Practice Fusion Reviews

Practice Fusion

Cloud-based electronic health record platform

Sarah
Sarah
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Review of Practice Fusion

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

We have been able to maximize use of the software and save money by not losing revenue.

Pros

Medical billing is made easy by this software. Everything is viewable on one screen and the ease of navigating is great! It allows easy charge entry and payment posting, always showing the balance for everyone to see. Providers able to generate charts with minimal clicks!

Cons

Can be hard to view if you have bad eye sight!

Andrea
  • Used for 6-12 months

Not suitable for Clinical Massage Therapy Practice

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

We were searching for software to keep digital medical records, and also to keep printable SOAP charts for our medical massage therapy patients. There were many extraneous features not applicable to our practice that drove our choice to go to a different software suite.

Pros

The interface is easy to read, landing pages easy to navigate. The colors pop, the menus easy to get through.

Cons

It was not appropriate or useful for our practice. We are a medical massage therapy practice, but we do not take patient vitals, etc.

EHR 24/7 and ClinicSense

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

This software came with the office ally suite, we tried it out for six months and it was not useful. The SOAP charting was useful but the need to navigate through inapplicable menus was wasteful of time.
Ann
  • Industry: Medical Practice

False promises. Poor customer service.

Reviewed on 2021/05/17

The worst part is that they claimed to always be free but then once the company sold, they started to charge. And not only that, when I asked whether I should sign up for a longer term contract, my representative told me (documented in a long email exchange) that I shouldn't and he would know when prices would go up and I would be notified beforehand so I could lock in the current rate. He talked me out of the longer term contract. I have this documented. Now, I received a notice that prices are going up. I have been in communication with a rep at PF [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and sent her copies of the email exchange and she said "I apologize but there is nothing we can do". I asked to speak to a supervisor twice and she has not responded. I just sent my third email. What they could do is honor what was promised to me. I have this exchange in writing! And what horrible customer service-ignoring a request to speak to a supervisor not once but three times.
When you sign up with an EMR, it's not an easy proposition to switch. BEWARE OF PF.

Pros

Easy to start and use.
It was free and I chose it specifically because they advertised that it would "always be free" but that turned out to not be true.

Cons

Unable to put in an automatic reminder to patients to book a follow up appointment one year later.
Unable to easily download medical records when patients or other physicians request them-you have to download one document at a time. It can take 30 minutes plus to download a chart.
Reports are not reliable. Specifically in generating patient lists.
Horrible customer service. Do not stand by their word. Refusal to connect me with a supervisor.
I have been a customer since 2013 and the customer service has continued to decline despite the cost going up.

Renee
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Good value while it was free, now that it will be cpsting per month, per clinician, we will be...

Reviewed on 2018/03/18

It was a good introduction to an EHR for a new and growing practice, when it was free. Now, at the new price point, it is not nearly the same value in comparison to it's competitors who offer integrated billing at the same cost, voice mail reminders, better product support instead of relying mostly on it's user-generated fourums, etc.

Pros

Little lag, reasonably cohesive interface, easy enough to use once you gett over the learning curve.

Cons

Poor support which relies on the Practice Fusion community of users to answer questions for each other, no voice mail reminders to patients, difficult to find correct documentation for MIPS and not notified when info changes.

When Practice Fusion was bought out this year, they sent an email to their customers, promising continued commitment to them; however, when they decided to change their structure to cost per Doc,, per month, including part-timers, there was no email notification, and no pop up on their site to let people know. I found the notice in an innocuous looking box on their dashboard, that was so plain looking I had missed it for two weeks. Apparently, they are giving their long-term customers only 3 months notice to pay full price for their subscription, or lose their functionality. That's not a lot of lead time to make a decision about an EHR or make a change, especially when they haven't even taken steps to inform most of their customer base. No ramp up, no grandfathering, no communication. No new features for paying for the same free product, and you still have to pay extra for integrated billing. At this price point, my group now has many more options for fully supported, versatile products. Sometimes the way that something is done, says a lot about how a company views their customers.

Catherine Chun
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Practice Fusion is a free EHR system with a good user interface and fluid navigation.

