Blender

On-premise video editing tool for developers and designers.

George
George

Opinion from Blender use who has 5 years of experience

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

I have been working in blender for over 5 years, i am an interior designer and blender gave everything i wanted in this field : Redering, modeling, lighting, materials.... Blender has everything for me to work on a big projects. I started working in blender and i think ill never change it, maybe i will add some but i will never change blender to other 3D software.

Pros

Blender is Open-source software which is Free which is very important thing if you compare it to other softwares. Blender can give you same result as paid softwares. In this program you can make a lot of things, you can : Paint, 3D models, Sculpting, Video editing, Rendering, Animation and many more things.
Blender has it's own Rendering engine so you don't have to buy it and trust me it's very good even if it's free.
Development team is putting their heart in this product and you can see it in their daily builds, it gets better and better.
Community is amazing, you can find many groups, forums and websites dedicated to blender and blender users, there are alot of plugins and models too. you also can use models from other softwares by simply importing FBX or OBJ file format in blender scene.

Cons

It's not an industry standard and ill try to explain why.... Blender is new program and lately it got better that's why many people don't use it, they think that it's a free program and they don't look at it seriously, also many big companies already have stuff which work on Maya or 3Ds max and they don't want to get a new team member who works in blender, because big companies make big projects, every team member is making his part in this project and if one of the team member uses different program, he/she could not use others assets, materials, lighting and many other stuff.... to cut a long story short, Blender is not industry standard because many people don't use it and they still use 3Ds max, maya or any other software.

Sascha
  • Industry: Design

Blender is one of the best open-source software packages available

Reviewed on 2022/10/04

I've been using Blender for over 10 years now, and it's been quite an adventure.

In recent years...

In recent years Blender has quickly gone from being seen as a tool used by amateurs to a fully fledged 3D app. Companies like AMD, Google, and Apple have been contributing large amounts of funding and code to Blender, and it's starting to see use in many production environments. Blender truly makes high quality 3D available to all.

Pros

Blender is free and open source; Recently it has seen a lot more funding and has quickly gained popularity and seen increased use in production environments.

Blender is very powerful and tries to be a bit of a swiss army knife. Though it may not be the best at anything, as a jack-of-all-trades it can do a lot.

Blender makes 3D accessible to anyone.

Cons

Blender can have a bit of a steep learning curve for new users, and is lacking in some areas or functionality.

Houdini

Reasons for Choosing Blender

Lightwave was too inflexible. I learned to use it in College but quickly sold my key and switched to blender after the course was done.

Reasons for Switching to Blender

It was free, and I was able to do pretty much everything I could in lightwave.
Amber
  • Industry: Computer Games

Not functional last update

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

I have used blender since 2014. I enjoyed the earlier versions, and prefer it over Maya in ease of use and price. Do not recommend any update past 2.79 if you are looking for ease and an actual useable application.

Pros

I enjoyed the earlier versions of it, with ease of use, hotkeys, and a clear, labeled interface

Cons

The new version is too chaotic, too massive of a change. The hotkeys no longer work/are not the same. Unable to create/edit anything because unable to figure out how everything works, even with the guide. Had to Change back to the old format (2.79) in order to do anything.

Craig
  • Industry: Media Production

3D animation without a cost!

Reviewed on 2023/11/24

On the whole its a powerful 3d rendering and animation software. For it being free its well worth it for companies on a budget or start ups.

Pros

My team use this software every week for our projects. The fact its free open source software makes it an attractive choice for our team.

Cons

The learning curve is quite steep and interface can be challenging for newbies.

Anton
  • Industry: Media Production

Unimaginable power accompanies extraordinary compexity

Reviewed on 2022/10/27

We needed a showing gadget for our entry level makers, yet we had no additional licenses on some other programming projects for them. We chose to permit them to use Blender taking everything into account, and they undoubtedly cultivated past what we could have done using more standard programming. By and by we are endeavoring to do the change to Blender primarily from Autodesk programs.

Pros

Blender has all the part and limits of any thousand bucks, try level programming projects out there, and For nothing!!! Allowing the illustrating, etching, the use of parametric modules, UVing, invigorating and conveying, without changing to another program.

Cons

The grandiose assumption to ingest data. You should get some help here by basically chasing after an online course. The instrument stash is huge and gadget handiness has all the earmarks of being a piece unconventional. There in like manner give off an impression of being as fair number of configuration changes with each new transformation - for the potential gain, at last - yet requiring steady progressing moreover. I at times think it is best used for learning and experimentation and not such a lot for the normal person's ordinary creation.

