AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

AppFolio Property Manager

Cloud-based property management software

4.5/5 (1150 reviews)
Krystal T.

Thank you for making our lives easier!

Reviewed on 2019/08/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros

Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons

That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

Julie L.

Appfolio Saved Our Office

Reviewed on 2019/07/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been able to increase our accounts without too much work overload due to the functionality of adding new properties/owners and the streamlined nature of the entire program. We could not have done it without Appfolio! Our implementation was extremely organized, and they kept us on track to make sure all deadlines were met to launch at our goal date.
We've now been using Appfolio for 18 months and I have not had one major issue with functionality, customer service or anything else. I honestly could not be happier and feel I'm getting the best value and peace of mind all at once!

Pros

What I like the most about Appfolio..... that I can come into work daily and not stress about overall functionality of software. I know it's going to do what it needs to do, and if it doesn't, customer service will help me sort things out!

Cons

I cannot speak to this. I used a different program before Appfolio that was nothing short of a nightmare, so I am grateful for every bit of Appfolio from it's ease of use to it's nice, friendly design.

Sheryl M.

Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros

I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons

This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

Yan S.

Great product and really terrible support

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

5.0/10
Pamela C.

Always evolving to keep up with or ahead of the customer!

Reviewed on 2019/07/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Loved it then, loving it even more now, hope to never stop using it.

Pros

Most people don't like change, need change and can't get it or can't get it quick enough. Appfolio is so user friendly, allows you to train yourself, reach out for support when needed or allows you to interact with other users in a forum. They say it takes a village sometimes and Appfolio has created that village atmosphere. You have options and so many paths to take but without the feeling of getting totally lost to get to where you need it's almost adventure time every time I log on. I love all the updates for things I didn't even know I needed until they put it out there. They don't just change things and hope you catch on, they notify you of all the updates with an explanation and guide in advance. I've seen them put changes into action that other users have asked for and voted on (yes that's a thing, got to love democracy and what software platform allows it's clients to even have a say on a daily basis? Appfolio does.) If anyone in the relationship is doing wrong by the other it would be our office for not using all that Appfolio has to it's fullest extent. Thank you for allowing us to thrive now and strive towards the ever evolving future of Property Management.

Cons

There have been a few work arounds or new features we didn't quite get it to work the way we wanted but most of it is personal pickiness or just not having the time to train and find a way to make it work. The inspections I know are being updated and getting there but really hoping to be able to do inspections onsite, pictures, notes, having tenants sign electronically off on move in and out condition notes as well as sending them copies at completion as we've seen with some other apps and software programs outside of Appfolio.

Bill H.

A "looking forward" Solution

Reviewed on 2019/05/28

This software has made our lives easier, and more productive. I have been able to send funds to a client who needed them desperately from the deck of a cruise ship. We are all very happy with our choice of AppFolio.

Pros

We have been using AppFolio for five years now. In that time, the features and adaptability of the software have increased significantly. When adopted the software, it really wasn't really geared toward commercial properties or owners associations. Since that time, they have really made it a great solution for us in those segments of the property management profession.

They listen. They make changes/additions to the features based on feedback from the users. They can't satisfy every individual firm's specific method of handling an issue, but they really pay attention to providing a feature for the vast majority of users.

One amazing feature they added was at a customer conference. At the beginning of the conference, they took a poll of what one feature would the users like. The overwhelming majority selected a calendaring feature. The initial roll out of that feature was released by the end of the two day conference. Since then, the calendar feature has become very robust and a great management tool.

Back-up issues are no longer a worry.

Cons

Nothing so far.

Another Pro: Another example occurred shortly after the first conference I attended. I was sitting at one of the outstanding mixers. A gentleman sat down next to me, said that he was with AppFolio. He asked if I had any suggestions as a new user. I said that as a data entry convenience (I'm an old programmer from the '60s), I was all about reducing keystrokes. I mentioned that it would be nice if you were in a date field that you could change the date by tapping the + or - keys. Turns out that he is one of the leaders of the firm, and the feature was activated in most date fields by the end of the week.

Response from AppFolio

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Bill and for continuing to partner with AppFolio. We look forward to continuing to work together!

