TestGorilla

Pre-employment testing software for HR professionals

Michael W.

Great help for startups

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Overall it helped us to professionalize our recruitment process. Also it provided good candidate experience and demonstrated that we are serious about hiring top quality candidates. It has been quite easy to setup and has become an integral part of our recruiting

Pros

We appreciated how easy you get define test batteries and how many modules are already available for different roles. Therefore we employed testgorilla to select pre-filter candidates as diverse as marketing, software engineering and product management.

Cons

I would love to see more in depth analysis on candidates individual results and what that means for the interview process. Some of the analysis seems quite generic.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Michael! Glad to know TestGorilla has helped you pre-filter candidates. We're working on making our candidate analysis more robust.

Would you mind talking a bit more about your experience? My email is [email protected] if you're open to it.

Daniel D.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Great concept, slick, easy to use, but has bugs, too few assessments

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

-My account manager reached out to me only for the purpose to ask for a review without dealing with or expediting my technical issues.
-I was able to get up and running in a short time, but then I lost time as I had to deal with several bugs (tests nullified, waiting for tech support, having to 'ask' for credits, having to mark my own custom questions that had specific answers pre-selected)

Pros

-The system was easy and fast to implement.
-I was very impressed with its ability to accurately assess my MBTI type with few questions. (I'm certified in MBTI)
-The price was easy to accept as a small business.
-The assessments were difficult to allow for differentiation between candidates.

Cons

-I added some custom questions that were not HTML friendly and this nullified the whole assessment including non-related ones, that a candidate took and I had to approach the candidate to take the assessment again which didn't show well on me. Tech support had to fix my specific test, but I wonder if they will re-code the platform to accept multiple 'spaces' in a question. I think the platform is too new to be reliable.
-The tech support did not provide me with another credit after having an assessment was nullified.
-The tests were too difficult for more junior positions.
-There were few options to customize the delivery of the assessment. (e.g, add more custom questions than 10, have the platform notify the administrator that an assessment was complete)
-With custom questions, even though you select the correct answer, the system did not 'mark' or give me a percentage correct.
-The platform doesn't inform you when an assessment is complete (at the time of writing this review, I don't know if they would correct it after this review.)
-Only a few dozen tests are available and the majority are for coding and hi-tech.

Response from TestGorilla

Glad to hear TestGorilla is easy to use! We're always adding testswe're currently at over 115 as of 2/3/21and it's good to hear they helped with candidate selection.

It sounds like your issue was resolved, but let me know if you need more help!

Nasia B.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

A real timesafer!

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

I am very happy with this invention and will definitely keep on using it!

Pros

I love this tool! We used it to find a Customer service agent for our company Sukhi: we had over 1200 applications! Can you imagine how much work it would have been if we had to go through their CVs and emails one-by-one?
The average test score is my favorite tool: a great way to distinguish between the candidates. Plus the option to ask the candidates to add a video: it gives a very good first impression combined with their test results.

Cons

The software is very clear and logical, no negative feedback.

Response from TestGorilla

1200 applications?! We're so glad you didn't have to pore over them one by one :)

Richard K.

Specific assessments for company's particular needs

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

Helpful in trying to get a more holistic view of candidates and how their strengths or weaknesses might factor into the role and the team they would be coming into.

Pros

The "Culture Add" assessment helps narrow in on whether the prospective employee will be a good fit when it comes to what they value and what the company values. Also, it gives the applicant a chance to list their own strengths, and see if those are strengths that the manager feels are an asset to the organization.

Cons

The Big5, 16PF, and Enneagram assessments probably aren't appropriate for hiring, as they don't filter for people trying to make a good impression. I wish Test Gorilla had a vetted personality test that was long enough that it could parse out honest answers from manipulated ones.

Response from TestGorilla

Glad to hear that our culture add test is helping you find candidates who are a good fit for your organization, Richard! Personality tests aren't recommended for final hiring decisions (partly for the reason you mentioned), but we provide them to give you additional insight to take into interviews.

Jasper M.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

TestGorilla saved me time and money

Reviewed on 2020/09/11

Pros

I like the variety of tests that we have used to hire software developers and data scientists. The platform is easy to use and easily connects to other software (e.g. Zapier) that we are using.

Cons

I would like the idea if TestGorilla would also offer consulting services. I am curious to get their thoughts on how our product roadmap could look like for the next year.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the kind words, Jasper! Glad to hear that our tests have helped you make great hires.

Catherine G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Bain Mexico feedback

Reviewed on 2021/03/12

Pros

Userfriendly, clear instructions and time, offers us as recruiters more creative ways to evaluate candidates.

Cons

Some features on creating the tests, sometimes it was slow .

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Catherine! Glad to know we're helping you evaluate candidates in a more creative way.

