Skyward Student Management Suite Reviews

Skyward Student Management Suite

Write a Review!
Software for managing school operations, students, and staff

4.1/5
4.2/5
3.9/5
4.1/5

Skyward

Reviewed on 2020/02/05

Overall, I have had a great experience. I am able to easily modify the grading program to fit my needs.

Pros

This is a really easy program to use for grading students. I also use the program to create online tests.

Cons

I can make seating charts with this program, but it does not allow me to print them off as a full page. I have had out IT guy look at this, but we cannot figure out how to do it.

Barb

One stop shop for your student educational needs

Reviewed on 2022/02/28

The best feature to me is that everything is in one place! Having multiple systems to manage makes data tracking much more difficult. One system, Skyward, allows our district the ability to have our student data more readily available.

Pros

I have been using Skyward Student Information System for the past 25 years. We have slowly added other features to our portfolio. The Student Services system has worked well for assistance with IEPs for our special education students. Having the ability to track information for due dates, form status, etc. has been wonderful. The ability to have it tied to the student database is terrific because if a family moves, the addresses are automatically reflected in the special education areas. We have use the Enrollment feature for the past 5 years now and it has saved countless hours for staff by allowing them to verify information, instead of having to decipher information and enter it into the system. Parents are able to enroll at any time of the day because it is completed through our website, and doesn't require the family having to find the time to come to the school to enroll. Food Service allows a wanding message to be added for those that have allergies or other health issues, which assists the workers when the students come through the line. With Fee Management and Food Service, parents are able to pay fees or add money to their food service account through Family Access. There are many great features about this product and we are very pleased with the product.

Cons

The 504 Accommodation Plan area is a little cumbersome and doesn't flow quite as nicely as the special education model does, but there are not as clear cut state requirements so product development does not work the same.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review Barb, and for being such a strong advocate for Skyward. We love hearing from all of our customers, but it's especially great when comments come from long-time customers like you!

Noel

Skyward dog water

Reviewed on 2023/12/07

Pros

It has lots of features and ships with a mobile app and website. It also has a domain and total control of all data.

Cons

Horrible UI, bad graphics and design, slow and clunky, features that just don’t work, overpriced

PowerSchool

Response from Skyward

We’re sorry to hear you are not enjoying Skyward. Many people find using our resources, like the Family and Employee Access Toolkits and Professional Development Center, to be a helpful way to learn the system and get more value from it.

Carlos
Carlos

Skyward School Management Review

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

Skyward is a fantastic program and quite simply I cannot imagine doing my job without it. It helps with decision making both at the school and admin level, giving decision-makers the data they need to get the job done.

Pros

*Skyward has an excellent report making system and it's practically limited by the creativity of the user. I have not experienced a case where there was not a report created for something I needed. Best of all reports can be shared by other users and you can learn a lot by how others use their reports.

*Improve business process agility.

*Enhanced decision making.

*Surprisingly easy to teach.

Cons

Skyward has a very high learning curve. I would not recommend someone start using it without at least a couple of hours of training. I received 10 before starting it on the job and that was just scratching the surface. It's a complex program and users should be adequately trained for it. Managers need to know that it's not something can be self-taught. There are training manuals for it but it's best learned when trained by experience users.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for the great comments Carlos. We hear from a lot of customers who share your views on the value of our reports. As for the learning curve, we agree that training is critical to getting the most from Skyward and many customers tell us the investment they made in PD made their move to Skyward much smoother.

Signe
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Easy to track students' grades

Reviewed on 2021/05/07

Skyward makes it very easy for parents to oversee their children's attendance and grades, access their schedules, receive announcements from the school, etc. It's a wonderful portal that helps parents to monitor their kids' education and take proactive steps to stay involved.

Pros

Skyward makes it easy for parents to track their kids' attendance and grades. This has been especially important during the pandemic because the kids have been learning from home for more than a year. When my stepdaughter started slacking off and not logging in to her synchronous classes, we found out very quickly by tracking her attendance through Skyward. This allowed us to address the issue right away, before she missed tons of class and fell really far behind. Similarly, it is easy to see the kids' grades. I know right away if assignments are missing, if they turn in incomplete work, or if they don't do well on a project/test/homework. That way, we can work with them to improve their grades right away rather than waiting until they've fallen so far behind that they can't bring their grades up.