Reviewed on 2017/07/31

We are grateful this free EHR, it saves us a lot of money. However, we hope Practice Fusion will provide its own billing system for us, and we are willing to pay for the billing service. As we all know that the billing is the most important part of medical clinic.
Thanks!
Catherine Ye

Pros

1. Providing good features ( Schedule including online booking, Patient demographics, management documents, E Prescription, Insurance and verification, Immunizations, Allergies, Smoking status, Vital sign, customized templates, Referrals, lab order and receiving results, image order and receiving results, Soap Note, Message, Patient portal and MIPS report) for free.
2. Providing free learning center in Practice Fusion EHR system.
3. Providing a free custom service ( with Phone, Email. Message, Online chat).
4. Providing report for regulatory compliance and qualify for CMS incentives.
5. Practice Fusion provides Cloud based EHR system. So, you can access the EHR system at any time from any places including out of county if you have internet access.
6. HIPAA, ICD-10, CPT, HL7 compliance and ONC certified.
7. Practice Fusion EHR system is easy to learn with very good navigation design.
8. Practice Fusion provides some of useful reports ( Patient, Chart notes, Diagnosis Drug interactions, Allergy interaction,
e-Prescription per provider, Medication, Patient lists, Referrals, Appointment, Payer, and Activity feed and audit report).

Cons

1. Practice Fusion has no billing management feature although it can been integrated with other billing software.
2. There is Payer list problems with payer codes, and custom service staffer don't know how to solver the issues.
3. Practice Fusion don't provide our own account manager, we have to explain our issuers each time when we contact customer service representatives.
4. We don't have any communication channel with up level staffer and technical engineer. So, when we have technical or want to have better features, we are lack of connection with Practice Fusion EHR desire team member.
5. Because Practice Fusion is free, the integration with labs and image centers are limited and slower.
6. Practice Fusion doesn't provide onsite help, and there are no regional help centers.
7. Lack of billing feature is a good issue. The processor of integration is completed and have a lot of issues with billing software companies.
8. Because of the billing issue, there is a problem to meet the cost requirement for MIPS from CMC .
9. There is no upper level help staff available in Practice Fusion Customer service.
10. Practice Fusion only provide limited reports. There are no billing and financial Reports. Such as, daily, monthly, yearly receivable and revenue reports.
11. We hope Practice Fusion will provide its own billing system for us, and we are willing to pay for the billing service.

Daniel

Software being managed by morons

Reviewed on 2018/01/20

Make this open source so that providers can add functionality to their system. Retain your revenue through advertising as you are doing, from labs, pharmacy, radiology connectivity but give assess to tweak simple issues. Then you would truly be the leader so sought to be.

Pros

Free, able to get up and running in no time. Web based. runs on both desktop and tablets.free to the provider.

Cons

Simple tweaks that need to be done are completely neglected. Absolutely cannot talk to support. Difficult to have patients register and if you run a walk in clinic which most places are then forget it. Be ready to type in every last digit yourself. They tout integration with labs, pharmacy and radiology but only those integration to make them money and really i do not care, they should be profitable to remain in business but don't make me use to your product and when you have issues they throw it to a " crowd voting system". As a user i had never even realized that a voting system existed and as a busy provider i do not have the time to read through to find some fix i need already reported. How silly and draconian, who ever came up with this idea needs to be fired!. The founder definitely has no more involvement with this software otherwise he would have seen that no support and inability to adapt to simple tweaks leaves a horrible last. DO not use because you will have trained and gotten used to this and then issues would arise as they always do and you are faced with looking for another. No integration with billing software and this is why. A list of billing companies are given as partners but communication is one way. The super bill flows into the billing but no way to know what a patient owes when they return . There are lots of free clearinghouse but PF in their infinite wisdom will not integrate.

michael

Worst E RX system - CLunky beyond belief

Reviewed on 2020/12/22

Pros

Cost cost is great but thats it otherwise its a very clunky system

Cons

The e RX system is unbelievable clunky I have asked over and over to please allow storage of meds that we use repetitively for extraction by a macro . FOr example I have patients in travel med that get the same 4 Rx's over and over . Each time I have to write them all out - Our old system SOAPWARE I could extract these with three key strokes . With practice fusion I am well over 500 key strokes for the 4 meds - multiply this out x 20 patients - you are wasting a ton of time . When sending controlled substances just hit one wrong key on your password and it boots you out of the entire system . YOu have to log back in re extract the patients chart re enter the information . Multiple repetitive screens - YOu enter the directions in one screen it loses them on the next and you have to re enter them - CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

my OLD SYSTEM ALLOWED ONE TO CONSTRUCT CUSTOM macros - you could construct a letter - drop the patients name automatically into drop labs vitals etc etc Want a note for work - construct a macro construct custom questions and boom the letter is done each and evry time - not so with PF - you type up the letter in WORD and save a copy then enter all the demographics each time CLUNKY CLUNKY CLUNKY

Kerri
Kerri

Reasonable EHR Software

Reviewed on 2018/10/26

We use Practice Fusion in multiple Clinical Locations to document patient information. We have services offered aside from our traditional medical services that need to be documented but not in our regular EHR. Practice Fusion is easy to use from scheduling to provider notes and a great tool for small clinics or clinics where multiple locations need a reasonable software.

