Trimble Estimation Desktop Reviews

Trimble Estimation Desktop

Complete estimating software for MEP contractors.

Craig

Reviewed on 2012/10/10

Taunt Electric started electronic estimating with Trade Service, Estimation bought out Trade Service and we have been there ever since. Starting out with version 5. Estimation has turned the estimating software into what it is today with our version
9.1. the building of assemblies, and able to adapt to the several field we work in, Healthcare, water and wast water treatment, industrial energy generation, plus everday commercial projects. The ease of able to change the scale, the multiplyer for several conduit run or fixtures. We use a digitiser for our take off and links to our computer for count and take off. The use of summary to edit pricing and labor units. The summary can be run with discounts, NECA labor units, quote master for a quick print out for suppliers. Once in bid summary, labor rates, tax markup, quotes, sub-contractors are ath this page plus summary is available. I personnaly enjoy the program and saved us hours of entries for material. We update every week with Trade Service. The one thing users need to be concerned about is " if there is a problem". The help desk has always been there for us, at one time for even on a weekend

Ronnie
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Viewpoint Estimation Is Electrical Estimating On Steroids.

Reviewed on 2015/09/16

Pros

This product offers so many features that are beneficial. Product is fun and easy to use. Takes the majority of the human factor out of the bid. Less computing mistakes. Speedy and accurate takeoffs. Easy pricing updates.

Viewpoint Customer Support is made up of friendly knowledgeable team members which are eager to assist.

Cons

Really? Hmmm, nothing. Seriously, this product is amazing!

JONATHAN

MEP electrical estimating

Reviewed on 2017/02/24

Good product for small jobs. Don't think it is good for multi-million dollar estimates. Maybe over time, I will change my mind.

Pros

The digital take off is nice

Cons

Cannot label things easily.

Eddie

Reviewed on 2012/05/14

We at Maddux Electric Company Inc. have seen many changes in our industry over the past 32 years. One of the most exciting would be the Technology we have at hand today. When we first started using Estimations in the early 1990s we never thought this type of tool would become something we could not do without. As the industry changed, so did the technology and Maxwell Systems has kept up with that change. They have the most user-friendly products we have seen in the market place, training our estimators has been a snap.

With digital takeoff and dual screens our ratio of job takeoffs have increased 2:1, a lot more accurate, more detailed and user friendly for our Project Managers and superintendents. Maxwell Systems complete staff has always been there when an issue was to come up or if we just have an inquiry about how to do something. Also our account Manager, Mary Heinz, is always staying in touch with us to see how they can help us or if there is something they need to look in to that might help the industry. I would highly recommend this system to any Electrical Contractor.

Jerry

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

I used two electrical estimating systems before Maxwell. The one I learned on was DOS based, and a good system, but had outlived its usefulness. The second was designed by estimators, and was Lotus based. It worked fairly well, but required considerable knowledge of work in the field(I never worked as an Electrician), and I was constantly seeking input from others.

We purchsed the Maxwell Electrical Estimating System about three years ago, and I have been very happy withit. It is intuitive, and has many assemblies that take the guess work out of it for estimators that were not trained as electricians. It is easy to use, and saves a lot of time over the other systems i used.

The customer service has been great, and any requests for technical help are answered and resoved quickly. Our customer service representative, Mary Heinz, stays in contact and is always available.

I would recommend the Maxwell System to anyone.

Don

Reviewed on 2012/10/08

We are a full service electrical firm with a specialty in industrial work, especially industrial control work. We have been using Estimation software since 1988. We have never used any other estimating software. We are currently using version 9.4.0. We only update once every 2-3 years due to the large amount of work involved.

I attended Estimations training school in Jupitor, FL each year for abou 3-4 years to first learn how the program works, and then to update my skills. We have attended no classes since the mid 90's. The program has gotten far more complex, by doing things we don't need but we have managed to stay with it.

My greatest concern is our inability to update the program without making phone calls to find someone to work with. Invariably, when someone does call back, I am out so we end up playing phone tag for days or even weeks. The data base while easy to use is old and has little in it except for construction people, who use the same things time and again.

