Amicus Attorney

Legal case management solution

Catherine F.

Amicus Performance

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

I have used Amicus Attorney in the past and have always been happy with the efficiency it offers. I am the administrator and daily user of the program. The billing program is easy to use and the organization of client's files is a time saver.

Pros

The efficiency. The program for billing is easy to operate. The management of client's files is essential to our practice. Being able to add all contacts to a file is a time saver when working with same.

Cons

Nothing I can recall at this moment. I so far have not had a bad experience with this program.

Jackie E.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Much more clunky than we had hoped. Large learning curve. Making do for now.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Pros

TIME & MATTER MANAGEMENT: Timers and time entries are pretty simple. Knowing all people involved in a matter all in one place; engineers, judges, etc. is a great feature. Adding emails to a file is a good idea but time-consuming. Having all the data for a client in one place is good.

BILLING: I like that the Billing and Attorney sides are separate. Billing and accepting payments works quite well. Amicus can do split billing which is important to us. The interface with Quickbooks is quirky but after 1.7 years of working with it we've figured out most of the issues and found workarounds. Reports can be downloaded to Excel which is vital to my managing the firm.

Cons

CONS:
The end-user learning curve is huge and not intuitive which has led to a lot of attorneys entering time and not using Amicus for anything else. Text onscreen is exceptionally small, and for most users, problematic. The interface is not intuitive and takes a lot of trial and error to find the best ways to find what you want or report on the issue. We were lead to believe that the document management interface would work for us, but upon trial found out it would not work with our setup. So we're still dealing with Microsoft Explorer for managing documents, which is problematic. Overall our approval level with Amicus is likely only around 50%. There are so many features that we liked in the concept that has been difficult to get attorneys to do because the interface is not user-friendly.

TIME & MATTER MANAGEMENT: Data for our conflict database did not translate well from our previous system so conflicts checks take too long. Adding emails or files to the matter is very clunky. Ticklers are quirky and hard to work in Outlook. Tickler Reports are too limited events with no date range, or date range but no file selection. Running tickers for only one matter is impossible. Need more filters.
BILLING: Reports downloaded to Excel are impossible to use due to all the merged fields and lack of use of tables. We have to download Reports to CSV and spend time figuring out what the column headers actually are. I use the selection tools to view onscreen matters or time entries by

Michael S.

Okay Product with Lacking Features and Problems

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

Truth be told over the last month we have been switching away from this software to a very popular cloud based software. It costs quite a bit more but the lack of technical issues makes it all worthwhile. The whole point of a software it to work when you want it. Like I said there were some features that were hard to part with and truly recreate, however, overall we are happy we made the switch.

Pros

It has a fairly intuitive interface for many users and the familiar look and feel can ease some into practice management system. It has a lot of features that it does well such as calendaring. Custom precedents are a must and we are having a difficult time replacing that feature. It email saving feature is also a nice touch however using email in the application and even searching for it is cumbersome. It billing features are for the most part excellent although there is room for improvement.

Cons

In my opinion the cons out weigh the pros. Their technical support has been severely lacking in my opinion. The biggest issue is the lack of features compared to other software offerings. Most of the integrations are clunky at best. The worst is this product has had a TON of bugs over the years and constantly having to restart the services on the server is an incredible pain to say the least. If i wasn't able to do this and create a script so other users the product would be unusable. It is also fairly slow.

Anthony D.

Good software that could be great

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

Paperless offices require careful organization and this program provides a good platform. It is a little pricey, but their customer support is great.

Pros

The interface is well designed, it does a good job of maintaining data integrity. I feel that it does allow me to keep fairly organized, and it is helpful as far answering the phone and being able to get right on top of things, it is great. The sync with Outlook works most of the time, and it does a nice job with duplicates. The time keeping seems to catch almost everything, but needs improvement.

Cons

There are two possible setups, I think I chose the wrong one for my situation. If you have a "split" setup then unless you are on your network, you cannot do a lot of necessary things --such as generate documents, The handy tool that pulls up all your documents that you will need at trial, you guessed it. Finally, there are things that should be easier to do, such as copy complete tables of data.

Andrew C.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reliable service for years through upgrades and changes in our practice

Reviewed on 2016/07/29

Our firm has used Amicus since its early days and it has been a valuable addition to our practice, saving lawyers' time by making it easy to keep track of contacts, time, billing information, and for document generation. From an administrator perspective, it is easy to maintain and upgrade with good developer support and admin tools.

Pros

The core functionalities of Amicus are so ingrained in our firm's work process and so easy to use that most users take it for granted. Features added in recent years, such as Amicus Anywhere, give us confidence that Amicus is changing in the same direction as our firm while maintaining the core functionalities that we rely on.

Cons

Our worst problems with Amicus have always been caused by integration with third-party programs such as PCLaw and especially Outlook/Exchange. Integration is a huge part of what makes Amicus useful, however.

Ann B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Customer service is great. Response to issues are handled quickly.

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

I am able to print labels, conflict check, do calendars, etc. in a much more time saving and efficient manner.

