Expensify

Nasko
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Save Time and Money by Using Expensify

Reviewed on 2022/03/08

Overall very happy with Expensify as a solution that allows me to have all my expenses organized in one place. Would highly recommend using it, especially for its feature that allows me to attach digital images of the receipts to each expense item. It has a great option to submit and send expense reports to multiple people. If you are using Expensify across mutliple users, all the information is easily accessible by every team member.

Pros

A great solution to keep all my expense reports in one place, with a great option to attach PDFs of receipts and/or images of receipts. Expensify can pull data directly from my credit card statements and that feature alone saves a lot of time of manual entering numbers and vendors.

Cons

It can get a little too much to configure in the beginning and navigating down to expense categories is not the easiest to do - it takes time to find things around that I could customize but once these are all in place, using Expensify is fairly easy. Expensify creates automatic names for your reports - make sure you change them to something that makes sense to you and your accountants or everyone will wonder what Expense Report 234902u5435242ewd is for.

Shoaib
  • Used for 6-12 months

Snap...... and its done.

Reviewed on 2019/06/18

From all the other products i tried, this is by far the best and easiest to use.

Pros

The best feature is the smartscan feature. Once you set up the currency, it segregates everything accordingly and saves you the trouble of manually entering it. Even if you have no internet connection, it saves the request and once u go online it will analyze the scan and store it for you.The reports generated are also very well detailed.

Cons

I had a technical error, maybe it was my mistake, because it didnt happen to any of my other collegues where the expense trip report closed automatically. But that is easily solved by logging on the web version and activiating it again.

Zoho Expense

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Mobile app and the reports generated for the expenses , both were far superior to the alternative products.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Affordable and Convenient , yet I plan to leave expensify

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

it is worth trying. but unlike even a year ago the competition is finally offering similar features for similar pricing.

Pros

due to popularity it is easily assesable and offered many ways to upload an expense. I like how unlike most app/software companies gets it as they make if affordable and capture the biggest marketshare.any companies think their software is be get tham it is and is cost prohibitive or have user minimums which usually are not applicable for small business. I love how they are one of the few to offer personal credit card integration feeds. Believe it or not most do not and actually expect us to upload statements

Cons

buggy at times, doesn't transition from mobile to desktop or we based version. mobile app.has far less ability. mostly if fails at the main purpose, saving me time. every months nearly every expense is duplicated, failing to match itself to the credit transactionnand this takes forever to fix. It only sycs properly to the credit transaction if the receipt photo is taken from then app. if you try to upload screenshots? email you invoiced and use the ios "Sent too function" it duplicates the transaction..tech support actually told me to wait for the bank before uploading the receipt. This eliminated the entire point of the product.

Inmoweb, Zoho Expense and Fyle

Fyle

price. integration with cards
Antonella

A Great Expense Management Software

Reviewed on 2024/03/19

Pros

With Expensify, we have best features for managing and reporting travel and time related expenses

Cons

It is all smooth with Expensify. Has all features we need.

Travis

Expensify solved our receipt problems

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

We no longer have to keep paper receipts, and Expensify even tracks international service charges to match out of country purchases to our credit card bills.

Pros

We used to have to keep paper receipts and scan them into emails, Expensify has solved that while also making it easy to reimburse someone when they use a personal account to make a purchase.

Cons

Sometimes Expensify will disconnect with our bank software and we will not be able to submit reports until they reconnect.

Emburse Tallie

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

The ability to have automated reimbursements.
Margaret

Good enough.

Reviewed on 2022/08/04

It works fine, but It could be more flexible.

It works fine, but It could be more flexible.

Pros

I like it because my users like it. They find it to be easy and quick to use.

Cons

From an admin perspective, I find expensify to be good but not great. I wish it had more flexibility with regard to approval flows.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

I didnt choose it, I inherited it from my predecessor.
Alex
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Great way to manage employee expenses!

Reviewed on 2023/05/19

Overall great. Virtual card does not work with our company so we are using another software to integrate that with.

Pros

User friendly and I like that it is streamlined way to input expenses and review.

Cons

The app isn't as user friendly, the app can import invoices better

Teampay and SAP Concur

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

We use TeamPay currently as well, but Expensify is easy to use and our employees are used to it.
Rebecca

Great Software for Managing Receipts

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

Expensify is great for the basic management and processing of receipts on a daily or monthly basis.

Pros

I love that I am able to manage all receipts and put them in the correct accounts. This helps when entering receipts for a bank reconcile. I also love the ease of attaching receipts by many different methods. My favorite is the drag and drop method.

Cons

The software can be a bit difficult to navigate when the receipts are older. You can't go back and edit past mistakes easily.

Joshua
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Expensify Review

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

It's a good program that keeps track of expenses. I've found it to be very convenient and user friendly.

Pros

It is so easy to load in your information, and it guides you along the entire process, as well as providing reminders if you haven't submitted, and lets you know when you will be reimbursed.