Michael P.
  • Industry: Design

Easy to Use Testing Plattform

Reviewed on 2021/01/22

Pros

It's easy to use and helps you to get information about the knowledge of the Testing Person.

Cons

Easy to use palttfrom and you get helpful informations about the testing Person.

Response from TestGorilla

We appreciate the kind words, Michael! Happy to hear that TestGorilla is helping you better understand the skills and knowledge of your candidates.

Gabo P.
  • Industry: Law Practice

TestGorilla better be called TestGuerrilla

Reviewed on 2021/03/09

I'm keeping an organized candidate screening results in my recruitment pipeline.

Pros

It's amazing how a small company can outsmart huge screening big players in this industry. TestGorilla does what the big players don't. Make screening procedures a breeze!!

Cons

Some tests can be improved, but that'll be easy to do over time.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the kind words, Gabo! Glad to know that TestGorilla is making screening procedures a breeze. We're always improving our tests (and adding new ones) so let us know if there's any particular feedback you'd like me to take to the team. Thanks again!

Shannon O.
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Amazing!

Reviewed on 2021/03/15

We are now hiring the right candidates the first time for both skills and culture.

Pros

This software has saved us time and money in our hiring process.

Cons

Have not come across anything at this point.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Shannon! Happy to know that we're helping you hire for skills AND culture for the first time.

Samuel K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great concept, easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/02/17

Overall I am very satisfied with this product. It's easy to set up and a great way to assess candidates skills.

Pros

Assessments are easy to set up. The ability to preview a few questions is very helpful. Assessment difficulty is balanced. It really helped to select the right candidates.

Cons

It would be great to get notified when candidates complete an assessment.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Samuel! Glad to hear that you're finding TestGorilla easy to use. We're adding the ability to be notified when a candidate completes an assessment soon.

My experience of testgorilla

Reviewed on 2020/12/22

Pros

The user experience is very handy and looks clean

Cons

There’s no feature to add due date for exam

Response from TestGorilla

Happy to hear TestGorilla is working well for you! You can't add a due date right now, but you can archive the test when you don't want people to be able to take it anymore (but you'll still be able to see everyone's scores and information). Hope that helps!

Shahzaib G.
  • Industry: Machinery

Overall test experience

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

The customer experience and interface is simply amazing.

Pros

It is easy to use and the customising part is amazing.

Cons

Everything is perfect. However more test can be added.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the review, Shahzaib! Glad you like the TestGorilla experience, and we're definitely adding more tests all the time. Any specific requests?

Lennart H.

Hire with confidence

Reviewed on 2020/08/27

Taking job interviews while having the confidence of the candidates skillset

Pros

Instead of digging through 50+ resumes, you sort on candidates' test scores. Using testgorilla's assesment as an entry point for your selection procedure gives an amazing filter to only let smart, capable, candidates into your further procedure.

I've both selected and not selected candidates that we otherwise would have missed, or would have been an unproductive use of our and their time.

In the interviews we had with the top 5 test-takers we could focus solely on personality and culture fit, having the confidence already that a candidate can perform on a certain level.

Moving forward, we will never post a job offer again without using a pre-selection assessment to filter candicates.

Cons

When used in comination with a job board, we've found candidates that did the test but did not apply, did apply but forgot the test, or did both as meant to happen.

This lead to checking and comparing of both lists of people. This can be prevented by using Testgorilla as the main recruitment tool

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the review, Lennart! We love to hear stories about how our customers are using TestGorilla to avoid mishires and find the perfect fits for their roles. We're especially happy to hear that you've had so much success using assessments at the top of the hiring funnel!

Geert-jan W.

Used TestGorilla to hire external developers

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

Overall very good, we found the right developers who we hired for certain projects.
It made it much easier and for sure quicker when you have many candidates who are applying for one job add.

Pros

Easy to use and ability to choose the right tests from a wide verarity. With the ability to invite candidates in just a few clicks.
Once the candidates invited, it was super easy to track in which part of the process each individual was.
Not to forget to mention, the software makes it possible to request a video presentation from the candidates to fulfill where I could ask for a question or topic they can present themselves.

Cons

It would be good if we could benchmark the scores with an average done overall to better compare the results.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Geert-Jan! Glad to hear you've found TestGorilla so easy to use. Benchmarks are on the way!

Jenifer H.
  • Industry: Restaurants
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Intuitive Hiring System for Pre-Screening

Reviewed on 2020/07/27

Makes identifying best candidate easier.

Pros

The simplicity in filtering candidates.

Cons

Just tested the trial, so overall no issues.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Jenifer! Glad you found it simple to use.

Janis I.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Great product

Reviewed on 2020/12/22

Good experience

Pros

Very user friendly and simple to navigate

Cons

Many areas only had entry level and advanced- no mid / jr level

Response from TestGorilla

Glad you've found TestGorilla easy to use! We're always adding new tests, for example, we've got an advanced Excel test coming out later this month. Let us know if there are particular tests you'd like to see!