Balazs
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Blender for architectural visualization

Reviewed on 2022/05/30

We doing architectural and product visualization, blender is excelent choise for these

Pros

We can create soo beautiful visualizations with blender including drone videos with embedded buildings / urban 3D models

Cons

A bit difficult for beginners, but there are thousands of tutorial videos, so everybady can learn easily and free

SketchUp

Reasons for Choosing Blender

Better value for money :)

3ds Max

Reasons for Switching to Blender

Blender have more features including camera tracing and so good integrated render engine and compositor
Tony
  • Industry: Design

Free 3D software that achieved industry standard level.

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

It is an essential part for my 3D career and I love that this software is free so it would be available to everyone who is interested in learning 3D. My overall experience has been good so far and I look forward to work with this software more for my projects.

Pros

I like the powerful tools for 3D modelling, 3D sculpting and the animation feature. The fact that this software is totally free made me love it more than any other software like 3Ds Max or Maya. The tools bundled with the software can help me create anything I want in 3D environment, the software is easy to learn and work as well.

Cons

There are some limited options compare to paid license software like 3Ds Max and Maya and sometimes when I'm working with a project, there is a bug that can crash the program but I'm careful person and always save my work frequently so that is not a big deal for me.

3ds Max

Reasons for Switching to Blender

Because Blender is free and easy to learn and use.
Sajjan

MY Review on Blender

Reviewed on 2021/01/08

Blender is so cool too with may functionalities like of paid tool. Rally loved it.

Pros

Blender is a free software and can perform incredible functions. The functionalities of blender includes 3D modelling, texturing, rendering, UV unwrapping, sculpting, fluid simulation, smoke simulation, particle simulation and may more to go. Using these functionalities one can make interactive 3D applications and develop video games. The system has keyboard shortcut for all the functions which saves time. The biggest advantage of this software is it has addons which makes the software modular.

Cons

Blender has many features and it takes long time to learn and understand those features. It takes time to learn and become a quick user otherwise you have to memorize multiple functionalities. The toolbars and other layouts can be customized according to user. The new user may not have idea and cam make them uncomfortable.

lwazi
  • Industry: Animation

Blender"if you looking for a free source anim software then blender is your all in one

Reviewed on 2021/01/01

Help creat both 2D and 3D in the same program which makes is easy,avoiding switching programs all the time.

Pros

Blender let's you create 2D and 3D animation.
It easy to you if your familiar with the animation world.if your looking for a software that let's you do animation convenient these is the one.

Cons

It was slow on my pc.but I had assistance with their software team.and they help me out it was my PC speed so now everything is running smoothly.

Ray
Ray
  • Used for 1+ year

Powerful open source 3-D graphics software and editor that rivals commercially available tools

Reviewed on 2018/08/31

Overall, Blender is a very powerful tool, that can be used for video editing. However, because it is designed to be a 3-D graphics tool which also has video capabilities, it is not the easiest tool to use. I continue to remain intrigued by Blender and in a year or two will revisit it's video editing workflow.

Pros

Blender is used by professionals around the world. Because it is open source and has such wide usage and effort behind its development, it is very unlikely that Blender will ever fade away. Using Blender for your projects ensures long-term access to your files and you'll accumulate skills that will be useful well into the future.

I used Blender only for video editing so I cannot comment on its other features.

Strong video editing capabilities - it is relatively easy to import footage and to make basic cuts, move footage, and add basic fades and transitions.

To simplify the import of video clips, install the Kinoraw Tools addon.
It offers a good way to import media clips through the file browser. The Kinoraw tool will allow you to import all files in the browser, or

This plugin adds features that allow the user to select large numbers of small clips and snap the selection to a designated clip. It also allows selection by type of clip so its easy to grab all of the sound clips to export to an audio editor. The plugin also includes an "inverse" selector to select everything except the currently selected clip. The Kinoraw tool also includes a convenient fade-in fade-out tool accessible in the Strip menu option

Cons

After reading and watching many tutorials on using Blender for video editing, I hoped to rely on Blender exclusively for video creation.
While Blender indeed offers powerful video editing features, the average person will not find it easy to use.

Blender cannot automatically detect resolution and frame rates so if you have video from different cameras and wish to edit these different resolutions files in the timeline in Blender, you will encounter numerous problems. Software should be able to detect these various settings automatically and make necessary adjustments or at the very least, warn the user that the clips are incompatible and guide the user through various fixes.