Cons

I tried letting the program read my receipt once, and it took forever. Just manually enter the information and you'll have no problem.

Gene

Expensify for expenses

Reviewed on 2020/02/11

I am managing our expenses and tax reporting with Expensify.

I am managing our expenses and tax reporting with Expensify.

Pros

Good value for the cost. It is pretty easy to work with and is relatively customizable. There are several, easy ways to submit expenses.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. It is pretty heavily focused on expense reporting for employees, which takes a little adjustment for my needs.

TurboTax Business

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Better fit for my business. I only needed expense tracking.
Joe
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Long time user

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

Overall, I would steer clear of this platform now there are better, cheaper alternatives. They do not hold up their end of the agreement and also have an archaic pricing model.

Pros

Up until they violated the terms and conditions, the platform was useful and filled our need to reduce/eliminate excel sheets for expense tracking

Cons

There are four things about this software that any potential purchaser should know:
1. Privacy doesn't matter to them. They violate their own privacy policy by sending out non-product related information to their customer base. This violates the agreement that they make you sign.
2. It is expensive. Unless you use the credit card, they charge you a lot. They also sent credit card applications to my entire company without my knowledge.
3. No useful customer service. Their customer service is almost non-existent. You cannot call them. You cannot email them. You are forced to use their concierge function that is essentially useless.
4. It takes 3 -5 days to receive reimbursements after approval.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Concur was very expensive. Expesnify was a little cheaper.
Christie

Good Resource

Reviewed on 2018/06/18

Pros

Our company went from using excel spreadsheets to monitor spending and expense reports to using Expensify once it was launched company wide a year and a half ago. In comparison to the old way of doing things, Expensify is a huge improvement. The software can sync with your corporate card (or personal card, if you'd like) so all your transactions are pulled into Expensify automatically. The only time a manual expense needs to be created is if you paid with cash, used a card that is not synced to Expensify or if you're entering mileage. Entering mileage is my second favorite thing about Expensify. It's very easy and can be as simple as inputting your starting destination and ending destination, and it will calculate the mileage for you. My favorite part of Expensify, however, is the mobile app. It allows you to take photos of receipts right away (especially nice while travelling) so you don't have to worry about collecting receipts and scanning them in once you're back in the office. Another nice feature of Expensify is that you can sort and put filters of your expenses to track category spend. This is very nice for our company as we receive some health wellness benefits that allow u to use X amount of money per year so these filters help us track our personal annual spend.

Cons

There are some features that have limited options for settings. The first example that comes to mind is if you take a picture of a receipt on the Expensify app, it will automatically mark that expense as reimbursable, even if you it's not.

Raphael
Raphael

Avoid at all costs!

Reviewed on 2023/06/30

Overall experience has been *terrible*. I will never ever use this service again nor recommend it to anyone.

Pros

I am the founder/CEO of my company, and adopted expensify because it was simple and easy-to-use, and largely automated expenses/reimbursement and financial reporting of same.

Cons

Unfortunately, something bad has happened to this company since those early days.First, they started putting up these really confusingly-labeled buttons which, if clicked, would automatically opt you in to using their new credit card product. And after I accidentally clicked one of those buttons, there was *no way* to undo it and every employee at my company was emailed a credit card! It was a huge fiasco.We decided to stop using Expensify due to these issues, as well as poor support, at the end of 2022. However, since our cancellation request arrived a few days *after* Jan 1 2023, they refused to cancel our account and continued to charge us over $1400 despite us not using the service at all. Eventually I had to contest the charges and ask our credit card issuer to deny future charges from expensify.

Matt

Expensify for Ecommerce

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros

Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company.

There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses.

I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons

There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Ease of use for end users, but not much functionality, features, or reporting for admins

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

It allowed our company to switch from manual expense reporting to automated expense reporting. We are now switching to a better expense reporting tool.

Pros

Anyone that has a basic understanding of technology can just load the app and use it to submit reports.

Cons

While Expensify is super user friendly for end-users, the admin side of things is severally lacking. There are very few functions and configurations that can be made on the admin side. Also, the direct integration with QuickBooks Online is great and easy to use, but adding accounts in QuickBooks Online sometimes automatically adds accounts to certain expense policies in Expensify, but not all policies. It seems completely random which policies accounts are automatically added to and which ones aren't. Also, the reports you can pull from Expensify for admins is very limited, almost non-existent. I have reviewed lots of other expense reporting tools that provide a lot more for admins.

The only customer support I have been able to find is through their website chat. I've waited multiple days for a response to issues I've had.

Expensify also changed their pricing this year and they simply aren't competitive with other companies unless you lock into a contract of 1 year or more. Every other company I talked has month-to-month contracts with cheaper pricing than Expensify.

Alanna
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Customer Service is Attrocious

Reviewed on 2023/03/14

Terrible

Terrible

Pros

I like the smart scan. I like that they had a trial and thats about it.