Pros

It was free and even though it is now paid it is and EHR with great pricing.

Cons

Prescriptions almost do not look real. When writing prescriptions in this software even though printed on RX paper, the prescriptions look like anyone could have written the prescription. A lot of pharmacies in our area want to call and verify they are real.

Overall good prouct

Reviewed on 2018/02/24

Free
Fast
No down time

Free
Fast
No down time

Pros

Ease of use and thoughtful time-saving features that help reduce aggravation. It's a well designed doctor friendly product that has taken some of the wrinkles out of the process without users always being aware of the behind the scenes effort. Fast and responsive.

Cons

Government reporting is not inclusive for all specialties. Not all possible MIPS measures are present.

Rebekah
Rebekah

Intuitive, easy to learn and convenient.

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

I love how everything is integrated so that I can send labs, update charts, toggle between practice locations and fax referrals, all from one place.

Cons

Occasionally it eats inter-office messages. Generally it only happens when I'm attempting group messages but that can be really inconvenient.

Dmitry
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Progressively declining and currently abysmal customer support

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

I used Practice Fusion since 2009 for my solo psychiatry practice, and became a paid subscriber to continue to use its e-prescribing and EPCS. The EMR support has always been spotty, and it only got worse since it became a paid EMR. It took 5 months to fix an authentication bug which affected e-prescribing significantly, occasionally EPCS would go down completely with no warning and any information from tech support (and no ETA when it would be fixed). The worst is there is no phone support of any kind (PF lists a phone number which essentially leads to a voicemail of your PR "rep" - but said rep has no technical ability of any kind and will not escalate your issue to the tech team). Problem tickets are completely ignored - not responded to at all. There are a number of problems than I was hoping PF would address that lingered for YEARS, and I just learned to live with them. PF used to have a blog where providers would provide advice, requests and complaints - was shut down. It would be very difficult to impossible to export your practice records if you would like to switch EMR's - I tried.

Pros

Ease of use, can create your templates, EPCS easy (when it works), relatively affordable, runs on multiple platforms (when it is up). I don't use the billing and scheduling features.

Cons

Nonexistent customer support (of any kind - Tech tickets ignored, phone support not available, your PF rep will just tell you they have no ETA when an issue will be resolved). Horrible is an understatement - you are completely on your own.
Problematic issues with eprescribing (primarily, EPCS), will pop up repeatedly, impossible to establish lab connection, poor rendering on mobile devices, too many screens to click through. Often slows down during peak hours (I have a FIOS 50/50 connection so not on my end).

L

Acceptable product while it was free but now.....

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

It used to be free. Ability to make your own templates. The E prescribing was simple to use. Easy to enter lab orders and lab result integration was good.

Cons

From free to the whole amout annually paid in advance. The price increase has shut out many small solo practices. The cost is for one physician license +3 additional licensed employees. Wouldn't cost be much fairer if the cost was truly per user. I don't want to subsidize larger offices. Horrible customer service since late last year. The templates that are provided are a very low-quality including lots of misspelled words. New spaces for LGBTQ data but nothing for advance care planning and limited space to provide emergency contacts. Not very user-friendly for documenting geriatric patients. No structured section for preventative care with reminders when overdue. Immunization section was not updated routinely: new herpes zoster guidelines. Making a lab result flowsheet was terrible. Everything was à la cart: needed a separate clearinghouse for billing, needed to purchase up docs, etc. Hopefully they'll come up with a different pricing structure. Gone elsewhere for now. Might return if cheaper, charge people for using MIPS separately. Why should I have to pay for all the tech development of features that I don't use when basic items are missing?

Paige
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

We are a small outpatient psychiatric office and Practice Fusion was great for our budget!

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Great value for the price. We are just starting to implement the patient portal and find it is another useful tool for some patients.

Pros

We love the price, as a small office (2 providers) our budget was limited and this was appealing. I knew other offices larger than ours that used it and they recommended it as well. There is a lot that Practice Fusion is capable of and I think we are only hitting the surface of how it can make our jobs easier. I really like how updox (faxing system) coordinates with Practice Fusion and we can upload what we need into the chart so easily.