There were too many other problems with trying to edit a 2 hour film and I eventually gave up and moved to the open-source video editor Kdenlive.

Regardless of my experience, many users in fact rely on Blender for video editing and enjoy the process. Maybe you will find it to be the best tool for you.

Mphatso
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Blender 2018 Review

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

I use blender a lot in my work at College to make online products to help provide features to the patrons in our makerspace to help them find tools and crafting items quickly. Most recently, i used blender to make a 3D map of the space and it served my purposes extremely well because of the ease of implementation especially for low poly models and also the different lighting options that allowed me to make the final render output as close to the overall aesthetic of the makerspace as possible. It is an amazing product and it is always fun to use and play around with the hundreds of different options to get a final result that over delivers on quality.

Pros

I started using blender when i was about 13 years old. It was one of my first experiences in 3d rendering and animation and i was immediately struck by all the things you could do and all the amazing things you could. In its latest iteration, i love the extreme ease of use as well as how fast and easy it is to switch between special tools and be able to see all my options in a very uncultured but intuitive space. It also has a huge amount of packages and to allow a user to do work ranging from paper craft model preparation to Virtual Reality Scene creation in minutes. Right now i use it for 3D printing and VR experiences and especially love the packages that help me make sites like this: https://enter-tech-room.glitch.me/ . I also love most the different types of 3D file formats you can export and import and how you can package everything (animations, textures and skeletons) into single compact files like glb files which are especially useful for VR products.

Cons

Blender's large library of packages and open source nature can be both great but also very overwhelming. If you are a beginner there is so much you need to learn to be able to make any descent 3D models or satisfactorily edit a model you found elsewhere and make it ready for use in another system. The huge number of tools it has can also be pretty intimidating and if you don't want to go 100% into 3D design can seem like a waste of time to use because they require a lot of practice given how precise they are. This was the biggest barrier for me especially before the latest release that has made it seem a lot more user friendly but it still has a quite a fair barrier to entry.

Joel

Blender: 3D Modeling and Animation Resource

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

I am an avid user of Blender. I have utilized this program to create 3D animations for clients and to craft animated characters for game design projects. Since 2013 I have used this program for all of my 3D modeling needs.

Pros

Blender is a program with a library of tools to engage in several fields of 3D modeling.

It allows users to create basic models from scratch utilizing vertices, faces and edges. If users want to start with a foundation they can use existing shapes such as cubes, spheres and cylinders. Each shape is malleable allowing for the adjustment of vertex count, edge count and dimensions and orientation.

Users can also create 3D animations. Through versatile tools users can create simple motions or complex cinematic moments that feature fully rigged humanoid characters.

Additionally Blender allows users to manipulate the topology of their models. Through the use of various brushes available, users can generate textures and add additional form and shape to their models.

Blender can generate file formats compatible with other programs including .OBJ and .FBX.

Cons

The interface is difficult at the beginning to navigate. Blender however relies on several hot keys so it becomes easier to use with a few key strokes. The program is easily customizable and their are several tutorials available to assist in learning.

An additional issue I encountered was that textures sometimes did not appear on my project. I was able to fix this issue by reverting back to an old save.

Anthony

Best 3D Software for beginners

Reviewed on 2023/05/27

I still find Blender the best 3D software that I am currently using.It is free, with hundreds of free tutorial, very organized interface and easy to use, complete software where you can do your work from A to Z, and a great community to discuss your projects with.On the other side, some bugs still need fixing in Blender but the good news is that the software is constantly updating and improving his features.

Pros

I have been using blender for more than 3 years now, whether in my job or my personal projects. I find Blender one of the best 3D softwares available at the moment, and that is for many reasons:First, the software is free for anyone to download and start creating in minutes.Being for free with a huge amount of free tutorials online makes it the best software for anyone trying to learn or start a career in 3D.The interface is very easy and straight forward, and will help you along all the process, from modeling to unwrapping, texturing, rigging, animating and even compositing before you render.The built-in render engines are also strong and can do the job no matter how much details you're aiming for in your render.I totally recommend Blender for anyone who's working on 3D projects whether he is a beginner or a professional.

Cons

There is not much I did not like about Blender.Like any other 3D software, Blender has a chance that it will crash during your work, but that is the case in any design software.A specific issue I faced is while creating line art for my models in rendering. The feature works pretty good on non-animated objects, but when your models are animated, the feature gets harder to control, and not giving the desired results at each frame which will need manual fixing to achieve your desired result.

