Emma Reviews

Emma

Campaign designer for email marketing

4.2/5 (105 reviews)

Great ESP for Enterprise Level

Reviewed on 2019/06/24

Great. No complaints. System works as advertised, allows us to use more advance features and integrations and the always available call in customer service is very helpful when needed.

Pros

I currently use this to manager multiple brands as sub-accounts under a single primary account. The interface is intuitive, once you get used to it the builder is more powerful that others out there, and I really enjoy the way segmenting works. Automation is a breeze and multivariate testing works really well and is clear to see campaign specific winners.

Cons

The only real item on my wish list would be the ability to build a segment on the review and send tab instead of actually building a segment, saving it and then going through the process of sending your campaign and selecting the segment then. Would be nice to build segments on the fly based on previous campaigns etc.

Kimberly R.

New Format Needs Improvement

Reviewed on 2016/11/03

You should at least have a customize the group views that the customers can change to their preference. To do some of these changes without notice is ridiculous. People should have the option of seeing things the way we used to, not everyone is like me and I know some people like the new changes. There should be a columns with First and Last Names within the audiences. I can't be searching my larger group of over 4,000 people by email. Also, the search bar should be made available throughout the audience categories and not automatically go into the search. There are times I copy and paste a good email and want to remove a letter because we had it missing and I want to correct the old email. I can't do this anymore. It's been annoying that it seems some of my requests to bring something back won't happen. I don't know about everyone, but when I open one of my groups, I like to see the email, First, and Last name. It helps for when I put in John Doe, that all those named John Doe or with an email of [email protected] appear for me to find the correct one. Not all these emails with no names attached and all I see is [email protected] and [email protected] This should be an easy fix or at least a way for us to lock our preferred view.

Pros

It's pretty quick. Love the Response area and the breakdowns.

Cons

Some of the changes to the Audience. You should be able to minimum keep the First and Last name showing with the email in the groups and searches.

Myca A.

I <3 MyEmma

Reviewed on 2018/04/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The integrations aren't as strong as larger packages, and user flow isn't fabulous, but simply for building gorgeous emails that look good on every platform, Emma is the undisputed leader.

Pros

For nonprofits and small to mid-size businesses, MyEmma is the best, most intuitive email marketing platform around. Their customer service is over the top great, and the service they offer to build templates for you is well worth the small investment! Not only are they good to work with, but the team at Emma are firm believers in giving back to the community, something that comes out in their interactions in small but meaningful ways.

Cons

I would love to see Emma manage more complex data. My heart was broken when I moved to a different organization and was no longer able to utilize Emma due to a more complex data and business unit structure.

Karl T.

Be Cautious of Choosing Emma

Reviewed on 2017/11/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Very bad company to do business with.

Pros

Emma email provide very aesthetically pleasing emails while being user friendly. This this product is competitive with other basic email marketing SAAS products such as Constant Contact and Mail Chimp.

Cons

Don't let their sales staff fool you on their upgraded packages. This is a very basic easy to use email service, that's it. Their upgraded packages which claim to add advanced features and automation don't hold a candle to a true email automation SAAS product such as Infusionsoft etc. Their sales account reps make big claims on the capability of the features but when actually using them, the workarounds that you will need to do are tedious. We have been using Emma for many years because of the attractive email layouts and ease of use. When we saw the promises the upgraded tools promised we were very excited. Unfortunately after really diving in, we found that the tools were not capable of effectively executing the processes and automation sequences that we needed. We signed a one year contract on the upgrade and as LONG time customers were reminded of that when asking to be dropped back to our old package. Because of this, we will be cancelling our entire account when the upgraded package expires. It's unfortunate, as we would have continued to be customers for many years to come. It's definitely not worth the price, and I would not recommend doing business with Emma.

Response from Cliff

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with Emma, and thank you for sharing such honest feedback so we can address your concerns. I'm Cliff Corr, Director of Customer Success at Emma and it's very important to me to understand where we could have provided you with a better product and service experience. That way, I can involve the necessary teams to ensure we make changes to better meet your expectations and business needs. If the training you received wasn’t helpful, I'd love to dig into why and ensure we address that on all future trainings. I will reach out to you directly to set up a time to discuss. Thanks again for this feedback.

1.0/10
Keith O.

Emma Marketing/Email System for higher ed

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

We send regular newsletters to external and internal audiences with Emma at a fair and reasonable price. We also have segmented users by department.

Pros

The WYSIWYG is pretty reliable and intuitive.

