Wintac

Wintac is now part of the FieldEdge family!

4,2
3,9
3,9
4,2
Elizabeth (liz) C.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Customer and Tecnical Support Representatives are outstanding

Reviewed on 2018/11/22

Pros

It is a low cost alternative to others since you can purchase the license and choose to pay for the maintenance/ upgrades and support annually. You can own the license - you do not pay a monthly fee to use it.

It does everything we want to to at this time and they are building on its features after moving to a new technical platform that supports the development of new features.

Cons

1) I wish the option to set a daily backup were menu driven and did not require a person familiar with SQL. That would make it so much easier and efficient.

2) We are asked to perform upgrades and installations. Unfortunately, the instructions do not always work and the installation is complex. Wintac suggests that a network engineer perform them. FORTUNATELY, when I get stuck, I can call Customer Technical Support and they know almost before I ask, what needs to be done. To me this sounds like an opportunity to intake enhancements for future releases of the software, and I bet it is. The Davisware people seem to have brought things under control after a rough few months after the acquisition and transition to v2017 and v2018. Good work!

Douglas O.
Industry: Facilities Services

Daily Use

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

Overall I have always been satisfied with Wintac & it’s support.
Accountants & there unwilling approach to Wintac is my mostly trying problem. They seem to only want simple booking as Quick Books does for them.

Pros

Most of the time I think it’s a good program & excellent for its cost. Here lately with the upgrades it is getting more complicated..

Cons

I used to call in for problems & they could solve almost anything from conflicts to programming.
Now will all the new upgrades they won’t help with certain setups with antivirus conflicts. I understand it takes longer when dealing with other programs. I was much happier when I could call & get my problems solved with there help.
It seems to me that in order for technical support to get more calls done per day they push off some technical problems. When Running a small company and wear many hats you don’t have time to learn all the procedures to make a program work on your computer. I miss having the attention given to fully making everything work with your computer. It is hard to understand and solve other computer problems when you don’t have the time.

Tavie G.

Software overflowing with problems

Reviewed on 2016/08/29

When we first bought this software program, we had asked a series of questions to make sure this was the right product for us. Turns out, over a third of the questions we asked and were told this program could do, was nothing more than a flat out lie. But they could do what we asked if we paid several thousand dollars more than we had already paid, to add in these features we were told that the software already had.

We have been using this software for 2 years now, and are have nothing but problems. I am only going to list the bigger issues we have, mainly because, I'm not writing a novel here, just a review.

-We haven't been able to fill our 2015 taxes so far this year, because our income and expenses from 2014 change every day. We have not been making any changes where these numbers should be changing in any way. This is an extremely serious issue, so far their tech support hasn't been able to tell us why this is happening.

-When we go to look up a customer, more than half the time, the customer account won't show up, as if there is no account at all. Then, same with when we finally do get into the account, half of the service history is just gone. Most the time the accounts will show back up, we will either need to restart the program or open on another computer and then they will be back. But we have lost a few accounts to this glitch, where they never showed back up.

-When writing checks to our vendors, I will put in the amount that needs to be paid, but once the check is written, it is for a complete different amount. This will happen about a third of the time when writing checks, and I have yet to find any reason why this is happening.

-Taxes are not updated annually. Federal taxes should be and need to be updated annually.

-There have been 11 updates to this software so far this year, each causing more problems, one of the most recent being, customer statements. Customer statements were printing the wrong amount due.

-We have to run housekeeping on this software every day. Because if we don't, we are more likely to lose accounts, more reporting issues, more checks incorrectly written, etc.

This software is junk. Their price makes it look good for what they say they offer, but with all these issues, it is a complete waste of money.

Pros

Nothing

Cons

Income and Expense reports changing for no reason, tax tables, customer accounts disappearing, reporting options are very limited, software decides to pay what every amount it feels like.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Rick L.
Industry: Construction

The best software for a small service company!

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

The biggest benefit I saw right way is my profits kept going up month after month. The accounting part of this software is great.