Pros

The database features for entering client data (i.e. name, matters, conflict check) in criminal cases and ability to run the reports we need, as well as the calendar. Also, love being able to print labels from the database.

Cons

Too many features that our firm will never use. We are a small firm and don't need linked forms, exhibits, etc. Maybe Abacus should offer the product with the ability to customize the product with items the firm will actually use. I know of several law firms in the area, including my previous employer that stopped using abacus because of all the new add ons and changes. Everyone really loved the older version.

Michael E.

Amicus Attorney Software

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

The ability to integrate your emails, calendar, reminders, and case load all in one is what sets amicus apart. Whenever I have had a problem the support team has acted promptly and efficiently. Very courteously as well.

Cons

Many of the features take to much time to set up. As a small firm, we do not have a separate IT department and simply cannot deploy amicus to its full potential. Also, I have seen staff become overwhelmed with the software. Training can be tedious.

Response from AbacusNext

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. We're glad to hear you're enjoying the integrations! It's also good to hear our support team acted quickly and professionally to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to reach out to our team so we can help you make the most of your investment.

Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Warmly,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Paulette R.

Software Review

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

We are able to exchange all information for a client between PCLaw and Amicus. Cuts down on the double re-entries. I can attach files to the contact for quick reference. Clients are able to have their copies of pleadings and correspondence, cuts down on mailing expense.

Pros

The calendar. Ease of creating an event and tagging files to the event.

Cons

When setting a new appointment I can not go to new contact and fill in that information and tag it to the Soderstrom New Client File and then when the new client hires us and I open a new file in PCLaw and do the exchange, Amicus creates a new contact and now I have two contacts for the same person. It would be nice if there was some way to merge the contacts into one and then I would only have to enter the information once.

Jonathan W.

Using Amicus for 17 years

Reviewed on 2016/07/27

I selected Amicus Attorney as my practice management software the day I opened my solo practice almost 17 years ago., and have never been disappointed. I had researched competing software, and realized that the Amicus interface was far superior. Although I occasionally look at alternatives, my initial assessment remains the same, and I would choose Amicus Attorney if starting anew.

Pros

Ease of use for daily functions; time-keeping and seamless integration with PCLaw; calendar and to do features.

Cons

1) that a full featured cloud version is not yet available; and 2) that it does integrate fully with Worldox as a document manager, rather than the rather unhelpful document links within Amicus.

Laurie C.

For our purposes, this software does everything that most the firm members expect of it.

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

The calendaring feature works as expected, and all members associated with that event are able to see the event on their calendar and make any changes or updates to it, as necessary. The telephone feature works, even if you don't have your phone system connected to your computer, as it allows you to make notes and keep track of your billable time. The time entry assistant is really nice, as it allows you to identify items in your day that you may have overlooked for billing purposes.

Cons

Does not integrate as seamlessly with WordPerfect as I had hoped, an does not lend itself to some email providers other than outlook.

Laurie C.

Amicus Premium 2016 update

Reviewed on 2016/08/01

Love the software. Having the client contact information, the team's calendars, file events, ToDo's, and the individual team members timesheets at my fingertips is invaluable when working the the clients' files.

Pros

For me, the most used feature is, of course, the calendar, followed very closely by the phone message/communications feature.

Cons

It would be easier if the reports feature, used to print timesheets and phone messages, printed in a better format. Currently, the format used is one that has to be then modified and/or edited for easier readability before printing.

Kellie B.

Abacus Senior Development Manager

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

Because of the Senior Business Development Manager for Abacus, A.R., assigned to our account, our experiences with Amicus/Abacus are always positive. A.R. is absolutely fantastic to work with, very knowledgeable, and able to get immediate results. Having A.R. on your staff will ensure your customers are always happy and satisfied.

Pros

Amicus has been bought by Abacus.

Cons

Amicus Attorney has constant problems that never seem to be fixed. Now that Abacus has bought Amicus, and is running the show, I am sure it will get better because Abacus products/representatives are topnotch professionals who actually care about putting a great product out for their customers, and genuinely care about their customers, and always go the extra mile for them.

Ranj S.

Upgrade

Reviewed on 2018/10/18

I have just had to tweak the program to my preference. I was able to do this very easily with the assistance of technical support. The technical support team has been very helpful.

Pros

The transition from the old Amicus program to Amicus Platinum was very easy and non-stressful.

Cons

Some features are a challenge. For example the size of the font for emails needs to be automatically saved to the users preference.
You cannot change the time for email synchronization.
You cannot cut and paste into an email prior to integration

Melissa S.

My Amicus Review

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

Saves us time because that is where we store contact information, client updates on the case and calendar appointments for clients.

Pros

I like that we can store information on the Notepad section for each individual client. I also like that you can send "instant" messages to co-workers.

Cons

The software times out after awhile and I have to close the entire program and reboot it. Also, when I'm in the calendar and look at a date in the future if I reopen the calendar it does not default back to the current date.

Evelyn M.