Laura P.

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Reviewed on 2019/05/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros

There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons

Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Sherrie w/ professional M.

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019/04/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros

I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons

I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

Paris S.

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

*Convenient user access on computer & phone.
*User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations
*Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers.
*Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New"
*Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized
*Paying vendors via direct deposit.
*Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing.
*Helps organize functions

Cons

*Expensive.
*Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up.
*Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount.
*Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else.

Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Melissa B.

Appfolio Review

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Pros

Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so.

Online payments have similar benefits. Most of our tenants pay online and it's so nice that we don't have to record each of those payments; they're automatically applied to the tenant's account.

Another feature that we use a lot is the credit and background checks. It's conveniently built into the application and helps us screen applicants efficiently.

I like that Appfolio offers texting and emailing. It makes it easy to see what was communicated and it's all on the tenant's page and I don't have to pull up multiple windows for that.

The newly-developed tenant insurance coverage feature allows me to track who has coverage and who doesn't, and to email them notifications if their insurance has expired. It also shows which policies expire in 30 days, which is great for reminding people before their policy expires so they have continuous coverage.

I appreciate how AppFolio continues to improve their product and develop new features. They allow users to make suggestions and comment on suggestions as well.

Cons

I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues.

It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

Response from AppFolio

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

Sarah K.

Chatel Real Estate

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros

I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons

Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

Response from AppFolio

HI Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Jeff B.

Good product, improvements slow to take

Reviewed on 2018/12/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

While the community conversations for improvements to the software is great, it's tough to know that any software engineer is listening. It seems like it would be very easy for move-outs to automatically prorate rent (where is it legal to collect full rent for a mid-month move-out?!?!?!) IF I could just talk to an engineer. It seems like it would be very easy to ask for an actual button for prorated rent rather than something that is a link everywhere on the internet. These simple things should not get lost in the community.

Pros

This is a great product for property managers and tenants. The leases are easy to issue and easy to sign. The tenants have a great portal. Customer service is mostly great- sometimes I want a quicker response, but the reps are great. It is easy to find information and easy to adjust information.

Cons

It is too easy to adjust information in some places and there are confusing breaks in logic for inputs from one section to the next. For example, the recurring charges section of the move-in process is identical to the monthly charges section of the tenant page, except that there is no option to have an end date. Move-in charges from the move-in process do not show up on the itemized rent roll. When asked about why this is, the customer service agent said that people don't want security deposits on the itemized rent roll. The answer to this is, like any other charge in the system, to hide the security deposit charges columns on the itemized rent roll. There is no need to restrict the information on a report when a report is customizable. We offer one-time concessions and, in order to get them on the rent roll, we have to use the recurring charges section. This, of course, allows for human error in having one-time concessions go on for the entire term of the lease.

Response from Torri

Dear Jeff, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate the feedback and we have made sure that it has reached our product development team. You do have the ability to prorate the last month's rent for residents and we'll follow up with instructions for this task. We read through every piece of feedback posted to our product boards and we take the feedback seriously. Thanks for being our partner.

7.0/10
Dean M.

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

I wouldn't manage property without it.

Pros

1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't.
- Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely.
2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged.
- late fees get charged automatically. This trains tenants to pay automatically. No more not paying late fees. " It's already charged and it's part of your lease ".
3. When communicating with tenants electronically, there's a record of the conversation.
- " I didn't say it was my fault ". This is no longer an argument. Every text, email, and even notes from phone conversations are stored in the tenant profile.
4.Utility billing can become a profit center instead of a nightmare.
- When incorporating RUBS or just paying for the water bill, when done with the correct process, unpaid utilities can legally incur late fees which makes tenants pay them instead of sticking the owner with them at the end of the lease.
5. It's much easier to protect a property through liability insurance.
- By using the automatic liability insurance module, there is much less of a chance in lapsing renters insurance and the property has a better chance of recuperating losses due to " I fell asleep while the stove was on ". Yes, this has actually happened.

Cons

Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!

Tyler K.

Overall Fantastic Software that is always adding features!