The list management is easy to use and sending an email to multiple audiences is so clear that there is no possible confusion to send to the wrong groups.

The emails frequently get sent immediately upon hitting send.

Cons

The copy/paste from Word or from other sources occasionally will cause serious formatting issues that can't be resolved without looking into the source. The Word clipboard feature doesn't always work.

The building out of the design of a template -- specifically the dragging and dropping -- can be frustrating because blocks can't always be relocated where you'd like them to be.

At times, the format of font -- ital, bold, underline -- can get "stuck," meaning you have to go into the source to re-format.

Cory N.

Lacks functionality, no reason to spend on Emma with so many great competitors out there

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

(continued)
- They have a field for custom preview text, but it doesn't work for all email providers.

- Has integrations with very few third-party platforms.

- Automation workflow rules lack some basic functionalities (for example, send THIS given XXYZ open conditions are met)Etc.

- Doesn't allow you to personalize Subject Lines or descriptions

- Only A/B testing available is for subject lines

Pros

The WYSIWYG is easy to use. It has the basic email marketing functionalities.

Cons

This platform is quite primitive. I absolutely DO NOT recommend it. I can't wait to switch to something else once our subscription is up.

If you're an absolute beginner to email marketing or not a marketing person but rather someone taking on marketing responsibilities, then it's fine.

Although Emma looks like a promising, professional platform, in reality, it is quite basic, too top-level (no specificity), not fully customizable, etc.

My biggest gripes with Emma are:

- Insights and analytics are quite lacking. Does not go deeper than open, click rates, and opt-outs.

- Out of all email marketing software I have I used, Emma emails are the ones that go into spam most easily.

No, not "promotions" or "unfocused". Spam.

- The available pre-made email templates look very old-school and outdated. Very 2004. There is no marketplace or option to acquire more.

- Thankfully, you can use your own custom HTML email templates, but the interface is a bit funky. Every time you preview your email and hit "back" it returns you to the top of the frame.

- You can't save custom HTML templates and then edit them as a WYSIWYG like in HubSpot or MailChimp.

- Their email templates are NOT fully cross-browser or cross-platform compatible.

- Emma automatically generates mobile versions for their "mobile ready" themes. Other platforms let you make edits to how your mobile and desktop versions will look separately.

0.0/10
Monica S.

Email Automation and Insight with Ease

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

We are much happier with it in comparison to our formal software Constant Contact - the customer service is just more responsive, and the interface is so easy to use that we are able to have interns use with little direction.

Pros

We are able to manage and automate customer campaigns all with one login - we are also able to visually show our customers the effectiveness of the design and lay out not just the messaging

Cons

I wish that the templates were a bit more flexible so we could create ones not available in the system - however the option to work with a designer is quite nice and have used that service several times.

Pamela C.

EMAIL DEMYSTIFIED

Reviewed on 2018/09/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Companies typically spend ridiculous amounts of money on search engine marketing. This is no longer effective. Spend more on content syndication and companies that provide highly segmented lists with technographic data included. Then use email. For most companies - the website is no longer the destination for finding or educating buyers.

Pros

Fully featured solution for using email to create actionable engagements with customers and prospects. B2B Tech companies don't have to spend valuable budget dollars on costly competitors; with Emma you get all the features you need to educate, engage and convert leads to pipeline. The dashboard tells the story of engagement, the engine has the automation you need to push leads through your funnel. The templates are creative so you can create memorable mail and there is a great resource library to improve your overall approach and skills to have effective email campaigns.

Cons

Needs plug and play with sales activity trackers like Outreach. Could be easier to run multiple campaigns to different segments.

Aly B.

Cut time and reach more

Reviewed on 2016/08/29
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the fact that once you create your groups of people, you can easily send emails to large groups of people that look professional. It also is a way for our organization to quickly alert our members of last minute notifications without having to hunt down emails of who you need to contact, you just select a group! It's also easy to see how many people opened it, if they clicked on it, if they opted out of receiving more, which helps us figure out how many people are actually using the information we're sending.

Cons

You have to 'add' a person, you cant just create a campaign and send it to a list of emails that aren't in the system.

Excellent enterprise email marketing

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

Overall very positive. The cost is very competitive and most of our divisions and departments are actually paying less through Emma than they were with services like Constant Contact (we do cost-sharing).

Pros

Very robust and meets the need of supporting multiple divisions and user groups. We share branded templates globally to get beginners up and running quickly. Feedback is consistently positive that the system is very, very easy to use. Less support issues overall.