Jeff

Viewpoint Electrical Estimating

Reviewed on 2015/12/08

Pros

The structure of the program allows you to easily perform your take-off and is flexible to help you fine tune the estimate once it's complete.

Cons

There's one minor issue when you are using the digital take-off. Sometimes when you're doing take-off on the digital screen, it 'loses' that take-off when you move over to the take-off screen to enter it into the estimate.

Cliff
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

I would recommend this software.

Reviewed on 2015/09/15

Pros

This software is easy to use, you can use it right out of the box, but it is 100% customizable to fit your needs.

Cons

The digital take is great it just still needs more fine tuning. at least for me anyway.

Sonia

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

I work for a mechanical and electrical contracting company. I do mechanical estimating, using Maxwell Systems' Estimation 9.4.0.2536 for the majority of my bids. We've been using the system for a little over 4 months. It was fairly easy to learn the basics, though it would be very helpful to have some classes to learn more. The fact that I have a 42" monitor for this system makes it much easier to view the drawings with the digital estimating. The system is much quicker than doing a take-off manually and then plugging all the information into a spreadsheet. Once the material pricing and labor are set up the reports are great for seeing quantities, prices and labor of pipe, fittings, etc. It will also set up different scopes for system types, material types, drawing numbers and many other details. We've had a few issues with the system, but questions were quickly answered and problems resolved.

Wally

Project Manager/Estimator

Reviewed on 2015/10/02

Pros

It keeps me organized, my estimates are accurate and it's fast. When I need help Viewpoint is just a phone call away.

Cons

I deal with a lot of vendors daily, Viewpoint is the least of my worries.

Charles

Been using this take off since it was quest haven't seen any change.

Reviewed on 2015/12/09

Pros

It is user friendly and easy to understand summary reports are very helpful.

Cons

We just wish there was a way you could incorporate a cross section take off program into your system.
We are still using a program by quest and it is out dated.

Troy
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Electrical Estimating software review.

Reviewed on 2015/12/09

Pros

Very easy to use and very accurate. We depend exclusively on this software to obtain high end jobs.

Cons

Occasionally I have to back out and restart the program, but it could be a user error....

Chad

Solid product for accurate takeoff

Reviewed on 2015/12/08

Pros

The takeoff flow has been set up to allow easy and accurate takeoff's.

Cons

I need more flexibility in handling and manipulating drawing files during or after importing.

Phillip

I have been using estimation software for almost 20 years and would hi

Reviewed on 2015/09/14

Pros

Easy to use, well crafted, tech support always knowledgeable

Cons

We are completely satisfied with the product and would highly recommend to others

Jim

Reviewed on 2012/03/15

Hayes & Lunsford Electrical Contractors, Inc. is an 82 year old, 3rd generation electrical contractor operating in NC, SC, GA, TN & VA. We selected Maxwell Systems Estimation software after looking and using several other programs. We are currently using the network version on Estimation, which allows our database to stay on our server and can be accessed remotely. This allows help if a local computer hard drive crashes, as no data in Estimation is lost. The local workstation is very simple to setup. Our estimators are very pleased with Estimation and its ease of use. Support from Maxwell Systems Estimation has been very good. Including helping integrate other software programs such as Trade Service for updating our database. In addition our account manager, Marion Sorensen, is always there when we need help.

Richard

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

We have been using the system for about 3 Months now. New Features such as Elevation Settings, Multiple Estimates within the Job are the immediate standout improvements I've noticed so far. The Ability to Open Multiple Estimates under one job is a definate Plus! Until we find the time to deeply explore all the new features, which is difficult to do when you bid everything on the street; I wont have much more to add. The Dataset is impressive with new innovative industry products, which are much more than our previous version granted that the version we were using without updating it was over 10 years old. All in All I would say it is a excellent product and for the last 11 years have always relied on the Software to put me in a competitive market place.