Ralph
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Maya and 3DS users? Please read about an amazing 3D model/animate/print alternative

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

Our initial interest with Blender was sparked by its price: free. Autodesk's fee structures are not too bad if you are a power user, but the cost of having software seats for employees while they are learning is really a pain... so we started exploring Blender.

Pretty quickly we discovered that it offers what we needed from the Autodesk products and more. We have come to appreciate the drag-and-drop compatibility with the Unity game engine, and we use it extensively for 3D printing. I think it makes for an easier and quicker ROI to get employees started with Blender -- mostly to see which of them are able and interested in attacking the learning curve. The fact that Blender is free is no longer the primary attraction to us, but it certainly allows us to work with new employees and with contractors around the world who appreciate the same attributes.

Pros

Blender is an absolute Swiss Army knife for 3D modeling, animation, painting and video compositing/editing. It is free, and open source. After experience with Maya and 3DS -- which we admittedly liked very much -- we have moved to Blender exclusively because of its awesome selection of tools and add-ons. We use it for creating animations, 2D art, sculptures and 3D printed items.

Cons

About my 3-stars rating for ease of use: None of the 3D modeling and animation applications are easy to use if you do not have a background in those disciplines. I consider Blender to be 5-star ease of use... but on your first day with it, you will be confused.

Fortunately, there are lots of tutorial videos on Youtube, and from Blender. Blender has a relatively regular update cycle, so you will always want to look for tutorials based on the version you are using.

Ayesh

Blender for Software Developments

Reviewed on 2020/08/12

Overall Blender is a good software to any one who willing to start to do 3D desinig works and the people like me who looking a free software to do your small 3D desinig and animation work.Highly recommend it is worth every second which you spent with it.

Pros

One of the best open source software ever I used is the Blender.I used blender for create some animations to my on going mobile app development project and it is fantastic. I am not mainly doing animation 3D modeling stuff therefore I havent enough budget to buy a software to do my desinigs.And I also need a software which I can learn it quickly and do my desinigs easily.So I found Blender.It is free and also easy to adapt to it and work with it.I need only watch few youtube video tutorials to get learn the Blender.And It has huge fanbase and community so if you are in any trouble with it, you can get help very easily.Blender has lot of pre built desinigs,projects,3D models and plugins like other fameous high end desinig softwares. So you can use those to do your project much easier.At first I thought Blender is not as functional like other high end fameous softwares.But I was wrong.It can perform same as the any payable software in its catogaery even it is a open source software.I highly recommend it for any one who looking a 3D modeling software in free.

Cons

Blender is a good open source software but it has some bugs issues and those are not fixed in frequently.Developer team has done a great job in Blender but they must focus on fixing those bugs before release it. And also you have to get lot of plugins to reveal the maximum functionality of the blender and some of them are payable and those can be expensive .So I wish these functionalities must be built in to the original software. Because of that I do not recommend it for professional high end desinig works.The software can use to do small project but I am shuwer it not suitable to do high end stuff.It can do many of stuff but it is not reliable for professional works.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Amazingly powerful

Reviewed on 2021/03/13

Blender has been amazing as my software for 3D animations. The power that it offers while remaining completely free is excellent.

Pros

Coming off of a trial of the expensive 3DS Max software, I was amazed at how fully-featured and - in some ways - better Blender was as a free 3D modeling and animation software.

The biggest pro of Blender is that it is free and open-source. Despite this, Blender receives constant and game-changing updates. Blender's complete UI overhaul and introduction of the Cycles renderer are 2 recent examples. This makes me very confident in the software, as I know it won't become outdated any time soon.

Cons

Blender has a completely different methodology for adding and manipulating objects compared to Autodesk Maya/3DS Max, SFM, etc. This isn't necessarily bad - you can get used to it, and it works fine. However, I do wish there was a preset that made Blender perform more like Autodesk or SFM.

I also wish the 3D cursor could be improved, as it currently feels very finicky to position and unintuitive. Maybe a preview window or some distance information can be relayed to demonstrate where the 3D cursor is relative to my curretn viewport.

Ali
Ali

Blender is the best Free Open source 3D modeling software

Reviewed on 2022/09/30

I love Blender, whenever i use it, i keep wondering how come all this power is free. and appreciate all the people who worked on it and made it possible.