Reviewed on 2018/02/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The updates and the "what's new" feature are great, this software keeps evolving along with our business.
Ability to mass-email or mass-text a property is great, and all the recording-keeping is great for peace of mind.
Can't possibly imagine doing business without the organization of AppFolio.
Universal Search is great, fast, and efficient.
The mobile app is great.

Cons

The customer support can take a while, as in, there is no direct call option. Submitting a support request and waiting is fine most of the time, but having an "emergency" option would be great.

Lack of specific rules for rent controlled areas. For example, Oakland and Berkeley have different rules for rent control and we have to constantly edit the auto-populate letter. It would be fantastic to have the option to have the option to have a different auto-populate letter for each property. Each City requires different things to be referenced.

Charges are often auto-generated in the middle of the night when you manually onboard new tenants. For good record keeping, it's helpful to record when a rent charge started so we know accurate historical data and another way to know when tenants are eligible for a rent increases. But when we do this the system creates a charge for the current month in the middle of the night, which has to be manually reversed. The flow from application to move-in is very impressive, but AppFolio isn't as smooth when you take over management of a property that already has tenants, which is almost always the case.

We've received some negative feedback from the call center, including a time where a tenant called to complain about the door being on the wrong side on a new fridge. The tenant said a female employee laughed at him. Personally I think this is hilarious, and there is a part of me that is glad she laughed at him, but it just made matters worse. Also the occasional complaint about not being able to get through to someone.

There are requested features that seem reasonable and have a lot of support in the online community, but they don't happen, or at least not right away. I suppose you don't want to spoil us, but things like "weekly recurring work orders" and being able to toggle "payments required in full" for individual tenants seem like things that happen. Ultimately these are good things b/c I assume they will happen, but almost having the feature is painful.

Electronic Payment requires a cell phone. This is kind of strange and would love to be able to just submit payment without the phone.

Response from Torri

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for providing your honest feedback. If you are ever experiencing an urgent issue, you can add this to the subject of your support request and we will try our best to facilitate your urgent needs. We are constantly seeking to improve our product and support offerings and I have forwarded your product feedback to all of the appropriate teams for review. They will also reach out to you if they need more information. We appreciate your interaction with our user community as we continue to implement new features from our Product Suggestion Board! We look forward to our continued partnership!

Terri W.

Accounting using AppFolio for 7 years

Reviewed on 2017/11/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am not a computer geek, but have had a little computer programming training in the past. As I read the different users complaining about things or how they think their issues should be addressed in the upgrades to the system sooner than other issues, I wish I could open their eyes to finding creative ways to make things work for them till the next improvement arrives. AppFolio is a very elaborate program and there are multiple ways to accomplish almost every task needed in the property management field. AppFolio's development staff has a very complicated job to make this program work perfectly for all their users coming from all different kinds of backgrounds and from what I have seen over the past 7 years, they are doing an amazing job (and it appears they have a lot of fun in the process).

Pros

The support staff is amazing. Responses are within 12 to 24 hrs and solutions are found or suggestions for the future improvements. Over the past 7 years I have watched with admiration as this program has blossomed, filling the needs of multiple users in detailed ways. I use AppFolio in two different accounting venues, one with a large property management company servicing over 1600 home rentals, the other with one owner handling his 325 apartment units. This program provides excellent adaptable reports for both aspects of a property management company and for one owner with multiple apartment complexes in all phases of financial accounting, rental reports and maintenance. AppFolio encourages all discussions between all users and the staff of AppFolio resulting in ongoing improvements and additional options within the program. To be quite honest, since my specialty is the accounting department, there are many parts of AppFolio that I have not had the privilege of really working with, but those that I have come across look to be as detailed and helpful as the accounting processes. The Help & Training section within the program is also evolving and very detailed in explaining how things work.

Cons

If I had to find something I didn't like it would be the constant change that requires me to think and be constantly attentive to the processes in the program. It seems that almost every week there is a subtle or large change that rocks me for a moment. It is frustrating at times to stop and relearn a process. But then to my amazement I am once again loving this program even more and all that it does to make my job easier. You can't use this program out of habit. It is always evolving for the better.

Christine W.

Took a bit to get the hang of it, but would NEVER go back!