Mike

Reviewed on 2012/10/02

I have been estimating for over 30 yrs and have used various estimating softwares and spreadsheets. I used Maxwell's Estimation with a past employer and was pleased with how quickly I picked it up. I am now in my own consulting business and needed estimating sofware. I chose Estimation because of my past experience with it and wanted something that was similar in the summary and bid summary print out for the customers I work with. The sales associate was helpful and knowldgeable about thier product. Their support team is very helpful also. I would reccomend Maxwell Estimation to anyone who is looking for estimating sofware that is up to date with the latest programs for quick and easy estimating with great support for your needs.

Lou

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

We have been a Maxwell Estimating system user for many years. We initially had some different thoughts,concerns and trepidation about estimating with a software system. Once we became comfortable which wasn't very long we were producing estimates in a very professional and methodical fashion. What the system does is makes estimating and pricing more consistent. Material prices can be updated through data services which speeds up the process of having accurate and updated bids.
By breaking out estimates by floors,sections and categories we are able to set up awarded projects much easier. We even use the system for detailed change order requests which provides thorough support for getting them approved.

Tim

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

We us Maxwell systems to quote projects to all phases of our business.

We are a plumbing company...

We us Maxwell systems to quote projects to all phases of our business.

We are a plumbing company that provides services to Residential, Commercial and Industrial.

We used Excell spreadsheets before Maxwell.

We took a week long class in Arizona to learn the program and practice. Very good training we were 100% ready to estimate projects when we returned.

The customer support has been better in the past when we first started. We use to call and get problems resolved right away. Now we have to wait for a call back and I'm not always sitting in my office waiting for calls so I've missed those call backs (frustrating).

Chris

Reviewed on 2013/03/15

Central Electric was established in 1975, and is a 2nd generation family business. Revenues have grown over the past decade from $1M to over $10M.

We have been Estimation customers for 2 decades. Our company has grown over the years and we continue to learn and benefit from the capabilities and strengths of the program. We encourage any small- or medium-sized contractor to utilize this program. In the end, you get out of it for what you put into it.

Customer support is excellent. They have very timely responses and are well versed with the program. We also value their learning tools & webinars!

Tim

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

We have always used Maxwell Systems here at J&J. I have been using your software for 8 and a half years and have found it to be somewhat user friendly. We did have a few issues with the software, but it wasn't the software, but the trainer and his interpertation of our needs. After some exploring, we were able to work through these issues. We are constantly upgrading our data base and find the software meets our needs for all of the different projects we bid.

All in all, I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a different program to meet their estimating requirements.

Monique

Estimating Software Usage

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

This was more for general contractors and not specific to the field I need: HVAC/Mechanical

Pros

Estimating Capabilities on Projects

Cons

Too much info. . .not specific to particular field

Richie

Reviewed on 2012/10/03

My company does jobs ranging from a small service call to multi-million dollar projects. We specialize in industrial and commercial design/build projects. When we started looking at estimating software several years ago, Estimation stood out above above all others. Their customer service is second to none. Our Account Manager keeps us up to date with new software revisions and anytime we have a question either her or the help desk is just a call away. I highly recommend this product for your estimating software.

Gary

Reviewed on 2012/10/04

We have been using Electrical Estimation for better than ten years now, and the product just keeps improving. With each new release, we discover new features and/or product upgrades, and new hardware options allow us to keep up with the quick turnaround schedules required in today's bidding environment. Now, a decade later, I can't remember how we ever managed without it. All that, plus first-rate customer support from a dedicated account manager, is what keeps partnered with Maxwell Systems.

Thou

Reviewed on 2012/10/29

We are a plumbing shop that has been in the Omaha area for the past 30+ years. We are a full service plumbing shop that does everything from service to multi million dollar jobs. It's been a family owned company since its inception.

I am not sure what the original purchasers were looking at or what they used before Estimation.

We are currently using Estimation Verison 9.4.3 Service Pack 3

Our account manager Mary Heinz has been very helpful and has not disappointed us yet.