Cons

I felt it was difficult to navigate Practice Fusion, but then when we started using it I was also setting up a private practice so that made things more difficult because I really didn't know what I needed as far as intake templates and how to set up my notes to make it quick and easy. After some tries I think we are doing pretty well. The only thing I wish was different (and maybe this can be done and I just don't know how) is that I could duplicate the previous note on a patient and then I can see in one glance what was discussed at our last appointment and then type the new note over the last note. I list their current medications and past medications at the top of the subjective section and so if this could be brought forward on each additional note then all I would need to do is make changes as the occur and not have to keep a "master" word document that I have to update and then copy and paste.

Amy
  • Industry: Insurance

Practice Fusion Customer Service and Use Issues

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

We do use practice fusion for multiple providers who find that it works well to integrate with the billing software

Pros

Practice Fusion does allow practices to pretty easily link up with multiple billing softwares, and it allows for simple tracking of patient records and note keeping. It is pretty simple to run a report and see why a claim is not populating into the billing software from PF.

Cons

The option to keep documents in a patient file is not entirely user friendly, as you have to scroll through all of them to find what you are looking for. I often run into glitches in the bridge built between PF and the billing software we use. I also have trouble with customer service at PF every time there is an issue, as you are not allowed to call any more (the automated message will hang up on you) and the online support ticket is slow and cumbersome. I would expect kinder and more efficient customer service now that practice fusion is a paid service

Tebra
M.

Recent sale to Allscripts has users abandoning this once promising platform

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Worked with this platform for many years until the sale of the company. EHR requires cell phone 2 step log in. The EHR also logs users out repeatedly after periods of inactivity,This results in bacteria and germ transmission among employees frequently breaking sterility protocols to check their cell phones to log back in and results in employees frequently being distracted with personal cell phone use issues.

Pros

Use to be free. Was easy to start learning. The companies logo was "Practice Fusion is Free and Always will be for users." Company was sold and now has physicians leaving in droves.

Cons

Price, lack of functionality in linking with labs and imaging centers. Cannot be used in medical fields such as surgical centers where sterile fields are required because the EHR repeatedly logs out and requires repeat log ins by users with cell phone code entry. Aside from cell phone mediated bacteria transmission staff/employee, cell phone personal use becomes a secondary problematic issue due to the EHR platform requires employees to frequently get them out.

Matthew
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great software when it was free...not so good if you have to pay for it!!

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Not a bad software package, but it has its limitations.
Customer service has deteriorated over the...

Not a bad software package, but it has its limitations.
Customer service has deteriorated over the 7 years that I have used the program. You generally never can get a live person to discuss the issue. Everything is by email. If I have to pay for software, I will find one that does everything I want.

Pros

The software is easy to navigate and has the basic features of an EMR. Being cloud based, it was easily accessible from any internet based pc. It was practice specific in many ways, with certain shortfalls. Vaccine inventory was very good.

Cons

As a pediatrician, I must record a patient weight in pounds and ounces, which you can't do with practice fusion. The basic templates can not be modified and you had to be careful when composing notes (I don't come across too many 2 month old infants with teeth!) either not to pick those elements or go back and really proof read the notes. Log in from a machine that you didn't use previously is a nuisance, in that you have to be verified with a security code.

Cynthia

Practice Fusion User Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

Overall great system for the price. We chose to stay with them when it went from free to subscription because it was so user friendly and the cost affordable.

Pros

Super intuitive when you first set up Lots of templates available. Customer Service is great about helping

Cons

We never fully integrated with the practice management system recommended by Practice fusion at the practice managements suggestion that it would not work well, which was confusing.

Phoebe
  • Industry: Medical Practice

My experience with Practice Fusion...

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

You get what you pay for. We started using Practice Fusion when it was still free. Since they started charging for it, it is has had several upgrades that are really improving the workflow. There are still many things I would like to see change, but for what it is, it's a reasonable software.

Pros

I'm so happy they finally allowed us to add a sticky note to patient's charts. It was very difficult to have communication between departments to notify other members of the staff of patient needs. It is very helpful that it interacts so well with Kareo's Billing Software.

Cons

This program is a little clunky. In the last year they have been making improvements to the usefulness of the system for interaction between departments but there is still a great deal of room for improvement. The reports function is still a work in progress and leaves much to be desired in the information provided and the ease of finding information needed to monitor the flow of a practice.

Ali

Easy

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

Used it for 6 years, but i have to move up because of the lack of many features we needed.

Pros

Very easy to use. No need for training. Very simple. Fast. Integrating with labs is easy. Integrating with radiology is easy.

Cons

Not many features that can advance the practice. Very slow in putting new features in the system so we can get more work done.

