SolidWorks Premium Reviews

Supun
Supun

Design with SOLIDWORKS

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

As a whole Solidworks is one of the best Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software in the world. When considering with other CAD software, Solidworks is specially designed to model 3D mechanical parts. We can model every single part of a machine separately and then we can assemble it using the same software. Also, we can simulate some machinery parts. But for the simulating, we need much powerful hardware. After assembling the parts modeled we can take a print of the machine including different elevation views. This software is very useful for professional designers and they can buy this software for their companies. I do not recommend this software for individual use because of the price.

Pros

Solidworks is a great software to design objects in a professional level. Either a 2-dimensional plan or a 3-dimensional object, we can design it easily using Solidworks. If you have not used this software previously you might think it is hard to learn this software. There are many menus, buttons, panels, etc. in the user interface. But you can learn it very easily because of many tutorials for this software available on YouTube for free. I too studied the software in the same manner. The price of the software is in the midrange but it is worthy because of the features included in Solidworks. Solidworks has a new way of marking dimensions in our design. It is so easy that we only need to select the dimensioning tool and drag down the needed piece. Extruding also became easy because a ruler pops up when we begin to extrude. Solidworks is very useful especially for mechanical engineers, civil engineers, and architectures. They can model their dream using this software.

Cons

There are few drawbacks of the software that I faced while using Solidworks. Since I used some 3D designing software earlier, I feel little bit hard to model objects in Solidworks. Only few primary shapes are included with the software. Some shapes are very hard to model. The price of the software is relatively low when considering with other professional CAD software. But there are many free solutions available in the software market. Therefore buying Solidworks is not a good idea if your project is small. My friend has an Apple computer and he could not find Solidworks software that compatible with mac OS. I think Solidworks for mac OS will release soon.

Shoukhin

Solidworks is All rounder as a 3D modeling Tool

Reviewed on 2022/02/25

Overall, I have had a positive experience with SolidWorks Premium. It is a powerful program that allows me to create complex 3D models with ease. The user interface is easy and the tools are powerful. I have been able to save time and money by using this software for product design.

Pros

As a Designer, Solidworks is the best solution for me for creating and modifying 3D designs. There are several versions of SolidWorks, but the Premium edition is the most comprehensive. It offers me an intuitive user interface, powerful engineering tools, and extensive libraries of components and assemblies.
I can get a realistic view of how products will look before they are manufactured - this can save time and money. I can easily create complex designs that would be difficult or impossible to create by hand. I can quickly and easily export designs to different program applications for further refinement or production. This will allow me to make changes to the design or produce it in a different format.
This software is very easy for me to use and it can be helpful for beginners too. They will be able to create complex 3D models in a short amount of time. I can use this 3D tool to design products with complex shapes and curves. The Bill of Materials Management feature can help me keep track of all the components that go into my product, and how much each component costs.

Cons

Sometimes, I can't understand some of the tool features to execute for modeling. It is hard to find some errors that occurred while designing a complex model. Sometimes, I get stuck on what tool to use or how to fix an error in my model.

Reza

Upgrading to Version 2021

Reviewed on 2021/06/24

Pros

We had the older version. I thought we are getting more benefit from pay few thousand dollar for upgrade which was totally wrong.

Cons

Upgrading is a joke , last five there are no major differences between 2016 and 2021

Kyle

CAD for Experts

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

SolidWorks has been a major asset to the company and the key piece to the success of our companies CAD abilities. We make use of parts of the program many people may never touch, such as pipe routing. While it has it's drawbacks, the benefits of using software such as SolidWorks allows us to do much more specialized work without our industry that other programs do not have the capability of producing.

Pros

SolidWorks does nearly everything under the sun when it comes to CAD design. From 2D and 3D sketching, to mechanical assemblies and full simulations.

Cons

SolidWorks tends to be a bit unstable at times. Dealing with high amounts of features and parts can slow down the software if you don't have a very robust system. Crashes will be, unfortunately, a way of life at times. It does a decent job of backing up and recovering files during these crashes so work is not always lost. Save often is the most important piece of advice I can give to anyone using SolidWorks

Inventor

Reasons for Switching to SolidWorks Premium

Inventor does not have the sort of multi-body weldment features found in SolidWorks that is useful in structural modeling.
Raúl
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

The best program to 3d design

Reviewed on 2022/06/15

It is the best tool for manufacturing and industrial CAD.

It is the best tool for manufacturing and industrial CAD.

Pros

You have the possibility of carrying out a multitude of engineering works in any sector with spectacular results, and it also allows you to carry out real analyses.

Cons

Sometimes there is a bug in service pack versions that can make the job a bit cumbersome.

CATIA

Reasons for Choosing SolidWorks Premium

This software improves results, file compatibility and solutions.