Cons

Barely any customer service. Stay away if don't have time or patience to implement with no help. Small companies need something like this with support.

Reasons for Choosing Expensify

To save time and money in the long run.

It was a mistake.

Response from Expensify

Hi there! Have you tried chatting with our customer success team via [email protected]? Our response rate is <2 minutes, which is typically faster than most! Please write in to our team if you have any questions or need help - we'd love to support and help!

Richard

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

Reviewed on 2019/12/16

My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros

What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons

What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

Jennifer

Simple and Easy to Use Expense Tracking & Reimbursement Software

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

Overall, I'm satisfied. Expensify greatly reduced the time required to process and review staff expenses, both those charged on their own credit cards and corporate credit cards.

Pros

Easy to set-up and use. Requires minimal user (employee) training. Integrates well with our accounting platform, Xero. Love the corporate card integration function, which allows administrators to track pending translocation and overall management of the credit card account. Cost is fair.

Cons

Can improve on reporting/analytical capabilities of transactions processed via Expensify. Customer service is almost non-existent, have to rely primarily on community forums to troubleshoot.

Easier to use
  • Industry: Capital Markets

Best expense tool

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

Expensify has made our expense reporting so much more simplified and saved everyone so much time.

Pros

Expensify is in my opinion the best expense option on the market. It is so easy to use and makes expense reports a breeze.

Cons

Not really anything I dislike about expensify, but what I like the least, is I wish the software was a little smarter and able to match expenses if the receipt date is a day or two off from the billing date.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Ease of use and reviews.
Blair
Blair
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great app for tracking expenses

Reviewed on 2019/10/10

Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Pros

It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Cons

There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

Not for Amex Business card users - run!

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

We needed to track our employees expenses. It worked fine for a while. Now, each new Amex business card doesn't integrate (we can't complete the log in process through expensify) so the charges are not coming in. So the time saving tool has become the opposite and is not doing the job we bought it for.

Pros

We loved it for a while. Even our most tech challenged people liked it's user interface, receipt uploading and reporting process.

Cons

For many months now, we have been unable to integrate with our most used and new Amex business card accounts. You can not get anyone on the phone so you're stuck with the concierge (text messages) who I have been bugging about this issue every week for months. They just say "we're working on it" and "sorry!" and " thank you for your patience", and, most annoyingly "have you tried manually entering your expenses?" Yes but when there are hundreds of expenses then that's a problem and why we bought this software in the first place. They keep saying they are close to a solution, testing a solution, but I don't trust them anymore. So we are looking elsewhere.

Davidq

The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

Pros

This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Cons

Expensify's per user pricing can be a large deterrent depending on company size. A bulk pricing option would be much more tantalizing for larger and even mid-size companies.

Kiana

Expense reports made easy!

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

I'm not kidding when I say I recommend this product to EVERYONE! When I give people nonprofit management advice this is at the top of my list. Great experience with this product and fast and effective customer service!

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly and makes expense reports a breeze, no more saving receipts on long trips or doing paperwork. I love that it syncs with your card/bank and automatically brings in the expenses and gets smarter as you set categories so the longer you use it the easier expense reports become. I've only used the expense reports side of things so I can't speak to the other services they offer. But 10 out of 10 would recommend this product, also VERY affordable and you can have on your computer, tablet & phone makingit so easy to use!

Cons

There are times my card/bank becomes unsynced. And it may only be a week at a time. This has happened a handful of times to me in the past 4+ years so not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of. The customer service is always yuck to fix whatever issue though :)

Kelsey
Kelsey
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Expensify in 2018

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Pros

Expensify has a clean and easy to use interface.

Cons

We experienced an issue with our credit card (Bank of America) not linking to our account and when we reached out to support (that we can only chat with instead of calling), we were told they were working to resolve the issue. That was over a year ago and we still have to manually enter expenses. Additionally, Expensify has never offered more support than to say they're working on it. They have not discounted the monthly cost despite our request since we're doing their job for them. Unfortunately, the alternative options aren't amazing yet so we haven't pulled our account but at this point, it's just a matter of time.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Worst Customer Support In the Industry!

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

This company invests NOTHING in their support. While it may be a simple system from the employee side, it's a complete mess for administrators. There are hundreds of nuances and settings that you have to dig through and spend dozens of hours reading their incomplete and oversimplified support documentation. All of this could be circumvented with a 5 minute phone call. In fact, if it wasn't for their sales rep helping me set up the initial settings, I might never have used their platform at all. But that was the last time I was able to speak to a human being at their company. The most astounding factor is that they don't have ANY upgraded customer support options even if you have 100s of users and pay them $1000s per month. This company needs to get their shit together. I'm looking into moving over to Abacus or Concur.

Pros

Employees will find most features relatively straightforward.

Cons

They need to seriously improve their customer support. It's messaging ONLY and the support staff takes HOURS to respond and when they do, it's completely off the mark. Their support staff is based in Australia and only work SUNDAYS to THURSDAYS U.S. time.