Pros

Blender is a free open source software, it allows anyone to get started with 3D design and modeling very easily without paying anything, other 3D design and modeling software are very expensive.

the fact that Blender is open source it make it evolve very fast and it's widely used in big projects and competes with other big names in the market of 3D design software.

There are so many tutorials about blender which will help anyone to get started and learn how to use it
very easily. Also blender is a huge software and it covers alot of aspects of 3D modeling and design.
But be careful if you are going to use Blender you will need to decide what you need to use it for exactly
because since blender covers alot of different 3d fields it's so huge no can know everything that blender
can do. there are also many techniques and tools you can use to accomplish the same design or project.

so to learn and use blender very easily you should focus on accomplishing your task and getting the job
done, and avoid wasting your time trying to learn all the ways possible to do the same thing.
as long as there is a possible way to get a design done then just do it and move on.

Cons

Blender may seem very complicated and huge to new users, but it's easy to use once you start learning how to use it.

Stacey
  • Industry: Computer Games

Production quality rendering and modeling for free.

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Blender works well for me building 3d models for using in Unity game development. Plugins are available with support direct export from Blender to Unity, handling model conversion and scaling for you. Extensions are simple to install and greatly expand the functionality of the software. I have worked with various 3D modeling software since the early 90's. This is hands-down the best free 3D modeling and rendering package available.

Pros

The already intuitive interface has matured over the life of this product. Sitting down with Blender after using other products entails a learning curve, but the differences are logical and functional. Support for 3rd party extensions allows for more advanced modeling and rendering supporting Production quality work an a small budget. While there are extensions for sale for use with Blender, there is also a large collection of free extensions, improving modeling, simplying complex operations on models. Support via website tutorials, online documentation as well as a large number of YouTube tutorials make learning the software extremely simple and straight forward. If you want to do something in Blender, chances are someone has documented how to do it.

Cons

The learning curve is initially very difficult The interface is setup in a logical fashion but it is different enough from other 3d modeling software that you really need to take some time initially learning basic operations. Once you have basic operations and hotkeys under control, the software becomes much easier to use.

Arianna
Arianna
  • Industry: Fine Art

One of the best free 3D modeling softwares in the world today

Reviewed on 2018/09/29

This is the 3D modeling program I use. I use it with a texturing software and a rendering software and sell my 3D models I make with it. It has helped me grow my business of making 3D props for game developers.

Pros

The thing I like most if the ease of use after fully understanding what everything does. It looks intimidating and complicated if you're a new user of blender, but after looking at a few tutorials of what you want to do in it, whether it be animation, character modeling, prop modeling, whatever it may be, it becomes easier to do and to understand. You do have to learn a little bit on your own, but as far as I have been using it, since 2015, I haven't ran into anything I can't do without a little bit of googling.

Cons

The thing I liked least about this software when starting out was, as I said in the pros, it is intimidating to look at when being a new user of the software. It stressed me out when I didn't know where to begin, however, this was easy to get over with some googling and a little bit of tutorials that didn't cost me a lot of time, for a big payout after I learned the software.

Taha
  • Industry: Design

Great software , 0.1% issue .

Reviewed on 2022/06/12

You can make money from Blender after spending some lone time using it , you can design houses for people there is many websites which provides that service , and you will really just enjoy creating stuff maybe you will sell some but if you didnt you won’t feel bad about it.

Pros

Blender’s most attractive features is the user interface i mean when i first opened the software i was surprised how organized it is . It’s so easy to use i promise you will get used to it the first 3 days . I use it for almost everything i got addicted honestly everything i imagine i go into blender and just start making things up . Great product .

Cons

The software is great , you may face some issues during updating , you may like some update maybe you will hate it but i recommend you stick with one version unless the other version has more useful features which rarely happens . The customer services is good but not great you may wait a fee days till you get the answer . The in-software probleme is what i got from experience the rendering process is too much demanding some times my pc got turned off while rendering , this is why I recommend using a nvidia gpu . Aside from that the software is nearly perfect compared to others.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Blender is pretty much my go-to software when it comes to creating 3D projects, 2D Art,...

Reviewed on 2022/10/26

Ever wondered what a graphic designer does? It's like creating a magic trick. I used to design things for a living and for the past 10 years I've seen a bunch of changes in the industry. Software has come and gone, and I've been around for all the good ones. At the start of my career, I wasn't making enough money to justify investing in software, so I picked up a copy of Blender and I was really happy with it.