Iván G.

Nice tool for the first stage of our hiring process

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

We can easily test hundreds of candidates to filter out candidates that don't really match the position. This save us a huge amount of time on interviews.

Pros

What I like the most is the ease of use and that with a single tool I can test candidates in culture fit, personality, coding skills, and knowledge.

Cons

It would be nice if they had a free tier. The test library could be bigger.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Ivan! We're big believers in multi-measure tests, glad you're finding them to be effective. Our Test Library continues to grow every month, so keep your eyes peeled for new tests!

Mosé t. B.
  • Industry: Accounting

Valuable tool to take unbiased decisions while hiring people

Reviewed on 2021/01/17

I was looking for a candidate with average numerical skills. Testgorilla helped me to waste time and interview people without that skill. Moreover, I am submitting the test before doing the first interview. If the candidate is not taking the time to do the test, he is probably not interested in the job position, and I am not wasting my time with him.

Pros

There are plenty of tests. It is so easy to submit them to the candidates.

Cons

I did not get any notice when candidates ended the tests. Besides most of the time, the test seems to be not ended yet, but in reality, the candidate was done.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Mose! Glad TestGorilla helped you avoid wasting time with unqualified candidates. We do have a notification feature for when tests are completed now.

Marius G.

Simple Screening Changed our Hiring Process

Reviewed on 2020/12/23

Overall it was very satisfactory, you can have your first assessment created, and shared within 10 minutes, and the screening questions, welcome video and anti-cheating functionality is great

Pros

I enjoyed the simplicity in creating, and sharing the assessments for our business. We created assessments across 2 different concurrent roles, and it was easy to distinguish and work through the setup, sharing and results.

Cons

Not being able to complete the assessments for ourselves, or to establish our own internal benchmarks before sharing with candidates is a challenge.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the review, Marius. We're happy to hear that TestGorilla has changed your hiring process! We don't make all of our questions visible in order to protect the validity of our tests so that test takers can't sign up for a free trial and see the test questions in advanced.

Teun P.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

A very helpful tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/01

What we noticed was that we now sometimes hire candidates that we wouldn't even have invited to an interview on the basis of their CV. It really made us realize how flawed CV screening is.

Pros

This product is incredibly helpful in assessing applicants before we interview them. We attract a lot of candidates for our positions and the screening tests from TestGorilla help us in filtering those applications and avoid time consuming interviews for candidates who do not possess the necessary skills.

Cons

A quality engineering test that is not about software would be helpful.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the kind review, Teun! We're happy to hear that TestGorilla is helping you focus your interviews on the top candidates. Our test library is always growing. I'll submit your request to our team!

Amy C.
  • Industry: Automotive

Great system

Reviewed on 2020/12/27

Pros

I would say that I like the variety of test options the most. We have an array of positions that utilize many different skill sets and the tests cover them all. I also like the fact that the site is accessible everywhere therefore the tests can be taken remotely.

Cons

I do not like the fact that there are not training tests, such as Microsoft Office.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the feedback, Amy! Glad TestGorilla is helping you make better hiring decisions faster. We're always growing our Test Library, and we do have a Microsoft Office test now!

Aaron R.

TestGorilla makes hiring fun

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

Pros

TestGorilla was super easy to set up and there are so many really good and comprehensive tests available to choose from for the roles we were looking to fill (mainly marketing related). I also liked that there are several personality-type tests which got me thinking about culture fit instead of just technical skills. Nice touch.

Cons

Haven't found many cons, honestly. There's not a huge learning curve and the product does what it's supposed to do.

Response from TestGorilla

Glad to here that TestGorilla has helped you, Aaron! Based on the research we've seen, we're big believers in multi-measure assessment tests. Sounds like they're working for you!

Bethany F.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 2021/03/05

Pros

Easy set up for assesments of specific positions

Cons

I couldn't enlarge the examples to make them easier to read

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks, Bethany! Glad to hear you found TestGorilla was easy to set up. You should be able to click any image to enlarge it. Let me know if that doesn't take care of it!

What a relief!

Reviewed on 2020/09/02

Very good so far

Pros

We're making a concerted effort to avoid unconscious bias and this helps us do that by relying on data instead of listen to our collective gut.

Cons

I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I don't have any complaints so far

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for sharing your experience! Reducing the impact of hiring bias is one of our top priorities. Glad to hear its helping you make better hires bias-free.

• Industry: Automotive

Very easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/01/29

Pros

It is very user friendly and easy to use with zero training.

Cons

I wish that there were more tests for different types of engineers.

Response from TestGorilla

Thanks for the review! It's good to hear that TestGorilla has been easy for you to use. These Capterra reviews have been a great source of information on what tests to make, so we appreciate the suggestion. I've given it to the test development team.