Cons

Small issue but it doesn't support multiple users logged into the same campaign in the way that MailChimp did. If two users both log into the same campaign they could overwrite each others work.

Elaine S.

If only they cared about the code.

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

It allows people to design emails in an entirely wysiwyg interface, meaning you don't have to know any HTML.

Cons

Its strength is also its weakness. Emma completely changes and botches your HTML. You cannot enter your own media queries - it completely overrides them, and even in the support forums the requests for Emma not to touch pasted-in HTML have gone unanswered for years. It's like using FrontPage and watching your beautifully-crafted code become a mangled, garbled mess that's very difficult to fix. Even for those who don't code their own HTML, it's perplexing - there are often strange quirks like bold fonts that don't appear bold in inboxes and many other issues because the code Emma uses isn't actually friendly for many email rendering engines (ahem, Outlook). It's also somewhat unstable and clunky - we've found many times when it won't actually save, or it's just running very slowly.

Response from Emma

Hi Elaine,
Thanks so much for the valuable feedback here. I hate that you've had a difficult time using code in our email editor, and trouble with rendering in the inbox. Improvements in those areas are something that is definitely on our roadmap, and I'd love to connect you with one of our product managers to continue the conversation and gain some more insight from you and your experiences.

Be on the lookout for some follow up from one of our amazing Product Managers, Cale. He'd love to continue the conversation.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer some insight into your experience!

2.0/10
Rebecca C.

It is a little more advanced than constant contact, still has the user friendly widgets to create

Reviewed on 2017/11/06

Better looking, more professional templates, more options, better anaylitical properties for response and easier to put together.

Pros

better templates, easy to make templates and you can pay them to create a one-of-a-kind email for your organization.

Cons

it's a little frustrating to have to change the template font to another font. Especially with bullet points. also, you cannot copy and paste into the blocks without creating extra steps.

Shannon M.

Great interface and the team is helpful when you need them!

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

We can streamline our processes for email solicitations, newsletters and use it for both our company and our clients.

Pros

We enjoy the flexibility that we have in their system. We can structure our campaigns differently for each client that we are working with. We use a zapier integration, which has been extremely helpful for us to get the tracking into our internal system.

Cons

There have been a few situations were parts of the platform that we would like to use are in beta and haven't been as easy to use or clear in how we can utilize them to their full capacity.

Rebecca K.

Emma Marketing Software is Easy and Affordable

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

This product allows me to reach law clients for the personal injury firm I currently work for.

Pros

I began using this software during my current marketing position at a large law firm. We send out large email blasts to our clients from Emma. Emma makes it extremely simple to upload email lists, create campaigns and email a large list of clients. Emma email reports are also a great way to see which clients you're reaching, helping you in your marketing efforts. The pricing is also very competitive with other email marketing software, with their base pro price.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this software. I haven't experienced any issues with this email marketing software.

Jade S.

High quality email platform

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

I've been extremely impressed with this software. We switched from another email service about six months ago and have been pleasantly surprised with the user interface, more options, ease-of-use and overall professional quality. Building out emails is a really simple process and they look great with little effort.

Cons

The lightbox form is not something that you can really customize, and when we looked into it we were quoted several hundred dollars by their support team.

Allison W.

Good platform for email and landing pages

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I had great customer service and it has met my needs. The platform is extremely easy to use but I wish it was a little bit more sophisticated on adding new contacts into automated campaigns.

Pros

The price and easy set up. Very easy to set up with our information and start sending out emails.

Cons

The process for adding new people to an automated email list. This was a major time waster for me and I wish there was an easier process for adding new people into an automated campaign.

Kerry B.

Best Email Marketing Tool Available

Reviewed on 2016/06/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product is extremely user-friendly. Has a great list of feature set that meets today's need in the marketing world. And is a great price for the product.

Cons

There really is not anything I don't like. It is a great product all around as it allows you to do simple email marketing, but also allows you to track individual users and their history.

Heather S.

Email Marketing's Best Kept Secret!

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

Pros

great customer service and very easy to use. Drag and drop design and lots of templates to choose from. I've used Emma for almost 15 years. I've seen them grow substantially and their product and service hasn't deteriorated. No need to know html but you CAN write your own code if you know how.

Cons

They are a tad bit slow to adopt to new features compared to competitors BUT when they release updates they WORK. Rarely are there bugs. It's refreshing.

Nikki U.