Cons

It isn't always intuitive to use. When you click on "Gradebook," you get an error message that says "Not available when viewing all students." The first time I logged in, I had a hard time figuring out how to view the kids' grades. The menu to select a specific student is hidden at the top of the screen, whereas all the other menus are on the left. It took me forever to find it. Once you figure it out, it's easy -- but the first time, I struggled when trying to access grades.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for your feedback on how Skyward is helping you navigate your stepdaughter's academic progress throughout the pandemic.

William

Skyward Review

Reviewed on 2020/12/11

My overall experience with Skyward has been positive. It is a great tool to enter the students's grades. It is also an easy form to communicate with mass amounts of students and their parents (group emails, etc.). Also the academic feedback it provides is very helpful.

Pros

I love the ease in being able to create categories and assignments with this software.

Cons

There are some glitches in the software. For example, in regards to attendance, it is hard for us teachers to adjust the attendance after they have been entered as absent in first period, but they show up later in third period. If they are at school during second period, but are "tardy" to third period, I can't enter their tardy to that particular period because initially they were counted as absent by their first period teacher. This can be problematic at times. The only person at our school that can adjust this would be the secretary. Although this does not happen often, it is a glitch that should be looked into.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the review William. So good to see Skyward is helping to make your life easier. I'll be sure to pass along your comment regarding attendance to our product management team.

Jacque
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Long-Time User

Reviewed on 2017/01/16

I have used Skyward for many years, so I have seen it evolve. I will tell you this; you get what you pay for. Skyward is top-of-the-line! It will not always be the least expensive software, but it is more than worth the cost!! The software definitely helps customers work smarter not harder. With many of us wearing different hats, we need to find all of the time-saving opportunities we can; Skyward makes that happen! Skyward has many ways to get to the same information, so the ease of use is really in the end-user's hands. There is a plethora of shortcuts that Skyward has provided for the end-user, so no need to get bogged down trying to find programs/areas. Their Customer Service is top-notch. I have never had an issue that was not solved in a timely manner. They are wonderful! I could go on and on where Skyward is concerned. I not only love the software, but I like that the fact that Cliff King and the entire company has a focus on nothing but schools. They are truly concerned about the customer feedback, and they use that to make the software better (although I think it's pretty close to perfect now)!

Pros

The flexibility and multiple ways to achieve the end results we are looking for.

Cons

None!

Response from Skyward

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jacque, and congratulations on your well-deserved recognition as a Leader in Excellence for 2017!

Keith

East Allen County Schools, Indiana Skyward Qmlative Review

Reviewed on 2022/10/19

Excellent 2.5 years in. Good training, good support, great tool, and it does everything we need the SIS to do.

Pros

Skyward does a good job of meeting teachers needs, making grading and attendance easy, and simply making teachers' jobs easier.

Cons

Adding columns or data within a screen is easy to do (2 clicks to start), but the process of choosing the correct data you want is a rabbit hole. There is SO MUCH data in the database, that you need to know an exact pathway in order to add the correct data to a screen.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments Keith. It's great to hear that we are meeting the needs of the teachers at East Allen County Schools and we appreciate your continued partnership with us.

DENA

EXCELLENT SCHOOL SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

We have to keep detailed records on everything from students to the financial. This software does it all. It allows multiple people to see the same data and manipulate it, all while having secure separate log-ins. It keeps all the data, runs all reports and keeps logs of who has done what and when.

Pros

Skyward keeps all of the records and any information that you can possibly want to report, accessible at your fingertips.

Cons

The annual cost is a little much, not sure how it compares to other school softwares. It takes some training to use. If you know computers and how they work, it will be a snap. I did not find it very intuitive.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the review Dena. We are always looking for ways to make our software more intuitive. If you haven't already done so, we encourage you to sign up for our User Research Panel so you can have more input on the future development of our products. If interested, check out the Support area of our website for more details. Thanks again!

Woody
Woody

From a parents point of view, it's extremely frustrating

Reviewed on 2023/03/10

Speaking strictly as a parent of a middle schooler, every time I log on to Skyward, I feel like I'm stepping back to the 1970s. The interface is completely unintuitive. The prompts confusing. The mobile app is even less forgiving than the online app, and the online app has me tied up in knots. Even the windows don't resize properly, fer heaven's sake. I honestly wonder if the product design is frozen at a pre-online point in time.

Pros

Nice to have everything in one place, but....

Cons

... it's very difficult to use. Unnecessarily so.