Pros

The software was a complete all in one. Very easy to learn how to use. Invoicing in real time at the job site. Looking up past history of a customer at the job without need to call into the office.
No more needing to have Multiple programs.

Cons

Only being a windows base program. I would like to see it for Apple.

Scott G.

Wintac review

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

I have been using Wintac for close to twenty years and it meets my needs

Pros

The ease of setup and the grouping of tasks

Cons

All of the small bugs that have happened in the accounting side

Aaron N.
Industry: Building Materials

Where is the OLD INTAC COMPANY?

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

We have been using Wintac for 20+ years and the support was always top tier. I have personally worked with INTAC developers in fixing bugs, adding new features and it was always a joy. INTAC would ask new potential customers to call us and I would personally talk to them convincing them to buy. Since Davisware software company has purchased them the support is horrible. We will not be renewing our maintenance next year with them and we will not recommend their software to anyone. We renewed our agreement with them in April but they put us as inactive. They want you fill out a ticket for each issue, I filled out a few tickets but the tickets were being ignored because we were marked inactive. You would think since we have been a customer with them for 20+ years they would have the common courtesy to call and say hey we can't answer your tickets because we marked you inactive even though you renewed your agreement. You are now just a cash cow. We are a pretty good sized AC company, you would think that matters, it doesn't. We will give our money to another company next year.

Also they cannot even answer simple questions, they immediately want to log into your computer. I have no issues with that, however you should know MS access error codes or have a database that can point you to them and not need to log into the computer. There is no chat support anymore, so either you wait on the phone or hope they answer your tickets.

Pros

Wintac meets a wide variety of industries needs.

Cons

The software itself is pretty good, however it still uses access forms, so guess what? Every time there is an office update, it potentially will break it, the SUPPORT sucks. They need better communication, better trained support reps.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Ed W.

Wintac Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

Overall I am a fan of Wintac. I can't say that it has solved any business issues. We are just learning about the portal. I am hoping it will be useful.

Pros

For the most part it is user friendly. The transition from our old software to Wintac was fairly painless. The dispatch board is user friendly. The WIP process is very good.

Cons

1. The browse feature to find a customer is not very good. The name must be perfect.
2. I don't like the WIP description writing feature. It's not in word format and does not allow you to easily write a paragraph or use symbols.
3. the PO writing feature is not user friendly. It may be us not using it often. We have been struggling with it because it's not user friendly.
4. Some of the reports are cumbersome. The cash flow report does not work and is not accurate. I called tech support and they could not fix it. They told me not to use the report. it was not a good answer.

5. I wish there was easier training with the system. The portal seems to be cumbersome. I am hoping that it gets easier once we get used to it.

Nancy B.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Operating Partner

we have been using the system for over 5 years and would like to have more
features in accounts payable and job costing updated

Pros

provides good job costing, dispatching board is clear and color coding is easy to see emergencies from regular calls

Cons

accounts payable is not as user friendly as other programs

Gary M.

Wintac Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

We have been with Wintac for many years and it has helped us with Dispatching, customer records, Invoicing, cutting down on paper. I will admit, we do not use Wintac to it's full potential

Pros

Ease of changing settings. Multi user platforms

Cons

The Field Tech Portal is not user friendly and needs work.

Barrett W.
Industry: Chemicals

Great service software

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Great software for our service company
Really do not know how we did it with out wintac!

Pros

Very versatile service software. We use it for multiple business.

Cons

The cost of each user is a lil pricey but overall I would say it is worth it.

Michelle O.

office manager/plumber

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

it has been a good experience overall, the tech support guys are fabulous, and on the general day to day there are no major issues.

Pros

it is relatively easy to use...the dispatch board is great, just don't use visual placement mode, it will mess you up every time..!!

