific report, but also for my master thesis, and even PhD dissertation. Most of the scientific plots in my dissertation are generated from OriginPro. I can easily plot a beautiful figure in 5 min. Many of the embedded plotting tools are really good and they even make my plots more beautiful. I pretty much love this software!

Cons

The software can only be used in Windows system but not in Mac system. So when I need to use OriginPro to plot my data, I have to switch the system from Mac to Windows. After I finished the plotting and I still need to go back to Mac system, which is annoying and to be honest, is a waste of time. This is what I like least about this software.

Caiwei
  • Industry: Research

Highly customizable data fitting and graphical presentation

Reviewed on 2020/06/07

Pros

With the spreadsheet-like workspace, this software is not difficult to get a hand on for amateurs who are more familiar with Excel, yet it is more powerful than the latter. For data-intensive research where readily available polynomials are not always around, Origin really stands out in terms of customized data fitting and rapid generation of fit parameters. Besides user-defined curve fitting, it also has a vast collection of built-in functions. The graphing feature is also impressive, with numerous options for two- and three-dimensional plots that meet most of my research needs. In one way or another, it is like Excel and Matlab combined, but less cumbersome than the latter, and more capable in data fitting and graphical presentation than the former. Origin can be integrated with other programming and data analysis tools such as Matlab, Labview, Excel and Python.

Cons

While the basics are quick to get comfortable with, the more advanced features do take some time and effort to master.

FRANCEMIR

Statistical treatment and graphics

Reviewed on 2021/04/16

The Origin Program helped me a lot. I currently save a lot of time in data processing. I have been using the software since 2011 as a master and PhD student. I currently use it as a teacher in higher education, for mathematical modeling, statistical analysis and regression analysis.

Pros

The versatility was the one that most caught the attention of Originpro. It is possible to use it for several tasks, such as advanced calculations, mathematical models for experimental data, statistical calculations, linear and polynomial regression, in addition to plotting the most diverse types of graphs, coming from different sources, such as laboratory equipment. Example, HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography), spectrophotometers (UV-VIS, Infrared).

Cons

With is a powerful tool, you need a basic knowledge of computers to take advantage of its full potential. In addition, it is necessary to know a little about file extensions, such as jpeg (image), pdf (portable document format), and csv (comma-separated text files).

Nachiket
  • Industry: Research

OriginPro is the sweet spot between professional custom-coded analysis and amateur spreadsheeti...

Reviewed on 2019/06/18

We are using OriginPro mainly for graphing and analysis for intravital microscopy , autocorrelation analysis and statistics.

Pros

OriginPro has very powerful analysis capabilities built-in, and these are now further expanded due to the Apps feature. In principle, all of these capabilities can be written as scripts in Python/Matlab, but the convenience and speed of OriginPro is unparalleled.
The algorithms for guessing the initial values for the non-linear fitting functions in OriginPro are some of the best and reliable that I have come across.

Cons

OriginPro has an extremely dated interface and it is hard to keep track of multiple data sets in the folder structure.
The ability to manipulate cell data within the cell - eg: removing non-numeric characters from "23 kg" to obtain numeric 23 would be useful.

• Industry: Plastics

Best Software for publication plots

Reviewed on 2022/04/05

It is my everyday tool for Data Analysis

It is my everyday tool for Data Analysis

Pros

I like the plot/graph features on Origin. It gives a wide variety of options and flexibility. The data analytical tools are useful as well.

Cons

Applying formulas are some things that need to be improved compared to Excel

Duane
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Excellent software for manuscript ready figures

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

What is not to like about the OriginPro software. I am very pleased with the software and

Pros

Curve fitting, peak finding, and generally the flexibility of multiple graphs on one page.

Cons

There is a little software issue when applying a mathematical expression to a column, if two columns in the same worksheet have the same name. (i.e. having multiple "Time" columns and adding/subtracting from the time value can lead to strange results due to other columns with same name)

Response from OriginLab

Hi Duane,

Thank you for the review!