Emma is easy to use for content marketing - email campaigns and automation.

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

Pros

I love how there are many options for customization, including html editing and custom templates. It's also very easy to learn and use.

Cons

Some of the formatting or back end code can interfere with the html sometimes and then things get a little wonky.

Jill T.

Emma is very user friendly and tech support is great!

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Pros

Emma is always easy to use. On the rare occasions when I have a question or technical issue, customer support has always been very easy to reach, friendly, and quick to resolve the issue. I also like the follow up emails that they send out after the issue is completed.

Cons

My company has multiple accounts for each department and it is awkward to share audiences, etc. between them.

Jeremy A.

Useful email features, but at times a painful experience

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Pros

Emma allows you to send blast emails to different audiences.

Emma's "Segments" allow you to slice your contact list into different segments based on different criteria.

Creating emails is fairly easy and it's not too hard to make something look good.

We use Emma to send ~ 300K emails at a time, which it does well.

Cons

Emma is SLOW. Very very SLOW. The site takes a long time to load anything, which make sending multiple emails a hassle.

The reporting functionality is useful, but not very reliable - I've had an open rate of over 100% before. It's also very hard to segment the reporting - want to see all people who opened your last three emails? You'd have to create a segment and then export that segment to Excel.

Response from Emma

Hi there, Jeremy. Appreciate you sharing your feedback here, and so glad you find it easy to create good-looking emails within the Emma application! I hate to hear that you have experienced extremely slow loading and navigation while working within your account. We¿ve done a lot of work on the backend to maximize page load speeds, and if extreme slowness is something you¿re still experiencing, we¿d love to chat directly around the specifics of your account and that experience to get to the bottom of it. We¿d also want to make sure that we have feature requests logged around the reporting/segmentation functionality you¿d like to see available. You can reach our team on both pieces at (888) 493-2525 or [email protected]!

4.0/10
Bianca L.

Great Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Pros

We handle email marketing for over 50 clients and I like that we are easily able to separate our clients and work on individual accounts. The templates are also very easy to customize and its easy to separate client lists for those who want to send certain emails to certain lists.

Cons

Sometimes when I upload lists I don't believe all the contacts are added. the numbers don't always match and I can't seem to find out why and it's difficult to go back and check. Now I add the emails as I receive them to be safe.

Melinda J.

Easy-to-Use, Basic ESP

Reviewed on 2016/12/15

Emma makes email marketing easy for small businesses, non-web people, and those with low resource availability. It's intuitive and easy to use, no HTML knowledge required. There are hundreds of templates to pick from, or you can upload your own custom emails as well.

One of the major limitations I find in this software is in testing capabilities. A/B/C testing for subject lines is built in, and it will send to the winner after a few hours, but that's it. You can't A/B in email content without manually downloading, splitting your list, and re-uploading it as two different segments. You track the results on your own and send to the remainder of your list. It's time-consuming and cumbersome.

Emma does integrate with many major e-commerce providers. We've used the Shopify integration. That has also been a bit cumbersome. Though we get the emails of purchasers, there aren't very many trigger email options through Emma.

Overall, this is a great little program, especially if you are a small business or don't have an email team. It's not the Cadillac of ESPs, but it all you need is a reliable Honda, this would be a good fit.

Krista S.

positive, though their customer support was always a pain in the butt

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Pros

I liked how easy it was to use, list management capabilities, and template options. It made creating and sending and tracking emails easy.

Cons

We needed something that offered more automation, so a number of marketing tactics (including email) could operate seamlessly together. Emma didn't offer us that, so we switched to HubSpot. I miss Emma though. It was simple and pleasant to use, but we quickly outgrew it.

Grant H.

Emma Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Overall, I prefer Emma over the other options I have been presented with. Emma allows you to show the content in a way in which users prefer to consume it. The statistics of the email campaigns is also a huge pro to the Emma platform.

Pros

What I most like about Emma is the ability to add multiple email lists to one email. I've used other email marketing tools that only allow one group to be added to an email campaign. This causes a lot of frustration and having to create multiple different email lists that have mostly the same people, but different variances. Instead, you can divide those groups up to be specific to what that group is and then add them to the email accordingly.

Cons

What I least like about the software is at times some of the premade layouts are difficult to change. For example, I use the calendar icon on most if not all of my campaigns. The default color of the calendar has a red ribbon on the top. I'm unable to change the color of that ribbon to match the other branding of the page and it sticks out in a negative way as a result.