Cons

stability issues before this new version, reports should be able to be completely customized by zip code, dollar amount, city, generated revenue etc...you should have a list of search criteria that you could click on and then a list of reports that you can generate based on that criteria... it is very complicated to find the report you want now. and if you pull some reports looking for the same info you do not always get all of the info on the same report, you have to do multiple different reports to get all the info you are looking for. also, when using reports you often get the client name, but not their address or phone number, then it is necessary to look up each client to get their address to be able to market or whatever u need to contact that client for.

you should also be able to search for maintenance service by item code, date of install, date of next service...etc

new version does still freeze up, and the right side search bar under customer/job manager takes FOREVER to locate any text.

Also on the customer/job screen under the email address bars is a tab labeled business... if that is for finding out how people heard about you shouldn't it be called something else..?? Like advertising...source of call.. something that makes more sense than business...

i'm sure there is more, but i just can think of anything else right now...

Cooper H.
Industry: Construction

A little wonky, but very powerful

Reviewed on 2016/11/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I run a plumbing and remodeling company. For a long time now I have been looking into software that combined our dispatching, invoicing, inventory, and did it all wirelessly. I found Wintac while looking around on the internet. There were a few other options, but none of them included all of the functionality I was looking for. Their sales staff was very good, and offered a free 30 day trial. This trial was very limited, and basically just a demo to show off the UI. It was enough to sell me.

Everything changed after I purchased the software. The tech support was really good, but I opted out of their "bootcamp" plan that helps get you familiar with the product. I am not sure if that was a good deal or not. Either way, it was a very steep learning curve. Like I said, the program is very powerful, so there are many, many features. While powerful, the UI is clunky and unintuitive. The program has a tendency to lockup, throw error codes, and crash. A lot of this has to due with the dispatch screen. I am running a powerful server, and the PCs for the terminals are decent enough that this issue isn't a performance issue. I believe a lot of it has to do with using Microsoft Access as a back end.

We got the dispatching and invoicing side of things up and running first. The web portal set up is very complicated, but their tech support handled it. We had several issues with the IP that we had to work out between Wintac and our telecom provider. Eventually everything got worked out and we were up and running. We switched over to Xcharge as our merchant processor, since they have direct integration with the Wintac software. It works fairly well, but it too is wonky. The interface between Wintac and Quickbooks works very well, when it works. For whatever reason, it often will toss out an error code, failing to send either/both the invoice or receipt to QB. This is very frustrating, but you get used to it.

I have finally started using the inventory management side of the program. Again, it is wonky and unituitive, but powerful. You can have up to 20 different locations and manage each one's inventory separately. I haven't gotten there yet, but I will control each vans' inventory using this. Right now I have my warehouse inventoried, though it isn't an active one yet. I am working on a process where the guys request inventory, and it gets recorded as such. The UI to control all of this is strangely formatted and seems tacked on. Strange, because the abilities it has are powerful.

Overall, this software could be extraordinary. It is held back by a poor UI and bugs. It certainly does what is promised, but it makes it much harder than it needs to be with the clunky UI. I give it 4 stars, deducting one because of the painful interface.

Pros

Power - It can do a huge amount of things.
Wireless - The web portal lets you schedule your guys, invoice the customer, manage inventory, and get paid all without a piece of paper. It prevents double entry as well.
Flexibility - You can set up your dispatching in a number of different ways and tag them with custom fields that allow you to sort through it quickly.

Cons

UI - The UI is clunky, and makes things harder than they need to be. If the UI were simplified and revamped, I would give this program 5 stars.
Bugs - There are lots of bugs and crashes. There are things that can be done to mitigate these somewhat, but the workarounds seem absurd sometimes. There are regular patches that seem to address some of the bugs, but they often create new ones.

Jon A.

Wintac

Reviewed on 2018/11/01

Pros

We have been long time users of Wintac, in fact, we are very early adopters of the software (~24 years) Development has continued to keep up with changes in Microsoft Windows and associated hardware. It is the life blood of our HVAC service and installation business with over 114,000 customer records. The capabilities & features continue to added. The customer support is far above average, specially in today's trend to move limited support offshore or email only. You typically get assistance in a reasonable amount of time that US based live support on the phone which is worth the price of the software.