Tebra

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The ease of use
Angus

Fantastic Web Based EMR

Reviewed on 2017/07/26

Pros

It is web based EMR. Our office found it easy to implement. It is great that any computer with internet access can be your work computer. I compared to other EMR's - it as a clean modern interface. It is built to get you meaningful use and other quality measurements. It is completely free to use, so you can try it out. The support is also superb - chat support is better than phone support most of the time. Our office productivity has gone up after we implemented it, something I have never heard about another clinic after implementing an EMR.

Cons

I wish I could eRX narcotics in California. I wish there was a view that had in order all the things that as happened: refills, encounters, messages, documents. I also wish in the summery view there was a pane for tasks in the patient summary.

MYUNGHAE

NOT EXTREMELY COMPLICATED TO USE BUT NOT SIMPLE OR VERY EASY TO USE EITHER

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

ok TO UTILIZE FOR NOW BUT PROVIDERS MAY BE LOOKING INTO SWITCHING IF NO ADDITIONAL HELP IS AVAILABLE

Pros

WAS FREE BEFORE BUT NOW CHARGING. this PROVIDE CHATTING ON LINE FOR THE QUESTIONS BUT SOMETIMES NOT EASY TO USE

Cons

NOW CHARGING AMOUNT PER PROVIDER AND NO TEACHING AS TO HOW TO ACHIEVE TO OBTAIN THE CREDITS UNDER mips BY CLICKING WHICH CHOICES THEY HAVE ON THE SCREEN & THIS PRODUCT HAS A LOT OF CHOICES BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW YOU WILL BE CLICKING THE RIGHT BUTTON UNTIL WAY LATER- NO IMMEDIATE FEED BACK. also PATIENTS MENTION THIS PROGRAM MADE THE PATIENT PORTAL DIFFICULT TO ESTABLISH & TO OPEN WHICH IS THE REQUIREMENT FOR ehr mips REPORTING THIS YEAR . tHIS IS A HUGH DOWNSIDE BEING USER UNFRIENDLY ESPECIALLY THE OLDER POPULATION WHO AR NOT COMPUTER SAVY

Chris

EMR Easy

Reviewed on 2023/04/05

I highly recommend the user-friendly EMR, from scheduling, downloading, and uploading sensitive documents the customer support is very good and you can't beat the price.

Pros

Everything about Practice Fusion is very well done from integration to customer support. Very easy friendly software.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like about practice fusion.

Marla

Overall Great EHR.

Reviewed on 2017/04/17

Pros

I love that this product can be accessed from anywhere at any time on any computer with an internet connection. It is very easy to use and easy to customize. I find that the ease of customizing the software is one of the best features for myself as a chiropractor using a software designed for medical doctors.

Cons

I wish there were more reports including patient demographic reports. I have a separate billing company, so I have not been able to combine Practice Fusion's features with a billing software yet. Because of that, when I want a patient list for a mailing or something similar, it is not easy to do unlike running some of the other reports that are built in.

Suresh
  • Used for 6-12 months

NOT FREE!

Reviewed on 2019/06/07

Horrible customer service and business practice! Judging by other customer reviews of bad quality product I would dissuade anyone from signing up for their subscription software! Would not recommend signing up for this software subscription to anyone.

Pros

I have never used this software but I am stuck paying for it thanks to the fraudulent business model that this company follows to gain revenue

Cons

I signed up for Practice Fusion on March 21st 2019. Due to pending litigation I was forced to delay the opening of my clinic and sent in a email as well as physical copy of cancellation notice on April 10th (well within the 30 day time window for cancellation without charge. Despite several attempts to cancel service, The company continues to bill me citing I had a year long obligation even though their contract clearly states that I can cancel within the first 30 days of signing up without any obligations.

I recently received a notice that my account is being sent to collections in June 2019. I am trying to reach the company to find out why I am still being charged without any response from them. It seems their business model is to sign people up and keep charging them even after cancellation on one pretext or another. Horrible customer service and business practice! Judging by other customer reviews of bad quality product I would dissuade anyone from signing up for their subscription software!

Shirley

It was a great Free EHR, still a decent deal with the cost version

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

It's a relatively easy to use EHR, especially for practices who don't have a lot of complicated setup and need something affordable.

Pros

Our billing company recommended this product to several of our offices who needed EHR but couldn't invest thousands of dollars. This was a great option for them at the free level. Now it is a paid subscription. It's still a reasonably priced version, but needs some enhancements to compete.

Cons

Getting help was complicated--and getting enhancements implemented was also complicated. We had several clients ultimately abandon it when it became paid because they could get more features with other platforms.