Response from Skyward

In reading your review, Woody, we are pretty sure your school is not using the latest version of Skyward (Qmlativ). Our newest platform was introduced a couple years ago and we are in the process of getting customers moved over as quickly as possible, however with 2500+ customers it's a large undertaking. Feedback from customers on Qmlativ has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Andrew

Okay as a standalone

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

It is the only system I have used during my career, while many features are nice, there seem to be many more that are outdated and overly complicated.

Pros

Updates to student grades happens instantly, if I change a student's grade, as soon as I save it, they can see it on their end. Custom reports are also very useful, being able to limit the information to only what I want on the report is helpful.

Cons

It does not integrate with anything. It is extremely difficult to import grades from any other program or online curriculum/grading system. We are a google school and there is supposed to be a way to get GoogleClassroom grades in Skyward, but no teacher as been able to make it work yet. Grades must be manually moved from Google to Skyward, which doesn't take long, but adds up over the course of multiple assignments and hundreds of students.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for the review and positive comments about grades and custom reports Andrew. You may want to check out the webinar we recently did on our Google Classroom integration. You should be able to find a recording of that webinar on Skydoc.

Dawn

Train your staff in Skyward

Reviewed on 2021/03/27

Skyward I am sure has many functions that I have not been trained to used. I feel good software should be user friendly and somewhat intuitive; Skyward is not.

Pros

I like that I can mark all students present with one click. You can set up seating chart attendance with or without pictures. It can average grades for you. You can see if parents have accessed their child's profiles.

Cons

This is not user friendly and requires training. If staff is not trained (I was not) it leads to a great deal of frustration.

Response from Skyward

Dawn, the timing of your review couldn't have come at a better time. We are hosting a free remote User Group on April 26-30 with all kinds of sessions available to maximize your Skyward knowledge. If you go to our website and click on the Events tap you should be able to find it. There are also resources available at www.skyward.com/learnskyward that should help you. Thanks for your feedback.

Scott

Responsive company with top notch software

Reviewed on 2017/01/20

Skyward has been our SIS for 10 years now and while many districts have switched SIS systems every few years, we have remained happy customers. The main reason for this happiness? The company is very responsive to the input from their customers. Because of being responsive to that input, Skyward has been able to create an extremely flexible system that allows for many different scenarios for how schools operate. The future is bright, and we know even more great things are coming from the company.

Pros

Flexibility and the frequency of updates to the software

Cons

Navigation can be burdensome for those who have system-wide security access. This is just due to the amount of features that are available, but not much of a problem for end users as they only have access to what they actually need.

Response from Skyward

Thanks so much, Scott! We promise not to settle for mediocrity in anything and we're thankful for all the insights from you and the rest of the Skyward community.

Krista

Easy for teachers to use!

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

I have used Skyward for both student management and employee access for personal work data. It makes day today task easier and I like having access to important information when needed.

Pros

I like how Skyward makes everyday tasks like taking attendance easy or checking attendance history. I also like the availability to gather student information from their profiles when needed.

Cons

I don’t like how the app version doesn’t allow you to view detailed information like the computer software does. I wish the two mirrored each other better.

Response from Skyward

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us Krista. We take great pride in the role users play in the evolution of our products. If you haven't done so already, I urge you to consider signing up for our User Research Panel which you can access from the Support area of our website.

Crystal

I am parent user for this program and I find it to be easy to use and easy to understand.

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

I like that I can choose how I want my screen to look and can choose the information presented. I am able to toggle between all of the different pages easily and efficiently. I can access my child's information st the click of a finger. Additionally, I can access pertinent school and district information. I prefer this program to PowerSchool, as a parent user. I have access to more information faster and easier.

Cons

I have had no real problems with this program so far. It has served my needs as a parent. I only struggled with the initial login, due to a bit of s glitch in the system, but that was all worked out.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review, Crystal. We're so happy you are enjoying a better experience with Skyward!

Kolby
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

I LOVE SKYWARD

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Overall, when my children graduate, I will have a hard time adjusting to not using it anymore. It has kept me on top of their education and I will recommend that all parents who have access please use it.

Pros

I love everything about Skyward. My school district has everything linked and when teachers use it to its full potential it is helpful to a parent that has multiple students to check on and communicate updates about. It has been the one thing that has kept me in contact with teachers over the years of using it.