Regarding your comment about multiple columns with same long name, and using the name in column formula calculations:
Yes, currently we pick the first found column.
In the next version, we will look into adding a warning to inform user that multiple columns with same name were found.

OriginLab review

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

it was great, help me a lot to achieve my purpose. The figures created by OriginLab are much better than the other software I used before.

Pros

easy to learn and use. I am new to a lot of analyzing methods and have no clue to start. then I tried to use OriganLab, which is really easy to learn. it is really convenient to contact the technical support whenever I have an issue.

Cons

I believe originlab has tons of functions that I have not tried. Among the small portion of functions that I used frequently (like PCA, PLS, HCA), I hope you can develop more chemometric analyzing methods, such as PLS-DA, which I have proposed to one of your technical support (yiming).

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Origin makes data analysis from the lab much easier

Reviewed on 2019/10/10

Currently I am using Origin for analyzing data gathered from complex characterization techniques such as SEM, FTIR and other material analysis tools in the Chemical and Material Laboratory. The software allows exporting from data sources such as excel and can be used to create charts and graphs using all or selected data. After knowing your way through the software, you will also be able to analyse the data gathered and come to quick conclusions. It didnt take me too long to learn the functions of the software (have more t learn!) but i believe the interface needs to be more user friendly. for instance the layout can be changed to make it easier to find your way through the software. However I recommend this software especially to scientists who need data analysis for their research and experimental work.

Pros

The software allows large number of raw data to be converted to graphs/charts very efficiently and effectively and carry out advanced statistical calculations. Which is very helpful in my area of work.

Cons

The interface. I would say, it is not the most user friendly interface I have used.

• Industry: Automotive

OriginPro Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/05

Pros

Origin is the Cadillac of data processing software. It is fast, offers many analysis features and generates publication-ready plots in a matter of minutes. It's easy to process large amounts of data and batch analyze them. The nonlinear fitting feature is the most versatile of any data processing software.

Cons

While generally easy to use, considering the complexity, some workflows are not optimal and require lot of searching and clickthroughs.
While Origin also supports many scripting features, this means that the user has to learn quite a lot of syntax.

Louis
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Top notch customer support

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

Overall, OriginPro is the way to go. It is a one stop for data analysis with great customer service.

Pros

customer service is BY FAR the reason to invest in origin pro for your team. If you have an issue with processing a certain data type, or can not crack what is preventing you from moving forward. The customer service team is attentive, and always see your problem through. They will even send follow up emails to make sure your problems are solved before closing your case. A+ customer service.

Cons

Although user interface is clean, sometimes you can get tied up in the fact that multiple buttons/options can perform the same function. For example, importing files can be accessed thru many means, which can be confusing and may make a big difference in how easy you think a certain job is, versus the experience of another user who tries to accomplish the same goal using a different method.

Bruce
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

tip to use an app - general linear regression

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

We generate lots of anatomical information about a neuron and it takes a while. We also analyze a solid number of neurons per animal - like 50 to 80. With all that data we worry about selection bias and about the number of animals in each group. The Origin team, prompted by a review of original work by M.D. Wilson (Neurosci Methods. 2017 March 01; 279: 33–43. doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth. 2017.01.003.) helped us think about analyzing mixed effects. We did not have a way to act on the execution procedure of Wilson et al. so turned to the Origin experts to help. There is an app - or maybe they designed a new app - called General linear regression that permits the study of the relationship between the response variable and categorical and continuous variables. It provided converging evidence with the linear and non-parametric methods we were using. The Origin experts responded in a timely and clear fashion. This is not the first time they have helped. I recommend them and their product highly.

Pros

power of combining categorical variables

Cons

tedium of data entry from excel sheets -

Christian
  • Industry: Higher Education

OriginPro

Reviewed on 2019/06/26

Pros

The import filter option allows me to drag and drop my raw data into OriginPro. Afterwards, they are plotted and analysed automatically, which is very convenient and saves me much time for a larger amount of data.

Cons

OriginPro has a lot of functions and advantages, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all the possibilities. Luckily a lot of online tutorials and help files guide through the most essential features. When I am stuck, I use the Origin forum and usually get a helpful reply in a short time.