Solid Edge and AutoCAD

Reasons for Switching to SolidWorks Premium

The price it's much more cheap than Catia.
Taylor
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Gold Standard of Design Packages

Reviewed on 2020/01/18

I love Solidworks and will be a lifetime user. Again, some CAD softwares have specified add-ons that are task specific, but for the value, Solidworks can get you to where you need to go easily and smoothly.

Pros

I have used multiple CAD programs throughout my engineering career, but I always come back to Solidworks as being the foundational CAD package that I am most comfortable and confident with.

Cons

There are some things that are highly specific to my industry that are not as robust as, for instance, CATIA; however, if you can become proficient in Solidworks, then you will be able to transfer your CAD skills to any other platform in other industries. Very intuitive and user friendly.

Giuseppe
  • Industry: Research
  • Used for 2+ years

Superpowerful 3D CAD suite, but could be overkill depending on user

Reviewed on 2021/04/22

Probably one of the easiest and most powerful 3D CAD software available, especially for "mit-tier" users such as myself. Based on what I've seen though, I'm sure that it's advanced capabilities (which I don't really use) are easily on par with other programs.

Pros

I love the ability to visualize my systems before asking our machine shop to build them. The level of detail available is phenomenal. I've played with the modeling components and like them a lot, but I don't have enough experience to really comment on them. For someone that cannot easily visualize components and instruments in my mind, SolidWorks is a must!

Cons

My only real criticism of this software is that it isn't for the faint of heart of casual user. I consider myself very savvy with computer design and graphics, but every time I pick up SolidWorks, I feel like I have to re-learn it before I can use it effectively. A "beginner" interface for simpler tasks would be very useful for users like me.

• Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Flexible CAD solution for average and most common 3D modeling.

Reviewed on 2022/02/15

Is pretty handy if you will design fixtures or structures to manufacture them, also the way you can customize libraries for future assemblies is very useful.

Pros

SolidWorks is very easy to use among most of the CAD software solutions on market, also the import and export functions hold on most geometry pretty well.

Cons

For more complex surfaces operations, it comes short for solutions.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Designing of complex models in a simple manner

Reviewed on 2022/04/29

Pros

This tool is easy to learn and a very good option for a beginner who starts with 3d CAD. The tool is intuitive and GUI is very good to perform tasks. Designing is very comfortable. Making animation is very easy. It is available with a 3DS system which makes it easy to integrate with DS products.

Cons

The simulation features are not much advanced compared to competitors. The meshing is not so good. It can't manage the huge design and simulation tasks well

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

SolidWorks

Reviewed on 2022/08/29

The Overall Experience for this software has been quite neutral for me

The Overall Experience for this software has been quite neutral for me

Pros

1)This Software is quite versatile in terms of functionality
2)It Provides us the option for Rendering Models
3)We Can animate the Models

Cons

1) It is quite complicated for new users.
2)It Does not have any options for cloud computing during analysis for rendering models.

Ronald
  • Industry: Plastics

Good Deal

Reviewed on 2021/08/10

I have created a lot of product designs quickly to determine the weight of a product to get our customers an accurate quote, and a picture they can see. We also use it to design fixtures that can be made at another shop.

Pros

Solidworks is very easy to use. You don't need a lot of training because once you have the basic concept down, it becomes intuitive on how to create models. There are many ways to complete the same commands, so it can just be a matter of preference on which method works best for you. Customer support was able to help me with almost every problem I had except for third party hardware issue. It's customizable, but not too customizable.

Cons

Solidworks can crash at times and work is lost if you don't save it. There are some features that I was not able to create in solid that probably could be done in surfaces if I had time to learn it.

Solid Edge

Reasons for Switching to SolidWorks Premium

Solidworks has the support and the market presence to continue developing a first class 3D cad product.
Eric
  • Industry: Machinery

Best of Breed for Engineering Design Software

Reviewed on 2022/05/06

Pros

The nesting feature for drawings has been extremely helpful as well as the component registry

Cons

The software has been a key element for our business but the price point and the independent vendor sales method is frustrating at times

Anthony
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Solidworks Review

Reviewed on 2022/08/14

I use Solidworks everyday all day. I have used Pro-E and NX in the past as well as some of the free 3D cad softwares on the internet. Hands down Solidworks has the feature sets and ease of use that made my job so much more fulfilling and productive.

Pros

Solidworks allows me to do solid modeling as well as surface modeling. The feature sets for both are equally powerful. I tend to use solid modeling as it is the most straight forward for the type of parts that I am required to design. The tools are logically grouped and easy to find. I can customize where those tools are and how they are grouped as well. The goal is to reduce the number of clicks and mouse movements so I can be more efficient. Solidworks is always finding ways to achieve this. Foe example, I enjoy the use of keyboard shortcuts and mouse shortcuts to get to contextual menus. The icons are easy to understand what tool they represent which again allows me to rapidly locate tools.