Reviewed on 2017/07/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

1. It has what I want from a property software,and if they don't have it, they will if you ask!
2. The customer service is spot on, they really love their customers and it shows!
3. Notes for EVERYTHING with PICS! No more tenants claiming they don't know what you're talking about or not knowing what they are trying to tell you is wrong with their units!
4. It makes it easy to keep track of all the data we have, literally everything has a place to be put.
5. I really love how in depth the help pages are and the fact that there are forums for the users to talk to each other about what they deal with and how they have worked around issues. It can take some time to find the right thing sometimes, but you can always find a way to make things work. Appfolio is very adaptable and it feels like there is no one way to use it. It works with each person in their own way!

Cons

1. The accounting took awhile to get used to and can be a little clunky and confusing at times (and I have an accounting degree).
2. Customer service can take up to 24 hours to get back to you, while that is still a good response time, when you have accounting questions, it can seem like forever.
3. Having the option for so much data can make it hard to remember WHERE your data for a particular item got placed. Was it the unit page? Owner page? Tenant notes? Vendor notes? Maintenance notes? Who knows! It would be great to see a system that links together notes a little better with catch words or a notes search option by date etc to make finding the large volumes of data we collect a little easier. But it is STILL a far better system than anything we have used before.

Response from Mackenzie

Dear Christine, thanks for sharing your review! We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and are happy to see that appfolio has been a significant improvement from your last solution. We look forward to always improving our software for your use!

Lisa T.

Appfolio is AWESOME!

Reviewed on 2017/07/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The customer conferences are so beneficial and give the opportunity for new customers to talk with your staff directly and other Appfolio users. I believe this was key when we first converted and were going through the growing pains ourselves. Now that we have used this product for several years- I like to attend the conference, not only to connect with your team in the genius bar and in the classes--but to help the newbies by sharing our experiences with them and tell them about our processes. I just think overall the conference helps everyone get reconnected and I find it very beneficial.

Pros

The appfolio team listens to their end users and encourages input/feedback, so that they can make changes/upgrades on a continual basis. This, in my opinion, is one the biggest things that puts Appfolio WAY ahead of its competition.
The program is stupid-easy to use. (seriously, training on this system is a breeeze--it is truly "user friendly")
Texting and email ability allowed me to cancel another paid service I used to use--and these features are SUCH a time saver, plus our residents LOVE it! PLUS the system keeps the documentation- I don't have to spend time adding it in as a note! Win-win!
Online payments free up SO much of my time now. (Residents love the convenience as well) The majority of my property pay online!!

Cons

I can't think of one thing! I just really like Appfolio and I believe that the company has their fingers on the pulse of what we need. THANK YOU!

Response from Mackenzie

Dear Lisa, thank you for your kind words! Our team loves seeing and working with you at our annual conference - we all truly enjoy meeting our customers face to face each year. We look forward to continually improving your experience with AppFolio and giving you the tools you need for your business. We hope to see you again at this year's conference!

David W.

Outstanding software, but customer service could be better

Reviewed on 2017/06/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the software platform and I have not regretted switching to AppFolio from our previous property management software platform. Making the switch to AppFolio was a very beneficial business decision, from a number of perspectives.

Pros

AppFolio is very intuitive and the learning curve for basic functionality and navigation within the software is relatively short. The "help" section is generally very informative. From a property management, unit-based accounting perspective, the software is very robust and offers tremendous bang for the buck. Using the software platform streamlines work flow and provides increased efficiency within the office.
The Tenant and Owner Portals are hugely beneficial for all parties. Paying rent (Tenants) or sending funds for maintenance & repairs (Owners) is simple and quick.
The ability to submit online maintenance requests through the Tenant portal is also a positive feature of the software. Work orders can be generated directly from the maintenance request and they can be easily tracked to completion.
The text & email capabilities within the software are also positive features. Having the ability to review email/text history without having to search through an external email program is terrific.