Cons

There are few if any things I do not like about the software. I appreciate that it can be easily navigated.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the kind words Kolby. It's always great to hear directly from parents who use Skyward.

Kate

Excellent program for student management

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

I am not the secretary at our school, so I don't get into as much detail with this software as she does, however I do use Skyward on a daily basis. For the information I need about students, this program works very well for me. I am pleased with the organization of information.

Pros

The organization of this software is something I really like. I can get on the program without having too much user knowledge and find what I am looking for. I think it has a wonderful array of information options for our students' profiles. This is a user friendly software.

Cons

I use this software every day and for the level of use, I don't have any negative issues.

Jeffrey
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Skyward is a very easy and comprehensive system for school districts.

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

It took an old outdated system that was previously used and brought the school district back into the modern age.

Pros

There is a lot that can be accomplished through Skyward. You can track students, finance, and human resource functions. Each module is very easy to use and they are willing to work with you to assist in making changes and upgrades to their products.

Cons

Sometimes the functionality is a little rough, but the programmers have been making constant upgrades to the system and new updates come out all the time.

Response from Skyward

Thanks so much, Jeffrey. We appreciate your advocacy and promise to keep working toward a better experience every time.

Kelly

Used for Grades and Attendance

Reviewed on 2020/09/21

Overall experience has been pleasant but definitely a learning curve.

Overall experience has been pleasant but definitely a learning curve.

Pros

This software is mostly just used for grades and attendance. We also use it for communicating with parents. It is a nice way to store all of the student information that is eventually uploaded to SIS for the state.

Cons

This software takes awhile to learn how to use effectively. Some parts like sending emails to groups of people can sometimes be difficult to manage.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts Kelly. Hope your school year is off to a good start.

Megan

Skyward in the Classroom

Reviewed on 2018/12/09

I have used Skyward for three years and I think it's unexpectedly been unavailable less than five times and it is restored quickly. It syncs with our online platform which helps with grading.

Pros

Skyward is organized and user friendly. I also like how there is an app available that allows teachers to enter grades on their cell phone (I am an Apple user). Skyward has been dependable and my middle school students and their parents can navigate it.

Cons

Skyward will open a new window when taking attendance and entering grades which can be frustrating at times.

Nolan

A Teacher's Review of Student Management by Skyward

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

Overall, the experience that I have had has been very positive. I was able to figure out most issues within a matter of a minute or two and, when I had a bigger issue, customer support was able to fix it fairly quick.

Pros

Being able to easily manage assignments and attendance is extremely valuable to any teacher. Being able to easily pick up on the software that your school corporation is using is even better.

Cons

There are some confusing aspects at first but, with a little use, the average person will figure out most details with ease.

Michael

Skyward in the Classroom

Reviewed on 2020/02/29

Skyward was reliable and fairly easy to use for the day to day functions of a classroom.

Pros

I enjoyed the simplicity of everyday use for attendance and entering grades. I also enjoyed the connectivity from administrators to teachers.

Cons

I didn’t enjoy the complexity of grades for midterms and report cards. It took a while to enter all comments and run the report.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate your feedback Michael. Making sure Skyward is easy to use remains a top priority with our product team.

christina

Perfect for school

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

I use this everyday to help with looking into kids programs. Also it makes it nice to get information to the whole school if needed and easy for parents to acess as well.

Pros

I use this everyday. I love that you can acess so much information and set it to view as you want to. I like that it is so easy to use.

Cons

I see that it may be confusing for one that is not computer savvy. There is a lot that you can do with this program that can be overwhelming.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for your review Christina. It's always great to hear directly from educators who are using Skyward to save time and access the information you need to help your students excel in the classroom.

Kimberly
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

teacher use

Reviewed on 2020/02/09

I really like that when I enter a PO for Amazon, it links directly and I can order it right away without extra steps.

Pros

I like I can access student information quickly and easily obtain financial information to submit purchase orders.

Cons

Enterring grades is easy, but sometimes it is a little clunky to enter comments because the boxes a little.

Response from Skyward

Thanks Kimberly. We always appreciate hearing how Skyward is helping make the lives of teachers just a little bit easier.

Heta

Student Review

Reviewed on 2022/11/24

Pros

Very easy to use for students and teachers. I love how as a student I am able to see every single detail about my grades and what is submitted and what did not get submitted.

Cons

Through my use of Skyward for high school, I have loved it!

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the review Heta. We're so glad you find Skyward easy to use.