Cons

The one item that has vexed me over the years is the thread creation tool. Sometimes, I need to create an actual thread (not a virtual thread) in the model. There is a tool but it is rather clunky and difficult to use. I would just want to define what size of thread and where it starts and then have it create it. If I want to customize it then there should be an option available.

Cevdet
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

SolidWorks Premium is the Ultimate CAD Solution

Reviewed on 2023/04/20

Overall, SolidWorks Premium is an excellent choice for me as who working project engineer.

Pros

SolidWorks Premium is a powerful CAD software with advanced features for 3D modeling, simulation, and product visualization. Its become have to used software to me since long time ago. The software has user-friendly interface and extensive tutorials and guides. Absoluetly best choice for the engineering and manufacturing industries for creating high-quality designs.

Cons

There is some high learning curve maybe. But thats all, SolidWorks Premium is perfect software without any drawback.

Amazing CAD software for 2D and 3D designs

Reviewed on 2018/10/14

I loved working with Solidworks. I prefer using it since I am more accustomed to it. The features are easy to use but I believe they can be improved to make them a lot simpler to use. It also is versatile in what you want to accomplish with the software, whether it be manufacturing, CAD, simulations, etc.

Pros

I have been using Solidworks for about 2-3 years. The software helps create 2D and 3D designs with ease. I am very comfortable using the software to create references and switch orientation. The 2D sketch tools are simple to use. There are plenty of 3D features which can be tricky to use such as swept boss, loft, revolve, etc. However, with practice they are handy in making complex 3D designs. The premium allows to use Solidworks Simulation and Motion Analysis which are critical for design engineers. The Cam allows the use for manufacturing.

Cons

The newest version of Solidworks is also not compatible with an old version of Solidworks. This can be difficult working with people who don't have the same version of Solidworks as you. It also takes up a lot of RAM and runs very slowly when running simulations. When running Solidworks Simulations, you need a computer with high speed and RAM to get accurate results with high element size.

Super great program

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

When we have to redesign a compressor because of a difference in parts sales at the time, Solidworks is there to allow us to make the necessary changes fairly quickly and easily. Our Engineers can take a ring that is slightly different than what we previously used, make the changes necessary to utilize this new ring, and have the plans up and going in short order to get this change in a compressor out and ready for machining and building. They are able to make adjustments to parts when we find we need to change something due to our testing. Everything is simpler because of the abilities of Solidworks.

Pros

The capabilities of this program are really high. You can create and model just about anything your heart desires. The ability to create things is really only limited to the user of the software. We use this daily as we design our Compressors. Little things here and there are easy to visualize and take advantage of, so much so that our machinists can make things super easily because of the abilities in Solidworks.

Cons

This software is rather expensive for an every day type of use. This is definitely a program for those that are willing to invest in their Engineering Department. The amount of RAM needed for good solid work with this is very high, and the video card requirements are even more strict.

Ajoob
Ajoob
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Easy to create engineering models with great accuracy.

Reviewed on 2022/03/12

Solidworks premium helps us in designing of 3d models of the part and assemblies to be manufactured. We are perform stress analysis using the software to analyse the design will withstand under various loading conditions. The stress analysis gives accurate results and according to the result we can make changes to the design if needed.

Pros

Solidworks premium is the most widely used design software by mechanical Engineers. The software helps to create part models and assembly models in 3d with high accuracy. The best about solidworks premium is that we can easily make edits to the parts in an assembly model and the changes will automatically applied to all the associated models. The simulation of the designs can also be performed using the software to avoid failures during manufacturing.

Cons

No difficulties were faced during our use.

A great drawing and modeling software

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Pros

Because I teach the use of this software to future european engineers, where Dassault is a prominent choice amongst industrial employers of my student, this software is the key to a proper formation fo my student, who will use extremely similar software in industry. The 3D features are intuitive and are explained contextually in a very clear manner (lower ribbon or logos help identify where and what to click). The mass and inertia properties are easy ways to confirm manual computations, and the blueprint drawing is state of the art. The toolbox including most thread standards is a huge help.

Cons

The main concern in the drawing module is the oddity of drawing standards used by SolidWorks. Folliwing ISO 128 and ISO 129 would be better (bigger difference between thick and thin lines, thicker extremities of section lines, etc.). In the 3D module, the main concern is the shell function, which does not always provide efficient results, especially when there are two entry surfaces to the shell. Propagation of fillets, and clearance angle tools are not always bug-free.

Deniz
  • Industry: Design

For manufacturing electronics and engineering designs

Reviewed on 2021/06/06

I work in engineering works or if my client is an engineer, because products that are in the forefront of their function rather than their design appearance are expected.

