1 653 reviews

Cloud-based property management software

1 653 reviews
Christina B.

Reviewed on 2021/03/03

Very satisfied for the most part. I am excited to see what new features and enhancements get rolled out.

Pros

This is a very easy software to learn. Finding the information you need quickly is one of the best features to help with efficiencies in every job. I also like that it is all in the canned version and you don't have to get nickel and dimed with separate modules.

Cons

There are still a lot of features and reports that would make our experience better or eliminate workarounds, but you have to wait for it to get to the top of the list of priorities for product roll-outs.

Susan H.

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Brooks B.

Best software on the market

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Brandon C.

Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros

The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons

I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

Shawn C.

Would recommend AppFolio

Reviewed on 2020/06/30

Automated reporting, and records management for property managers is efficient and works well.

Pros

Easy to use and understand at the site level in most respects. Reporting to various owners is automated. Includes free on line payments for our residents.

Cons

The marketing of vacant units to various advertisers was a real plus but this has gone downhill since we originally adopted use of AppFolio.

Tj W.

Great Product but support has changed

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros

ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons

Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

Chelsey H.

Easy to use, no major flaws

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

Cons

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Vivian M.

They know property management!

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros

It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons

There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

Pamela M.

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

Pros

The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons

The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

Yan S.

Great product and really terrible support

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Laura P.

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros

There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons

Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Paris S.

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/09

Pros

*Convenient user access on computer & phone.
*User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations
*Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers.
*Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New"
*Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized
*Paying vendors via direct deposit.
*Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing.
*Helps organize functions

Cons

*Expensive.
*Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up.
*Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount.
*Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else.

Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Sarah K.

Chatel Real Estate

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros

I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons

Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

Response from AppFolio

HI Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Lisa T.

Appfolio is AWESOME!

Reviewed on 2017/07/13

The customer conferences are so beneficial and give the opportunity for new customers to talk with your staff directly and other Appfolio users. I believe this was key when we first converted and were going through the growing pains ourselves. Now that we have used this product for several years- I like to attend the conference, not only to connect with your team in the genius bar and in the classes--but to help the newbies by sharing our experiences with them and tell them about our processes. I just think overall the conference helps everyone get reconnected and I find it very beneficial.

Pros

The appfolio team listens to their end users and encourages input/feedback, so that they can make changes/upgrades on a continual basis. This, in my opinion, is one the biggest things that puts Appfolio WAY ahead of its competition.
The program is stupid-easy to use. (seriously, training on this system is a breeeze--it is truly "user friendly")
Texting and email ability allowed me to cancel another paid service I used to use--and these features are SUCH a time saver, plus our residents LOVE it! PLUS the system keeps the documentation- I don't have to spend time adding it in as a note! Win-win!
Online payments free up SO much of my time now. (Residents love the convenience as well) The majority of my property pay online!!

Cons

I can't think of one thing! I just really like Appfolio and I believe that the company has their fingers on the pulse of what we need. THANK YOU!

Response from Mackenzie

Dear Lisa, thank you for your kind words! Our team loves seeing and working with you at our annual conference - we all truly enjoy meeting our customers face to face each year. We look forward to continually improving your experience with AppFolio and giving you the tools you need for your business. We hope to see you again at this year's conference!

Angie G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Appfolio for Property Management

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

I have worked with Appfolio since 2012. I would recommend it for its ease of use. If you are a small company and do not have daily IT support to train your employees this is a great program for you. The tutorials are very easy to use for training.

Pros

Very user friendly with tutorials handy at the click of your mouse.
I really like the fact that the marketing and advertising of vacant units is tied to the software. It makes it really streamlined when posting ads and managing pictures and changes to the market rents.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot customize the user individually. I came from Yardi and you could pick specific tasks that the employee could access. It is too generic when it comes to the user roles. Example: A leasing agent can post money but not close the deposit? Employees have too much access to information that should be confidential.

Krickett A.

Best decision we've made

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

AppFolio has made our business more efficient which has enabled us to provide a higher level of customer service not only to our clients but our customers as well.

Pros

There are several features to the software that make it a great product for our team to use.
#1. The ease of use and overall aesthetic functionality is hands down best I've seen.
#2. The ability to have all of our property management activities done out of one centralized location has increased our efficiency.
#3. We love the conversational component of AppFolio. Being able to communicate with our resident base out of the system and have that communication recorded is a value add unlike anything else. Documentation of conversations is hard, especially since we are people, AppFolio takes the excuse out of not recording conversations.
#4. The evolution of AppFolio is amazing. In attending my first conference I discovered that the ability for AppFolio to create such an evolving product is tied into not only the phenomenal leadership but also to the phenomenal talent and passion among the team. I love that they listen to what the customer wants and 9 times out of 10 makes it happen. Such a customer service focused environment.

Cons

If I were to say there is a feature I like the least about AppFolio it is that we can't yet have the vendor communication recorded anywhere but the vendor page. I'd love to have all vendor communication link back to the work order for a more complete conversation log.

Vida M.

Back to customer service focus

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

The customer service was amazing when we started and for many years after. Now the generic e-mails in response to questions and issues are taking away from what made the company special. The added prices for the add-ons are showing that the company is more revenue focused. I recently had a conference call with someone that was so condescending. Our office was shocked.
Has the company changed hands?
It's just disappointing.

Pros

Easy to use. Product is always changing, improving with technology.

Cons

The products are always improving but they are being rolled out before talking to more users of what they are looking for in the new product. It seems to fit some but not all.
It's becoming "yardi like" with each add on costing more and more. Things used to be included and now it feels as though the company is more profit focused.