Cons

The purchase of Wintac by Davisware leaves questions on what the future will bring for Wintac Users. Davisware has said they are committed to supporting and continuing the development of Wintac, time will tell.

No commitment on being GDPR complaint from Davisware. Although our customer locations are local to us here in the US, several are residents of the EU.

Sometimes fixes/patches to software bugs take longer than we would like but the do usually get addressed.

Although part of the problem was caused by us, but part but Wintac is that in our case we have more information than fits in the regular customer page. This has lead us to put important data in non-indexed fields which makes searching for customer information much slower than we would like. This is especially exacerbating when on the phone with a customer.

Rich H.
Industry: Consumer Services

Not able to meet the needs

Reviewed on 2016/12/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

After 18 months we are still not able to get all the "known issues" resolved. They are very responsive to our issues, however, the team is unable to fix the issues, sitting the next version addresses them. Inventory was the selling feature for our small company, and we are still not able to figure out why when posting purchases, they mysteriously remove inventory, change pricing (revert to previous costs). Their solution is to reprocess the WIP, but that is not a cost effective solution. As one could see, this will affect financials as the cost of goods is affected. We have spent hours, on hours data mining the reports to find the errors within the program.
We have 1300 customers in an oil and propane delivery and service business. Until we brought it to their attention, they were not aware the ticket printing did not work and caused the crash of CPU, resulting in complete data loss. They "rebuilt" our data over 6 times in the 18 months we have had this program, nuts! They have "fixed" the printer issues, but still we have crashes that require the shut down during busy times, but we have the process to avoid loss of data, and they have supported this issue by providing rebuilding data and such.
Currently, we are unable to invest in another solution and have found work around to get us to be able to operate. However, the cost of hours, lost time due to crashes, along with the extensive work to validate financials has left us with a very poor overall customer experience. It is too bad, as their techs work hard to try and help. This corporation needs to invest in its product. We would have been willing to pay more, as this is priced for YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Pros

Ability to manage work orders, dispatch board, and customer job manager.

Cons

Financials are somewhat limited on reporting and ability to reconcile the cost center balances to obtain the adjusted trial balance., employee payroll has limited ability to provide what is required to report to state and federal, inventory management is a complete nightmare, with changes that cannot be explained, but some are a result of system design with many areas for error.

Patricia M.
Industry: Construction

I've been a Happy Wintac customer since 1999.

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Things I'd like to see:
Ability to use the Square app within the program for credit cards payments.
Abiltiy to use the mapping app of our choice (Waze is my favorite)
I thought someone asked at some point about a web based program. I've used that to manage Boy Scout troops and it seems like a good idea.
In the Web Portal, when a tech has a customer sign the WIP, there is no way for the main computer (in the office) to keep a record of it unless it is emailed to the office, opened, and saved. Also, since this is the only way to save it on the main computer, it would be nice to be able to choose to have all signed WIPs automatically mailed to an office email address.
In the Web Portal, it would be nice to be able to advance a WIP from one day to the next and to be able to look at "yesterday's" jobs instead of looking at the entire "last week".
I hated rating you with some 4s on the survey, before the SQL thing, it would have been all 5s.

Pros

Wintac has very good customer service. They have always helped me with my problems and seem to be continuously working to make it a better program. I recently added the Web Portal and I love being able to check the schedule when I'm on the road.

Cons

I really enjoy using Wintac. My only big issue was working out the kinks with the change to the SQL Database. It was/is a little frustrating at times.

Delana D.
Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Wonderful program, great tech support

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

We really have had no major problems with the program it does payroll and invoices so it saves on paying a printer, you pick the format, how you want it to print, up loading files are easy to add to a specific invoice. Looking up jobs are simple and there are multiple ways to see what technician is scheduled for daily ,weekly or monthly, and you can run multiple businesses using one program. There is a lot of the program we still have not used. It is definitely a good program.

Pros

Any time I need help a representative can always help me. They are courteous and very helpful. The program is easy to use. Making invoices writing checks, adding technicians and sending statements are a breeze. The payroll program is easy to use. Although I have not used the portal yet. The Tech. support is great anytime I call, which is not often.