Pros

+++You have to use this place for works involving electronics, because it contains too many separate parts, and their features increase your mobility in many aspects such as bedding, screwing and placing. It speeds up your work.
++Quickly and professionally solving the works described as drudgery: Standard element library and easy handling of operations such as bedding and space to be created in accordance with them.
+ Measuring points that will come to the fore in engineering points thanks to Flow simulation . In this way, it provides avoidance of production while upgrading until a new product is needed.
+ It allows to reconsider the design by displaying the assembly and working flow of different products with simulation. In this way, an overview of the detailed works at the point of improving the movements is gained. (Example: my company was trying to minimize the measurement error at the point of gear backlash and measurement. It comes in handy for very detailed points like this.)

Cons

It's really painful to go back and change the design.
- Not inclined to observe by applying major changes in design. In other words, there is no feature to perform 3D thinking tasks in the program.

Jacob
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Used for University Design Team

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

It has been great, we used it exclusively on the Queen's Baja Design team to do all of the design for our car which gets really complex when all the different sub systems are assembled (which was done fairly easily), we were able to separately design each component of the car (different team members doing different components), and then create an assembly with everything in it to test fit everything and check clearances. we were also able to do static and dynamic loading to see where weak points were (for components and assemblies)

Pros

great tutorials, very easy to use and figure out compared to other programs, definitely takes time and practice to get the hang of it but all the functions are thoroughly explained in the tutorials and very useful models can be made. the built in analysis tools are also easy to figure out and can be very useful in iterative design even if you don't fully understand how it works

Cons

there wasn't much I didn't like about it, like any software it takes time to learn how to use and there are some bugs, certain things would cause it to crash so it's important to save your work often as you go but that goes for any design program like this

Tilanka
Tilanka

Powerful CAD Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

This is the software I used for any kind of 3D rendering purpose, so design processes and presentations makes very easy. And also SolidWorks premium is good software which can be used with mathematical modelling software that used for mechanical controlling.

Pros

SolidWorks Premium is a powerful 3D rendering software and it has user friendly interface. It is a good software for academic activities because of easy and accurate controls. It supports links with other mathematical modeling software,so it very impotent to advance controlling . SolidWorks supports both 2D and 3D designs. This software includes most of standard design principals and standard parts, it makes industrial jobs very easy. Best CAD modelling software for beginners as well as advanced users

Cons

SolidWorks premium need some high performance in the computer, otherwise it is very difficult to run with other application in same time. When work with complex designs it i very difficult to rename parts and copy all parts with assembly to different location.

Jordan
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Solid Product

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

Overall, it is a good professional tool for basic and some advanced modeling. If you need to do advanced simulation, there are other packages like Ansys that are much better.

Pros

The layout and ability to customize shortcut keys help with the speed and ease of use. Some of the basic motion simulations are helpful. Training materials are easy to find on the internet. There is a large community of users that actively post tips and tricks related to CAD modeling.

Cons

Working with large assemblies could be improved. The program/computer can be slow when trying to manipulate, open, or save large assembly files. Imported geometry, especially surface models, are difficult to work with. Cleaning models and fixing geometry errors takes a lot of time.

Kovindran

The Solidworks Premium Review by A CSWE

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

Its a phenomenal CAD Tool with a fabulous user friendly interface. Learning CAD and mechanical Design in this software is knife on a butter. Once get used to it, and none will switch to other software, even if switched, learning the other software will be easier.

Pros

Has Great performance, graphics, advanced tools, various domains of mechanical engineering life Sheetmetal, weldments, surfacing and drawing tools. More additional tools like sustainability, costing BOM, MBD. Apart from CAD , this software also provides CAE tools like Solidworks Simulation and Solidworks Flow Simulation, and finally the add ins available inside the software is just awesome.

Cons

It is a great software and for cons, i need to search a bead in beach sand. this software consumes a high amount of RAM and a dedicated graphics card is needed for smooth operation. so A decent hardware is required to function smoothly, especially while working on large assemblies and Simulation.

Ash
  • Industry: Design

Powerful industry standard modelling package.

Reviewed on 2023/09/12

Pros

It is the most commonly used CAD package within manufacturing and has a vast array of plugins. There is a lot of help online so getting community support for niche questions is normally possible. The software is very powerful and can do 99% of what you want if you know the technique for it. It is a logical workflow without too many head scratchers.

Cons

It is definitely very pricey but generally covers its cost if using it commercially. The assembly system is not as robust as it could be and it lets you get a way with lots of bad practices that will bite you later on without you realising although this does provide more flexibility than other CAD packages.

Sharudin
Sharudin
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Solidworks Premium Review

Reviewed on 2021/10/16

Solidworks is such a fun and productive software. You can create drawings so quickly of parts and assemblies with the drag and drop function.

Pros

Solidworks is fairly easy to use for 3D modelling. The function of creating parts, adding them to assemblies and creating drawings is so quick and easy.

Cons

Some functions in the software may get errors and can be a headache to resolve. The problem could be so micro and hard to find and resolve.