Cons

The Tenant Move Out & Security Deposit Disbursement process is one of few features that I don't care for. Processing security deposit claims where a portion of the SD is forfeited to the owner, a portion of the SD is forfeited to the management company and a portion of the SD is refunded to the Tenant is not a smooth or intuitive process. Security deposit funds cannot be retained within the escrow account until funds can be legally disbursed - they are automatically transferred from the SD escrow/trust account to the management/property account. This places an additional burden on accounting staff to ensure that funds are not inadvertently released/disbursed before statutory time frames allow.
It would be helpful if the state specific SD disbursement protocol could be customized by the end user.

Response from Mackenzie

Dear David, thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy that AppFolio has been a beneficial change for your business! We have made significant changes to the move-out process and next up we'll enhance the move-out accounting flow. When our product team begins researching the needs for the move-out/security deposit accounting flows we will have a Product Manager reach out to you directly to learn about your use of this feature!

Matt P.

AppFolio Review

Reviewed on 2017/05/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

AppFolio is a wonderful software overall. We just need the ability to create custom workflows, procedures, activities, inspections.

Pros

Online rent pay, online Leasing, integrated accounting, integrated website, the ability to broadcast to multiple third party websites during Leasing, automatic applicant and tenant notifications when scheduling a showing.

Cons

Need customizable project management checklists. We systematize everything. We create workflows and procedures for everything so we do things the same way every time. A perfect example for this would be during move in / move out. There are 20 steps that must be completed every time a tenant moves in and moves out. We have these steps written down in Excel. But Excel checklist is not a shared list so we have no idea when things are completed. We work in different locations. We would have better communication if there was a live custom checklist that we could create and use under a couple different workflows in af. It would be ideal to have "add custom workflow" as a drop down during certain processes. For example during the "initiate move out" process. On page 1 of the move out process, we could then choose which checklist to use. Better yet in the checklist it would ask if you want that to be included every time one of the following processes occur. That's perfect. Then the users have no choice but to complete each task in the workflow. That checklist would be integrated with the pertinent users desktop as open activities. you can have 5 different users are assigned to specific tasks in the checklist and the ability to set deadlines per task. And when there are multiple users, each user only has authority to check off the tasks they were assigned to. Then it would date and time stamp each completed tasks in the checklist ss completed. Of course we would need the ability to assign tasks between users in the event a user is out or an available at this time. Examples of some recurring tasks that we do during every move out are: post home for online install for rent sign, clean carpets, Janitorial, etc. AF should add custom user titles per property or per Property Group. This way you can click to assign who's the maintenance supervisor, maintenance tech, property manager, on-site manager, janitor. That information would then be accessible in letters and in this case when assigning tasks. For example clean carpets always goes to that user title, etc. As the move in move out deadline approaches, everyone involved in the checklist workflow can view exactly what stage the progress is at. And alerts could go out if someone misses their deadline. One other nice feature would be that if we make a task required then the subsequent task cannot be checked off until the preceding task has been checked off. So move in move out is one example where this would come in handy. Eviction would be another time. And this would be extremely helpful for remodeling... perfect example is never install flooring before the interior is painted.

Inspections need help as well. We don't use inspections in af because of this. Once an inspection is completed any user can delete it. It needs to be non-modifiable once completed. Also, we should have multiple types of inspections. In particular, one for move in move out that would have two columns one for move-in condition and one column for move out condition. Then we can compare condition when the tenant moves out against the info they completed when they moved in. Further, this should be integrated into the tenant portal so the tenant can complete the inspection themselves as they walk through the home. A copy can go to the property manager who can then agree or disagree with each of the findings. Then a copy of the inspection would be made available in a PDF format for the tenant in there tenant portal just like a copy of the lease is available. Lastly, currently we can only add photos to an inspection when an item needs repair. That's not the case. Just because damage exists does not mean that we will make repairs but we do need to document the condition in most cases. An example would be scratches on a stainless steel refrigerator door. We may note that they exist just so that we know the new tenant is not responsible for the damage but the scratches aren't bad enough to Warrant purchasing a new refrigerator.

It would be nice to have a box to check to automatically send digital birthday cards to all tenants, vendors, etc. And if people want to go old school, you could make this a profit Center for AF. Where you have a subsidiary or partner printing company that will send holiday cards and birthday cards at the appropriate times if we enable that feature period then all the data is pulled directly from the tenant profiles so they get their birthday cards on time.

