1 601 reviews

1 601 reviews
Benjamin B.

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

Pros

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

Cons

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Brooks B.
Industry: Real Estate

Best software on the market

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Kate L.
Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Inadequate Commercial Real Estate Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Absolutely horrible. Using Appfolio has done nothing but make my job harder. The priority with Appfolio is clearly residential property management. I am involved in every function of Appfolio every single day & cannot stand it. Getting AF involved in things, such as user setting changes & cash account transfers should be an option, NOT a requirement.

Pros

The system-wide search feature, ability to change dates & descriptions of items most of the time & expiration date on recurring JEs. So far, customer support has been great for me - very friendly & helpful.

Cons

-Reporting is awful. Columns can be added but report pdf process does not auto-adjust size to page, which means converting to Excel to adjust. There are reports that do not have totals so have to convert those, too.-The financial reports were inadequate, so had to "upgrade" Excel to use Connect Tool just to make the reports look like the ones in the old software.-Rent Roll does not show correct occupancy rate (based upon SF not units, obviously).-Tenants cannot choose what to pay via online portal which causes time-consuming reapps.-The Smart Scan feature disregards recurring invoices, which are at least 60% of invoices paid.-Credits are auto-applied so have to unapply those to provide tenants a stmt that shows the credit, which should be a setting option NOT default.-Modified Cash Basis is not an acctg method choice. -We were not allowed to choose how to set-up cash accounts & must have AF's assistance when transferring banks.-Basic fields are not programmed into the tenant's page. There should be a lease abstract form for comm tenants. We should have option to choose what type of tenant to pull up apropos fields (res, comm, ind, etc.) &/or choose fields to add to the tenant's page.-Items rvsd from tenant's account disappear. We should have option to show rvsd items, as with the GL. Instead, items have to be manually credited & limited to one credit per g/l code per date. So much time wasted w/all the credits required for hurricane dest, esp since AF auto-applies credits.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

James L.

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

Cons

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary) despite having the technology already to accommodate all clients regardless of company size. Additionally, we paid a lofty website setup fee when we originally enrolled in the software in 2014. They charge anywhere from $1000-5000 to redesign the website and as of March 2021, they are forcing everyone to migrate their website over to a new design and imposing a monthly fee to host the website in addition the the regular monthly fee.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Brayden M.
Company size: Self Employed

AppFolio is Powerful, Take the time to study it

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

Pros

This software is amazing. It has so many features from initial contact with prospective renters all the way through the rental process. It allows you to initiate online payments to vendors and owners. It is capable of creating HTML packets for posting to websites manually. It also posts automatically to about 30 other websites. It is awesome.

Cons

It has taken a lot of work to learn and I’m still learning a lot and I’ve been using it for 7 years. You have to treat it like learning a new language and dive in to understand each facet of the software.

Daniele V.

Easy to Use and Always Improving

Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

AppFolio is so easy to use! When learning a new task, we often find ourselves exclaiming, "That's it?!" The program is easy to set up and use. AppFolio has allowed us to automate many of our processes including posting rents, calculating management fees and owner distributions, processing payables, tracking tenant and vendor insurance, recurring work orders, sending monthly financial packets and much more. We love that all of our owners and tenants have access to a portal and that communicating with them via email or text is quick and effortless. When we do need help, the AppFolio team is always there for us. From onboarding through support, you know that the AppFolio team is there to help and make sure you're making the most of the program. We couldn't be happier with our decision to use AppFolio!

Cons

A big portion of our portfolio is Commercial. I think AppFolio was originally geared toward residential management. They've made a ton of progress toward commercial properties, but sometimes I wish the commercial features were more robust (example: CAM recoveries). Though this is sometimes a "con", we do not regret our decision to use AppFolio for our entire portfolio. They continually add new features and improve old ones, so I'm confident that we'll see more robust commercial features in the future.

Jesser W.

Great Platform

Reviewed on 2020/09/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall this is a phenomenal platform with top tier customer service. The training and customer service staff trained our employees for us, and now even almost 12 months out, we still have weekly meetings with them to help us develop our work flows, and learn the new and updated functionality of the software.

Pros

The ability to have everything in one place. We switched to this software from another we had been using, and this has allowed us to not only gather better and more accurate data, but also has alleviated our need to make our own reports in excel as all of the company's key indicators can be measured all in the same system.

Cons

There are occiasionally things that pop up, that seem very remedial and common sense that don't happen. For instance, the entire platform allows you to sort your reports and data by dates. But if you want to see the delinquency notes on a tenant, you have to either look at all of them on the report or none of them. Or the ability once a move-out is complete to click "Undo" Move-out and correct a mistake, but once a move-in is completed, there is no undo button.

Joshua A.

Great Property Management Software with Excellent Features

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

We have been using Appfolio since 2011 and along with it's easy of use, it's customer service is amazing!

Pros

The features provided in Appfolio are numerus and very well implemented. The software is easy to use, straight forward, and all people that can browse a webpage can use Appfolio

Cons

The only con with Appfolio is that it is on the higher price side for property management software but I do believe it is worth the cost.