Karen J.

Perfect for Property Management

Reviewed on 2019/10/01

This software saved me hours and hours of work when we started using it! I love this software for managing long term properties.

Pros

Ease of paying owners monthly, tenant move in and move outs are much easier to track and record

Cons

transferring funds around can be a bit difficult if you make an error

Nicholas P.

AppFolio Property Manager is A+

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

We used to use a separate system to receive rent payments and would have to manual enter them into Appfolio. By using Appfolio for all payments it has cut down on human error with the data entry and saved HOURS of data entry. We have also saved time and issues by having the tenants enter their maintenance request instead of them telling us and then us entering it. This way they explain exactly what the issue is and can't say I said this or that when we entered it. Just a better way of running a business. Oh and the owner statements pull everything from the system instead of us keeping a spreadsheet with the payments and charges - save time and possibly more human error.

Pros

There are so many features that are great, but there are too many to list. It is great to have all the information in one location from the guest card to the leasing. Having all the online rental payments go right onto their ledger saves so much time. We love also being able to pay owners and vendors from the same system. There are so many features we have not even begun to use and it is just a great system.

Cons

We do not like that we are not able to download the ledger with a total of charges and payments at the bottom of the ledger. They used to offer it and when tenants or cosigners had questions it was a huge help. Another issue we have is not being able to send the letters via email to the cosigners. Most of our tenants are students and the cosigners pay the rent and we need them to get the email letters. Few other things but the PROS outweigh the cons by far.

Jay R.

It Just Works

Reviewed on 2020/12/14

It has been life changing and that’s not meant to be an exaggeration.

Pros

Everything just works, there aren’t a bunch of external modules that don’t sink, the software is constantly updating and on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

Nothing at this point. Our experience has been tremendous.

Diana B.

Awesome Property Management Product

Reviewed on 2019/11/04

Fabulous overall experience. Easy to use, easy to access necessary information, generous standardized reports

Pros

Web based platform, ease of use, great customer support

Cons

inability to customize certain features, not flexible in terms of customization

Erika B.

Best Product for Online Property Management

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

What I am solving by using AppFolio is the need to have online abilities. We needed to be online and AppFolio solved this for us. They provided us a website too and it goes to a lot of different websites that I never posted on before. It helped us get my building full when the market was struggling.

Pros

I love using AppFolio because starting the process of completing paperwork for new tenants is streamlined. When I have roommates or a couple moving into the apartment, the system will group their applicaitions together. Once the tenants are approved, the system takes us through a move in flow where the lease is sent out and the tenant pays the security deposit and rent online. It is easy for me and the new tenant. I also like that every tenant I have now pays online where I never have to process a check or money order, so collecting rent each month is easy. It is a great system to use.

Cons

What I like least is that AppFolio is not good at getting a move in inspection signed off by the tenant online. So unfortunately, I still need to keep a paper inspection. The inspection they have works great where you can upload pictures, but it does me no good because it won't hold up in court since there is no ability to have me and the tenant sign off on the condition of the unit.

Darla B.

Good Program for the Money

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Pros

It is very user friendly. I like that it is always evolving. The support has been great.

Cons

Still need to work on the association side. It’s getting there but needs more tweaking!

Natalie B.

Most User Friendly Property Management Software!

Reviewed on 2019/05/21

We work with a lot of mom & pop property owners and they are always blown away by the monthly owner statements we send. It is so easy on our end to compile their packet but to them, its sophisticated, and organized. It builds trust with our owners which makes our jobs easier!

Pros

How easy it is to learn how to use Appfolio. While the basics are pretty much self explanatory, there are tutorials, videos and a full support team to guide you through the more complex functions of Appfolio. I also love how we can keep everything all in one place, i.e. our resident information, vendor contacts, maintenance requests, property inspections, invoicing, etc. I used to have 4-5 different softwares between all of the above and it's much more efficient having everything in one user friendly place.

Cons

Honestly, there's nothing to dislike. The functions not yet available in Appfolio are most likely already in progress to be developed because of the "Suggestion Box" where other users can vote on ideas.
What I'm looking forward to most is Appfolio being able to pro-rate rent amounts when a lease renewal starts and ends mid-month as well as more detailed activity reminders on the maintenance side.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Natalie, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review--we appreciate the feedback!

Daniel P.

Best thing since cheese pizza

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

This software is the only reason why I still have hair! When I started in property management, it was Quickbooks and Google Sheets. It worked, but accounting was super labor intensive, applications were on paper, tenants had to submit payments in person or into the CORRECT bank account at our local bank. Maintenance was difficult to keep track of, among other things, like unique notes and situations for each tenant. I had to create a new lease for every tenant.

Appfolio changed everything. Payment is online, and now 77% of my tenants pay there. I've trained roughly 90% of my tenants to submit maintenance requests online or through the Appfoio app so they go straight to my maintenance team. Leases autopopulate from the information entered onto the online application. I can enter notes on each tenant profile so I can keep track of unique situations.

The best part is that it runs off my browser or the app. I can keep track of things while I travel (which I love to do!) There's a lot more to this program, but I can guarantee you'll never go back!

Pros

Online for me and tenants
apps online, with option to collect app fee
leases auto-populate with info from apps and property database
tenants can pay online and set up autopay
tenants can submit maintenance requests that go straight to maintenance crew

Cons

doesn't have usable to-do checklist
doesn't have mass tenant texting option
can't receive pictures on texting feature