Cons

The only con is the updates, although they are no hard to do, they are not automatic and are time consuming when you have multiple computers. You can't use the program when you are updating so it is easier to do after hours, but then the Tech support closes at 5 pm. I have only needed them once when updating so I had to wait until the next day.

Lori R.

Still Learning

Reviewed on 2016/09/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I researched quite a number of software options before we settled on Wintac. One of our criteria was that our software would NOT use the cloud - that left us very few options when it really came down to it. While the cloud offers a lot of convenience, there are security risks as well. We also wanted a lot of features though too, and we're not a typical "construction" business, so our scheduling needs aren't "typical" either. We run multiple jobs per day since we focus on cleaning gutters and pressure washing jobs rather than building or remodeling projects. So, we needed something was flexible, offered the ability to schedule as many or few jobs per day as we needed, track multiple crews doing different jobs, have accounting built in, and have marketing built in. Wintac has it all, and the flexibility we needed, while keeping our data securely on our own servers.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, marketing features, ability to have multiple separate databases (if you're running different stores and don't want to mix customer lists, for example), reports, accounting, and options to extend features if someone wants to be more mobile.

Cons

It does take some getting used to, and I can't look at multiple customers at the same time. Nor can I look at multiple screens of one customer at the same time. So it means that sometimes I have to open and close screens a lot more than I'd like to get all the information I need. Overall though, I prefer it over other construction software I've used!

Sue T.

Total Package

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

Overall we are happy using Wintac. For small companies the software package offers the most functionality at the right price point. I could not imagine trying to schedule our techs without the dispatch board.

Pros

We like the ability to use the same program for our accounting and job scheduling. The dispatch board makes it very easy to see who is available for jobs and you can easily move jobs around. We store all our customer information in Wintac so that we can go back and see what has been done at each location.

Cons

As with any program there are glitches which can cause problems. It seems that we need to run housekeeping before each time we run a balance sheet in order to make sure it is balanced.

The last time I needed to call support there was a bit of a hold time. I have not had to call in a few months so it may have improved.

Online documentation / training is weak.

New features - it seems that all new functionality will come at a price.

Craig A.

Wintac has a lot to offer

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Pros

Wintac is a very one step at a time program that we have been using for over 20+ years. The details for customer info and products for equipment and warranties is simple and reports are easy to generate. The dispatching screen is very customizable and tech friendly. The web portal is great for tecs to use in the field to complete invoices, make proposals and even add new customers. Great for the after hours crew. Lots of value for the price. Customer service is always available to help with any issues that may occur. Great for small to mid-sized companies.

Cons

That the web portal has limits that cannot be changed for example address spelling changes, customer name spelling changes, and no real dashboard for viewing the work schedule, it could be a bit updated to a real dashboard view. We also could use a multiple window view feature, I believe it is in the new 2018 version this fall.

Sheila W.
Industry: Building Materials

Wintac User Friendly

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

We are cutting down on our billing time because of the portals. This is helping our cash flow issues. We are also able to see our cost per hour of our service team. We have had this year more issues caused by Windows 10, but the Wintac team has helped solve them and get us back running when we have issues and are down. We are hoping 2019 all issues are solved.

Pros

Wintac is user friendly, I can train my new service techs fast to use the portal. We love being able to collect money on the service call and totally paperless. We love being able to track the customers equipment and warranties and Wintac has a great process for this application. We are also using the notification system recently and we are loving this feature as well.

Cons

We are a small company with 4 computers and are not able to use the double screen feature. I can be in the middle of payroll and have to get completely out to answer phone and make an order for dispatching a service tech.

Mark M.

Works Great for us

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

We were introduced to Wintac about 5 years ago by searching on line and after a couple demo's, found this to be the best fit for our Plumbing & Heating Business. Really like it and look forward to being part of the Wintac/Davisware growth.