Response from Mackenzie

Dear Matt, thanks for sharing so much detailed feedback with us! We love hearing from our customers and will definitely share your thoughts with our teams. We hope that as you spend more time with AppFolio you will be able to realize the full value of our program for your business and find new success!

Nori F.

Appfolio is a great basic software program for small to medium sized Property Management companies.

Reviewed on 2017/02/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been a client of Appfolio since their onset and helped them with Beta testing when they rolled out their product over 8 years ago. It was a great alternative to Yardi Enterprise which we were using at the time. There are many features which help make our processes functional and smooth and it is a nice looking program.

Pros

The integration of the program with our website helps cut down on many steps and the marketing and accounting features are well laid out and easy to use.

Cons

The maintenance section is very basic and does not have nearly enough flexibility for our growing maintenance division. We did not really outgrow this segment of the program until 2 or 3 years ago. Now we have signed up with another software company to manage the maintenance side of our business. This is also not a great program for companies who have a combination of services, it's mainly geared toward fee managed residential property managers. Besides residential property management, we handle construction and remodeling, commercial property management, real estate sales, and self-storage management. Most of these other services are handled through software programs besides Appfolio.

Response from Mackenzie Nielsen

Dear Nori, thank you for your review and for providing us with detailed feedback! We appreciate your partnership with us since the beginning, we hope to continually support and keep loyal customers like you happy! We are currently working on many updates for the maintenance features, one of our Product Specialists will be reaching out to you directly to discuss how these new updates will support you, as well as gather more information on what other features you are in need of for a seamless maintenance experience. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you for many years to come!

7.0/10
Tamra B.

AppFolio

Reviewed on 2016/10/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The product overall is a very nice product for a residential management application. User friendly, decent functionality, clean look. Sales and implementation teams are very responsive; the continuation teams are not quite as responsive or accessible. They have a user forum where suggestions, questions and answers can be submitted and reviewed. They are continually improving the product and consider user suggestions in their enhancement process.

That said, we manage commercial properties, not residential. We knew there would be some adjustments in processes and procedures we would need to make but the platform is NOT overall conducive to commercial management as we were led to believe. We were so excited to finally streamline some of our processes while adding tenant and owner portals, so when this failed, we were incredibly disappointed. While they are on the right track and may have a solid commercial management product down the road, they are definitely not there yet if the user is managing multiple properties, especially if the properties have independent banking accounts.

It was difficult to properly rate the product as I believe it is a great product for the correct application and certainly competitively priced and affordable. However, our experience was less than favorable due to the inconsistencies and limitations for our needs.

Pros

Very user friendly; clean look; multiple search functions; decent reporting; user portal functionality; great implementation team; decent support; continually adding new features and enhancements; affordable - great value for the investment

Cons

Very limited for commercial property management applications; accounting platform does not adequately support multiple or independent accounts for individual properties; tenant and owner profile info pages are very limited for a commercial

Response from Mackenzie

Hi Tamra - Thank you for posting a review, we appreciate your willingness to share your feedback as we are always seeking to improve our offering! When your company decided to leave AppFolio in April, our Customer Success team learned in detail about the challenges you had with our system. Since then, we have improved the tenant portal experience for commercial tenants and are continually making improvements to our accounting and reporting workflows. We have many happy commercial property managers using our system and hope that you will consider us again in the future!

6.0/10
Margo L.

Appfolio: The Cutting Edge Experience

Reviewed on 2018/06/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have been using the Appfolio software for 18 months now and I am still learning ways to customize reports so that I only see pertinent information. I discover ways of inputting information and narrowing my searches for information, such as finding information about appliances, which SKU we purchase for the apartments so I can give this information to the vendor which saves me and their employee valuable time and frees us up to serve more customers. I <3 Appfolio!

Pros

Appfolio is a property manager's 'one-stop shop'. I am the office coordinator, partnering with the property owners and maintenance manager. If our employees can't find the information they need about a tenant, application, report or work order, then we need to train better because Appfolio provides the templates to input any information needed to screen applicants, communicate with tenants, manage work orders, locate a property by link to Google maps. Every page has a feedback/suggestion link at the bottom of the page. We receive regular notifications of updates by the Appfolio team. I don't work with accounting, but if a vendor calls about payments or account information I know how to access it and even narrow my searches.