Amicus Attorney

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

As I mentioned to CSR - entering calendar dates and client information the program is great.

Pros

calendar entries are quick. setting up contact information and new files is wonderful.

Cons

I don't use hot docs other than for check requests and setting up new files.
I find that receiving a document such as a pleading from an attorney who used hot docs sometimes is not friendly with word. I usually will take the contents from a hot doc document and use my own pleading formatted documents.

Amicus Attorney PE: A Great Idea Whose Time Has Long Passed

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

We've use Amicus Attorney for over ten years. It originally had superior functionality, and it showed great promise for future development. Unfortunately, as time has moved forward, Amicus Attorney did not. For us, some of its modules, e.g., "Communications" have stopped working. I see I have "phone messages" but none are available to retrieve. There is no fix to my knowledge until perhaps a new update. Calendaring events, "To Do's" no longer provide useful information to staff because repeating events clog the calendar rather than showing a single even in a month. Even creating a file or a contact has become an inordinately difficult task.

Pros

It can handle "project codes" for clients so that work on performed on various matters can be billed in a single file but the fees and costs can be subtotaled by that matter. This is a rare among the software or cloud based apps that exist currently. Once it was set up (for an additional fee), it has worked well for many, many years.

Cons

The software! It is outdated and unmanageable. Modules inexplicably stop working. Syncing with Outlook is painful, when it works.

Customer support (even though we have prepaid for it) is worthless. You only get return calls, days later. And the information is unhelpful. This required us to retain, at added cost. outside technical support.

Extremely Disappointing Result

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Extremely disappointment service, product and cloud service via Abacus. I cannot recommend this prodcurt or service at all.

Pros

It's easy to use when it works. Most users can be up and running in a day.

Cons

The program has a huge problem with the accounting link between Amicus and QuickBooks. The link breaks multiple times per week. Abacus, the cloud provider for the product, has no way to easily fix the problem. You may have to wait literally for days and sometimes as long as a week for the tech support department to fix the problem. During that waiting period, you lose all accounting functionality. This is completely unacceptable. I've notified Amicus and Abacus multiple times and it is clear at this point and after nearly two years of this disappointing performance that the companies(neither Amicus nor Abacus) have any intention of resolving the problem. We have nearly 30 licenses and a fully staffed accounting department. Amiucs sold us their accounting software package representing that it would work. It does not work because of the constant disruption of the link with QuickBooks. I've been an Amicus client for nearly 18 years. We have made the decision to replace the product.

Ashley P.

Amicus review

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

Pros

I appreciate the flexibility of scheduling (red letter dates versus appointments).

Customer service was friendly and was able to fix our problem quickly (We got a "read only" error)

Cons

I am still new to the office/system but so far Amicus seems to be able to cover all the basics needed to run a law office.

Lance V.

Amicus Attorney review

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

I've used the product for 25 years. I won't ever change. It works well for my practice.

Pros

The integration of the calendar, contacts, files, and billing is ideal for my practice. Once it is set up, it's very easy to use.

Cons

I wish certain things were customizable like the email templates.

Tammy J.

Amicus Attorney Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/22

It's a good tool to keep everything streamlined and in one location.

Pros

Ability to have all coworkers on the same page with appointments, files, etc.

Cons

If we have a power outage, it takes quite a while for our IT team to get us back on line with Amicus. Not sure if it's more of an Amicus issue or an IT issue.

Todd C.

Great office management software

Reviewed on 2018/01/30

Time and client management

Pros

Every user has the ability to view calendars/schedules and maintain client files. File sharing is very easy.

Cons

Charges associated with mobile access are an additional maintenance cost. Features should be included in purchased versions.

Kelora H.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I see the potential benefits of this program but we've had too much difficulties with some...

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

Pros

It has great features when they can be used. Unfortunately, we've never been able to make use of some of those features.

Cons

Difficulties with integration, file information hasn't always transferred and help was often no help at all.

Jacqueline B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Love this softy

Reviewed on 2020/07/09

Overall I have a positive experience with this software it works great for me

Pros

Oh it’s so easy to use. I usually have to figure out software for myself as there’s usually no one To show me This was pretty easy to figure out and great organizational tool. Once the database was created everything just flowed with the calendar and the client files together.

Cons

There’s not much that I can say that I don’t like about the software. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t work well with word documents. At least that has been my experience maybe I’m doing something wrong

Bradley T.

Opinion

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

Pretty good. For the most part I'm happy with it.

Pros

I like how easy it is to go between attorney and billing. I like that I can get a lot of information regarding the billing and prepare a bill right from the file

Cons

The reports. I have a hard time getting the financial information I need from the reports. I had more options in Amicus Accounting that I no longer have.

Nina T.
  • Industry: Legal Services

so far it has been pleasant but could use a bit more features

Reviewed on 2018/01/30

organization.

Pros

I like that you are able to generate documents on amicus. I also love that customer service is quite helpful when I have a problem.

Cons

I don't like it when others are logged into a certain client's file I can't logged at the same time to make corrections or add additional information.