Pros

If you're looking for an easier to use, and constantly improving 3D modeling software for free, Blender is the one for you. I know this, because I just tried it out, and all I can say is I'm impressed! With so many free software options out there, I can't imagine why anyone would use Blender over others! From its high quality, to the constant improvements and updates, Blender has me hooked. I never struggle with the software. The community is the best, and I love that it is always trying to stay ahead of the game. Keep up the good work, Blender devs!

Cons

It is tough to embrace the way it works, so it takes a long time to get used to and learn to work in it. The latest versions go to improve this by making the intuitive and logical interface better and better. It is very power hungry and drains my laptop battery very fast. It is not optimized for portable devices. Should be run on desktop computers only as it heats up the system.

Sean
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Blender, the best 3d modeling software on the market!

Reviewed on 2019/06/06

I started using Blender at home in my personal time several years ago. I've since began working to implement its use into my job. Modeling things for posters that need to be created, modeling little characters for the news letters, things like that. Sure, maybe I put more time into it than its worth for those projects but I'm gaining more and more experience with a program I absolutely love. I cannot say enough good things about Blender. It's really been an inspiration in my life.

Pros

- Blender is free...you'd have to pay literally hundreds of dollars for anything even remotely close to Blender.
- Once you learn a few hot key commands and are able to wrap your head around visualizing something in a 3D spacial environment...the world is yours.
- I cant count the number of blender Tutorial channels on YouTube. Shutout to Blend Guru!! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] (I think his name is) has the best tutorials.
- So many extensions and plugins available
- Did I mention its free?

Cons

- This is one of the few programs I really can't find fault with.

Alexander
  • Industry: Entertainment

Blender: 3D and beyond

Reviewed on 2023/09/13

Been using this software for nearly 8+ years, and it's been incredible update after update. In my experience, the features are so endless that the learning experience is always rewarding in it's rediscoverability. Many things can be achieved, and they can be done usually in different approaches. You are not tied to only one way of doing things. From what I see, updates are always being released and the development for this program is steady.

Pros

All kinds of tools, from sculpting to texturing, to video editing, to 2D animation, to modeling. Blender has them all! It supports add-ons and Python scripting. It has a great rendering engine for Path-Tracing, Cycles, and another one called EEVEE for real-time 3D visualization. The software is really advanced and allows a lot of freedom.

Cons

Can be hard for beginners, has a steep learning-curve. 2D with Grease Pencil could be improved and developed further, Video Editing as well. Although they aren't part of the core functionality, they are helpful and nice to have indeed, but it is important to note the strengths of this program are its 3D features.

Ben

Blender is a superb starting point for any artist to learn 3D modeling and animation

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

Blender is a glimpse of what creative people can do when they really care and work together. This software is free, which is amazing considering the incredible power it unleashes for the user. That is, by far, the greatest positive aspect of Blender. Using it involves no risk, no cost, and minimal commitment (no need to register a license).

Yet, despite being free, Blender is incredible. Blender is nearly as capable as any competing products, yet receives so many updates, and so frequently, that the race for feature parity moves along at a break neck speed. So, even if it is not as polished as Autodesk or Maxon software, it's always getting better.

It also cannot be understated how valuable the user community is. Any new feature, change, or patch that is issued has tons of forum posts, video tutorials, and feedback. If a new user has a question about anything, it is almost guaranteed that someone else has asked the same thing and made a guide.

In short, Blender is free, powerful, and has an awesome community.

Cons

The learning curve for Blender is pretty high, especially for those new to 3d modeling and animation. Because Blender is open source, it is not as slick or smooth as competing products, but that's only a problem if you have used other software.

It can also be difficult to achieve completely stable/balanced performance out of Blender without a pretty powerful computer. That said, this just comes with the territory. 3D animation is computationally taxing.

It's difficult to complain about free software that already does so much.

Gal
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Benefits and struggles of blender

Reviewed on 2022/02/28

Pros

Blender allows you to choose the approach to your process by choosing to work from vertices, edges and faces but also from edit mode, sculpt mode and modifyers. This means blender has one of the most varied modelling methods and virtually no limitations to what you can model. It is completely free, easy to install and there are countless tutorials (both from blender itself and the community).
A feature that stands out is the Grease pencil, allowing you to create 2.5 D drawings and animations, and even giving the drawing different materials, expanding the possibilities of your creation

Cons

Learning how to use blender (specially modifyers and creating custom materials) is not beginner friendly. fortunately, there are countless tutorials online so if you have dedication, you can learn how to master this software