Pros

I love the fact that it is an all-in-one program and don't have to link with other inventory systems or accounting software. It holds a lot of information and I believe it is unlimited depending on your storage ability. I have had to update my storage a couple times in 5 years. Great over all experience and program and anyone looking to get into this type of system, it is well worth it. They are also growing and creating more options as they progress and the system is certainly getting better.

Cons

Kind of plain but efficient. I would like to see a better search engine for inventory and a drop down menu system as you type in the product to auto-search.

David T.
Industry: Consumer Services

The process of going paperless was made so much easier by picking the right Service Software. In our case that was Winatc

Reviewed on 2017/06/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This software is very powerful and flexible. We started using it in November, rolled to a couple of technicians in December, and phased the rest in between January and April. We have had very little problems. The problems we do have are always related to our hardware or internet provider set up. Even in these issues, Wintac support has been extremely helpful in resolving. Accounting Links to Quick Books was a breeze once we got Wintac support online to help. There were configuration issues in Quick Books. Rather than sending us to Quick Books Support they accessed our Quick Books remotely and changed the settings that were causing our issues. They are really amazing at support.

Pros

Easy to set up. Easy to learn. Great support documentation built in. Wintac online support is really good at getting to the problem and resolving the issue quickly.

Cons

If there is a con, it is that it is not specifically built to our exact company needs. But, that kind specificity is only available if we pay to have someone build a software application proprietary and to our exact needs. That is extremely expensive and beyond the scope of what we really needed. The flexibility of Wintac more than solves these minor issues for us. The price was definitely reasonable. So, the price and flexibility make up for any lack of specific details that we may have "liked".

James D.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Not the best UI, but amazing customer service. Also, no Mac support?!

Reviewed on 2019/07/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This program, albeit a little bit difficult to use, has quite a few of the features we were looking for in management software. However, as most of us use Macs, the lack of support for that operating system is disappointing. When it works, it works great. But with the lack of Mac support and no automatic updates is something we hope will be remedied with a future update.

Pros

We love having the ability to do all of our tasks such as managing inventory, invoices, and payment options all in one app. It’s also very handy to be able to manage multiple inventories within the app. We also love the customer service! They’re very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

We do not like that we cannot use this program on our Apple computers. Most of our employees use Macs so we have to keep a PC around to use this software. Hopefully, they’ll fix that in the future. The user interface leaves a lot to be desired. It would help if it were more refined and a little bit simpler. It has a rather steep learning curve and even then, it’s still a bit difficult to use. The updates are also a pain. They’re not automatic, meaning you lose time that could be spent working. If they were automatic, you could schedule them for hours when your business is closed. Maybe a future update?

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Dennis G.
Industry: Utilities

Been using it a long time

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

Wintac doesn't solve any problems for us. It's only a tool to a means to save customers data for us. I can get that from a number of software outfits. To be one of the best, is to call me and I can explain my 15 years of using this software the pros and cons if you want to a first hand in the trenches opinion. It's mostly good and most of the ideas have already been mentioned before. Just not implemented

Pros

Has multi functions for office and field use, from a dispatch to data entry

Cons

Currently field use of Portal systems don't have a great search engine for inventory when entering 'Items & Amounts".
Lately now they have new software updates and I hate updating constantly as we have technically challenged IT issues and now we no longer get helpdesk assistance from Wintac to do our updates. So I don't do the updates until I have nothing better to do. And that is during our offseason as I'm an HVAC contractor and we are weather related business.

Eddie T.

Great all around Service Tool!

Reviewed on 2016/08/04

We have been using Wintac for our air conditioning and heating business for over ten years. Overall the product is easy to use and new employee's train quickly on it. The web portal is a great tool too!

Pros

The ability to keep track of customers, technicians at the click of a mouse. Quick billing and less time for inner office employees to duplicate invoices with the use of the web portal.

Cons

Have requested to have some changes to the taxing for difference in commercial and residential taxing but to have it made is very expensive. I believe it should be part of the program as it is required by State Sales Tax rules. It makes book keeping complicated.