Cons

It would be most helpful if work orders could be categorized since we have maintenance employees who specialize in plumbing and HVAC. It would also be helpful if a work order that has been marked 'Urgent' pulled to the top of the list or color-coded red so that it was instantly recognized as urgent by our maintenance personnel.
There just aren't a lot of cons from the aspect I work from.

Response from Torri

Dear Margo, thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We love partnering with you and it's great to hear that AppFolio is your one-stop shop for property management!

Krickett A.

Best decision we've made

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

AppFolio has made our business more efficient which has enabled us to provide a higher level of customer service not only to our clients but our customers as well.

Pros

There are several features to the software that make it a great product for our team to use.
#1. The ease of use and overall aesthetic functionality is hands down best I've seen.
#2. The ability to have all of our property management activities done out of one centralized location has increased our efficiency.
#3. We love the conversational component of AppFolio. Being able to communicate with our resident base out of the system and have that communication recorded is a value add unlike anything else. Documentation of conversations is hard, especially since we are people, AppFolio takes the excuse out of not recording conversations.
#4. The evolution of AppFolio is amazing. In attending my first conference I discovered that the ability for AppFolio to create such an evolving product is tied into not only the phenomenal leadership but also to the phenomenal talent and passion among the team. I love that they listen to what the customer wants and 9 times out of 10 makes it happen. Such a customer service focused environment.

Cons

If I were to say there is a feature I like the least about AppFolio it is that we can't yet have the vendor communication recorded anywhere but the vendor page. I'd love to have all vendor communication link back to the work order for a more complete conversation log.

Cheryl S.

Easy Program to Learn!

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Pros

I started in property management in 2015 with absolutely no experience with PM or PMOS!
My boss and I went over running owner reports and monthly statements, but that was about it. Everything else I had to learn on my own.
I'd say I was at 80% of mastering all the features and systems within about a week. Luckily, the "support" system has become much more efficient that my predecessor's notes said. Presently, the longest you ever have to wait for support is about 12 hours.
They always develop new features which makes things easier. I particularly like being able to "Text Unit" or "Text Property" features. Tenants can "text" back, but it comes in the form of an email. If you use your personal phone for business, this is tremendous!!!!
You can also see who made edits which is nice. My office only has 2 people, but I can imagine that if you were in a larger office you would want to be able to note who made what changes and why.
Move out accounting is super easy with Appfolio - saves me a lot of time generating move out reports.
And finally, I'd say that online applications really streamline the process. This is by far my fave feature of Appfolio.

Cons

While I can allocate certain payments, I can't seem to allocate charges. I'd like to be able to do that. Also, transitioning tenants from one unit to the other is confusing. It's not hard to do, but I don't follow the logic. That might just my fault.

Nicholas P.

AppFolio Property Manager is A+

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

We used to use a separate system to receive rent payments and would have to manual enter them into Appfolio. By using Appfolio for all payments it has cut down on human error with the data entry and saved HOURS of data entry. We have also saved time and issues by having the tenants enter their maintenance request instead of them telling us and then us entering it. This way they explain exactly what the issue is and can't say I said this or that when we entered it. Just a better way of running a business. Oh and the owner statements pull everything from the system instead of us keeping a spreadsheet with the payments and charges - save time and possibly more human error.

Pros

There are so many features that are great, but there are too many to list. It is great to have all the information in one location from the guest card to the leasing. Having all the online rental payments go right onto their ledger saves so much time. We love also being able to pay owners and vendors from the same system. There are so many features we have not even begun to use and it is just a great system.

Cons

We do not like that we are not able to download the ledger with a total of charges and payments at the bottom of the ledger. They used to offer it and when tenants or cosigners had questions it was a huge help. Another issue we have is not being able to send the letters via email to the cosigners. Most of our tenants are students and the cosigners pay the rent and we need them to get the email letters. Few other things but the PROS outweigh the cons by far.