Jacob Y.

Appfolio property management

good experience overall.

Pros

very easy to use. accessible from anywhere. very user friendly.

Cons

accounting section, planning and coordinating, tasks and security functions need attention. Not very versatile and flexible and lacking a lot of functionality.

Marilu G.

People Friendly

Reviewed on 2020/10/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Its very people friendly, has great features and over all a great software

Cons

transferring is a pain and emailing per building instead of property should be added

Susan H.

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Reviewed on 2020/10/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Danny L.
Industry: Facilities Services

Data Configuration and Segregation of Data by Association

Reviewed on 2020/08/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I think overall it has been a good experience but the on-boarding team should highlight the things we need to do to make it easier down the road when we grow to more that 2 or 3 associations. When doing work for an association we need ways of setting temporary defaults to allow to do billing, payments, reporting etc. without having to enter the association over and over.

Even this survey was not set up right. You ask what the industry was and none of them dealt with what we do like Association Management.

Pros

It is easy to use for sure and support and on boarding was great.

Cons

The product is too slanted toward rentals or property management with one association. If you had 60 associations in a portfolio you have all your GL Accounts, Bank Accounts, Vendors all together. This is just good design from a functional stand point making customers name things to know the difference. You should keep things separated by Association. Weak design from a data structure point of view making it fit the small companies but not good for the larger portfolios.

Joseph M.

Great Software, Better Tech Support

Reviewed on 2020/07/22

Fantastic software.

Pros

User interface and tech support. The user interface is intuitive, more often than not at least, and the tech support is incredibly responsive and helpful.

Cons

It is build on a Cash basis accounting system (extremely helpful for property management but numbingly difficult for COA/HOA management, which is by definition an Accrual game)

Brandon C.

Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added

Reviewed on 2020/07/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros

The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons

I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Marna M.
Industry: Real Estate

Moved from desk top to online Appfolio

Reviewed on 2020/07/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My business was desk top based before Appfolio. I had no idea that we were in the dark ages and since we have upgraded to Appfolio the business much more efficient in comparison. Our owner client base has increased in the past year. The website is user friend to navigate, applying is simple, great layout and appearance. I feel fortunate be with Appfolio since most of us do not see each other and the office is close to the public but we are still able to work efficiently even from home. Best decision I ever made for my brokerage.

Pros

The program is intuitive. If you think through the process of how something should work...that is Appfolio in a nutshell. The programming and processes just make sense. The interface is user friendly and I am very fortunate to have found this program and would highly recommend this online software. It's increased our reach in advertising rentals, streamline our communication with owners and tenants, higher efficency in processing work orders and simplified our bookkeeping.

Cons

I do not have a background in bookkeeping so there are areas that mistify me such as clearing accounts, what constitutes a debit or credit in some areas of the program since a negative symbol is not always a debit in the system. I've only been doing this for 1.5 years but I'm learning. I've hired an additional company who is proficient in Appfolio to assist me since I am still in the learning curve.

Shawn C.

Would recommend AppFolio

Reviewed on 2020/06/30

Automated reporting, and records management for property managers is efficient and works well.

Pros

Easy to use and understand at the site level in most respects. Reporting to various owners is automated. Includes free on line payments for our residents.

Cons

The marketing of vacant units to various advertisers was a real plus but this has gone downhill since we originally adopted use of AppFolio.

Sherry K.

Appfolio Review

Reviewed on 2020/06/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I love Appfolio and how they always are trying to improve the software!

Pros

Easy navigation throughout each piece. The leasing and accounting flows easily to the reporting. All of the pieces link very nicely.

Cons

The balance sheet sums all of the bank accounts into operating cash and escrow cash. It makes it hard to see individual bank account balances on the balance sheet.

The late fee program is very laborious when dealing with 2000+ units and residents.

The minimum fee bills on a unit even if you didn't collect income. There is a lot of work to make sure we don't bill when the unit is vacant.

Tj W.
Industry: Real Estate

Great Product but support has changed

Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros

ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons

Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

Chelsey H.
Industry: Real Estate

Easy to use, no major flaws

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

Cons

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Marianne H.

Streamlined Accounting

Reviewed on 2020/06/29

Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

Cons

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

Corinne S.
Industry: Management Consulting

Only one complaint

Reviewed on 2020/03/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I love the software, I hate how much it cost me. Please adjust for the small end user

Pros

Easse of use and how everything is tied in from advertising the unit to renting it, leasing and collecting the rent then finally moving them out :)

Cons

Cost, I think it is too expensive. I do not understand why when you have more and more users my bill keeps going up. for God's sake scottie send this small business owner a line..we are drowning in the cost but can't compete without the software....so I pay..

Drew S.

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Response from AppFolio

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Sarah D.
Company size: Self Employed

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Reviewed on 2019/12/17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

Jon G.

Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn

Reviewed on 2019/12/10

AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros

The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons

If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

Cj A.

Very Nice Property Management Solution

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros

Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons

Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.